Akini's Daily Top 20: #1 The things you told me not to be

Moderators: JSparksFan, tdc2000, FreakyFlyBry

Postby JSparksFan » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:27 am

biscuits wrote:If you had told me there was so much Janet, I'd have arrived earlier!
She should be a regular feature for the next three to four months!

phoenix98 wrote:Who are you keeping such a tight grip on these days, Akini? ;)
The only thing I keep a tight grip on these days is my sanity, tbh.

phoenix98 wrote:It's juvenile of me, but I also think I'd see openness (at least somewhat) as a reflection on myself and what I do (or don't) offer. Logically, I realize that a partner seeking out some variety/new sexual experiences is not an indication of any sort of inferiority on my part...but I suspect it'd still tap into some of those feelings anyway.
This is a fair point! I'd probably feel the same.

phoenix98 wrote:This whole paragraph does more for me than dirty talk, tbh. So well said, and I really love your attitude toward it all.
Is this a "talk nerdy to me" fetish I'm sensing? :wink:

phoenix98 wrote:Ah, thanks! Now that's a name I haven't heard in a while. I actually picked up his (band's) first album back in the day. Did any of his original offerings do anything for you?
Well, when I did my 2012 countdown of my favourite albums of all-time, his debut album was in the Top 10. That was a long time ago, and it'd be a tough ask for that same album to make my current Top 100, but pretty much every song on his first album + the first two singles from his sophomore effort would be filed under 'winners' in my book.

phoenix98 wrote: :o I might be getting ahead of things here, but...Yes, YeS , YES!!!
8-)

phoenix98 wrote:• Ah, "If." SUCH the perfect soundtrack for my libidinous, sexually-deprived teenage self. This jam has lines that make even Madonna's "Erotica" sound tame: "your smooth and shiny feels so good against my lips, sugar..."
"Honey" could never!

I have so much love for "If"! If only I could express it all! Such an epic song. :cry:

phoenix98 wrote:• Inspired by your earlier insinuation of what may come in 6-8 weeks, I've gone through Control - janet. over the past couple days, and when I got to "This Time", I was suddenly flooded with flashbacks of you stanning for it at some point. It always seemed like one of that album's few missteps to me, and that feeling didn't change much after my latest listen. I'm rarely on-board with 7-minute-songs, and the chorus/hook still strikes me as weak/forgettable by her standards (especially sequenced right after the likes of "You Want This" and "If.")
Yeah, "This Time" hit #1 here in October 2012, so there was definitely a time when I loved it. I will say its production has always been its biggest selling point. There will be more to say at a more appropriate time, but I'm glad to hear you're revisiting Janet's catalogue!

phoenix98 wrote:• At first I'm like "A JD-free version of 'Sweetheart'? Sign. Me. UP!" - but apparently it's already in my library! :lol:
Well, that is the JD-present version I'm charting, but I've decided to stop crediting featured acts who add nothing to the song. Young Thug on "Havana" was my breaking point actually. :lol:

phoenix98 wrote:Yet another chart that sounds good at any volume, Akini! :D
Thanks, Paul! :D
And the category is: LIVE. WORK. POSE!
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:33 am

Thursday's Top 20 (March 8th)

01.(NE) Years & Years - Sanctify (Hot Shot Debut)
02.(RE) Jennifer Lopez - I'm into You (feat. Lil Wayne) (Biggest Free Faller)
03.(01) Michael Jackson & Janet Jackson - Scream
04.(RE) Years & Years - Meteorite
05.(07) Janet Jackson - If It Takes All Night (Greatest Gainer)
06.(RE) Years & Years - Take Shelter
07.(RE) Madonna - The Power of Goodbye
08.(RE) Kelly Clarkson - Medicine
09.(NE) Jessie Ware - Running
10.(RE) Rae Morris - Do It
11.(RE) Kelly Clarkson - Love So Soft
12.(10) Janet Jackson - No Sleeep (Biggest Free Faller)
13.(RE) Lorde - Sober
14.(NE) Amy Shark - Deleted
15.(RE) Shakira - Chantaje (feat. Maluma)
16.(RE) Janet Jackson - Unbreakable
17.(RE) Janelle Monáe - Make Me Feel
18.(RE) Shakira - Trap (feat. Maluma)
19.(NE) Fleetwood Mac - Seven Wonders
20.(RE) Kara Marni - Golden
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby biscuits » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:35 am

