Paulboard Top 30 | 11.16.18 | she grew from the drama...

Moderators: JSparksFan, tdc2000, FreakyFlyBry

Postby phoenix98 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:00 pm

Paulboard Top 30
Chart Date: 07/14/17

• In a week with relatively low play counts toward the top, Olly wins a tiebreaker with Imagine Dragons to claim his second Paulboard No. 1 (following "Kiss Me" in 2015.)

TW | LW | WKS ON | TITLE | ARTIST | PEAK | CERT

01 (NE) 01 | "Unpredictable" - Olly Murs ft. Louisa Johnson | 1 (1)
02 (NE) 01 | "Thunder" - Imagine Dragons | 2 (1)
03 (09) 03 | "As If It's Your Last" - BLACKPINK | 1 (1) | [G]
04 (NE) 01 | "Praying" - Kesha | 4
05 (12) 02 | "Feels" - Calvin Harris ft. Pharrell Williams, Katy Perry, & Big Sean | 5
06 (05) 03 | "Hoodie" - Hey Violet | 5
07 (02) 04 | "Talking To Myself" - Terror Jr | 2 (1) | [G]
08 (08) 06 | "울고 싶지 않아 (Don't Wanna Cry)" - SEVENTEEN | 1 (2) | [P]
09 (03) 04 | "Do Or Die" - Terror Jr | 1 (1) | [G]
10 (01) 05 | "Swish Swish" - Katy Perry ft. Nicki Minaj | 1 (1) | [G]
11 (NE) 01 | "Get Low" - Zedd ft. Liam Payne | 11
12 (RE) 05 | "Kiss Me" - Olly Murs | 1 (1) | [G]
13 (RE) 11 | "It's Time" - Imagine Dragons | 2 (2) | [P]
14 (06) 02 | "Versace On The Floor (Remix)" - Bruno Mars ft. David Guetta | 6
15 (04) 04 | "Personal" - Terror Jr | 2 (1) | [G]
16 (NE) 01 | "Disconnect" - Clean Bandit ft. Marina & The Diamonds | 16
17 (RE) 06 | "Oh My Goodness" - Olly Murs | 10 | [G]
18 (RE) 02 | "You Don't Know Love" - Olly Murs | 12
19 (RE) 05 | "On Top Of The World" - Imagine Dragons | 3 | [G]
20 (RE) 10 | "Demons" - Imagine Dragons | 4 | [P]
21 (RE) 12 | "Right Place Right Time" - Olly Murs | 3 | [P]
22 (RE) 04 | "Hey You Beautiful" - Olly Murs | 10 | [G]
23 (RE) 08 | "Up" - OIly Murs ft. Demi Lovato | 7 | [G]
24 (14) 03 | "Know No Better" - Major Lazer ft. Travis Scott, Camila Cabello, & Quavo | 14
25 (13) 03 | "Uh Huh" - Julia Michaels | 13
26 (RE) 05 | "Wrapped Up" - Olly Murs ft. Travie McCoy | 7 | [G]
27 (10) 02 | "Still Feels Like The First Time" - Zoot Woman ft. Kylie Minogue | 10
28 (RE) 03 | "Shots" - Imagine Dragons | 14
29 (07) 03 | "Remember I Told You" - Nick Jonas ft. Anne-Marie & Mike Posner | 7
30 (15) 07 | "Cut To The Feeling" - Carly Rae Jepsen | 1 (1) | [P]

[GOLD] = 25+ total plays
[PLAT] = 50+ total plays
phoenix98
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:26 pm

Mr. Receding Hairline at #1! 8-) I remember six years back when you had far more fondness for Joe McElderry. I wonder how things are going with him. Your #2 is pretty decent, too. I keep putting off listening to Imagine Dragons' new album, but I'll make an effort to get to it before the end of the month.

So many fantastic (English-sung :oops: ) debuts this week. I remember being told that Ke$ha was far more vocally sound than her first few singles suggested, and "Praying" makes good on that all these years later. I don't think it's as outstanding a song as I would have liked for her big comeback, but it makes a statement, and, hell, I'm just grateful she's back at all.

"Get Low" has warmed on me. "Strip That Down" never really had much of a chance, but this Zedd-assisted one is actually a fun jam, and with no hyped expectations for a video, there was no letdown to taint my appreciation (albeit still limited) for the song.

I'm guessing the "Disconnect" debut is Tansike's influence? The song is good, but definitely not on par with their big three singles - "Rather Be," "Rockabye," and "Symphony".

01 (NE) 01 | "Unpredictable" - Olly Murs ft. Louisa Johnson | 1 (1)
03 (09) 03 | "As If It's Your Last" - BLACKPINK | 1 (1) | [G]
05 (12) 02 | "Feels" - Calvin Harris ft. Pharrell Williams, Katy Perry, & Big Sean | 5
10 (01) 05 | "Swish Swish" - Katy Perry ft. Nicki Minaj | 1 (1) | [G]
14 (06) 02 | "Versace On The Floor (Remix)" - Bruno Mars ft. David Guetta | 6
17 (RE) 06 | "Oh My Goodness" - Olly Murs | 10 | [G]
18 (RE) 02 | "You Don't Know Love" - Olly Murs | 12
29 (07) 03 | "Remember I Told You" - Nick Jonas ft. Anne-Marie & Mike Posner | 7
30 (15) 07 | "Cut To The Feeling" - Carly Rae Jepsen | 1 (1) | [P]

phoenix98 wrote: :lol: I know you know Terror Jr. Granted, pushing you to check out their entire (awesome) album would almost certainly backfire, especially since you didn't seem too impressed with anything of theirs that you checked out after "Heartbreaks"...but there's something about "Sweatpants" (well, the chorus, mostly) that makes me think you might appreciate it at least a little.
I didn't like "Sweatpants," but I might still listen to the album because I've checked out so few LPs for the year, I won't be able to put together a year-end albums list if I don't pick up the pace!

phoenix98 wrote:Speaking of seeing the light, thank GAWD there's finally a K-Pop bop we both enjoy! You have shared "Heaven" before, and it's certainly lovely stuff. The fact that I'm typically drawn to the uptempo, poppiest K-Pop offerings might be a part of our disconnect problem (since you've had the greatest appreciation for a lush ballad.)
There's something about great vocals that get me - in any language. They all translate to magic for me. :lol:

phoenix98 wrote: :o That's your BORED look? Damn. I can only imagine how much sexy you can serve up when you're actually trying...
Aw, you flatter me!
Franklin’s music profoundly touched and changed the world, because over and over it offered that bridge to salvation, to freedom.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Phoenixx » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:25 pm

phoenix98 wrote:
Phoenixx wrote:- Did you listen to Halseys new Album? I love it. especially the Single "Now Or Never"! :D

- What you think about Little Mix' and Fifth Harmonys new Singles "Power" and "Down"? :)

- I'm very happy to see Malibu and Feels charting here. 8-)

- Your #01 ain't one of my faves but it's a good song to play between thr Songs :D
I haven't, but I definitely like "Now Or Never" too! What's your second-favorite track on her album?

I like both! "Power" never REALLY took off on my chart, but it's made a handful of appearances since I bought their album back in December (21 - *11* - 22 - OUT - 19 - 20 - OUT.) I still haven't checked out the single version with Stormzy, though :oops: I was pretty hooked on "Down" at first, but it ended up wearing off me pretty quickly (*2* - 11 - 20 - OUT.)

I wasn't really sure what to make of "Malibu" at first, especially since the chorus is so subtle/understated and the whole track just kind of flows right along...but it soon wound up stuck in my head anyway! It's like breezy bliss in a bottle. The video really captures that feeling too.

