Paulboard Top 30 | 12.07.18 | it hurts to be awake...

Moderators: tdc2000, JSparksFan, FreakyFlyBry

Postby phoenix98 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:50 pm

cheapthrills wrote:Oh this is interesting - what prompted the Dua Lipa invasion? Not that I'm complaining. Love that Hotter Than Hell is the highest of them :)
Both "Electricity" and the announcement of the upcoming Complete Edition of her album pushed Dua to the front to my mind that week. I was pretty late to the Dua party in general, only starting to explore her material after loving "Scared To Be Lonely," but her album was a really pleasant surprise overall! "Hotter Than Hell" is definitely one of its biggest standouts. Which other Dua offerings have you enjoyed the most?

cheapthrills wrote:Actually, your top five is full of artists that I really enjoy - and I'm probably the only one that thinks it's cute that they're at #1 while Chocolate is at #30 since the 1975 had a song with that title too. :P
Ha, I had no idea, so thanks for catching that! I've only heard a handful of their songs so far ("The Sound," "Somebody Else," "Love It If We Made It," and the stuff charting last week), but I'm planning to check out A Brief Inquiry Into Online Relationships as soon as it drops. I'm liking all of its singles/promo tracks so far, and the diversity of styles/sounds between them is really intriguing!

cheapthrills wrote:I have to admit that none of the legacy artists - Mimi, Janet, or Cher have really excited me with their releases. Should i turn in my gay card?
Revoked 5ever. :cry:

Kidding aside, your unenthusiasm is pretty understandable in those particular cases. "GTFO" seems to be mighty divisive, and while "Made For Now" is a cute feel-good jam, it doesn't really hold a candle to Janet's catalog of iconic uptempos. I'm digging Cher's "SOS" cover, but it can be hard to stand out when the original version is already SO well-known (and has been for decades).

Thanks again, cheapthrills! :D
phoenix98
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:00 pm

Paulboard Top 30
Chart Date: 09/21/18

• With a full week to rack up plays, "GTFO" vaults No. 10 ---> No. 1 to become Mariah's seventh chart-topper.

TW | LW | WKS ON | TITLE | ARTIST | PEAK | CERT

01 (10) 02 | "GTFO" - Mariah Carey | 1 (1) | [G]
02 (28) 02 | "Give Yourself A Try" - The 1975 | 2 (1)
03 (01) 05 | "TOOTIMETOOTIMETOOTIME" - The 1975 | 1 (1) | [P]
04 (NE) 01 | "5 Dollars" - Christine And The Queens | 4
05 (NE) 01 | "When I'm With Him" - Empress Of | 5
06 (02) 02 | "Electricity" - Silk City ft. Dua Lipa, Diplo, & Mark Ronson | 2 (1)
07 (RE) 09 | "Somebody Else" - The 1975 | 3 | [P]
08 (19) 03 | "Plum" - Troye Sivan | 2 (1) | [G]
09 (04) 05 | "Goodnight N Go" - Ariana Grande | 1 (3) | [P]
10 (05) 07 | "Hotter Than Hell" - Dua Lipa | 1 (1) | [P]
11 (13) 05 | "Room For 2" - Dua Lipa | 2 (1) | [G]
12 (RE) 05 | "Love It If We Made It" - The 1975 | 3 | [G]
13 (RE) 23 | "#Beautiful" - Mariah Carey ft. Miguel | 1 (2) | [4xP]
14 (NE) 01 | "Head Above Water" - Avril Lavigne | 14
15 (29) 02 | "Sincerity Is Scary" - The 1975 | 15
16 (12) 03 | "Seventeen" - Troye Sivan | 5
17 (03) 05 | "Breathin" - Ariana Grande | 3 | [P]
18 (11) 04 | "All I Am" - Jess Glynne | 3 | [G]
19 (RE) 14 | "One More Try" - Mariah Carey | 4 | [P]
20 (27) 03 | "Lucky Strike" - Troye Sivan | 6
21 (RE) 07 | "Infinity" - Mariah Carey | 1 (1) | [P]
22 (06) 05 | "Made For Now" - Janet Jackson ft. Daddy Yankee | 3 | [G]
23 (14) 05 | "Genesis" - Dua Lipa | 4 | [G]
24 (08) 05 | "Everytime" - Ariana Grande | 8 | [G]
25 (RE) 17 | "Dedicated" - Mariah Carey ft. Nas | 2 (2) | [2xP]
26 (RE) 09 | "Push" - Avril Lavigne | 3 | [P]
27 (RE) 06 | "The Sound" - The 1975 | 1 (1) | [G]
28 (RE) 04 | "The Writer" - Ellie Goulding | 12 | [P]
29 (RE) 11 | "All For You" - Years & Years | 1 (2) | [2xP]
30 (NE) 01 | "I Don't" - Mariah Carey ft. YG | 30

[GOLD] = 25+ total plays
[PLAT] = 50+ total plays
phoenix98
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:40 am

I thought about it for a bit, and I think the last time I disliked a Mariah single as much as I dislike "GTFO" was "Loverboy" some 17 years ago.

I checked out "Give Yourself a Try", and it was okay. I feel like the 1975 aren't really my style, though. Lyrically, they're cute, but, melodically, they're meh.

01 (10) 02 | "GTFO" - Mariah Carey | 1 (1) | [G]
02 (28) 02 | "Give Yourself A Try" - The 1975 | 2 (1)
03 (01) 05 | "TOOTIMETOOTIMETOOTIME" - The 1975 | 1 (1) | [P]
04 (NE) 01 | "5 Dollars" - Christine And The Queens | 4
05 (NE) 01 | "When I'm With Him" - Empress Of | 5
08 (19) 03 | "Plum" - Troye Sivan | 2 (1) | [G]
09 (04) 05 | "Goodnight N Go" - Ariana Grande | 1 (3) | [P]
10 (05) 07 | "Hotter Than Hell" - Dua Lipa | 1 (1) | [P]
13 (RE) 23 | "#Beautiful" - Mariah Carey ft. Miguel | 1 (2) | [4xP]
14 (NE) 01 | "Head Above Water" - Avril Lavigne | 14
16 (12) 03 | "Seventeen" - Troye Sivan | 5
17 (03) 05 | "Breathin" - Ariana Grande | 3 | [P]
19 (RE) 14 | "One More Try" - Mariah Carey | 4 | [P]
20 (27) 03 | "Lucky Strike" - Troye Sivan | 6
21 (RE) 07 | "Infinity" - Mariah Carey | 1 (1) | [P]
22 (06) 05 | "Made For Now" - Janet Jackson ft. Daddy Yankee | 3 | [G]
24 (08) 05 | "Everytime" - Ariana Grande | 8 | [G]
25 (RE) 17 | "Dedicated" - Mariah Carey ft. Nas | 2 (2) | [2xP]
28 (RE) 04 | "The Writer" - Ellie Goulding | 12 | [P]
29 (RE) 11 | "All For You" - Years & Years | 1 (2) | [2xP]
30 (NE) 01 | "I Don't" - Mariah Carey ft. YG | 30

phoenix98 wrote:Aw, so is Bloom pretty much a total "pass" for you, aside from "Dance To This"? "Seventeen" had that promising Top 2 peak on your chart, but didn't last too long afterward...
No, I definitely still adore "My My My!" and "Seventeen" is solid, too.

