Akini's Daily Top 20: #1 Caught in a trap...

Moderators: tdc2000, FreakyFlyBry

Postby JSparksFan » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:58 am

Wednesday's Top 20 (October 4th)

01.(RE) Camila Cabello - Havana (Best Comeback)
02.(RE) Madonna - Love Tried to Welcome Me
03.(01) Shania Twain - It's Alright
04.(RE) Whitney Houston - Call You Tonight
05.(03) Shania Twain - Poor Me
06.(RE) Miranda Lambert - Mama's Broken Heart
07.(04) Reba McEntire - Fancy
08.(RE) David Bowie - Let's Dance
09.(RE) Whitney Houston - Million Dollar Bill
10.(RE) Carrie Underwood - Church Bells
11.(RE) Camila Cabello - Crying in the Club
12.(RE) Whitney Houston - I Didn't Know My Own Strength
13.(05) Lindsey Stirling - Crystallize (Biggest Free Faller)
14.(RE) Shakira - Hips Don't Lie (feat. Wyclef Jean)
15.(RE) Timbaland - The Way I Are (feat. Keri Hilson)
16.(RE) Bee Gees - How Deep Is Your Love
17.(RE) Girls Aloud - Girl Overboard
18.(RE) Whitney Houston - I Look to You
19.(RE) Elvis Presley - Suspicious Minds
20.(RE) Madonna - Living for Love
"You think your pain and your heartbreak are unprecedented in the history of the world, but then you read." - James Baldwin
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:06 pm

Yeah, I was refering to "Crying In The Club" :D I kinda like the track as well but it's not really "authentic Camila". I seriously prefer "Havana" to it and I am glad to see it being your current #1. Nice to see Whitney as well! A shame she had to leave this world so soon :( Her voice is truly deeply missed.

"The Way I Are", "Hips Don't Lie" :D But now it's JakeP who's having an impact on your chart :D
#TeamTargaryen
Mainshow
Legend

Postby JakeP » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:45 pm

JSparksFan wrote:Saturday's Top 20 (September 30th)

06.(NE) Blu Cantrell - Breathe (feat. Sean Paul)
09.(RE) The Weather Girls - It's Raining Men
JSparksFan wrote:Wednesday's Top 20 (October 4th)

14.(RE) Shakira - Hips Don't Lie (feat. Wyclef Jean)
15.(RE) Timbaland - The Way I Are (feat. Keri Hilson)
That JakeP Top 100 impact. :lol: (yes, i'm claiming The Weather Girls as well :lol: )

01.(RE) Camila Cabello - Havana (Best Comeback)

Astonishing success for Havana. Looking set for top 3 in the UK tomorrow which is an amazing result. I'm intrigued in seeing how well this can do in the coming weeks but i don't think it'll be #1 because of Post Malone.

Best of the rest:

05.(03) Shania Twain - Poor Me
08.(RE) David Bowie - Let's Dance
09.(RE) Whitney Houston - Million Dollar Bill
10.(RE) Carrie Underwood - Church Bells
11.(RE) Camila Cabello - Crying in the Club
12.(RE) Whitney Houston - I Didn't Know My Own Strength
13.(05) Lindsey Stirling - Crystallize (Biggest Free Faller)
16.(RE) Bee Gees - How Deep Is Your Love
17.(RE) Girls Aloud - Girl Overboard
18.(RE) Whitney Houston - I Look to You
19.(RE) Elvis Presley - Suspicious Minds
20.(RE) Madonna - Living for Love[/quote]

Will be interesting to see if any more UK #1s from my top 100 make an appearance. Many of them have already appeared in your daily chart at some point. :wink:
JakeP
Manager

Postby JSparksFan » Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:38 am

Mainshow wrote:Yeah, I was refering to "Crying In The Club" :D I kinda like the track as well but it's not really "authentic Camila". I seriously prefer "Havana" to it and I am glad to see it being your current #1. Nice to see Whitney as well! A shame she had to leave this world so soon :( Her voice is truly deeply missed.

"The Way I Are", "Hips Don't Lie" :D But now it's JakeP who's having an impact on your chart :D
For me, she sounds just as home on "Crying in the Club" as she does on "Havana," but I guess this is another one of those instances where we agree to disagree.

Her voice, her spirit, her smile, her essence - all that she ever was is painfully missed.