Aw, "Swish Swish" is definitely one of my top-faves on Witness (along with "Bon Appétit" and "Bigger Than Me")...but I'm glad that you at least think it's a good song! :lol:

Thanks again, Marcus! :D

marat2408 wrote:Nice increase for Katy Perry. I'm really surprised by her underperforming on charts around the world. Her singles always were high on charts.

Great debut for "Versace On The Floor", but I prefer original version instead of remix.
SO true :cry: I get that every act loses their chart appeal eventually, but Katy's decline was just SO abrupt and unexpected. Her lowest-peaking Hot 100 hit had been "Thinking Of You" at No. 29...until "Bon Appétit" only managed No. 59 and "Swish Swish" No. 46 :oops: I really didn't see this coming, and I don't understand why radio (and much of the public) suddenly lost interest in her in such a big way. She hasn't had any real scandals (aside from the silly Taylor "feud", but people love that stuff anyway), and I really don't think her material is THAT much worse than everything she served up during her hit streak from 2008 - 2014.

Ah, same here! I just played the original SO much last fall/winter, David's remix has given it some new life now that it's FINALLY an official single.

Thanks again, marat! :D
Hopeless is my 2nd fave of the Album 8-)

Katy isn't that great singer which she was in the past, unfortunately :(
Phoenixx
Purpose

Postby Phoenixx » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:26 pm

Happy to see a few old & new Imagine Dragons Songs here. Especially Thunder at #02 8-)
Phoenixx
Purpose

Postby Tansike » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:00 am

phoenix98 wrote:Ha. You must be QUITE popular at work if you're always randomly singing about getting on your knees... :wink:

:lol: I love how you put "solo" in quotes. It's so true. Although I do separate her pre-and-post-Scene stuff too, it really is like she was a solo act all along. The whole "band" thing always just seemed like such a pointless, obviously-contrived way to help her stand out a little from her Disney peers like Miley, Demi, etc.

Agreed! I'd probably rank "Down" below all of those too, but I still wish it was doing better on official charts :( I really don't want Camila's departure to be the end of them, especially when they were just starting to really take off with hits like "Worth It" and "Work From Home" (and even "All In My Head (Flex)", to an extent.)

YES! Although I love pretty much that entire album, "Gimmie Love" is easily my favorite across the entire LP <3 Maybe if "Run Away With Me" had been the lead single? I do like "I Really Like You", but trying to force another viral hit like that only re-enforced how many people just saw her as a gimmicky one-hit-wonder after CMM. I wonder if "This Kiss" is somewhat to blame too, since that abruptly halted her momentum after CMM and "Good Time."

Thanks again, Tansike! :D
:lol: Don’t worry, I’m not singing it at work, only in the car or at home :lol:

Agree about that. It would be interesting to know if Disney just wanted that ‘Scene’ thing or if she wanted it too.

Okay, just checked the iTunes positions and I’m surprised “Down” isn’t doing better :( Especially because Camila’s song is doing quite well, and I really, really dislike her (though “Crying” is a nice tune).

We will never know what would have happened with “Run Away With Me” as lead :cry: As for “This Kiss”, I always thought it was the most obvious choice for a single, but you’re probably right… it’s not the most charts friendly tune.

phoenix98 wrote:Chart Date: 06/16/17
02 (NE) 01 | "Bigger Than Me" - Katy Perry | 2 (1)
04 (NE) 01 | "Swish Swish" - Katy Perry ft. Nicki Minaj | 4
06 (NE) 01 | "Déjá Vu" - Katy Perry | 6
07 (NE) 01 | "Miss You More" - Katy Perry | 7
08 (NE) 01 | "Pendulum" - Katy Perry | 8
09 (NE) 01 | "Roulette" - Katy Perry | 9
12 (NE) 01 | "Save As Draft" - Katy Perry | 12
13 (RE) 05 | "Chained To The Rhythm" - Katy Perry ft. Skip Marley | 4 | [G]
20 (08) 07 | "Bon Appétit" - Katy Perry ft. Migos | 1 (1) | [P]
23 (RE) 07 | "The Cure" - Lady Gaga | 1 (2) | [P]
25 (NE) 01 | "Hey Hey Hey" - Katy Perry | 25
27 (NE) 01 | "Into Me You See" - Katy Perry | 27
Fantastic week for Katy! There’s obviously more that I liked in that week like all the Carly singles or “Bad Liar”, but I’m only quoting the ones I ‘have to say something about’, if that makes sense :lol:
Anyways, as we already discussed in my chart topic, I’d say “Bigger Than Me”, “Déja Vu”, “Pendulum” and “Roulette” are my favorite non-singles, so I’m glad these were all so successful here. Also nice comeback for the underrated “The Cure” :)

phoenix98 wrote:Chart Date: 06/23/17
07 (30) 05 | "Bad Liar" - Selena Gomez | 1 (1) | [G]
Video of the year effect :cool:

phoenix98 wrote:Chart Date: 06/30/17
24 (NE) 01 | "Inspired" - Miley Cyrus | 24
25 (RE) 02 | "Pendulum" - Katy Perry | 8
Ouch. Kinda sad to see “Pendulum” were such a flop in its second week :lol:
Anyways, nice debut for “Inspired”. It’s probably her weakest single to date though.

phoenix98 wrote:Chart Date: 07/07/17
01 (11) 04 | "Swish Swish" - Katy Perry ft. Nicki Minaj | 1 (1) | [G]
07 (RE) 02 | "Remember I Told You" - Nick Jonas ft. Anne-Marie & Mike Posner | 7
12 (NE) 01 | "Feels" - Calvin Harris ft. Pharrell Williams, Katy Perry, & Big Sean | 12
30 (NE) 01 | "Perfect Places" - Lorde | 30
Not that awful lyric video having such an effect on “Swish Swish” :lol: But hey, I love the track, so I’m happy for everything that helps!
“Remember I Told You” looked so good on paper as I liked the releases by all three artists lately, but the song was so underwhelming :(
“Perfect Places” currently grows on me, cool song! Also love “Feels”! :)

phoenix98 wrote:Chart Date: 07/14/17
22 (RE) 04 | "Hey You Beautiful" - Olly Murs | 10 | [G]
23 (RE) 08 | "Up" - OIly Murs ft. Demi Lovato | 7 | [G]
26 (RE) 05 | "Wrapped Up" - Olly Murs ft. Travie McCoy | 7 | [G]
28 (RE) 03 | "Shots" - Imagine Dragons | 14
Wow, looks like you had an Olly Murs/Imagine Dragons week! :D Olly’s songs are often hit or miss for me, though his albums are often solid enough. I still haven’t heard his newest release though, but some of his older hits are good.
As for Imagine Dragons, I really, really like their new album, so I love to see them having such a great entry with “Thunder”.
Great debuts for “Praying”, “Get Low” and “Disconnect”. Three songs that I really like at the moment :)
Tansike
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:55 pm

Many thanks and much love for all the comments! :D

JSparksFan wrote:Mr. Receding Hairline at #1! 8-) I remember six years back when you had far more fondness for Joe McElderry. I wonder how things are going with him. Your #2 is pretty decent, too. I keep putting off listening to Imagine Dragons' new album, but I'll make an effort to get to it before the end of the month.
Can. NOT. believe you dug up that embarrassing mess :lol: Damn, was I BITTER! I mean...I stand by what I said about Olly's first couple singles (and I still think Joe's deserved more attention), but it was totally juvenile and cringeworthy of me to bring his looks into the discussion in such a manner. This is such a "be careful what you post online because it never disappears" moment...

Joe VS Olly aside, I'd love to hear your top picks from Imagine Dragons's album if/when you get around to that!

