Matthew's Personal Top 100 of 2002

Moderators: JSparksFan, tdc2000, FreakyFlyBry

What is MY favourite song of 2002? (12 confirmed wrong votes so far)

Elton John - This Train Don't Stop Here Anymore
42%
Nickelback - How You Remind Me
58%

Total votes : 12

Postby matthew_dixon » Mon Dec 09, 2002 12:00 am

Okay, seeing as everyone else is doing it, I should mention that I too have created my top 100 songs of the year. I'll reveal numbers "Top 100 Britons style" now, here's numbers 100-11 and a few that didn't quite make it

Not quite in... Pet Shop Boys - I Get Along, Puddle Of Mudd - Control, Gorillaz - Tomorrow Comes Today, Sugababes - Round Round, Anastacia - Why'd You Lie To Me, Stamford Amp - Anything For You, Ash - There's A Star, Masai - Do That Thang, Lange featuring Skye - Drifting Away, Bowling 4 Soup - Emily, Hoobastank - Crawling In The Dark, Dandy Warhols - Get Off, Milky - Just The Way You Are, Foo Fighters - All My Life

100. Royksopp - Poor Leno
99. P Diddy featuring Usher and Loon - I Need A Girl
98. Busted - What I Go To School For
97. Anastacia - One Day In Your Life
96. Pink - Get The Party Started
95. Toploader - Some Kind Of Wonderful
94. Sarah Connor - From Sarah With Love
93. Red Hot Chilli Peppers - By The Way
92. Dr Evil and Mini Me - Hard Knock Life
91. Supergrass - Grace
90. Puddle Of Mudd - Blurry
89. Haven - Say Something
88. Super Furry Animals - It's Not The End Of The World
87. Girls Aloud - Sound Of The Underground
86. Pink - Just Like A Pill
85. Pink - Don't Let Me Get Me
84. Jason Downs featuring Milk - Trippin'
83. Cam'ron featuring Juelz Santana - Oh Boy
82. Reelists - Freak Mode
81. Liam Lynch - United States Of Whatever
80. Nelly Furtado - On The Radio
79. David Gray - Dead In The Water
78. Moby - We Are All Made Of Stars
77. Ooberman - Beany Bean
76. Tenacious D - Tribute
75. Idlewild - You Held The World In Your Arms
74. OPM - El Capitan
73. Ja Rule featuring Ashanti - Always On Time
72. Sum 41 - Motivation
71. Morcheeba - Otherwise
70. Michelle Branch - All You Wanted
69. Alicia Keys - How Come You Don't Call Me
68. Gareth Gates - Any One Of Us (Stupid Mistake)
67. City High featuring Eve - Caramel
66. Puretone - Addicted To Bass
65. Dilated Peoples - Worst Comes To Worst
64. Christina Milian - AM to PM
63. No Doubt - Hey Baby
62. Sophie Ellis-Bextor - Music Gets The Best Of Me
61. New Found Glory - My Friends Over You
60. Pink - Family Portrait
59. Suede - Positivity
58. Lemonescent - Beautiful
57. Vanessa Carlton - Ordinary Day
56. A - Starbucks
55. Oasis - Little By Little
54. Alkaline Trio - Stupid Kid
53. Alanis Morissette - Hands Clean
52. Alice Band - Don't Fear (The Reaper)
51. Ali G and Shaggy - Me Julie
50. Ja Rule featuring Case - Livin' It Up
49. Blak Twang featuring Jahmali - So Rotten
48. Sugababes - Stronger
47. Kaci - I Think I Love You
46. S Club 7 - You
45. Calling - Adrienne
44. Beta Band - Squares
43. Travis - Flowers In The Window
42. Elton John and Alessandro Safina - Your Song
41. Badly Drawn Boy - You Were Right

40. Spiritualized - Do It All Over Again
A real feel good indie tune from the start of the year - rediscovered this on a compilation album

39. Paul Oakenfold featuring Shifty Shellshock - Starry Eyed Surprise
Really laid back - like Crazy Town's old stuff - one of the summer's anthems

38. Lyte Funky Ones - Every Other Time
Yes, it's a boyband, but it is a really cool song. Always liked LFO, and this chilled number is good example why.

