Akini's Daily Top 20: #1 My dearest of all...

Moderators: JSparksFan, tdc2000, FreakyFlyBry

 

Postby JSparksFan » Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:56 am

Friday's Top 20 (January 5th)

01.(01) Lorde - Sober
02.(02) Bruno Mars - Finesse (feat. Cardi B)
03.(03) Lorde - The Louvre
04.(RE) Britney Spears - Hold It Against Me (Best Comeback)
05.(RE) Paramore - Brick by Boring Brick
06.(RE) Nicki Minaj - Super Bass
07.(RE) Girls Aloud - Untouchable
08.(RE) Beyoncé - Run the World (Girls)
09.(NE) Miguel - Come Through and Chill (feat. J. Cole) (Highest Debut)
10.(RE) Katy Perry - Roulette
11.(RE) Shania Twain - I'm Alright
12.(RE) Miguel - Sky Walker
13.(RE) Lana Del Rey - Love
14.(RE) Kanye West - Monster (feat. Jay-Z, Rick Ross, Bon Iver, & Nicki Minaj)
15.(17) Katy Perry - Chained to the Rhythm (feat. Skip Marley) (Greatest Gainer)
16.(RE) Kesha - Rainbow
17.(RE) Paramore - Crushcrushcrush
18.(RE) Lorde - Homemade Dynamite
19.(RE) Ariana Grande - Moonlight
20.(RE) Paramore - Still into You
Aretha Franklin was an angel. Her voice helped lift our spirits and at times gave us the soundtrack to cope with our pain.
User avatar
JSparksFan
Legend
 
Posts: 47932
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009
Location: Bahamas

Postby phoenix98 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:00 am

JSparksFan wrote:The latter, bolded bit.
Right on. So you'll have some friend time, some family time...and hopefully some f**king time too. ;) ;) ;)

JSparksFan wrote:No, they don't. You shouldn't be rewarded for not being a bigot. That's setting the bar way too low.
Ha, fair point. A part of me wants to acknowledge any positive/community-friendly behavior as a way to (ideally) encourage similar behavior in others...but I can see how being too quick to show gratitude/commendation sends the message that we don't automatically deserve that basic level of respect anyway (like everyone else.) I guess it's like thanking someone for greeting you with a handshake instead of a face-slap...

JSparksFan wrote:I've been using Facebook as a hosting site. I just make the pictures visible to me only, create the albums (for YEC songs, YEC albums, YEC artists, etc.) and keep it moving. I use Paint to make banners.
Ah, that Facebook workaround is really clever! Thanks! I might have underestimated Paint too (I don't think I've ever seriously explored/toyed around with it...)

JSparksFan wrote:Well, "Titanium" is among my Top 10 songs ever, so I wouldn't call this umpteenth "Titanium" wave 2017 shade. 2017 was a decent year in music for me.
:lol: Maybe I was a little too quick to see "Titanium"s latest achievement in a negative light. It was just somewhat surprising to find it on top at a time when year-end nostalgia is usually in full force. Granted, your very first No. 1 of 2016 was "Dancing Queen"...

JSparksFan wrote:01.(01) Lorde - Sober
02.(02) Bruno Mars - Finesse (feat. Cardi B)
03.(03) Lorde - The Louvre
04.(RE) Britney Spears - Hold It Against Me (Best Comeback)
06.(RE) Nicki Minaj - Super Bass
07.(RE) Girls Aloud - Untouchable
08.(RE) Beyoncé - Run the World (Girls)
10.(RE) Katy Perry - Roulette
15.(17) Katy Perry - Chained to the Rhythm (feat. Skip Marley) (Greatest Gainer)
16.(RE) Kesha - Rainbow
18.(RE) Lorde - Homemade Dynamite
19.(RE) Ariana Grande - Moonlight
20.(RE) Paramore - Still into You
• On my first listen through "Sober", I'm a little let-down by the understated chorus after the catchy/hypnotic "but my hips have missed your hips..." pre-chorus. I can definitely see why you'd respect the lyrics in this one, though - some impactful, thought-provoking stuff (aka Lorde being Lorde.)
• I was hoping to see "Finesse" on top after I noticed you sharing some kind words over in its thread, but a chart run of 2-2 is still a VERY solid start! I hadn't been paying much attention to the 24K Magic era in a while (I'd already played "Versace" so much back when it was a promo single in late 2016 that I didn't really get back into it when it became the third official single, and I didn't even realize "Chunky" was a kinda-sorta-proper single until I was reading an article about the new version of "Finesse"), but this remix (and its video) have really put Bruno back on my brain!
• Lovin' the random "Rainbow" re-entry! Of the three recent pop-girls-go-rock/country-ish albums (Joanne, Rainbow, and Younger Now), I was the most pleasantly surprised by Rainbow.

Yet another intoxicating chart, Akini! :D
User avatar
phoenix98
Legend
 
Posts: 13050
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2007

Postby JSparksFan » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:55 am

phoenix98 wrote:Right on. So you'll have some friend time, some family time...and hopefully some f**king time too. ;) ;) ;)
I love your new avi! It's very weather-appropriate!

