Akini's Daily Top 20: #1 We ain't hidden no more, moonlit...

Moderators: JSparksFan, tdc2000, FreakyFlyBry

Postby JSparksFan » Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:58 am

Friday's Top 20 (October 5th)

01.(01) Mariah Carey - With You
02.(10) Ariana Grande - Breathin (Greatest Gainer)
03.(RE) Rita Ora - Anywhere (Best Comeback)
04.(RE) Ariana Grande - God Is a Woman
05.(RE) Lady Gaga - Shallow
06.(RE) Ariana Grande - No Tears Left to Cry
07.(RE) Sia - The Greatest (feat. Kendrick Lamar)
08.(NE) Lady Gaga - I'll Never Love Again (Highest Debut)
09.(NE) Lady Gaga - Is That Alright?
10.(RE) Mariah Carey - The Roof
11.(RE) Nicki Minaj - Bed (feat. Ariana Grande)
12.(RE) Mariah Carey - GTFO
13.(RE) Ariana Grande - Let Me Love You (feat. Lil Wayne)
14.(RE) Cardi B - Bodak Yellow
15.(RE) Madonna - Masterpiece
16.(RE) Tank - When We
17.(NE) Ariana Grande - Focus
18.(RE) Janelle Monáe - Americans
19.(RE) Radiant Children - Go Left
20.(RE) Janet Jackson - That's the Way Love Goes
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:39 am

I hope so too!

Nice to see Ariana being back! You better save your 10 favourite songs in the Ariana Grande Survivor for Round 3 ;)

Nice to see "Anywhere" back on your chart! It's amazing ;)

"Masterpiece" by Madonna is amazing as well. I am still a bit sad it didn't get a proper music video.
Mainshow
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:42 am

Mainshow wrote:I hope so too!

Nice to see Ariana being back! You better save your 10 favourite songs in the Ariana Grande Survivor for Round 3 ;)

Nice to see "Anywhere" back on your chart! It's amazing ;)

"Masterpiece" by Madonna is amazing as well. I am still a bit sad it didn't get a proper music video.
Ah, thanks for reminding me about the Ari survivor. Just saved my faves. It was tough narrowing it down to 10.

Yes, "Anywhere" is one of my favourite songs from last year, and probably Rita's best single of her career so far.

"Masterpiece" is such a classy ballad. I don't think Madonna gets the credit she deserves as a balladeer.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:48 am

Saturday's Top 20 (October 6th)

02.(05) Lady Gaga - Shallow (Greatest Gainer)
03.(RE) George Michael - Careless Whisper (Best Comeback)
04.(NE) Lady Gaga - Why Did You Do That? (Highest Debut)
05.(NE) Ava Max - Sweet but Psycho
06.(NE) Eminem - Killshot
07.(RE) Lady Gaga - Dance in the Dark
08.(RE) Lana Del Rey - Venice Bitch
09.(RE) Nicki Minaj - Good Form
10.(NE) Lady Gaga - Diggin' My Grave
11.(RE) Janet Jackson - Escapade
12.(RE) 5 Seconds of Summer - Youngblood
13.(NE) Lady Gaga - Hair Body Face
14.(NE) Lady Gaga - Heal Me
15.(RE) Delta Goodrem - Lost Without You
16.(RE) Kylie Minogue - Butterfly
17.(RE) Lorde - Writer in the Dark
18.(NE) Lady Gaga - Before I Cry
19.(RE) Delta Goodrem - Not Me, Not I
20.(11) Nicki Minaj - Bed (feat. Ariana Grande) (Biggest Free Faller)
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JakeP » Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:32 pm

Hello Akini :D

Wow it seems With you has resonated with you quite impressively. I like the song too but by comparison GTFO had a stronger impact upon hearing that song for the first time. With you is kinda minimal which is no bad thing, but it doesn't leave me wanting to listen to it again in a hurry. :(

02.(05) Lady Gaga - Shallow (Greatest Gainer)

*applause* (pun intended :lol: :oops: ) I think its commendable how Lady Gaga just switched things up. When The cure was released 18 months ago i thought it was stunning whilst being a pop bop but i also thought it was going to be a standalone single. However, with A star is born i've been getting the impression that song emerged from the same writing sessions as the songs on the new soundtrack. I've yet to see the film but i'm curious and interested. This could be a very clever move from Lady Gaga with her mature sound appealing to wider audience in a way Joanne didn't really manage.

