Paulboard Top 30 | 07.13.18 | we feel it in our bones...

Moderators: JSparksFan, tdc2000, FreakyFlyBry

Postby phoenix98 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:00 pm

Paulboard Top 30
Chart Date: 07/06/18

• Years & Years enjoy their first No. 1 that lasts for weeks & weeks, as "All For You" hangs tight on top just as its parent album finally drops.

TW | LW | WKS ON | TITLE | ARTIST | PEAK | CERT

01 (01) 02 | "All For You" - Years & Years | 1 (2) | [G]
02 (03) 02 | "All The Ways" - Meghan Trainor | 2 (1)
03 (NE) 01 | "No Angel" - Charli XCX | 3
04 (04) 06 | "If You're Over Me" - Years & Years | 1 (1) | [P]
05 (29) 02 | "Palo Santo" - Years & Years | 5
06 (13) 03 | "Body" - Loud Luxury ft. brando| 4
07 (30) 12 | "Stop Me From Falling" - Kylie Minogue | 1 (3) | [2xP]
08 (NE) 01 | "Focus" - Charli XCX | 8
09 (02) 06 | "Graves" - CHVRCHES | 1 (3) | [P]
10 (24) 07 | "Back To You" - Selena Gomez | 7 | [G]
11 (11) 02 | "Only You" - Cheat Codes ft. Little Mix | 11
12 (RE) 06 | "ILY2" - Charli XCX | 4 | [G]
13 (RE) 12 | "3AM (Pull Up)" - Charli XCX ft. MØ| 1 (2) | [P]
14 (NE) 01 | "N'oublie Pas" - Mylène Farmer ft. LP | 14
15 (05) 07 | "Bloom" - Troye Sivan | 1 (1) | [P]
16 (17) 04 | "Youngblood" - 5 Seconds Of Summer | 4
17 (12) 03 | "Ocean" - Martin Garrix ft. Khalid | 2 (1)
18 (06) 07 | "No Tears Left To Cry" - Ariana Grande | 1 (1) | [P]
19 (NE) 01 | "Forever Young" - BLACKPINK | 19
20 (10) 16 | "Delicate" - Taylor Swift | 1 (2) | [2xP]
21 (09) 07 | "My My My!" - Troye Sivan | 4 | [G]
22 (07) 08 | "Anywhere" - Rita Ora | 1 (1) | [P]
23 (RE) 03 | "Colour" - MNEK ft. Hailee Steinfeld | 3
24 (23) 03 | "Remind Me To Forget" - Kygo ft. Miguel | 18
25 (RE) 07 | "Beautiful Scars" - Madonna | 5 | [G]
26 (RE) 06 | "Joan Of Arc" - Madonna | 2 (2) | [P]
27 (RE) 07 | "Body Shop" - Madonna | 6 | [G]
28 (18) 03 | "Let You Be Right" - Meghan Trainor | 18
29 (22) 03 | "Why" - Shawn Mendes | 7
30 (RE) 02 | "Fallin' All In You" - Shawn Mendes | 11

[GOLD] = 25+ total plays
[PLAT] = 50+ total plays
phoenix98
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:41 pm

Great to see Years & Years at #1 even if it's with one of the less stunning songs on the LP. "Palo Santo" is my second favourite on the record, after "Sanctify", so great that it's soared to your Top 5 this week. "If You're Over Me" has grown on me, so nice to see that one high up as well.

I checked out "All the Ways" and "No Angel". Both are good. I'm guessing the "N'oublie Pas" debut is thanks to JakeP. I discovered it via RayRay's chart, and it definitely made an immediate impression on me.