JSparksFan wrote:So many fantastic (English-sung :oops: ) debuts this week. I remember being told that Ke$ha was far more vocally sound than her first few singles suggested, and "Praying" makes good on that all these years later. I don't think it's as outstanding a song as I would have liked for her big comeback, but it makes a statement, and, hell, I'm just grateful she's back at all.
Ah, you're totally right! I can vaguely recall people touting her vocals back then, but this is the first time we're really hearing them one of her singles. You must've had the bar set pretty high if "Praying" fails to meet it, though. Could you possibly elaborate on what you think it's lacking?

JSparksFan wrote:"Get Low" has warmed on me. "Strip That Down" never really had much of a chance, but this Zedd-assisted one is actually a fun jam, and with no hyped expectations for a video, there was no letdown to taint my appreciation (albeit still limited) for the song.
Oh, if he DARES to pull that nonsense again, he's blacklisted for life. Not even kidding. (Well, unless he put out a collabo with Cheryl...)

In fact, I think he owes a little homoerotic action with Zedd in the "Get Low" video for that transgression...

JSparksFan wrote:I'm guessing the "Disconnect" debut is Tansike's influence? The song is good, but definitely not on par with their big three singles - "Rather Be," "Rockabye," and "Symphony".
Partially, for sure (and I might've seen it on Jake's chart too?) I definitely liked "Rockabye" (eventually) and "Symphony", though, so I was curious to check out whatever they gave us next.

JSparksFan wrote:I didn't like "Sweatpants," but I might still listen to the album because I've checked out so few LPs for the year, I won't be able to put together a year-end albums list if I don't pick up the pace!
Damn. I really thought the whole "f**kin' hoes with my sweatpants on, ooh, ooh, get over it, I'm a comfy b**ch" hook might've been up your alley (the attitude of it, at least.)

JSparksFan wrote:There's something about great vocals that get me - in any language. They all translate to magic for me. :lol:
This seriously needs to become everyone's approach to music.

JSparksFan wrote:Aw, you flatter me!
Just callin' it like I see it. 8-)

Thanks again, Akini! :D

Phoenixx wrote:Happy to see a few old & new Imagine Dragons Songs here. Especially Thunder at #02 8-)
I didn't pay much attention to them during the Smoke + Mirrors era ("Shots" was OK, but never really hooked me), but I LOVED some of the singles off Night Visions (especially "It's Time" and "Demons.") "Thunder" is definitely my favorite of theirs since "On Top Of The World" (and it might even beat that one...)

Thanks again, Marcus! :D

Tansike wrote::lol: Don’t worry, I’m not singing it at work, only in the car or at home :lol:
Noooo! Your gift needs to be SHARED, Tansike! Can you feature on one of your bf's group's recordings? Or maybe he can encourage you to finally upload some of your own...

Tansike wrote:Agree about that. It would be interesting to know if Disney just wanted that ‘Scene’ thing or if she wanted it too.
That's definitely been my assumption (especially given how young she was, I doubt she had much/any say.) I'd be interested in seeing some official confirmation, though.

Tansike wrote:Okay, just checked the iTunes positions and I’m surprised “Down” isn’t doing better :( Especially because Camila’s song is doing quite well, and I really, really dislike her (though “Crying” is a nice tune).
:lol: I totally forgot about your random, intense Camila hate. If it's any consolation, "Crying" really isn't doing that well on the Hot 100 (it's been on for 8 weeks now, and has only managed a No. 47 peak.)

Tansike wrote:Anyways, as we already discussed in my chart topic, I’d say “Bigger Than Me”, “Déja Vu”, “Pendulum” and “Roulette” are my favorite non-singles, so I’m glad these were all so successful here. Also nice comeback for the underrated “The Cure” :)
It's really a shame/worrying that "The Cure" hasn't done better, since it shows that it wasn't just the sound of the Joanne singles that were the problem, but people really might still be pretty over/dis-interested in Gaga herself. :(

Tansike wrote:Video of the year effect :cool:
:lol: It really was fantastic, but Dua's "New Rules" has given it some VERY stiff competition.

Tansike wrote:Anyways, nice debut for “Inspired”. It’s probably her weakest single to date though.
Hmmm...possibly...but "Fly On The Wall" comes pretty close for me (not counting all the stuff she released as Hannah Montana, since I haven't heard most of that.)

Tansike wrote:Not that awful lyric video having such an effect on “Swish Swish” :lol: But hey, I love the track, so I’m happy for everything that helps!
Ha, yeah, like I was saying over in your chart, it's definitely not something I'd watch again, but it did its job of putting the song at the front of my mind again.

Tansike wrote:Wow, looks like you had an Olly Murs/Imagine Dragons week! :D Olly’s songs are often hit or miss for me, though his albums are often solid enough. I still haven’t heard his newest release though, but some of his older hits are good.
Ooh...I'd love to know which of Olly's offerings have been your favorites/biggest chart hits! Admittedly, I wasn't paying much attention to his latest era either (since "You Don't Know Love" didn't do much for me) until I saw "Unpredictable" on Jake's chart.

phoenix98
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:00 pm

Paulboard Top 30
Chart Date: 07/21/17

• Fueled by one of the finest videos of 2017, Dua Lipa claims her first-ever Paulboard No. 1 with "New Rules."

01 (NE) 01 | "New Rules" - Dua Lipa | 1 (1)
02 (06) 04 | "Hoodie" - Hey Violet | 2 (1) | [G]
03 (NE) 01 | "Break A Little" - kirstin | 3
04 (03) 04 | "As If It's Your Last" - BLACKPINK | 1 (1) | [G]
05 (08) 07 | "울고 싶지 않아 (Don't Wanna Cry)" - SEVENTEEN | 1 (2) | [P]
06 (09) 05 | "Do Or Die" - Terror Jr | 1 (1) | [G]
07 (02) 02 | "Thunder" - Imagine Dragons | 2 (1)
08 (07) 05 | "Talking To Myself" - Terror Jr | 2 (1) | [G]
09 (12) 06 | "Kiss Me" - Olly Murs | 1 (1) | [G]
10 (11) 02 | "Get Low" - Zedd ft. Liam Payne | 10
11 (NE) 01 | "Fetish" - Selena Gomez ft. Gucci Mane | 11
12 (05) 03 | "Feels" - Calvin Harris ft. Pharrell Williams, Katy Perry, & Big Sean | 5
13 (RE) 03 | "Only Wanna Dance With You" - Ke$ha | 4 | [G]
14 (RE) 10 | "C'Mon" - Ke$ha | 2 (1) | [P]
15 (04) 02 | "Praying" - Kesha | 4
16 (01) 02 | "Unpredictable" - Olly Murs ft. Louisa Johnson | 1 (1)
17 (NE) 01 | "Sorry Not Sorry" - Demi Lovato | 17
18 (14) 03 | "Versace On The Floor (Remix)" - Bruno Mars ft. David Guetta | 6
19 (23) 09 | "Up" - Olly Murs ft. Demi Lovato | 7 | [G]
20 (15) 05 | "Personal" - Terror Jr | 2 (1) | [G]
21 (NE) 01 | "All That Matters (The Beautiful Life)" - Ke$ha | 21
22 (RE) 02 | "Supernatural" - Ke$ha | 11
23 (RE) 05 | "Cannibal" - Ke$ha | 1 (1) | [G]
24 (RE) 07 | "Thinking Of You" - Ke$ha | 2 (1) | [P]
25 (RE) 07 | "Body Say" - Demi Lovato | 2 (1) | [G]
26 (RE) 07 | "Cool For The Summer" - Demi Lovato | 3 | [G]
27 (17) 07 | "Oh My Goodness" - Olly Murs | 10 | [G]
28 (RE) 05 | "Selfish" - Britney Spears | 20
29 (RE) 10 | "Million Miles" - Kylie Minogue | 5 | [P]
30 (RE) 17 | "Into The Blue" - Kylie Minogue | 1 (3) | [3xP]