phoenix98 wrote:She's definitely served up her most personal/revealing material this time around, and it's especially impactful given how some of her real-life struggles mirror our own in pretty specific ways (as shown in "Breathin" and "Get Well Soon"). Big-name acts often keep things incredibly broad/generic even when they're supposedly penning "personal" lyrics ("I get insecure sometimes", "I'm not always as nice as I seem"), but Ari illustrates her anxiety in ways that REALLY resonate. There's still a lot I love about her other albums (and I still prefer them overall), but I can't say they ever touched on some of my own inner demons the way she does on certain Sweetener tracks.
Yeah, Sweetener certainly isn't her strongest effort overall, but its heights reach new limits for Ari.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:50 pm

JSparksFan wrote:I thought about it for a bit, and I think the last time I disliked a Mariah single as much as I dislike "GTFO" was "Loverboy" some 17 years ago.
:o Yikes. I've got a pretty big soft spot for "Loverboy" too, and to think that both of those could somehow make FAR worse impressions than the likes of "Boy (I Need You)," "Right To Dream," "Triumphant" (though I knew you're more drawn to that one), "I Don't" (and that one), "The Star," etc... :cry:

I can definitely get people not being AS charmed as I've been, but I think the attitude/sauciness that pervades the track is a lot of fun, and there's plenty of catchy/melodic parts throughout: "might as well down this Caymus bottlLlLlLe, I ain't the type to play the martyrRrRrR..."

JSparksFan wrote:I checked out "Give Yourself a Try", and it was okay. I feel like the 1975 aren't really my style, though. Lyrically, they're cute, but, melodically, they're meh.
Thanks for giving them another chance. I'd only checked out a couple of their offerings prior to their current era, but they've really won me over with the four singles/preview tracks, and I'm impressed with the diversity of sounds/styles between them. I know they've already failed you twice, but if you're ever feeling generous enough to give them one last try, "TOOTIMETOOTIMETOOTIME" is the catchiest thing I've heard from them yet (and the video itself is quite cute, uplifting, smile-inducing).

JSparksFan wrote:No, I definitely still adore "My My My!" and "Seventeen" is solid, too.
Well, I guess 3/10 isn't totally terrible :lol: I finally got around to checking out the Target/HMV deluxe edition tracks the other day, and I'd say "Running Shoes" is absolutely standard-edition-worthy.

Thanks again, Akini! :D
Last edited by phoenix98 on Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
phoenix98
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:52 pm

Wow! What a massive jump for "GTFO". Tbh, I don't like it at all but I will be listening to her upcoming stuff. I need to check out some Mariah songs soon (haven't really been into her and I need to try to get into her) :D

"#Beautiful" is good, though. I am glad it re-entered your chart. It's part of my Top 5 Mariah singles probably :D
Christine And The Queens' new project is interesting but also a bit too "uneventful" for me (sadly). Love to see Ariana & Troye and Years & Years.
Mainshow
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:55 pm

Mainshow wrote:Wow! What a massive jump for "GTFO". Tbh, I don't like it at all but I will be listening to her upcoming stuff. I need to check out some Mariah songs soon (haven't really been into her and I need to try to get into her) :D

"#Beautiful" is good, though. I am glad it re-entered your chart. It's part of my Top 5 Mariah singles probably :D
Christine And The Queens' new project is interesting but also a bit too "uneventful" for me (sadly). Love to see Ariana & Troye and Years & Years.
Ha, no worries, you're definitely not alone in being thoroughly unimpressed by "GTFO" :lol: I'm glad you're a fan of "#Beautiful," though! When you mentioned that "Triumphant" was the last Mariah song you truly liked, I was afraid that meant "#Beautiful" had really underwhelmed you too. I love that you're considering delving deeper into her catalog! She's been one of my absolute favorite artists for a while now, so I think there's plenty of gems to discover ;) If that 2-disc version of Japan Best actually gets released, that wouldn't be a bad place to start...

I don't know much of Christine And The Queen's material (I'd only heard "Tilted" and "Saint Claude" before her current era), but "5 Dollars" is doing MUCH more for me than "Girlfriend" or "Doesn't Matter" managed.

Thanks again, Mainshow! :D
phoenix98
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:15 pm

Paulboard Top 30
Chart Date: 09/28/18

• "GTFO" refuses to get out of the penthouse, becoming Mariah's first multi-week-No. 1 since "#Beautiful" in 2013.

01 (01) 03 | "GTFO" - Mariah Carey | 1 (2) | [G]
02 (04) 02 | "5 Dollars" - Christine And The Queens | 2 (1) | [G]
03 (NE) 01 | "Future Pop" - Perfume | 3
04 (05) 02 | "When I'm With Him" - Empress Of | 4
05 (NE) 01 | "One Of Us" - Cher | 5
06 (14) 02 | "Head Above Water" - Avril Lavigne | 6
07 (NE) 01 | "Zero" - Imagine Dragons | 7
08 (06) 03 | "Electricity" - Silk City ft. Dua Lipa, Diplo, & Mark Ronson | 2 (1) | [G]
09 (03) 06 | "TOOTIMETOOTIMETOOTIME" - The 1975 | 1 (1) | [P]
10 (NE) 01 | "Running Shoes" - Troye Sivan | 10
11 (RE) 18 | "Love You Like A Love Song" - Selena Gomez & The Scene | 1 (2) | [2xP]
12 (NE) 01 | "They Don't Know" - Ariana Grande | 12
13 (08) 04 | "Plum" - Troye Sivan | 2 (1) | [G]
14 (09) 06 | "Goodnight N Go" - Ariana Grande | 1 (3) | [P]
15 (NE) 01 | "Let You Love Me" - Rita Ora | 15
16 (02) 03 | "Give Yourself A Try" - The 1975 | 2 (1) | [G]
17 (RE) 14 | "Dices" - Selena Gomez & The Scene | 1 (1) | [2xP]
18 (16) 04 | "Seventeen" - Troye Sivan | 5 | [G]
19 (RE) 10 | "Sweet Refrain" - Perfume | 2 (1) | [P]
20 (RE) 09 | "Anywhere" - Rita Ora | 1 (1) | [P]
21 (NE) 01 | "Things I'll Never Say" - Avril Lavigne | 21
22 (RE) 06 | "Dance To This" - Troye Sivan ft. Ariana Grande | 10 | [G]
23 (RE) 14 | "Piano" - Ariana Grande | 1 (1) | [2xP]
24 (RE) 07 | "Popular Song" - Mika ft. Ariana Grande | 2 (1) | [P]
25 (20) 04 | "Lucky Strike" - Troye Sivan | 6
26 (RE) 05 | "Girls Like You" - Maroon 5 | 5 | [G]
27 (26) 10 | "Push" - Avril Lavigne | 3 | [P]
28 (NE) 01 | "Honey" - Robyn | 28
29 (NE) 01 | "My World" - Avril Lavigne | 29
30 (RE) 10 | "Bloom" - Troye Sivan | 1 (1) | [P]

[GOLD] = 25+ total plays
[PLAT] = 50+ total plays
phoenix98
Legend

Postby cheapthrills » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:16 pm

SO Mimi has hit #1 with other songs since Beautiful?

