Akini's Daily Top 20: #1 Rihanna, where you at?

Moderators: JSparksFan, tdc2000, FreakyFlyBry

Postby phoenix98 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:00 am

JSparksFan wrote:That's an ambitious guess of where "King of My Heart" ranks. My Reputation Top 5 looks like:

1. Getaway Car
2. Call It What You Want
3. ...Ready for It?
4. Look What You Made Me Do
5. This Is Why We Can't Have Nice Things

"King of My Heart" is probably eighth, after the ones above + "Dancing with Our Hands Tied" and "I Did Something Bad". Typing out these song titles just drives home the point that this album's focal point is a mess. :lol:
Aw :x :lol: In my defense, you did say "King Of My Heart" was "definitely one of the stand-out tracks"...but that was over a week ago, and right after you'd just heard most of these songs for the very first time, so that initial shimmer might've faded pretty fast :( Equating "stand-out" with Top 3 was probably a tad optimistic of me too. We've still got at least a couple of our top-picks in common, but mine would probably look like:

1.) "Delicate"
2.) "King Of My Heart"
3.) "Gorgeous" (I know this evokes some VERY strong disdain from many, but it speaks to the same part of me as Charli XCX's "Boys" <3)
4.) "Look What You Made Me Do" (It's tempting to flip-flop this one with "Gorgeous")
5.) "Call It What You Want"
6.) "...Ready For It?" VS "End Game" VS "Dress"

JSparksFan wrote:It's year-end-countdown season, so Taylor is competing against the wave of my favourite songs of the year, and Reputation isn't strong enough to stand up to that.
Makes sense. Hard for one of an artist's most underwhelming offerings of her entire career to compete with your favorite offerings of 2017!

JSparksFan wrote:And if the world needed a speck of justice this season, it looks like "All I Want for Christmas Is You" is coming for a Top 5/10 Hot 100 peak! 8-)
Such a "Pinch me!" moment :cry: I figured it would keep cracking the Top 50 each holiday season (unless Billboard changes its rules again), but to FINALLY earn that (MUCH-deserved) Top 10 status after 23 years is a true Christmas miracle!

JSparksFan wrote:"It's Time" is cute, but too simple, and lacks a strong message.
Aw :( General catchiness aside, the story of the song (at least as I understand it) brings to mind my experiences leaving suburban Chicago behind to attend college in Cali (and stay out here ever since!)

JSparksFan wrote:01.(RE) Mariah Carey - The Roof (Best Comeback)
02.(RE) Christina Aguilera - Fighter
03.(RE) Sam Smith - Pray
04.(RE) Charli XCX - Boys
05.(RE) Mariah Carey - Miss You Most (At Christmas Time)
06.(RE) Rita Ora - Anywhere
07.(RE) Steps - Scared of the Dark
08.(14) Imagine Dragons - On Top of the World
09.(19) Imagine Dragons - Thunder (Greatest Gainer)
10.(RE) Little Mix - Power
12.(RE) Mariah Carey - All I Want for Christmas Is You
13.(RE) Dua Lipa - New Rules
14.(RE) Imagine Dragons - Radioactive
15.(09) Camila Cabello - Havana (Biggest Free Faller)
17.(RE) Britney Spears - ...Baby One More Time
19.(RE) Michael Jackson - Thriller
20.(RE) Beyoncé - Crazy in Love (feat. Jay-Z)
• Hmmm...well, this No. 1 probably doesn't have anything to do with year-end countdown season. Or does it...?
• "Boys" = <3. Like I was saying above, although it's definitely different from Tay's "Gorgeous" in many ways, they both put me in a very similar smitten, daydream-y state of mind. Tapping into that part of Paul that's just a giddy, goofy schoolgirl/boy at the sight of a truly stunning specimen. **Sigh**
• I was pleasantly surprised by how big of a hit "Power" became in the UK! I know Little Mix have been on fire this era (well, for a while now), but I thought this particular pick might have a more polarizing effect on the public (it took a little while to grow on me after I first heard the album), especially after "No More Sad Songs" stalled outside the Top 10. I haven't paid much attention to the single versions this era, but I guess Stormzy was a much smarter selection than Machine Gun Kelly :lol: "motorbike, motorbike, motorbike, motorbike, bike, bike, bike, bike, bike, bike, bike, bike, bike, bike, WHOOP!"

Yet another chart that's through the roof, Akini! :D
phoenix98
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:35 am

Benny wrote:Great to see Rita Ora, Steps and Britney! :D
Some of my 2017 favourites vs. some of my all-time favourites. 8-)

phoenix98 wrote:Aw :x :lol: In my defense, you did say "King Of My Heart" was "definitely one of the stand-out tracks"...but that was over a week ago, and right after you'd just heard most of these songs for the very first time, so that initial shimmer might've faded pretty fast :( Equating "stand-out" with Top 3 was probably a tad optimistic of me too. We've still got at least a couple of our top-picks in common, but mine would probably look like:

1.) "Delicate"
2.) "King Of My Heart"
3.) "Gorgeous" (I know this evokes some VERY strong disdain from many, but it speaks to the same part of me as Charli XCX's "Boys" <3)
4.) "Look What You Made Me Do" (It's tempting to flip-flop this one with "Gorgeous")
5.) "Call It What You Want"
6.) "...Ready For It?" VS "End Game" VS "Dress"
I think most days I use 'stand-out track' to refer to a song I'd rate 8/10 or better.