I barely listen to Janet's first albums so I can't even remember what 'If It Takes All Night' sounds like :oops:
TheRealest wrote:Chy tf plz biscuits girl
biscuits
The Diva

Postby cheapthrills » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:05 pm

So happy Years and Years is back with a single :)
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby JSparksFan » Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:24 am

biscuits wrote:I barely listen to Janet's first albums so I can't even remember what 'If It Takes All Night' sounds like :oops:
It's an absolute delight! You should revisit it. :wink:

cheapthrills wrote:So happy Years and Years is back with a single :)
As am I! The song checks so many boxes for me. I was instantly hooked.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:30 am

Friday's Top 20 (March 9th)

01.(01) Years & Years - Sanctify
02.(RE) Camila Cabello - Havana (Best Comeback)
03.(06) Years & Years - Take Shelter
04.(NE) Elijah Blake - Rendezvous (feat. Jordin Sparks) (Highest Debut)
05.(12) Janet Jackson - No Sleeep
06.(NE) Bebe Rexha - Meant to Be (feat. Florida Georgia Line)
07.(15) Shakira - Chantaje (feat. Maluma) (Greatest Gainer)
08.(RE) Janet Jackson - If
09.(RE) Kylie Minogue - Aphrodite
10.(RE) Janet Jackson - Rhythm Nation
11.(RE) Janet Jackson - Lonely
12.(RE) Janet Jackson - Miss You Much
13.(RE) Janet Jackson - Love Will Never Do (Without You)
14.(RE) Adele - Rolling in the Deep
15.(RE) Janet Jackson - Feedback
16.(RE) Adele - Set Fire to the Rain
17.(RE) Diana DeGarmo - Then I Woke Up
18.(RE) Adele - Chasing Pavements
19.(RE) Adele - Melt My Heart to Stone
20.(RE) Adele - Hello
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby SummerPeur » Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:00 am

JSparksFan wrote:Friday's Top 20 (March 9th)

20.(RE) Adele - Hello
Fantastic to see some Years nd Years!

So strange, I listened to Aphrodite in my car today as well, while I was on my way to gym to pump me up.

I'm fierce and I'm feeling mighty,
I'm a golden girl, I'm an Aphrodite

That's twice now! September and now Kylie :D

+ Love me some Adele.
Yeah, I Bloom
I, Bloom Just For You
I Bloom, Just For Youuuuu
SummerPeur
Superstar

Postby JakeP » Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:48 pm

Hey Akini :D

So good to have Years & Years back. Sanctify is not the big pop hit i was anticipating but nonetheless i really like this. Olly is one of the most gorgeous cutest guys in planet pop. I love how he gives off this aura of vulnerability but then he totally owns it with such striking music videos. I would be in gay heaven if Olly danced like that all over me. :lol: :P :wink:

Nice to see Bebe making your chart. This was a decent sized hit in my chart in December and now it looks like it's going to become a hit in the UK. :D

Other favourites:

02.(RE) Camila Cabello - Havana (Best Comeback)
03.(06) Years & Years - Take Shelter
07.(15) Shakira - Chantaje (feat. Maluma) (Greatest Gainer)
10.(RE) Janet Jackson - Rhythm Nation
14.(RE) Adele - Rolling in the Deep
18.(RE) Adele - Chasing Pavements
19.(RE) Adele - Melt My Heart to Stone
20.(RE) Adele - Hello
JakeP
Manager

Postby JSparksFan » Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:39 am

SummerPeur wrote:Fantastic to see some Years nd Years!

So strange, I listened to Aphrodite in my car today as well, while I was on my way to gym to pump me up.

I'm fierce and I'm feeling mighty,
I'm a golden girl, I'm an Aphrodite

That's twice now! September and now Kylie :D

+ Love me some Adele.
The syncopation >>>

I'm in a happier place now that I was a few weeks ago, and "Aphrodite" has perfect lyrics to match how I feel: It's a truth, it's a fact, I was gone, and now I'm back. 8-)

JakeP wrote:Hey Akini :D

So good to have Years & Years back. Sanctify is not the big pop hit i was anticipating but nonetheless i really like this. Olly is one of the most gorgeous cutest guys in planet pop. I love how he gives off this aura of vulnerability but then he totally owns it with such striking music videos. I would be in gay heaven if Olly danced like that all over me. :lol: :P :wink:

Nice to see Bebe making your chart. This was a decent sized hit in my chart in December and now it looks like it's going to become a hit in the UK. :D
I like that "Sanctify" has a darker tone. It's already my second Years & Years song after "Meteorite". Also, 2018 is the year I realise that Olly and Troye are both uber handsome men. :oops:

I don't know why I didn't like "Meant to Be" the first time I heard it. I suppose I thought it was average, and I probably didn't have time at that point to give average a second chance.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:48 am

Saturday's Top 20 (March 10th)

01.(11) Janet Jackson - Lonely (Greatest Gainer)
02.(04) Elijah Blake - Rendezvous (feat. Jordin Sparks)
03.(01) Years & Years - Sanctify (Biggest Free Faller)
04.(RE) Janet Jackson - That's the Way Love Goes (Best Comeback)
05.(08) Janet Jackson - If
06.(NE) Kelsea Ballerini - I Hate Love Songs (Highest Debut)
07.(RE) Lady Gaga - Bad Romance
08.(NE) Janet Jackson - New Agenda
09.(RE) Janet Jackson - Because of Love
10.(RE) Janet Jackson - You Want This
11.(NE) Lenka - Heal
12.(RE) Martina McBride - A Broken Wing
13.(RE) Britney Spears - ...Baby One More Time
14.(NE) Janet Jackson - Throb
15.(RE) Britney Spears - Break the Ice
16.(NE) She's Only Sixteen - Magic
17.(RE) Britney Spears - Gimme More
18.(RE) Britney Spears - Stronger
19.(RE) Martina McBride - Anyway
20.(RE) Nick Jonas - Under You
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:30 pm

JSparksFan wrote:Is this a "talk nerdy to me" fetish I'm sensing? :wink:
Basically :lol: Though it feels a little off to call a candid evaluation of open relationships and sexual exploration “nerdy”...so maybe more like ”talk enlightened/progressive to me.” ;)

JSparksFan wrote:Well, when I did my 2012 countdown of my favourite albums of all-time, his debut album was in the Top 10. That was a long time ago, and it'd be a tough ask for that same album to make my current Top 100, but pretty much every song on his first album + the first two singles from his sophomore effort would be filed under 'winners' in my book.
:o Woah! I did NOT realize that your adoration for him/his band was ever that strong! It’s been years, but I remember being underwhelmed by most of the non-singles, so I guess that’s another LP for the “Must Revisit” list...

JSparksFan wrote:"Honey" could never!

I have so much love for "If"! If only I could express it all! Such an epic song. :cry:
:lol:

All this gushing about “If” bodes well for the thing that may-or-may-not be happening in 5-7 weeks...

JSparksFan wrote:Well, that is the JD-present version I'm charting, but I've decided to stop crediting featured acts who add nothing to the song. Young Thug on "Havana" was my breaking point actually. :lol:
:o I love that! **Round of applause**

I’d mentioned in Tansike’s chart a week or so ago how I don’t count featured appearances in an artist’s overall Paulboard chart history partially because the term is just used SO broadly: sometimes it’s basically a proper duet with the featured act, sometimes the featured act appears for 15-20 seconds, sometimes the featured act just provides backing vocals, sometimes the featured act is just the producer who doesn’t provide any vocals at all, etc. In many of those cases, I don’t think the featured guest deserves equal credit (if we’re listing the producer, why not the writers too? The song wouldn’t exist without them either.)

I’ve briefly pondered the idea of treating them on a case-by-case basis, so I respect that you’ve really taken that leap! Credit DENIED. 8-)

JSparksFan wrote:01.(11) Janet Jackson - Lonely (Greatest Gainer)
03.(01) Years & Years - Sanctify (Biggest Free Faller)
04.(RE) Janet Jackson - That's the Way Love Goes (Best Comeback)
05.(08) Janet Jackson - If
07.(RE) Lady Gaga - Bad Romance
08.(NE) Janet Jackson - New Agenda
09.(RE) Janet Jackson - Because of Love
10.(RE) Janet Jackson - You Want This
13.(RE) Britney Spears - ...Baby One More Time
14.(NE) Janet Jackson - Throb
15.(RE) Britney Spears - Break the Ice
17.(RE) Britney Spears - Gimme More
18.(RE) Britney Spears - Stronger
20.(RE) Nick Jonas - Under You
• ”Lonely” really gets overshadowed by all the iconic bops on Rhythm Nation 1814, but it looks like something about it has really struck you now? Janet whispering to you in Spanish, perhaps? During my recent revisit of that album, I was reminded how it concludes with back-to-back-to-back slow jams, which kind of brings such an energetic, empowering album to a grinding halt...
• Speaking of empowering, I’m really lovin’ that debut for “New Agenda.” I’d hoped its message and attitude might resonate with you - and it definitely meets my catchiness criteria too!
• Hmmm...should I be alarmed by the absence of “Stop Me From Falling”?