[GOLD] = 25+ total plays
[PLAT] = 50+ total plays
phoenix98
Legend

Postby Tansike » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:34 am

phoenix98 wrote:Noooo! Your gift needs to be SHARED, Tansike! Can you feature on one of your bf's group's recordings? Or maybe he can encourage you to finally upload some of your own...
:lol: Unfortunately I’m not good at singing so that’s a big problem there :lol:

phoenix98 wrote:That's definitely been my assumption (especially given how young she was, I doubt she had much/any say.) I'd be interested in seeing some official confirmation, though.
True. Anyway, it’s kinda weird that she was on her ‘own’ with “Stars Dance” but she still doesn’t include that one to her solo career, as she labels her upcoming album as album #2. It probably would have made more sense to keep The Scene for “Stars Dance”…

phoenix98 wrote: :lol: I totally forgot about your random, intense Camila hate. If it's any consolation, "Crying" really isn't doing that well on the Hot 100 (it's been on for 8 weeks now, and has only managed a No. 47 peak.)
Haha no idea why I dislike her, she just seems absolutely unsympathetic… :oops: Anyway, if the music is good, I may change my mind about her. I also disliked Zara Larsson at first, now I really love her, so who knows, maybe it will be similar with Camila? Also, it may be no huge hit, but at least it charted and is hanging on for some time now. I expected a total flop :oops:

phoenix98 wrote:It's really a shame/worrying that "The Cure" hasn't done better, since it shows that it wasn't just the sound of the Joanne singles that were the problem, but people really might still be pretty over/dis-interested in Gaga herself. :(
Yeah. Well to be fair “The Cure” had no promo at all and no video, she basically just released it and that was it. A shame, really, cause it deserved more. The whole album deserved more, no idea why she stopped releasing singles or promoting the era, especially since she had such a huge hype through the Super Bowl.

phoenix98 wrote:Ha, yeah, like I was saying over in your chart, it's definitely not something I'd watch again, but it did its job of putting the song at the front of my mind again.
…and now it’s likely to get an official video soon :o Kinda late, but I’m actually excited!

phoenix98 wrote:Ooh...I'd love to know which of Olly's offerings have been your favorites/biggest chart hits! Admittedly, I wasn't paying much attention to his latest era either (since "You Don't Know Love" didn't do much for me) until I saw "Unpredictable" on Jake's chart.

I’d pick “Dear Darlin’”, “Heart Skips A Beat”, “Troublemaker”, “Seasons” and “Up” as his best singles/songs so far (which were all also his biggest hits on my charts, though only “Dear Darlin’” was really ‘big’ as it went Gold…).

On to the current chart...

Awesome debut for Dua Lipa! I've finally watched her video as well and immediately loved it, so i can totally share the enthusiasm with you and Jake about that. It's cool to see at least a few artists still delivering with their videos as many artists became lazy when it comes to shooting a good vid...

Speaking about videos, Selena will release the one for "Fetish" today and i'm so freaking excited, as the pics all looked awesome! I'm slightly disappointed in her debut on your charts, missing the Top10 by just one spot :x I hope it will rise up your charts in the upcoming weeks, maybe also with the help of the video.

Meanwhile, even if i prefer "Fetish" a lot more, it's still nice to see "Get Low" becoming a Top10 hit. It seems a bit underrated, as was Liam's "Strip That Down". But i enjoy(ed) both... :oops:

LOVE to see all those entries for Kesha this week! :D
"Supernatural" used to be my most favorite song of "Warrior" for a long time, and i was sooo sad when they never released it as a single. I think it didn't age that well (as i've listened to some Kesha songs lately as well...) but it still a great dance tune. "Cannibal" still slays, so yay for this being a #1 hit on your Charts :o :D
Tansike
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:57 am

So I checked out "New Rules" and I adore it. The song has so many strengths: a well-defined list, a non-Chainsmokers-sounding EDM-led chorus, a decent video (perhaps "excellent" by 2017's IDGAF standards), and a strong female pop star lead, which I've been lacking in quite a few of my favourite songs this year. Actually, 90 seconds into it, I had to do my 'lil slow wine. :lol:

The rest of your list is also solid. Like I've said elsewhere, "Fetish" is already one of my favourite Selena Gomez songs. "Get Low" is definitely a step up from "Strip That Down". Some of the Ke$ha re-entries are cool, too. I don't think "C'Mon" ever got the love it deserved.

01 (NE) 01 | "New Rules" - Dua Lipa | 1 (1)
04 (03) 04 | "As If It's Your Last" - BLACKPINK | 1 (1) | [G]
07 (02) 02 | "Thunder" - Imagine Dragons | 2 (1)
10 (11) 02 | "Get Low" - Zedd ft. Liam Payne | 10
11 (NE) 01 | "Fetish" - Selena Gomez ft. Gucci Mane | 11
14 (RE) 10 | "C'Mon" - Ke$ha | 2 (1) | [P]
15 (04) 02 | "Praying" - Kesha | 4
16 (01) 02 | "Unpredictable" - Olly Murs ft. Louisa Johnson | 1 (1)
17 (NE) 01 | "Sorry Not Sorry" - Demi Lovato | 17
18 (14) 03 | "Versace On The Floor (Remix)" - Bruno Mars ft. David Guetta | 6
19 (23) 09 | "Up" - Olly Murs ft. Demi Lovato | 7 | [G]
25 (RE) 07 | "Body Say" - Demi Lovato | 2 (1) | [G]
26 (RE) 07 | "Cool For The Summer" - Demi Lovato | 3 | [G]
27 (17) 07 | "Oh My Goodness" - Olly Murs | 10 | [G]
28 (RE) 05 | "Selfish" - Britney Spears | 20
29 (RE) 10 | "Million Miles" - Kylie Minogue | 5 | [P]
30 (RE) 17 | "Into The Blue" - Kylie Minogue | 1 (3) | [3xP]

phoenix98 wrote:Joe VS Olly aside, I'd love to hear your top picks from Imagine Dragons's album if/when you get around to that!
"Whatever It Takes" is my stand-out favourite. It is lyrically the best thing I've heard from them since "Demons". I also like these four:

- I Don't Know Why
- Believer
- Walking the Wire
- Start Over

phoenix98 wrote:Ah, you're totally right! I can vaguely recall people touting her vocals back then, but this is the first time we're really hearing them one of her singles. You must've had the bar set pretty high if "Praying" fails to meet it, though. Could you possibly elaborate on what you think it's lacking?
My major gripe with it is the same as Hugo's: it's not angry enough. I don't know if the lawsuit robbed us of getting to hear her "anger" phase of grief, or maybe some of that will be found on her next LP, but it's like she fast-forwarded straight to "acceptance". I wanted something angrier, and "Praying" just feels so tame. I know I shouldn't be advocating hate over love, but there are rare circumstances where I certainly do, and this is one of them.
Franklin’s music profoundly touched and changed the world, because over and over it offered that bridge to salvation, to freedom.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Fan » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:15 am

I'm still not on board with New Rules. I really like Dua (Hotter Than Hell, Be The One, the Sean Paul collaboration are all massive tunes), but this song just doesn't seem to grow on me. The video's really cool though.

The new Selena track is decent. And C'Mon is one of my fav Kesha songs.
Olly's Oh My Goodness brings back so many memories, I used to be completely obsessed with him :oops: Into The Blue is a tunee!
i wanna see you on your knees, wanna see you begging
Fan
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:50 pm

Tansike wrote::lol: Unfortunately I’m not good at singing so that’s a big problem there :lol:
Aw. Maybe you're just your own worst critic? Surely your partner could give you some lessons...