01 (01) 02 | "All For You" - Years & Years | 1 (2) | [G]
02 (03) 02 | "All The Ways" - Meghan Trainor | 2 (1)
11 (11) 02 | "Only You" - Cheat Codes ft. Little Mix | 11

phoenix98 wrote: :o "Chasing Fire" gets a "Wow" AND certified "bop" status? Now I'm wishing I'd pushed it on you sooner! Really, truly pleased to hear that it made such a strong first impression <3 It's definitely one of his catchiest offerings yet (though the beat in "Easy Love" is mighty addictive too).
I love the bit around 2:35 when the beat takes centre stage! Thanks for the recommendation!

phoenix98 wrote:Regarding "Graves," I mean...it doesn't contain the recipe for global harmony or anything, but it's definitely saying more than the usual "tee hee, I'm in love"/"boo hoo, I'm heartbroken" pop offering. When we choose to look away/turn a blind eye to these troubling times, we're only making it worse for ourselves (and others). There's some clever metaphors sprinkled in there too, and when you combine all that with such a SUPER-catchy chorus, you've got me hooked. <3
I think you know this by now, but I'm totally sold on "Graves" now!

phoenix98 wrote:"Delicate" has been kinda-sorta taking off in the US lately (mostly thanks to some slightly-supicious rebounds at radio), so watching it rise to new Hot 100 peaks each week has put it back on my mind, and prompted me to revisit reputation in general. "Dress" in particular is a shining moment that I hadn't played in far too long. Same goes for "Call It What You Want," which I remember you appreciating before I saw the light.
Yeah, "Call It What You Want" is one of the best offerings from 'chill Taylor'.

phoenix98 wrote:Speaking of me not properly appreciating certain songs, "Cry" is still a far cry from my Carly Rae faves, but it gets a LOT of love from fans that I fail to fully feel. Some of Charli XCX's Pop 2 actually really delivers on what you're describing (feel-inducing electro-pop) for me, but I remember you being less-than-impressed with some of the tracks I was charting when that mixtape dropped (epecially "Backseat") :lol: NoOoO rush/pressure, but "Track 10" REALLY encapsulates that kind of experience for me.
"Track 10" isn't bad, but there's so much distorted background melody that it does sound noisy.
And the category is: LIVE. WORK. POSE!
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby cheapthrills » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:18 pm

Three Y&Y songs in the top 5 <3

Is that common for your chart?
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby phoenix98 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:50 pm

JSparksFan wrote:Great to see Years & Years at #1 even if it's with one of the less stunning songs on the LP. "Palo Santo" is my second favourite on the record, after "Sanctify", so great that it's soared to your Top 5 this week. "If You're Over Me" has grown on me, so nice to see that one high up as well.
Yeah, from what I've gathered, "All For You" isn't what most people want from Y&Y, but it truly shakes my pop-loving soul (especially the bridge/middle 8: "no blood, no love, been doing it all for youUuUu...") <3 I appreciate your restraint in opting for "less stunning" over "this pedestrian, pop-by-numbers mess is completely beneath them and an unsightly blemish not only on Palo Santo, but their entire catalog thus far." :lol:

It wasn't until I read some interviews and reviews for the album recently that I finally fully understood the story Olly's telling in "Sanctify" - which is pretty embarrassing, since he's not exactly subtle, but I guess I hadn't been listening very carefully :oops: "you don't have to be straight with me, I see what's underneath your mask..." Unfortunately, it's still somewhat of a "Fall In Line" situation for me, where I love the content of what's being said, but the way those words have been put to music just doesn't quite click with me.

JSparksFan wrote:I checked out "All the Ways" and "No Angel". Both are good. I'm guessing the "N'oublie Pas" debut is thanks to JakeP. I discovered it via RayRay's chart, and it definitely made an immediate impression on me.
You're absolutely right! Sounds like it's already been making its way around UKMIX for a little while now, though! Apparently it debuted at No. 1 in France, but that's not a chart I check often.

JSparksFan wrote:I love the bit around 2:35 when the beat takes centre stage! Thanks for the recommendation!
:o :D I love that Lauv has been redeeming himself/exceeding expectations for you lately! Hopefully at least one of these offerings can become at least a decent-sized hit on some official charts once "I Like Me Better" has finally run its course (or he serves up something new, but equally engaging...)

JSparksFan wrote:I think you know this by now, but I'm totally sold on "Graves" now!
:cry: :cry: :cry: TRULY one of the highlights of my 2018 so far (you warming up to it, I mean...well, and the song itself, of course)!

JSparksFan wrote:Yeah, "Call It What You Want" is one of the best offerings from 'chill Taylor'.
YES! I think "chill Taylor" is one of the strongest sides of/best things to come out of reputation: "Delicate," "Call It What You Want," "Dress" (though that last one might be a little too lustful to call "chill.")

