Katy Perry - Hot N Cold
18%
Katy Perry - I Kissed A Girl
7%
State of Shock - Best I Ever Had
4%

Total votes : 28

Postby FreakyFlyBry » Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:38 pm

It's almost that time again... I've been deciding which songs will rank where for my year-end chart!

Included in the poll are 10 songs likely to end up high in my list... feel free to speculate what my #1 of 2008 will be!

The list will be ready sometime within the next 10-14 days, so stay tuned!
FreakyFlyBry
No Title, No Topic

Postby jszmiles » Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:39 pm

3 Doors I suppose :)
jszmiles
Legend

Postby chris975 » Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:49 pm

Voted for Celine Dion :)
chris975
Legend

Postby matthew_dixon » Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:07 am

I voted for the blindingly obvious ;-)
matthew_dixon
Site Editor

Postby Virgostar » Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:48 am

matthew_dixon wrote:I voted for the blindingly obvious ;-)
As have I. :wink:
Let's embrace the point of no return.
Virgostar
Ex-Admin

Postby Fan » Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:00 am

Kate Voegele - Only Fooling Myself
i wanna see you on your knees, wanna see you begging
Fan
Legend

Postby Marius » Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:37 am

Virgostar wrote:
matthew_dixon wrote:I voted for the blindingly obvious ;-)
As have I. :wink:
Ahem
Marius
Legend

Postby Tiger » Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:58 am

I accidentally voted for State of Shock. Should've voted for Kate
These foolish games are tearing me apart

My CHART
Tiger
Lover Of (Mostly) Everything Pop

Postby king_oxymoron » Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:55 pm

Oh no I didn't read first! Does he love Kate? I voted another Kate (Perry - Hot N Cold)...

Surprised at the lack of well known songs in the poll!
king_oxymoron
Lickin' On Both Sides

Postby tdc2000 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:14 am

This one is as obvious as they come! I suspect Kate will be in your new Top 10 of all time!

Is my #1 just as obvious? :wink:
"And keep reaching for the stars...." Casey Kasem RIP 1932-2014
tdc2000
Music Encyclopedia

Postby pepster » Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:54 am

I voted for "It's Not My Time" :)
pepster
Legend

Postby Dalmatin » Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:08 pm

hehe, you're only fooling yourself if you think she won't be #1 :wink:
Dalmatin
A Wolf At The Door

Postby Plym » Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:12 pm

It's Kate takeover! :lol:
Plym
Take Care

Postby Benjamin » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:41 pm

I think Kate Voegele will be your #1.
She should be! :P
Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby FreakyFlyBry » Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:51 pm

200. Hinder - Use Me
The top 200 kicks off with the return of Hinder, who had one of my top 10 songs of 2006 with "Lips Of An Angel". While this was a huge rock hit, it wasn't one of my absolute favourites... however, the follow-up, "Without You", is, and it'll be much higher... but how high?

199. Duffy - Mercy
A lot of people will have this in their top 10 of the year... however, on my chart, she fell rather short, and one of the year's most creative newcomers only gets #199 for the year! Still, she has a lot of potential to stick around, including Grammy nominations... so hopefully she'll remain successful on her next album!

198. Fall Out Boy f/John Mayer - Beat It
It's been a disappointing year for Fall Out Boy on my chart, as the lead-off single from their latest album, "I Don't Care", burned out quickly and missed out on the top 200 of the year! However, THIS Michael Jackson cover managed to make it!

197. Enya - Trains and Winter Rains
Enya's latest album has a winter theme, and of course it does include Christmas songs on it... this song, the lead-off single, is pretty much as expected from her, and just manages to make the top 200.

196. Jordin Sparks f/Chris Brown - No Air
Another one that many people will have in their top 10's... this one, one of the year's biggest hits and biggest duets, also fell short for me, but both artists have songs coming up later on.

195. Buckcherry - Don't Go Away
Their biggest hit to date, "Sorry", just missed out here as it was split between 2007 and 2008, but this one from the follow-up album "Black Butterfly", just managed to make the top 200.

194. Menudo - Lost
Who would've seen it coming? A new incarnation of the classic Latin boyband was formed in 2008, and released this song, one of the year's surprise hits.

193. Ryan Star - Right Now
Originally from the TV series "Rock Star: Supernova", Ryan Star is the first contestant from that series to make my chart with a song that continues to rise on my chart, and as such, could very well appear again in 2009.

192. Geraldine McQueen - The Winner's Song
This spoof of reality show winning songs, by the brainchild of British comedian Peter Kay (who plays the role of Geraldine on "Britain's Got The Pop Factor...") ironically became a bigger hit than most of the actual winning songs on my chart!