I know your pain, though :lol: Singing is one of those natural talents that I'd REALLY love to have, but just...don't. I can't carry a tune at all. :oops:

Tansike wrote:True. Anyway, it’s kinda weird that she was on her ‘own’ with “Stars Dance” but she still doesn’t include that one to her solo career, as she labels her upcoming album as album #2. It probably would have made more sense to keep The Scene for “Stars Dance”…
:o Wait...what? This is news to me! So she disowned Stars Dance? I've never heard the full album, but "Come & Get It" actually seemed like a really fitting start to her "solo" career, since it sounded unlike anything she'd put out with The Scene.

Tansike wrote:Haha no idea why I dislike her, she just seems absolutely unsympathetic… :oops: Anyway, if the music is good, I may change my mind about her. I also disliked Zara Larsson at first, now I really love her, so who knows, maybe it will be similar with Camila? Also, it may be no huge hit, but at least it charted and is hanging on for some time now. I expected a total flop :oops:
:o Zara too? I had no idea! Back to Camila - I definitely wasn't expecting a "Despacito"-sized hit or anything, but I did expect better than No. 47, since I thought there was more buzz around her after "Bad Things."

Tansike wrote:Yeah. Well to be fair “The Cure” had no promo at all and no video, she basically just released it and that was it. A shame, really, cause it deserved more. The whole album deserved more, no idea why she stopped releasing singles or promoting the era, especially since she had such a huge hype through the Super Bowl.
Yeah, sadly, they took a really disjointed path following that massive opportunity. It seems like they kept pushing "Million Reasons" at radio here in the US (which kind of made sense)...but then abruptly dropped the "John Wayne" video without really making it a single in any other way (not sent to radio, no digital single)...and then dropped "The Cure" not long after, which didn't even get a video! :x

Tansike wrote:I’d pick “Dear Darlin’”, “Heart Skips A Beat”, “Troublemaker”, “Seasons” and “Up” as his best singles/songs so far (which were all also his biggest hits on my charts, though only “Dear Darlin’” was really ‘big’ as it went Gold…).
Ah, "Dear Darlin'" is a really solid pick! "Seasons" is the only one you mentioned that I've never really gotten into.

Tansike wrote:Awesome debut for Dua Lipa! I've finally watched her video as well and immediately loved it, so i can totally share the enthusiasm with you and Jake about that. It's cool to see at least a few artists still delivering with their videos as many artists became lazy when it comes to shooting a good vid...

Speaking about videos, Selena will release the one for "Fetish" today and i'm so freaking excited, as the pics all looked awesome! I'm slightly disappointed in her debut on your charts, missing the Top10 by just one spot :x I hope it will rise up your charts in the upcoming weeks, maybe also with the help of the video.

LOVE to see all those entries for Kesha this week! :D "Supernatural" used to be my most favorite song of "Warrior" for a long time, and i was sooo sad when they never released it as a single. I think it didn't age that well (as i've listened to some Kesha songs lately as well...) but it still a great dance tune. "Cannibal" still slays, so yay for this being a #1 hit on your Charts :o :D
VERY glad to hear that you got around to watching it (and loved it too!) I'm always especially impressed when (seemingly) low-budget clips end up being as engaging as "New Rules." The premise is pretty simple (getting ready to go out with her girls, who are keeping her from calling her man, and then she ends up in the role of one of those friends), but it's so well-shot and choreographed that it makes for a really fascinating viewing experience over and over again.

You just might get your wish... ;)

I'd actually never considered that before (I always thought "Thinking Of You" was the major missed-single-opportunity on Warrior), but "Supernatural" would've made for a pretty worthy pick too.

JSparksFan wrote:So I checked out "New Rules" and I adore it. The song has so many strengths: a well-defined list, a non-Chainsmokers-sounding EDM-led chorus, a decent video (perhaps "excellent" by 2017's IDGAF standards), and a strong female pop star lead, which I've been lacking in quite a few of my favourite songs this year. Actually, 90 seconds into it, I had to do my 'lil slow wine. :lol:

The rest of your list is also solid. Like I've said elsewhere, "Fetish" is already one of my favourite Selena Gomez songs. "Get Low" is definitely a step up from "Strip That Down". Some of the Ke$ha re-entries are cool, too. I don't think "C'Mon" ever got the love it deserved.

"Whatever It Takes" is my stand-out favourite. It is lyrically the best thing I've heard from them since "Demons". I also like these four:

- I Don't Know Why
- Believer
- Walking the Wire
- Start Over

My major gripe with it is the same as Hugo's: it's not angry enough. I don't know if the lawsuit robbed us of getting to hear her "anger" phase of grief, or maybe some of that will be found on her next LP, but it's like she fast-forwarded straight to "acceptance". I wanted something angrier, and "Praying" just feels so tame. I know I shouldn't be advocating hate over love, but there are rare circumstances where I certainly do, and this is one of them.
:o :oops: Oh, to have seen that...

Your seductive dancing aside, I'm REALLY pleased to see such a glowing review for NR! Had Dua caught your eye at all previously? Admittedly, I didn't REALLY start paying attention to her until "Scared To Be Lonely", then loved "Lost In Your Light", and now really loving this too. The song does hold its own, but the video REALLY elevates it to especially-noteworthy-status. If the video hadn't been my introduction to the song itself, I almost certainly wouldn't have been so instantly smitten with it.

Woah, didn't realize "Fetish" would have such a strong impact on you! I've actually been toward the other end of the spectrum/underwhelmed quite a bit, but your + Jake's + Tansike's enthusiasm has encouraged me to keep coming back to it (as well as the video, which I don't really get, but I was just relieved that she released something other than that version that's focused on her mouth the entire time.) Also - I'm 110% here for the "C'Mon" shout-out! One of my absolute favorite singles of hers, despite being one of her biggest "flops."

On first listen, I might have to download "Whatever It Takes." Is it that "hypocritical"/"egotistical"/"parenthetical"/"hypothetical" rhyme run that really sold you on it? ;) The pre-chorus really has that earworm quality too. I've had a tougher time getting into "Believer", and I think it's something about the...sparse, chant-y chorus. "I Don't Know Why" catches my attention right away, though! Definitely the most "80's" sound I've heard from them, and I kind of love that! If I'd heard it without knowing the artist, I definitely wouldn't have guessed them...

Ah. That makes...perfect sense. There's a huge step/part of the process that's just kind of missing, almost like it's been glossed over...

Fan wrote:I'm still not on board with New Rules. I really like Dua (Hotter Than Hell, Be The One, the Sean Paul collaboration are all massive tunes), but this song just doesn't seem to grow on me. The video's really cool though.

Olly's Oh My Goodness brings back so many memories, I used to be completely obsessed with him :oops:

Into The Blue is a tunee!
Aw :( The video definitely played a HUGE role in selling me on the song, and if the video hadn't been my first introduction to the song itself, I might not be as into it as I am now. Admittedly, Dua wasn't really on my radar until "Scared To Be Lonely" hooked me (I think I checked out the "Blow Your Mind" preview clip once and never came back it), and I definitely liked "Lost In Your Light" more than most (at least around UKMIX.)

YES! I'm really pleasantly surprised to see so many kind words for "C'Mon" here :D I didn't think it was much of a fan-favorite (on top of being an official-chart-under-performer.)

Aw, didn't know you had such a soft spot for Olly! Album-wise, I only own (the US version of) Right Place Right Time, but I know (and enjoy) quite a few of his singles. Does that mean "Oh My Goodness" is one of your top-faves? Could I get your overall Olly Top 5 from you? (Album tracks are fair game too!)

Agreed 8-) Speaking of tunes, I noticed you stanning for "The Loving Kind" elsewhere on UKMIX, which I THOROUGHLY appreciate! It's always struck me as such a sad, yet beautiful and...hypnotizing track. Do you have any strong feelings regarding the album version VS radio/video mix?

