Paulboard Top 30 | 04.20.18 | you're on the ceiling...

Moderators: JSparksFan, tdc2000, FreakyFlyBry

Postby phoenix98 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:30 pm

Many thanks and much love for all the comments! :D

JSparksFan wrote:I've been listening to "Delicate" today to see what it is that's won you over, and I'm slowly starting to appreciate it more, though it's not even in the same zipcode as "Getaway Car," which isn't here, unfortunately. :(

I'm not that crazy about "End Game" either. "Dress" is nice, though, and sexy, too!
I'm still a little sad (but not totally shocked, after seeing your recent charts) that "Getaway Car" and "Delicate" can't even be neighbors in your world :cry: Your enthusiasm for "Getaway Car" definitely inspired me to give it more attention this past week, and it NARROWLY missed out on re-entering my latest chart.

"End Game" enjoyed the fairly-rare experience of steady, continuous growth over its first three weeks here (No. 20 -> No. 12 -> No. 5), and although it won't be going any higher (for now), I'm pretty on-board with it being a single. Tay's hook is really solid (as well as the way she sings that "it's like your eyes are liquor, it's like your body is gold..." part), and although the track can feel a little drawn-out at times, it's cool that both Future + Ed get their own unique verses (without it feeling like Tay was relegated to hook girl on her own song.) It does feel a little soon for them to already be actively promoting single #3, but I'm definitely rooting for it!

JSparksFan wrote:You pretty succinctly captured my thoughts on Reputation right there. My music library is littered with a various assortment of racists, homophobes, sexists, domestic abuse perpetrators, and the like, so Taylor being disingenuous doesn't even make her the worst f the crop, but her response to the backlash following her actions is juvenile, and for someone whose songwriter I hold in such high regard, I must admit I was disappointed that she didn't really own up to her transgressions, or reveal anything beyond what we already know, on the record. Take Eminem for instance, on "Bad Guy" he basically engages in full-on self-atonement for his homophobic and sexist past, and that is more along the lines of what I expected Taylor to do.

She's developing a disappointing streak of inaction.
Speaking of inaction, a part of me feels like it might've been better if she'd just done another pop-ish album that didn't touch on any Katy or Kanye drama, instead of responding the way she has on reputation. The stance she's chosen to take/the way she's chosen to respond ("Yeah, yeah, yeah I'm SoOo terrrible. Whatever - you weren't there, you don't know know me, you just love to judge the innocent...") just makes her look worse :-? That said, I'm obviously still enjoying a lot of this new material, and I don't believe she's said or done anything TRULY reprehensible - just cringey and disappointing at times (particularly for someone who'd been caught red-handed.)

JSparksFan wrote:The whole hip/hop community frustrates me with their homophobia. It's so hard sometimes being a double minority. Racist gays + homophobic blacks...le struggle is real.
**Sigh**

**Hug**

It's nuts. Not ONLY do you have to deal with compounded discrimination from people who can't relate to you on any level...but you can't even find solace with people who share aspects of your identity, because they'll still have a problem with ANOTHER aspect of your identity :x Uughhhh. At a time when people REALLY need to be getting along and banding together more than ever, they continue to lash out at others within their own groups and just divide themselves even further. I swear, it feels like being animals in a cage sometimes, where instead of working together to fight our way out, we just turn against each other and tear each other apart...

JSparksFan wrote:There's a whole Twitter page devoted to 'exposing' her shady past.
:o Well, that's pretty horrific...

I definitely fumble and struggle over if/when to forgive, though. Certain actions are truly irredeemable, but I also don't want to be too quick to completely dismiss people (partially because there's even less incentive from them to motivate or change if it's always a one-strike-and-you're-out system.) Sometimes it feels like I'm just making excuses ("They were so young, they were going through rough time, etc."), but I also want to be able to view actions (even rather awful ones) in context and not jump at the chance to crucify everybody and anybody. Idk...

Thanks again, Akini! :D
phoenix98
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:45 pm

JakeP wrote:Good afternoon Mr Board :D
8-)

G'day, Jake! :D

JakeP wrote:01 (01) 03 | "Delicate" - Taylor Swift | 1 (2) | [G]

Wow, you must be loving Delicate as it seems rare to see songs holding at #1 in your chart. I still haven't heard any of Taylor's album tracks as there's nothing on YouTube.
It has indeed been especially tumultuous here lately! The last multi-week-No. 1 was Hailee's "Let Me Go" with two weeks back in mid-September.

Ha, yeah, they REALLY wanted to ensure those milli+ first week sales at all costs...but I think it's available on every platform now, so hopefully you get a chance to check out more of the album soon! I'm clearly pretty enthusiastic about "Delicate", but there's definitely even more gems to discover...

JakeP wrote:02 (NE) 01 | "Is Your Love Enough?" - Little Mix | 2 (1)

Gosh :o I'm really surprised but happy to see Little Mix getting to #2. They got to #4 with this track but they were never in contention for #1 all week as the top 3 were all close together.
Damn, the fact that brand-new Little Mix music was never even a threat for No. 1 says a lot about your unenthusiasm for these particular offerings :lol: IYLE? is fun enough, catchy enough to keep me coming back, but I can definitely understand some disappointment when these tracks were deemed worthy enough by their team to push aside everything left on the original Glory Days and re-release the album. The tactic is nothing new, but I get how people had higher expectations for what's essentially a mini/semi-"lead single."

JakeP wrote:04 (NE) 01 | "If I Get My Way" - Little Mix | 4

I like this, but i don't love it. Enters my chart at #10 but i doubt it'll be sticking around for long.
The whole "Let me outta the damn friendzone already!" theme of this one is pretty universal, and the "I'mma take care of yOoOoOoUu" hook just might help it eclipse IYLE? for me. The whole pre-chorus is pretty infectious too, actually! It's no "Shout Out To My Ex", or "Touch", and nowhere NEAR "Black Magic", but I'm still boppin' to it (for now....) :wink:

JakeP wrote:07 (NE) 01 | "Dear Lover" - Little Mix | 7

This is the most disappointing of the three tracks. I love the intro and the verses, it sounds really quirky and quite camp. :lol: The chorus is nice but then it has a "drop" that makes the entire song sound disjointed. A new entry at #19 but considering its a new track from Little Mix, #19 is quite bad really. It's still better than Nobody like you from the album though. :oops:
Disjointed is SO right :lol: That slowed-down, acoustic chorus comes outta nowhere, and then abruptly transitions right back into trop-house territory. It's the least endearing of these three newbies...but yeah, at least it does more for me than "Nobody Like You" ;) and "Down & Dirty", for that matter...

Thanks again, Jake! :D
phoenix98
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:55 pm

Tansike wrote:Okay, I clicked through it and it wasn’t even that bad as expected, but gosh, I expected him to look SO different :lol: It already has nearly 70 million views within a few days, so he’ll most likely stay at #1 for now… :roll:
As in...he looks much BETTER than you expected? :wink: :wink: :wink:

Post Malone's sex appeal aside, it seems that Ed+Bey are basically guaranteed to dethrone him on the next Hot 100. I guess Camila will have to wait at least a little longer for her first US No. 1 :oops: Maybe even a WHILE longer, since I'm not too confident about "Never Be The Same" managing it...

Tansike wrote:True (and sad, kinda) … a shame the chart didn’t have the same rules a few years back when her song “Crystallize” was absolutely huge on YouTube, who knows, maybe radio would have started to play this track once it would have been a Hot 100 hit…
Ah, I'd totally forgotten about that one :oops: I'm pretty sure Akini was/is a pretty massive fan of it too!

Tansike wrote:Yes, this is true, however I meant it different. Like, I’m not a fan of them, so my faves are probably not the ‘normal’ faves Maroon 5 fans have. Hope it kinda makes sense :oops:
:o OH! Whoops :lol: I think I ACTUALLY understand you now: your favorite M5 tracks aren't the usual/typical/fan-favorite picks.

Tansike wrote:Yeah, it’s a really strange single choice for sure, but it definitely deserved some success as it’s actually really good. I just looked it up and I’m shocked it didn’t enter the Hot 100 at all :o

Yep, it does. You remember that correctly, the live performance was absolutely stunning and I got tears in my eyes more than once watching it, so the performance itself is better than everything else of that era, however, the song itself (“Piece By Piece”) never did that much for me, so “Invincible” is the best single (and probably best track of the album overall) for me… :oops:
That was certainly one of the periods when she really fought for what she wanted the most, so I imagine she might've really pushed to make it a single...which is understandable, since it's a gorgeous track that deserves attention, but also the kind of track that radio would really hesitate to spin (even coming from an established name like hers.)

YES! A performance that truly moved many to tears (myself included) :cry: It was also refreshing to see such a beautiful, tender performance like that turn into a "viral moment", since those usually seem to happen with more light-hearted/playful clips (or new dance routines.)