191. Mariah Carey - Touch My Body
Quite possibly the biggest disappointment of the year for me has been Mariah's "E=MC²" album era, as it failed to have a standout moment like "The Emancipation of Mimi" did. This charted for me on early hype, and fell off my chart very fast, but still managed to make my year-end top 200.

190. Delta Goodrem - In This Life
Here's a holdover from 2007, a song that spent 3 weeks at #1 then, and my favourite from the Aussie soapstar/singer. Its run spilled over into 2008, as it became a minor US hot adult contemporary hit.

189. Switchfoot - This Is Home
From the latest "Chronicles of Narnia" film, Switchfoot returned in 2008, yet did not match the success of "The Beautiful Letdown" album. Still, it managed to be their biggest hit in over 2 years on my chart.

188. Plain White T's - Natural Disaster
While they failed to have a hit of "Hey There Delilah" proportions, the Plain White T's still managed to rank with 2 songs on my top 200.

187. Robin Thicke - Magic
This became the blue-eyed soul singer's biggest hit to date on my chart; he'd been hitting sporadically for about 6 years before this, but this was the one that really resonated for me.

186. Hedley - Old School
If there's any band that has been overplayed on Canadian radio this year, it's Hedley. While they did have a top 5 hit on my chart in 2006 with "Trip", nothing on their latest album, "Famous Last Words", stood out to that extent for me, but this song about reminiscing about the past made the top 200 at least.

185. Madonna - Give It 2 Me
A lot of artists managed to disappoint in 2008 for me, and one of the biggest ones was Madonna. After 4 straight top 10's from "Confessions On A Dancefloor", nothing from the "Hard Candy" album did anything near that, but she still managed 2 songs in my top 200, this one included.

184. Jimmy Eat World - Always Be
One of the most successful modern rock bands this decade has been Jimmy Eat World. Their biggest hit to date, "The Middle", reached #1 on my chart in 2002; since then, they've had several moderate hits, this being one of them.

183. Britt Nicole - Believe
2008 was a breakthrough year for contemporary Christian singer Britt Nicole; this was not her debut single, but it was the first off her album "Say It" that managed to reach my chart.

182. Augustana - Sweet and Low
Last year, they had the hit "Boston". Since then, they haven't been able to have the same success, but this song was a minor hit.

181. Kreesha Turner - Lady Killer
One of my favourite Canadian newcomers of the year has been Edmonton-based singer Kreesha Turner; this was one of my favourites from her, a funky tune that has a British feel to it. How high up will her biggest hit, "Don't Call Me Baby", be?

180. Britney Spears - Radar
Despite cancelling the fourth single from her album "Blackout", it still managed to hit the top 30 on my chart, much like everything she's made my chart with! She still has three songs to come, including 2 #1's... how high will they be?

179. Declan Galbraith - You and Me
His voice may have changed in the past few years, but Declan Galbraith, who turns 17 later this week, has kept up the same quality in his music. His latest album includes a few original songs as well, this being one of them... and as it's still rising up my chart, it should be able to make my 2009 chart too.

178. Plain White T's - 1, 2, 3, 4
And here's the other Plain White T's song to make it! It's probably their best attempt at following up "Hey There Delilah", even if it failed to match up to the big hit's success.

177. Cyndi Lauper - Into The Nightlife
Another surprise comeback this year was Cyndi Lauper! The singer, best known for her 80's hits, made a dance/pop comeback in 2008, and this shines as one of her finest moments since her heyday, as girls STILL just wanna have fun!

176. Sara Bareilles - Bottle It Up
Unfortunately, her breakthrough single "Love Song" was split between 2007 and 2008 for me, and therefore, didn't make either list. This song, the follow-up, however, DID manage to make it. She's currently rising up my chart with a collaboration with OneRepublic, which may make my best of 2009.
FreakyFlyBry
No Title, No Topic

Postby Benjamin » Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:07 pm

199. Duffy - Mercy
The Game remix of this song takes it to the next level.

198. Fall Out Boy f/John Mayer - Beat It
Wow! I can't believe this outpeaked 'I Don't Care' :P

I love Jordin. This song is great.

191. Mariah Carey - Touch My Body
Too low! :P

Delta's best single!

Love this one!

This song's way too low! IMO it's one of Madonna's most addictive singles.

183. Britt Nicole - Believe
I really wished this would've been big in the US. It's great.

I love 'Boston'! This song's almost as good.

Much better than 'Piece Of Me'!