I still need to check out the other tracks on the album which i've spotted on YouTube so will hopefully listen to them over the next few days.

05.(NE) Ava Max - Sweet but Psycho

My hit seeker and definitely one to watch. It's now hit #1 in Sweden which made me all the more curious and its a great pop track. It's actually oddly refreshing to hear an unashamed pure pop song like this and i would love to see Sweet but psycho becoming a hit in other countries. <3

Best of the rest:

JakeP
Superstar

Postby JSparksFan » Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:02 am

JakeP wrote:Hello Akini :D
Hey, Jake! :D

JakeP wrote:Wow it seems With you has resonated with you quite impressively. I like the song too but by comparison GTFO had a stronger impact upon hearing that song for the first time. With you is kinda minimal which is no bad thing, but it doesn't leave me wanting to listen to it again in a hurry. :(
The first time I heard "With You", it was the lyrics that hit me. After playing it on repeat for three hours like a madman, I pretty much fell in love with every aspect of the song. "GTFO" just isn't on par, in my opinion.

JakeP wrote:*applause* (pun intended :lol: :oops: ) I think its commendable how Lady Gaga just switched things up. When The cure was released 18 months ago i thought it was stunning whilst being a pop bop but i also thought it was going to be a standalone single. However, with A star is born i've been getting the impression that song emerged from the same writing sessions as the songs on the new soundtrack. I've yet to see the film but i'm curious and interested. This could be a very clever move from Lady Gaga with her mature sound appealing to wider audience in a way Joanne didn't really manage.

I still need to check out the other tracks on the album which i've spotted on YouTube so will hopefully listen to them over the next few days.
I checked out all the Gaga-only/Gaga-leading songs on the soundtrack, and there isn't any song I like as much as "Shallow" yet, but there are more good ones than I expected.

I haven't seen the film either, but I'm stoked to watch it. The reviews have been stellar.

JakeP wrote:My hit seeker and definitely one to watch. It's now hit #1 in Sweden which made me all the more curious and its a great pop track. It's actually oddly refreshing to hear an unashamed pure pop song like this and i would love to see Sweet but psycho becoming a hit in other countries. <3
Ah, glad you like this one, too, and great to hear of its Swedish success!

JakeP wrote:Best of the rest:

Great picks. 8-)
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:09 am

Sunday's Top 20 (October 7th)

02.(RE) Dua Lipa - Be the One (Best Comeback)
03.(04) Lady Gaga - Why Did You Do That? (Greatest Gainer)
04.(RE) Ariana Grande - God Is a Woman
05.(RE) Adele - Rolling in the Deep
06.(RE) Beyoncé - Halo
07.(RE) Leona Lewis - Happy
08.(RE) Mariah Carey - Betcha Gon' Know (The Prologue)
09.(RE) Lady Gaga - Always Remember Us This Way
10.(RE) Ariana Grande - Breathin
11.(RE) Lorde - Green Light
12.(RE) Taylor Swift - Look What You Made Me Do
13.(RE) KT Tunstall - Black Horse and the Cherry Tree
14.(13) Lady Gaga - Hair Body Face
15.(05) Ava Max - Sweet but Psycho
16.(RE) Selena Gomez - Kill Em with Kindness
17.(RE) Taylor Swift - Delicate
18.(10) Lady Gaga - Diggin' My Grace
19.(RE) Taylor Swift - Style
20.(02) Lady Gaga - Shallow (Biggest Free Faller)
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby cheapthrills » Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:53 am

Nooo, Shallow - just as it did well on my chart it crashes on yours :(

At least there's all sorts of ASIB soundtrack songs in this chart <3

I can't argue Be The One or GIAW ! or really most of this chart now that I look closer at it.

Who needs male artists? haha
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby JSparksFan » Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:54 am

cheapthrills wrote:Nooo, Shallow - just as it did well on my chart it crashes on yours :(

At least there's all sorts of ASIB soundtrack songs in this chart <3

I can't argue Be The One or GIAW ! or really most of this chart now that I look closer at it.