Tansike wrote:Okay, this shocks me a little bit now, because I thought you were so excited about Paloma’s new album :o But, on the other side, I completely get what you mean, as there were sooo many new releases lately and some of these didn’t get the time to shine for me as well, which was really sad. It’s incredible how the fourth quarter of the year always is, while sometimes it’s absolutely boring during the first half year…

Nice to hear you enjoyed “My Body” :) I’m currently (finally) getting into “Guilty”… :wink:
Well, I definitely liked both singles ("Crybaby" got to No. 2 with a Platinum cert, then "Guilty" all the way to No. 1 and already Gold), but I've never checked out a full Paloma album before. Dua Lipa has been my focus this week, but The Architect will probably be next on my list (though I still haven't added Beautiful Trauma to my library...and I told Fan I'd check out more of Mabel's stuff at some point...) :lol:

:o Dare I hope for "Guilty" to debut on your chart...? Actually, your comment got my so curious that I had to go check right away - and I'm definitely pleased! :D So the album's already redeeming itself for you?

Tansike wrote:Definitely “I Did Something Bad”. So my Top5 are “Don’t Blame Me”, “Delicate”, “I Did Something Bad” and the two singles LWYMMD and RFI. So, it’s kinda funny all the ‘overproduced’ stuff (except “Delicate”) are my faves :lol: “Gorgeous” grew on me after disliking it as a promo track, “King Of My Heart” is cute too. To be fair nothing is bad on the album. Oh and “Call It What You Want” is growing on me too. I think this album will have some legs with me, despite being not blown away at all at first :)
Ha, "over-produced" is a good way of describing those :lol: But I still really like some of them anyway too! "Don't Blame Me" and "I Did Something Bad" haven't sat as well with me, but I might come to appreciate the more soulful vibe of "Don't Blame Me" in time. I can't really get into the sound or the substance of "I Did Something Bad", though... :oops:

Tansike wrote:Ah yes, that’s probably the reason. Also, as you say, I still think the chorus is really good, she really delivers on her parts, and they’re really catchy too and have that ‘sing-along’-thing on them. It still feels too obvious to be a single to me though, with Future and Ed being big this year and delivering the streaming points.
**Nod** Yeah, the sing-along factor definitely enhances its single status. Ha, I think we were saying something similar about "Seeing Blind": how the fact that it's the only track on the album with features (especially ones as high-profile as Ed right now) really makes it seem like it was planned to be a single.

Tansike wrote:Glad to hear you got some more time to get into “Blue Lips”, even though I’m already completely over it :oops: My expectations were too big, I consider “Queen Of The Clouds” and “Lady Wood” as two awesome pop albums, probably in the league of Rachel Platten’s releases or Carly Rae Jepsen’s “Emotion”, while “Blue Lips” is sooo much behind that level :(
:lol: Ouch! I mean, I knew neither of us were SUPER enthusiastic about, but I'm a little surprised that you're already completely over it. Maybe you can give it another chance during the slow Q1 period of 2018...?

Tansike wrote:On to the current chart... fantastic run for "Delicate" so far! Glad it's smashing the way it does!
I'm impressed by this weeks climb for "End Game" - i guess you got even more into it? Or did you listen more to it since it's 100% sure it's the next single?
A little bit of both! It's genuinely been growing on me (Tay's parts in particular have been sticking in my head), but I've also been watching it take off on US iTunes already (and at radio too...well, sort of, at least.)

Tansike wrote:Just checked out your #2 and it's actually quite nice. I didn't listen to the re-release of their new album as my interest is near zero but maybe i should now enjoying this? And "Touch" remains a great song too... pop music at its best!
Thanks for checking it out! I don't think these new re-release tracks are quite as enjoyable as some of the stuff on the original Glory Days - but they're still catchy/fun enough to keep me coming back (at least for now), and I'm all for you giving Little Mix more chances! :D

Thanks again, Tansike! :D
phoenix98
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:00 pm

Paulboard Top 30
Chart Date: 12/08/17

• With her full album finally added to my music library, Dua Lipa manages to collect her second Paulboard No. 1 (following "New Rules" earlier this year) with older offering "Hotter Than Hell."

TW | LW | WKS ON | TITLE | ARTIST | PEAK | CERT

01 (NE) 01 | "Hotter Than Hell" - Dua Lipa | 1 (1)
02 (NE) 01 | "Room For 2" - Dua Lipa | 2 (1)
03 (04) 02 | "If I Get My Way" - Little Mix | 3
04 (NE) 01 | "Genesis" - Dua Lipa | 4
05 (02) 02 | "Is Your Love Enough?" - Little Mix | 2 (1)
06 (NE) 01 | "Last Dance" - Dua Lipa | 6
07 (NE) 01 | "New Love" - Dua Lipa | 7
08 (01) 04 | "Delicate" - Taylor Swift | 1 (2) | [G]
09 (NE) 01 | "Christmas C'mon" - Lindsey Stirling ft. Becky G | 9
10 (07) 02 | "Dear Lover" - Little Mix | 7
11 (NE) 01 | "IDGAF" - Dua Lipa | 11
12 (RE) 09 | "New Rules" - Dua Lipa | 1 (1) | [P]
13 (NE) 01 | "Blow Your Mind (Mwah)" - Dua Lipa | 13
14 (05) 04 | "End Game" - Taylor Swift ft. Ed Sheeran & Future | 5 | [G]
15 (19) 04 | "Gorgeous" - Taylor Swift | 4 | [G]
16 (NE) 01 | "Dreams" - Dua Lipa | 16
17 (RE) 08 | "Lost In Your Light" - Dua Lipa ft. Miguel | 3 | [P]
18 (NE) 01 | "Puppies Are Forever" - Sia | 18
19 (03) 02 | "Hey You Got Drugs?" - Tove Lo | 3
20 (08) 04 | "Guilty" - Paloma Faith | 1 (1) | [G]
21 (20) 04 | "...Ready For It?" - Taylor Swift | 5
22 (06) 04 | "King Of My Heart" - Taylor Swift | 2 (2) | [G]
23 (10) 02 | "Cycles" - Tove Lo | 10
24 (NE) 01 | "Garden" - Dua Lipa | 24
25 (NE) 01 | "No Goodbyes" - Dua Lipa | 25
26 (NE) 01 | "Perfect (Duet)" - Ed Sheeran ft. Beyoncé | 26
27 (14) 02 | "Paris In The Rain" - Lauv | 14
28 (NE) 01 | "Homesick" - Dua Lipa | 28
29 (NE) 01 | "Begging" - Dua Lipa | 29
30 (15) 04 | "Call It What You Want" - Taylor Swift | 9

[GOLD] = 25+ total plays
[PLAT] = 50+ total plays
phoenix98
Legend

Postby JakeP » Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:42 pm

Hey Paul :D

So i can exclusively reveal that Little Mix are down to just the one entry in my new chart which will be posted later.

So to your new chart, and i soon as i saw the Dua Lipa domination, i couldn't help but smile in amazement. Reason being Homesick has been plucking at my heart strings all week, and after performing the song on Sounds like Friday night last night, it's given the song another boost. I've also bought the song on iTunes, which is always a good sign. Shame its at the lower end of the top 30, i'm guessing you're not overly keen on the song. :(

01 (NE) 01 | "Hotter Than Hell" - Dua Lipa | 1 (1)

This is like a throwback Thursday moment. Got to #4 in my chart last year. :P

03 (04) 02 | "If I Get My Way" - Little Mix | 3

...and indeed this has climbed. Did you ever think you would find yourself loving new Little Mix music more than me? :lol:

09 (NE) 01 | "Christmas C'mon" - Lindsey Stirling ft. Becky G | 9

Aww, Lindsey and Becky spreading that festive cheer. :D

My other favourites this week are:

05 (02) 02 | "Is Your Love Enough?" - Little Mix | 2 (1)
06 (NE) 01 | "Last Dance" - Dua Lipa | 6
10 (07) 02 | "Dear Lover" - Little Mix | 7
12 (RE) 09 | "New Rules" - Dua Lipa | 1 (1) | [P]
13 (NE) 01 | "Blow Your Mind (Mwah)" - Dua Lipa | 13
15 (19) 04 | "Gorgeous" - Taylor Swift | 4 | [G]
20 (08) 04 | "Guilty" - Paloma Faith | 1 (1) | [G]
21 (20) 04 | "...Ready For It?" - Taylor Swift | 5
26 (NE) 01 | "Perfect (Duet)" - Ed Sheeran ft. Beyoncé | 26
28 (NE) 01 | "Homesick" - Dua Lipa | 28
30 (15) 04 | "Call It What You Want" - Taylor Swift | 9
JakeP
Manager

Postby phoenix98 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:50 pm

JakeP wrote:Hey Paul :D
Hi-Diddily-Ho, Jake! :D

JakeP wrote:So to your new chart, and i soon as i saw the Dua Lipa domination, i couldn't help but smile in amazement. Reason being Homesick has been plucking at my heart strings all week, and after performing the song on Sounds like Friday night last night, it's given the song another boost. I've also bought the song on iTunes, which is always a good sign. Shame its at the lower end of the top 30, i'm guessing you're not overly keen on the song. :(
Now's my turn to smile as I read about how much the Duamination pleased you :D I've definitely been late to the Dua party on basically all counts: I didn't really start paying attention to her at ALL until I downloaded "Scared To Be Lonely" this past February, and she didn't score her first Paulboard hit as a lead until "Lost In Your Light" debuted (and peaked) at No. 3 in April. "New Rules" blew both of those out of the water in July, but I still didn't give her album a chance until the other week, and I'm really impressed/kicking myself for not checking her out sooner!