To complete the trinity of F's. :lol: You know, I still haven't arrived at that "Express Yourself"/"Honey" phase of my life. I'm more in a..."Fantasy" sort of period. :lol: In good time, though. 8-) :wink:

phoenix98 wrote:Ha, fair point. A part of me wants to acknowledge any positive/community-friendly behavior as a way to (ideally) encourage similar behavior in others...but I can see how being too quick to show gratitude/commendation sends the message that we don't automatically deserve that basic level of respect anyway (like everyone else.) I guess it's like thanking someone for greeting you with a handshake instead of a face-slap...
Precisely. :lol:

phoenix98 wrote:Ah, that Facebook workaround is really clever! Thanks! I might have underestimated Paint too (I don't think I've ever seriously explored/toyed around with it...)
Granted, my banners aren't anything special, but Paint is a fantastically simple tool for resizing, collage-ing, etc. It's so underrated. Even if it's not a big production, I'm curious to see what your year-end wrap-up looks like.

phoenix98 wrote: :lol: Maybe I was a little too quick to see "Titanium"s latest achievement in a negative light. It was just somewhat surprising to find it on top at a time when year-end nostalgia is usually in full force. Granted, your very first No. 1 of 2016 was "Dancing Queen"...
Year-end nostalgia doesn't always prevail. Other January 1 chart-toppers have been: "Firework" (New Year's-appropriate anthem), "Poison" (WTF was going on with me then...but I guess it is a low-key bop, though I have to class it as a random discovery), "Just a Fool" (year-end countdown effect), "Pretty Hurts," (year-end countdown effect), and "I'm Alive" (New Year's-appropriate anthem). So the only outlier is "Poison" really.

phoenix98 wrote:• On my first listen through "Sober", I'm a little let-down by the understated chorus after the catchy/hypnotic "but my hips have missed your hips..." pre-chorus. I can definitely see why you'd respect the lyrics in this one, though - some impactful, thought-provoking stuff (aka Lorde being Lorde.)
"Sober" is a winner more for its eclectic, experimental, but punchy pop production, and clever intonation inserts, than its admittedly fantastic lyrical content. I think it's the best Melodrama song by some margin. It just may be her best song yet actually! :o It's definitely worth a revisit, I can assure you.

phoenix98 wrote:• I was hoping to see "Finesse" on top after I noticed you sharing some kind words over in its thread, but a chart run of 2-2 is still a VERY solid start! I hadn't been paying much attention to the 24K Magic era in a while (I'd already played "Versace" so much back when it was a promo single in late 2016 that I didn't really get back into it when it became the third official single, and I didn't even realize "Chunky" was a kinda-sorta-proper single until I was reading an article about the new version of "Finesse"), but this remix (and its video) have really put Bruno back on my brain!
Well, "Finesse" is already a #1 hit here, after peaking there on December 9, 2016. The remix 'should' have rocketed the song back to the top, but Lorde is a massive force right now, so she'll be keeping folks at bay for the foreseeable future. I am pleased with the remix, though. The original, for me, is still superior - it was my initial favourite 24K Magic track, and its parent album was my #2 LP of 2016, behind only the masterpiece that is Lemonade - but the remix is solid, and gives the song a fresh, perhaps even cooler, slant that I can appreciate. The video is disgustingly 90s, and so much fun to watch!

phoenix98 wrote:• Lovin' the random "Rainbow" re-entry! Of the three recent pop-girls-go-rock/country-ish albums (Joanne, Rainbow, and Younger Now), I was the most pleasantly surprised by Rainbow.
Well, Younger Now is barely music, so I get that, but Joanne is really impressive, so Rainbow is relegated to the middle for me.
Aretha Franklin was an angel. Her voice helped lift our spirits and at times gave us the soundtrack to cope with our pain.
User avatar
JSparksFan
Legend
 
Posts: 47932
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009
Location: Bahamas

Postby JSparksFan » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:01 am

Saturday's Top 20 (January 6th)

01.(01) Lorde - Sober
02.(NE) Justin Timberlake - Filthy (Highest Debut)
03.(NE) Kylie Minogue - Butterfly
04.(03) Lorde - The Louvre
05.(RE) Céline Dion - I'm Alive (Best Comeback)
06.(RE) Sam Smith - Him
07.(RE) Kylie Minogue - On a Night Like This
08.(RE) Kylie Minogue - Please Stay
09.(RE) Kylie Minogue - Your Disco Needs You
10.(NE) Kylie Minogue - So Now Goodbye
11.(02) Bruno Mars - Finesse (feat. Cardi B) (Biggest Free Faller)
12.(RE) Lorde - Writer in the Dark
13.(RE) Portugal. The Man - Feel It Still
14.(RE) Harry Styles - Sign of the Times
15.(RE) Portugal. The Man - So Young
16.(RE) Lorde - Supercut
17.(RE) Sam Smith - Pray
18.(18) Lorde - Homemade Dynamite
19.(RE) Kylie Minogue - Spinning Around
20.(NE) Lorde - Sober II (Melodrama)
Aretha Franklin was an angel. Her voice helped lift our spirits and at times gave us the soundtrack to cope with our pain.
User avatar
JSparksFan
Legend
 
Posts: 47932
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009
Location: Bahamas

Postby Phoenixx » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:18 pm

JSparksFan wrote:02.(NE) Justin Timberlake - Filthy (Highest Debut)
03.(NE) Kylie Minogue - Butterfly
09.(RE) Kylie Minogue - Your Disco Needs You
11.(02) Bruno Mars - Finesse (feat. Cardi B) (Biggest Free Faller)
13.(RE) Portugal. The Man - Feel It Still
16.(RE) Lorde - Supercut
18.(18) Lorde - Homemade Dynamite
Great to see JTs new Song at #02 debuting! 8-)
User avatar
Phoenixx
Purpose
 
Posts: 14548
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2012
Location: Germany

Postby JSparksFan » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:31 am

Phoenixx wrote:Great to see JTs new Song at #02 debuting! 8-)
It's that high because of the review I wrote for it. I typically play songs as I review them, so JT's 'airplay' was extraordinarily high yesterday. The song isn't that bad, though. It's at least better than "Suit & Tie".
Aretha Franklin was an angel. Her voice helped lift our spirits and at times gave us the soundtrack to cope with our pain.
User avatar
JSparksFan
Legend
 
Posts: 47932
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009
Location: Bahamas

Postby JSparksFan » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:38 am

Sunday's Top 20 (January 7th)