JSparksFan wrote:"Track 10" isn't bad, but there's so much distorted background melody that it does sound noisy.
Ha, "noisy" is pretty fair there. Idk...I get so swept up in the emotions, all that chaos kind of just amplifies those feels/makes them swell even more. I'd be curious to hear her tackle a more stripped-down rendition, though.

Thanks again, Akini! :D
phoenix98
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:55 pm

cheapthrills wrote:Three Y&Y songs in the top 5 <3

It's more likely to happen right after a highly-anticipated album release (CHVRCHES recently occupied four of the Top 5 right after Love Is Dead came out), so it's especially impressive that Y&Y managed that much domination before their full album dropped. Janelle was actually the last act to appear that often inside the Top 5 in a week that wasn't immediately after her album release:

01 (NE) 01 | "Solo" - Clean Bandit ft. Demi Lovato | 1 (1)
02 (04) 05 | "I Like That" - Janelle Monáe | 2 (1) | [G]
03 (01) 02 | "If You're Over Me" - Years & Years | 1 (1)
04 (03) 03 | "Crazy, Classic, Life" - Janelle Monáe | 3 | [G]
05 (05) 04 | "Dirty Computer" - Janelle Monáe ft. Brian Wilson | 5 | [G]

Hope my answer made sense :lol: Thanks for asking, cheapthrills! :D
phoenix98
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:00 pm

Paulboard Top 30
Chart Date: 07/13/18

• Mylène & LP win a tie-breaker with Years & Years, thus denying the latter No. 1 glory on the first chart following their album release.

TW | LW | WKS ON | TITLE | ARTIST | PEAK | CERT

01 (14) 02 | "N'oublie Pas" - Mylène Farmer ft. LP | 1 (1)
02 (01) 03 | "All For You" - Years & Years | 1 (2) | [G]
03 (NE) 01 | "Preacher" - Years & Years | 3
04 (NE) 01 | "Finally Free" - Niall Horan | 4
05 (NE) 01 | "Lucky Escape" - Years & Years | 5
06 (03) 02 | "No Angel" - Charli XCX| 3
07 (NE) 01 | "Hallelujah" - Years & Years | 7
08 (NE) 01 | "Karma" - Years & Years | 8
09 (04) 07 | "If You're Over Me" - Years & Years | 1 (1) | [P]
10 (NE) 01 | "Howl" - Years & Years | 10
11 (02) 03 | "All The Ways" - Meghan Trainor | 2 (1) | [G]
12 (NE) 01 | "Doesn't Matter" - Christine And The Queens | 12
13 (20) 17 | "Delicate" - Taylor Swift | 1 (2) | [2xP]
14 (NE) 01 | "Barcelona" - Max George | 14
15 (NE) 01 | "Shotgun" - George Ezra | 15
16 (RE) 08 | "I Like That" - Janelle Monáe | 2 (1) | [P]
17 (09) 07 | "Graves" - CHVRCHES | 1 (3) | [P]
18 (NE) 01 | "Hypnotised" - Years & Years | 18
19 (10) 08 | "Back To You" - Selena Gomez | 7 | [G]
20 (08) 02 | "Focus" - Charli XCX | 8
21 (RE) 03 | "Paradise" - George Ezra | 2 (1)
22 (NE) 01 | "Up In Flames" - Years & Years | 22
23 (NE) 01 | "Don't Panic" - Years & Years | 23
24 (NE) 01 | "Rendezvous" - Years & Years | 24
25 (05) 03 | "Palo Santo" - Years & Years | 5
26 (RE) 05 | "Heaven/Hell" - CHVRCHES | 4 | [G]
27 (RE) 08 | "Call It What You Want" - Taylor Swift | 6 | [P]
28 (RE) 13 | "Man On The Moon" - Britney Spears | 1 (1) | [2xP]
29 (RE) 03 | "Mood Ring" - Britney Spears | 21
30 (19) 02 | "Forever Young" - BLACKPINK | 19

[GOLD] = 25+ total plays
[PLAT] = 50+ total plays
phoenix98
Legend

Postby SummerPeur » Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:23 am

phoenix98 wrote:Paulboard Top 30

29 (RE) 03 | "Mood Ring" - Britney Spears | 217
Haven't had a chance to view to many personal chart over the past month! But managed to find some time today 8-)

LOVE LOVE LOVE the Years & Years and that they've made a huge impact on your chart!