I feel like "Dress" might have some legs with me, so great to see that in your list. It's interesting that you equate "Gorgeous" to "Boys," and I definitely agree that both have that giddy, schoolboy/schoolgirl vibe that initially underwhelmed/irritated me, but I think "Boys" has a fluffy, innocent, absent-minded kind of charm, whereas "Gorgeous" has these...callous edges that I can't get into. The "Gorgeous" melody just sounds rough to me.

phoenix98 wrote:Makes sense. Hard for one of an artist's most underwhelming offerings of her entire career to compete with your favorite offerings of 2017!
I'll be honest and admit that my perception of her as a person might also be cause for her taking a bit of a hit; she could have superseded that with a killer album, but... :(

phoenix98 wrote:Such a "pinch me!" moment :cry: I figured it would keep cracking the Top 50 each holiday season (unless Billboard changes its rules again), but to FINALLY earn that (MUCH-deserved) Top 10 status after 23 years is a true Christmas miracle!
The dreamer of me is crossing fingers that streaming really comes through and she goes all the way to #1 in the US and the UK. It's likelier that she'll achieve this in the UK (I think she's already #2 there in the mid-weeks) but I hope America can come through in this small (but totally significant) way.

phoenix98 wrote:Aw :( General catchiness aside, the story of the song (at least as I understand it) brings to mind my experiences leaving suburban Chicago behind to attend college in Cali (and stay out here ever since!)
Aw! Songs that you can associate with personal milestones >>>

phoenix98 wrote:• Hmmm...well, this No. 1 probably doesn't have anything to do with year-end countdown season. Or does it...?
No, it's not related to the year-end countdown season, just the fact that it's officially moved into place as my favourite Mariah song of all-time. Also, when the thought of what my favourite song of all-time might be, this was the first to come to mind.

phoenix98 wrote:• "Boys" = <3. Like I was saying above, although it's definitely different from Tay's "Gorgeous" in many ways, they both put me in a very similar smitten, daydream-y state of mind. Tapping into that part of Paul that's just a giddy, goofy schoolgirl/boy at the sight of a truly stunning specimen.
I kinda miss those days when I would see a cute boy and rush home to share the news (and Facebook photos, duh ;) ) with my online pals. Unfortunately, I don't have nearly as much time these days to think about cute boys. :cry:

phoenix98 wrote:• I was pleasantly surprised by how big of a hit "Power" wound up becoming in the UK! I know Little Mix have been on fire this era (well, for a while now), but I thought this particular pick might have a more polarizing effect on the public (it took a little while to grow on me after I first heard the album), especially after "No More Sad Songs" stalled outside the Top 10. Glad I was wrong, though! "motorbike, motorbike, motorbike, motorbike, bike, bike, bike, bike, bike, bike, bike, bike, bike, bike, WHOOP!"
"Power" is so good! I'll always go a long while without listening to any of their (new) music, and I either randomly stumble upon, or I'm introduced to, something new from them that's fire.
And the category is: LIVE. WORK. POSE!
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:42 am

Wednesday's Top 20 (December 13th)

01.(RE) Imagine Dragons - Whatever It Takes (Best Comeback)
02.(RE) Britney Spears - Change Your Mind (No Seas Cortes)
03.(09) Imagine Dragons - Thunder
04.(08) Imagine Dragons - On Top of the World
05.(RE) Cheryl - Fight for This Love
06.(14) Imagine Dragons - Radioactive (Greatest Gainer)
07.(10) Little Mix - Power
08.(RE) Maluma - Corazón
09.(RE) Portugal. The Man - Feel It Still
10.(RE) Kelly Clarkson - Slow Dance
11.(RE) Cheryl - Parachute
12.(RE) Auli'i Cravalho - How Far I'll Go
13.(RE) Kanye West - Power
14.(RE) Britney Spears - Just Luv Me
15.(RE) Toni Braxton - Deadwood
16.(RE) Niall Horan - Slow Hands
17.(RE) Kelly Clarkson - Breakaway
18.(RE) Childish Gambino - That Power
19.(RE) Sam Smith - Him
20.(RE) Whitney Houston - Unashamed
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:22 am

Thursday's Top 20 (December 14th)

01.(16) Niall Horan - Slow Hands (Greatest Gainer)
02.(01) Imagine Dragons - Whatever It Takes
03.(RE) Terror Jr - Heartbreaks (Best Comeback)
04.(RE) Adam Lambert - Two Fux
05.(RE) Mariah Carey - I Don't (feat. YG)
06.(RE) Taylor Swift - Delicate
07.(RE) Aretha Franklin - Respect
08.(RE) Coldplay - Fix You
09.(NE) Miley Cyrus - Thinkin' (Highest Debut)
10.(RE) Lorde - Green Light
11.(RE) Carly Rae Jepsen - Cut to the Feeling
12.(RE) Rita Ora - Anywhere
13.(RE) Childish Gambino - Redbone
14.(RE) Miley Cyrus - Malibu
15.(RE) Taylor Swift - Dress
16.(10) Kelly Clarkson - Slow Dance (Biggest Free Faller)
17.(RE) John Legend - Penthouse Floor (feat. Chance the Rapper)
18.(RE) Niall Horan - Too Much to Ask
19.(RE) Lady Gaga - Born This Way
20.(RE) Trey Songz - Animal
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JakeP » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:40 pm

Hi Akini

You sure know how to grab my attention. :lol: "fingertips putting on a show" and i'm there. :P

01.(16) Niall Horan - Slow Hands (Greatest Gainer)
02.(01) Imagine Dragons - Whatever It Takes
05.(RE) Mariah Carey - I Don't (feat. YG)
07.(RE) Aretha Franklin - Respect
08.(RE) Coldplay - Fix You
10.(RE) Lorde - Green Light
11.(RE) Carly Rae Jepsen - Cut to the Feeling
12.(RE) Rita Ora - Anywhere
14.(RE) Miley Cyrus - Malibu
18.(RE) Niall Horan - Too Much to Ask
19.(RE) Lady Gaga - Born This Way