JakeP wrote:That JakeP Top 100 impact. :lol: (yes, i'm claiming The Weather Girls as well :lol: )
As you should. :lol:

JakeP wrote:Astonishing success for Havana. Looking set for top 3 in the UK tomorrow which is an amazing result. I'm intrigued in seeing how well this can do in the coming weeks but i don't think it'll be #1 because of Post Malone.
I'm happy it's taking off. It's looking like it'll become the hit that "Crying in the Club" deserved to be.

JakeP wrote:Will be interesting to see if any more UK #1s from my top 100 make an appearance. Many of them have already appeared in your daily chart at some point. :wink:
Our music tastes are too similar for more songs not to make an appearance...or reappearance, as you're now hinting. 8-)
"You think your pain and your heartbreak are unprecedented in the history of the world, but then you read." - James Baldwin
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:44 am

Thursday's Top 20 (October 5th)

01.(01) Camila Cabello - Havana
02.(RE) Childish Gambino - Redbone (Best Comeback)
03.(NE) Demi Lovato - Sorry Not Sorry (Highest Debut)
04.(RE) Rihanna - S&M
05.(18) Whitney Houston - I Look to You (Greatest Gainer)
06.(RE) David Guetta - What I Did for Love (feat. Emeli Sandé)
07.(NE) Tank - Savage
08.(RE) Delta Goodrem - Wings
09.(03) Shania Twain - I'm Alright
10.(RE) Adele - River Lea
11.(11) Camila Cabello - Crying in the Club
12.(05) Shania Twain - Poor Me
13.(RE) LP - Lost on You
14.(RE) Shania Twain - Up!
15.(09) Whitney Houston - Million Dollar Bill
16.(RE) J. Balvin & Willy William - Mi Gente (feat. Beyoncé)
17.(RE) Kylie Minogue - Aphrodite
18.(RE) Kacey Musgraves - Cup of Tea
19.(NE) Tank - When We
20.(04) Whitney Houston - Call You Tonight (Biggest Free Faller)
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:45 pm

JSparksFan wrote:Yeah, I will admit that I thought that part would have been more...climactic, but the song's still a winner in my book.
Ah, sorry! I didn't explain myself very clearly there. I meant to say that that's the part of the song where she comes the closest to really hooking me/almost sells me on the track...but it still wasn't quite enough, and I haven't spun the song once since 9/17. :oops:

JSparksFan wrote:After "S&M," it felt like she wasn't really pushing the songs the way she and the label could have. Take "Man Down" for instance - great song, powerful video, a 'different' sound for mainstream radio at the time. I really feel like it could've been a US Top 10 hit if it were handled better.
Yeah, her single campaigns did get pretty messy after "S&M" (a trend that's persisted in every subsequent era, really. She gives us 2-3 singles with a full, proper push, and then a bunch of scattered releases to certain radio formats, or digital-only, or video-less, etc.) If memory serves, "California King Bed" was her US pop-radio single while "Man Down" served as her simultaneous urban-radio release (and CKB was the only one that she really pushed outside the States.) In the end, that approach just hampered both songs here in the US (and kept MD from achieving its due glory overseas.) :(

JSparksFan wrote:(1) Drunk on Love: 9.5/10
(2) Where Have You Been: 9.2/10
(3) Farewell: 8.9/10
(4) Roc Me Out: 8.7/10
(5) Fool in Love: 8.7/10

"We Found Love" just missed out with 8.6/10.
Although it came close, I'm still surprised to see WFL miss the cut :o Has it always had that standing with you, or has the rest of TTT just grown on you that much over the years? DOL has always been a big fan fave that never resonated with me quite as strongly (much like "Man Down", actually.) Looking at your archives, WFL did only manage a mere 3 days at No. 1...

JSparksFan wrote:Well, the "Right Now" production does sound a bit cheap, whereas the "Jump" production has so much sexually charged excitement. Plus there are quite a few Rihanna fans who are partial to her more urban-pop concoctions, and "Jump" ranks among the very best songs she's done in that vein.
"Right Now" has energy/excitement too :( But yeah, I really shouldn't be shocked/confused that most of her fans would strongly prefer a not-entirely-original/groundbreaking urban-pop sex jam over a not-entirely-original/groundbreaking EDM club tune.

