Paulboard Top 30 | 09.14.18 | but it's only sometimes...

Moderators: JSparksFan, tdc2000, FreakyFlyBry

Postby phoenix98 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:50 pm

Fan wrote:Haha, well I don't know but I have never really been into Lee I have to say :oops: He looks a bit... basic?
I know, when I saw the behind-the-scenes picture, I actually felt so excited because it looked like it was going to be an exciting one. But turned out I was wrong :lol: And it also doesn't seem to find the song at all.
Yeah- that's what I was wondering as well!! Should be, right?
:o Basic? BASIC?!?! :evil: :evil: :evil: Surely something got lost in translation there, and you meant to say "classically handsome"...or you're referring to his personality. I've never seen any of his interviews, so you might be right about that :lol: Bawdy aside (which is absolutely god-like), his smile alone is simply diviiiine. I was re-watching the "Story Of A Heart" video yesterday and could barely keep my sh*t together when he does that ridiculously adorkable dance routine toward the end...

Fan wrote:I do feel like a very old man sometimes, when it comes to chart music. Used to follow the chart all the time, from various countries, but just got so bored with most of the music these days. I usually discover new music on these forum actually. Or just Twitter and such things. I think I first heard about Mabel here as well actually!
Eh, your age might not be entirely to blame, since I think the public's stagnant streaming habits have definitely made official charts less fun to follow. There's been too many weeks lately where nearly the entire Hot 100 Top 10 remained exactly in place from the previous week, and it's a big event now when 2+ songs manage to enter that region in any given week.

Did you find Mabel on somebody's personal chart, or were there already threads for her?

Fan wrote:I think I was a very early Rita fan indeed. Hot Right Now was always a tune for me, but I fell in love with R.I.P. Surprised to read you didn't like that one! I am actually listening to it right now and it still sounds soo fresh. Tinie's his rap is just so cool and Rita sounds so strong and delivers the song with so much additude <3 Love that song.
I haven't seen her live before, no. So very excited. Always enjoy seeing her performances, she has a good stage presence.
I wasn't really paying much attention to Rita at the time, but "R.I.P." had always struck me as a fairly shocking "debut" single choice (especially since they had the MUCH more infectious "How We Do" waiting in the wings) until JakeP provided some context a little while ago. I'm not quoting him perfectly here, since I can't recall his exact words, but it was something along the lines of how she was originally presented as very edgy/anti-mainstream, and "R.I.P." is fairly fitting for that (since the chorus isn't catchy in the slightest....) It's like "R.I.P." is the H and "How We Do"' is the Lee! ;)

Fan wrote:I understand what you mean with streaming :lol: There is so many music to listen to that you sometimes don't even know where to start! But let me know when you listened to some of Mabel's stuff, will be curious to hear if you liked it as much as Finders Keepers.
As much as I've been enjoying "Finders Keepers", the rest of Mabel's work will have to wait at least a little longer, since this week is obviously all about Tay (and I'm still enjoying the albums I added last week.) Maybe next week...?

If only we lived close enough, you could host a Mabel listening party and treat me to an expertly-curated playlist of her best work!

Fan wrote:He he, thanks! Good to hear you like The Loving Kind as well. The Show and Love Machine have never been my favourites to be honest :oops: I mean, I like them quite a lot but the girls have such a strong back catalogue that I prefer a lot of their other singles.
Aw, they're such perky, flirty fun <3 "The Show" also offers that unconventional song structure (setting the stage for "Biology", perhaps?) and "Love Machine" gave swing a perfect modern twist (with delightfully daft lyrics.)

Fan wrote:I decided to check out that Liam song because it's your #1, but it is absolutely dire!! :oops: Sorry, sorry. But it has to be one of the worst songs I have heard this year.

Haven't had the time to check out Kelly's record, but you seem to like it quite a bit? Love So Soft is a nice song though.
:lol: What?! One of the worst songs in ALL of 2017? Granted, you did say that you don't check out many chart hits these days, so you must not have heard some of 2017's biggest Hot 100 hits. As Jake pointed out, Liam's falsetto in the chorus is quite reminiscent of Adam Levine and Jason Derülo, so if you're not a fan of either of their work, that wouldn't help matters. :x

It's not the Kelly that I love...but I knew that going into it, and Kelly clearly didn't love being the Kelly that I loved, so a part of me appreciates that she pulled me a little outside of my comfort zone with this more soulful album. There's an energy/attitude throughout many of the songs that kept me coming back, and although I still prefer her pop/rock and pop/dance-leaning material, I managed to find some genuine enjoyment in this side of her as well. She's going to virtually disappear on my next chart, but that's more due to the influx of "new" albums (new to me anyway) than me abruptly losing interest in Meaning Of Life.

Thanks again, Fan!
phoenix98
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:55 pm

bluecherry wrote:Some great songs this week! I really like the Liam song (more than his last single), although the only 1D #1 for me (so far) has been 'PILLOW TALK'. Great to see Rita still doing phenomenally! Some other good tracks on your charts (as above).
I'm really glad to see some more love for "Bedroom Floor", since it's been the target of quite a bit of hate :x :lol: Ah, "PILLOWTALK" does seem well-suited to your tastes! Did you check out/enjoy Mind Of Mine overall? I slightly preferred "Like I Would" to "PILLOWTALK", but neither pushed me to give his whole album a listen. Flicker stands as the only post-1D-solo-album I've heard in full.

Thanks again, blue! :D
phoenix98
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:00 pm

Paulboard Top 30
Chart Date: 11/10/17

• During a deluge of debuts, Rachel Platten's Waves drowns out the competition and allows her to snag her third No. 1 with "Loose Ends."

TW | LW | WKS ON | TITLE | ARTIST | PEAK | CERT

01 (NE) 01 | "Loose Ends" - Rachel Platten | 1 (1)
02 (NE) 01 | "Collide" - Rachel Platten | 2 (1)
03 (NE) 01 | "Garden (Say It Like Dat)" - SZA | 3
04 (NE) 01 | "Seeing Blind" - Niall Horan ft. Maren Morris | 4
05 (NE) 01 | "Wait" - Maroon 5 | 5
06 (NE) 01 | "Shivers" - Rachel Platten | 6
07 (NE) 01 | "Whole Heart" - Rachel Platten | 7
08 (NE) 01 | "Since We're Alone" - Niall Horan | 8
09 (02) 03 | "Anywhere" - Rita Ora | 1 (1) | [G]
10 (01) 03 | "Bedroom Floor" - Liam Payne | 1 (1) | [G]
11 (NE) 01 | "Grace" - Rachel Platten | 11
12 (NE) 01 | "Labels" - Rachel Platten | 12
13 (NE) 01 | "Who I Am" - Maroon 5 ft. LunchMoney Lewis | 13
14 (RE) 08 | "What Lovers Do" - Maroon 5 ft. SZA | 1 (1) | [2xP]
15 (NE) 01 | "Keep Up" - Rachel Platten | 15
16 (16) 05 | "Perfect For You" - Rachel Platten | 1 (1) | [G]
17 (NE) 01 | "Girls Like You" - Maroon 5 | 17
18 (NE) 01 | "Denim Jacket" - Maroon 5 | 18
19 (03) 06 | "Love So Soft" - Kelly Clarkson | 3 | [G]
20 (13) 02 | "Wolves" - Selena Gomez ft. Marshmello | 13
21 (RE) 11 | "Broken Glass" - Rachel Platten | 1 (1) | [P]
22 (NE) 01 | "Fire Away" - Niall Horan | 22
23 (NE) 01 | "Flicker" - Niall Horan | 23
24 (NE) 01 | "Mirrors" - Niall Horan | 24
25 (NE) 01 | "Paper Houses" - Niall Horan | 24
26 (10) 02 | "Would You Call That Love" - Kelly Clarkson | 10
27 (07) 03 | "Finders Keepers" - Mabel ft. Kojo Funds | 4
28 (06) 04 | "You Are" - GOT7 | 1 (1) | [G]
29 (NE) 01 | "Bet My Heart" - Maroon 5 | 29
30 (NE) 01 | "Loveback" - Rachel Platten | 30

[GOLD] = 25+ total plays
[PLAT] = 50+ total plays
phoenix98
Legend

Postby bluecherry » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:09 pm

Wow! Great to see ‘Garden’ in the top three - I’m guessing that might be my influence? If so I’m actually so happy I’ve finally had an impact on someone’s charts!

Loving seeing you enjoy Rachel - I haven’t checked out the album yet but seeing your positive reaction is tempting me. It seems she, Niall and Maroon 5 are all having good weeks thanks to their album releases.

This is the first time I’ve seen your chart lately without Terror Jr!

And I’d recommend listening to “sHe” if you enjoyed “Like I Would”. I enjoyed the album!

Yet again, another chart that is great to read!!
♡ i bloom just for you ♡

bluecherry
Manager

Postby Tansike » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:46 pm

phoenix98 wrote: :lol: Noooo worries! I love and appreciate that you're so thorough, but I don't want you feeling like you have to respond to everything you've missed whenever you post here! I worry that could have a negative compounding effect (where every time you miss a week, you'll want to comment even less, because there's more and more to catch up on...)
Ah no, that wouldn’t be (and also isn’t) the case. I really love to catch up to see what I ‘missed’ :)

phoenix98 wrote:**Fingers crossed** "Havana" can still pull that off here in the US! I was wondering if "Walk On Water" could pose a serious threat, but its iTunes lead isn't that massive. I guess it's been a while since Eminem had a smash without Rihanna, so I might've over-estimated its hit potential. Regardless of who takes over next, I'm just ready to see "Rockstar" step aside... :lol:
“Walk On Water” seems to be quite frontloaded, which is not surprising since it’s Eminem’s comeback and has Beyoncé featured, but I really don’t see this becoming a big hit. “Havana” may get there next week, as long as Post Malone won’t release a video or so for his song. Speaking about “Rockstar”… I never heard it so far, despite it being such a huge hit everywhere… :oops:

phoenix98 wrote:Ha, yeah, that was back before I'd seen her whole discography for your chart, so I was just going off how I knew "Stand By You" had gone to No. 1 and "Fight Song" hadn't. I might've already known that "Fight Song" missed your Top 10 entirely too, which made SBY seem like the much bigger hit until I learned about their chart runs. Any rate, I'm VERY glad to know now that both "Broken Glass" and "Perfect For You" eclipse "Stand By You", since that's totally true for me too! ;)

Hmmm, "Congratulations" sounds a bit...darker, almost? It's definitely more...subdued than the likes of "Fight Song", "Broken Glass", "Perfect For You", etc. There also seems to be a slight Middle Eastern influence in some parts? I REALLY need to work on my music description vocabulary :lol: but hopefully you get what I mean!