What such....non clique Britney songs! :o Mood Rig is definitely an...interesting Britney production. Though Man On The Moon is A class!
Yeah, I Bloom
I, Bloom Just For You
I Bloom, Just For Youuuuu
SummerPeur
Superstar

Postby cheapthrills » Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:53 am

phoenix98 wrote:
cheapthrills wrote:Three Y&Y songs in the top 5 <3

It's more likely to happen right after a highly-anticipated album release (CHVRCHES recently occupied four of the Top 5 right after Love Is Dead came out), so it's especially impressive that Y&Y managed that much domination before their full album dropped. Janelle was actually the last act to appear that often inside the Top 5 in a week that wasn't immediately after her album release:

01 (NE) 01 | "Solo" - Clean Bandit ft. Demi Lovato | 1 (1)
02 (04) 05 | "I Like That" - Janelle Monáe | 2 (1) | [G]
03 (01) 02 | "If You're Over Me" - Years & Years | 1 (1)
04 (03) 03 | "Crazy, Classic, Life" - Janelle Monáe | 3 | [G]
05 (05) 04 | "Dirty Computer" - Janelle Monáe ft. Brian Wilson | 5 | [G]

Hope my answer made sense :lol: Thanks for asking, cheapthrills! :D
What an almost perfect top five that was <3
Move Janelle to the top and then it gets a 10 :lol:
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby bm08 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:15 am

I feel like I've been missing out for so long. It was only recently that I discovered Years & Years and "All For You" is a standout track for me.

"Back To You" by Selena Gomez has also been getting a lot of play from me recently.

The two Taylor Swift tracks are great too. I especially like "Call It What You Want".

Over all, love the bottom half of your chart more than the top half. :lol:
bm08
Moderator - Mariah Carey Topic

Postby Tansike » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:57 am

SMH on missing out a charts :roll: One would think I’m used to when you post your updates… time to catch up again now!

phoenix98 wrote:Ah! So what's REALLY been holding back CHVRCHES's Love Is Dead for you is that it can't possibly compare to Queen Kerli's album of the same name? ;) Of course no other album could be worthy of sharing a title with such an iconic release!

I was SUPER late to the CHVRCHES party, and only started checking out their albums after getting hooked on "Get Out" earlier this year. After exploring/discovering all three of them pretty close together, Every Open Eye really does feel like the perfect middle-ground/transiton between their debut and Love Is Dead. It has the catchy choruses/melodies that grab my ear, but isn't quite as...polished, glossy, sterile-sounding as the Greg Kurstin stuff. Maybe Every Open Eye would sound better to you now, compared to the slightly-too-poppy LID?
Interestingly, Kerli’s “Love Is Dead” isn’t even that far off musically compared to CHVRCHES’ music.

What, really? That surprises me, as I thought “Every Open Eye” was a hit for you back when it came out! I’m going on vacation soon and sometimes I have lots of time to check out some music, so I’ll write “Every Open Eye” on my to-do-list. I heard the album once or twice when it was released but I remember absolutely nothing…

phoenix98 wrote:Ha, well, since only half of reputation really appealed to you even at the peak of its hype, I guess it's not too shocking that the album fell off your radar pretty quickly :lol: It was somewhat similar for me too, but more like 1/3 of the album never really clicked with me/I could live without (which is still a pretty big chunk of a 15-track album). :oops:

Ooh...so is Speak Now your Tay fave? While Red leaves you feeling pretty blue? I do love Red, but Fearless has a special place in my heart too. I think it's her best country/pop blend, and it was just such a fun and exciting time to be a fan: watching her score huge crossover hits like "Love Story" and "You Belong With Me" (and even getting her first hits outside the US).
True. Overall the album lacked something and time will tell how I would rank this among her other albums I’m familiar with, but I can see it ending up last to be honest. The highlights are amazing, but their strength is not enough to carry the whole album. I already had a similar experience with Britney’s “Britney Jean” where I LOVED some of the songs (“Til It’s Gone”, “Tik Tik Boom”, “Work Bitch”, “Alien”) and they are all among my all-time-faves of Britney, but the whole album still remains quite weak.