37. Eminem - Lose Yourself
Eminem in raw hip-hop mode. A well deserved - if surprising - number one

36. Sheryl Crow - Soak Up The Sun
A really happy song, the first of many "girls with guitars" in the top 40!

35. Bon Jovi - Everyday
Coming back with aveangance, this was another classic track from one of the worlds best bands

34. Elton John - Original Sin
Sadly flopped in the chart, but a real gem of a single from a true legend of music

33. Streets - Weak Become Heroes
Watch out for a Streets feature soon. He is the most talented lyricist of the UK urban scene - really telling it like it is...

32. Streets - Don't Mug Yourself
...which is why I've put both his singles in this chart. My album of the year.

31. Ronan Keating - If Tomorrow Never Comes
A really sad song here, and possibly the greatest song Ronan has ever sang - including Boyzone.

30. Paul Heaton - Perfect Couple
Always liked the work of Paul Heaton - and this was no exception. Amazing list of p***takes on song ***les, another lyrical and musical gem from Hull's finest

29. Rik Waller - (Something Inside) So Strong
You'd better believe it. The highest entry for a Pop Idol on my list goes to Rik Waller. I've always been a huge fan of "(Something Inside) So Strong" - ever since hearing it on telethons to raise awareness of the plight in Africa. Rik has the voice to do the song proud, and he did.

28. Athlete - You Got The Style
A really nice quirky alternative single, "You Got The Style" is one I surprised myself on for putting so high, but it's obvious why. A great song.

27. Eminem - Cleaning Out My Closet
A second top 40 appearance for Eminem - and a song that has so much emotion in it, really looking deep in to Eminem's twisted childhood. Shame it never topped the chart.

26. Chad Kroeger featuring Josey Scott - Hero
The first of two powerful film themetunes, and the first of two top 40 entries for Chad Kroeger. A really powerful rock anthem.

25. R Kelly - World's Greatest
The second powerful theme tune, is from "Ali", and one of my favourite Soul/R&B/Hip-Hop tunes of the year. I've always liked a good R Kelly ballad, and this is a good R Kelly ballad.

24. George Harrison - My Sweet Lord
A classic tune, shame George had to die for it to be rereleased and get back to another well deserved number one. Hallelujah!

23. Mercury Rev - The Dark Is Rising
Production on this track is amazing. Mercury Rev are not instantly one of my favourite bands, but this track just blew me away.

22. Puddle Of Mudd - She Hates Me
At first, I didn't care for this song, but then it became the song that got me to buy the Puddle Of Mudd album. A rock anthem, from one of this years big new bands.

21. Eminem - Without Me
Eminem's third and final appearance in the top 40. I just found "Without Me" another hilarious joke song by a very talented lyricist.

20. Calling - Wherever You Will Go
Released at the same sort of time as Chad Kroeger's "Hero", this was another powerful rock anthem. The follow up made my top 100, but this track was amazing.

19. Oasis - Stop Crying Your Heart Out
Yes, I watched the England-Brazil game, when all of our hearts were melting away. This was the real World Cup song - a song that reflected the fact we thought we would win, and we ended up losing to a better side. Oasis are truly back on form.

18. Toploader - Time Of My Life
Always a big fan of Toploader. "Time Of My Life" is another amazing track from the band - just shame the second single was so badly chosen.

17. Electric Soft Parade - Silent To The Dark II
Another track I rediscovered on a compilation album, like Mercury Rev and Spiritualized. This is a really good indie tune... a REALLY good indie tune.

16. Bowling 4 Soup - Girl All The Bad Guys Want
"Now I'm watching wrestling, trying to be a tough guy...". This must be the geeks anthem of the year - rather like "Teenage Dirtbag" was last year. I almost consider myself to be a geek. End of story on a hilarious single.

15. Amy Studt - Just A Little Girl
Another of our "girls with guitars", Amy Studt was much more than "Just A Little Girl" with this breathtaking single. Crossing the boundaries of pop and rock, it was two amazing songs in one.

14. Mull Historical Society - Watching Xanadu
With "Animal Cannabus", I got interested in the Mull Historical Society. With "Watching Xanadu" I got completely hooked. You may not have heard it, but if you're liking the general style of this list, then give it a listen. Another of those feel good indie songs.