JSparksFan wrote:01.(01) Camila Cabello - Havana
03.(NE) Demi Lovato - Sorry Not Sorry (Highest Debut)
04.(RE) Rihanna - S&M
05.(18) Whitney Houston - I Look to You (Greatest Gainer)
08.(RE) Delta Goodrem - Wings
11.(11) Camila Cabello - Crying in the Club
13.(RE) LP - Lost on You
14.(RE) Shania Twain - Up!
15.(09) Whitney Houston - Million Dollar Bill
16.(RE) J. Balvin & Willy William - Mi Gente (feat. Beyoncé)
17.(RE) Kylie Minogue - Aphrodite
18.(RE) Kacey Musgraves - Cup of Tea
20.(04) Whitney Houston - Call You Tonight (Biggest Free Faller)
• I'm still a bit dumbstruck by how "Havana" has absolutely exploded over the past few weeks :o "Crying In The Club" only did so-so most places (especially in the US), and "Havana" didn't make many waves when it dropped at the beginning of August...and now it's rocketed up to the Top 3 in the UK, out-peaked CITC in the US, etc. That said, you've appreciated CITC for a while now, so this is more a matter of her maintaining her streak with you. Might "Havana" ultimately eclipse CITC in your (esteemed) estimation?
• Any particular reason that "Sorry Not Sorry" finally managed to break through (and in such a big way?) Demi's pseudo-soul-stylings this era aren't really clicking with me, but she does have the voice to pull it off.
• You introduced me to "Call You Tonight" ages ago, and it still stands as one of her absolute finest album tracks/hidden gems. <3

Yet another chart that has all of my heart, Akini! :D
phoenix98
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:41 am

phoenix98 wrote:Ah, sorry! I didn't explain myself very clearly there. I meant to say that that's the part of the song where she comes the closest to really hooking me/almost sells me on the track...but it still wasn't quite enough, and I haven't spun the song once since 9/17. :oops:
No, I understood what you meant. That was me agreeing with you saying that that part is the climax, but it doesn't soar as high as I feel it should have.

phoenix98 wrote:Yeah, her single campaigns did get pretty messy after "S&M" (a trend that's persisted in every subsequent era, really. She gives us 2-3 singles with a full, proper push, and then a bunch of scattered releases to certain radio formats, or digital-only, or video-less, etc.) If memory serves, "California King Bed" was her US pop-radio single while "Man Down" served as her simultaneous urban-radio release (and CKB was the only one that she really pushed outside the States.) In the end, that approach just hampered both songs here in the US (and kept MD from achieving its due glory overseas.) :(
I guess since tours and other revenue streams (endorsements, fragrances, dating multi-billionaire oil heirs) are more profitable for artists, they figure once they've milked two or three hit singles from an album, they've achieved enough current success to launch their more lucrative campaigns.

phoenix98 wrote:Although it came close, I'm still surprised to see WFL miss the cut :o Has it always had that standing with you, or has the rest of TTT just grown on you that much over the years? DOL has always been a big fan fave that never resonated with me quite as strongly (much like "Man Down", actually.) Looking at your archives, WFL did only manage a mere 3 days at No. 1...
"We Found Love" has never been among my Rihanna faves. I'm still bemused that it's become, per my estimation, her most successful song to date.

phoenix98 wrote:"Right Now" has energy/excitement too :( But yeah, I really shouldn't be shocked/confused that most of her fans would strongly prefer a not-entirely-original/groundbreaking urban-pop sex jam over a not-entirely-original/groundbreaking EDM club tune.
I truly adore you. :lol:

phoenix98 wrote:• I'm still a bit dumbstruck by how "Havana" has absolutely exploded over the past few weeks :o "Crying In The Club" only did so-so most places (especially in the US), and "Havana" didn't make many waves when it dropped at the beginning of August...and now it's rocketed up to the Top 3 in the UK, out-peaked CITC in the US, etc. That said, you've appreciated CITC for a while now, so this is more a matter of her maintaining her streak with you. Might "Havana" ultimately eclipse CITC in your (esteemed) estimation?
It already has. Both songs are so much better than I would have ever expected from a Fifth Harmony member, but "Havana" feels like it fits Camila's style more. "Crying in the Club" is almost as strong, but she doesn't have as strong a stamp on that as she has on "Havana," which I've played like a madman these past few days.

phoenix98 wrote:•• Any particular reason that "Sorry Not Sorry" finally managed to break through (and in such a big way?) Demi's pseudo-soul-stylings this era aren't really clicking with me, but she does have the voice to pull it off.
Just my typical randomness. :lol:

phoenix98 wrote:• You introduced me to "Call You Tonight" ages ago, and it still stands as one of her absolute finest album tracks/hidden gems. <3
Aw, I'm glad I'm associated with this track for you! 8-)
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:47 am