I love seeing how your chart changes each day. It's amazing to see how much you enjoy Slow hands. I can see a number of these tracks performing well on my own 2017 countdown. ;)
JakeP
Manager

Postby JSparksFan » Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:21 am

JakeP wrote:Hi Akini
Hey, Jake! :D

JakeP wrote:You sure know how to grab my attention. :lol: "fingertips putting on a show" and i'm there. :P
Well, it's my second favourite line of the song, as I'd already exhausted my first pick the last time "Slow Hands" was #1, my hand was forced. :P

JakeP wrote:I love seeing how your chart changes each day. It's amazing to see how much you enjoy Slow hands. I can see a number of these tracks performing well on my own 2017 countdown. ;)
Yeah, some days it's a completely new list from the day before. I always find it fun to see how random many of the chart-runs are here. A song's chart-run can look like: 1-20-4-1-5-OUT-1-5-20-1-OUT and that just may be one of my favourite tracks of the year. It's just the daily tracking that makes its progression...wonky.

Good to know! :D
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:28 am

Friday's Top 20 (December 15th)

01.(NE) Wham! - Last Christmas (Hot Shot Debut)
02.(15) Taylor Swift - Dress (Greatest Gainer)
03.(RE) Cheryl - Fight for This Love (Best Comeback)
04.(06) Taylor Swift - Delicate
05.(RE) Niall Horan & Maren Morris - Seeing Blind
06.(RE) Leona Lewis - Collide
07.(RE) Lady Gaga - Bad Romance
08.(RE) Beyoncé - Crazy in Love (feat. Jay-Z)
09.(02) Imagine Dragons - Whatever It Takes (Biggest Free Faller)
10.(09) Miley Cyrus - Thinkin'
11.(RE) Madonna - I Love New York
12.(RE) Cheryl - Parachute
13.(13) Childish Gambino - Redbone
14.(RE) Clean Bandit - Symphony (feat. Zara Larsson)
15.(14) Miley Cyrus - Malibu
16.(RE) Toni Braxton - Deadwood
17.(RE) Imagine Dragons - Thunder
18.(RE) Lady Gaga - Eh, Eh (Nothing Else I Can Say)
19.(RE) Tei Shi - Keep Running
20.(RE) Alma - Chasing Highs
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:55 am

Saturday's Top 20 (December 16th)

01.(RE) Sister Sledge - Lost in Music (Best Comeback)
02.(NE) Elton John - Western Ford Gateway (Highest Debut)
03.(RE) 3OH!3 - Starstrukk (feat Katy Perry)
04.(13) Childish Gambino - Redbone (Greatest Gainer)
05.(RE) John Legend - Penthouse Floor (feat. Chance the Rapper)
06.(RE) Taylor Swift - Look What You Made Me Do
07.(RE) Sigala & Ella Eyre - Came Here for Love
08.(RE) Lana Del Rey - Love
09.(RE) Kelly Clarkson - Move You
10.(RE) 3OH!3 - Don't Trust Me
11.(RE) Sister Sledge - We Are Family
12.(RE) Gnarls Barkley - Crazy
13.(RE) Leona Lewis - Bleeding Love
14.(NE) Diggy - Do It Like You (feat. Jeremih)
15.(RE) Jordin Sparks - No Air (feat. Chris Brown)
16.(RE) The Pussycat Dolls - I Hate This Part
17.(RE) Lady Gaga - Poker Face
18.(NE) Elton John - It's Me That You Need
19.(02) Taylor Swift - Dress (Biggest Free Faller)
20.(RE) Calvin Harris - Slide (feat. Frank Ocean & Migos)
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:54 am

Sunday's Top 20 (December 17th)

01.(18) Elton John - It's Me That You Need (Greatest Gainer)
02.(RE) SZA - The Weekend (Best Comeback)
03.(RE) Mariah Carey - Sent from Up Above
04.(RE) Niall Horan - Too Much to Ask
05.(RE) Little Mix - Power
06.(01) Sister Sledge - Lost in Music
07.(RE) Calvin Harris - Feels (feat. Pharrell Williams, Katy Perry, & Big Sean)
08.(RE) Christopher Jackson, Rachel House, Nicole Scherzinger, Auli'i Cravalho & Louise Bush - Where You Are
09.(NE) Elton John - Lady Samantha (Highest Debut)
10.(RE) Rihanna - Diamonds
11.(RE) Niall Horan - Slow Hands
12.(03) 3OH!3 - Starstrukk (feat. Katy Perry) (Biggest Free Faller)
13.(RE) Sam Smith - Him
14.(RE) Beyoncé - Halo
15.(10) 3OH!3 - Don't Trust Me
16.(RE) The Supremes - You Can't Hurry Love
17.(RE) Rihanna - Take a Bow
18.(RE) Ariana Grande - Be My Baby
19.(RE) Carrie Underwood - Before He Cheats
20.(RE) Kelly Clarkson - Slow Dance
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby SummerPeur » Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:03 am

09.(NE) Elton John - Lady Samantha (Highest Debut)

Yesssss! LOVE!

Digging this RE as well :D. Definitely one of her hidden gems.
Yeah, I Bloom
I, Bloom Just For You
I Bloom, Just For Youuuuu
SummerPeur
Superstar

Postby Mainshow » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:55 pm

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEES! So nice to see Niall & Sam re-entering your charts! All songs by them you have chosen to appear on your chart are brilliant!

I also love "Halo", ;)
#JUSTICE4ALEKSEEV
Mainshow
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:15 am

SummerPeur wrote:09.(NE) Elton John - Lady Samantha (Highest Debut)

Yesssss! LOVE!