When I'm With Him is at #4 on your list too :o So glad to see someone else who loves it - between the two of us, she should show up on CZB's chart :D

Really lvoing the Ariana/Troyefest :)

I gave Perfume a try, but I feel like I'm listening to background music for Mario Kart or something, haha. I think my favorite new entry is probably the Troye song Running Shoes.
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby Mainshow » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:16 am

Yeah, "GTFO" is just so bland to me... I dunno... I miss the beat or her vocals. It just goes nowhere somehow.... Mariah's not really been successful here in Germany, singles-wise... and that's why I basically just know a couple of songs... I would love to buy that "Japan Best" CD, for sure!

Interesting to see a Japanese band being so high.

OMG! Love You Like A Love Song"... for some months.. this song had been my favourite track by Selena... So glad taht catchy masterpiece re-entered your chart!

Cute little debut for "Honey" and it's nice to see "Girls Like You" and "Bloom" back. I also appreciate it that you didn't mention Cardi B.. even though I don't mind her, I prefer the album version of that song.
Mainshow
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:30 pm

cheapthrills wrote:SO Mimi has hit #1 with other songs since Beautiful?
Yep, both "You're Mine (Eternal)" and "Infinity" managed a week on top. Mariah's been an absolute favorite of mine since junior high, so a lot of her new releases come with a good amount of "new single hype" for me. Those two were fairly front-loaded (both fell from No. 1 ---> right out of the Top 5 and never returned to that region), but they did eventually go Platinum.

cheapthrills wrote:When I'm With Him is at #4 on your list too :o So glad to see someone else who loves it - between the two of us, she should show up on CZB's chart :D
I owe that one completely to you, so thanks again for introducing me to it! I'd never heard of Empress Of before, and she (sadly) hasn't impacted many official charts, so I may never have come across "When I'm With Him" otherwise!

cheapthrills wrote:I gave Perfume a try, but I feel like I'm listening to background music for Mario Kart or something, haha. I think my favorite new entry is probably the Troye song Running Shoes.
Ha, that’d be a pretty perfect combo! I might finally get a decent placement if Perfume were providing the soundtrack to those races... :lol:

REALLY glad to hear you like "Running Shoes" too! The Bloom Target/HMV bonus tracks came up during a conversation in JakeP's thread, so I hunted them down online to check them out. "This This" doesn't do a whole lot for me, but "Running Shoes" ABSOLUTELY should've been on the standard edition! It's easily one of my Top 5 picks across the entire album (possibly even Top 2...)

phoenix98
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:45 pm

Mainshow wrote:Yeah, "GTFO" is just so bland to me... I dunno... I miss the beat or her vocals. It just goes nowhere somehow.... Mariah's not really been successful here in Germany, singles-wise... and that's why I basically just know a couple of songs... I would love to buy that "Japan Best" CD, for sure!
"GTFO" is definitely pretty slow, chill-sounding, never builds to a big chorus...but there's a lot of attitude/cheekiness in the lyrics that I really like, and parts that I find really catchy too: "might as well down this Caymus bottleEeE, I ain't the type to play the martyrRrRrRr..." I hear you, though, and there's still a lot of classic acts whose catalogs I've never explored either. I just checked out my first-ever ABBA album a couple months ago. :lol:

Mainshow wrote:Interesting to see a Japanese band being so high.
I completely owe a friend from college for sitting me down and introducing me to some awesome J-Pop videos. I'd never paid any attention to the genre before that (and still don't follow it SUPER closely in general, but I'll occasionally check for new releases from certain acts, like Perfume).

Mainshow wrote:OMG! Love You Like A Love Song"... for some months.. this song had been my favourite track by Selena... So glad taht catchy masterpiece re-entered your chart!
Tansike totally deserves the credit for that re-entry, since we were just talking about "Love You Like A Love Song" (and its awesome video) over in his thread! Absolutely one of my all-time-favorite Selena singles too (with or without The Scene). When you say it had been your favorite, does that mean it's been replaced? What dethroned it?

Mainshow wrote:Cute little debut for "Honey" and it's nice to see "Girls Like You" and "Bloom" back. I also appreciate it that you didn't mention Cardi B.. even though I don't mind her, I prefer the album version of that song.
Same here, for sure. I'm glad that Cardi helped make it into such a smash, but her parts don't enhance the song at all for me.

phoenix98
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:00 pm

Paulboard Top 30
Chart Date: 10/05/18

• Troye sprints to the top for the second time this year with "Running Shoes," which follows in the footsteps of "Bloom." Sadly, "Running Shoes" doesn't appear to be anywhere on YouTube, but you can hear it in full here.

01 (10) 02 | "Running Shoes" - Troye Sivan| 1 (1)
02 (NE) 01 | "What You Waiting For" - Sigala ft. Kylie Minogue | 2 (1)
03 (04) 03 | "When I'm With Him" - Empress Of | 3 | [G]
04 (NE) 01 | "A-OK (Everything's Perfect)" - Terror Jr | 4
05 (01) 04 | "GTFO" - Mariah Carey | 1 (2) | [G]
06 (06) 03 | "Head Above Water" - Avril Lavigne | 6
07 (RE) 14 | "Who Says" - Selena Gomez & The Scene | 1 (1) | [2xP]
08 (NE) 01 | "There's No Way" - Lauv ft. Julia Michaels | 8
09 (12) 02 | "They Don't Know" - Ariana Grande | 9
10 (20) 10 | "Anywhere" - Rita Ora | 1 (1) | [P]
11 (02) 03 | "5 Dollars" - Christine And The Queens | 2 (1) | [G]
12 (05) 02 | "One Of Us" - Cher | 5
13 (03) 02 | "Future Pop" - Perfume | 3
14 (15) 02 | "Let You Love Me" - Rita Ora | 14
15 (NE) 01 | "Heart Attack" - Phoebe Ryan ft. Tove Lo | 15
16 (09) 07 | "TOOTIMETOOTIMETOOTIME" - The 1975 | 1 (1) | [P]
17 (21) 02 | "Things I'll Never Say" - Avril Lavigne | 17
18 (17) 15 | "Dices" - Selena Gomez & The Scene | 1 (1) | [2xP]
19 (NE) 01 | "Mamma Mia" - Cher | 19
20 (NE) 01 | "Chiquitita" - Cher | 20
21 (14) 07 | "Goodnight N Go" - Ariana Grande | 1 (3) | [P]
22 (RE) 08 | "Heaven Wasn't Made For Me" - Terror Jr | 1 (1) | [P]
23 (07) 02 | "Zero" - Imagine Dragons | 7
24 (16) 04 | "Give Yourself A Try" - The 1975 | 2 (1) | [G]
25 (RE) 05 | "All I Am" - Jess Glynne | 3 | [G]
26 (RE) 06 | "Your Song" - Rita Ora | 2 (1) | [G]
27 (29) 02 | "My World" - Avril Lavigne | 27
28 (NE) 01 | "Been A Minute" - Sevyn Streeter ft. August Alsina | 28
29 (28) 02 | "Honey" - Robyn | 28
30 (NE) 01 | "Moves" - Olly Murs ft. Snoop Dogg | 30