Who needs male artists? haha
"Shallow" will rebound today.

Sometimes I have to remind myself to listen to them. I am so naturally drawn to female vocals that male artists can be shut out entirely on my daily charts.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:59 am

Monday's Top 20 (October 8th)

02.(03) Lady Gaga - Why Did You Do That?
03.(RE) Sevyn Streeter - Before I Do (Best Comeback)
04.(RE) Madonna - Deeper and Deeper
05.(RE) Mariah Carey - Triumphant (Get 'Em)
06.(RE) Lady Gaga - Bad Romance
07.(10) Ariana Grande - Breathin
08.(RE) Britney Spears - Man on the Moon
09.(RE) Janelle Monáe - Cold War
10.(RE) Mariah Carey - Sweetheart
11.(20) Lady Gaga - Shallow (Greatest Gainer)
12.(RE) Lana Del Rey - Mariners Apartment Complex
13.(RE) Britney Spears - Just Luv Me
14.(RE) LeAnn Rimes - Can't Fight the Moonlight
15.(RE) Stevie Nicks - Edge of Seventeen
16.(RE) Lady Gaga - Money Honey
17.(RE) Steps - Deeper Shade of Blue
18.(RE) Madonna - Give Me All Your Luvin' (feat. Nicki Minaj & M.I.A.)
19.(RE) Lady Gaga - Summerboy
20.(RE) Taylor Swift - Out of the Woods
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Tansike » Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:48 pm

JSparksFan wrote:01.(01) Mariah Carey - With You
Nice number one, though i actually prefer "GTFO" to "With You". Will be interesting to hear the whole album now.

Love all those appearances for Gaga this week! Some new gems and some old ones <3
"Summerboy" still is quite underrated, but i actually love it! "Money Honey" is an 'old' gem as well. She really delivered such a carefree, strong pop album with "The Fame" 8-)

Also nice to see Lana's single back. Do you prefer that one to "Venice Bitch"?

Also, i'm glad "The Reckoning" by Within Temptation made your Top20 for one day a few days ago <3
Tansike
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:30 pm

JSparksFan wrote:Yeah, that was a bizarre case of hot 'n cold from one era to another.
Ever so clever! ;)

JSparksFan wrote:01.(01) Mariah Carey - With You
03.(RE) Sevyn Streeter - Before I Do (Best Comeback)
04.(RE) Madonna - Deeper and Deeper
05.(RE) Mariah Carey - Triumphant (Get 'Em)
15.(RE) Stevie Nicks - Edge of Seventeen
• The contrast between "GTFO" and "With You" here :lol: :cry: :lol: One day at a No. 3 peak VS five straight days at No. 1. I'm sad (and also amused) that we're SO out-of-sync with regard to 2017-2018 Mariah, but it's always nice to see her serve up something that truly touches someone. "With You" made a pretty poor first impression on me (I REALLY wasn't feeling the "with you, you, you" "hook"), but the lyrics (as you highlighted above) do have a way of sticking with you. It's funny, cause I'd still hesitate to call the song "catchy," but I've definitely found parts of it randomly playing in my head from time-to-time: "I've been lovin' you so long, ever since that Bone Thugs song..."
• Aw, "Why Did You Do That?" totally had me on-board until that chorus :-? All those "do that, do that, do that"s are kind of grating on first listen, but I'll still add it in case it has some grower potential. EDIT: It's already starting to win me over. A lot of these lines are right up my alley: "boy, could you plz stop bein' so fine, when I stare at you, I wish I were blind..."
• There's a LOT to love about this chart, though! Gay subtext Madonna, early Gaga, the first Janelle (solo) song that I ever checked out (thanks to your chart), one of Britney's all-time-greatest hidden gems, and much more. <3

Yet another chart that's fine with me, Akini! :D
phoenix98
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:22 am

Tansike wrote:Nice number one, though i actually prefer "GTFO" to "With You". Will be interesting to hear the whole album now.
Ah, they're like night and day for me, but always nice to read Mimi appreciation outside her GAD thread.