Yet another chart that eases any loneliness, Akini! :D
phoenix98
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:31 am

phoenix98 wrote:Basically :lol: Though it feels a little off to call a candid evaluation of open relationships and sexual exploration “nerdy”...so maybe more like ”talk enlightened/progressive to me.” ;)
True, but "nerdy" is a neat word to sum that up. Honestly, I remember seeing a guy wearing this shirt a few years ago, and there was a "Talk Nerdy" parody on YouTube that I vaguely recall enjoying, so maybe that's why the term was so close to the top of my memory bank.

phoenix98 wrote: :o Woah! I did NOT realize that your adoration for him/his band was ever that strong! It’s been years, but I remember being underwhelmed by most of the non-singles, so I guess that’s another LP for the “Must Revisit” list...
He was my favourite contestant that season of American Idol, so I loved him during the show. There was a lot of hype surrounding his debut release. I think he's come close to outselling everyone else from that season combined. I don't think his music has held up too well over the years, though.

phoenix98 wrote: :lol:

All this gushing about “If” bodes well for the thing that may-or-may-not be happening in 5-7 weeks...
Yeah, the tribute will only start once I'm settled in my #1 pick, so six weeks should be ample time for me to reach that point of comfort.

phoenix98 wrote: :o I love that! **Round of applause**

I’d mentioned in Tansike’s chart a week or so ago how I don’t count featured appearances in an artist’s overall Paulboard chart history partially because the term is just used SO broadly: sometimes it’s basically a proper duet with the featured act, sometimes the featured act appears for 15-20 seconds, sometimes the featured act just provides backing vocals, sometimes the featured act is just the producer who doesn’t provide any vocals at all, etc. In many of those cases, I don’t think the featured guest deserves equal credit (if we’re listing the producer, why not the writers too? The song wouldn’t exist without them either.)

I’ve briefly pondered the idea of treating them on a case-by-case basis, so I respect that you’ve really taken that leap! Credit DENIED. 8-)
Yeah, "We Found Love" is a great example where the featured act - a producer in that case - doesn't really deserve credit. It's also weird to credit DJs as lead acts on songs where they provide no vocals. David Guetta has a healthy play count in my music library, and that comes down 100% to songs with featured vocals from a wide array of acts. Of course, Guetta is responsible for production, and penned (or co-penned) almost all of these songs, but it's still a strange situation. (This applies to Calvin Harris, Zedd, DJ Snake, Naughty Boy, and others).

phoenix98 wrote:• ”Lonely” really gets overshadowed by all the iconic bops on Rhythm Nation 1814, but it looks like something about it has really struck you now? Janet whispering to you in Spanish, perhaps? During my recent revisit of that album, I was reminded how it concludes with back-to-back-to-back slow jams, which kind of brings such an energetic, empowering album to a grinding halt...
It has a warm melody that I find appealing.

phoenix98 wrote:• Speaking of empowering, I’m really lovin’ that debut for “New Agenda.” I’d hoped its message and attitude might resonate with you - and it definitely meets my catchiness criteria too!
*Sigh*

This punctuation/quotation mark inconsistency between American and British English is irritating. I find myself being inconsistent in my application of the rules because this sentence looks and feels right: My favourite Madonna songs are "Deeper and Deeper," "Like a Prayer," and "Papa Don't Preach". I keep the commas within the quotation marks (as per American English standards), but it feels weird to keep the period within the quotation marks (which aligns more with British English standards). What's your reasoning for keeping the period within the quotation marks?

phoenix98 wrote:• Hmmm...should I be alarmed by the absence of “Stop Me From Falling”?
No, because I haven't heard it yet. :oops:
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:38 am

Sunday's Top 20 (March 11th)