01.(01) Lorde - Sober
02.(RE) Kylie Minogue - Crystallize (Best Comeback)
03.(NE) Lorde - Liability (Reprise) (Highest Debut)
04.(04) Lorde - The Louvre
05.(RE) Lorde - Green Light
06.(RE) Imagine Dragons - Whatever It Takes
07.(RE) Nancy Sinatra - I Can't Grow Peaches on a Cherry Tree
08.(NE) Stevie Wonder - Living for the City
09.(NE) Lorde - Liability
10.(RE) Taylor Swift - Getaway Car
11.(18) Lorde - Homemade Dynamite (Greatest Gainer)
12.(08) Kylie Minogue - Please Stay (Biggest Free Faller)
13.(RE) Rita Ora - Anywhere
14.(RE) Lorde - Tennis Court
15.(RE) ABBA - Head Over Heels
16.(RE) Imagine Dragons - Thunder
17.(RE) Childish Gambino - Redbone
18.(20) Lorde - Sober II (Melodrama)
19.(RE) Ed Sheeran - Shape of You
20.(RE) Miley Cyrus - Malibu
Aretha Franklin was an angel. Her voice helped lift our spirits and at times gave us the soundtrack to cope with our pain.
User avatar
JSparksFan
Legend
 
Posts: 47932
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009
Location: Bahamas

Postby JSparksFan » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:33 am

Monday's Top 20 (January 8th)

01.(18) Lorde - Sober II (Melodrama) (Greatest Gainer)
02.(11) Lorde - Homemade Dynamite (feat. SZA, Khalid, & Post Malone)
03.(01) Lorde - Sober
04.(RE) Taylor Swift - Delicate (Best Comeback)
05.(04) Lorde - The Louvre
06.(03) Lorde - Liability (Reprise)
07.(RE) Mariah Carey - Stay the Night
08.(RE) Lil Kim - No Matter What They Say
09.(02) Kylie Minogue - Crystallize (Biggest Free Faller)
10.(RE) Madonna - The Power of Goodbye
11.(RE) Sam Smith - Him
12.(RE) Kelly Clarkson - I Had a Dream
13.(08) Stevie Wonder - Living for the City
14.(RE) Shawn Mendes - There's Nothing Holdin' Me Back
15.(RE) David Bowie - Space Oddity
16.(RE) Zayn - Like I Would
17.(RE) Charli XCX - Boys
18.(RE) Bruno Mars - Finesse (feat. Cardi B)
19.(RE) Lorde - Writer in the Dark
20.(RE) Madonna - Rain
Aretha Franklin was an angel. Her voice helped lift our spirits and at times gave us the soundtrack to cope with our pain.
User avatar
JSparksFan
Legend
 
Posts: 47932
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009
Location: Bahamas

Postby JSparksFan » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:17 am

Tuesday's Top 20 (January 9th)

01.(01) Lorde - Sober II (Melodrama)
02.(RE) Lady Gaga - The Cure (Best Comeback)
03.(RE) Christina Aguilera - Get Mine, Get Yours
04.(03) Lorde - Sober
05.(RE) Tina Turner - Till the Right Man Comes Along
06.(02) Lorde - Homemade Dynamite (feat. SZA, Khalid, & Post Malone)
07.(RE) Zayn - Dusk Till Dawn (feat. Sia)
08.(11) Sam Smith - Him (Greatest Gainer)
09.(05) Lorde - The Louvre
10.(RE) Jorja Smith - Teenage Fantasy
11.(RE) Zayn - TIO
12.(04) Taylor Swift - Delicate (Biggest Free Faller)
13.(RE) Mariah Carey - Underneath the Stars
14.(RE) Kygo & Selena Gomez - It AIn't Me
15.(RE) Cardi B - Bodak Yellow
16.(RE) Camila Cabello - Havana
17.(RE) Rae Morris - Do It
18.(13) Stevie Wonder - Living for the City
19.(RE) Kylie Minogue - Butterfly
20.(RE) Rihanna - Diamonds
Aretha Franklin was an angel. Her voice helped lift our spirits and at times gave us the soundtrack to cope with our pain.
User avatar
JSparksFan
Legend
 
Posts: 47932
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009
Location: Bahamas

Postby JSparksFan » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:44 am

Wednesday's Top 20 (January 10th)

01.(06) Lorde - Homemade Dynamite (feat. Khalid, SZA, & Post Malone) (Greatest Gainer)
02.(RE) Fuel - Haemorrhage (In My Hands) (Best Comeback)
03.(NE) Rina Sawayama - Cyber Stockholm Syndrome (Highest Debut)
04.(RE) Portugal. The Man - Feel It Still
05.(RE) Shania Twain - I'm Alright
06.(01) Lorde - Sober (Melodrama) (Biggest Free Faller)
07.(RE) Harry Styles - Sign of the Times
08.(04) Lorde - Sober
09.(NE) Outkast - Hey Ya!
10.(RE) Selena Gomez & the Scene - Love You Like a Love Song
11.(NE) Outkast - Roses
12.(RE) Kelly Clarkson - Love So Soft
13.(RE) Miley Cyrus - Thinkin'
14.(RE) Coldplay - Adventure of a Lifetime
15.(RE) Shania Twain - That Don't Impress Me Much
16.(RE) Meghan Trainor - All About That Bass
17.(RE) Shania Twain - Poor Me
18.(RE) Girls Aloud - Untouchable
19.(RE) All Saints - One Strike
20.(RE) Rita Ora - Poison
Aretha Franklin was an angel. Her voice helped lift our spirits and at times gave us the soundtrack to cope with our pain.
User avatar
JSparksFan
Legend
 
Posts: 47932
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009
Location: Bahamas

Postby JSparksFan » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:33 am

Thursday's Top 20 (January 11th)