YES! You'll be seeing a lot of/most of Waves on my latest chart. :D
Glad to hear we share these thoughts about “Stand By You” and the two new singles :D
I’m already excited to see which one would be the third single, if she releases one. Very tough decision as there’s a lot good stuff on “Waves”…

Yep, definitely, probably also a reason why I like it so much. “Congratulations” and “Lone Ranger” are by far my favorite songs on “Wildfire”, and while I prefer “Waves” over “Wildfire” now as a whole, none of the new songs are as good as these two for me. And don’t worry, I completely got what you meant, and you did a good job and describing it :)

Yay! :D

phoenix98 wrote:Ah, that does help explain how you found the time to comment that much...but it still required some mighty impressive endurance and focus to comment on that many charts in one sitting! I get distracted/ready to move onto something other than UKMIX after commenting on just one or two charts... :oops: :lol:

Aw. It's very kind of you to protect your partner's reputation/honor like that. ;)
It was actually quite easy. It started with opening a new internet tab for EVERY personal chart, so I had like 50 tabs or so open and then I clicked through them, checked the chart out and left a comment if there’s something I like (which I usually always did). So if I need to do something else for work or am currently too tired to do it, I can make a break… just leaving the internet window with all the tabs open so I still know which one I still want to make a comment on.
I would love to do that again but time is not my friend it seems.

:P

phoenix98 wrote:Ah, I should've known your crush on Gaga would give her an edge! Damn, Miley KILLED "Bad Mood" :o I haven't checked out many of her live performances before, but she can clearly pull off more with her voice than I would've expected! She also looks STUNNING in that dress (and the longer hair really suits her.) "Bad Mood" wouldn't have been one of my top picks for a potential third single (I would've gone with "Thinkin" or "Love Someone" before this), but that performance definitely helped me see its potential more. It's crazy that they're completely pulling the plug on the era already...
Well Miley and Kesha are both huge artists for me too so I don’t think it has to do with my past crush on GaGa :oops: I know, right?! :o If she would do a similar live performance on other shows like the AMA or the Grammy it could become a big hit for her. I’m glad you enjoyed that performance so much :D

Tansike wrote:Oh, you can count on some 8-) More than some...

Ah, now that's interesting, because I'm actually feeling Red Pill Blues less than their last couple albums - so by winning you over, they've pushed me away a bit :lol: I'll definitely keep revisiting the album in the coming weeks, though, in case some of these tracks are growers for me. I'm glad we're both drawn to "What Lovers Do", though!

I still can't really get into the chorus of "Believer", but the pacing of that "but they never did, ever lived..." part got stuck in my head for a while.
:cool:

Oh, I didn’t mean they won me over. It’s just that I enjoyed it, more than I enjoyed their last album(s) which is a huge plus for them because I never really liked them. The album will still have an awful second week on my charts… :oops:

The chorus is definitely not for everyone, but still very catchy. Glad the song still has its part for you :)

phoenix98 wrote:Yeah, that Younger Now/Rainbow comparison I drew in my mind inspired me to revisit the latter. "Learn To Let Go" makes sense. It wouldn't have been my first choice (I think "Let 'Em Talk" is catchy enough to work, and really switches up the tempo after "Praying"...or "Boots." I love "Hymn", but it might be a bit too slow to push right after "Praying.") I'm relieved they didn't go with a totally bizarre choice, at least!

At first I was surprised by all the hate for "Revenge"...but after a while, I started to see how the things about it that seemed really catchy and fun at first can get pretty annoying pretty quickly. It looks like they might be changing their mind, and I'm totally fine with that - especially if they push the title track instead! ;)
Just imagine if they would have picked the title track or something like “Spaceship” :lol: They’re not bad but I think they would have been these bizarre choices, right? Anyways, yes, I would have been here for “Boots” and “Hymn” as well, while I think “Let ‘Em Talk” would have been too ‘simple’, if that makes sense. Here’s hope “Learn To Let Go” becomes a surprising hit like “Praying” became, that would be awesome and we would get even more singles then…

Definitely! Well, i just hope “Where We Go” gets a full single treatment, the rest doesn’t really matter that much for me :cry:

phoenix98 wrote:Ah, I didn't realize that "Tell Me You Love Me" had been chosen as the official next single until I saw your comment :o Would "You Don't Do It For Me Anymore" have been your next choice after TMLM, or is there anything else especially single-worthy on that album?
I’d be totally here for “You Don’t Do It For Me Anymore” as the third single, would be my favorite choice. “Lonely” or “Ruin The Friendship” would be great choices too. I’m still not over the fact that they released the weakest song as the lead track though (and that it’s such a hit for her… like, seriously?).

phoenix98 wrote:Well...Meaning Of Life isn't the Kelly that I love...but I knew that going into it, and Kelly clearly didn't love being the Kelly that I loved, so a part of me appreciates that she's pulled me a little outside of my comfort zone with this more soulful album. There's an energy/attitude throughout many of the songs that kept me coming back, and although I still prefer her pop/rock and pop/dance-leaning material, I managed to genuinely enjoy some of this side of her as well. She has quite a few prior Paulboard hits to her name, including four No. 1's: "Mr. Know It All", "You Love Me", "Catch My Breath", and "People Like Us." "What Doesn't Kill You (Stronger)" stalled at No. 2, but is one of her longest-lasting entries.

You definitely deserve 100% of the credit for that one! Thanks again for giving me a reason to check it out. :D
Oh, glad to hear you enjoy that new sound of her now and that she has scored already several hits. She’s definitely a solid hitmaker for me too, though nothing really impressed me so far since “Because Of You”.

<3

Rachel :cry: :cry: :cry:
I'm obviously SO happy to see her slaying your charts this week the way she does. "Waves" is definitely one of the strongest pop releases of the year and it's such a shame that it will go as nearly unnoticed by the public. "Loose Ends" is such a deserving number one hit for her and i'm glad to see it's one of your faves, just like "Collide" and "Shivers" which would be my favorite tunes as well apart from the singles.

Also nice success for Niall this week and guess what - "Seeing Blind" is my favorite song of the album too :o It HAS to be his next single, at least in the US. I already enjoyed Maren's debut album back when she released it, so i was really looking forward to this track and i didn't get disappointed. Also nice to see him scoring some other entries, as his album is definitely the best of the former 1D member releases.

Good to see Rita being above Liam ( :P ) again. Unlucky her that it's such a busy week, otherwise she would have been number one again 8-)
Tansike
Legend

Postby JakeP » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:22 pm

Hello Paul :D

So i've not heard any of Rachel Platten's album yet, so only know the singles so far. :oops:

04 (NE) 01 | "Seeing Blind" - Niall Horan ft. Maren Morris | 4

Aww, this is so lovely seeing Niall secure his highest peak yet. Did you see Niall at the Country music awards last week? He looked so gorgeous and cute. In fact both Niall and Maren were rocking the red carpet with their outfits. :wink:

08 (NE) 01 | "Since We're Alone" - Niall Horan | 8

This narrowly missed out on my chart two weeks ago. I'm not overly struck on the song tbh, its good but i much prefer some of the other tracks.

09 (02) 03 | "Anywhere" - Rita Ora | 1 (1) | [G]

Nooo this is going in the wrong direction. :lol: :P

Also enjoying these songs:

10 (01) 03 | "Bedroom Floor" - Liam Payne | 1 (1) | [G]
14 (RE) 08 | "What Lovers Do" - Maroon 5 ft. SZA | 1 (1) | [2xP]
20 (13) 02 | "Wolves" - Selena Gomez ft. Marshmello | 13
21 (RE) 11 | "Broken Glass" - Rachel Platten | 1 (1) | [P]
23 (NE) 01 | "Flicker" - Niall Horan | 23
24 (NE) 01 | "Mirrors" - Niall Horan | 24
25 (NE) 01 | "Paper Houses" - Niall Horan | 24
27 (07) 03 | "Finders Keepers" - Mabel ft. Kojo Funds | 4

The Niall entries are particularly heartwarming to see. Still struggling with Fire away though. :oops: :(
JakeP
Manager

Postby phoenix98 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:45 pm

Many thanks and much love for the comments! :D

bluecherry wrote:Wow! Great to see ‘Garden’ in the top three - I’m guessing that might be my influence? If so I’m actually so happy I’ve finally had an impact on someone’s charts!
It was absolutely, entirely your influence, so thanks again for bringing that gem to my attention! "Make This Song Cry" came REALLY close to charting too, but things have gotten especially competitive since I got access to Apple Music. It had four plays, which would've guaranteed a spot inside the Top 30 in any other week (even three plays is almost always enough.)

bluecherry wrote:Loving seeing you enjoy Rachel - I haven’t checked out the album yet but seeing your positive reaction is tempting me. It seems she, Niall and Maroon 5 are all having good weeks thanks to their album releases.
I'd say Waves is totally worth a listen - but both "Broken Glass" and "Perfect For You" went to No. 1 here before the album dropped, so I've clearly been feeling Rachel's material this era. :lol:

bluecherry wrote:This is the first time I’ve seen your chart lately without Terror Jr!
Ha, that's an excellent point, and I hadn't even noticed! That was the first chart without a single Terror Jr entry since September 29th.

bluecherry wrote:And I’d recommend listening to “sHe” if you enjoyed “Like I Would”. I enjoyed the album!
:o Totally single-worthy! It's definitely a shame that the era kind of fell to pieces right after the album dropped (though it seems that Zayn's anxiety/general health prevented him from properly promoting the project.)

Thanks again, blue! :D
phoenix98
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:50 pm

Tansike wrote:Ah no, that wouldn’t be (and also isn’t) the case. I really love to catch up to see what I ‘missed’ :)
<3

Tansike wrote:“Walk On Water” seems to be quite frontloaded, which is not surprising since it’s Eminem’s comeback and has Beyoncé featured, but I really don’t see this becoming a big hit. “Havana” may get there next week, as long as Post Malone won’t release a video or so for his song. Speaking about “Rockstar”… I never heard it so far, despite it being such a huge hit everywhere… :oops:
Yeah, it looks like I really had nothing to fear with "Walk On Water", since it's already out of the US iTunes Top 10 (even below the new "Havana" remix :lol: and airplay is virtually nonexistent.) It'll probably rebound a bit once/if the video drops, but it seems safe to say that Em doesn't have another "Love The Way You Lie" (or even another "The Monster") on his hands here.