01.(01) Janet Jackson - Lonely
02.(RE) Jessie Ware - Running (Best Comeback)
03.(03) Years & Years - Sanctify
04.(RE) Jess Glynne - Don't Be So Hard on Yourself
05.(RE) Mariah Carey - The Beautiful Ones (feat. Dru Hill)
06.(04) Janet Jackson - That's the Way Love Goes
07.(RE) Janet Jackson - Doesn't Really Matter
08.(RE) Janet Jackson - Trust a Try
09.(05) Janet Jackson - If
10.(NE) Sabrina Claudio - Unravel Me (Highest Debut)
11.(RE) Rita Ora - Anywhere
12.(RE) Mariah Carey - Triumphant (Get 'Em) (feat. Rick Ross & Meek Mill)
13.(RE) Kelly Clarkson - Love So Soft
14.(02) Elijah Blake - Rendezvous (Biggest Free Faller)
15.(RE) Taylor Swift - Delicate
16.(06) Kelsea Ballerini - I Hate Love Songs
17.(14) Janet Jackson - Throb
18.(RE) Janet Jackson - Feedback
19.(RE) George Michael - Careless Whisper
20.(RE) Foster the People - Pay the Man
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:00 am

JSparksFan wrote:True, but "nerdy" is a neat word to sum that up. Honestly, I remember seeing a guy wearing this shirt a few years ago, and there was a "Talk Nerdy" parody on YouTube that I vaguely recall enjoying, so maybe that's why the term was so close to the top of my memory bank.
:o LOVE the shirt! The adorkableness of it almost does as much for me as the actual nerdy talk... ;)

JSparksFan wrote:He was my favourite contestant that season of American Idol, so I loved him during the show. There was a lot of hype surrounding his debut release. I think he's come close to outselling everyone else from that season combined. I don't think his music has held up too well over the years, though.
He definitely wound up as the biggest success from that season (sales/chart-wise, but I don't want to totally dismiss Ms. McPhee's TV stint), so your instincts were certainly on-the-mark!

JSparksFan wrote:Yeah, "We Found Love" is a great example where the featured act - a producer in that case - doesn't really deserve credit. It's also weird to credit DJs as lead acts on songs where they provide no vocals. David Guetta has a healthy play count in my music library, and that comes down 100% to songs with featured vocals from a wide array of acts. Of course, Guetta is responsible for production, and penned (or co-penned) almost all of these songs, but it's still a strange situation. (This applies to Calvin Harris, Zedd, DJ Snake, Naughty Boy, and others).
**Nod** I'm all for recognizing and respecting a DJ's/producer's contributions, but to elevate them above a track's (only) vocalists just seems to trade one power imbalance for another. Assuming there ARE vocals, the singer has always been the "face" of the song - they're the one bringing the words to life on the recording and in any live performances. Admittedly, crediting the singer first also plays into my personal bias toward the importance of vocals on a track. (If I HAD to pick between an acapella track and an instrumental track, I'd go for acapella.)

JSparksFan wrote:This punctuation/quotation mark inconsistency between American and British English is irritating. I find myself being inconsistent in my application of the rules because this sentence looks and feels right: My favourite Madonna songs are "Deeper and Deeper," "Like a Prayer," and "Papa Don't Preach". I keep the commas within the quotation marks (as per American English standards), but it feels weird to keep the period within the quotation marks (which aligns more with British English standards). What's your reasoning for keeping the period within the quotation marks?
:lol: At first I thought you quoted me by mistake, because I did NOT understand where all that was coming from! I've lived in the US my whole life, so I've been taught the American style, but sometimes I might accidentally slip into the British style due to my own faulty memory of the rules (or just a lack of proper proofreading). Since psychology was my primary focus in both undergrad and grad school, I had to use APA style the most, which states that periods and commas go inside quotation marks. As I'm reading through that link now, I'm realizing that I pretty much always do commas "wrong" here :oops: Sometimes, like you mentioned, I think it’s just been a case of me going with whatever looks/feels right in the moment.