01.(08) Lorde - Sober (Greatest Gainer)
02.(RE) Mariah Carey - The Beautiful Ones (feat. Dru Hill) (Best Comeback)
03.(01) Lorde - Homemade Dynamite (feat. SZA, Khalid, & Post Malone)
04.(06) Lorde - Sober II (Melodrama)
05.(NE) Troye Sivan - My My My! (Highest Debut)
06.(RE) Bruno Mars - Finesse
07.(RE) Ciara - Dance Like We're Making Love
08.(RE) Childish Gambino - Redbone
09.(RE) Rihanna - Good Girl Gone Bad
10.(RE) Taylor Swift - Delicate
11.(RE) Niall Horan - Slow Hands
12.(RE) Auli'i Cravalho - How Far I'll Go
13.(RE) Céline Dion - I'm Alive
14.(RE) Taylor Swift - Call It What You Want
15.(RE) Madonna - Rain
16.(RE) Mariah Carey - Melt Away
17.(RE) Janet Jackson - That's the Way Love Goes
18.(RE) Rihanna - Te Amo
19.(RE) Camila Cabello - Havana
20.(RE) Sam Cooke - A Change Is Gonna Come
Aretha Franklin was an angel. Her voice helped lift our spirits and at times gave us the soundtrack to cope with our pain.
User avatar
JSparksFan
Legend
 
Posts: 47932
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009
Location: Bahamas

Postby phoenix98 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:45 am

JSparksFan wrote:I love your new avi! It's very weather-appropriate!

To complete the trinity of F's. :lol: You know, I still haven't arrived at that "Express Yourself"/"Honey" phase of my life. I'm more in a..."Fantasy" sort of period. :lol: In good time, though. 8-) :wink:
Many thanks! :D

Ha, nOoOoOoOoOoO rush, then! That's a perfectly pleasant period to be in (and the anticipation can sometimes be better than the actual end product anyway.) I just hope you can achieve maximum satisfaction from this vacation in whatever ways suit you best.

JSparksFan wrote:Granted, my banners aren't anything special, but Paint is a fantastically simple tool for resizing, collage-ing, etc. It's so underrated. Even if it's not a big production, I'm curious to see what your year-end wrap-up looks like.
Although I think you're selling your banner-making-skills a bit short, your write-ups are so epic that any accompanying visuals are a mere cherry on top. I've definitely been guilty of under-rating Paint, so kudos for giving it a proper chance and educating the rest of us on what we've been missing! I'm truly touched by the interest...but I don't plan on doing any year-end posts for 2017 :oops: I did take a glance at yours the other day, and added "Redbone" to my library as a result!

JSparksFan wrote:Year-end nostalgia doesn't always prevail. Other January 1 chart-toppers have been: "Firework" (New Year's-appropriate anthem), "Poison" (WTF was going on with me then...but I guess it is a low-key bop, though I have to class it as a random discovery), "Just a Fool" (year-end countdown effect), "Pretty Hurts," (year-end countdown effect), and "I'm Alive" (New Year's-appropriate anthem). So the only outlier is "Poison" really.
As in Nicole Scherzinger's "Poison"? I mean, it's a pretty random New Year's entry, but definitely a jam (though it was "Don't Hold Your Breath" that really sold me on her as a solo act, after spending years resenting her for causing the premature downfall of PCD...)

JSparksFan wrote:"Sober" is a winner more for its eclectic, experimental, but punchy pop production, and clever intonation inserts, than its admittedly fantastic lyrical content. I think it's the best Melodrama song by some margin. It just may be her best song yet actually! :o It's definitely worth a revisit, I can assure you.
Lord(e) knows you were spot-on with "A World Alone", so I've just added "Sober" to my library in order to give it at least a couple more proper listens in the coming days...

JSparksFan wrote:Well, "Finesse" is already a #1 hit here, after peaking there on December 9, 2016. The remix 'should' have rocketed the song back to the top, but Lorde is a massive force right now, so she'll be keeping folks at bay for the foreseeable future. I am pleased with the remix, though. The original, for me, is still superior - it was my initial favourite 24K Magic track, and its parent album was my #2 LP of 2016, behind only the masterpiece that is Lemonade - but the remix is solid, and gives the song a fresh, perhaps even cooler, slant that I can appreciate. The video is disgustingly 90s, and so much fun to watch!
I'm a little surprised that Cardi's contributions + the video weren't enough to elevate this version above the original for you - but I'd definitely forgotten that you felt so strongly about the original in the first place. and since it had more than a year's head-start to firmly secure a place in your heart, I can understand how any new version would've had to REALLY deliver something special to overcome that.

JSparksFan wrote:ell, Younger Now is barely music, so I get that, but Joanne is really impressive, so Rainbow is relegated to the middle for me.
:o So I guess you got around to giving that one a listen...and it made a less-than-favorable impression?

I mean, I wasn't too impressed either (it's easily my least favorite of those three), but I'm sorry to hear that Miley disappointed you THAT drastically!

JSparksFan wrote:01.(08) Lorde - Sober (Greatest Gainer)
02.(RE) Mariah Carey - The Beautiful Ones (feat. Dru Hill) (Best Comeback)
05.(NE) Troye Sivan - My My My! (Highest Debut)
06.(RE) Bruno Mars - Finesse
08.(RE) Childish Gambino - Redbone
09.(RE) Rihanna - Good Girl Gone Bad
10.(RE) Taylor Swift - Delicate
11.(RE) Niall Horan - Slow Hands
12.(RE) Auli'i Cravalho - How Far I'll Go
14.(RE) Taylor Swift - Call It What You Want
15.(RE) Madonna - Rain
16.(RE) Mariah Carey - Melt Away
17.(RE) Janet Jackson - That's the Way Love Goes
18.(RE) Rihanna - Te Amo
19.(RE) Camila Cabello - Havana
• For a long time, I'd considered "The Beautiful Ones" the closest thing to a mis-step/skippable moment on Butterfly (its length being a big factor, but I probably still would've found it too dull even edited down)...but I should see if I'd feel any differently today. I can't remember the last time I played through that iconic album from start to finish.
• I gave "My My My!" a very quick listen earlier today, and it sounded pretty promising! Another tune that I just added to my library.
• Cardi ommission aside, I'm not picking up on many differences in the original "Finesse." The backing vocals sound different at parts (and Cardi’s taken charge of the "we got it goin' on..." bit), but the production seems nearly identical throughout? Granted, not that that's a bad thing, since it means both versions sound equally fabulous to my ears! Unsurprisingly, you made a great pick for the 24K Magic standout.
• Nice to see some confirmation of the encouraging words you shared about "Delicate" over in my thread!
• I'll never get completely over "Te Amo" being passed over in favor of "Rockstar 101" in the US. SMH.