Thanks again, Fan! :D
phoenix98
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:00 pm

Paulboard Top 30
Chart Date: 07/28/17

• Despite a very commendable performance with only a couple days' worth of plays, Charli XCX's "Boys" couldn't quite block Lauv from nabbing his first-ever Paulboard No. 1 with "I Like Me Better."

01 (NE) 01 | "I Like Me Better" - Lauv | 1 (1)
02 (NE) 01 | "Boys" - Charli XCX | 2 (1)
03 (01) 02 | "New Rules" - Dua Lipa | 1 (1)
04 (04) 05 | "As If It's Your Last" - BLACKPINK | 1 (1) | [G]
05 (06) 06 | "Do Or Die" - Terror Jr | 1 (1) | [P]
06 (11) 02 | "Fetish" - Selena Gomez ft. Gucci Mane | 6
07 (02) 05 | "Hoodie" - Hey Violet | 2 (1) | [G]
08 (30) 18 | "Into The Blue" - Kylie Minogue | 1 (3) | [3xP]
09 (10) 03 | "Get Low" - Zedd ft. Liam Payne | 9
10 (NE) 01 | "Honest" - The Chainsmokers | 10
11 (RE) 12 | "Getta Banban (Mad-Paced Getter)" - Tomohisa Sako | 7 | [P]
12 (RE) 09 | "3AM (Pull Up)" - Charli XCX ft. MØ | 1 (2) | [P]
13 (16) 03 | "Unpredictable" - Olly Murs ft. Louisa Johnson | 1 (1)
14 (15) 03 | "Praying" - Kesha | 4
15 (03) 02 | "Break A Little" - kirstin | 3
16 (NE) 01 | "Back To You" - Louis Tomlinson ft. Bebe Rexha & Digital Farm Animals | 16
17 (25) 08 | "Body Say" - Demi Lovato | 2 (1) | [G]
18 (07) 03 | "Thunder" - Imagine Dragons | 2 (1)
19 (RE) 03 | "ILY2" - Charli XCX | 4
20 (21) 02 | "All That Matters (The Beautiful Life)" - Ke$ha | 20
21 (17) 02 | "Sorry Not Sorry" - Demi Lovato | 17
22 (RE) 22 | "Feels So Good" - Kylie Minogue | 1 (1) | [3xP]
23 (RE) 08 | "If I Can't Have You" - Kylie Minogue ft. Sam Sparro | 2 (2) | [G]
24 (RE) 14 | "Black And White" - Kylie Minogue ft. Shaggy | 1 (1) | [P]
25 (12) 04 | "Feels" - Calvin Harris ft. Pharrell Williams, Katy Perry, & Big Sean | 5
26 (RE) 05 | "Bigger Than Me" - Katy Perry | 2 (1) | [G]
27 (RE) 06 | "Swish Swish" - Katy Perry ft. Nicki Minaj | 1 (1) | [G]
28 (26) 08 | "Cool For The Summer" - Demi Lovato | 3 | [G]
29 (05) 08 | "울고 싶지 않아 (Don't Wanna Cry)" - SEVENTEEN | 1 (2) | [P]
30 (14) 11 | "C'Mon" - Ke$ha | 2 (1) | [P]

[GOLD] = 25+ total plays
[PLAT] = 50+ total plays
phoenix98
Legend

Postby Fan » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:31 am

phoenix98 wrote:
Fan wrote:I'm still not on board with New Rules. I really like Dua (Hotter Than Hell, Be The One, the Sean Paul collaboration are all massive tunes), but this song just doesn't seem to grow on me. The video's really cool though.

Olly's Oh My Goodness brings back so many memories, I used to be completely obsessed with him :oops:

Into The Blue is a tunee!
Aw :( The video definitely played a HUGE role in selling me on the song, and if the video hadn't been my first introduction to the song itself, I might not be as into it as I am now. Admittedly, Dua wasn't really on my radar until "Scared To Be Lonely" hooked me (I think I checked out the "Blow Your Mind" preview clip once and never came back it), and I definitely liked "Lost In Your Light" more than most (at least around UKMIX.)

YES! I'm really pleasantly surprised to see so many kind words for "C'Mon" here :D I didn't think it was much of a fan-favorite (on top of being an official-chart-under-performer.)

Aw, didn't know you had such a soft spot for Olly! Album-wise, I only own (the US version of) Right Place Right Time, but I know (and enjoy) quite a few of his singles. Does that mean "Oh My Goodness" is one of your top-faves? Could I get your overall Olly Top 5 from you? (Album tracks are fair game too!)

Agreed 8-) Speaking of tunes, I noticed you stanning for "The Loving Kind" elsewhere on UKMIX, which I THOROUGHLY appreciate! It's always struck me as such a sad, yet beautiful and...hypnotizing track. Do you have any strong feelings regarding the album version VS radio/video mix?

Oh, I'm going to do an Olly top 10. A top 5 would be too difficult :lol: But yeah, I fell immediately in love with him as soon as I saw his first audition on X Factor all those years ago and followed him until two years ago I think? Kind of lost him now (and I couldn't really his comment about 'I'm for 30% gay because I have gay friends', pretty ignorant if you ask me), but he has released so many tunes.

01. Dance With Me Tonight
02. I'm OK
03. Busy
04. Thinking Of Me
05. Dear Darlin'
06. This Song Is About You
07. Heart Skips A Beat
08. Anywhere Else
09. I Need You Now
10. Loud & Clear

Oh My Goodness isn't even in my top 10 I just noticed :oops:
What are your favourite Olly tracks?

And YESS @ all the love for The Loving Kind. I always thought the song wasn't very appreciated amongst fans, turns out I was wrong! I don't have a very strong opinion about the album or video mix. You have?
I do have a very strong opinion about the awful radio mix of Untouchable though :lol:

And nice to see Boys smashing in your new update- it's my anthem at the moment. Although I barely heard the song when I watched the video for the first time. Was too distracted.
Fan
Legend

Postby Tansike » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:11 pm

phoenix98 wrote:Aw. Maybe you're just your own worst critic? Surely your partner could give you some lessons...

I know your pain, though :lol: Singing is one of those natural talents that I'd REALLY love to have, but just...don't. I can't carry a tune at all. :oops:
Haha no i don't think i am. Plus my partner never heard me sing so far. I ALWAYS sing (and also used to do it around my ex), however since my partner is a professional singer, i'm somehow way too nervous to do it around him (so far, at least) :oops: Maybe also because i love to do it so much, and i don't want to hear that i'm really bad :lol:

Yeah, same. Though everyone could learn it, at least that's what i got told. But it would be 'cooler' to have the talent instead of being able to sing due to learning it.

phoenix98 wrote: :o Wait...what? This is news to me! So she disowned Stars Dance? I've never heard the full album, but "Come & Get It" actually seemed like a really fitting start to her "solo" career, since it sounded unlike anything she'd put out with The Scene.
Really? :o Yeah, she really doesn't count SD. Probably also has to do with the thing that this release was still under Hollywood Records, while "Revival" was her first release with the new record company, so she was 'free'. The album is definitely really good, though probably her second weakest (only above "Kiss & Tell", which i still prefer due to the nostalgia).

phoenix98 wrote: :o Zara too? I had no idea! Back to Camila - I definitely wasn't expecting a "Despacito"-sized hit or anything, but I did expect better than No. 47, since I thought there was more buzz around her after "Bad Things."
Yes :lol: Though she has 'many' haters. Hm maybe she'll get a bigger hit with one of those many upcoming songs she will release soon?

phoenix98 wrote:Yeah, sadly, they took a really disjointed path following that massive opportunity. It seems like they kept pushing "Million Reasons" at radio here in the US (which kind of made sense)...but then abruptly dropped the "John Wayne" video without really making it a single in any other way (not sent to radio, no digital single)...and then dropped "The Cure" not long after, which didn't even get a video! :x
Oh yeah, already forgot the "John Wayne" 'release' for a short moment. That already made no sense somehow. Anyways, she just started the tour and the setlist looks amazing. Maybe she will release some kind of a tour edition of the album, as "The Cure" is on the setlist as well. (and i'm still hoping for that "Dancin In Circles" single release!)

phoenix98 wrote:VERY glad to hear that you got around to watching it (and loved it too!) I'm always especially impressed when (seemingly) low-budget clips end up being as engaging as "New Rules." The premise is pretty simple (getting ready to go out with her girls, who are keeping her from calling her man, and then she ends up in the role of one of those friends), but it's so well-shot and choreographed that it makes for a really fascinating viewing experience over and over again.