Tansike wrote:Love all those appearances for Gaga this week! Some new gems and some old ones <3
"Summerboy" still is quite underrated, but i actually love it! "Money Honey" is an 'old' gem as well. She really delivered such a carefree, strong pop album with "The Fame" 8-)
The soundtrack album is better than I expected.

Tansike wrote:Also nice to see Lana's single back. Do you prefer that one to "Venice Bitch"?
Good question. "Mariners Apartment Complex" was even more instant than "Venice Bitch", but the latter takes me to an ethereal place that the former doesn't. I'd still say "Mariners..." for now, but "Venice..." might surpass it soon.

Tansike wrote:Also, i'm glad "The Reckoning" by Within Temptation made your Top20 for one day a few days ago <3
Ah, happy you noticed that! :D

phoenix98 wrote:• The contrast between "GTFO" and "With You" here :lol: :cry: :lol: One day at a No. 3 peak VS five straight days at No. 1. I'm sad (and also amused) that we're SO out-of-sync with regard to 2017-2018 Mariah, but it's always nice to see her serve up something that truly touches someone. "With You" made a pretty poor first impression on me (I REALLY wasn't feeling the "with you, you, you" "hook"), but the lyrics (as you highlighted above) do have a way of sticking with you. It's funny, cause I'd still hesitate to call the song "catchy," but I've definitely found parts of it randomly playing in my head from time-to-time: "I've been lovin' you so long, ever since that Bone Thugs song..."
I'd actually agree with you that the With you hook certainly isn't the track's highlight; the verses are. The songwriter supreme jumped out in those parts. The song's melody actually reminds me a lot of "H.A.T.E.U." how airy it is, but the lyricism is far superior on "With You". It seemed to me, when I visited MC's GAD thread, that more fans preferred "With You" than "GTFO", but there isn't as much of an intersection between the two groups as I would have liked.

The "Breakdown" reference you highlighted is probably my favourite line, alongside Shots of Remy. I love every line, though.

phoenix98 wrote:• Aw, "Why Did You Do That?" totally had me on-board until that chorus :-? All those "do that, do that, do that"s are kind of grating on first listen, but I'll still add it in case it has some grower potential. EDIT: It's already starting to win me over. A lot of these lines are right up my alley: "boy, could you plz stop bein' so fine, when I stare at you, I wish I were blind..."
Yeah, I think I like it in no small part because of the rear end lyric. I feel like that part of the male anatomy is usually swerved in music, and I appreciated Gaga for highlighting such an unheralded feature. :lol:

The chorus is definitely noisy, which is hilarious because I remember faulting some songs on your chart for that offence, but the verses make up for the 'shouty' refrain.

phoenix98 wrote:• There's a LOT to love about this chart, though! Gay subtext Madonna, early Gaga, the first Janelle (solo) song that I ever checked out (thanks to your chart), one of Britney's all-time-greatest hidden gems, and much more. <3
I always aim to deliver diverse excellence!

phoenix98 wrote:Yet another chart that's fine with me, Akini! :D
Glad you appreciate the chart ("GTFO"-less and all). :D
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:29 am

Tuesday's Top 20 (October 9th)

01.(RE) Taylor Swift - Delicate (Best Comeback)
02.(01) Mariah Carey - With You
03.(RE) Taylor Swift - Dress
04.(RE) Camila Cabello - Havana
05.(RE) Taylor Swift - I Did Something Bad
06.(NE) Hudson Taylor - Battles (Highest Debut)
07.(RE) Ariana Grande - God Is a Woman
08.(02) Lady Gaga - Why Did You Do That?
09.(RE) Taylor Swift - Call It What You Want
10.(RE) Taylor Swift - Look What You Made Me Do
11.(11) Lady Gaga - Shallow
12.(RE) Taylor Swift - Out of the Woods
13.(NE) Ari Lennox - Backseat (feat. Cozz)
14.(RE) Ariana Grande - Let Me Love You (feat. Lil Wayne)
15.(RE) Demi Lovato - Cool for the Summer
16.(07) Ariana Grande - Breathin (Biggest Free Faller)
17.(RE) Taylor Swift - This Is Why We Can't Have Nice Things
18.(RE) Mariah Carey - Betcha Gon' Know (The Prologue)
19.(RE) G-Eazy - No Limit (feat. A$AP Rocky, Cardi B, French Montana, Juicy J, & Belly)
20.(NE) Ari Lennox - Whipped Cream
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby luckyONE » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:34 am