Ah, I forgot that "Rockstar" STILL doesn't have a video! I think it's worth at least a listen or two to see if you agree with all the hype. I still don't quite hear what about it made it such a global mega-smash...but the chorus is kiiind of catchy...I guess? I'd mentioned in Jake's thread a while back that it probably has an effect on people similar to songs like "Fergalicious" or Meghan's "Me Too" that leave listeners feeling like a badass/hot sh*t (except it would reach/appeal to audiences that would NEVER bother with either of those songs.) :lol:

Tansike wrote:I’m already excited to see which one would be the third single, if she releases one. Very tough decision as there’s a lot good stuff on “Waves”…

Yep, definitely, probably also a reason why I like it so much. “Congratulations” and “Lone Ranger” are by far my favorite songs on “Wildfire”, and while I prefer “Waves” over “Wildfire” now as a whole, none of the new songs are as good as these two for me. And don’t worry, I completely got what you meant, and you did a good job and describing it :)
Hmmm...I hadn't really thought about that. I guess "Perfect For You" wasn't even a proper second single, was it? I don't think it has a video, anyway. I wouldn't be too shocked if "Broken Glass" is the only track that gets a full, proper push this era, but maybe they'll send something else to Adult Pop/Adult Contemporary radio stations here in the US? If it looked like she had any chance left of mainstream/international success, I'd say try something like "Collide" or "Shiver"...but since that doesn't seem likely (based on the total floppage of "Broken Glass"), I guess "Whole Heart" might be a good pick for US Adult radio? I honestly don't know those formats TOO well (she just seems to have the most success there, based on Wikipedia) :lol: I suspect slower/mid-tempo songs have the best chance?

You're too kind. <3

Tansike wrote:It was actually quite easy. It started with opening a new internet tab for EVERY personal chart, so I had like 50 tabs or so open and then I clicked through them, checked the chart out and left a comment if there’s something I like (which I usually always did). So if I need to do something else for work or am currently too tired to do it, I can make a break… just leaving the internet window with all the tabs open so I still know which one I still want to make a comment on.
It definitely shows what a dedicated, amazing poster you are that you ever considered managing 50 different charts to be "quite easy" :lol: Forget Post Malone, YOU are the true rockstar!

Tansike wrote:Well Miley and Kesha are both huge artists for me too so I don’t think it has to do with my past crush on GaGa :oops: I know, right?! :o If she would do a similar live performance on other shows like the AMA or the Grammy it could become a big hit for her. I’m glad you enjoyed that performance so much :D
Absolutely! It looks like she's not actually scheduled to perform at the AMAs at all, though? Ugh, it just seems even crazier for them to completely abandon the album so quickly when there were such prime promo opportunities right around the corner! :x

Tansike wrote:Oh, I didn’t mean they won me over. It’s just that I enjoyed it, more than I enjoyed their last album(s) which is a huge plus for them because I never really liked them. The album will still have an awful second week on my charts… :oops:
Ha, fair enough. Though now that I've seen their full Tansikeboard chart history, the V singles did much better than the Red Pill Blues singles, but you still like RPB better overall? Are there certain album tracks that redeemed it (well, kept it from being totally terrible?) :lol:

Tansike wrote:Just imagine if they would have picked the title track or something like “Spaceship” :lol: They’re not bad but I think they would have been these bizarre choices, right? Anyways, yes, I would have been here for “Boots” and “Hymn” as well, while I think “Let ‘Em Talk” would have been too ‘simple’, if that makes sense. Here’s hope “Learn To Let Go” becomes a surprising hit like “Praying” became, that would be awesome and we would get even more singles then…

Definitely! Well, i just hope “Where We Go” gets a full single treatment, the rest doesn’t really matter that much for me :cry:
Ha, yeah, that's exactly what I meant :lol: Or "Godzilla" too (which has a certain cuteness to it, but DEFINITELY not a smart single selection by any means.) Ouch @ "Let 'Em Talk" being too simple :( Doesn't the public often love simple, though...? Whatever they pick, I'd obviously love to see this era enjoy some longevity and go at least 3-4 singles deep.

...and speaking of going 3-4 singles deep, P!nk's almost always pushed at least four singles from her albums (often even more than four, with several region-specific choices), so hopefully she doesn't suddenly stop that trend now! On that note, I still need to add Beautiful Trauma to my library...but I just added Dua Lipa and Blue Lips yesterday, so she'll have to wait a little longer :lol: I do feel like I know the album at least somewhat already thanks to Jake charting many of the album tracks.

Tansike wrote:I’d be totally here for “You Don’t Do It For Me Anymore” as the third single, would be my favorite choice. “Lonely” or “Ruin The Friendship” would be great choices too. I’m still not over the fact that they released the weakest song as the lead track though (and that it’s such a hit for her… like, seriously?).
Ah, interesting picks. I haven't heard the album in full, but after just one listen each, I was more drawn to "Daddy Issues" that bluecherry suggested.

I still can't believe "Sorry Not Sorry" became her biggest Hot 100 hit EVER (especially in a year when so many other females are struggling) :x Not "Give Your Heart A Break", or "Heart Attack", or "Cool For The Summer"...or anything else, really. :lol:

Tansike wrote:Oh, glad to hear you enjoy that new sound of her now and that she has scored already several hits. She’s definitely a solid hitmaker for me too, though nothing really impressed me so far since “Because Of You”.
:o Since "Because Of You"? I mean, a lot of fans really adore that one...but she's released five albums since then (six, if count Wrapped In Red) :lol: Do you typically prefer her ballads like BoY? So not even "Sober" or "Piece By Piece" impressed you?

Tansike wrote:I'm obviously SO happy to see her slaying your charts this week the way she does. "Waves" is definitely one of the strongest pop releases of the year and it's such a shame that it will go as nearly unnoticed by the public. "Loose Ends" is such a deserving number one hit for her and i'm glad to see it's one of your faves, just like "Collide" and "Shivers" which would be my favorite tunes as well apart from the singles.
Testify, Tansike! I really appreciate your enthusiasm for Waves (especially since poor Rachel isn't getting it from most people...) :cry:

Tansike wrote:Also nice success for Niall this week and guess what - "Seeing Blind" is my favorite song of the album too :o It HAS to be his next single, at least in the US. I already enjoyed Maren's debut album back when she released it, so i was really looking forward to this track and i didn't get disappointed. Also nice to see him scoring some other entries, as his album is definitely the best of the former 1D member releases.
Yeah, if they go with anything else for the US after "Too Much To Ask", it'd be one of the most baffling missed opportunities in recent memory. The fact that she's the only guest on his entire album makes it seem like it was designed to be a single too.

Tansike wrote:Good to see Rita being above Liam ( :P ) again. Unlucky her that it's such a busy week, otherwise she would have been number one again 8-)
:lol: You've got a point there! Granted, even if I hadn't gotten access to Apple Music, I still would've bought Red Pill Blues (and possibly Waves too), so Rita's chances of actually rebounding to the top were pretty slim.

Thanks again, Tansike! :D
phoenix98
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:55 pm

JakeP wrote:Hello Paul :D
Ahoy, Jake! :D

JakeP wrote:So i've not heard any of Rachel Platten's album yet, so only know the singles so far. :oops:
Nooo rush, and nooo pressure, but if you're curious, I'd recommend "Loose Ends", "Shivers", and "Collide" to start (and I think Tansike would agree with those picks.) I promise none of them sound like "Attention" either! ;)

JakeP wrote:Aww, this is so lovely seeing Niall secure his highest peak yet. Did you see Niall at the Country music awards last week? He looked so gorgeous and cute. In fact both Niall and Maren were rocking the red carpet with their outfits. :wink:
Great memory! That No. 4 debut for "Seeing Blind" does indeed give Niall his highest Paulboard peak yet, though it'll probably be tricky to match the longevity of the No. 6-peaking "Slow Hands" with the influx of new material thanks to Apple Music. If "Seeing Blind" does become his next single/gets a video/makes official charts, that'll help keep it at the front of my mind for months to come!

Damn, Niall's lookin' MIGHTY dapper there :o I'd definitely be interested to hear him experiment with county-tinged material a bit more (perhaps a duet on Maren's next album...?)

JakeP wrote:Nooo this is going in the wrong direction. :lol: :P
Although I definitely don't expect it to rebound all the way to No. 1, I can assure you it won't be on a strictly downward-trajectory from this point forward! ;)

JakeP wrote:The Niall entries are particularly heartwarming to see. Still struggling with Fire away though. :oops: :(
Ha, yeah, that one (and a few others) probably wouldn't have made the cut if I hadn't played through Flicker in full one more time shortly before the end of the chart week. "Fire Away" is one of the most (if not THE most) snooze-inducing moments on the album...but the message of the song is sweet, at least. <3

Thanks again, Jake! :D
phoenix98
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:00 pm

Paulboard Top 30
Chart Date: 11/17/17

• Paloma manages an unlikely victory over Paulboard all-star Taylor to collect her third No. 1 with "Guilty", following "Picking Up The Pieces (Radio Edit)" (2012) and "Only Love Can Hurt Like This" (2015.)

01 (NE) 01 | "Guilty" - Paloma Faith | 1 (1)
02 (NE) 01 | "King Of My Heart" - Taylor Swift | 2 (1)
03 (NE) 01 | "Delicate" - Taylor Swift | 3
04 (NE) 01 | "Gorgeous" - Taylor Swift | 4
05 (NE) 01 | "Meant To Be" - Bebe Rexha ft. Florida Georgia Line | 5
06 (RE) 05 | "Crybaby" - Paloma Faith | 2 (1) | [P]
07 (09) 04 | "Anywhere" - Rita Ora | 1 (1) | [P]
08 (01) 02 | "Loose Ends" - Rachel Platten | 1 (1)
09 (03) 02 | "Garden (Say It Like Dat)" - SZA | 3
10 (NE) 01 | "Dress" - Taylor Swift | 10
11 (NE) 01 | "...Ready For It?" - Taylor Swift | 11
12 (NE) 01 | "Easy Love" - Lauv | 12
13 (RE) 10 | "Look What You Made Me Do" - Taylor Swift | 1 (1) | [2xP]
14 (04) 02 | "Seeing Blind" - Niall Horan ft. Maren Morris | 4
15 (NE) 01 | "Call It What You Want" - Taylor Swift | 15
16 (NE) 01 | "I Did Something Bad" - Taylor Swift | 16
17 (NE) 01 | "Dancing With Our Hands Tied" - Taylor Swift | 17
18 (10) 04 | "Bedroom Floor" - Liam Payne | 1 (1) | [G]
19 (NE) 01 | "New Year's Day" - Taylor Swift | 19
20 (NE) 01 | "End Game" - Taylor Swift ft. Ed Sheeran & Future | 20
21 (NE) 01 | "Getaway Car" - Taylor Swift | 21
22 (NE) 01 | "Don't Blame Me" - Taylor Swift | 22
23 (NE) 01 | "This Is Why We Can't Have Nice Things" - Taylor Swift | 23
24 (NE) 01 | "So It Goes..." - Taylor Swift | 24
25 (02) 02 | "Collide" - Rachel Platten | 2 (1)
26 (NE) 01 | "Story Of A Heart" - Steps | 26
27 (RE) 16 | "Roar" - Katy Perry | 1 (2) | [2xP]
28 (RE) 10 | "Swish Swish" - Katy Perry ft. Nicki Minaj | 1 (1) | [P]
29 (RE) 08 | "Bigger Than Me" - Katy Perry | 2 (1) | [G]
30 (RE) 04 | "Roulette" - Katy Perry | 9

[GOLD] = 25+ total plays
[PLAT] = 50+ total plays

PSA: I'm heading to my Dad's for Thanksgiving and not planning to bring my laptop, so I might not comment much/at all for the next week or so, but I should be back on track soon after! Thanks again for the continued support! :D
phoenix98
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:39 pm

Hmm...It's interesting that Paloma Faith beat out all of Taylor's Reputation tracks this week. I'm guessing this means you haven't been completely wowed by any of the new T-Swizzle songs yet, or maybe "Guilty" is just that good for you! At any rate, I hope she puts the album on Spotify soon so I can check it out.

