Akini's Daily Top 20: #1 It was all so overwhelming...

Moderators: JSparksFan, tdc2000, FreakyFlyBry

Postby JSparksFan » Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:08 am

phoenix98 wrote:HmMmM...I'd give the edge to "Love Me Like You Do," but I absolutely agree that "Lights" outshines "Burn."
Do you like "The Writer"?

phoenix98 wrote:Bringing back our brief B'Day discussion: I only have the standard US edition of the album + "Beautiful Liar" and "Flaws And All." Do you consider any of the other bonus/re-release tracks ("Creole," "Welcome To Hollywood," "World Wide Woman," etc.) to be "must haves"?
No, not at all. "Creole" is basic, and "World Wide Woman" is loud. "Welcome to Hollywood" is cute, though. It isn't anything special, but the chorus is catchy.

phoenix98 wrote: • Survivor effect? Not that you necessarily need any specific reason to revisit one of your absolute favorite songs of the year.
Actually, the word "linger" came up during the day, which got me to thinking about that line in "God Is a Woman". Then I just played the song on repeat for about half an hour or so. :lol:

phoenix98 wrote:• I was SO curious to see where "GTFO" would land, and a No. 4 debut seems...pretty solid? There's some respectable competition above it too. It might be that my expectations were set ESPECIALLY low after reading several Charmbracelet and Memoirs comparisons before actually hearing the track, but I'm kind of feeling it. In the context of her entire epic career, it doesn't fare so well, but as far as her 2010's output goes...I'm pretty pleased right now. EDIT: Found your comments over in the song's thread :x :cry: **Sigh** Well...at least we've had a shared appreciation of "Breathin" this year. <3
"GTFO" only debuted so high because I kept playing it trying to hear what the other fans were hearing. I feel like it's one of her emptiest tracks to date. Hardly anything happens melodically or vocally, and the lyrics aren't good either.

phoenix98 wrote:• Ha, is your No. 17 the reason you grew so fond of that word in the first place? ;)
Um, I don't think music is the place of origin of my appreciation for that word. :oops:

RayRay wrote:Great to see Mariah's new song entering your top 5. :D
I'm almost certain that yesterday was its first and last day there, but I hope "With You" is good.

cheapthrills wrote:I suppose it's not too unusual for artists to knock themselves out of #1, but that is still harsh fall for Breathin'

Have to admit I haven't rushed out to listen to GTFO, but I suppose I should see what the fuss is all about.
Yeah, big falls from #1 are totally normal; in fact, there have been more than a handful of #1 songs just falling out entirely the following day.

I think "GTFO" is one of the worst songs she's recorded in her career, but I'm in the minority on that one, so I'm curious to see what your reaction to it will be.
Franklin’s music profoundly touched and changed the world, because over and over it offered that bridge to salvation, to freedom.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:16 am

Friday's Top 20 (September 14th)

01.(NE) Carrie Underwood - Drinking Alone (Hot Shot Debut)
02.(RE) Pabllo Vittar - Problema Seu (Best Comeback)
03.(RE) Lana Del Rey - High by the Beach
04.(RE) Carrie Underwood - Cry Pretty
05.(RE) Lana Del Rey - West Coast
06.(NE) Carrie Underwood - Backsliding
07.(RE) Mariah Carey - The Roof
08.(03) Carrie Underwood - Love Wins
09.(02) Lana Del Rey - Mariners Apartment Complex
10.(RE) Carrie Underwood - The Champion (feat. Ludacris)
11.(RE) Britney Spears - Toxic
12.(NE) Fall Out Boy - West Coast Smoker
13.(RE) Lady Gaga - The Cure
14.(RE) Janet Jackson - Doesn't Really Matter
15.(RE) Azealia Banks - 212 (feat. Lazy Jay)
16.(RE) SZA - The Weekend
17.(RE) Janet Jackson - Velvet Rope
18.(NE) Carrie Underwood - The Bullet
19.(07) Mariah Carey - Slipping Away (Biggest Free Faller)
20.(NE) Carrie Underwood - End Up with You
Franklin’s music profoundly touched and changed the world, because over and over it offered that bridge to salvation, to freedom.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:47 am

Saturday's Top 20 (September 15th)