YAY at the amount of re-entrys for Taylot Swift! :) Especially pleased to see "Dress" re-entering your Top 20 so high. It's one of my top favorites off "Reputation". Also loving "This Is Why We Can't Have Nice Things" and "Look What You Made Me Do". 8-)
luckyONE
Superstar

Postby cheapthrills » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:22 pm

I checked out Battles and enjoyed it. I have never heard of him. And it got a man into your top 10 :D
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby phoenix98 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:45 pm

JSparksFan wrote:I'd actually agree with you that the With you hook certainly isn't the track's highlight; the verses are. The songwriter supreme jumped out in those parts. The song's melody actually reminds me a lot of "H.A.T.E.U." how airy it is, but the lyricism is far superior on "With You". It seemed to me, when I visited MC's GAD thread, that more fans preferred "With You" than "GTFO", but there isn't as much of an intersection between the two groups as I would have liked.

The "Breakdown" reference you highlighted is probably my favourite line, alongside Shots of Remy. I love every line, though.
Ooh, the "H.A.T.E.U." comparison hadn't crossed my mind, but I can definitely see/hear that! Damn, mankind is TRULY divided in 2018. :cry:

I always appreciate a "Breakdown" shout-out too <3 but, like you said, it was still a struggle deciding which well-crafted line to quote!

JSparksFan wrote:Yeah, I think I like it in no small part because of the rear end lyric. I feel like that part of the male anatomy is usually swerved in music, and I appreciated Gaga for highlighting such an unheralded feature.

The chorus is definitely noisy, which is hilarious because I remember faulting some songs on your chart for that offence, but the verses make up for the 'shouty' refrain.
Ah, right! If memory serves, you also appreciated Janet drawing attention to boi booty in “Come On Get Up.”

HA! I hadn't thought about that at all while I was cringing at the "Why Did You Do That?" chorus yesterday, but it's a really fitting callback! Maybe that's why it grew on me so quickly: there can be a surprisingly fine line between noisy and catchy sometimes...

JSparksFan wrote:Glad you appreciate the chart ("GTFO"-less and all). :D
I think I've finally reached a place of acceptance regarding your thoughts on that matter, and it definitely helps that you keep serving up some amazing distractions here, such as:

JSparksFan wrote:01.(RE) Taylor Swift - Delicate (Best Comeback)
03.(RE) Taylor Swift - Dress
04.(RE) Camila Cabello - Havana
05.(RE) Taylor Swift - I Did Something Bad
07.(RE) Ariana Grande - God Is a Woman
08.(02) Lady Gaga - Why Did You Do That?
09.(RE) Taylor Swift - Call It What You Want
10.(RE) Taylor Swift - Look What You Made Me Do
11.(11) Lady Gaga - Shallow
12.(RE) Taylor Swift - Out of the Woods
14.(RE) Ariana Grande - Let Me Love You (feat. Lil Wayne)
15.(RE) Demi Lovato - Cool for the Summer
16.(07) Ariana Grande - Breathin (Biggest Free Faller)
17.(RE) Taylor Swift - This Is Why We Can't Have Nice Things
18.(RE) Mariah Carey - Betcha Gon' Know (The Prologue)
• "Delicate" re-entering at No. 1?!?! :o :cry: :D I know it's always technically possible for a song to enjoy a resurgence here, but I thought that ship had sailed after it failed to accomplish that feat during its time as an official single. AMAs effect? (Though I think she only performed IDSB? Not gonna lie, I'm not SUPER keen on that song, so I haven't actually checked out the performance yet). "Dress" being another of the biggest beneficiaries is a heartwarming surprise too!

Yet another refined chart, Akini! :D
phoenix98
Legend

Postby RayRay » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:44 pm

Great to see Betcha Gon' Know return. One of my all time favorite songs ever. :D
RayRay
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:52 pm

You are so right, Akini! Madonna needs to get more credit for her beautifully written and well-thought ballads. Actually, I enjoy them a lot!