Digging this RE as well :D. Definitely one of her hidden gems.
Ah, I didn't expect anyone to give the old Elton John tracks a shout-out. Glad you appreciate that one! :D

"Be My Baby" is definitely among Ariana's Top 5 songs to date.

Mainshow wrote:YEEEEEEEEEEEEEES! So nice to see Niall & Sam re-entering your charts! All songs by them you have chosen to appear on your chart are brilliant!

I also love "Halo", ;)
Glad you like the Niall/Sam songs. My mom is also a big "Halo" fan actually.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:22 am

Monday's Top 20 (December 18th)

01.(RE) Christina Aguilera - Your Body (Best Comeback)
02.(01) Elton John - It's Me That You Need
03.(RE) Mariah Carey - All I Want for Christmas Is You
04.(RE) Whitney Houston - My Love Is Your Love
05.(06) Sister Sledge - Lost in Music (Greatest Gainer)
06.(RE) Whitney Houston - The Greatest Love of All
07.(RE) Carly Rae Jepsen - Run Away with Me
08.(03) Mariah Carey - Sent from Up Above
09.(RE) Toni Braxton - Deadwood
10.(RE) Jennifer Hudson - Spotlight
11.(RE) Britney Spears - Oops!...I Did It Again
12.(RE) Madonna - La Isla Bonita
13.(RE) Whitney Houston - Call You Tonight
14.(RE) Rihanna - Don't Stop the Music
15.(RE) Beyoncé - All I Could Do Was Cry
16.(RE) Mariah Carey - Melt Away
17.(RE) Kelly Clarkson - You Can't Win
18.(RE) Cheryl - Fight for This Love
19.(09) Elton John - Lady Samantha (Biggest Free Faller)
20.(RE) Bruno Mars - The Lazy Song
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:30 am

JSparksFan wrote:I feel like "Dress" might have some legs with me, so great to see that in your list. It's interesting that you equate "Gorgeous" to "Boys," and I definitely agree that both have that giddy, schoolboy/schoolgirl vibe that initially underwhelmed/irritated me, but I think "Boys" has a fluffy, innocent, absent-minded kind of charm, whereas "Gorgeous" has these...callous edges that I can't get into. The "Gorgeous" melody just sounds rough to me.
Ever so clever!

Re: "Gorgeous" VS "Boys", at first I thought you were reaching just to shade Taylor/reputation some more...but I think I've come to see what you mean. I'm still hooked on the chorus, but a lot of the song is comprised of her whining (albeit playfully) about what this guy's done to her (an unfortunately recurring theme throughout the album. She's not responsible to getting caught in her own web of lies, this was all done TO her.) I still get swept up in the smitteness-factor of "Gorgeous", but the way that she describes reacting to/handling the fact that these feelings have emerged is pretty...bratty? Again, even if it's all tongue-in-cheek, there's still an obnoxious, off-putting factor to seome of her attitude in the song.

JSparksFan wrote:The dreamer of me is crossing fingers that streaming really comes through and she goes all the way to #1 in the US and the UK. It's likelier that she'll achieve this in the UK (I think she's already #2 there in the mid-weeks) but I hope America can come through in this small (but totally significant) way.
AIWFCIY being a global Christmas No. 1 would be all-too-appropriate, but I'm still pretty thrilled that it can finally claim a No. 9 Hot 100 peak now! After SO many years of being held down by a variety of annoying (and ever-changing) technicalities (it can't chart because there's no physical single, it can't re-enter because it's a holiday song even though it's the No. 1-selling download in the country, etc), I'll take this. It's not true, total justice for such an iconic track, but it's still a pleasant (and LONG overdue) surprise! :D

JSparksFan wrote:I kinda miss those days when I would see a cute boy and rush home to share the news (and Facebook photos, duh ;) ) with my online pals. Unfortunately, I don't have nearly as much time these days to think about cute boys. :cry:
:o It breaks my heart to hear that life (I'm assuming work?) has robbed you of the freedom to occasionally drift off into d*ck-filled daydreams. I'm all for you having a healthy sense of adult priorities, but I hope you can still find a way to hold onto a sense of youthful frisky flirtatious fun. <3

JSparksFan wrote:01.(RE) Christina Aguilera - Your Body (Best Comeback)
03.(RE) Mariah Carey - All I Want for Christmas Is You
04.(RE) Whitney Houston - My Love Is Your Love
06.(RE) Whitney Houston - The Greatest Love of All
07.(RE) Carly Rae Jepsen - Run Away with Me
08.(03) Mariah Carey - Sent from Up Above
11.(RE) Britney Spears - Oops!...I Did It Again
12.(RE) Madonna - La Isla Bonita
13.(RE) Whitney Houston - Call You Tonight
14.(RE) Rihanna - Don't Stop the Music
16.(RE) Mariah Carey - Melt Away
17.(RE) Kelly Clarkson - You Can't Win
18.(RE) Cheryl - Fight for This Love
20.(RE) Bruno Mars - The Lazy Song
• Speaking of frisky flirtatious fun, your latest No. 1 certainly fits the bill! Xtina helping you tap into the d*ck-driven beast that life/work has attempted to smother...
• When I first picked up Stronger and heard "You Can't Win", I was a little jarred by the gay line. On one hand, I appreciated the shout-out, but I didn't totally get what she was trying to say. That there's too much pressure on us to be out-n-proud-n-loud, I guess? I'm still not entirely sure how I feel about that particular line, but the song still managed to grow into one of my favorites from that album anyway! Specific word choices/phrasing aside, I'm absolutely on-board with the spirit of the track, and the frustration/aggravation/exhaustion that she's tapping into.