01.(NE) Tamia - Stranger in My House (Hot Shot Debut)
02.(01) Carrie Underwood - Drinking Alone
03.(08) Carrie Underwood - Love Wins
04.(10) Carrie Underwood - The Champion (feat. Ludacris) (Greatest Gainer)
05.(06) Carrie Underwood - Backsliding
06.(NE) Carrie Underwood - Kingdom
07.(RE) Ariana Grande - Breathin (Best Comeback)
08.(02) Pabllo Vittar - Problema Seu
09.(RE) Beyoncé - All Night
10.(RE) Jennifer Lopez - On the Floor (feat. Pitbull)
11.(05) Lana Del Rey - West Coast
12.(NE) Carrie Underwood - Ghosts on the Stereo
13.(RE) Ciara - Dance Like We're Making Love
14.(09) Lana Del Rey - Mariners Apartment Complex
15.(19) Mariah Carey - Slipping Away
16.(18) Carrie Underwood - The Bullet
17.(20) Carrie Underwood - End Up with You
18.(RE) Katy Perry - Walking on Air
19.(RE) Zayn & Taylor Swift - I Don’t Wanna Live Forever
20.(04) Carrie Underwood - Cry Pretty (Biggest Free Faller)
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:56 am

Sunday's Top 20 (September 16th)

01.(RE) Ariana Grande - God Is a Woman (Best Comeback)
02.(RE) Janet Jackson - Discipline
03.(02) Carrie Underwood - Drinking Alone
04.(03) Carrie Underwood - Love Wins
05.(NE) Sugababes - Denial (Highest Debut)
06.(07) Ariana Grande - Breathin
07.(RE) Ariana Grande - No Tears Left to Cry
08.(14) Lana Del Rey - Mariners Apartment Complex (Greatest Gainer)
09.(RE) Carrie Underwood - Little Toy Guns
10.(RE) The Temptations - Papa Was a Rollin' Stone
11.(RE) Aretha Franklin - Don't Play That Song (You Lied)
12.(RE) Bon Jovi - Livin' on a Prayer
13.(RE) BROCKHAMPTON - Star
14.(RE) Justin Timberlake - Filthy
15.(RE) 3OH!3 - Double Vision
16.(RE) Troye Sivan - Seventeen
17.(RE) Madonna - Devil Pray
18.(RE) Ariana Grande - Get Well Soon
19.(RE) Nicki Minaj - Good Form
20.(08) Pabllo Vittar - Problema Seu (Biggest Free Faller)
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:17 am

Flawless #1 and it's nice to see the other "Sweetener" singles on your chart. Btw, you can save "Get Well Soon" in the Ariana Grande Survivor this round!

I do love "Filthy", tbh, it's one of the better tracks on Justin's latest record.
Mainshow
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:09 am

Mainshow wrote:Flawless #1 and it's nice to see the other "Sweetener" singles on your chart. Btw, you can save "Get Well Soon" in the Ariana Grande Survivor this round!

I do love "Filthy", tbh, it's one of the better tracks on Justin's latest record.
Ah, I keep forgetting to visit the Survivor subfolder. Thanks for the reminder.

I never got around to listening to JT's album, but "Filthy" is decent, and "Say Something" is good.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:15 am

Monday's Top 20 (September 17th)

01.(RE) Mariah Carey - Meteorite (Best Comeback)
02.(RE) Carrie Underwood - Kingdom
03.(RE) Lana Del Rey - West Coast
04.(02) Janet Jackson - Discipline
05.(03) Carrie Underwood - Drinking Alone
06.(04) Carrie Underwood - Love Wins
07.(06) Ariana Grande - Breathin
08.(RE) Janet Jackson - I Get Lonely
09.(08) Lana Del Rey - Mariners Apartment Complex
10.(15) 3OH!3 - Double Vision (Greatest Gainer)
11.(09) Carrie Underwood - Little Toy Guns (Biggest Free Faller)
12.(RE) Lana Del Rey - High by the Beach
13.(RE) Janet Jackson - Rope Burn
14.(RE) Rihanna - Sledgehammer
15.(RE) Walk the Moon - Shut Up and Dance
16.(RE) Janet Jackson - BURNITUP! (feat. Missy Elliott)
17.(RE) Janet Jackson - Unbreakable
18.(RE) Mariah Carey - Slipping Away
19.(RE) Janet Jackson - Again
20.(RE) Years & Years - All for You
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby cheapthrills » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:11 am

Yay for 303! :D

I forgot Shut Up and Dance existed! :o
Vote for songs in the Summertime Madness Tournament!
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby Tansike » Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:38 pm

JSparksFan wrote:02.(RE) Carrie Underwood - Kingdom
03.(RE) Lana Del Rey - West Coast
05.(03) Carrie Underwood - Drinking Alone
12.(RE) Lana Del Rey - High by the Beach
14.(RE) Rihanna - Sledgehammer
Nice appearances for Carrie. I'm still not fully into the new album but it feels quite disappointing so far. It's not bad, but the last two were so strong... i definitely expected more. At least she's predicted to do over 200k in the US, which is fantastic!