[GOLD] = 25+ total plays
[PLAT] = 50+ total plays
phoenix98
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:04 pm

Wow, your description almost made "GTFO"sound like a masterpiece. You almost got me.. I almsot wanted to go back listening to this track :D - Wow, I can't at you never ever listened to an album by ABBA :D What an outrage :D

Tbh, J-Pop ain't my cup of tea but Japan usually rocks the ABU TV Song Festival. Perfume represented that country in that festival a few years ago and I really liked their performance ;) - It's always a nice thing to be open-minded and to encounter different cultures via music! ;)

Tansike is a nice guy with a good taste in music. I am glad he influenced you(r love for LYLALS). When it comes to Selena, my favourite song changes from time to time... but it should be either "Fetish", "Good For You" or "The Heart Wants What It Wants" atm :D

When it comes to your new charts... wow what a massive jump for Troye! I can't believe he dethroned Mariah!
Amazing debut for Sigala and Kylie (it's not my cup of tea either, tbh... I prefer Kylie's "Golden" or her unapologetic pop tunes).
Nice to see "Head Above Water" being so stable and nice new peak for "They Don't Know" - Sadly, that song just left the ARIANA GRANDE ARTIST SURVIVOR here on Ukmix.
Great and lovely debut for "Moves". - Check out my Olly Murs countdown if you like ;) - Perosnally, I think it's one of his weakest lead singles, though.

"Dices" omg.. that is so random :D
Mainshow
Legend

Postby Tansike » Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:28 pm

phoenix98 wrote:Not a weird question at all! It's very considerate of you to ask <3 I'm totally fine either way (using my real first name or username). What about for you? Of course, you can always just call me whatever you want... ;)

Well, how could we have our slumber party if I still lived in the US? ;) Kidding aside, if you mean this guy shares my Facebook name, that's actually my first and middle name (not my first and last). Around the time I graduated from college, a lot of my friends started doing that on Facebook (using their first-and-middle names instead of first-and-last) to make it a little harder for employers and others to find our accounts. I'm not sure if that method's really effective :lol: but I've kept it that way ever since.
Ah good <3 Well, for me it doesn’t matter. Some people also know my real name, but they very rarely use it on UKMix.

True :cool: Oh really? Haha, so it’s actually an even funnier coincidence… yes, he’s having your middle name as his last name then. That’s definitely an interesting method and depending on where you want to work or what you’re posting on social media, it’s also a good thing to do. Though you have to have a middle name for that, but I guess it’s pretty common in the US to have a middle name, right? Because over here it isn’t (and it’s still a rare thing).

phoenix98 wrote:Exactly! At LEAST release it digitally/provide SOME way for fans to acquire an official version (if the label doesn't think it's worth printing actual CDs/booklets/etc. after the leak). Scrapping it entirely seems like such a waste of years' worth of work!
Yep. Oh well, it is what it is. 2010-2013 was such a different time when it comes to leaks and stuff, today it doesn’t happen that often anymore, thankfully. The last major leak I remember was Madonna’s “Rebel Heart” in late 2014…

phoenix98 wrote:Yeah...well, at least as far as the non-singles go. The overall biggest standouts on her debut are probably "Teardrops..." and "Our Song" (obvious picks, I know, but it makes sense they were her first crossover hits).

The timing can really impact our impressions of an album, for sure. Like with Janet: her first two albums have a pretty poor reputation among fans, and weren't very successful either, so it was hard to completely push that impression out of my mind when I finally got around to exploring them myself. If I'd been alive (and interested) back when they first came out, my feelings toward the material might've been quite different.
True, these two are very obvious highlights and it’s not a surprise they turned out to become a hit. Maybe I should re-visit the album during a quiet time to get some seconds opinions on the tracks… I usually have time to do that (revisiting albums) during Christmas so let’s see :)

Yeah… but I guess that’s pretty normal. Experiencing albums (or songs overall) when they get released usually has a completely different impact as they’re current and new.

phoenix98 wrote:Ha, yeah, that "LaserLight" cert surprised me too :lol: There are some rare cases where songs are just unlucky and narrowly miss out on the Top 30 for several weeks. Songs usually need at least 3 plays in a week to make my chart, so some will have 2-3 plays (slowly-but-surely working toward that Gold cert) and still not appear here. I remember that happening with Zara's "So Good" (it would've landed somewhere in the No. 31-No. 35 range for at least a few weeks), which was probably the case with "LaserLight" too.
That’s interesting! I was thinking about doing certification based on plays as well, but I think it’s quite difficult to keep up all the certs, isn’t it? Or how are you handle that? Are you just keeping track of the current songs and add the older ones once you reveal a discography?

phoenix98 wrote:"All Good Things" is SO gorgeous :cry: It's been too long since I've revisited Loose. That album is pretty phenomenal (especially its singles).
It’s been ages since the last time I’ve heard it, I really need to give it a spin later this week. It was so strong from start to finish, plus they picked the best possible single choices IMO. That era was so iconic! A shame “All Good Things” flopped in the US though :(

phoenix98 wrote:She's had 18 entries so far :D I'll round up her Top 10 hits for you:

"Something In The Water" = No. 1 peak | 8 weeks total | [P]
"Blown Away" = No. 4 | 9 wks | [P]
"Do You Think About Me" = No. 4 | 5 wks | [P]
"Good Girl" = No. 4 | 5 wks | [G]
"See You Again" = No. 4 | 3 wks | [G]
"I Told You So" = No. 6 | 3 wks
"That's Where It Is" = No. 6 | 2 wks
"Wasted" = No. 7 | 5 wks | [G]
"Two Black Cadillacs" = No. 8 | 3 wks | [G]
"Independence Day" = No. 8 | 2 wks

...and a quick shout-out to "Who Are You," which only peaked at No. 15, but lasted 5 weeks and went Gold.
Woah, 18 entries is a lot!
Thanks for sharing her discography <3

Love to see “Blown Away” being her longest charting single and being certified with Platinum. It’s still my most favorite song of her, closely followed by “Church Bells”. It looks like the “Storyteller” era didn’t really connect with you…

phoenix98 wrote:I do! Although the quality of her output has gotten much less consistent in the 2010's, she's been a top favorite of mine since junior high (Kylie is a very close second, though). That is AWESOME news about "GTFO" :o I'm not sure if I've ever heard your complete thoughts on Mariah, but I don't remember you ever mentioning her as a favorite or anything :lol: "GTFO" seems to have people pretty divided, but I'm charmed by it! It managed that No. 10 debut with only a day's worth of plays (due to its Thursday release), so it'll definitely climb even higher on my next chart...