Yet another clear-headed chart, Akini! :D
User avatar
phoenix98
Legend
 
Posts: 13050
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2007

Postby JSparksFan » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:48 am

phoenix98 wrote:Ha, nOoOoOoOoOoO rush, then! That's a perfectly pleasant period to be in (and the anticipation can sometimes be better than the actual end product anyway.) I just hope you can achieve maximum satisfaction from this vacation in whatever ways suit you best.
That's the goal. :lol:

phoenix98 wrote:Although I think you're selling your banner-making-skills a bit short, your write-ups are so epic that any accompanying visuals are a mere cherry on top. I've definitely been guilty of under-rating Paint, so kudos for giving it a proper chance and educating the rest of us on what we've been missing! I'm truly touched by the interest...but I don't plan on doing any year-end posts for 2017 :oops: I did take a glance at yours the other day, and added "Redbone" to my library as a result!
Aw, you've always been so sweet about my write-ups. Thanks! <3

"Redbone" meant a lot to me, so I was grateful that people were able to appreciate the song on some level. I'm elated that you've added it to your library, and I hope it resonates with you to some degree.

Boo at you not making any 2017 year-end lists! I was looking forward to the K-pop jams.

phoenix98 wrote:As in Nicole Scherzinger's "Poison"? I mean, it's a pretty random New Year's entry, but definitely a jam (though it was "Don't Hold Your Breath" that really sold me on her as a solo act, after spending years resenting her for causing the premature downfall of PCD...)
Yeah, Nicole's "Poison" is so catchy and fun! It's basic, but good basic. I don't think "Don't Hold Your Breath" is as punchy/snappy.

PCD were a pretty bleh girls group anyway. They did deliver some bangers during their time together, though: "Don't Cha," "Buttons," "I Hate This Part".

phoenix98 wrote:Lord(e) knows you were spot-on with "A World Alone", so I've just added "Sober" to my library in order to give it at least a couple more proper listens in the coming days...
Clever! :lol:

Hope you fall for "Sober"!

phoenix98 wrote:I'm a little surprised that Cardi's contributions + the video weren't enough to elevate this version above the original for you - but I'd definitely forgotten that you felt so strongly about the original in the first place. and since it had more than a year's head-start to firmly secure a place in your heart, I can understand how any new version would've had to REALLY deliver something special to overcome that.
Yeah, the thing about remixes of songs that are already fantastic is that same bit I bolded. Britney's contribution to the "S&M" rihmix was fantastic, no doubt, but not fantastic enough to eclipse the already phenomenal original cut. I absolutely love Cardi B's look in the video, and she and Bruno are a winning pair in the clip, but I care more about the music itself than accompanying visuals (even solid ones). The song didn't really need a remix, in my opinion. It's like Beyoncé on "Perfect". Star power may help the song's commercial success, but if it's great in its solo version, you have to really be patient and work hard to come up with something to elevate it. #endoframblewithasinglepoint

phoenix98 wrote: :o So I guess you got around to giving that one a listen...and it made a less-than-favorable impression?

I mean, I wasn't too impressed either (it's easily my least favorite of those three), but I'm sorry to hear that Miley disappointed you THAT drastically!
Yeah, it's Miley, so I had to check it out. I don't regret that I did, but, damn, it was bad. :lol:

phoenix98 wrote:• For a long time, I'd considered "The Beautiful Ones" the closest thing to a mis-step/skippable moment on Butterfly (its length being a big factor, but I probably still would've found it too dull even edited down)...but I should see if I'd feel any differently today. I can't remember the last time I played through that iconic album from start to finish.
Oh my! I was thinking about how Butterfly is probably my favourite album of all-time, and "The Beautiful Ones" holds a really special place on that very special record. The ad-libs are phenomenal, but the emotion, Paul! I feel her despair, every ounce of it. The insecurity (Don't my kisses please you right?), the vulnerability (If I told you baby, that I was in love with you), the almost delusional optimism (If we get married, would that be cool?), and the inevitability of being a victim of a cyclical pattern of self-initiated heartbreak (You were so hard to find + the beautiful ones, they hurt you every time). The first four minutes and 20 seconds are merely preamble to the big Do you want me/I want you declaration. And the conclusion that the beautiful ones, they hurt you every time is one that I'm finding is true to a terrifying extent. It's so, so good. There are few songs where Mariah conveys such strong emotion so brilliantly and palpably. I really need to do another Mimi tribute. I know I gave that one a ridiculous ranking six years ago. :lol:

phoenix98 wrote:• I gave "My My My!" a very quick listen earlier today, and it sounded pretty promising! Another tune that I just added to my library.
The video is lovely, too! Be sure to check it out.

phoenix98 wrote:• Cardi ommission aside, I'm not picking up on many differences in the original "Finesse." The backing vocals sound different at parts (and Cardi’s taken charge of the "we got it goin' on..." bit), but the production seems nearly identical throughout? Granted, not that that's a bad thing, since it means both versions sound equally fabulous to my ears! Unsurprisingly, you made a great pick for the 24K Magic standout.
The bridge/hook (Fellas, grab your ladies if your lady fine...) is glossier on the remix, and I don't like the added gloss. To be fair, if the original version is a 10/10, the remix is probably a 9.2/10. It's not a big step-down, so I genuinely appreciate both.