Long story short: "Homesick" did get lost in the shuffle a bit, since most of that 17-track album was brand-new to my ears, but it's certainly lovely and has a very fittingly soft, wintry sound for this time of year! Hopefully she gives it a proper push so all this awesome "New Rules" momentum doesn't go to waste.

JakeP wrote:This is like a throwback Thursday moment. Got to #4 in my chart last year. :P
It looks like "IDGAF" is going to be her next single here in the US, but I'd rather they push this or "Last Dance" instead (since I don't think either got any kind of push here during their original UK releases, and they're both much stronger selections.)

JakeP wrote:...and indeed this has climbed. Did you ever think you would find yourself loving new Little Mix music more than me? :lol:
Sadly, it seems like Little Mix have found a way to REALLY underwhelm you with this bunch :( Granted, I don't think they've done any proper promo for any of the new tracks yet, so maybe a killer video and/or live performance(s) could help improve your opinion at least a little...?

...or they just need to bring on stronger material for LP5 next year! :lol:

JakeP wrote:Aww, Lindsey and Becky spreading that festive cheer. :D
I haven't checked out TOO many new Christmas offerings this year (and the few that I have are mostly due to Tansike's chart) :lol: but this tune is easily my favorite of what I've heard so far!

phoenix98
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:00 pm

Paulboard Top 30
Chart Date: 12/15/17

• Lauv splashes his way to No. 1 once again with "Paris In The Rain" (having also taken his "I Like Me Better" to the top back in July.)

01 (27) 03 | "Paris In The Rain" - Lauv | 1 (1) | [G]
02 (01) 02 | "Hotter Than Hell" - Dua Lipa | 1 (1) | [G]
03 (NE) 01 | "Heart Shaker" - TWICE | 3
04 (03) 03 | "If I Get My Way" - Little Mix | 3 | [G]
05 (02) 02 | "Room For 2" - Dua Lipa | 2 (1)
06 (28) 02 | "Homesick" - Dua Lipa | 6
07 (12) 10 | "New Rules" - Dua Lipa | 1 (1) | [P]
08 (RE) 02 | "Getaway Car" - Taylor Swift | 8
09 (21) 05 | "...Ready For It?" - Taylor Swift | 5 | [G]
10 (29) 02 | "Begging" - Dua Lipa | 10
11 (RE) 04 | "Easy Love" - Lauv | 11
12 (11) 02 | "IDGAF" - Dua Lipa | 11
13 (08) 05 | "Delicate" - Taylor Swift | 1 (2) | [G]
14 (22) 05 | "King Of My Heart" - Taylor Swift | 2 (2) | [G]
15 (30) 05 | "Call It What You Want" - Taylor Swift | 9 | [G]
16 (25) 02 | "No Goodbyes" - Dua Lipa | 16
17 (13) 02 | "Blow Your Mind (Mwah)" - Dua Lipa | 13
18 (10) 03 | "Dear Lover" - Little Mix | 7
19 (20) 05 | "Guilty" - Paloma Faith | 1 (1) | [G]
20 (RE) 07 | "A Different Way" - DJ Snake ft. Lauv | 1 (1) | [P]
21 (06) 02 | "Last Dance" - Dua Lipa | 6
22 (04) 02 | "Genesis" - Dua Lipa | 4
23 (RE) 12 | "KNOCK KNOCK" - TWICE | 1 (3) | [2xP]
24 (05) 03 | "Is Your Love Enough?" - Little Mix | 2 (1) | [G]
25 (14) 05 | "End Game" - Taylor Swift ft. Ed Sheeran & Future | 5 | [G]
26 (24) 02 | "Garden" - Dua Lipa | 24
27 (RE) 05 | "Be The One" - Dua Lipa | 13 | [G]
28 (07) 02 | "New Love" - Dua Lipa | 7
29 (15) 05 | "Gorgeous" - Taylor Swift | 4 | [G]
30 (RE) 04 | "Meant To Be" - Bebe Rexha ft. Florida Georgia Line | 3 | [G]

[GOLD] = 25+ total plays
[PLAT] = 50+ total plays
phoenix98
Legend

Postby JakeP » Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:27 pm

^ It was the sheer co-incidence re; Dua Lipa that surprised me in a good way. ;)

Hmm tbh if i had loved at least one of the Little Mix tracks it would've been performing much better already in my chart. Even if one of them do get a music video or live performance i can't see any of the songs peaking much higher than already have. This is coming from the guy who thought [b]Beautiful trauma[/i] would peaked in its first run at #10, yet there it is currently at #6 so you never really know. :lol:

Let's check out this weeks selection:

01 (27) 03 | "Paris In The Rain" - Lauv | 1 (1) | [G]

Sorry Paul but i just gave this a listen out of interest and it did nothing for me. :oops: :( Well, it's not hideous or anything, just a bit bland compared to I like me better which i loved because it was a quirky pop song that stood out.

06 (28) 02 | "Homesick" - Dua Lipa | 6

:D Amazing climb, so lovely seeing this gorgeous song making huge gains in your chart this week. Shame it's unlikely to get the single treatment but regardless i adore this song. <3

24 (05) 03 | "Is Your Love Enough?" - Little Mix | 2 (1) | [G]

I'm surprised this is now lower than Dear lover. :lol: For me, this is easily the best of the three new singles.

30 (RE) 04 | "Meant To Be" - Bebe Rexha ft. Florida Georgia Line | 3

I was late to this party but i finally checked this out last week and really enjoyed the song. Should be a decent sized hit for Bebe in my chart.
JakeP
Manager

Postby phoenix98 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:25 pm

JakeP wrote:^ It was the sheer co-incidence re; Dua Lipa that surprised me in a good way. ;)
Always a nice surprise to see some perfectly-coordinated chart crossover between us (especially when it's something a bit more random/unexpected like "Homesick" and not a highly-anticipated brand-new-single.) :D

JakeP wrote:Hmm tbh if i had loved at least one of the Little Mix tracks it would've been performing much better already in my chart. Even if one of them do get a music video or live performance i can't see any of the songs peaking much higher than already have. This is coming from the guy who thought Beautiful trauma would peaked in its first run at #10, yet there it is currently at #6 so you never really know. :lol:
Although I'd be glad if at least one of these Platinum Edition tracks could end up really clicking with you somehow, I'm definitely more relieved that BT managed to turn itself around! :lol:

JakeP wrote:Sorry Paul but i just gave this a listen out of interest and it did nothing for me. :oops: :( Well, it's not hideous or anything, just a bit bland compared to I like me better which i loved because it was a quirky pop song that stood out.
Aw :( Poor Lauv has really turned out to be a one-hit-wonder for you, eh? At least we'll always have a shared appreciation of "I Like Me Better." <3

JakeP wrote::D Amazing climb, so lovely seeing this gorgeous song making huge gains in your chart this week. Shame it's unlikely to get the single treatment but regardless i adore this song. <3
Ah, I'd been thinking it WAS her current single (at least in the UK and mainland Europe) based on what I'd glanced in this thread, but I guess its release was actually limited to just one or two smaller markets? Maybe just The Netherlands? That's a shame, cause it seems especially well suited to be a winter/holiday-time hit. If they're really not pushing ANYTHING in the UK right now, that seems like a HUGE missed opportunity :-? "New Rules" is still climbing the Hot 100, so I can understand holding off on pushing another single here in the US, but "New Rules" peaked many months ago in the UK...

