CZB's Chart, June - 2018 (Month 465) and 1981 (Month 23)

Moderators: JSparksFan, tdc2000, FreakyFlyBry

Postby heppolo » Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:32 pm

47 ---- 01 ROBIN (THE HOODED MAN) Clannad

Oh, I like Clannad's music.
Waffles are checked cookies
heppolo
Legend

Postby CZB » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:55 am

Thanks for the comments ! :D

Benny wrote:'Calling America' is one of my favourite ELO songs, what a shame that it wasn't as successful as most of their other songs!
I think in 1986 they were kind of 'out'. :(
It's one of my favourites too - and I think you're right. I was trying to remember other hits they had in the UK in the late 80s, and couldn't come up with any. Checking the Official Chart archive, it was their last top forty entry - there was then only "So Serious" and "Getting To The Point" which just made it to 77 and 97 respectively. And it had been three years since their previous big UK hit, "Rock 'N' Roll Is King" . . . . .

cheapthrills wrote:I only recognize The Final Countdown. I feel like I don't know the 80s at all :lol:
Most of the others were chart hits somewhere - although not necessarily very big ones, nor in the UK or other major territories ! The interesting thing about "The Final Countdown" is that it reached number one in my chart in October 1986, which was two months before it got to number one in the UK ! It had been released a few months earlier, and been massively successful, in other European countries, including the Netherlands.

heppolo wrote:47 ---- 01 ROBIN (THE HOODED MAN) Clannad

Oh, I like Clannad's music.
Their biggest singles chart success in the UK and other countries was another TV theme, the one from "Harry's Game" - which also did better in my chart, peaking at number 13. "Robin" didn't improve on its entry position of 47 this month !

However, the most successful Clannad track on my chart wasn't even a single, but an album track I discovered quite by chance some time after its original 1973 release:

CZB
Legend

Postby CZB » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:15 pm

Now . . . . . in the past, I have always waited until all the tracks first released in a particular calendar year have dropped out of my monthly top forty before compiling a chart of the year. The reasoning is that they continue to score points towards their grand total for as long as they remain in the monthly top forty. However, at the end of last year I did give an undertaking to try to catch up with all the recent years for which I hadn't yet posted an annual chart in the opening months of 2018, starting with 2012 - so we now reach 2017.

Inevitably, then, this is only a first look at my chart of that year - because almost all of the tracks that most impressed me from 2017 are still in my chart now ! And it may take quite some further time for them all to drop out - particularly those still riding high and/or climbing, such as Ed Sheeran's "Perfect" and Dua Lipa's "Homesick", both of which are currently in my top three. Those two, and probably several others, will certainly eventually rise to much higher positions for the year as a whole.

However, I think the top two of 2017 at present are sufficiently far ahead of everything else (and are still gaining a few extra points as they approach the end of their time in the top forty) that nothing is likely to displace them. Everything else, though, is still subject to change before finalisation, in maybe a year to eighteen months' time ! So here is the way 2017 - yet another desperately poor recent year for new music - was for me (so far!) . . . . .

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ CZB'S TRACKS OF 2017 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Greatest Hits Of The Year:

01 01 13 CITY LIGHTS Blanche ++
02 01 12 TONGUE TIED Earl ## ++
03 02 11 LITTLE HOLLYWOOD Alle Farben and Janieck ++
04 02 13 SCARED OF THE DARK Steps ++
05 01 08 ONE MORE TIME Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark (OMD) ## ++
06 02 09 MORE THAN YOU KNOW Axwell /\ Ingrosso ## ++
07 02 07 FEEL IT STILL Portugal. The Man ## ++
08 01 11 STORY OF A HEART Steps ++
09 01 06 SI T'ETAIS LA Louane ## ++
10 06 10 SIGN OF THE TIMES Harry Styles ## ++

All other tracks that reached the top forty:

11 09 08 PRAYING Kesha ++
12 04 06 ALL THAT GLITTERS Earl ++
13 04 05 BEAUTIFUL TRAUMA P!nk ## ++
14 11 09 SYMPHONY Clean Bandit featuring Zara Larsson ## xx
15 15 09 A DREAM THAT NEVER STOPS Ozark Henry
16 14 10 ON MY MIND Disciples ++
17 05 04 HERE'S TO LOVE Jasper Steverlinck ## ++
18 02 04 PERFECT Ed Sheeran ++
19 13 08 EVERYTHING NOW Arcade Fire ++
20 08 05 ARAYA Fatima Yamaha ++
21 22 05 YODEL IT! Ilinca and Alex Florea
22 03 02 HOMESICK Dua Lipa ## ++
23 27 05 BLACKBIRD Norma John
24 15 01 ZOUTELANDE Blof featuring Geike Arnaert ## ++

Near- or not-so-near- misses that appeared in the top forty breakers:

25 70 ---- PERFECT LIFE Levina
26 80 ---- HELL TO THE LIARS London Grammar
27 81 ---- DREAM ON Amy MacDonald
28 83 ---- AMAR PELOS DOIS Salvador Sobral
29 84 ---- BEAUTY AND THE BEAST Ariana Grande and John Legend
30 90 ---- CRAZY Lost Frequencies and Zonderling ## **
31 101 -- DOES IT MATTER Janieck xx
32 101 -- HAVANA Camila Cabello featuring Young Thug
33 101 -- WHERE DID YOU GO (SUMMER LOVE) Regi (featuring Alexander) xx
34 102 -- BOYS Charli XCX xx
35 102 -- WITHOUT YOU Avicii featuring Sandro Cavazza xx
36 103 -- SUNNY DAYS Armin Van Buuren featuring Josh Cumbee xx
37 104 -- BACK TO YOU Louis Tomlinson featuring Bebe Rexha and Digital Farm Animals xx

Other purchases that at least appeared at the time not to be completely without some merit:

38 ---- ---- HOW IT IS (WAP BAP...) Bibi H. xx
39 ---- ---- LOUIS LOUIS Kay One xx
40 ---- ---- UP TILL DAWN (ON THE MOVE) Lucas and Steve xx
41 ---- ---- ISSUES Julia Michaels xx
42 ---- ---- I MISS YOU Clean Bandit featuring Julia Michaels xx

xx - CD-only, unreleased on vinyl

## - Former Chartbuster

++ - Still in current monthly top forty

** - About to enter monthly top forty !
CZB
Legend

Postby Benny » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:23 pm

04 02 13 SCARED OF THE DARK Steps ++
07 02 07 FEEL IT STILL Portugal. The Man ## ++
08 01 11 STORY OF A HEART Steps ++
14 11 09 SYMPHONY Clean Bandit featuring Zara Larsson ## xx

'Scared of the Dark' was my second favourite song of 2017. 'Symphony' is simply beautiful!
Overplay killed 'Feel It Still' and 'Perfect' for me. Regarding the latter I preferred the duet version with Andrea Bocelli.
Benny
Legend

Postby cheapthrills » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:17 pm

Didn't know OMD still made music! :o

Happy to see Feel It Still and Symphony in your top ten :)
It's time for the 2000-2009 Female-Led Singles Countdown!
and my Top 100 Artists countdown!
More? How about a survivor based on a countdown?
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby CZB » Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:45 pm

Thanks again for the comments ! :D

Benny wrote:14 11 09 SYMPHONY Clean Bandit featuring Zara Larsson ## xx

'Symphony' is simply beautiful!
I don't know if you receive any of the BBC television channels in continental Europe - but over the Christmas and New Year period parts of "Symphony" (especially the opening bars) were used extensively between programmes, in promotional previews and accompanying the main channels' announcements. This must have been very useful financially to the band - and of course they currently have another chart-topper over here, and also in Ireland.

Benny wrote:07 02 07 FEEL IT STILL Portugal. The Man ## ++

Overplay killed 'Feel It Still' and 'Perfect' for me. Regarding the latter I preferred the duet version with Andrea Bocelli.
It was interesting that one of the duet partners was Andrea Bocelli - as I think he had been one of the first artists to record the same track with different singers to be promoted in different countries. He was doing this as long ago as 1995 - for example, with this one:

https://www.discogs.com/Andrea-Bocelli- ... ter/362771

cheapthrills wrote:Didn't know OMD still made music! :o
Oh, they do - but, like so many other acts that used to be big some time ago, the music consumers of the UK and other countries seem to have decided that they are now just albums-chart artists ! They promoted "One More Time" as a single in Belgium (the link I used was for a live performance of it on one of that country's biggest radio stations) but it still couldn't quite reach the official top fifty there. And I think at least one other track from their latest album was promoted in the UK - but naturally without success in this current streaming-dominated environment.