Thanks again, Tansike! :D
Oh…. I remembered you liking Mariah that much, but had no idea Kylie was second :o Anyways, it’s cool how Mariah remained your top favorite even though you think her output has gotten weaker over the past few years. Well, for me, she’s a legend but musically she doesn’t really get me. I like lots of her songs but never bothered to buy an album for example. But when I hear something (especially her hits from earlier), I always enjoy it a lot. So it’s not that I would dislike her. I’m glad she has released something which you seem to like a lot :)

phoenix98 wrote:Paulboard Top 30
Chart Date: 10/05/18

01 (10) 02 | "Running Shoes" - Troye Sivan| 1 (1)
05 (01) 04 | "GTFO" - Mariah Carey | 1 (2) | [G]
06 (06) 03 | "Head Above Water" - Avril Lavigne | 6
07 (RE) 14 | "Who Says" - Selena Gomez & The Scene | 1 (1) | [2xP]
09 (12) 02 | "They Don't Know" - Ariana Grande | 9
10 (20) 10 | "Anywhere" - Rita Ora | 1 (1) | [P]
12 (05) 02 | "One Of Us" - Cher | 5
14 (15) 02 | "Let You Love Me" - Rita Ora | 14
18 (17) 15 | "Dices" - Selena Gomez & The Scene | 1 (1) | [2xP]
19 (NE) 01 | "Mamma Mia" - Cher | 19
20 (NE) 01 | "Chiquitita" - Cher | 20
21 (14) 07 | "Goodnight N Go" - Ariana Grande | 1 (3) | [P]
25 (RE) 05 | "All I Am" - Jess Glynne | 3 | [G]
26 (RE) 06 | "Your Song" - Rita Ora | 2 (1) | [G]
30 (NE) 01 | "Moves" - Olly Murs ft. Snoop Dogg | 30
I had no idea there’s a new song by Troye! Is this a leaked one?

“GTFO” keeps on doing very well here, which is no surprise considering you love her so much. Will be interesting to see how “With You” will do, as personally I prefer “GTFO”. What about you?

Very happy seeing Avril so high up your charts. What an unexpected return! I really thought she would come back with yet another girlie pop-rock song, but this is a comeback similar to what Kesha did last year. Fingers crossed it’s a hit for her, so far she’s not really taking off on airplay and streaming…

Love those random appearances for Selena Gomez (& The Scene) <3 <3 <3
Also nice to see Cher’s entries and it seems like you’re getting excited about Rita’s upcoming album :D

Poor Olly debuting at the very last spot on both of our charts :lol: He could do SO much better though so I’m not surprised he isn’t doing better…

I also have to highlight that one from the previous week:
11 (RE) 18 | "Love You Like A Love Song" - Selena Gomez & The Scene | 1 (2) | [2xP]

<3<3<3
I LOVE how this made a re-entry! And that was because of our chat, wasn’t it? :oops: So I love it even more <3
What’s her most successful song on your charts if I may ask? Or her highest certified one? 2xP is obviously impressive, but considering Mariah’s “#Beautiful” is 4xP for example and Years & Years “All For You” is already 2xP as well, 2xP for a #1-smash and 18-week-charting hit like “Love You Like A Love Song” seems quite… low :oops:
Tansike
Legend

Postby Fan » Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:11 pm

I felt with my comeback on the forum, it was only about right I don't only stalk you with private messages, but also here! :lol:

I strongly dislike the Sigala/Kylie song I am afraid. You know I love Kylie, but this song- and I know she is only a feature- is just soo below her standards. It's dull and generic and I cannot believe she releases this in the same year as the amazing Golden album.

When I'm With Him is gorgeous <3 Glad to see the love for it in here. GTFO is rather nice, almost reminds me of FKA Twigs :o The Avril comeback is strong as well, I only loved me a bit of Avril and this sounds like the perfect comeback for her.

5 Dollars is brilliant <33 One of the highlights on the new record. It's fun to see Anywhere and Your Song, feels like I never left this website :lol: Hoping to see her new song soon climbing though!! One of my favourite songs of the year.

Cher's One Of Us is a bit (okay, a massive) guilty pleasure :oops: I wouldn't dare to admit I like it, but secretly I do!! Haha.

Boo for Robyn being so low!! And the new Olly one is quite the tune again.
i wanna see you on your knees, wanna see you begging
Fan
Legend

Postby cheapthrills » Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:06 am

Running Shoes is really pretty - I had not heard it. so thanks for including the link. I'm all for a Troye topping though, even if that's not his usual position. :lol: Are big jumps to #1 like that common on your chart? :)

Hoping Empress Of can keep moving up :)

Your top 10 is almost perfect :D
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby cheapthrills » Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:08 am

Oh you have a Halloween themed avi too! :D
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby phoenix98 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:40 am

Mainshow wrote:Wow, your description almost made "GTFO" sound like a masterpiece. You almost got me.. I almost wanted to go back listening to this track :D - Wow, I can't at you never ever listened to an album by ABBA :D What an outrage :D
Ha, thanks! ALMOST got you, though? Damn, so close...and yet so far. :cry:

IKR? The shame :oops: It wasn't anything against ABBA specifically (I wasn't deliberately avoiding them), there's just SO many artists out there, and I generally like following and discovering current/new acts, so it can take a while before I get around to exploring legacy acts like ABBA.

Mainshow wrote:Tbh, J-Pop ain't my cup of tea but Japan usually rocks the ABU TV Song Festival. Perfume represented that country in that festival a few years ago and I really liked their performance ;) - It's always a nice thing to be open-minded and to encounter different cultures via music! ;)
:o I'd never heard of that ABU Festival before, so thanks for educating me! So it's basically the Asian version of Eurovision? I'm glad you think Perfume did Japan proud! If I found the right clip on YouTube, it looks like they performed "Spring Of Life"? Definitely a cute single of theirs that spent a few weeks on my chart back in 2012. Like a lot of J-Pop and K-Pop acts, their routines are almost always on-point!

Mainshow wrote:Tansike is a nice guy with a good taste in music. I am glad he influenced you(r love for LYLALS). When it comes to Selena, my favourite song changes from time to time... but it should be either "Fetish", "Good For You" or "The Heart Wants What It Wants" atm :D
Ooh...some slightly-unexpected picks, but I like a good surprise! I enjoyed some of her output with The Scene the most ("Naturally," "Who Says," "Love You Like A Love Song"), but the highlights of her solo years have been "Slow Down," "Hands To Myself," and "Bad Liar" for me.

Mainshow wrote:Amazing debut for Sigala and Kylie (it's not my cup of tea either, tbh... I prefer Kylie's "Golden" or her unapologetic pop tunes).
:o I've seen Golden receive a fair amount of hate/dismissal (the country influence seems to have instantly turned people off), so I'm relieved to hear it didn't have that effect on you! What are some of your favorites from it?