Friday's Top 20 (October 6th)

01.(NE) Janet Jackson - Velvet Rope (Hot Shot Debut)
02.(01) Camila Cabello - Havana
03.(RE) Lynn Anderson - Rose Garden (Best Comeback)
04.(NE) Portugal. The Man - Feel It Still
05.(20) Whitney Houston - Call You Tonight (Greatest Gainer)
06.(RE) Taylor Swift - Our Song
07.(NE) Sam Smith - Pray
08.(RE) Sia - Day Too Soon
09.(NE) The Revivalists - Wish I Knew You
10.(NE) Portugal. The Man - So Young
11.(17) Kylie Minogue - Aphrodite
12.(RE) Janet Jackson - I Get Lonely
13.(NE) Childish Gambino - Terrified
14.(NE) Khalid - Young Dumb & Broke
15.(12) Shania Twain - Poor Me
16.(RE) Janet Jackson - Every Time
17.(02) Childish Gambino - Redbone (Biggest Free Faller)
18.(NE) Janet Jackson - Rope Burn
19.(RE) Cardi B - Bodak Yellow
20.(RE) Janet Jackson - Together Again
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:59 pm

"Pray" <3 - Sam Smith is about to smash! I am quite satisfied that he's not trying to do something completely different on his sophomore album. He's clearly as emotional as he used to be and I can't wait to get to know the concepts of the other album tracks! - Hope it will rise.
#TeamTargaryen
Mainshow
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:40 am

Mainshow wrote:"Pray" <3 - Sam Smith is about to smash! I am quite satisfied that he's not trying to do something completely different on his sophomore album. He's clearly as emotional as he used to be and I can't wait to get to know the concepts of the other album tracks! - Hope it will rise.
I have my doubts about that, but it is a solid song, certainly much better than "Too Good at Goodbyes".
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:46 am

Saturday's Top 20 (October 7th)

01.(02) Camila Cabello - Havana
02.(RE) Azealia Banks - 212 (feat. Lazy Jay) (Best Comeback)
03.(01) Janet Jackson - Velvet Rope
04.(RE) Nicki Minaj - No Frauds (feat. Drake & Lil Wayne)
05.(RE) Rihanna - Diamonds
06.(RE) Demi Lovato - Sorry Not Sorry
07.(RE) Rihanna - Umbrella (feat. Jay-Z)
08.(20) Janet Jackson - Together Again (Greatest Gainer)
09.(RE) Missy Elliott - Get Ur Freak On
10.(RE) Camila Cabello - Crying in the Club
11.(04) Portugal. The Man - Feel It Still (Biggest Free Faller)
12.(09) The Revivalists - Wish I Knew You
13.(07) Sam Smith - Pray
14.(RE) Eve - Let Me Blow Ya Mind
15.(RE) Lil Kim - How Many Licks? (feat. Sisqo)
16.(RE) Kelly Clarkson - Move You
17.(12) Janet Jackson - I Get Lonely
18.(RE) Mariah Carey - We Belong Together
19.(RE) Iggy Azalea - Change Your Life (feat. T.I.)
20.(RE) Solange - Cranes in the Sky
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby stevyy » Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:41 pm

Janet :o

a classic and evergreen. keep the great ones coming, baby. :wink:
stevyy
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:17 am

stevyy wrote:Janet :o

a classic and evergreen. keep the great ones coming, baby. :wink:
You know I always do. :wink:
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:23 am

Sunday's Top 20 (October 8th)

01.(01) Camila Cabello - Havana
03.(RE) Madonna - Masterpiece
04.(02) Azealia Banks - 212 (feat. Lazy Jay)
05.(RE) Janet Jackson - Every Time
06.(RE) Cardi B - Bodak Yellow
07.(10) Camila Cabello - Crying in the Club (Greatest Gainer)
08.(RE) Clean Bandit - Symphony (feat. Zara Larsson)
09.(RE) DJ Khaled - Wild Thoughts (feat. Rihanna)
10.(RE) St. Beauty - Borders
11.(RE) Kendrick Lamar - Humble
12.(11) Portugal. The Man - Feel It Still
13.(RE) SZA - The Weekend
14.(RE) Auli'i Cravalho - How Far I'll Go
15.(RE) Frank Ocean - Chanel
16.(RE) Lorde - Green Light
17.(RE) Childish Gambino - Terrified
18.(03) Janet Jackson - Velvet Rope (Biggest Free Faller)
19.(RE) Cher - Dov'e L'amore
20.(RE) Lady Gaga - Million Reasons
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:58 am