JakeP wrote:I'm surprised this is now lower than Dear lover. :lol: For me, this is easily the best of the three new singles.
Ha, well, there's still more flip-flopping left in store for these... ;)

JakeP wrote:I was late to this party but i finally checked this out last week and really enjoyed the song. Should be a decent sized hit for Bebe in my chart.
I like the sound of that! I wouldn't say you're all that late, considering it hasn't started taking off in the UK at all yet (if it ever does...?)

phoenix98
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:30 pm

Paulboard Top 30
Chart Date: 12/22/17

• Charli XCX recruits one of Paulboard's most accomplished acts to help nab her third No. 1 of 2017 with "Backseat." Happy holidays! :D

01 (NE) 01 | "Backseat" - Charli XCX ft. Carly Rae Jepsen | 1 (1)
02 (03) 02 | "Heart Shaker" - TWICE | 2 (1) | [G]
03 (NE) 01 | "Out Of My Head" - Charli XCX ft. Alma & Tove Lo | 3
04 (NE) 01 | "Track 10" - Charli XCX | 4
05 (NE) 01 | "Femmebot" - Charli XCX ft. Dorian Electra & Mykki Blanco | 5
06 (RE) 11 | "3AM (Pull Up)" - Charli XCX ft. MØ | 1 (2) | [P]
07 (NE) 01 | "Tears" - Charli XCX ft. Caroline Polachek | 7
08 (NE) 01 | "Unlock It" - Charli XCX ft. Kim Petras & Jay Park | 8
09 (23) 13 | "KNOCK KNOCK" - TWICE | 1 (3) | [2xP]
10 (24) 04 | "Is Your Love Enough?" - Little Mix | 2 (1) | [G]
11 (11) 05 | "Easy Love" - Lauv | 11 | [G]
12 (01) 04 | "Paris In The Rain" - Lauv | 1 (1) | [G]
13 (RE) 09 | "As If It's Your Last" - BLACKPINK | 1 (1) | [P]
14 (02) 03 | "Hotter Than Hell" - Dua Lipa | 1 (1) | [G]
15 (04) 04 | "If I Get My Way" - Little Mix | 3 | [G]
16 (13) 06 | "Delicate" - Taylor Swift | 1 (2) | [P]
17 (29) 06 | "Gorgeous" - Taylor Swift | 4 | [G]
18 (NE) 01 | "Lucky" - Charli XCX | 18
19 (05) 03 | "Room For 2" - Dua Lipa | 2 (1) | [G]
20 (06) 03 | "Homesick" - Dua Lipa | 6
21 (22) 03 | "Genesis" - Dua Lipa | 4
22 (16) 03 | "No Goodbyes" - Dua Lipa | 16
23 (RE) 05 | "ILY2" - Charli XCX | 4 | [G]
24 (NE) 01 | "I Got It" - Charli XCX ft. Brooke Candy, Cupcakke, & Pabllo Vittar | 24
25 (07) 11 | "New Rules" - Dua Lipa | 1 (1) | [P]
26 (10) 03 | "Begging" - Dua Lipa | 10
27 (17) 03 | "Blow Your Mind (Mwah)" - Dua Lipa | 13
28 (12) 03 | "IDGAF" - Dua Lipa | 11
29 (18) 04 | "Dear Lover" - Little Mix | 7 | [G]
30 (NE) 01 | "Delicious" - Charli XCX ft. Tommy Cash | 30

[GOLD] = 25+ total plays
[PLAT] = 50+ total plays
phoenix98
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:58 am

Happy holidays, Paul! :D

I'm listening to "Backseat" now, and I'm tempted to not finish it. On the bright side, I remember seeing "As If It's Your Last" in my Spotify library the other day and wondering where it came from - it came from you! :lol: I still like that one. :wink:

13 (RE) 09 | "As If It's Your Last" - BLACKPINK | 1 (1) | [P]
14 (02) 03 | "Hotter Than Hell" - Dua Lipa | 1 (1) | [G]
16 (13) 06 | "Delicate" - Taylor Swift | 1 (2) | [P]
17 (29) 06 | "Gorgeous" - Taylor Swift | 4 | [G]
25 (07) 11 | "New Rules" - Dua Lipa | 1 (1) | [P]

phoenix98 wrote:I'm still a little sad (but not totally shocked, after seeing your recent charts) that "Getaway Car" and "Delicate" can't even be neighbors in your world :cry: Your enthusiasm for "Getaway Car" definitely inspired me to give it more attention this past week, and it NARROWLY missed out on re-entering my latest chart.
Likewise, your championing of "Delicate" got me to play it to the point that I considered it worthy to add to my Spotify library.

phoenix98 wrote:"End Game" enjoyed the fairly-rare experience of steady, continuous growth over its first three weeks here (No. 20 -> No. 12 -> No. 5), and although it won't be going any higher (for now), I'm pretty on-board with it being a single. Tay's hook is really solid (as well as the way she sings that "it's like your eyes are liquor, it's like your body is gold..." part), and although the track can feel a little drawn-out at times, it's cool that both Future + Ed get their own unique verses (without it feeling like Tay was relegated to hook girl on her own song.) It does feel a little soon for them to already be actively promoting single #3, but I'm definitely rooting for it!
I definitely need to revisit "End Game". I just hope "Getaway Car" gets released as a single at some point.

phoenix98 wrote:Speaking of inaction, a part of me feels like it might've been better if she'd just done another pop-ish album that didn't touch on any Katy or Kanye drama, instead of responding the way she has on reputation. The stance she's chosen to take/the way she's chosen to respond ("Yeah, yeah, yeah I'm SoOo terrrible. Whatever - you weren't there, you don't know know me, you just love to judge the innocent...") just makes her look worse :-? That said, I'm obviously still enjoying a lot of this new material, and I don't believe she's said or done anything TRULY reprehensible - just cringey and disappointing at times (particularly for someone who'd been caught red-handed.)
Also as someone who has marketed herself as America's sweetheart. Poor Taylor in 2008, who had her heart broken via phone call by that awful Joe Jonas. Poor Taylor in 2009, who had her VMA moment stolen (by Kanye) then regifted (by Beyoncé). And (almost) poor Taylor in 2016, who got called a bitch by that same nasty guy who stole her VMA moment six years prior without her express permission... :P

phoenix98 wrote:It's nuts. Not ONLY do you have to deal with compounded discrimination from people who can't relate to you on any level...but you can't even find solace with people who share aspects of your identity, because they'll still have a problem with ANOTHER aspect of your identity :x Uughhhh. At a time when people REALLY need to be getting along and banding together more than ever, they continue to lash out at others within their own groups and just divide themselves even further. I swear, it feels like being animals in a cage sometimes, where instead of working together to fight our way out, we just turn against each other and tear each other apart...
Yeah, it's totes depressing. :(

phoenix98 wrote: :o Well, that's pretty horrific...

I definitely fumble and struggle over if/when to forgive, though. Certain actions are truly irredeemable, but I also don't want to be too quick to completely dismiss people (partially because there's even less incentive from them to motivate or change if it's always a one-strike-and-you're-out system.) Sometimes it feels like I'm just making excuses ("They were so young, they were going through rough time, etc."), but I also want to be able to view actions (even rather awful ones) in context and not jump at the chance to crucify everybody and anybody. Idk...
Yeah, I definitely understand you. I remember making a homophobic remark around 10th grade that I still regret to this day. Now if I had posted that on Twitter back then, I can only imagine people calling me a self-hating POS/traitor/whatever, but I think the thing with celebrities is that we devote resources (time, money, etc.) to these people's products (movies, TV shows, music, tours, etc.) so it's disconcerting to know that someone you support may be undermining you behind closed doors.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:25 pm

JSparksFan wrote:I'm listening to "Backseat" now, and I'm tempted to not finish it. On the bright side, I remember seeing "As If It's Your Last" in my Spotify library the other day and wondering where it came from - it came from you! :lol: I still like that one. :wink:
Ouch :cry: Poor Charli Rae. Admittedly, some of the tracks on Pop 2 can get a little repetitive/drag on somewhat, but I've generally enjoyed getting lost/immersed in them. The heavily digitized/futuristic/"over-produced" sound of much of the mixtape definitely caught me off-guard at first, but I've kept coming back more than I would've expected after my first listen through it all.

That aside - I'm deeply, genuinely honored to be have played a role in your embracement of that K-Pop bop. <3

JSparksFan wrote:Likewise, your championing of "Delicate" got me to play it to the point that I considered it worthy to add to my Spotify library.
:cry: :cry: :cry:

JSparksFan wrote:I definitely need to revisit "End Game". I just hope "Getaway Car" gets released as a single at some point.
Well, if the EG video isn't TOO far off, that'll be a worthwhile reason to give it at least one more listen. :lol:

"Getaway Car" certainly has hit potential...but I've gotta root/keep my fingers crossed for "Delicate" first ;) Aside from simply being each of our personal favorites, I actually think that wouldn't be a bad fourth-and-fifth-single progression (in either order.)