I get that this is (obviously) a UK-based site, and people love the "There's no such thing as American English - just bad English" joke/mentality, but I find the way that languages evolve (both written and spoken) over time and across different regions to be pretty interesting. Although I try to utilize what I've learned, I like the idea of this site being casual and comfortable, so I'm not too bothered by any grammatical errors/discrepancies here unless they create a legitimate barrier to comprehension. It's enough of a struggle sometimes simply putting why I do/don't love certain songs into words, let alone making sure that everything is punctuated perfectly too... :lol:

JSparksFan wrote:01.(01) Janet Jackson - Lonely
03.(03) Years & Years - Sanctify
05.(RE) Mariah Carey - The Beautiful Ones (feat. Dru Hill)
06.(04) Janet Jackson - That's the Way Love Goes
07.(RE) Janet Jackson - Doesn't Really Matter
08.(RE) Janet Jackson - Trust a Try
09.(05) Janet Jackson - If
11.(RE) Rita Ora - Anywhere
12.(RE) Mariah Carey - Triumphant (Get 'Em) (feat. Rick Ross & Meek Mill)
13.(RE) Kelly Clarkson - Love So Soft
15.(RE) Taylor Swift - Delicate
17.(14) Janet Jackson - Throb
18.(RE) Janet Jackson - Feedback
19.(RE) George Michael - Careless Whisper
• "Trust A Try" is a prime example of why the All For You era ended WAY too early (especially for an artist who used to milk her albums for 5+ singles!) Even though "Doesn't Really Matter" was included on the album, it was SO tied to Nutty Professor II: The Klumps and came out almost a year before "All For You" dropped, so it really felt like AFY only had 3 singles.
• Glad to see you're not punishing "Delicate" for getting selected for single status before GC ;) Although I'm personally pretty attached to "Delicate," I feel like both have about the same odds of success at this point in the album campaign: as in, if D continues her downward trend, I don't think GC could've salvaged the era either (but if D turns things around, maybe GC could've just as well - or could get its own chance to shine afterwards...?)

Yet another chart that's in good company, Akini! :D
phoenix98
Legend

Postby cheapthrills » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:39 pm

OK, if Janelle can't be there, I need Sanctify back on top :D

Did Unravel Me make it due to the tournament? :o

I like Delicate enough but it might take me a few listens to embrace it. :)

Emojis :roll: :evil: :cry:
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby JSparksFan » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:22 am

phoenix98 wrote: :o LOVE the shirt! The adorkableness of it almost does as much for me as the actual nerdy talk... ;)
It didn't hurt that he was easy on the eyes. :oops: :lol:

phoenix98 wrote:He definitely wound up as the biggest success from that season (sales/chart-wise, but I don't want to totally dismiss Ms. McPhee's TV stint), so your instincts were certainly on-the-mark!
I think his elimination is definitely one of the most shocking exits in American Idol history. It's right up there with J-Hud's departure.

phoenix98 wrote:**Nod** I'm all for recognizing and respecting a DJ's/producer's contributions, but to elevate them above a track's (only) vocalists just seems to trade one power imbalance for another. Assuming there ARE vocals, the singer has always been the "face" of the song - they're the one bringing the words to life on the recording and in any live performances. Admittedly, crediting the singer first also plays into my personal bias toward the importance of vocals on a track. (If I HAD to pick between an acapella track and an instrumental track, I'd go for acapella.)
Yep, I agree with everything.

phoenix98 wrote: :lol: At first I thought you quoted me by mistake, because I did NOT understand where all that was coming from! I've lived in the US my whole life, so I've been taught the American style, but sometimes I might accidentally slip into the British style due to my own faulty memory of the rules (or just a lack of proper proofreading). Since psychology was my primary focus in both undergrad and grad school, I had to use APA style the most, which states that periods and commas go inside quotation marks. As I'm reading through that link now, I'm realizing that I pretty much always do commas "wrong" here :oops: Sometimes, like you mentioned, I think it’s just been a case of me going with whatever looks/feels right in the moment.

I get that this is (obviously) a UK-based site, and people love the "There's no such thing as American English - just bad English" joke/mentality, but I find the way that languages evolve (both written and spoken) over time and across different regions to be pretty interesting. Although I try to utilize what I've learned, I like the idea of this site being casual and comfortable, so I'm not too bothered by any grammatical errors/discrepancies here unless they create a legitimate barrier to comprehension. It's enough of a struggle sometimes simply putting why I do/don't love certain songs into words, let alone making sure that everything is punctuated perfectly too... :lol:
Yeah, I can be a bit pedantic with language sometimes, and I typically favour British English rules to American English rules, but there are a few exceptions, and I do go back and forth between the two systems depending on what I'm comfortable/agree with. The absence of "u" in American words is my only gripe, but even there, I have to admit that some words look cleaner without the "u" such as "candor" for instance. It's weird because I grew up in an academic system that is British-based (English-wise) but the American influence is more pervasive in non-academia parts of the culture so that makes adhering to the rules complex, but I agree; once the message is not lost, who cares? We're here for a good time, not a rigidly-adherent-to-outdated-English-rules time.