Enjoy Thanksgiving Day with your dad! :D

01 (NE) 01 | "Guilty" - Paloma Faith | 1 (1)
04 (NE) 01 | "Gorgeous" - Taylor Swift | 4
06 (RE) 05 | "Crybaby" - Paloma Faith | 2 (1) | [P]
07 (09) 04 | "Anywhere" - Rita Ora | 1 (1) | [P]
11 (NE) 01 | "...Ready For It?" - Taylor Swift | 11
13 (RE) 10 | "Look What You Made Me Do" - Taylor Swift | 1 (1) | [2xP]
14 (04) 02 | "Seeing Blind" - Niall Horan ft. Maren Morris | 4
15 (NE) 01 | "Call It What You Want" - Taylor Swift | 15
18 (10) 04 | "Bedroom Floor" - Liam Payne | 1 (1) | [G]
26 (NE) 01 | "Story Of A Heart" - Steps | 26
27 (RE) 16 | "Roar" - Katy Perry | 1 (2) | [2xP]
28 (RE) 10 | "Swish Swish" - Katy Perry ft. Nicki Minaj | 1 (1) | [P]
30 (RE) 04 | "Roulette" - Katy Perry | 9

phoenix98 wrote:This was news to me, so I felt especially ashamed after Googling it and discovering that it happened all the way back in 2014 :o Was it swept under the rug fairly swiftly? I can't @ some of the minor "offenses" that fans and/or the public will never let go ("You said you're ashamed of our president? Well then, no more career for you! Time to steamroll those records..."), but THIS gets shrugged off almost instantly? Did he ever even respond to it himself...?
Yeah, I'm not quite sure why some racist/sexist/homophobic remarks get swept under the rug, and others actually tend to stick to the perpetrators. I remember Louis's remark was particularly upsetting to me because he was my initial 1D fave, and he's never apologised for, or even acknowledged, the remarks. It helps that his solo music career thus far has been deplorable so removing him from my playlist was much easier than I envisioned. There was a racist 'infraction' brought to my attention recently committed by Camila, too, several years ago, but, at the very least, she copped up to it and apologised. That still hasn't stopped me from taking "Havana" off the heavy rotation it was on, but I might get over it by year-end.

phoenix98 wrote:Such modesty! It was on the front. page. of one of the most respectable and beloved music sites on the entire world wide web (and composed by one of said site's most respectable and beloved contributors.) I'd be shocked if it wasn't responsible for THOUSANDS!
Aw, you're too kind! I doubt that many people read the reviews anyway, but who knows? :)
Franklin’s music profoundly touched and changed the world, because over and over it offered that bridge to salvation, to freedom.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Tansike » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:39 pm

phoenix98 wrote:Yeah, it looks like I really had nothing to fear with "Walk On Water", since it's already out of the US iTunes Top 10 (even below the new "Havana" remix :lol: and airplay is virtually nonexistent.) It'll probably rebound a bit once/if the video drops, but it seems safe to say that Em doesn't have another "Love The Way You Lie" (or even another "The Monster") on his hands here.

Ah, I forgot that "Rockstar" STILL doesn't have a video! I think it's worth at least a listen or two to see if you agree with all the hype. I still don't quite hear what about it made it such a global mega-smash...but the chorus is kiiind of catchy...I guess? I'd mentioned in Jake's thread a while back that it probably has an effect on people similar to songs like "Fergalicious" or Meghan's "Me Too" that leave listeners feeling like a badass/hot sh*t (except it would reach/appeal to audiences that would NEVER bother with either of those songs.) :lol:
True. Well to be fair, I always thought “The Monster” was only so successful due to “Love The Way You Lie” being such a hit for them both… :oops: Anyways, “Havana” still isn’t #1. Can that Post Malone song already die, please? :-?

I’ll check it out though it’s one of the cases where I’m already quite sure I won’t like it before even hearing it due to all the comments I saw about it… but I try it out, especially since it’s so big. There are actually quite a few big hits lately I never heard… I also never heard “Despacito” in full, for example :oops: Anyway, you just made me curious as I love “Fergalicious” and “Me Too” :lol:

phoenix98 wrote:]Hmmm...I hadn't really thought about that. I guess "Perfect For You" wasn't even a proper second single, was it? I don't think it has a video, anyway. I wouldn't be too shocked if "Broken Glass" is the only track that gets a full, proper push this era, but maybe they'll send something else to Adult Pop/Adult Contemporary radio stations here in the US? If it looked like she had any chance left of mainstream/international success, I'd say try something like "Collide" or "Shiver"...but since that doesn't seem likely (based on the total floppage of "Broken Glass"), I guess "Whole Heart" might be a good pick for US Adult radio? I honestly don't know those formats TOO well (she just seems to have the most success there, based on Wikipedia) :lol: I suspect slower/mid-tempo songs have the best chance?
I see it as a second single to be honest :lol: But yeah, it was more like a promo single/instant grat before the album came out. Maybe it was supposed to be the proper second single but they changed their minds as it flopped completely. YESS “Collide” as a single would be like a dream come true, “Shivers” would be an awesome choice too! Unfortunately I can’t answer your question as I’m not really familiar with that radio (except that one of my faves – Lindsey Stirling – had some entries there lately as her only airplay entries ever :cry: )

phoenix98 wrote:It definitely shows what a dedicated, amazing poster you are that you ever considered managing 50 different charts to be "quite easy" :lol: Forget Post Malone, YOU are the true rockstar!
:lol: Well the thing is I LOVE(d) to do it so that made it easy. Was always so interesting to see everyone’s taste…

phoenix98 wrote:Absolutely! It looks like she's not actually scheduled to perform at the AMAs at all, though? Ugh, it just seems even crazier for them to completely abandon the album so quickly when there were such prime promo opportunities right around the corner! :x
…so she performed but she did “The Cure” with a quite boring performance… :(

phoenix98 wrote:Ha, fair enough. Though now that I've seen their full Tansikeboard chart history, the V singles did much better than the Red Pill Blues singles, but you still like RPB better overall? Are there certain album tracks that redeemed it (well, kept it from being totally terrible?) :lol:
Apart from “What Lovers Do” – which is my absolute fave now – I like “Lips On You” and “Visions” the most :)

phoenix98 wrote:Ha, yeah, that's exactly what I meant :lol: Or "Godzilla" too (which has a certain cuteness to it, but DEFINITELY not a smart single selection by any means.) Ouch @ "Let 'Em Talk" being too simple :( Doesn't the public often love simple, though...? Whatever they pick, I'd obviously love to see this era enjoy some longevity and go at least 3-4 singles deep.

...and speaking of going 3-4 singles deep, P!nk's almost always pushed at least four singles from her albums (often even more than four, with several region-specific choices), so hopefully she doesn't suddenly stop that trend now! On that note, I still need to add Beautiful Trauma to my library...but I just added Dua Lipa and Blue Lips yesterday, so she'll have to wait a little longer :lol: I do feel like I know the album at least somewhat already thanks to Jake charting many of the album tracks.
I don’t know… maybe ‘simple’ was the wrong word :oops: It’s just… nothing special to me. But that’s just my opinion, of course :oops:

Oh you really seem to enjoy Apple Music and how easy it is to check out albums, do you? :) I really hope you can add P!nk’s album soon as it’s really good, but the albums you mentioned are good too :)

phoenix98 wrote:I still can't believe "Sorry Not Sorry" became her biggest Hot 100 hit EVER (especially in a year when so many other females are struggling) :x Not "Give Your Heart A Break", or "Heart Attack", or "Cool For The Summer"...or anything else, really. :lol:
I know :roll:
This most likely means she’ll do more tracks like SNS in the future…

phoenix98 wrote: :o Since "Because Of You"? I mean, a lot of fans really adore that one...but she's released five albums since then (six, if count Wrapped In Red) :lol: Do you typically prefer her ballads like BoY? So not even "Sober" or "Piece By Piece" impressed you?
Don’t even remember “Sober” right now to be honest :oops: Also, “Piece By Piece” was amazing when it comes to the AI performance, but other than that it didn’t really impressed me. It’s like different for her, there are also some uptempos that I really liked, but the last really great single to me was “Invincible” for example…

phoenix98 wrote:Yeah, if they go with anything else for the US after "Too Much To Ask", it'd be one of the most baffling missed opportunities in recent memory. The fact that she's the only guest on his entire album makes it seem like it was designed to be a single too.
Exactly what I thought when I first saw this feature :lol:

So… where do start with the new chart?

Paloma’s new album is out and I’ve already listened to it a few times however I have to admit NOTHING really clicked with me so far. It feels like I listen to it, like it, but once it’s over I forgot everything again :( Let’s hope it grows on me more, but so far I’m quite disappointed in it…

Love some of the entries for Taylor this week. “Delicate” would be my second favorite track from the ones we didn’t know prior the album release, so I absolutely love its debut on your charts this week! :D My absolute fave right now is “Don’t Blame Me”… so glad it was able to enter your charts as well :)
Other than that, I had my problems with “Reputation”. It’s out for nearly two weeks now and until two days ago I barely got into it, but some songs (especially the two mentioned ones) are slowly growing on me, while I still love LWYMMD and RFI. What are your thoughts about the album?

Great entry for “Meant To Be”! :D

Also love Rita’s ongoing success :cool:
And I’m glad two of Rachel’s songs survived the Taylor craziness this week… :oops:
Tansike
Legend

Postby stevyy » Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:48 pm

the taylor slayage is surreal. I own the album and I still cannot pick a favourite yet. However, as a whole 1989 stays superior in my opinion.
stevyy
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:15 pm

JSparksFan wrote:Hmm...It's interesting that Paloma Faith beat out all of Taylor's Reputation tracks this week. I'm guessing this means you haven't been completely wowed by any of the new T-Swizzle songs yet, or maybe "Guilty" is just that good for you! At any rate, I hope she puts the album on Spotify soon so I can check it out.
Yeah, there were a couple of factors at play there. Paloma did have a one-day advantage, since I didn't pick up reputation until Saturday...but plenty of acts have overcome similar (or even more severe) obstacles before. The sound of several songs on reputation presented a problem as well (particularly the angrier/shoutier tracks), and the overall attitude of this era still doesn't sit totally well with me (particularly given how she was caught lying about the Kanye "Famous" situation.) I'm definitely more drawn to the tracks that feel like a more natural progression from 1989 (and focus more on romance) than the ones that focus so heavily on how she's misunderstood/this is all just a witch hunt/etc. I'm less bothered by her not being the world's foremost feminist than I am by the total lack of sincere acknowledgement/introspection regarding her own shady, manipulative ways (at most, she does it in a very tongue-in-cheek/winking way, but usually just goes with the "you just don't know what really happened/the real me" angle.)