Now, time for the second retro chart of this month. Thirty-seven years ago, I was sixteen years old, and had just sat my first "A" level (Maths) and tenth "O" level (Computer Studies). I was only tuning in to the chart shows of the UK and Ireland - and these were the hits that i was especially enjoying :

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
CZB'S CHART ---------------------------------- Month 23 ---------------------------------- JUNE 1981
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
01 ---- 01 CAN CAN Bad Manners [Strongest Starter] ##
02 01 10 DO IT DO IT AGAIN Raffaella Carra ##
03 04 11 FEELS LIKE I'M IN LOVE Kelly Marie
04 02 05 OLDEST SWINGER IN TOWN Fred Wedlock
05 22 02 I WANT TO BE FREE Toyah [Rapid Riser]
06 12 03 CAPSTICK COMES HOME Tony Capstick and Carlton Main Frickley Colliery Band
07 05 04 HOT LOVE Kelly Marie ##
08 03 06 THE RETURN OF THE LOS PALMAS SEVEN Madness
09 23 02 YOU DRIVE ME CRAZY Shakin' Stevens
10 21 02 STARS ON 45 Stars On 45 ##

11 10 05 SHADDUP YOU FACE Joe Dolce Music Theatre
12 17 03 JOHNNY BLUE Lena Valaitis
13 19 03 MAKING YOUR MIND UP Bucks Fizz
14 24 02 THE SWORDS OF A THOUSAND MEN Ten Pole Tudor
15 07 23 DO YOU WANT YOUR OLD LOBBY WASHED DOWN Brendan Shine [Longest Laster]
16 ---- 01 BERMUDA TRIANGLE Barry Manilow
17 08 23 THE GREEN FIELDS OF FRANCE The Fureys and Davey Arthur [Longest Laster]
18 09 07 DOCTOR WHO Peter Howell and the BBC Radiophonic Workshop
19 14 06 CARROTS Brendan Shine
20 15 04 HOROSCOPES Sheeba

21 06 05 TWILIGHT CAFE Susan Fassbender [Fastest Faller] ##
22 13 08 AND THE BIRDS WERE SINGING Sweet People
23 11 03 D-DAYS Hazel O'Connor ##
24 18 23 ONE DAY AT A TIME Gloria [Longest Laster] ##
25 16 03 DRUNKEN SAILOR Gina, Dale Haze and the Champions
26 20 05 IT'S HARD TO BE HUMBLE T. R. Dallas
27 ---- 01 TEDDY BEAR Red Sovine
28 ---- 01 GHOST TOWN The Specials
29 30 02 DOOGEENS Brendan Shine
30 ---- 01 AIN'T NO STOPPING (DISCO MIX 81) Enigma
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Nine climbers, sixteen going down, five new entries - total hits to date 139
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I never knew until today that the performers of the new entry at 30, when their record was released in the Netherlands, were credited as "Supreme" instead of "Enigma". Perhaps there was a copyright issue there with the latter name !
CZB
Legend

Postby Benny » Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:51 pm

CZB wrote:
Benny wrote:07 02 07 FEEL IT STILL Portugal. The Man ## ++

It was interesting that one of the duet partners was Andrea Bocelli - as I think he had been one of the first artists to record the same track with different singers to be promoted in different countries. He was doing this as long ago as 1995 - for example, with this one:

https://www.discogs.com/Andrea-Bocelli- ... ter/362771
'Vivo per lei' is nice, I prefer it to 'Time to Say Goodbye (Con te partirò)'.
Benny
Legend

Postby Benny » Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:52 pm

02 01 10 DO IT DO IT AGAIN Raffaella Carra ##
03 04 11 FEELS LIKE I'M IN LOVE Kelly Marie
09 23 02 YOU DRIVE ME CRAZY Shakin' Stevens
10 21 02 STARS ON 45 Stars On 45 ##
13 19 03 MAKING YOUR MIND UP Bucks Fizz

'Making Your Mind Up' is one my favourite ESC winners ever. :P
Benny
Legend

Return to Personal Charts