phoenix98 wrote:• "Trust A Try" is a prime example of why the All For You era ended WAY too early (especially for an artist who used to milk her albums for 5+ singles!) Even though "Doesn't Really Matter" was included on the album, it was SO tied to Nutty Professor II: The Klumps and came out almost a year before "All For You" dropped, so it really felt like AFY only had 3 singles.
Oh my! :o Why did I think "Trust a Try" was a single? It definitely sounds like one, and it is strange that I'm so familiar with it despite not having heard All for You in full (yet). Hmm...what a way to throw away a potential chart-topper.

phoenix98 wrote:• Glad to see you're not punishing "Delicate" for getting selected for single status before GC ;) Although I'm personally pretty attached to "Delicate," I feel like both have about the same odds of success at this point in the album campaign: as in, if D continues her downward trend, I don't think GC could've salvaged the era either (but if D turns things around, maybe GC could've just as well - or could get its own chance to shine afterwards...?)
What I should be punishing it for is that awful video, but the song has grown on me. I get why so many people love it.

cheapthrills wrote:OK, if Janelle can't be there, I need Sanctify back on top :D

Did Unravel Me make it due to the tournament? :o

I like Delicate enough but it might take me a few listens to embrace it. :)

Emojis :roll: :evil: :cry:
Yep!

It'll be fun to see how the rest of the music industry manages to stack up against Janet over the next few months. It's basically Janet vs. the world at this point, and I'm not sure the world is favoured. :lol:

The Years & Years song, though, is so special to me. I love the video, I love the darker melody; it's really a great early gem from 2018.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:29 am

Monday's Top 20 (March 12th)

01.(RE) Janet Jackson - Rhythm Nation (Best Comeback)
02.(RE) Alicia Keys - In Common
03.(RE) Aretha Franklin - You're All I Need to Get By
04.(08) Janet Jackson - Trust a Try
05.(RE) ABBA - The Day Before You Came
06.(07) Janet Jackson - Doesn't Really Matter
07.(RE) ABBA - The Winner Takes It All
08.(03) Years & Years - Sanctify (Biggest Free Faller)
09.(RE) Janet Jackson - If It Takes All Night
10.(RE) ABBA - I Have a Dream
11.(17) Janet Jackson - Throb (Greatest Gainer)
12.(RE) Kacey Musgraves - Butterflies
13.(RE) Aretha Franklin - Think
14.(16) Kelsea Ballerini - I Hate Love Songs
15.(RE) Years & Years - Take Shelter
16.(RE) Janet Jackson - No Sleeep
17.(RE) Demi Lovato - Cool for the Summer
18.(RE) Shakira - Chantaje (feat. Maluma)
19.(NE) Cashmere Cat - Miss You (feat. Major Lazer & Tory Lanez) (Highest Debut)
20.(RE) Kacey Musgraves - Space Cowboy
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:54 am

Tuesday's Top 20 (March 13th)

01.(RE) Janet Jackson - That's the Way Love Goes (Best Comeback)
02.(RE) Janet Jackson - Lonely
03.(RE) Coldplay - Adventure of a Lifetime
04.(12) Kacey Musgraves - Butterflies (Greatest Gainer)
05.(RE) G-Eazy - No Limit (feat. A$AP Rocky, Cardi B, French Montana, Juicy J, & Belly)
06.(RE) Céline Dion - Encore un soir
07.(01) Janet Jackson - Rhythm Nation (Biggest Free Faller)
08.(RE) Lorde - Sober II (Melodrama)
09.(RE) Michael Jackson - Human Nature
10.(RE) Portugal. The Man - Feel It Still
11.(RE) Mariah Carey - Melt Away
12.(RE) Madonna - Rain
13.(RE) Little Big Town - Better Man
14.(RE) Carrie Underwood - Chaser
15.(RE) Ciara - Like a Boy
16.(RE) Lindsey Stirling - Crystallize
17.(RE) Passenger - Let Her Go
18.(RE) Nicola Roberts - Beat of My Drum
19.(RE) Jordin Sparks - Skipping a Beat
20.(RE) Lady Gaga - Dancin' in Circles
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby RayRay » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:31 pm