Yet another chart that's a perfect specimen, Akini! :D
phoenix98
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:19 pm

phoenix98 wrote:AIWFCIY being a global Christmas No. 1 would be all-too-appropriate, but I'm still pretty thrilled that it can finally claim a No. 9 Hot 100 peak now! After SO many years of being held down by a variety of annoying (and ever-changing) technicalities (it can't chart because there's no physical single, it can't re-enter because it's a holiday song even though it's the No. 1-selling download in the country, etc), I'll take this. It's not true, total justice for such an iconic track, but it's still a pleasant (and LONG overdue) surprise! :D
Preach!

phoenix98 wrote: :o It breaks my heart to hear that life (I'm assuming work?) has robbed you of the freedom to occasionally drift off into d*ck-filled daydreams. I'm all for you having a healthy sense of adult priorities, but I hope you can still find a way to hold onto a sense of youthful frisky flirtatious fun. <3
Yeah, work. I have some fun summer plans that I'm hoping make up for this stressful period I'm in, so I suspect then I'll be more interested in exploring some more...enjoyable avenues.

phoenix98 wrote:• Speaking of frisky flirtatious fun, your latest No. 1 certainly fits the bill! Xtina helping you tap into the d*ck-driven beast that life/work has attempted to smother...
Perhaps it's my subconscious telling me I need to strike a healthier balance in my life. :lol: As for the song, though, it's aged really well!

phoenix98 wrote:• When I first picked up Stronger and heard "You Can't Win", I was a little jarred by the gay line. On one hand, I appreciated the shout-out, but I didn't totally get what she was trying to say. That there's too much pressure on us to be out-n-proud-n-loud, I guess? I'm still not entirely sure how I feel about that particular line, but the song still managed to grow into one of my favorites from that album anyway! Specific word choices/phrasing aside, I'm absolutely on-board with the spirit of the track, and the frustration/aggravation/exhaustion that she's tapping into.
I notice you have issues with female pop stars and their gay lines. (I'm being taken back to our "Veni Vidi Vici" debate).

My interpretation is pretty similar to your hypothesis that I bolded - if you're gay, why aren't you making your sexuality the foremost element of your life? I totally agree about the spirit of the track, though. So relatable sometimes!
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:17 am

Wednesday's Top 20 (December 20th)

01.(RE) Kelly Clarkson - Slow Dance (Best Comeback)
02.(RE) Lorde - Green Light
03.(RE) 3OH!3 - Starstrukk (feat. Katy Perry)
04.(NE) Sia - Everyday Is Christmas (Highest Debut)
05.(09) Toni Braxton - Deadwood
06.(RE) Taylor Swift - ...Ready for It?
07.(RE) Cardi B - Bodak Yellow
08.(RE) Coldplay - Adventure of a Lifetime
09.(RE) Leona Lewis - Bleeding Love
11.(01) Christina Aguilera - Your Body
12.(RE) Niall Horan - Slow Hands
13.(RE) Katy Perry - Chained to the Rhythm (feat. Skip Marley)
14.(RE) Steps - Scared of the Dark
15.(RE) Shania Twain - It's Alright
16.(RE) Destra Garcia - Destra vs. Lucy
17.(RE) Ed Sheeran - Castle on the Hill
18.(RE) Shania Twain - Poor Me
19.(RE) Diana Ross - Theme from Mahogany (Do You Know Where You're Going To)
20.(02) Elton John - It's Me That You Need (Biggest Free Faller)
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:30 am

JSparksFan wrote:Yeah, work. I have some fun summer plans that I'm hoping make up for this stressful period I'm in, so I suspect then I'll be more interested in exploring some more...enjoyable avenues.
Do tell! :D

JSparksFan wrote:Perhaps it's my subconscious telling me I need to strike a healthier balance in my life. :lol: As for the song, though, it's aged really well!
I honestly never gave it much of a chance during its original run :oops: so I just added it to my library today, and it's some satisfying saucy stuff! My memory of this is pretty fuzzy, but was there ever an official version released with "f**k your body" instead of "love", or was that just a leaked demo...?

JSparksFan wrote:I notice you have issues with female pop stars and their gay lines. (I'm being taken back to our "Veni Vidi Vici" debate).

My interpretation is pretty similar to your hypothesis that I bolded - if you're gay, why aren't you making your sexuality the foremost element of your life? I totally agree about the spirit of the track, though. So relatable sometimes!
I'd legitimately forgotten about my "Veni Vidi Vici" rant :lol: I definitely don't want to come across as some snobby troll who's overly-eager to crucify people over the slightest "offense"...but I guess I am especially sensitive/critical when it comes to depictions of our community (especially by individuals who don't identify as members themselves, and when they've obviously had time to think about the words they want to use before submitting a final version of these tracks. It's easier to overlook/dismiss some word fumbling during a heated or distracted moment.) I don't want to set an impossibly high standard for allies, but if they're going to name-drop us in their work, I just hope they'd use particular caution and care.

JSparksFan wrote:01.(RE) Kelly Clarkson - Slow Dance (Best Comeback)
02.(RE) Lorde - Green Light
03.(RE) 3OH!3 - Starstrukk (feat. Katy Perry)
06.(RE) Taylor Swift - ...Ready for It?
07.(RE) Cardi B - Bodak Yellow
09.(RE) Leona Lewis - Bleeding Love
11.(01) Christina Aguilera - Your Body
12.(RE) Niall Horan - Slow Hands
13.(RE) Katy Perry - Chained to the Rhythm (feat. Skip Marley)
14.(RE) Steps - Scared of the Dark
17.(RE) Ed Sheeran - Castle on the Hill
19.(RE) Diana Ross - Theme from Mahogany (Do You Know Where You're Going To)
• This chart alone features quite a few females whose (official chart) under-performance in 2017 hurt my heart :( Kelly, Lorde, Katy...even Taylor (LWYMMD dropped like a rock after that massive start, and none of the rushed follow-ups look like they'll become a "You Belong With Me"/"I Knew You Were Trouble."/"Blank Space.")
• Damn, 3OH!3 are a VERY random (but amusing) throwback! Any thoughts on "My First Kiss"? (Or does its omission here tell me all I need to know...?)