(btw, you can go back to the Ariana Survivor and save/vote out some tracks if you like)

"Delicate" is a lovely song and one of my favourites on a (sadly) generic album. It served its purpose in the first few days, though. Maybe I should give it another try.

I love the GaGa tracks. The movie was a bit long but quite effective and she was amazing (she saved it for me) and I honestly loved the music! Need to buy the soundtrack ASAP.
Mainshow
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:46 am

luckyONE wrote:YAY at the amount of re-entrys for Taylot Swift! :) Especially pleased to see "Dress" re-entering your Top 20 so high. It's one of my top favorites off "Reputation". Also loving "This Is Why We Can't Have Nice Things" and "Look What You Made Me Do". 8-)
I love the falsetto bits in "Dress". Plus, it's one of the sexiest songs she's ever recorded.

cheapthrills wrote:I checked out Battles and enjoyed it. I have never heard of him. And it got a man into your top 10 :D
Glad you enjoyed "Battles"!

phoenix98 wrote:Ooh, the "H.A.T.E.U." comparison hadn't crossed my mind, but I can definitely see/hear that! Damn, mankind is TRULY divided in 2018. :cry:

I always appreciate a "Breakdown" shout-out too <3 but, like you said, it was still a struggle deciding which well-crafted line to quote!
I guess the good thing is that the majority of the fan base has strong positive feelings about at least one song!

phoenix98 wrote:Ah, right! If memory serves, you also appreciated Janet drawing attention to boi booty in “Come On Get Up.”

HA! I hadn't thought about that at all while I was cringing at the "Why Did You Do That?" chorus yesterday, but it's a really fitting callback! Maybe that's why it grew on me so quickly: there can be a surprisingly fine line between noisy and catchy sometimes...
Yes, I did! :lol:

That's definitely true.

phoenix98 wrote:I think I've finally reached a place of acceptance regarding your thoughts on that matter, and it definitely helps that you keep serving up some amazing distractions here, such as:
I must admit that I didn't expect to like "With You" as much as I did. I was telling Matt the other day that I think it's one of her finest singles of the new millennium.

phoenix98 wrote:• "Delicate" re-entering at No. 1?!?! :o :cry: :D I know it's always technically possible for a song to enjoy a resurgence here, but I thought that ship had sailed after it failed to accomplish that feat during its time as an official single. AMAs effect? (Though I think she only performed IDSB? Not gonna lie, I'm not SUPER keen on that song, so I haven't actually checked out the performance yet). "Dress" being another of the biggest beneficiaries is a heartwarming surprise too!
It's actually her Instagram post effect. I mean, it would've been nice for her to have spoken out two years ago, but I still appreciate it.

phoenix98 wrote:Yet another refined chart, Akini! :D
Glad that this one resonates with you! :D

RayRay wrote:Great to see Betcha Gon' Know return. One of my all time favorite songs ever. :D
It's definitely the best written song on its parent album!

Mainshow wrote:You are so right, Akini! Madonna needs to get more credit for her beautifully written and well-thought ballads. Actually, I enjoy them a lot!

(btw, you can go back to the Ariana Survivor and save/vote out some tracks if you like)

"Delicate" is a lovely song and one of my favourites on a (sadly) generic album. It served its purpose in the first few days, though. Maybe I should give it another try.

I love the GaGa tracks. The movie was a bit long but quite effective and she was amazing (she saved it for me) and I honestly loved the music! Need to buy the soundtrack ASAP.
Ah, thanks for the survivor reminder!

Hmm...I think Reputation is a bit underrated, perhaps due, in some part, to how amazing its predecessor 1989 was.