That said...the album's presence here certainly won't be evaporating anytime soon! ;)

JSparksFan wrote:Enjoy Thanksgiving Day with your dad! :D
Many thanks! It ended up being a really perfect trip, with just enough time to see all the friends I really wanted and still enjoy plenty of quality family-time on Thanksgiving day itself.

JSparksFan wrote:Yeah, I'm not quite sure why some racist/sexist/homophobic remarks get swept under the rug, and others actually tend to stick to the perpetrators. I remember Louis's remark was particularly upsetting to me because he was my initial 1D fave, and he's never apologised for, or even acknowledged, the remarks. It helps that his solo music career thus far has been deplorable so removing him from my playlist was much easier than I envisioned. There was a racist 'infraction' brought to my attention recently committed by Camila, too, several years ago, but, at the very least, she copped up to it and apologised. That still hasn't stopped me from taking "Havana" off the heavy rotation it was on, but I might get over it by year-end.
Well...being a (debatably) attractive (debatably) straight white dude does tend to help people get off the hook more easily (as opposed to, say, female country stars...or a black female pop/R&B superstar.) I was chatting with a friend about how Eminem seems to have been pretty much totally forgiven (even among much of the LGBTQ+ community) for pretty horrific lyrics/remarks in the past, and she pointed to the same explanation :x It's nice that he's not SO homophobic that he'd refuse to share a stage with Elton, but I don't get why that grants him a free pass to use "f*g" in perpetuity...

:o What's this about Camila too? After a quick Google search, I couldn't find any specific quotes, but some insinuations that she might've made comments about fellow/former 5H members...?

JSparksFan wrote:Aw, you're too kind! I doubt that many people read the reviews anyway, but who knows? :)
Not as many as SHOULD, obviously, but your impact is absolutely, undeniably not negligable!

Thanks again, Akini! :D
phoenix98
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:20 pm

Tansike wrote:True. Well to be fair, I always thought “The Monster” was only so successful due to “Love The Way You Lie” being such a hit for them both… :oops: Anyways, “Havana” still isn’t #1. Can that Post Malone song already die, please? :-?

I’ll check it out though it’s one of the cases where I’m already quite sure I won’t like it before even hearing it due to all the comments I saw about it… but I try it out, especially since it’s so big. There are actually quite a few big hits lately I never heard… I also never heard “Despacito” in full, for example :oops: Anyway, you just made me curious as I love “Fergalicious” and “Me Too” :lol:
Ugh, damn Post Malone's clever team for dropping the video at the best (well, worst, for us) time possible. :x :lol:

:o Not even ONCE for "Despacito"? That one seemed truly inescapable over the summer: bars, stores, people just blasting it in their cars (granted, I guess that wouldn't count as hearing it in full...)

Tansike wrote:I see it as a second single to be honest :lol: But yeah, it was more like a promo single/instant grat before the album came out. Maybe it was supposed to be the proper second single but they changed their minds as it flopped completely. YESS “Collide” as a single would be like a dream come true, “Shivers” would be an awesome choice too! Unfortunately I can’t answer your question as I’m not really familiar with that radio (except that one of my faves – Lindsey Stirling – had some entries there lately as her only airplay entries ever :cry: )
Ha, yeah, "Perfect For You" still feels that way to me too (but that's partially because it's the only other track I downloaded before the album dropped, besides "Broken Glass.")

Awesome to hear that Lindsey is getting some radio exposure! Instrumental tracks like hers seem to have an especially tough time getting much airtime in the US, so maybe that format could be an exception.

Tansike wrote:Apart from “What Lovers Do” – which is my absolute fave now – I like “Lips On You” and “Visions” the most :)
Interesting! I obviously agree about "What Lovers Do", but the other two haven't stood out to me as much (but at least they're not as dull as "Whiskey", or drag on forever-and-a-day like "Closure"...)

Tansike wrote:AI don’t know… maybe ‘simple’ was the wrong word :oops: It’s just… nothing special to me. But that’s just my opinion, of course :oops:
An opinion I'd love to see shift someday ;) :lol: Ha, idk, it just really grabbed me from my first play through the album: totally in-your-face, catchy, sassy pop/rock fun. It has the same effect of getting you pumped and on your feet like her earlier dancey material (while moving in a very different direction sound-wise.)

Tansike wrote:This most likely means she’ll do more tracks like SNS in the future…
:o Could poppy Demi be gone for good...? :cry:

Tansike wrote:Don’t even remember “Sober” right now to be honest :oops: Also, “Piece By Piece” was amazing when it comes to the AI performance, but other than that it didn’t really impressed me. It’s like different for her, there are also some uptempos that I really liked, but the last really great single to me was “Invincible” for example…
Aw, I've gotta try to jog your memory when it comes to "Sober", since it's a really lovely fan favorite that I think totally deserves the hype/admiration. Sadly, "Invincible" would probably rank among my least-favorite Kelly singles. :oops:

Tansike wrote:Paloma’s new album is out and I’ve already listened to it a few times however I have to admit NOTHING really clicked with me so far. It feels like I listen to it, like it, but once it’s over I forgot everything again :( Let’s hope it grows on me more, but so far I’m quite disappointed in it…
:o NOTHING? Poor Paloma :cry: I'd encourage you to go back at least once, since I failed to catch "Guilty"s charms the first time I heard it (granted, that might've been due to me being too distracted by everything else going on in its official video...)

Tansike wrote:Love some of the entries for Taylor this week. “Delicate” would be my second favorite track from the ones we didn’t know prior the album release, so I absolutely love its debut on your charts this week! :D My absolute fave right now is “Don’t Blame Me”… so glad it was able to enter your charts as well :) Other than that, I had my problems with “Reputation”. It’s out for nearly two weeks now and until two days ago I barely got into it, but some songs (especially the two mentioned ones) are slowly growing on me, while I still love LWYMMD and RFI. What are your thoughts about the album?
Ha, well...good news and bad news: "Delicate" has a bright future here as it cements itself as my favorite (possibly even counting the singles) , while "Don't Blame Me" continues to rank toward the bottom for me :oops: I'm definitely more drawn to the tracks that feel like a more natural progression from 1989 (and focus more on romance) than the angry/shouty ones that focus so heavily on how she's misunderstood/this is all just a witch hunt/etc. Overall, I found myself warming up to the album more in the second week...but it'll still probably go down as one of my least favorites from her (granted, the competition is pretty stiff with a catalog as stellar as hers.)

Tansike wrote:Great entry for “Meant To Be”! :D
Who'd have thought that Bebe would need to turn to country/pop to finally really win me over? :lol:

phoenix98
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:25 pm

stevyy wrote:the taylor slayage is surreal. I own the album and I still cannot pick a favourite yet. However, as a whole 1989 stays superior in my opinion.
For. sure. No contest!

Overall, reputation definitely grew on me even more in week 2, but I can't see it ever moving me the way 1989 did (and still does!) I mean, “Style” + “Blank Space” alone overshadow the entirety of reputation...

Thanks again, stevyy! :D
phoenix98
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:30 pm

Paulboard Top 30
Chart Date: 11/24/17

• In a week of slightly sparser music consumption (due to Thanksgiving travel plans), Tay sees several gains, including her record-breaking 17th No. 1: "Delicate."

01 (03) 02 | "Delicate" - Taylor Swift | 1 (1)
02 (02) 02 | "King Of My Heart" - Taylor Swift | 2 (2)
03 (05) 02 | "Meant To Be" - Bebe Rexha ft. Florida Georgia Line | 3
04 (07) 05 | "Anywhere" - Rita Ora | 1 (1) | [P]
05 (11) 02 | "...Ready For It?" - Taylor Swift | 5
06 (04) 02 | "Gorgeous" - Taylor Swift | 4
07 (08) 03 | "Loose Ends" - Rachel Platten | 1 (1) | [G]
08 (10) 02 | "Dress" - Taylor Swift | 8
09 (15) 02 | "Call It What You Want" - Taylor Swift | 15
10 (01) 02 | "Guilty" - Paloma Faith | 1 (1)
11 (09) 03 | "Garden (Say It Like Dat)" - SZA | 3
12 (20) 02 | "End Game" - Taylor Swift ft. Ed Sheeran & Future | 12
13 (RE) 06 | "Beautiful Trauma" - P!nk | 1 (1) | [P]
14 (14) 03 | "Seeing Blind" - Niall Horan ft. Maren Morris | 4
15 (13) 11 | "Look What You Made Me Do" - Taylor Swift | 1 (1) | [2xP]
16 (12) 02 | "Easy Love" - Lauv | 12
17 (RE) 02 | "Grace" - Rachel Platten | 11
18 (NE) 01 | "Shivering Gold" - Tove Lo | 18
19 (RE) 02 | "Disco Tits" - Tove Lo | 14
20 (NE) 01 | "Shedontknowbutsheknows" - Tove Lo | 20
21 (NE) 01 | "Bad Days" - Tove Lo | 21
22 (RE) 02 | "Whole Heart" - Rachel Platten | 7
23 (22) 02 | "Don't Blame Me" - Taylor Swift | 22
24 (16) 02 | "I Did Something Bad" - Taylor Swift | 16
25 (NE) 01 | "Bitches" - Tove Lo | 25
26 (NE) 01 | "Stranger" - Tove Lo | 26
27 (NE) 01 | "Pitch Black" - Tove Lo | 27
28 (NE) 01 | "Romantics" - Tove Lo ft. Daye Jack | 28
29 (NE) 01 | "Don't Ask Don't Tell" - Tove Lo | 29
30 (RE) 02 | "Shivers" - Rachel Platten | 6

[GOLD] = 25+ total plays
[PLAT] = 50+ total plays
phoenix98
Legend

Postby Tansike » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:47 pm

phoenix98 wrote:Ugh, damn Post Malone's clever team for dropping the video at the best (well, worst, for us) time possible. :x :lol:

:o Not even ONCE for "Despacito"? That one seemed truly inescapable over the summer: bars, stores, people just blasting it in their cars (granted, I guess that wouldn't count as hearing it in full...)
Wait, he released the video? I also heard rumours about a whole album coming out this week, no idea if that’s true or not though, so this would give him even more streams I guess…

Nope. I don’t really listen to radio and I didn’t visit many bars during summer, thankfully. And the parts I heard were always the original one, I have no idea how Justin sounds on it to be honest.

phoenix98 wrote:Ha, yeah, "Perfect For You" still feels that way to me too (but that's partially because it's the only other track I downloaded before the album dropped, besides "Broken Glass.")