You just might get your wish... ;)

I'd actually never considered that before (I always thought "Thinking Of You" was the major missed-single-opportunity on Warrior), but "Supernatural" would've made for a pretty worthy pick too.

Yes! The video is definitely in a tight battle with "Bad Liar" as the video of the year so far for me. Just watched it again a few minutes ago and i love it so much! Happens rarely with videos these days.

8-)

Well it also always depends on the own faves, as everyone will pick their faves as the 'obvious single that never happened' :oops: Anyways, to be fair, there would have been a few more tracks which deserved some more attention.

Wow, what a big debut for Charli XCX's new single! :o
As someone born in the early 90s i love that Mario sound, but the song overall is just 'good' or 'slightly better than okay' to me. But then she already smashed with that "Number 1" EP on your charts so it was probably expected for her to get a hit with the follow-up?

Glad Dua Lipa is holding on so well, and i'm obviously very happy to see Selena scoring another Top10. What are your thoughts about the video?

Nice entry for "Back To You". Kinda funny to see Demi's "Body Say" being above "Sorry Not Sorry" this week, though it's definitely the better of the two.

Great charts as usual 8-)
Tansike
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:55 pm

Fan wrote:Oh, I'm going to do an Olly top 10. A top 5 would be too difficult :lol: But yeah, I fell immediately in love with him as soon as I saw his first audition on X Factor all those years ago and followed him until two years ago I think? Kind of lost him now (and I couldn't really his comment about 'I'm for 30% gay because I have gay friends', pretty ignorant if you ask me), but he has released so many tunes.

01. Dance With Me Tonight
02. I'm OK
03. Busy
04. Thinking Of Me
05. Dear Darlin'
06. This Song Is About You
07. Heart Skips A Beat
08. Anywhere Else
09. I Need You Now
10. Loud & Clear

Oh My Goodness isn't even in my top 10 I just noticed :oops:
What are your favourite Olly tracks?

And YESS @ all the love for The Loving Kind. I always thought the song wasn't very appreciated amongst fans, turns out I was wrong! I don't have a very strong opinion about the album or video mix. You have? I do have a very strong opinion about the awful radio mix of Untouchable though :lol:

And nice to see Boys smashing in your new update- it's my anthem at the moment. Although I barely heard the song when I watched the video for the first time. Was too distracted.
Ha, it's a pretty strong endorsement for his catalog when you can't even possibly narrow it down to just five options ;) This is my first time checking out "Busy", and it sounds SUPER cute-n-catchy, so I can't understand why it flopped! I'm a bit surprised to see so many album tracks make your list, since he has so many THOROUGHLY-enjoyable singles (enough for their own Top 10, really.) Speaking of, my Top 5 would be strictly singles:

1.) "Dance With Me Tonight"
2.) "Oh My Goodness"
3.) "Right Place Right Time"
4.) "Up"
5.) "Wrapped Up" VS "Dear Darlin'" (AKA I can't commit to just a Top 5 either...) :lol:

Like I was saying before, that's partially just because I only own Right Place Right Time in full, which does have some cute hidden gems ("What A Buzz", "Hey You Beautiful", "Cry Your Heart Out") but nothing Top 5 (or even Top 10) worthy for me. So when you say "until two years ago", does that mean you've passed on the 24HRS era?

Nah, I like both. I mean, I'll always have a soft spot for the original, since that's the version I fell in love with first, but I don't think the video mix ruins any of the song's main charms.

Seems like I was just gushing about "New Rules", and now I've already found another video that's blown me away with "Boys" :lol: It's really brilliant, and I love the variety of guys (and random activities) that she included. It doesn't feel like diversity for diversity's sake ("well, we've gotta have a token this and token that...."), but instead a true celebration of boys' many different charms <3 Puts me in such a dreamy state. **Sigh**

Tansike wrote:Haha no i don't think i am. Plus my partner never heard me sing so far. I ALWAYS sing (and also used to do it around my ex), however since my partner is a professional singer, i'm somehow way too nervous to do it around him (so far, at least) :oops: Maybe also because i love to do it so much, and i don't want to hear that i'm really bad :lol:

Yeah, same. Though everyone could learn it, at least that's what i got told. But it would be 'cooler' to have the talent instead of being able to sing due to learning it.
Aw. I still don't want to discourage you from giving it a try, but I can understand how it's ESPECIALLY intimidating in the presence of a true professional.

Yeah, I've heard that too, and while I can believe that lessons would help me sound better than I do without ever taking any...no amount of lessons will have me sounding like Bruno Mars. :lol:

Tansike wrote:Really? :o Yeah, she really doesn't count SD. Probably also has to do with the thing that this release was still under Hollywood Records, while "Revival" was her first release with the new record company, so she was 'free'. The album is definitely really good, though probably her second weakest (only above "Kiss & Tell", which i still prefer due to the nostalgia).
**Sigh** I think we've talked about this at least briefly before, but I don't like when artists openly-disowning previous albums/eras (unless it was something truly horrific like Kesha's situation.) It's one thing to be like "Yeah, there was a lot of label influence" or "I've grown out of that sound", but when artists really trash their earlier work or try to completely sweep old albums under the rug I think it hurts the fans who fell in love with them because of those albums. It's like, are we supposed to feel bad for loving those albums because the artist we love didn't enjoy making them...?

Any rate - I'm glad to hear that I'm not missing out on much by having never bought Stars Dance :lol: Does it have any noteworthy moments besides the singles?

Tansike wrote:Yes :lol: Though she has 'many' haters. Hm maybe she'll get a bigger hit with one of those many upcoming songs she will release soon?
Damn, she's certainly doing her best to get her name out there, at least! First with all of those guest roles ("I Know What You Did Last Summer", "Bad Things", "Love Incredible", "Hey Ma", "Know No Better") and now all of these preview/promo singles of her own too ("Crying In The Club", "I Have Questions", "Havana", "OMG", and isn't there another one on the way too?) Of the two most recent ones, I definitely prefer "Havana" to "OMG" (but none of them compare to the best of 5H.)

Tansike wrote:Oh yeah, already forgot the "John Wayne" 'release' for a short moment. That already made no sense somehow. Anyways, she just started the tour and the setlist looks amazing. Maybe she will release some kind of a tour edition of the album, as "The Cure" is on the setlist as well. (and i'm still hoping for that "Dancin In Circles" single release!)
Yeah, if "The Cure" isn't leading into another brand-new album, it'd be nice to see them do at least SOMETHING else with Joanne.

Tansike wrote:Well it also always depends on the own faves, as everyone will pick their faves as the 'obvious single that never happened' :oops: Anyways, to be fair, there would have been a few more tracks which deserved some more attention.
On Warrior? I'd love to hear more about your faves from that album!