Mainshow wrote:Great and lovely debut for "Moves". - Check out my Olly Murs countdown if you like ;) - Perosnally, I think it's one of his weakest lead singles, though.
I don't know Olly's catalog super well (I only have some of his singles + the US edition of Right Place Right Time), but I'll be keeping my eyes on your Ari list! I didn't have a whole lot to say about "The Light Is Coming," but it looks like you just posted a couple more entries, so I'll pop in there sometime this weekend!

Mainshow wrote:"Dices" omg.. that is so random :D
I really love "Who Says" :lol: and I think the Spanish version works almost equally well! The way they translated/tweaked the lyrics gives the song a slightly different feel too.

phoenix98
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:50 am

Tansike wrote:Ah good <3 Well, for me it doesn’t matter. Some people also know my real name, but they very rarely use it on UKMix.

True :cool: Oh really? Haha, so it’s actually an even funnier coincidence… yes, he’s having your middle name as his last name then. That’s definitely an interesting method and depending on where you want to work or what you’re posting on social media, it’s also a good thing to do. Though you have to have a middle name for that, but I guess it’s pretty common in the US to have a middle name, right? Because over here it isn’t (and it’s still a rare thing).
Good to know! I figure it's generally easier/less confusing for others when we stick to people's usernames (unless that person uses their real name for their chart or something else really obvious).

:o So most people you know in Switzerland don't have a middle name at all? I had no idea it was such a regional trend! Granted, it's not like having one is that necessary - in a lot of the cases I know, it's just used as a tribute to a deceased relative (or because the parents couldn't agree on the first name). :lol:

Tansike wrote:Yeah… but I guess that’s pretty normal. Experiencing albums (or songs overall) when they get released usually has a completely different impact as they’re current and new.
**Nod** Getting to experience all that hype and excitement as it's unfolding (with each new video release, performance, single announcement, etc) can really help ingrain an era in your head (and heart).

Tansike wrote:That’s interesting! I was thinking about doing certification based on plays as well, but I think it’s quite difficult to keep up all the certs, isn’t it? Or how are you handle that? Are you just keeping track of the current songs and add the older ones once you reveal a discography?
Exactly! Since last.fm keeps track of every song's total plays for me, I'll just check those figures and post certs for the songs that actually make my chart each week (or any songs that someone specifically asks about). I don't constantly update the certs for every song in my spreadsheet with all the debut dates, peaks, and total weeks. It seems like you stay more on top of yours, because you keep track of their ongoing all-time point totals?

Tansike wrote:It’s been ages since the last time I’ve heard it, I really need to give it a spin later this week. It was so strong from start to finish, plus they picked the best possible single choices IMO. That era was so iconic! A shame “All Good Things” flopped in the US though :(
Ugh, so true :x It deserved so much better (especially since it was released as the follow-up to her No. 1 smash "Say It Right" here). I can't remember exactly how the timing played out, but a part of the problem might've been that it got over-shadowed by "Give It To Me" (which was pretty huge here).

Tansike wrote:Love to see “Blown Away” being her longest charting single and being certified with Platinum. It’s still my most favorite song of her, closely followed by “Church Bells”. It looks like the “Storyteller” era didn’t really connect with you…
Yeah, though I only gave the singles a listen or two (I never actually added any of the album to my library, since those first impressions were pretty underwhelming) :oops: Maybe they were growers that I never gave a chance to blossom...

Tansike wrote:Oh…. I remembered you liking Mariah that much, but had no idea Kylie was second :o Anyways, it’s cool how Mariah remained your top favorite even though you think her output has gotten weaker over the past few years. Well, for me, she’s a legend but musically she doesn’t really get me. I like lots of her songs but never bothered to buy an album for example. But when I hear something (especially her hits from earlier), I always enjoy it a lot. So it’s not that I would dislike her. I’m glad she has released something which you seem to like a lot :)
:cry: :cry: :cry:

Heartbreak aside, you're definitely not the first person to have that experience with her, especially outside the US. I know she enjoyed plenty of global success in the 90's, but nothing on-par with the MEGA-success she experienced in the States (18 No. 1 singles, 6 No. 1 albums, etc), so her status as a legacy (well, and still current) act probably isn't quite the same overseas. Granted, even with her many years of massive chart success here in the 90's and 00's, I'm not sure if American kids/teens these days have much respect for/interest in her anyway... :oops:

Tansike wrote:I had no idea there’s a new song by Troye! Is this a leaked one?
It's one of the two Target/HMV-exclusive Bloom tracks. They came up in a conversation in Jake's thread, so I decided to hunt them down online and give them a listen. "This This" doesn't do a WHOLE lot for me, but "Running Shoes" quickly became one of my favorites across the entire album!

Tansike wrote:“GTFO” keeps on doing very well here, which is no surprise considering you love her so much. Will be interesting to see how “With You” will do, as personally I prefer “GTFO”. What about you?
I definitely enjoy "GTFO" more, but "With You" has grown on me enough that it'll still enjoy a decent debut. I REALLY wasn't feeling the "with you, you, you" hook at first, but the lyrics have a way of sticking with you. I'd still hesitate to call the song "catchy" overall, but parts of it were randomly popping into my head from time-to-time.

Tansike wrote:Very happy seeing Avril so high up your charts. What an unexpected return! I really thought she would come back with yet another girlie pop-rock song, but this is a comeback similar to what Kesha did last year. Fingers crossed it’s a hit for her, so far she’s not really taking off on airplay and streaming…
:o That's a really fitting comparison that hadn't crossed my mind! Sadly, I don't have high hopes for its Hot 100 success - but at least it stayed on the chart for a second week (*64* - 93) :lol: Which is kind of impressive given the massive influx of Lil Wayne tracks...

Tansike wrote:I LOVE how this made a re-entry! And that was because of our chat, wasn’t it? :oops: So I love it even more <3 What’s her most successful song on your charts if I may ask? Or her highest certified one? 2xP is obviously impressive, but considering Mariah’s “#Beautiful” is 4xP for example and Years & Years “All For You” is already 2xP as well, 2xP for a #1-smash and 18-week-charting hit like “Love You Like A Love Song” seems quite… low :oops:
It absolutely was, so thanks for giving me a reason to re-visit it (and all of When The Sun Goes Down, actually). Let me round up her Top 10 hits (with and without The Scene):

"Naturally" = No. 1 (2) peak | 20 weeks total | [3xP]
"Love You Like A Love Song" = No. 1 (2) | 18 wks | [2xP]
"Dices" = No. 1 (1) | 15 wks | [2xP]
"Who Says" = No. 1 (1) | 15 wks | [3xP]
"Bad Liar" = No. 1 (1) | 7 wks | [P]
"Hands To Myself" = No. 3 | 10 wks | [P]
"Middle Of Nowhere" = No. 3 | 3 wks | [G]
"Slow Down" = No. 4 | 6 wks | [P]
"Same Old Love" = No. 4 | 5 wks | [G]
"My Dilemma" = No. 5 | 3 wks | [G]
"Fetish" = No. 6 | 4 wks
"Back To You" = No. 7 | 8 wks | [G]
"Good For You" = No. 8 | 3 wks