Yet another chart that moves at just the right pace, Akini! :D
phoenix98
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:00 am

phoenix98 wrote:Do tell! :D
My plans involve travelling to the most sane country in North America...then to the most insane country on that continent (which, paradoxically, is home to the greatest city on the planet). :lol:

phoenix98 wrote:I honestly never gave it much of a chance during its original run :oops: so I just added it to my library today, and it's some satisfying saucy stuff! My memory of this is pretty fuzzy, but was there ever an official version released with "f**k your body" instead of "love", or was that just a leaked demo...?
Yeah, I think the f**k your body one was a legit version released.

phoenix98 wrote:I'd legitimately forgotten about my "Veni Vidi Vici" rant :lol: I definitely don't want to come across as some snobby troll who's overly-eager to crucify people over the slightest "offense"...but I guess I am especially sensitive/critical when it comes to depictions of our community (especially by individuals who don't identify as members themselves, and when they've obviously had time to think about the words they want to use before submitting a final version of these tracks. It's easier to overlook/dismiss some word fumbling during a heated or distracted moment.) I don't want to set an impossibly high standard for allies, but if they're going to name-drop us in their work, I just hope they'd use particular caution and care.
Trust me, I completely understand. I think sometimes the LGBT+ community is so quick to embrace heterosexual celeb allies that the bar is set desperately (and pathetically) low. The pass Nick Jonas gets is a good example.

Also, speaking of issues in the gay community, how do you feel about heterosexual actors playing gay roles, when gay actors are routinely snubbed for big heterosexual roles (i.e. Matt Bomer for Fifty Shades)?

phoenix98 wrote:• This chart alone features quite a few females whose (official chart) under-performance in 2017 hurt my heart :( Kelly, Lorde, Katy...even Taylor (LWYMMD dropped like a rock after that massive start, and none of the rushed follow-ups look like they'll become a "You Belong With Me"/"I Knew You Were Trouble."/"Blank Space.")
Well, other than Taylor, the mentioned girls' underperformance was annoying for me, too. Lorde's, especially, blindsided me. It sounded like a chart-topper the first time I heard it (and it still does).

phoenix98 wrote:• Damn, 3OH!3 are a VERY random (but amusing) throwback! Any thoughts on "My First Kiss"? (Or does its omission here tell me all I need to know...?)
I liked "My First Kiss," as well as "Touchin' on My," but neither has aged well.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:07 am

Thursday's Top 20 (December 21st)

01.(08) Coldplay - Adventure of a Lifetime (Greatest Gainer)
02.(NE) Cher - Just Like Jessie James (Highest Debut)
03.(RE) Sinead O'Connor - Nothing Compares 2 U (Best Comeback)
04.(RE) Reba McEntire - Fancy
05.(RE) B.o.B - Magic (feat. Rivers Cuomo)
06.(07) Cardi B - Bodak Yellow
07.(RE) B.o.B - Airplanes (feat. Hayley Williams)
08.(RE) G-Eazy - No Limit (feat. A$AP Rocky, Cardi B, French Montana, Juicy J, & Belly)
09.(RE) Zay Hilfigerrr & Zayion McCall – Juju on That Beat (TZ Anthem)
10.(05) Toni Braxton - Deadwood (Biggest Free Faller)
11.(RE) DJ Khaled - Wild Thoughts (feat. Rihanna & Bryson Tiller)
12.(RE) Dua Lipa - New Rules
13.(RE) Miley Cyrus - Malibu
14.(RE) Carrie Underwood - Church Bells
15.(RE) Bee Gees - How Deep Is Your Love
16.(RE) Madonna - Like a Virgin
17.(RE) Rihanna - Man Down
18.(RE) Barbra Streisand - My Heart Belongs to Me
19.(RE) Ace of Base - The Sign
20.(RE) Mariah Carey - Fantasy
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:30 am

JSparksFan wrote:My plans involve travelling to the most sane country in North America...then to the most insane country on that continent (which, paradoxically, is home to the greatest city on the planet). :lol:
:lol: Ha, so...from somewhere in Canada to New York City? Or will be you venturing elsewhere in this crazy country?

JSparksFan wrote:Yeah, I think the f**k your body one was a legit version released.
Hmmm...I'll have to see if I can hunt that down. The "love" version is perfectly enjoyable, of course, but it feels a little...incomplete/lacking now that I know there's a raw/true/unfiltered version out there somewhere. I also think, in this particular case, a little extra vulgarity does help to drive home the message/tone of the song even better...

JSparksFan wrote:Trust me, I completely understand. I think sometimes the LGBT+ community is so quick to embrace heterosexual celeb allies that the bar is set desperately (and pathetically) low. The pass Nick Jonas gets is a good example.

Also, speaking of issues in the gay community, how do you feel about heterosexual actors playing gay roles, when gay actors are routinely snubbed for big heterosexual roles (i.e. Matt Bomer for Fifty Shades)?
Aw, you had me applauding so hard...until the Nick Jonas shade :lol: I think I get what you mean though, in that he's afforded quite a lot of respect/recognition from the community just for being really hot and not overtly-homophobic. I think the most he's done in terms of "advocacy" is saying something along the lines of "I love my gay fans" and performing at gay venues once or twice? Granted, just being willing to perform at gay venues is more than a lot of major names have done...but still, a far cry from the actual legislative activism that we've seen from Gaga and others.