Yes. Well, if I would listen to “Speak Now” these days, I most likely wouldn’t love it as much as I did back in the days, but considering the great memories & stuff (which counts a lot for me too when ranking albums), it’s definitely first, followed by “Fearless”. “Red” somehow never fully clicked with me, even though I remember playing it quite often, but it seemed like the were too many songs which were ‘just solid’; “I Knew You Were Trouble.” was amazing, but it also felt very out of place. Glad to hear your thoughts about “Fearless” <3 I don’t even remember how I discovered her because back when I bought the physical copy of “Fearless”, she was still so unknown over here.

phoenix98 wrote:It's so awesome how music can instantly transport us back to a specific place and time like that. When you mention enjoying the sun on your terrace, I assume you mean (nude) sunbathing...? ;)

Back when Hilary first started releasing music ("Why Not," So Yesterday"), I was actually pretty dismissive of her trying to have a music career, since it just felt like Disney desperately/shamelessly trying to make as much money as possible off her Lizzie McGuire success :lol: Looking back, she kind of set the stage for Miley (and Selena, Demi, etc.) in that sense. I think it was "Come Clean" that started to win me over, cause I ended up picking up Metamorphosis eventually (then all of her studio albums after that as they came out, though they were usually pretty hit-or-miss overall).
True! And these memories often mean so much…
Haha, not fully nude :P

Ah well, I guess there were so many people thinking similar, also when Miley, Selena or Demi tried to make music. So since her discography is still pretty much undiscovered for me, is there something you would recommend apart from the popular singles?

phoenix98 wrote:Yep! Well, partially :lol: A friend of mine from college was visiting and staying with some other friends in the city, so we met up for dinner on Friday night, then went to a (rave-ish) party on Saturday night. I was too wiped on Sunday to check out the parade, though :lol: I've marched in it a couple of times before, and watched it some other years too, so I'd already gotten that full experience in the past.
Ah, sounds nice!

phoenix98 wrote: :oops: :oops: :oops: Well, in terms of his chart history...

"Ocean" = No. 2 peak | 3 weeks total
"Scared To Be Lonely" = No. 3 | 8 wks | [P]
"Animals (Original Mix)" = No. 4 | 5 wks | [G]
"There For You" = No. 4 | 4 wks | [G]
"In The Name Of Love" = No. 24 | 2 wks

...but at least that's better than "So Far Away," which I downloaded, but it never managed to chart. :lol:
Awww :( I think “In The Name Of Love” is really good. But hey, as you say, at least it made an entry :lol:

phoenix98 wrote:Yeah, the fact that I'm used to really loving a lot of stuff from Selena and Ellie might've worked against their Kygo collaborations a bit (since they were especially underwhelming in the context of those two lovely ladies' catalogs).
Now this makes a lot of sense, as I felt the same to be honest. But they still belong to my favorite Kygo songs, simply because I never fully got into his stuff so far. “Remind Me To Forget” comes close now.

phoenix98 wrote:I was seriously surprised to see that we're getting an album from her by the end of August, despite how the singles have been performing :o On one hand, it seems a bit suicidal, since the album's almost certain to bomb...but I think it was you who mentioned somewhere that it's kind of refreshing that an artist isn't releasing single after single after single, waiting to finally score a big hit before dropping an album (even if it takes years). This way, at least fans will get to hear what she's been working on, and she can try to win back the public again with album #4 (or maybe some collaborations...?)
Oh, yeah, that was probably me, or at least I was thinking that as well :lol: I think it doesn’t make sense to wait months and months or even years to finally get a hit and then release an album. Artists should stick to their album campaign and still do their stuff, even if it’s flopping. Of course there’s always a label behind them which basically just wants money, but in the end what money are they getting with only releasing singles after singles and nothing clicks with the public? I’m sure Meghan’s album will bomb – and with bomb I really mean so, because I wouldn’t be surprised if this misses out the Top40 or so on Billboard. But after that she can at least finish this chapter and move on, otherwise something drags on for too long…

phoenix98 wrote:Yeah, I've still got mixed feelings about it myself (don't love it, don't hate it), but it's a shame that it did SO bad on official charts :-? Granted, it sounds like she plans to treat "God Is A Woman" as the official second single anyway...?
Yes, she declared “The Light Is Coming” as a promotional single already before releasing it, but I’m quite sure they still expected a better charts performance. Thank god “God Is A Woman” already came out earlier than expected now and is slaying again <3

phoenix98 wrote:Was it her concert that finally changed your mind about "No Promises," or did something else happen that helped you see it in a new light...? Whatever the reason, I'm definitely glad to hear that it finally sounds better to you now! :lol:
Yep, her concert made me liking “No Promises” much more than back when it came out.