JSparksFan wrote:Also as someone who has marketed herself as America's sweetheart. Poor Taylor in 2008, who had her heart broken via phone call by that awful Joe Jonas. Poor Taylor in 2009, who had her VMA moment stolen (by Kanye) then regifted (by Beyoncé). And (almost) poor Taylor in 2016, who got called a bitch by that same nasty guy who stole her VMA moment six years prior without her express permission... :P
Yeah :-? After asking a friend why she found Tay so distasteful, she pointed out how the narrative that Tay constructed (particularly around Kanye) also capitalized quite a bit on racial bias/stereotypes (with the "sweet, gentle" white girl being harassed/victimized by the "big, scary" black man) - and at a time when racial tension in America is especially high. :x

JSparksFan wrote:Yeah, I definitely understand you. I remember making a homophobic remark around 10th grade that I still regret to this day. Now if I had posted that on Twitter back then, I can only imagine people calling me a self-hating POS/traitor/whatever, but I think the thing with celebrities is that we devote resources (time, money, etc.) to these people's products (movies, TV shows, music, tours, etc.) so it's disconcerting to know that someone you support may be undermining you behind closed doors.
For sure - with celebrities, they are their brand, and since we've spent our money on those brands, we'd like to think that money isn't then going toward the campaigns of homophobic politicians or whatnot (or that the celebrities themselves aren't using that funding to create an even bigger platform to promote their own hateful nonsense.) In a way, it's like choosing not to spend our money at businesses such as Chick-fil-A, but with celebrities there's also that greater sense of personal connection to these individuals (we thought we "knew" them/trusted them), so it can be even more disheartening when they reveal themselves to be in opposition to our well-being (as opposed to a random CEO we'd never heard of before revealing himself to be a homophobic prick...)

phoenix98
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:30 pm

Paulboard Top 30
Chart Date: 12/29/17

• Amidst holiday hype and year-end reminiscing, Charli XCX manages to snag back-to-back No. 1's, as "Unlock It" unseats her own "Backseat." Thanks again for all the support throughout 2017, and best wishes to everybody for 2018! :D

01 (08) 02 | "Unlock It" - Charli XCX ft. Kim Petras & Jay Park | 1 (1)
02 (RE) 03 | "Whole Heart" - Rachel Platten | 2 (1) | [G]
03 (01) 02 | "Backseat" - Charli XCX ft. Carly Rae Jepsen | 1 (1) | [G]
04 (RE) 09 | "What Lovers Do" - Maroon 5 ft. SZA | 1 (1) | [2xP]
05 (03) 02 | "Out Of My Head" - Charli XCX ft. Tove Lo & ALMA | 3
06 (02) 03 | "Heart Shaker" - TWICE | 2 (1) | [G]
07 (17) 07 | "Gorgeous" - Taylor Swift | 4 | [G]
08 (12) 05 | "Paris In The Rain" - Lauv | 1 (1) | [G]
09 (RE) 08 | "Hymn" - Kesha | 5 | [G]
10 (NE) 01 | "Merry & Happy" - TWICE | 10
11 (14) 04 | "Hotter Than Hell" - Dua Lipa | 1 (1) | [G]
12 (13) 10 | "As If It's Your Last" - BLACKPINK | 1 (1) | [P]
13 (RE) 06 | "Talking To Myself" - Terror Jr | 2 (1) | [G]
14 (RE) 12 | "Look What You Made Me Do" - Taylor Swift | 1 (1) | [2xP]
15 (RE) 06 | "Guilty" - Paloma Faith | 1 (1) | [G]
16 (11) 06 | "Easy Love" - Lauv | 11 | [G]
17 (RE) 06 | "You Are" - GOT7 | 1 (1) | [P]
18 (RE) 03 | "Collide" - Rachel Platten | 2 (1)
19 (RE) 06 | "Silence" - Marshmello ft. Khalid | 2 (1) | [G]
20 (16) 07 | "Delicate" - Taylor Swift | 1 (1) | [P]
21 (04) 02 | "Track 10" - Charli XCX | 4
22 (RE) 04 | "Wolves" - Selena Gomez ft. Marshmello | 13
23 (RE) 05 | "Meant To Be" - Bebe Rexha ft. Florida Georgia Line | 3 | [G]
24 (RE) 08 | "Beautiful Trauma" - P!nk | 1 (1) | [P]
25 (25) 12 | "New Rules" - Dua Lipa | 1 (1) | [P]
26 (RE) 06 | "IDK + IDC" - Terror Jr | 2 (1) | [P]
27 (RE) 20 | "Heartbreaks" - Terror Jr | 1 (3) | [3xP]
28 (RE) 06 | "Appreciation" - Terror Jr | 3 | [G]
29 (RE) 06 | "Death Wish" - Terror Jr | 2 (1) | [P]
30 (RE) 14 | "Do Or Die" - Terror Jr | 1 (1) | [P]

[GOLD] = 25+ total plays
[PLAT] = 50+ total plays
phoenix98
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:00 pm

Paulboard Top 30
Chart Date: 01/05/18

• Charli XCX ushers in 2018 by hanging tight at No. 1 with "Unlock It", while P!nk paints much of the chart with entries from her seventh LP.

01 (01) 03 | "Unlock It" - Charli XCX ft. Kim Petras & Jay Park | 1 (2) | [G]
02 (NE) 01 | "I Am Here" - P!nk | 2 (1)
03 (NE) 01 | "Better Life" - P!nk | 3
04 (11) 05 | "Hotter Than Hell" - Dua Lipa | 1 (1) | [G]
05 (05) 03 | "Out Of My Head" - Charli XCX ft. Tove Lo & ALMA | 3 | [G]
06 (03) 03 | "Backseat" - Charli XCX ft. Carly Rae Jepsen | 1 (1) | [G]
07 (24) 09 | "Beautiful Trauma" - P!nk | 1 (1) | [P]
08 (06) 04 | "Heart Shaker" - TWICE | 2 (1) | [G]
09 (NE) 01 | "Wild Hearts Can't Be Broken" - P!nk | 9
10 (NE) 01 | "Where We Go" - P!nk | 10
11 (NE) 01 | "Barbies" - P!nk | 11
12 (NE) 01 | "But We Lost It" - P!nk | 12
13 (13) 07 | "Talking To Myself" - Terror Jr | 2 (1) | [G]
14 (RE) 10 | "Good Girl" - Alexis Jordan | 2 (1) | [P]
15 (02) 04 | "Whole Heart" - Rachel Platten | 2 (1) | [G]
16 (07) 08 | "Gorgeous" - Taylor Swift | 4 | [G]
17 (NE) 01 | "Never Be The Same" - Camila Cabello | 17
18 (NE) 01 | "For Now" - P!nk | 18
19 (RE) 06 | "What About Us" - P!nk | 4 | [G]
20 (RE) 02 | "Femmebot" - Charli XCX ft. Dorian Electra & Mykki Blanco | 5
21 (21) 03 | "Track 10" - Charli XCX | 4
22 (RE) 06 | "...Ready For It?" - Taylor Swift | 5 | [G]
23 (RE) 04 | "IDGAF" - Dua Lipa | 11 | [G]
24 (NE) 01 | "Strangers" - Sigrid | 24
25 (NE) 01 | "You Get My Love" - P!nk | 25
26 (NE) 01 | "Secrets" - P!nk | 26
27 (NE) 01 | "Whatever You Want" - P!nk | 27
28 (20) 08 | "Delicate" - Taylor Swift | 1 (2) | [P]
29 (27) 21 | "Heartbreaks" - Terror Jr | 1 (3) | [3xP]
30 (RE) 02 | "Tears" - Charli XCX ft. Caroline Polachek | 7

[GOLD] = 25+ total plays
[PLAT] = 50+ total plays
phoenix98
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:25 pm

Catchy #1! You seem intent on making me listen to that Charli XCX mixtape, though, with one chart-topper at a time.

It's a lean list of highlights this week. Beautiful Trauma was diluted P!nk, but some tracks were solid. I think I've completely come around to "Delicate" at this point, though "Gorgeous" can empty itself out with the rest of the trash.

01 (01) 03 | "Unlock It" - Charli XCX ft. Kim Petras & Jay Park | 1 (2) | [G]
02 (NE) 01 | "I Am Here" - P!nk | 2 (1)
04 (11) 05 | "Hotter Than Hell" - Dua Lipa | 1 (1) | [G]
07 (24) 09 | "Beautiful Trauma" - P!nk | 1 (1) | [P]
10 (NE) 01 | "Where We Go" - P!nk | 10
12 (NE) 01 | "But We Lost It" - P!nk | 12
16 (07) 08 | "Gorgeous" - Taylor Swift | 4 | [G]
17 (NE) 01 | "Never Be The Same" - Camila Cabello | 17
19 (RE) 06 | "What About Us" - P!nk | 4 | [G]
22 (RE) 06 | "...Ready For It?" - Taylor Swift | 5 | [G]
27 (NE) 01 | "Whatever You Want" - P!nk | 27
28 (20) 08 | "Delicate" - Taylor Swift | 1 (2) | [P]
29 (27) 21 | "Heartbreaks" - Terror Jr | 1 (3) | [3xP]

phoenix98 wrote:Ouch :cry: Poor Charli Rae. Admittedly, some of the tracks on Pop 2 can get a little repetitive/drag on somewhat, but I've generally enjoyed getting lost/immersed in them. The heavily digitized/futuristic/"over-produced" sound of much of the mixtape definitely caught me off-guard at first, but I've kept coming back more than I would've expected after my first listen through it all.