**Sigh** Sometimes Hollywood does seem hellbent on suppressing diversity and handing as many roles as possible to straight white actors - even when the characters are specifically designed as members of minority groups (like the Scarlett Johansson in Ghost in the Shell controversy.) I don't know if I should be more upset with the directors/casting department for propagating this problem and not giving minority talent a chance, or with the public who are simply more willing to pay for movies filled with familiar straight white faces. SMH. The current double-standard is just too damn ridiculous: openly gay actors OBVIOUSLY can't convincingly portray straight characters, but OF COURSE straight actors will continue to be our first choice for any gay roles!

JSparksFan wrote:Well, other than Taylor, the mentioned girls' underperformance was annoying for me, too. Lorde's, especially, blindsided me. It sounded like a chart-topper the first time I heard it (and it still does).
Ugh, YES :( I imagine the gap between albums is at least partially to blame (especially between the crucial first/breakthrough album and its follow-up) in Lorde's situation, but it's always so frustrating when people are so willing to embrace an artist one minute, then abruptly completely pay them dust. She did change her sound a bit, but she did that poppier transition pretty smoothly (without sacrificing her signature writing brilliance.)

JSparksFan wrote:02.(NE) Cher - Just Like Jessie James (Highest Debut)
03.(RE) Sinead O'Connor - Nothing Compares 2 U (Best Comeback)
05.(RE) B.o.B - Magic (feat. Rivers Cuomo)
06.(07) Cardi B - Bodak Yellow
07.(RE) B.o.B - Airplanes (feat. Hayley Williams)
11.(RE) DJ Khaled - Wild Thoughts (feat. Rihanna & Bryson Tiller)
12.(RE) Dua Lipa - New Rules
13.(RE) Miley Cyrus - Malibu
14.(RE) Carrie Underwood - Church Bells
15.(RE) Bee Gees - How Deep Is Your Love
16.(RE) Madonna - Like a Virgin
17.(RE) Rihanna - Man Down
19.(RE) Ace of Base - The Sign
20.(RE) Mariah Carey - Fantasy
• I definitely enjoyed both of those B.o.B bops back in the day, but it seems that all I've read about him in recent years pertains to his belief that the earth is flat. On one hand, there's something to appreciate about people questioning "conventional knowledge"/widespread beliefs...but less so when that disbelief is directed at incontrovertible scientific facts that have been demonstrated by many people in many ways for many many years. That aside, I often forget how his "Nothin' On You" was actually our very first taste of Bruno!
• "New Rules" and "Malibu" are both among my most-played-moments of 2017, so it's great to see both re-appearing here as the year winds down!
• Speaking of advocacy from above, given your voracious campaigning on behalf of "Bodak Yellow", I'm especially curious to hear your thoughts on "Bartier Cardi."

Yet another chart that gives me life, Akini! :D
phoenix98
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:54 am

phoenix98 wrote: :lol: Ha, so...from somewhere in Canada to New York City? Or will be you venturing elsewhere in this crazy country?
Correct! :wink:

phoenix98 wrote:Hmmm...I'll have to see if I can hunt that down. The "love" version is perfectly enjoyable, of course, but it feels a little...incomplete/lacking now that I know there's a raw/true/unfiltered version out there somewhere. I also think, in this particular case, a little extra vulgarity does help to drive home the message/tone of the song even better...
No need to. 8-)

phoenix98 wrote:Aw, you had me applauding so hard...until the Nick Jonas shade :lol: I think I get what you mean though, in that he's afforded quite a lot of respect/recognition from the community just for being really hot and not overtly-homophobic. I think the most he's done in terms of "advocacy" is saying something along the lines of "I love my gay fans" and performing at gay venues once or twice? Granted, just being willing to perform at gay venues is more than a lot of major names have done...but still, a far cry from the actual legislative activism that we've seen from Gaga and others.
And looking terrified as phuck as if the audience is going to collectively attack and sexually assault him. :roll:

Gaga is a pretty high standard to hold pop stars to, but even acts like Beyoncé and Britney will have LGBT+ back-up dancers, support staff, etc. I don't think it's enough to use the community as PR for you being a 'tolerant, open-minded' act now that it's cool to support the LGBT+ movement. As someone in the business realm, I suppose I'm suppose to understand that at the end of the day the industry is just that - a business - and if you want to maximise profits, you're not going to do anything to jeopardise alienating your core audience, but at some point you just have to decide enough is enough and use your platform for something more meaningful. To that end, Gaga was the gold standard for a celeb ally.

phoenix98 wrote:**Sigh** Sometimes Hollywood does seem hellbent on suppressing diversity and handing as many roles as possible to straight white actors - even when the characters are specifically designed as members of minority groups (like the Scarlett Johansson in Ghost in the Shell controversy.) I don't know if I should be more upset with the directors/casting department for propagating this problem and not giving minority talent a chance, or with the public who are simply more willing to pay for movies filled with familiar straight white faces. SMH. The current double-standard is just too damn ridiculous: openly gay actors OBVIOUSLY can't convincingly portray straight characters, but OF COURSE straight actors will continue to be our first choice for any gay roles!
Two of the most critically acclaimed films of the last 15 months - Moonlight and Call Me by Your Name - are gay films with heterosexual leads. I must admit that Trevante Rhodes (Moonlight) and Timothée Chalamet (Call Me by Your Name) delivered powerful, convincing roles completely deserving of all the accolades the actors and films received (in the case of Moonlight) and are projected to receive in the upcoming awards season (Call Me by Your Name). Their careers will be bolstered by the critical success of their roles, which is well-deserved, but I can't help but look at it as lost opportunities for equally capable gay actors.

As a black man, I know I would have a moment if I were an actor as the lead choice to play, say 2Pac, in a biopic and Logic was cast instead of me. I think it's the same with LGBT+ roles.