Monday's Top 20 (October 9th)

01.(12) Portugal. The Man - Feel It Still (Greatest Gainer)
02.(01) Camila Cabello - Havana (Biggest Free Faller)
03.(NE) Jessie Ware - Selfish Love (Highest Debut)
04.(07) Camila Cabello - Crying in the Club
05.(RE) Portugal. The Man - So Young (Best Comeback)
07.(RE) J Balvin & Willy William - Mi Gente (feat. Beyoncé)
08.(NE) Portugal. The Man - Modern Jesus
09.(RE) The Revivalists - Wish I Knew You
10.(RE) Shania Twain - I'm Alright
11.(NE) Portugal. The Man - Purple Yellow Red and Blue
12.(NE) Sam Cooke - You Send Me
13.(RE) Ariana Grande - Into You
14.(RE) Carly Rae Jepsen - Run Away with Me
15.(NE) Demi Lovato - Tell Me You Love Me
16.(RE) Lucy Hale - Red Dress (feat. Joe Nichols)
17.(RE) Miley Cyrus - Malibu
18.(RE) Taylor Swift - Look What You Made Me Do
19.(RE) Shania Twain - Poor Me
20.(RE) Taylor Swift - ...Ready for It?
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:43 pm

Glad to see "Havana" is still smashing! - I haven't fallen in love with Portugal. The Man's tracks yet but I like to see some Shania and Demi on your chart ;)
#TeamTargaryen
Mainshow
Legend

Postby JakeP » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:30 pm

Hi Akini :D

01.(12) Portugal. The Man - Feel It Still (Greatest Gainer)

Ohh this is amazing, is this the first time Feel it still has gone all the way to #1 in your daily chart? Looks like you've been digging a little deeper into their back catalogue. Still love the breezy jiggy vibes of this track.

02.(01) Camila Cabello - Havana (Biggest Free Faller)

I think Havana is going to eventually be bigger than every track by Fifth Harmony, so even bigger than Work from home which was a big success. Makes me wonder if this is a fluke success single or whether the album will deliver any more gems.

Also love these from todays hot picks:

04.(07) Camila Cabello - Crying in the Club
07.(RE) J Balvin & Willy William - Mi Gente (feat. Beyoncé)
13.(RE) Ariana Grande - Into You
14.(RE) Carly Rae Jepsen - Run Away with Me
17.(RE) Miley Cyrus - Malibu
18.(RE) Taylor Swift - Look What You Made Me Do
19.(RE) Shania Twain - Poor Me
JakeP
Manager

Postby JSparksFan » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:33 am

JakeP wrote:Hi Akini :D
Hey, Jake!

JakeP wrote:Ohh this is amazing, is this the first time Feel it still has gone all the way to #1 in your daily chart? Looks like you've been digging a little deeper into their back catalogue. Still love the breezy jiggy vibes of this track.
It is! I selected their top tracks on Spotify to explore after enjoying "Feel It Still" so much, then decided that "Feel It Still" and the other songs were sufficient for me to spend the time to check out their most recent album in its entirety.

JakeP wrote:I think Havana is going to eventually be bigger than every track by Fifth Harmony, so even bigger than Work from home which was a big success. Makes me wonder if this is a fluke success single or whether the album will deliver any more gems.
I hope it is. It's certainly better than anything Fifth Harmony ever released.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:38 am

Tuesday's Top 20 (October 10th)

01.(02) Camila Cabello - Havana (Greatest Gainer)
02.(RE) Evanescence - Bring Me to Life (Best Comeback)
03.(RE) Carly Rae Jepsen - Love Again
04.(RE) Ariana Grande - Let Me Love You (feat. Lil Wayne)
05.(01) Portugal. The Man - Feel It Still
06.(RE) Whitney Houston - One Moment in Time
07.(RE) Madonna - Inside Out
08.(04) Camila Cabello - Crying in the Club
09.(RE) Madonna - Miles Away
10.(RE) P!nk - Whatever You Want
11.(03) Jessie Ware - Selfish Love
12.(RE) Calvin Harris - Feels (feat. Katy Perry, Big Sean, & Pharrell Williams)
13.(RE) Beyoncé - Daddy Lessons
14.(10) Shania Twain - I'm Alright
15.(05) Portugal. The Man - So Young (Biggest Free Faller)
16.(RE) Solange - Cranes in the Sky
17.(RE) Madonna - Rain
18.(RE) Madonna - Love Profusion
19.(RE) Carly Rae Jepsen - Cut to the Feeling
20.(RE) Fleetwood Mac - Go Your Own Way
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:55 am