That aside - I'm deeply, genuinely honored to be have played a role in your embracement of that K-Pop bop. <3
Charli tweeted that she's underrated, and considering that your chart is the only one where I'm seeing her mixtape songs, she may be right.

phoenix98 wrote: :cry: :cry: :cry:
I'm listening to "Delicate" now, and really enjoying the 'cold' spoken delivery of the verses, juxtaposed with the glossier chorus. It looks set to win the Reputation album survivor, so it looks like you're in the majority with UKMixers on that one.

phoenix98 wrote:Well, if the EG video isn't TOO far off, that'll be a worthwhile reason to give it at least one more listen. :lol:

"Getaway Car" certainly has hit potential...but I've gotta root/keep my fingers crossed for "Delicate" first ;) Aside from simply being each of our personal favorites, I actually think that wouldn't be a bad fourth-and-fifth-single progression (in either order.)
Is it just me or is "Delicate" reminiscent of "Style"?

JSparksFan wrote:Yeah :-? After asking a friend why she found Tay so distasteful, she pointed out how the narrative that Tay constructed (particularly around Kanye) also capitalized quite a bit on racial bias/stereotypes (with the "sweet, gentle" white girl being harassed/victimized by the "big, scary" black man) - and at a time when racial tension in America is especially high. :x
*Sigh* And the unfortunate thing about Taylor is that I've invested so much in her already that she's already become one of my all-time favourite singers, so I can't even boycott her because the seed was planted some ten-plus years ago, and it's a damn full-blown tree at this point. As someone on Twitter suggested, maybe Taylor needs to befriend Emma Watson so Emma can teach her a thing or two about the danger of 'white feminism'.

JSparksFan wrote:For sure - with celebrities, they are their brand, and since we've spent our money on those brands, we'd like to think that money isn't then going toward the campaigns of homophobic politicians or whatnot (or that the celebrities themselves aren't using that funding to create an even bigger platform to promote their own hateful nonsense.) In a way, it's like choosing not to spend our money at businesses such as Chick-fil-A, but with celebrities there's also that greater sense of personal connection to these individuals (we thought we "knew" them/trusted them), so it can be even more disheartening when they reveal themselves to be in opposition to our well-being (as opposed to a random CEO we'd never heard of before revealing himself to be a homophobic prick...)
Yep! With singers, they've soundtracked momentous occasions in our lives (graduations, first dates/kisses/loves, exam passes, fun nights out with friends, vacation trips), we've attended their concerts, bought their CDs and streamed their singles, requested local radio stations to play their songs, introduced them to our friends and family, rooted for their albums and singles to achieve chart success and critical acclaim, voted for their videos on video countdowns, voted for the acts themselves on reality TV shows like American Idol, watched their pathetic forays into acting because we love them so much, defended them against detractors who unfairly criticise their work without having given it a fair chance/listen, composed daily charts for eight-plus years where they feature regularly...
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:30 pm

JSparksFan wrote:Catchy #1! You seem intent on making me listen to that Charli XCX mixtape, though, with one chart-topper at a time.
I'm TRULY relieved to hear that "Unlock It" made a more favorable first impression than "Backseat" :D You saw through me like I'm bathin' in Windex, though... ;)

JSparksFan wrote:It's a lean list of highlights this week. Beautiful Trauma was diluted P!nk, but some tracks were solid. I think I've completely come around to "Delicate" at this point, though "Gorgeous" can empty itself out with the rest of the trash.
Ha, I'll gladly take 13/30!

"Diluted" is an interesting (and pretty legitimate) assessment of Beautiful Trauma. It struck me more as an attempt at a more "mature" style/sound, somewhat echoing the recent transitions made by Gaga & Kesha & such...but whatever brought about this shift, I definitely miss the juvenile, upbeat, dancier fun of material like "U + Ur Hand", "So What", "Raise Your Glass", etc. She also references death and the afterlife uhLOT throughout the whole album, which makes me wonder if she (or a loved one) received a diagnosis that she hasn't shared with the public yet...? Not that you have to receive a terminal diagnosis in order to ponder what lies beyond, but the topic does pop up a surprising amount (further sucking out the sense of feisty fun that I'd formerly associated with P!nk.) BT still has its charms, but it probably wasn't the best pick for my first-ever exploration of a full P!nk LP.

I'm so thrilled by that news about "Delicate" that I'll just stop reading that sentence right there...

JSparksFan wrote:Charli tweeted that she's underrated, and considering that your chart is the only one where I'm seeing her mixtape songs, she may be right.
Aw, I'm sad to hear she isn't making bigger waves around UKMIX, since there seemed to be a decent amount of positive buzz in the mixtape's pop section thread. "Out Of My Head" made appearances on both Tansike's and Jake's charts...but didn't last terribly long on either, so they'd have been easy to miss. Pitchfork approved, at least. I wouldn't call Pop 2 flawless...but when it's good, it's pretty damn fabulous. <3

JSparksFan wrote:Is it just me or is "Delicate" reminiscent of "Style"?
Totally not just you! I think it was Tansike who first brought that comparison to my attention, and I felt pretty ridiculous for never having noticed it before. It also helps to explain why "Delicate" struck me so strongly...

JSparksFan wrote:*Sigh* And the unfortunate thing about Taylor is that I've invested so much in her already that she's already become one of my all-time favourite singers, so I can't even boycott her because the seed was planted some ten-plus years ago, and it's a damn full-blown tree at this point. As someone on Twitter suggested, maybe Taylor needs to befriend Emma Watson so Emma can teach her a thing or two about the danger of 'white feminism'.
That "someone" being you? ;)

Kidding aside, I definitely don't blame you for not launching a full-on Taycott, since I'm clearly not either. She has her blind spots, and has a pretty ruthless self-serving side, but I don't think she's completely crossed the line of irredeemability either. She's far from our greatest ally, but I don't think she's a true enemy either - she could just benefit a little more introspection and enlightenment (as your Tweet suggested), which holds true for all of us. I want to be able to recognize and understand what's problematic about her behavior and statements (partially to avoid repeating them myself), but I also don't want to get too swept up in a backlash that's (at least partially) fueled by trolls who'd leap at any opportunity to chastise her (or any celebrity, for that matter.)

JSparksFan wrote:Yep! With singers, they've soundtracked momentous occasions in our lives (graduations, first dates/kisses/loves, exam passes, fun nights out with friends, vacation trips), we've attended their concerts, bought their CDs and streamed their singles, requested local radio stations to play their songs, introduced them to our friends and family, rooted for their albums and singles to achieve chart success and critical acclaim, voted for their videos on video countdowns, voted for the acts themselves on reality TV shows like American Idol, watched their pathetic forays into acting because we love them so much, defended them against detractors who unfairly criticise their work without having given it a fair chance/listen, composed daily charts for eight-plus years where they feature regularly...
So...slightly more of an emotional investment than where we pick up fast-food chicken or crafting supplies. :lol:

phoenix98
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:00 pm

Paulboard Top 30
Chart Date: 01/12/18

• Bruno teams up with red-hot Cardi B to collect the first new No. 1 of 2018 (and his third overall) with "Finesse (Remix.)"