Good to see "High By The Beach" re-entering. I loved it back then but i actually appreciate the song even more nowadays. It's definitely one of her finest songs ever to me now.

Love to see the underrated "Sledgehammer". This is a great tune and i wished it would have done better.
Tansike
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:15 pm

JSparksFan wrote:Do you like "The Writer"?
Hmmm...it's in the middle of the pack on Lights for me. It's a great example of her creative storytelling/way-with-words that kind of fell by the wayside on Halcyon Days and Delirium, and it has some really lovely/memorable lines ("I try out a smile, and I aim it at you, you must have missed it, you always do..."), but I think the single selections that era were pretty odd (especially going with "Guns And Horses" and "The Writer" as the follow-ups to her breakthrough "Starry Eyed"). There's definitely other moments on Lights that I personally prefer and probably would've fared better on the charts. Do you like it when Daddy makes you out of clay, and decides the words you say? ;)

JSparksFan wrote:Um, I don't think music is the place of origin of my appreciation for that word. :oops:
:o If only UKMIX were a place where you could share every juicy detail of what's surely a salacious story...

JSparksFan wrote:01.(RE) Mariah Carey - Meteorite (Best Comeback)
02.(RE) Carrie Underwood - Kingdom
04.(02) Janet Jackson - Discipline
08.(RE) Janet Jackson - I Get Lonely
13.(RE) Janet Jackson - Rope Burn
17.(RE) Janet Jackson - Unbreakable
18.(RE) Mariah Carey - Slipping Away
19.(RE) Janet Jackson - Again
• Still so dismayed by your reaction to "GTFO" :x :cry: but this sky-high re-entry for "Meteorite" is a nice distraction! "GTFO" has sent me on a bit of a Mariah bender, and I was definitely too quick to disparage her 2010's output here the other day. I still enjoy most of MIAM, and "Meteorite" is among the top highlights.
• Carrie sounds SO lovely on "Kingdom." There's some parts of the story she's telling that keep me from getting fully on-board with the track right now, but I do like the notion of appreciating the home/life you've built with your family as an adult. Creating a safe, special space for yourself and your loved ones, whatever that may look like.
• Ooh...you're book-ended with awesome reappearances! Video effect?

Yet another dazzling chart, Akini! :D
phoenix98
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:29 am

cheapthrills wrote:Yay for 303! :D

They're from your home state, right? :D

Aw, it's too cute for me to forget.

Tansike wrote:Nice appearances for Carrie. I'm still not fully into the new album but it feels quite disappointing so far. It's not bad, but the last two were so strong... i definitely expected more. At least she's predicted to do over 200k in the US, which is fantastic!

Good to see "High By The Beach" re-entering. I loved it back then but i actually appreciate the song even more nowadays. It's definitely one of her finest songs ever to me now.

Love to see the underrated "Sledgehammer". This is a great tune and i wished it would have done better.
I hope it grows on you. I was a little disappointed that the album didn't have a "Blown Away" or "Church Bells"-level stunner on it, but it's solid from beginning to end, with a handful of above-average highlights.

Yeah, it's one of her most hypnotic tracks, which is saying something about a Lana Del Rey song!

Yeah, the song definitely deserved more success.

phoenix98 wrote:Hmmm...it's in the middle of the pack on Lights for me. It's a great example of her creative storytelling/way-with-words that kind of fell by the wayside on Halcyon Days and Delirium, and it has some really lovely/memorable lines ("I try out a smile, and I aim it at you, you must have missed it, you always do..."), but I think the single selections that era were pretty odd (especially going with "Guns And Horses" and "The Writer" as the follow-ups to her breakthrough "Starry Eyed"). There's definitely other moments on Lights that I personally prefer and probably would've fared better on the charts. Do you like it when Daddy makes you out of clay, and decides the words you say? ;)
I should probably revisit the album. I remember listening to most (or all, I'm not sure) of the tracks, and not really finding much that I liked.