Good song! Better than 'Love Story' IMO.
Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby Dalmatin » Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:12 pm

188. Plain White T's - Natural Disaster

I quite like these three :wink:
Dalmatin
A Wolf At The Door

Postby SeeForever » Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:30 pm

Haven't a clue what your favourite is so voted my favourite on the list Hot N Cold :wink:

199. Duffy - Mercy - this is nice, Stepping Stone my favourite of hers

192. Geraldine McQueen - The Winner's Song - good in a cheesy way!!!!!

185. Madonna - Give It 2 Me - love this but the album is nowhere near as good as 'Confessions...' she can do so much better

177. Cyndi Lauper - Into The Nightlife - fabulous comeback song shame it wasn't a hit in UK
RIP The Queen Of Disco
SeeForever
Legend

Postby king_oxymoron » Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:34 pm

Bryan - firstly why is this called your top 100 of 2008 when you have 200 songs?!

Secondly, I can't take you seriously any longer. 'I Don't Care' DIDN'T make the top 200 but Geral-f***ing-dine McQueen did?! I watched that show last night and it was really truly dire.

I can't believe it's above Mercy - and I don't even like Mercy! Fall Out Boy, Delta and Jordin should be higher, 'Touch My Body' should be banned!
king_oxymoron
Lickin' On Both Sides

Postby Tiger » Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:11 am

199. Duffy - Mercy
197. Enya - Trains and Winter Rains
192. Geraldine McQueen - The Winner's Song
189. Switchfoot - This Is Home
179. Declan Galbraith - You and Me
178. Plain White T's - 1, 2, 3, 4

A great start and glad you finally started, yours is one of the charts I wanted to see most. Best for me are Switchfoot, Duffy, Delta Goodrem and Geraldine

My CHART
Tiger

Postby FreakyFlyBry » Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:19 pm

king_oxymoron wrote:Bryan - firstly why is this called your top 100 of 2008 when you have 200 songs?!
The top 100 is the only "official" part, and it's the part I put more effort into as a result. I'm just sharing the 200-101 songs because I had them compiled too. :P
FreakyFlyBry
No Title, No Topic

Postby FreakyFlyBry » Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:16 pm

175. The Killers - Human
Another crashout here, and one that many people will have much higher in their own charts. However, for me, it didn't quite live up to expectations, but I'm hoping that further singles from "Day & Age" will do better.

174. Gavin Rossdale - Love Remains The Same
Another one of 2008's surprise comebacks was Gavin Rossdale, formerly lead singer of Bush, and currently husband to Gwen Stefani. This ballad became his biggest hit in years, and manages to rank #174 for the year on my chart.

173. Puddle of Mudd - We Don't Have To Look Back Now
Another rock band who released a ballad in 2008 was Puddle of Mudd, as "We Don't Have To Look Back Now" was a minor hot adult contemporary hit, and ranks here at #173.

172. Katy Perry - Thinking Of You
One of my favourite newcomers of 2008 has been Katy Perry as her first 2 singles both have hit #1 on my chart, and are both still to come. This one, a slower effort, is currently rising my chart, and will likely do better in 2009.

171. The Last Goodnight - Stay Beautiful
In 2007, they broke through with "Pictures of You", and in 2008, released their follow-up. I actually preferred this song, which ranks at #171 for the year.

170. Miley Cyrus - See You Again
One of the biggest media phenomena lately has been Hannah Montana, and its star, Miley Cyrus, achieved mainstream success with this song, her only appearance in my top 100.

169. John Mellencamp - My Sweet Love
Another veteran singer returned in 2008, as John Mellencamp delivered his best song in years here, and while still not quite up to his classic standards, was a respectable effort.

168. Lauren Christoff - Won't Stop
One of Canada's best newcomers of 2008 was Lauren Christoff with this upbeat pop/dance/R&B song. Hopefully we'll hear more from her in 2009!

167. Keane - The Lovers Are Losing
Another disappointment here; given how much I've enjoyed some of Keane's past stuff, this, which is my favourite single to date from "Perfect Symmetry", could only score #167 on the year-end!

166. New Kids On The Block feat. Ne-Yo - Single
Who really expected the New Kids On The Block to make a comeback in 2008? This one features Ne-Yo, and it shows in the song's sound, as it has more of a laid-back urban feel to it. How high will their comeback single, "Summertime", rank?

165. Collective Soul - All That I Know
Following up the surprise top 10 success of "Hollywood" last year, Collective Soul carried on the momentum into 2008 with this follow-up.