Ah, that's an interesting observation about LYLALS! 3xP and higher certs are really rare (just over 50 songs have passed the 3xP threshold, while 3,000+ songs have entered my chart over the years), so LYLALS is still among my Top 100 most-played-ever. Its run was: 26 - *1* - 1 - 13 - 6 - 19 - OUT - 26 - OUT - 16 - OUT - 5 - 9 - OUT - 24 - OUT - 29 - OUT - 15 - 11 - OUT - 25 - OUT - 30 - OUT - 10 - OUT - 11 - OUT. Many of those weeks were below the Top 10, which helps to explain its cert, but all of those re-entries show how it keeps me coming back after all these years. <3

Thanks again, Tancel! :D
phoenix98
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:00 am

Fan wrote:I felt with my comeback on the forum, it was only about right I don't only stalk you with private messages, but also here! :lol:
WELCOME BACK!!! Of course, your presence is welcome anywhere and everywhere, dear Fan - so stalk away! <3

Fan wrote:I strongly dislike the Sigala/Kylie song I am afraid. You know I love Kylie, but this song- and I know she is only a feature- is just soo below her standards. It's dull and generic and I cannot believe she releases this in the same year as the amazing Golden album.
I can't really ague with a lot of what you're saying - it IS beneath her usual caliber of material (when she's the lead), and it IS fairly “generic” in sound and theme - but I still find it to be more fun/light/inoffensive than aggravating. I'm not crazy about the hyperbolic/melodramatic negativity when the big crime here is just being a fluffy farewell-to-summer song (albeit slightly late). If she'd been the hook girl on Eminem's latest single ("F**k Off And Die, You F**king F*ggot") or something, I'd certainly be sharing your rage, though!

More importantly: I'm REALLY glad that you love Golden too! I'd forgotten that our message exchange halted before that album actually dropped :o What are your favorite moments??

Fan wrote:When I'm With Him is gorgeous <3 Glad to see the love for it in here. GTFO is rather nice, almost reminds me of FKA Twigs :o The Avril comeback is strong as well, I only loved me a bit of Avril and this sounds like the perfect comeback for her.
Agreed! I completely owe cheapthrills for that one, since I'd never even heard of Empress Of before he started charting "When I'm With Him." She (and that song in particular) don't get as much buzz as they deserve!

Fan wrote:5 Dollars is brilliant <33 One of the highlights on the new record. It's fun to see Anywhere and Your Song, feels like I never left this website :lol: Hoping to see her new song soon climbing though!! One of my favourite songs of the year.
Pleased that "5 Dollars" gets your stamp of approval too :D That hook really reels you in (as it should): "5 dollars, baby bluuuuuues, 5 dollars baby..." I haven't checked out Chris in full (just the English versions of the 3 singles), so would you say I'm not missing much else on that album?

I don't quite share your level of enthusiasm for "Let You Love Me," but it seems like everyone can agree it's a step up from "Girls" :lol: You really ought to share your dance routine with UKMIX too, not just your (lucky) neighbors! ;)

Fan wrote:Cher's One Of Us is a bit (okay, a massive) guilty pleasure :oops: I wouldn't dare to admit I like it, but secretly I do!! Haha.
:lol: Why so much shame about enjoying "One Of Us"? It strikes me as one of the most interesting moments on Dancing Queen, where she actually gives one of those classics a more unique, memorable twist/update.

Fan wrote:Boo for Robyn being so low!! And the new Olly one is quite the tune again.
I still plan to check out Honey, but the title track just isn't sticking with me :oops: This is a bit petty of me, but I always get distracted by that gross "strands of saliva" line :x SUCH an off-putting visual!

Thanks again, Fan! :D
phoenix98
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:10 am

cheapthrills wrote:Running Shoes is really pretty - I had not heard it. so thanks for including the link. I'm all for a Troye topping though, even if that's not his usual position. :lol: Are big jumps to #1 like that common on your chart? :)
:lol: You're so bad... ;)

REALLY glad you agree about "Running Shoes," though! No. 1 debuts are pretty common here. My chart is based on play counts, so as soon as I come across a song that really clicks with me, I usually spam it a bunch right away :lol: "Running Shoes" entered at No. 10 because I got ahold of the song in the middle of the week, so it just didn't have as much time to accumulate plays as most of its competition (it was the same story for "GTFO" after its Thursday release).

The last jump to the top bigger than No. 10 was SZA's "Prom" rebounding No. 14 ---> No. 1, since some of the lyrics felt really relevant around my birthday (and a visit from family). Thanks for asking - it was fun looking that up - and thanks for giving "Running Shoes" a listen too!

cheapthrills wrote:Hoping Empress Of can keep moving up :)
Cracking the Top 2 will be tough, especially as "When I'm With Him" gets older and new tunes crop up each week, but its 5 - 4 - *3* run so far is still something to be plenty proud of! Usually chart runs are much messier here. :lol:

cheapthrills wrote:Oh you have a Halloween themed avi too! :D
You totally inspired me on that front! 8-)

phoenix98
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:15 am

Paulboard Top 30
Chart Date: 10/12/18

• Allie X has something big to celebrate after scoring her first-ever No. 1 with Super Sunset preview track "Little Things."

01 (NE) 01 | "Little Things" - Allie X | 1 (1)
02 (04) 02 | "A-OK (Everything's Perfect)" - Terror Jr | 2 (1)
03 (NE) 01 | "Sweet But Psycho" - Ava Max | 3
04 (01) 03 | "Running Shoes" - Troye Sivan| 1 (1) | | [G]
05 (05) 05 | "GTFO" - Mariah Carey | 1 (2) | [P]
06 (NE) 01 | "With You" - Mariah Carey | 6
07 (02) 02 | "What You Waiting For" - Sigala ft. Kylie Minogue | 2 (1)
08 (NE) 01 | "Without Me" - Halsey | 8
09 (RE) 08 | "Alone" - Halsey | 1 (1) | [P]
10 (14) 03 | "Let You Love Me" - Rita Ora | 10
11 (03) 04 | "When I'm With Him" - Empress Of | 3 | [G]
12 (07) 15 | "Who Says" - Selena Gomez & The Scene | 1 (1) | [3xP]
13 (06) 04 | "Head Above Water" - Avril Lavigne | 6 | [G]
14 (NE) 01 | "Why Did You Do That?" - Lady Gaga | 14
15 (09) 03 | "They Don't Know" - Ariana Grande | 9
16 (22) 09 | "Heaven Wasn't Made For Me" - Terror Jr | 1 (2) | [P]
17 (11) 04 | "5 Dollars" - Christine And The Queens | 2 (1) | [G]
18 (NE) 01 | "Shallow" - Lady Gaga ft. Bradley Cooper | 18
19 (12) 03 | "One Of Us" - Cher | 5
20 (15) 02 | "Heart Attack" - Phoebe Ryan ft. Tove Lo | 15
21 (08) 02 | "There's No Way" - Lauv ft. Julia Michaels | 8
22 (RE) 12 | "I Choose You" - Sara Bareilles | 2 (1) | [P]
23 (RE) 15 | "Colors" - Halsey | 1 (1) | [2xP]
24 (21) 08 | "Goodnight N Go" - Ariana Grande | 1 (3) | [P]
25 (13) 03 | "Future Pop" - Perfume | 3
26 (NE) 01 | "Diamond Heart" - Alan Walker ft. Sophia Somajo | 26
27 (NE) 01 | "Polaroid" - Jonas Blue ft. Liam Payne & Lennon Stella | 27
28 (10) 11 | "Anywhere" - Rita Ora | 1 (1) | [P]
29 (26) 07 | "Your Song" - Rita Ora | 2 (1) | [G]
30 (16) 08 | "TOOTIMETOOTIMETOOTIME" - The 1975 | 1 (1) | [P]