You're clever. :lol:

phoenix98 wrote: :o If only UKMIX were a place where you could share every juicy detail of what's surely a salacious story...
Buy If Only on iTunes. :lol:

phoenix98 wrote:• Still so dismayed by your reaction to "GTFO" :x :cry: but this sky-high re-entry for "Meteorite" is a nice distraction! "GTFO" has sent me on a bit of a Mariah bender, and I was definitely too quick to disparage her 2010's output here the other day. I still enjoy most of MIAM, and "Meteorite" is among the top highlights.
Yeah, I think I played "GTFO" at least a dozen times, and I still think it's one of the worst songs of the year. "Meteorite" is fantastic, though.

phoenix98 wrote:Carrie sounds SO lovely on "Kingdom." There's some parts of the story she's telling that keep me from getting fully on-board with the track right now, but I do like the notion of appreciating the home/life you've built with your family as an adult. Creating a safe, special space for yourself and your loved ones, whatever that may look like.
Your accuracy is outstanding. My thoughts exactly.

phoenix98 wrote:• Ooh...you're book-ended with awesome reappearances! Video effect?
I actually didn't watch the video, but it popped up on my YouTube recommendations, so that made me listen to the song. I just watched the video tonight, and it's okay.

phoenix98 wrote:Yet another dazzling chart, Akini! :D
Thanks, Paul!
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:36 am

Tuesday's Top 20 (September 18th)

01.(RE) Britney Spears - Gimme More (Best Comeback)
02.(05) Carrie Underwood - Drinking Alone (Greatest Gainer)
03.(RE) Lady Gaga - Bad Romance
04.(01) Mariah Carey - Meteorite (Biggest Free Faller)
05.(RE) Rihanna - Stay (feat. Mikky Ekko)
06.(RE) Ariana Grande - God Is a Woman
07.(07) Ariana Grande - Breathin
08.(RE) Tracy Chapman - Fast Car
09.(RE) KT Tunstall - Black Horse and the Cherry Tree
10.(RE) Tamia - Stranger in My House
11.(NE) Rose Royce - Wishing on a Star (Highest Debut)
12.(RE) Lady Gaga - Telephone (feat. Beyoncé)
13.(RE) Janet Jackson - That's the Way Love Goes
14.(RE) Phil Ochs - I Ain't Marching Anymore
15.(NE) Radiant Children - Go Left
16.(RE) Rihanna - Bitch Better Have My Money
17.(RE) Lady Gaga - ARTPOP
18.(RE) Coldplay - Fix You
19.(RE) Janet Jackson - Velvet Rope
20.(RE) Lily Allen - F**k You
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby cheapthrills » Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:46 am

JSparksFan wrote:
cheapthrills wrote:Yay for 303! :D

They're from your home state, right? :D

Aw, it's too cute for me to forget.
Yes they are - that's my area code :D One of the few from here to have a big hit :)

So I listened to GTFO and no, it's not for me. :P
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby Mainshow » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:45 pm

Yay! Finally, another day for Britney being number-one.
Did "Gimme More" get back to your number one spot because of its alleged rehearsal footage which is about to leak?
Nice to see "Bad Romance", "Stay", "God IS A Woman", "Breathin", "Telephone" (this song just appeared on my MAinshow Goes Diva Countdown xD), "Bitch Better Have My Money", "Artpop" (the best song on a mediocre album), "Fix you" and "F**k You" on your chart! - Sop many great songs today!
It's a 10/20 for me.
Mainshow
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:22 am

cheapthrills wrote:Yes they are - that's my area code :D One of the few from here to have a big hit :)

So I listened to GTFO and no, it's not for me. :P
Oh, I didn't know their name was a Colorado area code. You learn something new every day. :D

Yeah, "GTFO" is not for me either.

Mainshow wrote:Yay! Finally, another day for Britney being number-one.
Did "Gimme More" get back to your number one spot because of its alleged rehearsal footage which is about to leak?
Nice to see "Bad Romance", "Stay", "God IS A Woman", "Breathin", "Telephone" (this song just appeared on my MAinshow Goes Diva Countdown xD), "Bitch Better Have My Money", "Artpop" (the best song on a mediocre album), "Fix you" and "F**k You" on your chart! - Sop many great songs today!
It's a 10/20 for me.
I actually haven't heard about the rehearsal footage potentially leaking. I'll watch it if it comes out, but I'm not really curious to see it.