Good to hear your positive review of A Star Is Born. I might watch it this Friday.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:53 am

Wednesday's Top 20 (October 10th)

01.(02) Mariah Carey - With You
02.(RE) Lady Gaga - The Cure (Best Comeback)
03.(RE) George Michael - You Have Been Loved
04.(RE) Mariah Carey - We Belong Together
05.(RE) Lana Del Rey - Venice Bitch
06.(RE) Beyoncé - Ave Maria
07.(16) Ariana Grande - Breathin (Greatest Gainer)
08.(RE) Keith Urban - You Look Good in My Shirt
09.(RE) Beyoncé - Crazy in Love (feat. Jay-Z)
10.(RE) Sia - Day Too Soon
11.(RE) Beyoncé - Drunk in Love (feat. Jay-Z)
12.(RE) Hurts - Beautiful Ones
13.(RE) Lady Gaga - Hair Body Face
14.(RE) Rita Ora - Let You Love Me
15.(RE) Clare Maguire - Elizabeth Taylor
16.(RE) Ava Max - Sweet but Psycho
17.(11) Lady Gaga - Shallow (Biggest Free Faller)
18.(RE) Jason Mraz - Have It All
19.(RE) Lana Del Rey - Mariners Apartment Complex
20.(RE) Ariana Grande - No Tears Left to Cry
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:03 am

Thursday's Top 20 (October 11th)

01.(RE) Lady Gaga - Always Remember Us This Way (Best Comeback)
03.(RE) Lady Gaga - Why Did You Do That?
04.(RE) Kacey Musgraves - Oh, What a World
05.(17) Lady Gaga - Shallow (Greatest Gainer)
06.(07) Ariana Grande - Breathin
07.(RE) Lady Gaga - The Cure
08.(RE) Ariana Grande - God Is a Woman
09.(RE) Mariah Carey - All I Want for Christmas Is You
10.(RE) Anastacia - Defeated
11.(RE) Aretha Franklin - Don't Play That Song (You Lied)
12.(RE) Lady Gaga - Million Reasons
13.(RE) Mariah Carey - Oh Santa!
14.(RE) Tamia - Stranger in My House
15.(RE) Ari Lennox - Backseat (feat. Cozz)
16.(RE) Pat Benatar - Dancing Through the Wreckage
17.(RE) Ariana Grande - Let Me Love You (feat. Lil Wayne)
18.(RE) Mariah Carey - Fantasy
19.(RE) Pixie Lott - Mama Do (Uh Oh, Uh Oh)
20.(13) Lady Gaga - Hair Body Face (Biggest Free Faller)
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:03 pm

Friday's Top 20 (October 12th)

01.(05) Lady Gaga - Shallow
02.(RE) Lady Gaga - Bad Romance (Best Comeback)
03.(01) Lady Gaga - Always Remember Us This Way
04.(02) Mariah Carey - With You
05.(RE) Sam Smith - Him
06.(RE) Lana Del Rey - Venice Bitch
07.(RE) 5 Seconds of Summer - Youngblood
08.(RE) Carrie Underwood - Before He Cheats
09.(RE) Taylor Swift - Delicate
10.(RE) Niki - Vintage
11.(RE) Sam Smith - Pray
12.(RE) Olly Murs - Heart Skips a Beat (feat. Rizzle Kicks)
13.(20) Lady Gaga - Hair Body Face (Greatest Gainer)
14.(14) Tamia - Stranger in My House
15.(RE) Lady Gaga - Is That Alright?
16.(RE) Mariah Carey - Betcha Gon' Know (The Prologue)
17.(RE) Dua Lipa - Be the One
18.(RE) One Direction - What a Feeling
19.(RE) Maroon 5 - Girls Like You (feat. Cardi B)
20.(RE) Taylor Swift - This Is Why We Can't Have Nice Things
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:00 pm

JSparksFan wrote:Plus, it's one of the sexiest songs she's ever recorded.
This wasn't in response to anything I said, but I had to quote it for truth.

JSparksFan wrote:I guess the good thing is that the majority of the fan base has strong positive feelings about at least one song!
YES! Lovin' that glass-half-full analysis of the situation.

JSparksFan wrote:I must admit that I didn't expect to like "With You" as much as I did. I was telling Matt the other day that I think it's one of her finest singles of the new millennium.
At first glance, I'm like "One of her finest singles of the 2010's? I guess I can see that...sort of...", before actually reading/thinking properly, realizing you're saying from 2001-today, and proceeding to do a spit-take with my coffee...