I will admit that I spent a great deal of free time grappling with the realities of this world in which we are subjected to exist, and it is wholly depressing. Then I listen to MC and let her shower my soul in glitter.

phoenix98 wrote:Ugh, YES :( I imagine the gap between albums is at least partially to blame (especially between the crucial first/breakthrough album and its follow-up) in Lorde's situation, but it's always so frustrating when people are so willing to embrace an artist one minute, then abruptly completely pay them dust. She did change her sound a bit, but she did that poppier transition pretty smoothly (without sacrificing her signature writing brilliance.)
My thoughts EXACTLY. I've been over the GP's taste in music for a good five years now.

phoenix98 wrote:• I definitely enjoyed both of those B.o.B bops back in the day, but it seems that all I've read about him in recent years pertains to his belief that the earth is flat. On one hand, there's something to appreciate about people questioning "conventional knowledge"/widespread beliefs...but less so when that disbelief is directed at incontrovertible scientific facts that have been demonstrated by many people in many ways for many many years. That aside, I often forget how his "Nothin' On You" was actually our very first taste of Bruno!
Oh, really? I'm more familiar with him for starting/popularising the eggplant trend on Twitter and Instagram.

phoenix98 wrote:• "New Rules" and "Malibu" are both among my most-played-moments of 2017, so it's great to see both re-appearing here as the year winds down!
Glad to hear it! They're among my most played as well!

phoenix98 wrote:• Speaking of advocacy from above, given your voracious campaigning on behalf of "Bodak Yellow", I'm especially curious to hear your thoughts on "Bartier Cardi."
It's good! I always love Cardi B's attitude on her songs. I think she is very authentic in her lyrics, and that's refreshing. For the first day, though, I can say I definitely like it more than I did "Bodak Yellow" its first 24 hours out, but I don't think "Bartier Cardi" will stick with me as long as "Bodak Yellow" did.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:12 am

Friday's Top 20 (December 22nd)

01.(RE) Whitney Houston - Do You Hear What I Hear? (Best Comeback)
02.(RE) Sia - Everyday Is Christmas
03.(03) Sinéad O'Connor - Nothing Compares 2 U
04.(NE) Cardi B - Bartier Cardi (feat. 21 Savage) (Highest Debut)
05.(RE) Lady Gaga - Bad Romance
06.(RE) Wham! - Last Christmas
07.(RE) Mariah Carey - Faded
08.(RE) Lorde - Green Light
09.(RE) Mariah Carey - All I Want for Christmas Is You
10.(RE) Whitney Houston - Exhale (Shoop Shoop)
11.(02) Cher - Just Like Jesse James (Biggest Free Faller)
12.(NE) Daya - Sit Still, Look Pretty
13.(RE) Mariah Carey - O Holy Night
14.(RE) Melissa Etheridge - Come to My Window
15.(RE) Delta Goodrem - I'm Not Giving Up
16.(RE) Emeli Sandé - Next to Me
17.(RE) Leona Lewis - Bleeding Love
18.(RE) Mariah Carey - Oh Santa!
19.(RE) P!nk - Try
20.(RE) Elton John - It's Me That You Need
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:24 am

Saturday's Top 20 (December 23rd)

01.(01) Whitney Houston - Do You Hear What I Hear?
02.(RE) Imagine Dragons - Whatever It Takes (Best Comeback)
03.(NE) Paloma Faith - The Architect (Highest Debut)
04.(RE) Camila Cabello - Crying in the Club
05.(04) Cardi B - Bartier Cardi (feat. 21 Savage) (Biggest Free Faller)
06.(RE) Taylor Swift - Call It What You Want
07.(RE) Luis Fonsi & Daddy Yankee - Despacito (feat. Justin Bieber)
08.(RE) Prince - Purple Rain
09.(RE) Hurts - Beautiful Ones
10.(RE) Kelly Clarkson - Love So Soft
11.(RE) Harry Styles - Sign of the Times
12.(RE) Lady Gaga - The Cure
13.(RE) Portugal. The Man - Feel It Still
14.(RE) Cardi B - Bodak Yellow
15.(RE) Whitney Houston - I Bow Out
16.(RE) Britney Spears - My Only Wish (This Year)
17.(RE) G-Eazy - No Limit (feat. A$AP Rocky, Cardi B, French Montana, Juicy J, & Belly)
18.(RE) Ariana Grande - Moonlight
19.(RE) LP - Lost on You
20.(RE) Clean Bandit - Symphony (feat. Zara Larsson)
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby SummerPeur » Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:42 am

01.(01) Whitney Houston - Do You Hear What I Hear?

Nice to see a WH song hold on at #1. Really love that song as well.
Good RE for Whatever It Takes as well 8-). What is your favorite song from Imagine Dragons?

Interesting to see Hurts come back, especially with beautiful ones. Is this one of your favorite song of theirs?
Yeah, I Bloom
I, Bloom Just For You
I Bloom, Just For Youuuuu
SummerPeur
Superstar

Postby JSparksFan » Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:27 am

SummerPeur wrote:01.(01) Whitney Houston - Do You Hear What I Hear?

Nice to see a WH song hold on at #1. Really love that song as well.
Good RE for Whatever It Takes as well 8-). What is your favorite song from Imagine Dragons?

Interesting to see Hurts come back, especially with beautiful ones. Is this one of your favorite song of theirs?
Yeah, I was just reminded of how immensely powerful her "Do You Hear What I Hear?" cover was recently. Whitney was such a special talent.

For a long time, it was "Demons," but "Whatever It Takes" is really giving "Demons" a run for its money. For now, it's "Demons," but I could see "Whatever It Takes" taking that honour soon.

"Beautiful Ones" is actually my second favourite Hurts song, after "Wonderful Life".
JSparksFan
Legend

Return to Personal Charts