Glad the chart is at least half killer for you!
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:28 am

Wednesday's Top 20 (September 19th)

01.(07) Ariana Grande - Breathin
02.(01) Britney Spears - Gimme More (Biggest Free Faller)
03.(RE) Adele - River Lea (Best Comeback)
04.(RE) Lana Del Rey - High by the Beach
05.(RE) Carrie Underwood - Cry Pretty
06.(RE) Lady Gaga - Poker Face
07.(15) Radiant Children - Go Left (Greatest Gainer)
08.(RE) Adele - Million Years Ago
09.(RE) Miranda Lambert - Vice
10.(RE) CeeLo Green - F**k You
11.(RE) Mariah Carey - Meteorite
12.(RE) Carrie Underwood - Little Toy Guns
13.(RE) Taylor Swift - All Too Well
14.(RE) Kelly Clarkson - Good Goes the Bye
15.(RE) Florence + the Machine - No Light, No Light
16.(RE) Company Cast - Getting Marred Today
17.(RE) Britney Spears - If U Seek Amy
18.(RE) Adele - Hello
19.(RE) Taylor Swift - Speak Now
20.(RE) Carrie Underwood - Kingdom
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby cheapthrills » Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:10 pm

Million Years Ago should have been a single.
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby Mainshow » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:17 pm

I am not eager to see that footage of Britney's Gimme More rehearsal either. I think that her hardcore fans believe in something like a "killer rehearsal" and some strange shit happening to her between that and the notorious live performance but tbh, it will just end up being the same (just her with a different hair-do haha).

hahahah! I can't at "Gimme More" being the "Biggest Free Faller" whilst it was just moving one place :D

"Poker Face" is a great tune! - Do you think it will be part of my Top 2 ("Mainshow Goes Diva")? - It was massive back then!
"Breathin'" is an awesome #1. I am a bit sad that we will never get a music video for this perfect track.
"If U Seek Amy" is iconic!!!!! - And I love to see the Adele tracks on your chart as well as "High By The Beach" (her new lead single is fierce, too!)
Mainshow
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:39 am

cheapthrills wrote:Million Years Ago should have been a single.
Yeah, I think it's probably her most relatable song for me, and I'm sure it would've connected with millions more were it released as a single.

Mainshow wrote:I am not eager to see that footage of Britney's Gimme More rehearsal either. I think that her hardcore fans believe in something like a "killer rehearsal" and some strange shit happening to her between that and the notorious live performance but tbh, it will just end up being the same (just her with a different hair-do haha).

hahahah! I can't at "Gimme More" being the "Biggest Free Faller" whilst it was just moving one place :D

"Poker Face" is a great tune! - Do you think it will be part of my Top 2 ("Mainshow Goes Diva")? - It was massive back then!
"Breathin'" is an awesome #1. I am a bit sad that we will never get a music video for this perfect track.
"If U Seek Amy" is iconic!!!!! - And I love to see the Adele tracks on your chart as well as "High By The Beach" (her new lead single is fierce, too!)
I agree, but I guess it getting released will be good to confirm with fans whether they're right or not.

We will see! Your lists are surprising, so I never try to predict them. "Poker Face" is one of my favourite songs of all-time, though. I think it was among my top 30 when I did my all-time favourite songs countdown in 2013.

I remember being so excited about "If U Seek Amy" and its double entendre. I still think it's one of the cleverest pop songs written.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:46 am

Thursday's Top 20 (September 20th)

01.(RE) Lily Allen - F**k You (Best Comeback)
02.(10) CeeLo Green - F**k You (Greatest Gainer)
03.(RE) Gnarls Barkley - Crazy
04.(RE) Natasha Bedingfield - Unwritten
05.(01) Ariana Grande - Breathin (Biggest Free Faller)
06.(RE) Lana Del Rey - West Coast
07.(RE) Reba McEntire - Fancy
08.(RE) Demi Lovato - Behind Enemy Lines
09.(RE) Ariana Grande - God Is a Woman
10.(RE) Lana Del Rey - Mariners Apartment Complex
11.(11) Mariah Carey - Meteorite
12.(RE) Maroon 5 - Cold
13.(RE) Frank Sinatra - Fly Me to the Moon
14.(NE) Avril Lavigne - Head Above Water (Highest Debut)
15.(RE) Florence + the Machine - What the Water Gave Me
16.(RE) Rob Dougan - Furious Angels
17.(RE) Nicki Minaj - Come See About Me
18.(RE) Britney Spears - Hard to Forget Ya
19.(RE) Years & Years - Meteorite
20.(RE) Rihanna - Music of the Sun
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:15 pm