Awesome to hear that Lindsey is getting some radio exposure! Instrumental tracks like hers seem to have an especially tough time getting much airtime in the US, so maybe that format could be an exception.
Well, same to me… :)

Oh, the track that got airplay on that format were actually always songs with featurings, so not instrumental :oops: But as a big fan it’s nice to see her getting at least some radio support nonetheless.

phoenix98 wrote:Interesting! I obviously agree about "What Lovers Do", but the other two haven't stood out to me as much (but at least they're not as dull as "Whiskey", or drag on forever-and-a-day like "Closure"...)
So this may be one of the more rare cases when our faves aren’t the same? Granted, as i said, i'm not a big fan of them so i'm not sure if my 'faves' count as 'normal' faves, if that makes sense…
However, I agree about the way too long “Closure”. Like, why the heck so long? :-?

phoenix98 wrote:An opinion I'd love to see shift someday ;) :lol: Ha, idk, it just really grabbed me from my first play through the album: totally in-your-face, catchy, sassy pop/rock fun. It has the same effect of getting you pumped and on your feet like her earlier dancey material (while moving in a very different direction sound-wise.)
Don’t get me wrong, it’s not that I would dislike that track, I just prefer some other songs of “Rainbow” a lot more :wink:

phoenix98 wrote: :o Could poppy Demi be gone for good...? :cry:
I don’t hope so :(

phoenix98 wrote:Aw, I've gotta try to jog your memory when it comes to "Sober", since it's a really lovely fan favorite that I think totally deserves the hype/admiration. Sadly, "Invincible" would probably rank among my least-favorite Kelly singles. :oops:
Interesting... that link is blocked in my country! But i have the album so i just listened to it through my iTunes and while i still don't remember it, i really enjoyed it. The part where it gets 'louder' is really, really good! :o
Aww, sad to hear this about “Invincible”, but I guess you’re not the only one who thinks so, as it was a big flop for her. I was surprised by myself how much I enjoyed the song, easily the best single of “Piece By Piece” for me :oops:

phoenix98 wrote: :o NOTHING? Poor Paloma :cry: I'd encourage you to go back at least once, since I failed to catch "Guilty"s charms the first time I heard it (granted, that might've been due to me being too distracted by everything else going on in its official video...)
A few more spins later I have to say my opinion about the album got slightly better, however it’s still hard to choose a fave as it’s all on the same solid level. I think I would go with “My Body” as my favorite track. A shame she released during such a busy time of the year when there are so many other albums I really like… I think “The Architect” is one of the albums I really need to re-visit in the new year.

What are your faves?

phoenix98 wrote:Ha, well...good news and bad news: "Delicate" has a bright future here as it cements itself as my favorite (possibly even counting the singles) , while "Don't Blame Me" continues to rank toward the bottom for me :oops: I'm definitely more drawn to the tracks that feel like a more natural progression from 1989 (and focus more on romance) than the angry/shouty ones that focus so heavily on how she's misunderstood/this is all just a witch hunt/etc. Overall, I found myself warming up to the album more in the second week...but it'll still probably go down as one of my least favorites from her (granted, the competition is pretty stiff with a catalog as stellar as hers.)
Brilliant news for “Delicate”! It’s easily my second most favorite song of the album now, only behind “Don’t Blame Me”, so there’s really bad news for that one haha… Anyway, I’m glad we share the love for “Delicate”. Ah the album also grew back on me, in its third week… it seems to be the first album by her which really needs some time to get into. But I share your thoughts about it being one of her weakest albums.

phoenix98 wrote:Who'd have thought that Bebe would need to turn to country/pop to finally really win me over? :lol:

Bebe, the new country queen :cry:

Brilliant number one :wink:
As I said above, “Delicate” is already my second most favorite song of “Reputation” and I really hope she will release this as a single. It seems to be a fan favorite overall and also reminds me a little bit of “Style” which can only be a good thing :)

As much as I like Ed, I’m still not that sure about “End Game” being the third single. I really like it, and it’s actually one of the better tracks on the album for me, however sometimes I can’t listen to it in full… it seems like it’s going on for soooo long :oops: “…Ready For It?” and LWYMMD are clearly much better. So, glad they’re still doing so well on your chart :D

Amazing for Bebe to score a Top3, Rita going back into the Top5 and Rachel getting another certified hit with “Loose Ends” :cool:

I had no idea P!nk’s “Beautiful Trauma” smashed so hard, so I didn’t expect it to be already certified with Platinum, but good for her. You must be REALLY happy that this is the new single now :)
Some nice debuts for Tove Lo, unfortunately “Blue Lips” is by far her weakest album to date for me. There’s no highlight on it, all is on the same level, which is solid, but I’m used to much better things when it comes to her :( Judging by the amount of entries you seem to enjoy the album, do you?
Tansike
Legend

Postby Fan » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:58 am

phoenix98 wrote::o Basic? BASIC?!?! :evil: :evil: :evil: Surely something got lost in translation there, and you meant to say "classically handsome"...or you're referring to his personality. I've never seen any of his interviews, so you might be right about that :lol: Bawdy aside (which is absolutely god-like), his smile alone is simply diviiiine. I was re-watching the "Story Of A Heart" video yesterday and could barely keep my sh*t together when he does that ridiculously adorkable dance routine toward the end...

Eh, your age might not be entirely to blame, since I think the public's stagnant streaming habits have definitely made official charts less fun to follow. There's been too many weeks lately where nearly the entire Hot 100 Top 10 remained exactly in place from the previous week, and it's a big event now when 2+ songs manage to enter that region in any given week.

Did you find Mabel on somebody's personal chart, or were there already threads for her?

I wasn't really paying much attention to Rita at the time, but "R.I.P." had always struck me as a fairly shocking "debut" single choice (especially since they had the MUCH more infectious "How We Do" waiting in the wings) until JakeP provided some context a little while ago. I'm not quoting him perfectly here, since I can't recall his exact words, but it was something along the lines of how she was originally presented as very edgy/anti-mainstream, and "R.I.P." is fairly fitting for that (since the chorus isn't catchy in the slightest....) It's like "R.I.P." is the H and "How We Do"' is the Lee! ;)

As much as I've been enjoying "Finders Keepers", the rest of Mabel's work will have to wait at least a little longer, since this week is obviously all about Tay (and I'm still enjoying the albums I added last week.) Maybe next week...?

If only we lived close enough, you could host a Mabel listening party and treat me to an expertly-curated playlist of her best work!

Aw, they're such perky, flirty fun <3 "The Show" also offers that unconventional song structure (setting the stage for "Biology", perhaps?) and "Love Machine" gave swing a perfect modern twist (with delightfully daft lyrics.)

:lol: What?! One of the worst songs in ALL of 2017? Granted, you did say that you don't check out many chart hits these days, so you must not have heard some of 2017's biggest Hot 100 hits. As Jake pointed out, Liam's falsetto in the chorus is quite reminiscent of Adam Levine and Jason Derülo, so if you're not a fan of either of their work, that wouldn't help matters. :x

It's not the Kelly that I love...but I knew that going into it, and Kelly clearly didn't love being the Kelly that I loved, so a part of me appreciates that she pulled me a little outside of my comfort zone with this more soulful album. There's an energy/attitude throughout many of the songs that kept me coming back, and although I still prefer her pop/rock and pop/dance-leaning material, I managed to find some genuine enjoyment in this side of her as well. She's going to virtually disappear on my next chart, but that's more due to the influx of "new" albums (new to me anyway) than me abruptly losing interest in Meaning Of Life.

Thanks again, Fan!
Sorry, my friend! I have been so busy lately that I have totally forgotten to reply to your thread :oops: But here I am..

Hahahaha. Nope, sorry. I still meant basic. Even after seeing those pictures :lol: :lol: I also don't really know his personality, to be honest. But I am the same person who also calls Chris Hemsworth basic. So maybe it has something to do with that :P

I think there actually was a Mabel thread in de Urban section.

Hm, yes. I think R.I.P. was a very good debut single actually, as it was quite different compared to most things that were in the charts back then. Especially compared to How We Do, which is a great one as well, but everyone could have sung that. R.I.P. made her stood out more, in my opinion, and it worked pretty well for her. So got two #1's out of it :lol:

A Mabel playlist party would be pretty amazing!! Shame you live so far away :(
Mabel is actually playing a show in Amsterdam next year.

I actually like(d) Adam a lot. Have followed Maroon 5 that much lately, but they were pretty incredibly back in the day (Never Gonna Leave This Bed <3). Jason has some very catchy, if not generic, hits. But Liam is just soo dull :oops: Sorry!

Great to see Paloma hit the top spot last week, though. Have you listened to her new album already? There are some top notch tunes included, I basically listen to the same four songs over and over again :lol:

I think we have already talked about Beautiful Trauma before, such a good one. And love the video! Pink surely knows how to deliver.

Disco Tits is a fun one.
i wanna see you on your knees, wanna see you begging
Fan
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:50 pm

Tansike wrote:Wait, he released the video? I also heard rumours about a whole album coming out this week, no idea if that’s true or not though, so this would give him even more streams I guess…

Nope. I don’t really listen to radio and I didn’t visit many bars during summer, thankfully. And the parts I heard were always the original one, I have no idea how Justin sounds on it to be honest.
Yeah, and although I don't really want to give "Rockstar" even MORE streams, I suppose the fact that the video is finally out does make this the perfect opportunity for you to check out the song.

Ha, you've probably heard enough of "Despacito", then :lol: I definitely like Bieber sometimes, but I don't think his part really adds all that much to the track (aside from some more widely-accessible English lyrics and the general star power of his name being attaced.)

Tansike wrote:Oh, the track that got airplay on that format were actually always songs with featurings, so not instrumental :oops: But as a big fan it’s nice to see her getting at least some radio support nonetheless.
Ah, I should've guessed that! That's still exciting for her, like you said, and it's probably still the most US radio exposure that violin solos will ever get! :lol:

Tansike wrote:So this may be one of the more rare cases when our faves aren’t the same? Granted, as i said, i'm not a big fan of them so i'm not sure if my 'faves' count as 'normal' faves, if that makes sense…

However, I agree about the way too long “Closure”. Like, why the heck so long? :-?
Ha, yeah, I think I hear you: even at their best, none of Maroon 5's material comes anywhere NEAR your actual true "faves" :lol: The standouts on their albums are more of a "best of the worst" situation for you.