13. Alice Martineau - If I Fall
Back on with the "girls with guitars" and we have Alice Martineau. An amazing new talent (I've got the brilliant album "Daydreams") with a beautiful song.

12. Michelle Branch - Everywhere
Another girl with her guitar, this time Michelle Branch. "Everywhere" is a really beautiful song, and highlighted Michelle Branch as one of the years big new talents. Shame the track didn't get its deserved top 10 placing, but this is the UK singles buying public we're talking about here!

11. Alice Band - Now That You Love Me
The other one that doesn't quite make the top 10 is the Alice Band's biggest hit of the year. This really struck a chord with me when it was released, and is such an amazing song. The greatest track of one of my favourite albums of the year.

I challenge people from what they know of me, to name my favourite song of 2002. The poll contains my top 10 songs of the year in alphabetical order.
Last edited by matthew_dixon on Wed Dec 18, 2002 11:38 pm, edited 11 times in total.
matthew_dixon
Site Editor

Postby SholasBoy » Mon Dec 09, 2002 12:07 am

Eminem in raw hip-hop mode
Oh purrr-lease! :roll:
SholasBoy
Chief Wig Snatcher

Postby matthew_dixon » Mon Dec 09, 2002 12:20 am

Lol! Well for him, it was "raw hip-hop mode" - he's normally got a lot more of Dr Dre's production techniques on it. "Lose Yourself" was positively minimalistic!
matthew_dixon
Site Editor

Postby Muzikritik » Mon Dec 09, 2002 3:25 am

I went with Eva Cassidy's "Imagine".

Very interesting mix there, Matthew... a great read, although I only liked about 30 of the mentioned songs!
Muzikritik
Legend

Postby Deadman » Mon Dec 09, 2002 3:29 pm

I would say that your favourite track this year was probably Elton John's "This Train Don't Stop Here Anymore" Matthew.
Deadman
Superstar

Postby martinp » Mon Dec 09, 2002 4:54 pm

I'm going with Complicated by Avril. It's in my top 10 too!
martinp
Legend

Postby matthew_dixon » Mon Dec 09, 2002 5:13 pm

Well, let's start counting down the top 10

10 - Stereophonics - Handbags and Gladrags
I was doubtful as to how high to put this song - after all it was actually released in 2001. However, it survived so long into 2002, that it deserved a normally high placing. Originally written and performed by Rod Stewart, he came back with the song himself and showed how bad the original was. This version is of course the theme to "The Office", which helped its success. I can't say I'm a big fan of the Stereophonics, but this track is such a beautiful, powerful, and well produced track, that I eventually decided it should go into my top 10, at 10.

You were all right - those who voted so far... my favourite track of the year is NOT "Handbags and Gladrags". That has been removed from the options.
matthew_dixon
Site Editor

Postby eamezey » Mon Dec 09, 2002 5:33 pm

Brilliant Top 100 Matthew - like quite a lot of them. I am thinking that Elton is your fave too. And can I be really cheeky and nick this brilliant idea of yours when yours is finished?
eamezey
Manager

Postby philruck » Mon Dec 09, 2002 7:01 pm

You have an extremely varied musical taste Matthew, although I am not a fan of all the tracks. Especially Stereophonics, i found that song excruciatingly annoying and cannot bear to listen to it. Needless to say, it won't be in my chart of the year :D
philruck
Superstar

Postby FreakyFlyBry » Mon Dec 09, 2002 8:32 pm

I can't remember if I voted for Avril or Nickelback.
FreakyFlyBry
No Title, No Topic

Postby Terence » Mon Dec 09, 2002 8:36 pm

Wow Matthew! Good start for the top 10!

matthew_dixon wrote:
10 - Stereophonics - Handbags and Gladrags
I was doubtful as to how high to put this song - after all it was actually released in 2001.
Luv it! The best Stereophonics single by far IMO

Anywayz, I agree with you - even though it was released in 2001, it was massive in 2002 as well.