164. Nickelback - Gotta Be Somebody
Another disappointment here... this song did manage to reach the top 20 on my weekly chart, but was on and off very quickly due to burnout, which has become very typical for them in recent years. Hopefully they'll have better on their "Dark Horse" album to rank in 2009!

163. Carrie Underwood - All-American Girl
One of the most successful American Idol winners to date, Carrie Underwood has already become a country superstar, and songs like this have maintained her success. This is her first of 2 ranking songs here; "Last Name" is still to come.

162. Celine Dion - Taking Chances
A 2007 holdover, this song continued its success into 2008, and started a streak of hits. She still has 4 more songs to come, including her #1 remake of "Alone".

161. Linkin Park - Leave Out All The Rest
The hits from their latest album, "Minutes To Midnight", continued into 2008, and this song was the fifth, and most recent, single to be taken from it. Unfortunately, it didn't quite perform as well as expected... how high is their biggest hit of the year, "Shadow Of The Day"?

160. Paramore - Decode
"Twilight" has clearly been one of the year's biggest films, and this song, performed by one of the biggest female-led rock bands of recent years, is also a good effort; this ranks as their highest appearance this year.

159. Finger Eleven - I'll Keep Your Memory Vague
Another 2007 holdover, this carried its success into 2008, and ranks as my favourite from their latest album. Here's hoping there'll be a new album from them in 2009!

158. Jonas Brothers - Lovebug
After the upbeat "Burnin' Up", the Jonas Brothers followed it up with a more laid back sound. Still, 2 more songs from them to come, also including the #1 hit "When You Look Me In The Eyes".

157. Kylie Minogue - All I See
Kylie Minogue attempted to crack the US market once again with this R&B-infused track; while it ultimately failed, it ranked here at #157. However, she did have one other song I preferred in 2008!

156. Danity Kane feat. Missy Elliott - Bad Girl
Danity Kane, despite losing 2 members after this, is one group that really surprised me this year, as they managed to place 2 songs on my chart! How high will their big hit "Damaged" rank?

155. Theory Of A Deadman feat. Chris Daughtry - By The Way
Another band that returned in 2008 was Theory Of A Deadman. Despite charting with many tracks from their album, both on the radio and on my chart, this one, which features Chris Daughtry, is their second highest on here! How high will their #1 hit "All Or Nothing" rank?

154. Taylor Swift - Love Story
Undoubtedly one of country music's hottest new superstars, Taylor Swift released her sophomore album in 2008, and this, the lead single from it, was her highest ranking on my year-end chart.

153. Deborah Cox - Beautiful U R
Deborah Cox ended a long hiatus from the charts, working with legendary producers Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis here. This gave her one of her biggest hits in Canada to date, and a moderate hit on my chart as well.

152. illScarlett - Who's Got It
Canada's alternative scene blossomed in 2008, with bands such as illScarlett hitting the mainstream with songs like this. They still have one more song to come.

151. Goo Goo Dolls - Real
The 2008 Summer Olympics were held in Beijing this year, and AT&T released the official soundtrack for Team USA. The compilation album included the return of the Goo Goo Dolls, who crash out at #151 for the year. Hopefully they'll follow with a new album in 2009!
FreakyFlyBry
No Title, No Topic

Postby Tiger » Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:05 pm

175. The Killers - Human
174. Gavin Rossdale - Love Remains The Same
170. Miley Cyrus - See You Again
167. Keane - The Lovers Are Losing
164. Nickelback - Gotta Be Somebody
163. Carrie Underwood - All-American Girl
161. Linkin Park - Leave Out All The Rest
160. Paramore - Decode
157. Kylie Minogue - All I See
154. Taylor Swift - Love Story
153. Deborah Cox - Beautiful U R
151. Goo Goo Dolls - Real

I really like how varied your chart is. Best ones are Kylie Minogue, Linkin Park and Miley Cyrus for me

My CHART
Tiger

Postby UKMusicLova » Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:36 pm

Fantastic chart so far Bry and you're not even in your top 100! :o

I be liking...
199. Duffy - Mercy
177. Cyndi Lauper - Into The Nightlife
175. The Killers - Human
157. Kylie Minogue - All I Se
156. Danity Kane feat. Missy Elliott - Bad Girl
UKMusicLova
Legend

Postby Dalmatin » Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:38 pm

175. The Killers - Human (too low)
167. Keane - The Lovers Are Losing (about right.. but lower than filthy NKOTB single? :-? )
158. Jonas Brothers - Lovebug (their best for me)

that's about it :P
Dalmatin
A Wolf At The Door

Return to Year End Personal Charts