JSparksFan wrote:I should probably revisit the album. I remember listening to most (or all, I'm not sure) of the tracks, and not really finding much that I liked.
Were you asking about "The Writer" because it was one of the few exceptions? Did anything besides that and the title track catch your ear?

JSparksFan wrote:Buy If Only on iTunes. :lol:
As if I didn't scoop up that (underrated/needlessly-shat-upon) album the day it dropped. 8-)

I'm all for any extra Kylie promo, though, so plug away!

JSparksFan wrote:Yeah, I think I played "GTFO" at least a dozen times, and I still think it's one of the worst songs of the year. "Meteorite" is fantastic, though.
I appreciate you giving it a genuine try (twelve times over). Maybe after a week (or month), returning to it with fresh ears will elicit a different response? I can dream, anyway. :cry:

JSparksFan wrote:Your accuracy is outstanding. My thoughts exactly.
**Bows** I have my moments...

JSparksFan wrote:I actually didn't watch the video, but it popped up on my YouTube recommendations, so that made me listen to the song. I just watched the video tonight, and it's okay.
...though I clearly need to stop guessing why songs are re-entering. :lol:

JSparksFan wrote:01.(RE) Lily Allen - F**k You (Best Comeback)
02.(10) CeeLo Green - F**k You (Greatest Gainer)
03.(RE) Gnarls Barkley - Crazy
04.(RE) Natasha Bedingfield - Unwritten
05.(01) Ariana Grande - Breathin (Biggest Free Faller)
09.(RE) Ariana Grande - God Is a Woman
10.(RE) Lana Del Rey - Mariners Apartment Complex
11.(11) Mariah Carey - Meteorite
12.(RE) Maroon 5 - Cold
13.(RE) Frank Sinatra - Fly Me to the Moon
14.(NE) Avril Lavigne - Head Above Water (Highest Debut)
18.(RE) Britney Spears - Hard to Forget Ya
19.(RE) Years & Years - Meteorite
20.(RE) Rihanna - Music of the Sun
• We've got an especially themed/coordinated chart here: double "F**k," double "Meteorite," double "Water," "Sun" and "Moon"...
• Whatever the reason for its re-appearance, "F**k You" is always a satisfying song to revisit! I just had It's Not Me, It's You on the brain the other day when Tansike brought up the also-awesome "Not Fair" over in his thread.
• I've seen this mentioned a few times around UKMIX, but there really is something about the "Head Above Water" chorus that feels kind of underwhelming compared to the verses. I still like the song well enough overall, but that payoff is a little lacking. Its release inspired me to revisit some of her older ballads, and I'd forgotten just how many excellent ones she's given us: "Why," "Nobody's Home," "Fall To Pieces," "Slipped Away," "Keep Holding On," "I Will Be," "Push," and many more!

Yet another chart that I definitely give a f**k about, Akini! :D
phoenix98
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:51 pm

phoenix98 wrote:Were you asking about "The Writer" because it was one of the few exceptions? Did anything besides that and the title track catch your ear?
"Lights" and "The Writer" are definitely my top 2, but I also remember liking "This Love (Will Be Your Downfall)", "Under the Sheets", and "I'll Hold My Breath".

phoenix98 wrote:I appreciate you giving it a genuine try (twelve times over). Maybe after a week (or month), returning to it with fresh ears will elicit a different response? I can dream, anyway. :cry:
Maybe. It is Mariah after all.

phoenix98 wrote:**Bows** I have my moments...
8-)

phoenix98 wrote:• We've got an especially themed/coordinated chart here: double "F**k," double "Meteorite," double "Water," "Sun" and "Moon"...
I didn't even notice most of those! :lol:

phoenix98 wrote: • Whatever the reason for its re-appearance, "F**k You" is always a satisfying song to revisit! I just had It's Not Me, It's You on the brain the other day when Tansike brought up the also-awesome "Not Fair" over in his thread.
Work is responsible for the two "F**k You" songs, but it is a great song on its own indeed.