Wednesday's Top 20 (October 11th)

01.(RE) Lady Gaga - Born This Way (Best Comeback)
02.(01) Camila Cabello - Havana
03.(RE) Taylor Swift - ...Ready for It?
04.(RE) Kylie Minogue - Turn It into Love
05.(RE) Ariana Grande - Into You
06.(RE) Mika - Love Today
07.(RE) Tina Turner - What's Love Got to Do with It
08.(RE) Years & Years - Meteorite
09.(RE) Hurts - Beautiful Ones
10.(RE) Rihanna - Don't Stop the Music
11.(RE) Taylor Swift - Look What You Made Me Do
12.(08) Camila Cabello - Crying in the Club (Biggest Free Faller)
13.(RE) Tina Turner - Till the Right Man Comes Along
14.(RE) TWENTY88 - 2 Minute Warning
15.(RE) Rihanna - Umbrella (feat. Jay-Z)
16.(RE) Britney Spears - Gimme More
17.(RE) Selena Gomez - Kill Em with Kindness
18.(RE) Black Eyed Peas - Just Can't Get Enough
19.(RE) Lady Gaga - The Edge of Glory
20.(RE) Tina Turner - Proud Mary
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:14 am

Thursday's Top 20 (October 12th)

01.(RE) Calvin Harris - Feels (feat. Katy Perry, Big Sean, & Pharrell Williams) (Best Comeback)
02.(RE) Portugal. The Man - Feel It Still
03.(04) Kylie Minogue - Turn It into Love (Greatest Gainer)
04.(RE) Beyoncé - Start Over
05.(RE) Portugal. The Man - Modern Jesus
06.(RE) Sia - Day Too Soon
07.(RE) Mika - Rain
08.(RE) Rihanna - Diamonds
09.(06) Mika - Love Today (Biggest Free Faller)
10.(RE) Janet Jackson - That's the Way Love Goes
11.(RE) Coldplay - Adventure of a Lifetime
12.(RE) Kylie Minogue - Aphrodite
13.(NE) Tove Lo - Disco Tits (Highest Debut)
14.(RE) Janet Jackson - All for You
15.(RE) Kylie Minogue - Come into My World
16.(RE) Kylie Minogue - Red Blooded Woman
17.(RE) Kylie Minogue - Timebomb
18.(RE) Mariah Carey - Melt Away
19.(RE) Ariana Grande - Let Me Love You (feat Lil Wayne)
20.(RE) Imagine Dragons - Believer
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:48 pm

"Diamonds" is one of my favourite singles by Rihanna. I am glad it made an appearance on your chart and I love some of the Kylie tracks, especially "Aphrodite" which should have become a single as well as "Timebomb" (underrated masterpiece!). "Believer" is massive, too. Perhaps my favourite track on Imagine Dragons' album
#TeamTargaryen
Mainshow
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:00 am

JSparksFan wrote:No, I understood what you meant. That was me agreeing with you saying that that part is the climax, but it doesn't soar as high as I feel it should have.
Ah, right on. So we're actually on the same page with that part showing particular promise, but ultimately falling short of supplying sufficient satisfaction. (When I fail to muster up truly insightful analysis, I just fall back on good 'ol alliteration...)

The fact that we're still talking about "Move You" reminds me that I really need to comment here more often...

JSparksFan wrote:I guess since tours and other revenue streams (endorsements, fragrances, dating multi-billionaire oil heirs) are more profitable for artists, they figure once they've milked two or three hit singles from an album, they've achieved enough current success to launch their more lucrative campaigns.
Yeah, that's one of those sobering reminders of how the music business really is a business first and foremost. I'd love to see more focus on pushing their music, but especially now with streaming's terrible profit margins for the artists, albums really are more of an afterthought/means to an end than ever before.