JSparksFan wrote:It's actually her Instagram post effect. I mean, it would've been nice for her to have spoken out two years ago, but I still appreciate it.
Billboard published an interesting op-ed on her statements and the author makes some solid points about the perks of her specific timing. I'm not sure if I completely agree with everything that he says, but I appreciated the perspective he offers on the matter.

JSparksFan wrote:01.(05) Lady Gaga - Shallow
02.(RE) Lady Gaga - Bad Romance (Best Comeback)
03.(01) Lady Gaga - Always Remember Us This Way
04.(02) Mariah Carey - With You
07.(RE) 5 Seconds of Summer - Youngblood
08.(RE) Carrie Underwood - Before He Cheats
09.(RE) Taylor Swift - Delicate
11.(RE) Sam Smith - Pray
12.(RE) Olly Murs - Heart Skips a Beat (feat. Rizzle Kicks)
13.(20) Lady Gaga - Hair Body Face (Greatest Gainer)
14.(14) Tamia - Stranger in My House
15.(RE) Lady Gaga - Is That Alright?
16.(RE) Mariah Carey - Betcha Gon' Know (The Prologue)
17.(RE) Dua Lipa - Be the One
19.(RE) Maroon 5 - Girls Like You (feat. Cardi B)
20.(RE) Taylor Swift - This Is Why We Can't Have Nice Things
• I added (what I think are) all the solo-Gaga offerings from the A Star Is Born soundtrack to treat like a new EP from her. I'm honestly not SUPER interested in this whole project overall (I'm rarely inclined toward dramas), so I'm not in a huge rush to see the movie, but it's been really nice watching her get so much positive press! I also love the effect that it's had on some of her older hits here, of course!
• Kudos to 5SOS for scoring such a massive, unexpected comeback with "Youngblood."

Yet another chart that I'm happy to dive into, Akini! :D
phoenix98
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:10 am

phoenix98 wrote:This wasn't in response to anything I said, but I had to quote it for truth.
I like to picture the dress she was wearing in the "I Don't Wanna Live Forever" video when I listen to the song. She and Zayn really could have filmed a video for "Dress" right after they finished shooting that one.

phoenix98 wrote:At first glance, I'm like "One of her finest singles of the 2010's? I guess I can see that...sort of...", before actually reading/thinking properly, realizing you're saying from 2001-today, and proceeding to do a spit-take with my coffee...
Well, it's not #1 in that period, but it's certainly...top 10. Actually, I just went through her singles discography on Wikipedia, and it looks like it's my sixth favourite from 2001 to now.

phoenix98 wrote:Billboard published an interesting op-ed on her statements and the author makes some solid points about the perks of her specific timing. I'm not sure if I completely agree with everything that he says, but I appreciated the perspective he offers on the matter.
Thanks for sharing! I absolutely disagree that last Sunday's post was "perfect timing". I also disagree that her voice would have just "blended in" with the others two years ago. I believe it would've been particularly powerful for someone who was once (allegedly) a Republican supporter to denounce Trump pre-election on the basis that he didn't represent any of the ideals Taylor claims to stand for in the post she made. As a feminist and LGBTQ+ ally, she failed, in my opinion. I'll also be petty and bring up the fact that this "perfect timing" just happens to coincide with the end of the US leg of her massively successful Reputation tour. As a few Twitter folks pointed out...

phoenix98 wrote:• I added (what I think are) all the solo-Gaga offerings from the A Star Is Born soundtrack to treat like a new EP from her. I'm honestly not SUPER interested in this whole project overall (I'm rarely inclined toward dramas), so I'm not in a huge rush to see the movie, but it's been really nice watching her get so much positive press! I also love the effect that it's had on some of her older hits here, of course!
Yeah, I plan to do the same so the solo- and lead-Gaga songs will form an 'LP' of sorts to chart on my year-end countdown. I'm pretty excited to see the movie. I was supposed to do so Friday, but I'll definitely pencil it in soon (maybe today, in fact).

phoenix98 wrote:• Kudos to 5SOS for scoring such a massive, unexpected comeback with "Youngblood."
It's one of the few songs in the US top 10 that I like right now.

phoenix98 wrote:Yet another chart that I'm happy to dive into, Akini! :D
Thanks, Paul! 8-)
JSparksFan
Legend

Return to Personal Charts