phoenix98 wrote:01 (01) 02 | "All For You" - Years & Years | 1 (2) | [G]
08 (NE) 01 | "Focus" - Charli XCX | 8
10 (24) 07 | "Back To You" - Selena Gomez | 7 | [G]
12 (RE) 06 | "ILY2" - Charli XCX | 4 | [G]
13 (RE) 12 | "3AM (Pull Up)" - Charli XCX ft. MØ| 1 (2) | [P]
23 (RE) 03 | "Colour" - MNEK ft. Hailee Steinfeld | 3
24 (23) 03 | "Remind Me To Forget" - Kygo ft. Miguel | 18
25 (RE) 07 | "Beautiful Scars" - Madonna | 5 | [G]
27 (RE) 07 | "Body Shop" - Madonna | 6 | [G]
28 (18) 03 | "Let You Be Right" - Meghan Trainor | 18
29 (22) 03 | "Why" - Shawn Mendes | 7
30 (RE) 02 | "Fallin' All In You" - Shawn Mendes | 11
Pretty much a perfect Top30 as I like all but four or five songs! :o
“All For You” grew on me since the album came out and I wouldn’t mind it to be an official single at some point, so it’s nice to see that one smashing. However, “Palo Santo” remains my favorite song on their album, so I’m obviously even happier to see that one climbing into your Top5 <3

As we talked over in my topic, I prefer “Focus” to “No Angel” but I’m glad to see both still arriving in your Top10. Charli XCX must have an impressive discography now :o

Fantastic rebound for “Back To You”, also nice to see some Madonna tracks at the bottom of your charts.

phoenix98 wrote:01 (14) 02 | "N'oublie Pas" - Mylène Farmer ft. LP | 1 (1)
03 (NE) 01 | "Preacher" - Years & Years | 3
04 (NE) 01 | "Finally Free" - Niall Horan | 4
05 (NE) 01 | "Lucky Escape" - Years & Years | 5
06 (03) 02 | "No Angel" - Charli XCX| 3
09 (04) 07 | "If You're Over Me" - Years & Years | 1 (1) | [P]
10 (NE) 01 | "Howl" - Years & Years | 10
13 (20) 17 | "Delicate" - Taylor Swift | 1 (2) | [2xP]
16 (RE) 08 | "I Like That" - Janelle Monáe | 2 (1) | [P]
17 (09) 07 | "Graves" - CHVRCHES | 1 (3) | [P]
18 (NE) 01 | "Hypnotised" - Years & Years | 18
20 (08) 02 | "Focus" - Charli XCX | 8
22 (NE) 01 | "Up In Flames" - Years & Years | 22
25 (05) 03 | "Palo Santo" - Years & Years | 5
26 (RE) 05 | "Heaven/Hell" - CHVRCHES | 4 | [G]
27 (RE) 08 | "Call It What You Want" - Taylor Swift | 6 | [P]
Second week I’ve missed…
So you checked out “Palo Santo” and it seems to have a massive effect here, which I love to see. I think it’s definitely a very strong album and I’d even say it’s one of the best pop releases this year so far. Unfortunately, my highlights aren’t doing too well (the title track, “Hypnotised” and “Rendezvous”), while I would rank “Preacher” and “Lucky Escape” to the weaker songs on the album (but they’re still good) :oops:

Cool to see Britney’s “Man On The Moon” back. I had a little Britney day a week and a half ago and listened to some of her albums ("Blackout", "Circus", "Femme fatale", "Britney Jean" and "Glory"). I really miss her, hopefully she comes back soon, as I’m always here for her.
Tansike
Legend

Return to Personal Charts