JSparksFan wrote:Tuesday's Top 20 (March 13th)

01.(RE) Janet Jackson - That's the Way Love Goes (Best Comeback)
02.(RE) Janet Jackson - Lonely

06.(RE) Céline Dion - Encore un soir
07.(01) Janet Jackson - Rhythm Nation (Biggest Free Faller)

11.(RE) Mariah Carey - Melt Away
12.(RE) Madonna - Rain
Great songs. :D
RayRay
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:51 am

RayRay wrote:Great songs. :D
Glad you like them! :D
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:57 am

Wednesday's Top 20 (March 14th)

01.(RE) Rihanna - Diamonds (Best Comeback)
02.(04) Kacey Musgraves - Butterflies (Greatest Gainer)
03.(RE) No Doubt - Push and Shove (feat. Busy Signal & Major Lazer)
04.(RE) Mariah Carey - Triumphant (Vintage Throwback Mix)
05.(RE) Sugababes - Push the Button
06.(RE) Carly Rae Jepsen - Run Away with Me
07.(RE) Rihanna - Umbrella (feat. Jay-Z)
08.(01) Janet Jackson - That's the Way Love Goes
09.(03) Coldplay - Adventure of a Lifetime
10.(RE) Britney Spears - Toxic
11.(RE) Drake - Take Care (feat. Rihanna)
12.(RE) Kelsea Ballerini - I Hate Love Song
13.(RE) Lenka - Heal
14.(RE) Alicia Keys - Hallelujah
15.(RE) Jones - Melt
16.(NE) Moby - Disco Lies (Highest Debut)
17.(RE) Bruno Mars - That's What I Like
18.(06) Céline Dion - Encore un soir (Biggest Free Faller)
19.(RE) Years & Years - Sanctify
20.(RE) Clean Bandit - Rather Be (feat. Jess Glynne)
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby cheapthrills » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:19 am

I know why some of those songs are in there :D

Nice to see Kacey weathering the Janet onslaught - she's one of my favorite (and few that I listen to) voices in country. :)

Lenka <3
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby RayRay » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:36 am

Great to see my favorite Triumphant remix return.
RayRay
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:35 am

cheapthrills wrote:I know why some of those songs are in there :D
:wink:

cheapthrills wrote:Nice to see Kacey weathering the Janet onslaught - she's one of my favorite (and few that I listen to) voices in country. :)
Same! Her songwriting is better than most in country music. It's Taylor Swift-esque, but unique enough that she doesn't come off as a poor man's version of T-Swizzle.

cheapthrills wrote:Lenka <3
Lovely song.

RayRay wrote:Great to see my favorite Triumphant remix return.
It's not quite as impressive as the original for me, but it's a lovely interpretation still.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:42 am

Thursday's Top 20 (March 15th)

01.(RE) Lady Gaga - Million Reasons (Best Comeback)
02.(03) No Doubt - Push and Shove (feat. Busy Signal & Major Lazer) (Greatest Gainer)
03.(02) Kacey Musgraves - Butterflies (Biggest Free Faller)
04.(04) Mariah Carey - Triumphant (Vintage Throwback Mix)
05.(RE) Justin Bieber - Sorry
06.(07) Rihanna - Umbrella (feat. Jay-Z)
07.(RE) Beyoncé - All I Could Do Was Cry
08.(RE) Mariah Carey - Faded
09.(RE) Miranda Lambert - Mama's Broken Heart
10.(RE) Brandy - No Such Thing as Too Late
11.(RE) Anastacia - Left Outside Alone
12.(RE) P!nk - Are We All We Are
13.(RE) Kylie Minogue - All the Lovers
14.(RE) Backstreet Boys - All I Have to Give
15.(RE) Christopher Cross - Arthur's Theme (The Best That You Can Do)
16.(RE) Hozier - Better Love
17.(RE) Keith Urban - Blue Ain't Your Colour
18.(RE) Michael Jackson - Billie Jean
19.(RE) Britney Spears - Blur
20.(RE) Demi Lovato - Body Say
JSparksFan
Legend

Return to Personal Charts