It also doesn't help that I'm just not terribly interested in most of those other ventures (especially whichever shoes or soda they're currently hawking.) Tours are a rare treat, but following (and rooting for) an act's latest single on the charts was always free fun...

JSparksFan wrote:"We Found Love" has never been among my Rihanna faves. I'm still bemused that it's become, per my estimation, her most successful song to date.
I'm all for "We Found Love" earning a spot in the history books (Naval and otherwise), but it's definitely weird to think of anything other than "Umbrella" as her "signature"/"defining"/"ultimate" hit. I'm honestly not sure exactly how its global chart performance compares, but its impact on her career was certainly incomparable.

JSparksFan wrote:It already has. Both songs are so much better than I would have ever expected from a Fifth Harmony member, but "Havana" feels like it fits Camila's style more. "Crying in the Club" is almost as strong, but she doesn't have as strong a stamp on that as she has on "Havana," which I've played like a madman these past few days.
Your avatar change is certainly a testament to its impact! Speaking of - props for picking an especially smouldering shot of Ms. Cabello (though, given your penchant for taking smouldering selfies, I guess it shouldn't come as a surprise that you've got an eye for smouldering shots of others as well...)

JSparksFan wrote:01.(RE) Calvin Harris - Feels (feat. Katy Perry, Big Sean, & Pharrell Williams) (Best Comeback)
02.(RE) Portugal. The Man - Feel It Still
03.(04) Kylie Minogue - Turn It into Love (Greatest Gainer)
04.(RE) Beyoncé - Start Over
07.(RE) Mika - Rain
08.(RE) Rihanna - Diamonds
10.(RE) Janet Jackson - That's the Way Love Goes
12.(RE) Kylie Minogue - Aphrodite
13.(NE) Tove Lo - Disco Tits (Highest Debut)
14.(RE) Janet Jackson - All for You
15.(RE) Kylie Minogue - Come into My World
16.(RE) Kylie Minogue - Red Blooded Woman
17.(RE) Kylie Minogue - Timebomb
18.(RE) Mariah Carey - Melt Away
19.(RE) Ariana Grande - Let Me Love You (feat Lil Wayne)
20.(RE) Imagine Dragons - Believer
• This is "Feels" first time in the limelight here, yeah? In theory, I respect and admire Calvin's choice to step outside of his previous genre-box and serve up an era of uncharted territory...in practice, unfortunately, I'm just not that interested in listening to most of it :lol: "Feels" is easily my favorite of the bunch, though!
• Ah, "Turn It Into Love" <3 I'm holding onto a teensy bit of hope that it'll still appear on Thriller's countdown (but I'm definitely not holding my breath...)
• As much as I appreciate Tove's choice to craft a chorus around her prickly nips, "Disco Tits" fails to have that same effect on any of my body parts. I'm hoping we're in for another Lady Wood situation, where she followed the underwhelming "Cool Girl" with "True Disaster" (a very strong contender for my absolute favorite song of hers yet.)
• The recent (terribly-belated) explosion of "Thunder" here in the US has put Imagine Dragons back on my mind, and I've even started to warm up to "Believer." I'm still not a big fan of that chanty/shouty chorus, but the "inhibited, limited..." part is worth coming back for.

Yet another chart that gives me all kinds of feels, Akini! :D
phoenix98
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:56 am

Mainshow wrote:"Diamonds" is one of my favourite singles by Rihanna. I am glad it made an appearance on your chart and I love some of the Kylie tracks, especially "Aphrodite" which should have become a single as well as "Timebomb" (underrated masterpiece!). "Believer" is massive, too. Perhaps my favourite track on Imagine Dragons' album
Yeah, "Aphrodite" is one of Kylie's best songs. I had always liked it, but I've been enjoying it even more as of late.

phoenix98 wrote:Ah, right on. So we're actually on the same page with that part showing particular promise, but ultimately falling short of supplying sufficient satisfaction. (When I fail to muster up truly insightful analysis, I just fall back on good 'ol alliteration...)
The thing about it is, if it had reached those heights, I could've seen it as a contender for my song of the year. It has so much soul that it just really needs a big moment to top the whole thing off. "Love So Soft" and "Move You" have definitely made me excited for the album, though.

phoenix98 wrote:Yeah, that's one of those sobering reminders of how the music business really is a business first and foremost. I'd love to see more focus on pushing their music, but especially now with streaming's terrible profit margins for the artists, albums really are more of an afterthought/means to an end than ever before.