phoenix98 wrote:• Nice to see some confirmation of the encouraging words you shared about "Delicate" over in my thread!
I come around to your favourites more often than not. :wink:

phoenix98 wrote:• I'll never get completely over "Te Amo" being passed over in favor of "Rockstar 101" in the US. SMH.
Which RiRi do you think America was more ready to embrace: sexuality experimentation Rihanna or straightforward, catchy pop/rock Rihanna? Homegirl had to think with her coins in mind!
Aretha Franklin was an angel. Her voice helped lift our spirits and at times gave us the soundtrack to cope with our pain.
User avatar
JSparksFan
Legend
 
Posts: 47932
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009
Location: Bahamas

Postby JSparksFan » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:54 am

Friday's Top 20 (January 12th)

01.(05) Troye Sivan - My My My! (Greatest Gainer)
02.(NE) Carrie Underwood - The Champion (feat. Ludacris) (Highest Debut)
03.(02) Mariah Carey - The Beautiful Ones (feat. Dru Hill)
04.(06) Bruno Mars - Finesse
05.(01) Lorde - Sober
06.(08) Childish Gambino - Redbone
07.(RE) Bruno Mars - That's What I Like (Best Comeback)
08.(04) Lorde - Sober II (Melodrama) (Biggest Free Faller)
09.(RE) Fuel - Haemorrhage (In My Hands)
10.(RE) Imagine Dragons - Whatever It Takes
11.(RE) Carrie Underwood - Before He Cheats
12.(RE) Tove Lo - Moments
13.(RE) Jason Derulo - Talk Dirty (feat. 2 Chainz)
14.(RE) Michael Jackson - Remember the Time
15.(RE) Carrie Underwood - Church Bells
16.(RE) Nicki Minaj - No Frauds (feat. Drake & Lil Wayne)
17.(RE) Rachel Platten - Perfect for You
18.(RE) Carrie Underwood - Blown Away
19.(RE) Ed Sheeran - Perfect
20.(RE) Taylor Swift - End Game (feat. Future & Ed Sheeran)
Aretha Franklin was an angel. Her voice helped lift our spirits and at times gave us the soundtrack to cope with our pain.
User avatar
JSparksFan
Legend
 
Posts: 47932
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009
Location: Bahamas

Postby Rihab » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:37 am

Haven’t stepped into the personal charts section in a while (years), but I remember yours was always one of my favorites. Good to know it’s still being updated. :wink: :D

JSparksFan wrote:Friday's Top 20 (January 12th)

04.(06) Bruno Mars - Finesse
05.(01) Lorde - Sober
06.(08) Childish Gambino - Redbone
07.(RE) Bruno Mars - That's What I Like (Best Comeback)
08.(04) Lorde - Sober II (Melodrama) (Biggest Free Faller)
13.(RE) Jason Derulo - Talk Dirty (feat. 2 Chainz)
16.(RE) Nicki Minaj - No Frauds (feat. Drake & Lil Wayne)
Love these, especially Redbone, Sober and Sober II. Is Finesse the remix, solo version or both?
User avatar
Rihab
Legend
 
Posts: 18175
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2010
Location: Germany

Postby JSparksFan » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:23 am

Rihab wrote:Haven’t stepped into the personal charts section in a while (years), but I remember yours was always one of my favorites. Good to know it’s still being updated. :wink: :D
Thanks for stopping by! :D

Rihab wrote:Love these, especially Redbone, Sober and Sober II. Is Finesse the remix, solo version or both?
Your favourites are actually mine as well. :lol: "Redbone" is actually my #1 song of 2017.

It's both versions of "Finesse". The original was my favourite from 24K Magic when I first played the LP, and the Cardi B remix is nice, as is its retro video!
Aretha Franklin was an angel. Her voice helped lift our spirits and at times gave us the soundtrack to cope with our pain.
User avatar
JSparksFan
Legend
 
Posts: 47932
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009
Location: Bahamas

Postby JSparksFan » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:29 am

Saturday's Top 20 (January 13th)

01.(02) Carrie Underwood - The Champion (feat. Ludacris)
02.(04) Bruno Mars - Finesse (feat. Cardi B) (Greatest Gainer)
03.(RE) Taylor Swift - Getaway Car (Best Comeback)
04.(RE) Katy Perry - Roulette
05.(RE) Rae Morris - Do It
06.(RE) Camila Cabello - Crying in the Club
07.(01) Troye Sivan - My My My! (Biggest Free Faller)
08.(05) Lorde - Sober
09.(NE) The Cardigans - My Favourite Game (Highest Debut)
10.(RE) Miranda Lambert - Priscilla
11.(NE) Billie Piper - Girlfriend
12.(RE) Camila Cabello - Havana
13.(RE) Cardi B - Bartier Cardi (feat. 21 Savage)
14.(RE) Justin Timberlake - Filthy
15.(RE) Liam Payne & Rita Ora - For You
16.(RE) Lorde - Homemade Dynamite (feat. SZA, Khalid, & Post Malone)
17.(NE) Camila Cabello - Never Be the Same
18.(RE) Taylor Swift - Delicate
19.(NE) Rob Dougan - Furious Angels
20.(NE) Camila Cabello - In the Dark
Aretha Franklin was an angel. Her voice helped lift our spirits and at times gave us the soundtrack to cope with our pain.
User avatar
JSparksFan
Legend
 
Posts: 47932
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009
Location: Bahamas

Postby SummerPeur » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:30 am

07.(01) Troye Sivan - My My My! (Biggest Free Faller)

How are you feeling this song? I really like the song, but for some reason, the music video actually makes me dislike it. Usually its the complete opposite.

11.(NE) Billie Piper - Girlfriend

You're welcome ;).....if you know what I mean (Sorry Wayne :lol: )
Yeah, I Bloom
I, Bloom Just For You
I Bloom, Just For Youuuuu
User avatar
SummerPeur
Superstar
 
Posts: 9747
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2012
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Postby JakeP » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:40 am

Hello Akini :D

First of all OMG at this.