In my chart there are a couple of 2001 tracks - Sophie Ellis Bextor and Liberty X are there for sure!
Terence
Euro-trash Freak

Postby Aliiyssa » Mon Dec 09, 2002 9:22 pm

I think David Gray. (and i'm the first one!)
Riposarsi Negli Pesca Madre - 1960 - 2004
Ti Voglio Bene! Per cortesìa orologio io!
Aliiyssa
Superstar

Postby matthew_dixon » Tue Dec 10, 2002 8:54 pm

You're all too good - you're all still right

9. Beverley Knight - Shoulda Woulda Coulda
Beverley Knight has produced some good songs in her time, but nothing comes close to Shoulda Woulda Coulda. It gave her her first big hit - and deservedly so. In my eyes it's a really feel-good rnb tune, and is without a doubt, my favourite urban track in a year that IMO was not all that amazing for urban music.

In my review I wrote:Beverley Knight has never really made the big time... until now. Without a doubt, this will be her biggest hit to date by far. It's British soul music at its finest and shows just what a talent Beverley Knight is. It doesn't have the over-production of Brandy/Aaliyah nor the over-singing of Mariah Carey; it is just a simple song to an acoustic backing that is sung well. Will this be her first Top 10 hit? It certainly should, I personally wish it would and I think it just could.
matthew_dixon
Site Editor

Postby matthew_dixon » Wed Dec 11, 2002 8:56 pm

Aliiyssa wrote:I think David Gray. (and i'm the first one!)
... and I'm afraid you're wrong

8 David Gray - The Other Side
Well what can be said? This is a truly amazing tune, easily his best to date - and ever since I got the album to review, I thought it was amazing. The only shame is that it is set to flop in the chart. I thought that "This Year's Love" was amazing - but this makes that song pale into insignificance. So there you go, my favourite track of the year is not "The Other Side" by David Gray. Good idea, but wrong.

In my review I wrote:David Gray is back with a new album, and whilst "Dead In The Water" was released to radio to promote it, it's the truly sublime "Other Side" that gets a single release. This is without a doubt the finest track on the album - think "This Year's Love" but better - a beautiful ballad that will touch the hearts of many this Christmas. However, with such strong competition this week, he might struggle to make the Top 10. Nevertheless, even if Gareth Gates wins in the singles chart, I'm sure David won't mind, as he safely beat him in the album chart.
matthew_dixon
Site Editor

Postby Virgostar » Wed Dec 11, 2002 10:39 pm

I'm going to go with either one of the Avril songs...thing is I can't work out which one I'll go with!!
Virgostar
Ex-Admin

Postby Aliiyssa » Thu Dec 12, 2002 10:58 am

:lol: Never mind!

(1 CONFIRMED VOTE SO FAR! :lol: )
Aliiyssa
Superstar

Postby matthew_dixon » Thu Dec 12, 2002 7:54 pm

Well, there's another two wrong people out there

7. Avril Lavigne - Sk8er Boi
This girl surely has to be the biggest new talent to come out of 2002. The album oozes class, and is really diverse (more than can be said for Vanessa or Nickelback who are still to come). Sk8er Boi - a track about a girl who rejects the guy who is after her, because he's a skater punk, only to find he becomes a huge rock star, and is going out with Avril. The song is truly amazing, but not quite as good as "Complicated". Can "Complicated" get to number one?

In my review I wrote:Are you sick of the dominance of Popstars: The Rivals, and wishing failure for all 3 acts who found fame on the show? There is an alternative (and I'm not talking about Blue's lame effort with Elton). If you want to stop this travesty happening, go and buy "Sk8er Boi" by Avril Lavigne. It is just as good as the previous single - whilst also being sufficiently different to prove she isn't a one trick pony. Expect it to be a very big hit - possibly the surprise alternative Xmas number one.
Last edited by matthew_dixon on Fri Dec 13, 2002 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
matthew_dixon
Site Editor

Postby matthew_dixon » Fri Dec 13, 2002 7:49 pm

Here's another song removed

6. Space - Zombies
Here's a band who came back as good as ever (if not better) but were completely ignored this time around. "Zombies" is another classic Space hit, particularly strong on the anthemic tune (even if it isn't quite their ultimate lyrics). I first heard this track live - and got into it instantly. Looking forward for the new album in the new year.

In the Rock/Indie/Metal forum I wrote:Well, where do I begin,

I've always been in to Space, since the days of the "Spiders" album, and the classic hits "Me and You vs the World" and "Neighbourhood" amongst others. I bought the greatest hits this year - whatever happened to it chartwise, I'll never know.