01 (NE) 01 | "Finesse (Remix)" - Bruno Mars ft. Cardi B | 1 (1)
02 (06) 04 | "Backseat" - Charli XCX ft. Carly Rae Jepsen | 1 (1) | [G]
03 (01) 04 | "Unlock It" - Charli XCX ft. Kim Petras & Jay Park | 1 (2) | [G]
04 (21) 04 | "Track 10" - Charli XCX | 4 | [G]
05 (05) 04 | "Out Of My Head" - Charli XCX ft. Tove Lo & ALMA | 3 | [G]
06 (NE) 01 | "Surrender" - Paloma Faith | 6
07 (17) 02 | "Never Be The Same" - Camila Cabello | 7
08 (NE) 01 | "My Body" - Paloma Faith | 8
09 (NE) 01 | "Tonight's Not The Only Night" - Paloma Faith | 9
10 (24) 02 | "Strangers" - Sigrid | 10
11 (30) 03 | "Tears" - Charli XCX ft. Caroline Polachek | 7
12 (NE) 01 | "Lost And Lonely" - Paloma Faith | 12
13 (NE) 01 | "Til I'm Done" - Paloma Faith | 13
14 (02) 02 | "I Am Here" - P!nk | 2 (1)
15 (NE) 01 | "Kings And Queens" - Paloma Faith | 15
16 (NE) 01 | "WW3" - Paloma Faith | 16
17 (NE) 01 | "For You" - Liam Payne & Rita Ora | 17
18 (22) 07 | "...Ready For It?" - Taylor Swift | 5 | [G]
19 (NE) 01 | "Still Around" - Paloma Faith | 19
20 (RE) 06 | "24K Magic" - Bruno Mars | 2 (1) | [G]
21 (NE) 01 | "Power To The Peaceful" - Paloma Faith | 21
22 (03) 02 | "Better Life" - P!nk | 3
23 (NE) 01 | "Love Me As I Am" - Paloma Faith | 23
24 (20) 03 | "Femmebot" - Charli XCX ft. Dorian Electra & Mykki Blanco | 5
25 (07) 10 | "Beautiful Trauma" - P!nk | 1 (1) | [P]
26 (NE) 01 | "I'll Be Gentle" - Paloma Faith ft. John Legend | 26
27 (RE) 10 | "Versace On The Floor" - Bruno Mars | 1 (1) | [P]
28 (RE) 12 | "That's What I Like" - Bruno Mars | 8 | [P]
29 (NE) 01 | "Warrior" - Paloma Faith | 29
30 (NE) 01 | "This Is Me" - Kesha | 30

[GOLD] = 25+ total plays
[PLAT] = 50+ total plays
phoenix98
Legend

Postby JakeP » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:11 am

Good morning Paul :D

Let's see what the board has to offer this week. :wink:

As i don't live in America, the whole In living colour influence went right over my head. I've only really researched more about the show since watching the Finesse music video. I was quite surprised to discover that Jim Carrey was on the show. I also believe this was Jennifer Lopez's big break into the world of showbiz. So in retrospect this show did an amazing job in launching a number of now established stars from music and film. :D

As for the song, it has grown on me a lot over this last week and jumps 17-08 in my latest chart, and i reckon it'll continue climbing.

10 (24) 02 | "Strangers" - Sigrid | 10

Sigrid won the BBC sound of 2018 poll. :o :o :D :D :P :P I was at work when i read this on the BBC news website on Friday and my eyes lit up. My colleague who was sat at the desk next to me, noticed how i reacted and then i realised he was looking right at me. I didn't say anything though, he probably would've just laughed at me. :oops: :lol:

Nice entry for Liam & Rita. I know you said you weren't quite sold on the song when you first listened to For you. For me, this is Liam's best song yet although its Rita who sells the song for me. I just think its kinda shallow that Liam's name is credited first so it appears like he's the main artist when really it's Rita who sings the majority of the song. Another case of Louis & Bebe. :lol:

Aww, great to see Kesha just sneaking in at #30. Have you seen The greatest showman yet? Having heard both versions of This is me, i prefer the tone of Kesha's vocals on the song moreso than Keala's version from the film. I've still not had chance to see the movie yet, so hopefully i'll be able to go in the next couple of weeks.

Best of the rest:

14 (02) 02 | "I Am Here" - P!nk | 2 (1)

I've still not checked out Paloma's album either on iTunes so must get round to that at some point.
JakeP
Manager

Postby Fan » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:50 pm

Paloma take over <3
Kings & Queens and Warrior are my to-go songs from this new record. I do love Surrender a lot as well, so good to see it so high in here.

I haven't heard that new Bruno one, but will check it out at some point. I'm usually just not a big fan of him or his music, he doesn't do it for me. I always adored Locked Out Of Heaven though.

Liam/Rita is a bit disappointing. You know I am not very much on board with Liam in general, haha.
i wanna see you on your knees, wanna see you begging
Fan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:21 pm

Yes, Paul, drip a bit in that finesse! 8-) Very happy that you like the song so much. It's hilarious that the remix has shot to #1 on your chart and not mine, but that's music (and life) sometimes.

I listened to "Surrender". Not bad. I think I want to listen to the album in its entirety because there's this brilliant excerpt from a speech "Politics of Hope" that I adore, and the title track is a big winner in my book.

06 (NE) 01 | "Surrender" - Paloma Faith | 6
07 (17) 02 | "Never Be The Same" - Camila Cabello | 7
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:45 pm

Many thanks and much love for all the comments! :D

JakeP wrote:Good morning Paul :D
Mornin' Jake :D

JakeP wrote:As i don't live in America, the whole In living colour influence went right over my head. I've only really researched more about the show since watching the Finesse music video. I was quite surprised to discover that Jim Carrey was on the show. I also believe this was Jennifer Lopez's big break into the world of showbiz. So in retrospect this show did an amazing job in launching a number of now established stars from music and film. :D

As for the song, it has grown on me a lot over this last week and jumps 17-08 in my latest chart, and i reckon it'll continue climbing.
Ha, no worries - I'm with you there! When I first watched the video, I just figured they were going for a more generic 80's/90's-throwback vibe, and didn't even realize the In Living Color connection until I read about it elsewhere. Granted, we were pretty young when that show was on anyway (and I don't think little kids were the target demographic) :lol: I had no idea it featured that many (future) big names either! :o

I'd LOVE to see "Finesse" keep movin' on up your chart, but I'm glad it's at least secured that Top 10 status now 8-) Speaking of - that means all four main 24K Magic singles have gone Top 10 on your chart now, yeah?

JakeP wrote:Sigrid won the BBC sound of 2018 poll. :o :o :D :D :P :P I was at work when i read this on the BBC news website on Friday and my eyes lit up. My colleague who was sat at the desk next to me, noticed how i reacted and then i realised he was looking right at me. I didn't say anything though, he probably would've just laughed at me. :oops: :lol:
Psh, shame on your co-worker for not understanding the significance of that achievement, then ;) "Strangers" is certainly rocketing up the official UK chart now: from No. 94 ---> No. 26 :o Yet another smash to add to your hit-predicting résumé!

JakeP wrote:Nice entry for Liam & Rita. I know you said you weren't quite sold on the song when you first listened to For you. For me, this is Liam's best song yet although its Rita who sells the song for me. I just think its kinda shallow that Liam's name is credited first so it appears like he's the main artist when really it's Rita who sings the majority of the song. Another case of Louis & Bebe. :lol:
Yeah, "For You" certainly isn't unlistenable, just underwhelming :( I'm thankful that it's helped you warm up to Liam a bit, though! Not sure how he managed to get listed first either. Alphabetical by first name...I guess...? :-?

JakeP wrote:Aww, great to see Kesha just sneaking in at #30. Have you seen The greatest showman yet? Having heard both versions of This is me, i prefer the tone of Kesha's vocals on the song moreso than Keala's version from the film. I've still not had chance to see the movie yet, so hopefully i'll be able to go in the next couple of weeks.
Nah, I don't really know much about the movie at all (aside from the couple of song titles that keep popping up on charts.) I'd love to hear your thoughts if you end up giving it a chance, but unless it really wows you, I'll probably hold off until it's available on Netflix or something.

phoenix98
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:50 pm

Fan wrote:Paloma take over <3 Kings & Queens and Warrior are my to-go songs from this new record. I do love Surrender a lot as well, so good to see it so high in here.
"Kings And Queens" is a solid pick, for sure (definitely among the better half of the album for me too), and I'm really glad "Surrender" gets your stamp of approval! "Warrior", however, has been one of my least favorites/most-skipped tracks thus far :oops: but I promise to revisit it in your honor at least once or twice this coming week!

Fan wrote:I haven't heard that new Bruno one, but will check it out at some point. I'm usually just not a big fan of him or his music, he doesn't do it for me. I always adored Locked Out Of Heaven though.
Ha, well, at least Bruno managed to get it right once for you :lol: If you're almost always underwhelmed by his offerings, I don't expect "Finesse" to be an exception (though I'd love to be wrong!) "Locked" is certainly among my favorites from him, but I'd put "Treasure", "Versace On The Floor", and "Just The Way You Are" up there too. Maybe "Marry You" as well...