01.(05) Troye Sivan - My My My! (Greatest Gainer)
02.(NE) Carrie Underwood - The Champion (feat. Ludacris) (Highest Debut)

:o :o :D :D :P :P

Am i right in guessing this would be the first instance where we had the same top 2 on a Saturday?

Love both songs so much. Troye's new single just impacted hard when i first watched the music video on Thursday night. I've always adored Troye anyways but he is owning it in his music video. I watched an interview too and Troye said he was worried that his dancing would come across as daft. :( Poor guy thinking that way, i just wanted to be right there dancing by his side. :lol:

Carrie Underwood really surprised me. I never ever thought i'd hear Carrie singing an r'n'b track. Her vocals are on fire in the track, and it made me think of Mary J Blige for some reason. :P Another excellent new release.

Let's check out the most played songs of yesterday then. :D

JSparksFan wrote:Saturday's Top 20 (January 13th)

01.(02) Carrie Underwood - The Champion (feat. Ludacris)
02.(04) Bruno Mars - Finesse (feat. Cardi B) (Greatest Gainer)
04.(RE) Katy Perry - Roulette
05.(RE) Rae Morris - Do It
06.(RE) Camila Cabello - Crying in the Club
07.(01) Troye Sivan - My My My! (Biggest Free Faller)
08.(05) Lorde - Sober
09.(NE) The Cardigans - My Favourite Game (Highest Debut)
11.(NE) Billie Piper - Girlfriend
12.(RE) Camila Cabello - Havana
14.(RE) Justin Timberlake - Filthy
15.(RE) Liam Payne & Rita Ora - For You
16.(RE) Lorde - Homemade Dynamite (feat. SZA, Khalid, & Post Malone)
So many awesome songs - i wouldn't expect anything less. :wink: Cool seeing Carrie taking the #1 spot.

Finesse has grown on me a lot over the past week and it could break into my top 5 if it keeps up this momentum. Troye dropping to #7 is fair enough, i've seen songs drop out from #1 in 24 hours so he's holding up really well. <3 I'm kinda surprised that My favourite game is a new entry. I do like The Cardigans, i remember this getting played all the time on MTV when i was young, and it was one of those rare rock anthems that i loved even back then. The Felix the cat doll in the video, so cute. :lol:

I'm still a bit unsure about Never be the same, i just find those high pitched vocals before the chorus really shrill and admittedly i do find them slightly annoying. I've not checked out the album previews yet so it'll be interesting to see if there will be another gem like Havana on the album.
User avatar
JakeP
Manager
 
Posts: 4751
Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2013

Postby JSparksFan » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:23 am

SummerPeur wrote:07.(01) Troye Sivan - My My My! (Biggest Free Faller)

How are you feeling this song? I really like the song, but for some reason, the music video actually makes me dislike it. Usually its the complete opposite.

11.(NE) Billie Piper - Girlfriend

You're welcome ;).....if you know what I mean (Sorry Wayne :lol: )
The music video actually sold the song to me! I like how "My My My!" is full-out pop. Troye's usually given us mellow-pop or alternative-pop, so this one is much more up my alley sonically than anything he's done before. I don't know if it'll have the staying power of "Fools," but it's definitely one of his best singles already, and it seems that the GP has received it warmly. Hope you start to appreciate the song after a few spins.

I can't at leomedar giving "Girlfriend" 1/10. I thought for sure cheapthrills would have given it a high score, too. For me, it was a clear stand-out from the group. Anyway, thanks for the discovery!

JakeP wrote:Hello Akini :D

First of all OMG at this.

01.(05) Troye Sivan - My My My! (Greatest Gainer)
02.(NE) Carrie Underwood - The Champion (feat. Ludacris) (Highest Debut)

:o :o :D :D :P :P

Am i right in guessing this would be the first instance where we had the same top 2 on a Saturday?

Love both songs so much. Troye's new single just impacted hard when i first watched the music video on Thursday night. I've always adored Troye anyways but he is owning it in his music video. I watched an interview too and Troye said he was worried that his dancing would come across as daft. :( Poor guy thinking that way, i just wanted to be right there dancing by his side. :lol:

Carrie Underwood really surprised me. I never ever thought i'd hear Carrie singing an r'n'b track. Her vocals are on fire in the track, and it made me think of Mary J Blige for some reason. :P Another excellent new release.

Let's check out the most played songs of yesterday then. :D
I think it might be! How did "The Champion" get to your Top 2 so quickly? It had, what, 48 hours?

Carrie's vocals on the chorus are stunning! I wasn't ready for such a massive chorus, and Ludacris delivers as he always does in his feature appearances. I don't know if I'd class "The Champion" as R&B. Not that Carrie hasn't done R&B-leaning music before. "Sometimes You Leave" is an eclectic fusion of R&B, pop, and country that works rather well.

JakeP wrote:So many awesome songs - i wouldn't expect anything less. :wink: Cool seeing Carrie taking the #1 spot.

Finesse has grown on me a lot over the past week and it could break into my top 5 if it keeps up this momentum. Troye dropping to #7 is fair enough, i've seen songs drop out from #1 in 24 hours so he's holding up really well. <3 I'm kinda surprised that My favourite game is a new entry. I do like The Cardigans, i remember this getting played all the time on MTV when i was young, and it was one of those rare rock anthems that i loved even back then. The Felix the cat doll in the video, so cute. :lol:

I'm still a bit unsure about Never be the same, i just find those high pitched vocals before the chorus really shrill and admittedly i do find them slightly annoying. I've not checked out the album previews yet so it'll be interesting to see if there will be another gem like Havana on the album.
"The Champion" marks Carrie Underwood's 27th #1 here! She's had a long history of success on my daily chart. She's spent the sixth longest atop the chart, and has the eighth most #1 hits among all acts.