Ugh, idk. I mean...it's something different, that's for sure...but I would've preferred if they made the instrumental part into a separate interlude/outro track, because the way they have it now just makes me never want to play "Closure" at all.

Tansike wrote:Interesting... that link is blocked in my country! But i have the album so i just listened to it through my iTunes and while i still don't remember it, i really enjoyed it. The part where it gets 'louder' is really, really good! :o

Aww, sad to hear this about “Invincible”, but I guess you’re not the only one who thinks so, as it was a big flop for her. I was surprised by myself how much I enjoyed the song, easily the best single of “Piece By Piece” for me :oops:
Thanks for giving "Sober" another chance! It didn't make much sense as a single (there was no way radio was going to touch it, even if her label had been willing to push it harder), but it's certainly a highlight of her catalog.

Ah, so "Invincible" even overshadows the title track for you? I guess you did say that the American Idol performance of "PIece By Piece" was the only thing about that song that ever really stood out to you...

Tansike wrote:A few more spins later I have to say my opinion about the album got slightly better, however it’s still hard to choose a fave as it’s all on the same solid level. I think I would go with “My Body” as my favorite track. A shame she released during such a busy time of the year when there are so many other albums I really like… I think “The Architect” is one of the albums I really need to re-visit in the new year.

What are your faves?
I've slowed down with adding new albums to my library (partially because Blue Lips didn't really get a fair chance during the busy Thanksgiving week), so I haven't heard The Architect in full, but "My Body" is pretty interesting :o Paloma doesn't really sound like herself, but there's definitely a funky appeal to the track...

Tansike wrote:Brilliant news for “Delicate”! It’s easily my second most favorite song of the album now, only behind “Don’t Blame Me”, so there’s really bad news for that one haha… Anyway, I’m glad we share the love for “Delicate”. Ah the album also grew back on me, in its third week… it seems to be the first album by her which really needs some time to get into. But I share your thoughts about it being one of her weakest albums.
Is there anything else on reputation that comes close to those two tracks for you? "Delicate" is definitely my standout (probably even moreso than the singles), but "King Of My Heart" isn't TOO far behind, and I like "Gorgeous" a lot more than I expected after reading so much hate when it was released as a promo single :lol: Tay's still totes talented, no doubt about that, but the sound/attitude of several tracks (and this whole era, to an extent) are probably going to keep it toward the bottom of her catalog for me.

Tansike wrote:Bebe, the new country queen :cry:
:lol: I guess somebody's gotta fill Tay's shoes (or should I say boots...?)

Tansike wrote:As I said above, “Delicate” is already my second most favorite song of “Reputation” and I really hope she will release this as a single. It seems to be a fan favorite overall and also reminds me a little bit of “Style” which can only be a good thing :)
:o I hadn't thought about that, but it totally does! No wonder I'm so obsessed with it. :lol:

Tansike wrote:As much as I like Ed, I’m still not that sure about “End Game” being the third single. I really like it, and it’s actually one of the better tracks on the album for me, however sometimes I can’t listen to it in full… it seems like it’s going on for soooo long :oops: “…Ready For It?” and LWYMMD are clearly much better. So, glad they’re still doing so well on your chart :D
"End Game" continues to grow on me, but I hear what you're saying about it feeling too long, which I think has something to do with the fact that Future and Ed both get their own full verses, in addition to all of Tay's parts. Her chorus really sticks in your head, though, and hopefully those guest appearances will help the song's streaming fortunes.

Tansike wrote:I had no idea P!nk’s “Beautiful Trauma” smashed so hard, so I didn’t expect it to be already certified with Platinum, but good for her. You must be REALLY happy that this is the new single now :)
YES! I didn't (well, still don't) think "Revenge" is as God-awful as many others made it seem, but I absolutely prefer BT, so that change in plans was a really exciting to see!

Tansike wrote:Some nice debuts for Tove Lo, unfortunately “Blue Lips” is by far her weakest album to date for me. There’s no highlight on it, all is on the same level, which is solid, but I’m used to much better things when it comes to her :( Judging by the amount of entries you seem to enjoy the album, do you?
Well...Blue Lips just kind of blurred together for me last week (which often happens when I first listen through albums in full, but I think it was even worse than usual due to all the Thanksgiving/travel distractions on my mind.) I've warmed up to it now that I've had another week to really absorb it all, and I've gotten a much better sense of which tracks are my favorites...but I agree that it lacks any moments that hit as hard as some of the stuff from her first two albums (especially "Talking Body" and "True Disaster.") Blue Lips has more appeal than I initially thought, but it's still an easy choice for the weakest of her three LPs.

phoenix98
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:55 pm

Fan wrote:Sorry, my friend! I have been so busy lately that I have totally forgotten to reply to your thread :oops: But here I am..
NoOoOoOo worries! I took 5ever and a day to respond to your last PM (and I'm not exactly the most consistent poster in general), so there's never a need to apologize here. <3

Fan wrote:Hahahaha. Nope, sorry. I still meant basic. Even after seeing those pictures :lol: :lol: I also don't really know his personality, to be honest. But I am the same person who also calls Chris Hemsworth basic. So maybe it has something to do with that :P
...well, except for your comments about Lee. Those absolutely warrant an apology. Funnily enough, I'm more inclined to agree with you about Chris H! I still wouldn't call him "basic", but he's nowhere near the top of my celebrity wish list. It might have something to do with that long hair/wig he always has to wear as Thor...

Fan wrote:Hm, yes. I think R.I.P. was a very good debut single actually, as it was quite different compared to most things that were in the charts back then. Especially compared to How We Do, which is a great one as well, but everyone could have sung that. R.I.P. made her stood out more, in my opinion, and it worked pretty well for her. So got two #1's out of it :lol:
Yeah, there's no denying that "R.I.P." was "different" (even though I'm still surprised that people were so enthusiastic about that particular variety of "different.") Like you said, it did make for a perfect 1-2 punch with "How We Do", though, so their plan clearly worked.

Fan wrote:A Mabel playlist party would be pretty amazing!! Shame you live so far away :(
Mabel is actually playing a show in Amsterdam next year.
Exciting :o Do you have/can you buy tickets yet? Now that I think about it, I'm not sure exactly how far you are from Amsterdam....

Fan wrote:I actually like(d) Adam a lot. Have followed Maroon 5 that much lately, but they were pretty incredibly back in the day (Never Gonna Leave This Bed <3). Jason has some very catchy, if not generic, hits. But Liam is just soo dull :oops: Sorry!
I very much appreciate Adam's vocal/musical contributions...but he's actually never done much for me physically :oops: Especially after the cringe-worthy "Moves Like Jagger" video (with him gyrating around in those tight tight jeans looking utterly emaciated. That über-skinny "punk"/rock look has never been my style.)

Fan wrote:Great to see Paloma hit the top spot last week, though. Have you listened to her new album already? There are some top notch tunes included, I basically listen to the same four songs over and over again :lol:
I haven't yet, but I'd love to know which four songs you're playing over and over again! Tansike recommended "My Body", which seemed pretty interesting on first listen! Paloma doesn't really sound like herself on the track, but there's a funky appeal to it.

Fan wrote:I think we have already talked about Beautiful Trauma before, such a good one. And love the video! Pink surely knows how to deliver.
<3 <3 <3 Channing <3 <3 <3 One of the first celebrities who got me wetter than a rainforest time and time again (well, after 98 Degrees in my even-younger years.) Co-star choice aside, it was really exciting to see BT get a video at all!

Fan wrote:Disco Tits is a fun one.
I still struggle with "Disco Tits" (the spoken-word chorus generally isn't my cup of tea), but thankfully Blue Lips has some more appealing moments in store.

Thanks again, Fan! :D
phoenix98
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:00 pm

Paulboard Top 30
Chart Date: 12/01/17

• Tay takes advantage of a pause in the influx of new albums to spend a second week on top with "Delicate", her first multi-week-No. 1 since "Style" spent seven (non-consecutive) frames at the summit.

01 (01) 03 | "Delicate" - Taylor Swift | 1 (2) | [G]
02 (NE) 01 | "Is Your Love Enough?" - Little Mix | 2 (1)
03 (NE) 01 | "Hey You Got Drugs?" - Tove Lo | 3
04 (NE) 01 | "If I Get My Way" - Little Mix | 4
05 (12) 03 | "End Game" - Taylor Swift ft. Ed Sheeran & Future | 5
06 (02) 03 | "King Of My Heart" - Taylor Swift | 2 (2) | [G]
07 (NE) 01 | "Dear Lover" - Little Mix | 7
08 (10) 03 | "Guilty" - Paloma Faith | 1 (1)
09 (29) 02 | "Don't Ask Don't Tell" - Tove Lo | 9
10 (NE) 01 | "Cycles" - Tove Lo | 10
11 (03) 03 | "Meant To Be" - Bebe Rexha ft. Florida Georgia Line | 3
12 (RE) 05 | "You Are" - GOT7 | 1 (1) | [P]
13 (21) 02 | "Bad Days" - Tove Lo | 13
14 (NE) 01 | "Paris In The Rain" - Lauv | 14
15 (09) 03 | "Call It What You Want" - Taylor Swift | 9
16 (RE) 06 | "Reggaetón Lento (Remix)" - CNCO ft. Little Mix | 4 | [G]
17 (RE) 10 | "Touch" - Little Mix | 1 (1) | [P]
18 (04) 06 | "Anywhere" - Rita Ora | 1 (1) | [P]
19 (06) 03 | "Gorgeous" - Taylor Swift | 4
20 (05) 03 | "...Ready For It?" - Taylor Swift | 5
21 (NE) 01 | "Struggle" - Tove Lo | 21
22 (16) 03 | "Easy Love" - Lauv | 12
23 (RE) 09 | "Shout Out To My Ex" - Little Mix | 1 (1) | [P]
24 (RE) 03 | "Wolves" - Selena Gomez ft. Marshmello | 13
25 (14) 04 | "Seeing Blind" - Niall Horan ft. Maren Morris | 4
26 (13) 07 | "Beautiful Trauma" - P!nk | 1 (1) | [P]
27 (08) 03 | "Dress" - Taylor Swift | 8
28 (20) 02 | "Shedontknowbutsheknows" - Tove Lo | 20
29 (RE) 10 | "Hair" - Little Mix ft. Sean Paul | 5 | [P]
30 (RE) 22 | "Black Magic" - Little Mix | 1 (3) | [3xP]

[GOLD] = 25+ total plays
[PLAT] = 50+ total plays
phoenix98
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:47 pm

I've been listening to "Delicate" today to see what it is that's won you over, and I'm slowly starting to appreciate it more, though it's not even in the same zipcode as "Getaway Car," which isn't here, unfortunately. :(

I'm not that crazy about "End Game" either. "Dress" is nice, though, and sexy, too!