Fan wrote:Liam/Rita is a bit disappointing. You know I am not very much on board with Liam in general, haha.
I don't agree about Liam (obv)...but I do agree about "For You" ;) The pre-chorus is pretty promising ("I'm free as a bird..."), but then the actual chorus is pretty underwhelming/half-hearted. That "for yaaa"/"found you" hook just doesn't grab me - so for me, it feels like a step down from both of their previous solo singles. :(

Thanks again, Fan! :D
phoenix98
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:55 pm

JSparksFan wrote:Yes, Paul, drip a bit in that finesse! 8-) Very happy that you like the song so much. It's hilarious that the remix has shot to #1 on your chart and not mine, but that's music (and life) sometimes.
I'm drenched 8-) Yeah, that chart synchronicity would've been sublime, but I totally understand your situation too. There's definitely been times when I've loved a song for many months before a barely-different "remix" drops when it's selected to be a single that not only fails to eclipse the original, but doesn't even necessarily re-invigorate my interest in the original version all that much (The Saturdays's "Higher", all of Katy's add-a-rapper-at-the-last minute remixes other than "E.T.", the later singles off Little Mix's latest album, etc.)

JSparksFan wrote:I listened to "Surrender". Not bad. I think I want to listen to the album in its entirety because there's this brilliant excerpt from a speech "Politics of Hope" that I adore, and the title track is a big winner in my book.
Many thanks for giving "Surrender" a chance! Paloma really nailed the intro/interludes on that album (especially "Politics Of Hope", as you mentioned.) They're all fairly brief (the longest is barely over 1min), but they actually serve a purpose and send a message too (I'm lookin' at you, Janet and JT...)

phoenix98
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:00 pm

Paulboard Top 30
Chart Date: 01/19/18

• Kylie boogies her way straight to No. 1 with long-awaited lead single "Dancing" (her eighth Paulboard chart-topper to date.)

01 (NE) 01 | "Dancing" - Kylie Minogue | 1 (1)
02 (NE) 01 | "Capital Letters" - Hailee Steinfeld ft. BloodPop® | 2 (1)
03 (01) 02 | "Finesse (Remix) - Bruno Mars ft. Cardi B | 1 (1) | [G]
04 (NE) 01 | "My My My!" - Troye Sivan | 4
05 (RE) 09 | "Let Me Go" - Hailee Steinfeld ft. Alesso, Florida Georgia Line, & watt | 1 (2) | [P]
06 (27) 11 | "Versace On The Floor" - Bruno Mars | 1 (1) | [P]
07 (07) 03 | "Never Be The Same" - Camila Cabello | 7
08 (03) 05 | "Unlock It" - Charli XCX ft. Kim Petras & Jay Park | 1 (2) | [G]
09 (NE) 01 | "Straight Up & Down" - Bruno Mars | 9
10 (NE) 01 | "Chunky" - Bruno Mars | 10
11 (06) 02 | "Surrender" - Paloma Faith | 6
12 (17) 02 | "For You" - Liam Payne & Rita Ora | 17
13 (RE) 19 | "Into The Blue" - Kylie Minogue | 1 (3) | [3xP]
14 (13) 02 | "Til I'm Done" - Paloma Faith | 13
15 (NE) 01 | "Perm" - Bruno Mars | 15
16 (23) 02 | "Love Me As I Am" - Paloma Faith | 16
17 (20) 07 | "24K Magic" - Bruno Mars | 2 (1) | [G]
18 (RE) 24 | "Starving" - Hailee Steinfeld ft. Grey & Zedd | 1 (2) | [3xP]
19 (02) 05 | "Backseat" - Charli XCX ft. Carly Rae Jepsen | 1 (1) | [P]
20 (10) 03 | "Strangers" - Sigrid | 10
21 (05) 05 | "Out Of My Head" - Charli XCX ft. Tove Lo & ALMA | 3 | [G]
22 (15) 02 | "Kings And Queens" - Paloma Faith | 15
23 (RE) 06 | "Call It What You Want" - Taylor Swift | 9 | [G]
24 (21) 02 | "Power To The Peaceful" - Paloma Faith | 21
25 (NE) 01 | "Too Good To Say Goodbye" - Bruno Mars | 25
26 (12) 02 | "Lost And Lonely" - Paloma Faith | 12
27 (RE) 07 | "Green Light" - Lorde | 5 | [G]
28 (NE) 01 | "Sober" - Lorde | 28
29 (28) 13 | "That's What I Like" - Bruno Mars | 8 | [P]
30 (09) 02 | "Tonight's Not The Only Night" - Paloma Faith | 9

[GOLD] = 25+ total plays
[PLAT] = 50+ total plays
phoenix98
Legend

Postby JakeP » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:40 pm

phoenix98 wrote:Ha, no worries - I'm with you there! When I first watched the video, I just figured they were going for a more generic 80's/90's-throwback vibe, and didn't even realize the In Living Color connection until I read about it elsewhere. Granted, we were pretty young when that show was on anyway (and I don't think little kids were the target demographic) :lol: I had no idea it featured that many (future) big names either! :o

I'd LOVE to see "Finesse" keep movin' on up your chart, but I'm glad it's at least secured that Top 10 status now 8-) Speaking of - that means all four main 24K Magic singles have gone Top 10 on your chart now, yeah?
LOL judging from a clip i saw featuring Jim Carrey and other actors playing gay army cadets, i'd be gobsmacked if this was aimed at children. :lol:

Actually no, That's what i like peaked at #12 although it had a much stronger chart run compared to 24k magic despite the latter having a higher chart peak. Both balance each other out whilst Versace on the floor has quite comfortably been Bruno's biggest track off the album.

phoenix98 wrote:Psh, shame on your co-worker for not understanding the significance of that achievement, then ;) "Strangers" is certainly rocketing up the official UK chart now: from No. 94 ---> No. 26 :o Yet another smash to add to your hit-predicting résumé!
Isn't it just? :lol: But at the start of the week Strangers was #8 in the midweeks but this was because Spotify data was missing. Still, it's an amazing achievement to have Sigrid even getting as high as #26. LOL Jake#Psychic :lol:

phoenix98 wrote:Yeah, "For You" certainly isn't unlistenable, just underwhelming :( I'm thankful that it's helped you warm up to Liam a bit, though! Not sure how he managed to get listed first either. Alphabetical by first name...I guess...? :-?
I'd warm even more up to Liam if he stopped trying to be a wannabe american and actually released a genuinely good song. I still regard For you as a Rita Ora song. :P Hmm i suspect Liam was credited first purely for chart purposes, so his record label can say he got two UK top 10 singles - although so far its peaked at #11. I'm sure it'll repeak when the music video is released.

phoenix98 wrote:Nah, I don't really know much about the movie at all (aside from the couple of song titles that keep popping up on charts.) I'd love to hear your thoughts if you end up giving it a chance, but unless it really wows you, I'll probably hold off until it's available on Netflix or something.
The way its going i'm never gonna see The greatest showman. Aah so you're a Netflix and chill kinda guy, eh? :wink:

Now let's check out the latest chart happenings. :D

01 (NE) 01 | "Dancing" - Kylie Minogue | 1 (1)

Gosh :o :D :cry: This is incredible to see. I didn't expect to see Kylie gatecrashing into your chart with that 24 hour impact. That does mean its another amazing shared #1 as i've listened to Dancing more times in the last 24 hours than most other songs have been played all week. Considering the number of Kylie songs that have made my chart over the last few years, she was overdue a #1 in my chart. <3

02 (NE) 01 | "Capital Letters" - Hailee Steinfeld ft. BloodPop® | 2 (1)

Aww, poor Hailee. :( So am i right in guessing this was heading for #1 until Kylie overtook all the competition in the final hours of the tracking week. This also enters my chart but not quite as high as this. :P

04 (NE) 01 | "My My My!" - Troye Sivan | 4

2018 has got off to an amazing start as far as unashamed pop music is concerned. I don't care about the lack of success in official charts. A #1 in my chart means more to me than seeing some hideous rapper ending up at #1 in the UK for three months. Troye is so owning it in the video, and i'm loving the fact he's kinda camping it up a bit. <3

Best of the rest:

03 (01) 02 | "Finesse (Remix) - Bruno Mars ft. Cardi B | 1 (1) | [G]
05 (RE) 09 | "Let Me Go" - Hailee Steinfeld ft. Alesso, Florida Georgia Line, & watt | 1 (2) | [P]
06 (27) 11 | "Versace On The Floor" - Bruno Mars | 1 (1) | [P]
12 (17) 02 | "For You" - Liam Payne & Rita Ora | 17
13 (RE) 19 | "Into The Blue" - Kylie Minogue | 1 (3) | [3xP]
17 (20) 07 | "24K Magic" - Bruno Mars | 2 (1) | [G]
18 (RE) 24 | "Starving" - Hailee Steinfeld ft. Grey & Zedd | 1 (2) | [3xP]
20 (10) 03 | "Strangers" - Sigrid | 10
23 (RE) 06 | "Call It What You Want" - Taylor Swift | 9 | [G]
27 (RE) 07 | "Green Light" - Lorde | 5 | [G]
28 (NE) 01 | "Sober" - Lorde | 28
29 (28) 13 | "That's What I Like" - Bruno Mars | 8 | [P]
JakeP
Manager