phoenix98 wrote:• I've seen this mentioned a few times around UKMIX, but there really is something about the "Head Above Water" chorus that feels kind of underwhelming compared to the verses. I still like the song well enough overall, but that payoff is a little lacking. Its release inspired me to revisit some of her older ballads, and I'd forgotten just how many excellent ones she's given us: "Why," "Nobody's Home," "Fall To Pieces," "Slipped Away," "Keep Holding On," "I Will Be," "Push," and many more!
I think I only listened to "Head Above Water" once, and I thought it was decent. I'll need to play it a few more times to form a proper opinion on it.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:57 pm

Friday's Top 20 (September 21st)

01.(RE) Rihanna - Stay (feat. Mikky Ekko) (Best Comeback)
02.(03) Gnarls Barkley - Crazy (Greatest Gainer)
03.(NE) Pardison Fontaine - Backin' It Up (feat. Cardi B) (Highest Debut)
04.(RE) Lorde - Homemade Dynamite
05.(RE) Lady Gaga - Born This Way
06.(RE) Niall Horan - Slow Hands
07.(RE) Lorde - Sober II (Melodrama)
08.(RE) Adele - Million Years Ago
09.(RE) Lorde - Sober
10.(01) Lily Allen - F**k You (Biggest Free Faller)
11.(RE) Lana Del Rey - Born to Die
12.(RE) Madonna - Deeper and Deeper
13.(RE) Lorde - Green Light
14.(RE) Destiny's Child - Survivor
15.(RE) Gloria Gaynor - I Will Survive
16.(RE) Frank Ocean - Thinkin Bout You
17.(RE) Mika - Rain
18.(RE) Taylor Swift - Call It What You Want
19.(RE) Lana Del Rey - Love
20.(RE) Portugal. The Man - Feel It Still
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:46 am

Saturday's Top 20 (September 22nd)

01.(RE) Coldplay - Adventure of a Lifetime (Best Comeback)
02.(RE) Carrie Underwood - Renegade Runaway
03.(NE) Rita Ora - Let You Love Me (Highest Debut)
04.(RE) Lady Gaga - ARTPOP
05.(RE) Carrie Underwood - Drinking Alone
06.(RE) Kylie Minogue - Chocolate
07.(NE) BoA - One Shot, Two Shot
08.(NE) Eminem - Lucky You (feat. Joyner Lucas)
09.(RE) Janet Jackson - I Get Lonely
10.(NE) Eminem - The Ringer
11.(RE) Maroon 5 - Payphone
12.(RE) Céline Dion - A New Day Has Come
13.(NE) Elton John - Town of Plenty
14.(RE) Céline Dion - Encore un soir
15.(RE) Little Big Town - Better Man
16.(RE) Carrie Underwood - Last Name
17.(RE) Nicki Minaj - Good Form
18.(RE) Aretha Franklin - (You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman
19.(RE) Troye Sivan - Bloom
20.(RE) Lana Del Rey - Mariners Apartment Complex
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:55 am

Sunday's Top 20 (September 23rd)

01.(06) Kylie Minogue - Chocolate (Greatest Gainer)
02.(RE) Rihanna - Kiss It Better (Best Comeback)
03.(RE) Cher - Strong Enough
04.(RE) Beyoncé - All Night
05.(RE) Janelle Monáe - Don't Judge Me
06.(RE) Tamia - Stranger in My House
07.(RE) Mary J. Blige - I Can Do Bad All by Myself
08.(RE) Mary Mary - Shackles (Praise You)
09.(RE) Rihanna - Needed Me
10.(RE) Madonna - Deeper and Deeper
11.(RE) Fifth Harmony - Work from Home
12.(03) Rita Ora - Let You Love Me (Biggest Free Faller)
13.(RE) Britney Spears - Gimme More
14.(RE) Years & Years - Sanctify
15.(RE) David Guetta - Titanium (feat. Sia)
16.(RE) Whitney Houston - Exhale (Shoop Shoop)
17.(RE) Madonna - Music
18.(12) Céline Dion - A New Day Has Come
19.(RE) Avril Lavigne - Head Above Water
20.(RE) Leona Lewis - Better in Time
JSparksFan
Legend

Return to Personal Charts