Tonight, I've been to the gig - at a tiny indie club that can barely hold 250 people! I'm not sure even whether it quite sold out! Again what has happened to them? However this did have its benefits that it's a cool place to have a gig in.

They played a load of new stuff, and it was really good - just as good as their old stuff (a bit better musically and maybe slightly poorer lyrically if I had to be critical). Alongside that were 4 of the most classic Space hits ever.

However that wasn't the thing that amazed me. After the gig, they were just chilling out in the room just off the exit, and I got to meet the band. A girl from my course that I went with was a huge fan and managed to get 6 kisses (at least 2 on the lips) and 7 autographs (2 of which were on her shoulder!) off lead singer Tommy. He's a really cool guy, and is totally unfazed by fame (although maybe that's because they have fallen from grace slightly - I don't know).

What does everyone else think about Space - does anyone else have memories of meeting bands after gigs (I know most people on here are pop/rnb fans so this will probably be virtually entirely ignored!)

Long Live Space
matthew_dixon
Site Editor

Postby Terence » Sat Dec 14, 2002 10:31 am

Don't know who Space are!

But hey, nice to see Avril at #7, it's a fantastic song.

Hopefully I'll get her album soon!
Terence
Euro-trash Freak

Postby eamezey » Sun Dec 15, 2002 3:21 pm

Space are excellent! 'Female Of The Species' is one of my faves of all time!
eamezey
Manager

Postby Virgostar » Mon Dec 16, 2002 12:06 am

^ I love "Female Of The Species"! I think that's the only song I know by them (actually, I know about 2 or 3 more, but I can't remember the titles cos it's been ages since I heard the songs)....
Virgostar
Ex-Admin

Postby matthew_dixon » Mon Dec 16, 2002 9:54 pm

Well, I've changed my top list slightly now (couldn't miss out "Family Portrait" or "Sound Of The Underground"). You're all still too good at guessing, no-one put this one at the top of my pile

5. Vanessa Carlton - A Thousand Miles
Well this was nothing short of amazing. Vanessa Carlton was one of this years really talented newcomers, with this amazing debut single. "A Thousand Miles" showed pop/rock piano at its finest, and was a deserved long runner on the chart (as a number of my top 10 were incidentally).

In my review I wrote:Pianist, singer, songwriter, Vanessa Carlton has it all, and THIS is a really good song! It seems so simple and yet so amazing, and when you first hear it, you can't get the wretched piano loop out of your head for days. Within that time, you'll probably be hooked. Comparisons have been made to Michelle Branch - Vanessa's certainly playing a different instrument - but apart from that, she is a slightly less rocky version of Michelle. However, this week, I think Vanessa will pretty safely outchart Michelle, hopefully landing squarely inside the Top 10.
matthew_dixon
Site Editor

Postby Terence » Mon Dec 16, 2002 10:53 pm

Couldn't agrre more with you on Vanessa Carlton!

I haven't read the review as I was busy that time, and it's a good review for a good single.

Great it got top 5 in your chart, watch her attacking my best 100 now!
Terence
Euro-trash Freak

Postby Aliiyssa » Tue Dec 17, 2002 11:04 am

Can I change my mind and say Elton! :lol:
Aliiyssa
Superstar

Postby matthew_dixon » Tue Dec 17, 2002 11:18 pm

Too late I'm afraid Aliiyssa (and anyway, it still might be the wrong vote to change to :P )

Moving on..... (and 3 more people are wrong

4. Eva Cassidy - Imagine
Wow. That says it all, wow. How on earth Eva's talent wasn't noticed until after she died will forever remain a mystery, but the songs keep coming, and this one was truly amazing. It rather shockingly didn't actually make the top 100 chart when it was released, but that was probably because everyone had bought the album over the summer (including myself). A change from the normal commercial music, Eva's amazing vocal talents have put her in here well inside the top 5.

In my review I wrote:John Lennon's "Imagine" was simply perfection. Can you improve on perfection? If your name is Eva Cassidy then yes! This takes the Lennon classic and reworks it in an amazingly fragile, simplistic form, rather like her huge success last year with "Over The Rainbow". It was a song perfectly suited to her, but in general, pretty much anything she sang was amazing. This deserves to be No. 1 by miles, but will probably struggle to make the Top 40.
matthew_dixon
Site Editor

Return to Year End Personal Charts