It also doesn't help that I'm just not terribly interested in most of those other ventures (especially whichever shoes or soda they're currently hawking.) Tours are a rare treat, but following (and rooting for) an act's latest single on the charts was always free fun...
Yeah, and when you get almost half a million dollars for an Instagram post, I guess you focus more on your endorsement deals than pushing third and fourth singles. It's crazy, though, how big digital downloading was just a few years ago - I remember "Shake It Off" opened with 544,000 to claim its #1 debut - and now you have "Bodak Yellow" at #1 with just over 45,000 actual paid downloads, and this is just three years later.

phoenix98 wrote:I'm all for "We Found Love" earning a spot in the history books (Naval and otherwise), but it's definitely weird to think of anything other than "Umbrella" as her "signature"/"defining"/"ultimate" hit. I'm honestly not sure exactly how its global chart performance compares, but its impact on her career was certainly incomparable.
Yeah, "Umbrella" felt bigger to me, too, but if you look at the all-time biggest hits (as of November 2015) in the US and the biggest selling singles of all-time in the UK "We Found Love" is Rihanna's biggest hit on both lists. Also, I don't know how comfortable you are with Mediatraffic as the global chart, but on their all-time list "We Found Love" is Rihanna's biggest hit as well.

phoenix98 wrote:Your avatar change is certainly a testament to its impact! Speaking of - props for picking an especially smouldering shot of Ms. Cabello (though, given your penchant for taking smouldering selfies, I guess it shouldn't come as a surprise that you've got an eye for smouldering shots of others as well...)
Aw, you flatter me. :oops:

Interestingly enough, I'm strongly considering a trip to Havana.

phoenix98 wrote:This is "Feels" first time in the limelight here, yeah? In theory, I respect and admire Calvin's choice to step outside of his previous genre-box and serve up an era of uncharted territory...in practice, unfortunately, I'm just not that interested in listening to most of it :lol: "Feels" is easily my favorite of the bunch, though!
Yep! I don't think I've heard too much from Calvin Harris's recent album. I really only care for him when he features artists I like.

phoenix98 wrote:• Ah, "Turn It Into Love" <3 I'm holding onto a teensy bit of hope that it'll still appear on Thriller's countdown (but I'm definitely not holding my breath...)
Even all these years later, it's still between that one and "Your Disco Needs You" for my favourite Kylie song.

phoenix98 wrote:• As much as I appreciate Tove's choice to craft a chorus around her prickly nips, "Disco Tits" fails to have that same effect on any of my body parts. I'm hoping we're in for another Lady Wood situation, where she followed the underwhelming "Cool Girl" with "True Disaster" (a very strong contender for my absolute favorite song of hers yet.)
"Disco Tits" has an attitude to it that I like, though. I certainly don't think it's her best single either, but it's something different that works...to some extent anyway.

phoenix98 wrote:• The recent (terribly-belated) explosion of "Thunder" here in the US has put Imagine Dragons back on my mind, and I've even started to warm up to "Believer." I'm still not a big fan of that chanty/shouty chorus, but the "inhibited, limited..." part is worth coming back for.
I hope "Whatever It Takes" takes off sooner than "Thunder" did.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:03 am

Friday's Top 20 (October 13th)

01.(RE) ABBA - I Have a Dream (Best Comeback)
02.(RE) Carly Rae Jepsen - Love Again
03.(09) Mika - Love Today
04.(RE) Camila Cabello - Havana
05.(RE) Beyoncé - Drunk in Love (feat Jay-Z & Kanye West)
06.(RE) Imagine Dragons - Whatever It Takes
07.(02) Portugal. The Man - Feel It Still
08.(RE) Katy Perry - Roulette
09.(RE) Kylie Minogue - Your Disco Needs You
10.(07) Mika - Rain
11.(19) Ariana Grande - Let Me Love You (feat Lil Wayne) (Greatest Gainer)
12.(RE) Beyoncé - Daddy Lessons
13.(RE) Childish Gambino - Terrified
14.(RE) Destiny's Child - Survivor
15.(RE) Azaelia Banks - 212 (feat. Lazy Jay)
16.(RE) Prince - Purple Rain
17.(RE) Taylor Swift - Look What You Made Me Do
18.(05) Portugal. The Man - Modern Jesus (Biggest Free Faller)
19.(RE) Camila Cabello - Crying in the Club
JSparksFan
Legend

Return to Personal Charts