I'm a judge in this game, so if any off-the-wall songs debut here over the course of the next four to six weeks, the contestants' submissions may be why.

I thought "Never Be the Same" was off-putting, too, but it grew on me recently. The album, however, doesn't have anything in the same zip code as "Havana". She really should have kept "Crying in the Club" on the roster. As it stands, I have mixed feelings about the debut. It's not bad, but I think it could've been better. Maybe I might change my mind after a few listens, though.
Aretha Franklin was an angel. Her voice helped lift our spirits and at times gave us the soundtrack to cope with our pain.
User avatar
JSparksFan
Legend
 
Posts: 47932
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009
Location: Bahamas

Postby JSparksFan » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:31 am

Sunday's Top 20 (January 14th)

01.(NE) Kylie Minogue - Breathe (Hot Shot Debut)
02.(RE) Jordin Sparks - No Air (feat. Chris Brown) (Best Comeback)
03.(07) Troye Sivan - My My My!
04.(01) Carrie Underwood - The Champion (feat. Ludacris)
05.(19) Rob Dougan - Furious Angels (Greatest Gainer)
06.(02) Bruno Mars - Finesse (feat. Cardi B) (Biggest Free Faller)
07.(08) Lorde - Sober
08.(RE) Mariah Carey - Butterfly
09.(09) The Cardigans - My Favourite Game
10.(RE) Aaliyah - We Need a Resolution (feat. Timbaland)
11.(RE) Madonna - Deeper and Deeper
12.(RE) Sia - The Greatest (feat. Kendrick Lamar)
13.(RE) Madonna - Love Tried to Welcome Me
14.(NE) Kesha - This Is Me
15.(RE) Florence + the Machine - You've Got the Love
16.(RE) Madonna - Devil Wouldn't Recognize You
17.(RE) Lady Gaga - John Wayne
18.(RE) Lana Del Rey - 13 Beaches
19.(RE) Ed Sheeran - Don't
20.(RE) Fuel - Haemorrhage (In My Hands)
Aretha Franklin was an angel. Her voice helped lift our spirits and at times gave us the soundtrack to cope with our pain.
User avatar
JSparksFan
Legend
 
Posts: 47932
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009
Location: Bahamas

Postby JSparksFan » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:48 am

Monday's Top 20 (January 15th)

01.(RE) Portugal. The Man - Feel It Still (Best Comeback)
02.(RE) Lady Gaga - Just Dance (feat. Colby O'Donis)
03.(RE) Katy Perry - Roulette
04.(RE) Lady Gaga - Poker Face
05.(NE) Lady Gaga - Summerboy (Highest Debut)
06.(01) Kylie Minogue - Breathe
07.(02) Jordin Sparks - No Air (feat. Chris Brown)
08.(07) Lorde - Sober
09.(RE) Lady Gaga - LoveGame
10.(NE) The Box Tops - The Letter
11.(03) Troye Sivan - My My My!
12.(04) Carrie Underwood - The Champion (Biggest Free Faller)
13.(RE) Lady Gaga - Paparazzi
14.(RE) Lady Gaga - The Fame
15.(RE) The Weeknd - Can't Feel My Face
16.(RE) The Pussycat Dolls - Don't Cha (feat. Busta Rhymes)
17.(RE) Lady Gaga - Beautiful Dirty Rich
18.(RE) Lady Gaga - Money Honey
19.(RE) P!nk - Try
20.(RE) Lady Gaga - Brown Eyes
Aretha Franklin was an angel. Her voice helped lift our spirits and at times gave us the soundtrack to cope with our pain.
User avatar
JSparksFan
Legend
 
Posts: 47932
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009
Location: Bahamas

Postby Spartan » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:15 pm

So many divas on there. I’ve been listening to No Air a lot since it appeared on the retro chart and forgot what an amazing song it was.
User avatar
Spartan
Legend
 
Posts: 32427
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009

Postby JSparksFan » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:01 am

Spartan wrote:So many divas on there. I’ve been listening to No Air a lot since it appeared on the retro chart and forgot what an amazing song it was.
Keeping it oestrogen-heavy since '09. 8-)

Same here! The song brings back such great memories for me! Now that I think about it, the song's run marked the first time I ever really paid consistent attention to the official charts. It's amazing what a difference a decade makes.
Aretha Franklin was an angel. Her voice helped lift our spirits and at times gave us the soundtrack to cope with our pain.
User avatar
JSparksFan
Legend
 
Posts: 47932
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009
Location: Bahamas

Postby JSparksFan » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:09 am

Tuesday's Top 20 (January 16th)

01.(RE) Aaliyah - We Need a Resolution (feat. Timbaland) (Best Comeback)
02.(RE) Aaliyah - More Than a Woman
03.(RE) Florence + the Machine - You've Got the Love
04.(RE) Lorde - The Louvre
05.(05) Lady Gaga - Summerboy
06.(RE) Roberta Flack - Killing Me Softly with His Song
07.(RE) Eurythmics - Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This)
08.(RE) Eric Clapton - Tears in Heaven
09.(20) Lady Gaga - Brown Eyes (Greatest Gainer)
10.(RE) Lorde - Royals
11.(RE) Hilary Duff - With Love
12.(RE) Elton John - Can You Feel the Love Tonight
13.(RE) Steps - Scared of the Dark
14.(NE) Elvis Presley - All Shook Up (Highest Debut)
15.(RE) Lorde - Green Light
16.(RE) The Beatles - All You Need Is Love
17.(RE) Céline Dion - I'm Alive
18.(RE) Zayn - TIO
19.(RE) Christina Aguilera - Get Mine, Get Yours
20.(07) Jordin Sparks - No Air (feat. Chris Brown) (Biggest Free Faller)
Aretha Franklin was an angel. Her voice helped lift our spirits and at times gave us the soundtrack to cope with our pain.
User avatar
JSparksFan
Legend
 
Posts: 47932
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009
Location: Bahamas

Return to Personal Charts