05 (12) 03 | "End Game" - Taylor Swift ft. Ed Sheeran & Future | 5
06 (02) 03 | "King Of My Heart" - Taylor Swift | 2 (2) | [G]
27 (08) 03 | "Dress" - Taylor Swift | 8

phoenix98 wrote:Yeah, there were a couple of factors at play there. Paloma did have a one-day advantage, since I didn't pick up reputation until Saturday...but plenty of acts have overcome similar (or even more severe) obstacles before. The sound of several songs on reputation presented a problem as well (particularly the angrier/shoutier tracks), and the overall attitude of this era still doesn't sit totally well with me (particularly given how she was caught lying about the Kanye "Famous" situation.) I'm definitely more drawn to the tracks that feel like a more natural progression from 1989 (and focus more on romance) than the ones that focus so heavily on how she's misunderstood/this is all just a witch hunt/etc. I'm less bothered by her not being the world's foremost feminist than I am by the total lack of sincere acknowledgement/introspection regarding her own shady, manipulative ways (at most, she does it in a very tongue-in-cheek/winking way, but usually just goes with the "you just don't know what really happened/the real me" angle.)
You pretty succinctly captured my thoughts on Reputation right there. My music library is littered with a various assortment of racists, homophobes, sexists, domestic abuse perpetrators, and the like, so Taylor being disingenuous doesn't even make her the worst f the crop, but her response to the backlash following her actions is juvenile, and for someone whose songwriter I hold in such high regard, I must admit I was disappointed that she didn't really own up to her transgressions, or reveal anything beyond what we already know, on the record. Take Eminem for instance, on "Bad Guy" he basically engages in full-on self-atonement for his homophobic and sexist past, and that is more along the lines of what I expected Taylor to do.

She's developing a disappointing streak of inaction.

phoenix98 wrote:Many thanks! It ended up being a really perfect trip, with just enough time to see all the friends I really wanted and still enjoy plenty of quality family-time on Thanksgiving day itself.
Awesome sauce! 8-)

phoenix98 wrote:Well...being a (debatably) attractive (debatably) straight white dude does tend to help people get off the hook more easily (as opposed to, say, female country stars...or a black female pop/R&B superstar.) I was chatting with a friend about how Eminem seems to have been pretty much totally forgiven (even among much of the LGBTQ+ community) for pretty horrific lyrics/remarks in the past, and she pointed to the same explanation :x It's nice that he's not SO homophobic that he'd refuse to share a stage with Elton, but I don't get why that grants him a free pass to use "f*g" in perpetuity...
The whole hip/hop community frustrates me with their homophobia. It's so hard sometimes being a double minority. Racist gays + homophobic blacks...le struggle is real.

phoenix98 wrote: :o What's this about Camila too? After a quick Google search, I couldn't find any specific quotes, but some insinuations that she might've made comments about fellow/former 5H members...?
There's a whole Twitter page devoted to 'exposing' her shady past.

Receipt #1

Franklin’s music profoundly touched and changed the world, because over and over it offered that bridge to salvation, to freedom.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JakeP » Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:53 pm

Good afternoon Mr Board :D

Wow, you must be loving Delicate as it seems rare to see songs holding at #1 in your chart. I still haven't heard any of Taylor's album tracks as there's nothing on YouTube.

02 (NE) 01 | "Is Your Love Enough?" - Little Mix | 2 (1)

Gosh :o I'm really surprised but happy to see Little Mix getting to #2. They got to #4 with this track but they were never in contention for #1 all week as the top 3 were all close together.

04 (NE) 01 | "If I Get My Way" - Little Mix | 4

I like this, but i don't love it. Enters my chart at #10 but i doubt it'll be sticking around for long.

07 (NE) 01 | "Dear Lover" - Little Mix | 7

This is the most disappointing of the three tracks. I love the intro and the verses, it sounds really quirky and quite camp. :lol: The chorus is nice but then it has a "drop" that makes the entire song sound disjointed. A new entry at #19 but considering its a new track from Little Mix, #19 is quite bad really. It's still better than Nobody like you from the album though. :oops:

Best of the rest:

16 (RE) 06 | "Reggaetón Lento (Remix)" - CNCO ft. Little Mix | 4 | [G]
29 (RE) 10 | "Hair" - Little Mix ft. Sean Paul | 5 | [P]

Loving all the Little Mix re-entries this week. :D
JakeP
Manager

Postby Tansike » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:43 pm

phoenix98 wrote:Yeah, and although I don't really want to give "Rockstar" even MORE streams, I suppose the fact that the video is finally out does make this the perfect opportunity for you to check out the song.

Ha, you've probably heard enough of "Despacito", then :lol: I definitely like Bieber sometimes, but I don't think his part really adds all that much to the track (aside from some more widely-accessible English lyrics and the general star power of his name being attaced.)
Okay, I clicked through it and it wasn’t even that bad as expected, but gosh, I expected him to look SO different :lol: It already has nearly 70 million views within a few days, so he’ll most likely stay at #1 for now… :roll:

Good to know :lol:

phoenix98 wrote:Ah, I should've guessed that! That's still exciting for her, like you said, and it's probably still the most US radio exposure that violin solos will ever get! :lol:
True (and sad, kinda) … a shame the chart didn’t have the same rules a few years back when her song “Crystallize” was absolutely huge on YouTube, who knows, maybe radio would have started to play this track once it would have been a Hot 100 hit…

phoenix98 wrote:Ha, yeah, I think I hear you: even at their best, none of Maroon 5's material comes anywhere NEAR your actual true "faves" :lol: The standouts on their albums are more of a "best of the worst" situation for you.

Ugh, idk. I mean...it's something different, that's for sure...but I would've preferred if they made the instrumental part into a separate interlude/outro track, because the way they have it now just makes me never want to play "Closure" at all.
Yes, this is true, however I meant it different. Like, I’m not a fan of them, so my faves are probably not the ‘normal’ faves Maroon 5 fans have. Hope it kinda makes sense :oops:

Same!

phoenix98 wrote:Thanks for giving "Sober" another chance! It didn't make much sense as a single (there was no way radio was going to touch it, even if her label had been willing to push it harder), but it's certainly a highlight of her catalog.

Ah, so "Invincible" even overshadows the title track for you? I guess you did say that the American Idol performance of "PIece By Piece" was the only thing about that song that ever really stood out to you...
Yeah, it’s a really strange single choice for sure, but it definitely deserved some success as it’s actually really good. I just looked it up and I’m shocked it didn’t enter the Hot 100 at all :o

Yep, it does. You remember that correctly, the live performance was absolutely stunning and I got tears in my eyes more than once watching it, so the performance itself is better than everything else of that era, however, the song itself (“Piece By Piece”) never did that much for me, so “Invincible” is the best single (and probably best track of the album overall) for me… :oops:

phoenix98 wrote:I've slowed down with adding new albums to my library (partially because Blue Lips didn't really get a fair chance during the busy Thanksgiving week), so I haven't heard The Architect in full, but "My Body" is pretty interesting :o Paloma doesn't really sound like herself, but there's definitely a funky appeal to the track...
Okay, this shocks me a little bit now, because I thought you were so excited about Paloma’s new album :o But, on the other side, I completely get what you mean, as there were sooo many new releases lately and some of these didn’t get the time to shine for me as well, which was really sad. It’s incredible how the fourth quarter of the year always is, while sometimes it’s absolutely boring during the first half year…
Nice to hear you enjoyed “My Body” :) I’m currently (finally) getting into “Guilty”… :wink:

phoenix98 wrote:Is there anything else on reputation that comes close to those two tracks for you? "Delicate" is definitely my standout (probably even moreso than the singles), but "King Of My Heart" isn't TOO far behind, and I like "Gorgeous" a lot more than I expected after reading so much hate when it was released as a promo single :lol: Tay's still totes talented, no doubt about that, but the sound/attitude of several tracks (and this whole era, to an extent) are probably going to keep it toward the bottom of her catalog for me.
Definitely “I Did Something Bad”. So my Top5 are “Don’t Blame Me”, “Delicate”, “I Did Something Bad” and the two singles LWYMMD and RFI. So, it’s kinda funny all the ‘overproduced’ stuff (except “Delicate”) are my faves :lol: “Gorgeous” grew on me after disliking it as a promo track, “King Of My Heart” is cute too. To be fair nothing is bad on the album. Oh and “Call It What You Want” is growing on me too. I think this album will have some legs with me, despite being not blown away at all at first :)

phoenix98 wrote: :o I hadn't thought about that, but it totally does! No wonder I'm so obsessed with it. :lol:
:cool:

phoenix98 wrote:"End Game" continues to grow on me, but I hear what you're saying about it feeling too long, which I think has something to do with the fact that Future and Ed both get their own full verses, in addition to all of Tay's parts. Her chorus really sticks in your head, though, and hopefully those guest appearances will help the song's streaming fortunes.
Ah yes, that’s probably the reason. Also, as you say, I still think the chorus is really good, she really delivers on her parts, and they’re really catchy too and have that ‘sing-along’-thing on them. It still feels too obvious to be a single to me though, with Future and Ed being big this year and delivering the streaming points.

phoenix98 wrote:Well...Blue Lips just kind of blurred together for me last week (which often happens when I first listen through albums in full, but I think it was even worse than usual due to all the Thanksgiving/travel distractions on my mind.) I've warmed up to it now that I've had another week to really absorb it all, and I've gotten a much better sense of which tracks are my favorites...but I agree that it lacks any moments that hit as hard as some of the stuff from her first two albums (especially "Talking Body" and "True Disaster.") Blue Lips has more appeal than I initially thought, but it's still an easy choice for the weakest of her three LPs.
Glad to hear you got some more time to get into “Blue Lips”, even though I’m already completely over it :oops: My expectations were too big, I consider “Queen Of The Clouds” and “Lady Wood” as two awesome pop albums, probably in the league of Rachel Platten’s releases or Carly Rae Jepsen’s “Emotion”, while “Blue Lips” is sooo much behind that level :(

On to the current chart... fantastic run for "Delicate" so far! Glad it's smashing the way it does!
I'm impressed by this weeks climb for "End Game" - i guess you got even more into it? Or did you listen more to it since it's 100% sure it's the next single?

Just checked out your #2 and it's actually quite nice. I didn't listen to the re-release of their new album as my interest is near zero but maybe i should now enjoying this? And "Touch" remains a great song too... pop music at its best!

Impressive debut for "Hey You Got Drugs?"... it's actually the only song which i still remember, or at least better than all other songs except "Disco Tits" when it comes to Tove Lo's new album, so i don't mind this being her highest charting track this week :D

Nice to see "Meant To Be", "Anywhere" and "Seeing Blind" still charting, even if all of them fall a lot this week. Also nice re-entry for "Wolves" :)
Tansike
Legend

Return to Personal Charts