[GOLD] = 25+ total plays
[PLAT] = 50+ total plays
phoenix98
Legend

Postby Fan » Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:20 pm

phoenix98 wrote:WELCOME BACK!!! Of course, your presence is welcome anywhere and everywhere, dear Fan - so stalk away! <3

I can't really ague with a lot of what you're saying - it IS beneath her usual caliber of material (when she's the lead), and it IS fairly “generic” in sound and theme - but I still find it to be more fun/light/inoffensive than aggravating. I'm not crazy about the hyperbolic/melodramatic negativity when the big crime here is just being a fluffy farewell-to-summer song (albeit slightly late). If she'd been the hook girl on Eminem's latest single ("F**k Off And Die, You F**king F*ggot") or something, I'd certainly be sharing your rage, though!

More importantly: I'm REALLY glad that you love Golden too! I'd forgotten that our message exchange halted before that album actually dropped :o What are your favorite moments??

Agreed! I completely owe cheapthrills for that one, since I'd never even heard of Empress Of before he started charting "When I'm With Him." She (and that song in particular) don't get as much buzz as they deserve!

Pleased that "5 Dollars" gets your stamp of approval too :D That hook really reels you in (as it should): "5 dollars, baby bluuuuuues, 5 dollars baby..." I haven't checked out Chris in full (just the English versions of the 3 singles), so would you say I'm not missing much else on that album?

I don't quite share your level of enthusiasm for "Let You Love Me," but it seems like everyone can agree it's a step up from "Girls" :lol: You really ought to share your dance routine with UKMIX too, not just your (lucky) neighbors! ;)

:lol: Why so much shame about enjoying "One Of Us"? It strikes me as one of the most interesting moments on Dancing Queen, where she actually gives one of those classics a more unique, memorable twist/update.

I still plan to check out Honey, but the title track just isn't sticking with me :oops: This is a bit petty of me, but I always get distracted by that gross "strands of saliva" line :x SUCH an off-putting visual!

Thanks again, Fan! :D
WOO <3
It is super nice to talk again, that is for sure. I have missed our messages and keeping up-to-date what's up (and sharing our shameless love of amazing pop music <3).

Haha, yeah I don't know what it is. I think I just get a bit annoyed when people I really like release stuff that is so below them. I also don't like the song he did with Paloma even though I adore her as well.

I do think we talked a bit about Dancing, didn't we? But I wasn't active on here when the full record dropped, no. So we totally missed that :o Sorry xx
Stop Me From Falling is my absolutele jam, combined with Sincerely Yours (the fact the she doesn't perform that one on tour is making me rather sad). I do love Dancing a lot, Shelby 68 is great, Lost Without You is very good. I like the title track. In general I think it's a very cohesive record.

Oh no, I think the album is very good. Maybe a bit long, but definitely worth checking out. I enjoy it a lot. But 5 Dollars is definitely my highlight (atleast for now).

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Maybe another time. You didn't like Girls then? I really enjoyed that song as well, especially after seeing her perform it live.

HAHAHAHA. I knoww. It's just my friends making fun of it, haha.

Good new entry for Allie X, she is releasing some very interesting stuff lately. I am loving Not So Bad In LA as well.
I haven't seen A Star Is Born yet, have you?, but I do have listened to Shallow and it's a gorgeous track. Super nice to see her smashing a bit again with it in the charts as well.
i wanna see you on your knees, wanna see you begging
Fan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:16 am

Just checked out your #1. Didn't care much for it. :oops:

I'm happy that "With You" debuted as high as #6, though. From your reaction to it in my thread, I figured it might've missed the chart entirely. It might be safe to conclude that you appreciate "With You" more than I do "GTFO". :lol:

The whole crew seems to be charting "Diamond Heart". I don't think I'll be joining that bandwagon, though. :lol:

01 (NE) 01 | "Little Things" - Allie X | 1 (1)
03 (NE) 01 | "Sweet But Psycho" - Ava Max | 3
05 (05) 05 | "GTFO" - Mariah Carey | 1 (2) | [P]
06 (NE) 01 | "With You" - Mariah Carey | 6
08 (NE) 01 | "Without Me" - Halsey | 8
10 (14) 03 | "Let You Love Me" - Rita Ora | 10
12 (07) 15 | "Who Says" - Selena Gomez & The Scene | 1 (1) | [3xP]
13 (06) 04 | "Head Above Water" - Avril Lavigne | 6 | [G]
14 (NE) 01 | "Why Did You Do That?" - Lady Gaga | 14
16 (22) 09 | "Heaven Wasn't Made For Me" - Terror Jr | 1 (2) | [P]
18 (NE) 01 | "Shallow" - Lady Gaga ft. Bradley Cooper | 18
19 (12) 03 | "One Of Us" - Cher | 5
22 (RE) 12 | "I Choose You" - Sara Bareilles | 2 (1) | [P]
23 (RE) 15 | "Colors" - Halsey | 1 (1) | [2xP]
24 (21) 08 | "Goodnight N Go" - Ariana Grande | 1 (3) | [P]
26 (NE) 01 | "Diamond Heart" - Alan Walker ft. Sophia Somajo | 26
28 (10) 11 | "Anywhere" - Rita Ora | 1 (1) | [P]
29 (26) 07 | "Your Song" - Rita Ora | 2 (1) | [G]
30 (16) 08 | "TOOTIMETOOTIMETOOTIME" - The 1975 | 1 (1) | [P]
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby cheapthrills » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:50 pm

Hmm, the #1 is just ok for me, but #s 2-4 are great - really happy to see Ava Max in the top three as I discovered that from a couple other personal charts here - I think JakeP's? Disappointed Empress Of crashes so hard this week.

But lots of other great debuts - Gaga! Diamond Heart! Polaroid! I Choose You!!! :o

I just noticed that few songs move UP on your chart - they either debut, re-enter, or move down. Looks like Terror Jr bucks the trend. I guess that is typical?
cheapthrills
Superstar

Return to Personal Charts