Tansike wrote:Wow, what a big debut for Charli XCX's new single! :o
As someone born in the early 90s i love that Mario sound, but the song overall is just 'good' or 'slightly better than okay' to me. But then she already smashed with that "Number 1" EP on your charts so it was probably expected for her to get a hit with the follow-up?

Glad Dua Lipa is holding on so well, and i'm obviously very happy to see Selena scoring another Top10. What are your thoughts about the video?

Kinda funny to see Demi's "Body Say" being above "Sorry Not Sorry" this week, though it's definitely the better of the two.
With "Boys", it definitely helped that the video was my introduction to the song itself, so the two are forever connected in my mind. Like I was just saying to Fan above, I really love the variety of guys (and random activities) that she included. It doesn't feel like diversity for diversity's sake ("well, we've gotta have at least one token this and token that...."), but instead a true celebration of boys' many different charms <3 There's plenty to appreciate about the Cameron Dallas types, of course, but there's way more to male sex appeal than just six-packs, and the video highlights all of that really beautifully.

I touched on the video a bit over in your thread, and I still haven't re-watched it...but if you come across any expert analyses, I'd be very interested to read them and gain some insight! :lol:

Agreed. 200%. "Body Say" is up there with my absolute-favorite Demi offerings, whereas SNS is toward the absolute bottom (not counting the Camp Rock stuff that I've never heard...)

phoenix98
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:00 pm

Paulboard Top 30
Chart Date: 08/04/17

• With a full weeks' worth of plays, Charli XCX's homage to hombres lifts from No. 2 ---> No. 1 to become her second-ever Paulboard chart-topper (following "3AM (Pull Up)" earlier this year.)

01 (02) 02 | "Boys" - Charli XCX | 1 (1) | [G]
02 (NE) 01 | "뉴튼 (Newton)" - MONSTA X | 2 (1)
03 (01) 02 | "I Like Me Better" - Lauv | 1 (1) | [G]
04 (03) 03 | "New Rules" - Dua Lipa | 1 (1) | [G]
05 (NE) 01 | "Sober" - Cheat Codes ft. Nicky Romero | 5
06 (NE) 01 | "Plot Twist" - Marc E. Bassy ft. KYLE | 6
07 (05) 07 | "Do Or Die" - Terror Jr | 1 (1) | [P]
08 (NE) 01 | "Your Song" - Rita Ora | 8
09 (04) 06 | "As If It's Your Last" - BLACKPINK | 1 (1) | [G]
10 (RE) 02 | "So Good" - Zara Larsson ft. Ty Dolla $ign | 10
11 (RE) 06 | "I Would Like" - Zara Larsson | 4 | [G]
12 (15) 03 | "Break A Little" - kirstin | 3
13 (RE) 06 | "Lost In Your Light" - Miguel ft. Dua Lipa | 3 | [G]
14 (06) 03 | "Fetish" - Selena Gomez ft. Gucci Mane | 6
15 (RE) 10 | "I Will Never Let You Down" - Rita Ora | 3 | [P]
16 (RE) 04 | "Be The One" - Dua Lipa | 13
17 (19) 04 | "ILY2" - Charli XCX | 4 | [G]
18 (16) 02 | "Back To You" - Louis Tomlinson ft. Bebe Rexha & Digital Farm Animals | 16
19 (09) 04 | "Get Low" - Zedd ft. Liam Payne | 9
20 (NE) 01 | "Would You Mind" - PRETTYMUCH | 20
21 (23) 09 | "If I Can't Have You" - Kylie Minogue ft. Sam Sparro | 2 (2) | [G]
22 (RE) 08 | "Lush Life" - Zara Larsson | 4 | [G]
23 (27) 07 | "Swish Swish" - Katy Perry ft. Nicki Minaj | 1 (1) | [G]
24 (26) 06 | "Bigger Than Me" - Katy Perry | 2 (1) | [G]
25 (RE) 07 | "There's Nothing Holdin' Me Back" - Shawn Mendes | 8 | [G]
26 (RE) 05 | "Slow Hands" - Niall Horan | 6 | [G]
27 (RE) 03 | "Attention" - Charlie Puth | 9 | [G]
28 (NE) 01 | "Cry Your Heart Out" - Olly Murs | 28
29 (13) 04 | "Unpredictable" - Olly Murs ft. Louisa Johnson | 1 (1)
30 (12) 10 | "3AM (Pull Up)" - Charli XCX ft. MØ | 1 (2) | [P]

[GOLD] = 25+ total plays
[PLAT] = 50+ total plays
phoenix98
Legend

Postby Fan » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:25 pm

[quote="phoenix98]Ha, it's a pretty strong endorsement for his catalog when you can't even possibly narrow it down to just five options ;) This is my first time checking out "Busy", and it sounds SUPER cute-n-catchy, so I can't understand why it flopped! I'm a bit surprised to see so many album tracks make your list, since he has so many THOROUGHLY-enjoyable singles (enough for their own Top 10, really.) Speaking of, my Top 5 would be strictly singles:

1.) "Dance With Me Tonight"
2.) "Oh My Goodness"
3.) "Right Place Right Time"
4.) "Up"
5.) "Wrapped Up" VS "Dear Darlin'" (AKA I can't commit to just a Top 5 either...) :lol:

Like I was saying before, that's partially just because I only own Right Place Right Time in full, which does have some cute hidden gems ("What A Buzz", "Hey You Beautiful", "Cry Your Heart Out") but nothing Top 5 (or even Top 10) worthy for me. So when you say "until two years ago", does that mean you've passed on the 24HRS era?

Nah, I like both. I mean, I'll always have a soft spot for the original, since that's the version I fell in love with first, but I don't think the video mix ruins any of the song's main charms.

Seems like I was just gushing about "New Rules", and now I've already found another video that's blown me away with "Boys" :lol: It's really brilliant, and I love the variety of guys (and random activities) that she included. It doesn't feel like diversity for diversity's sake ("well, we've gotta have a token this and token that...."), but instead a true celebration of boys' many different charms <3 Puts me in such a dreamy state. **Sigh**

Thanks again, Fan! :D[/quote]

I have still so much love for Busy, it's indeed the cutest track. Makes me want to have a nice boyfriend and snuggle in bed all weekend :lol:
And I totally agree that he has a lot of great singles, but his first few albums are just as strong in general. I like that we share the same #1, btw!
You should check out his In Case You Didn't Know album, his best body of work for me and yes, I've totally ignored his 24HRS-era :oops:

And you are soo right about the Charli video. I LOVE how it shows so many different boys, in all kinds of colours, shapes etc.

Nice to see Your Song entering this week. I actually used to hate it, but it has grown on me loads and I'm kinda obsessed at the moment. Cannot stop playing and singing it. I Will Never Let You Down is also still a tune though.
Fan
Legend

Postby Tansike » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:54 am

phoenix98 wrote:Aw. I still don't want to discourage you from giving it a try, but I can understand how it's ESPECIALLY intimidating in the presence of a true professional.

Yeah, I've heard that too, and while I can believe that lessons would help me sound better than I do without ever taking any...no amount of lessons will have me sounding like Bruno Mars. :lol:
Yeah. Well, maybe one day I’ll do it, especially when he’s next to me in my car, as I’m so used to do it while driving…

Would you want to sound like Bruno Mars though? :)

phoenix98 wrote:**Sigh** I think we've talked about this at least briefly before, but I don't like when artists openly-disowning previous albums/eras (unless it was something truly horrific like Kesha's situation.) It's one thing to be like "Yeah, there was a lot of label influence" or "I've grown out of that sound", but when artists really trash their earlier work or try to completely sweep old albums under the rug I think it hurts the fans who fell in love with them because of those albums. It's like, are we supposed to feel bad for loving those albums because the artist we love didn't enjoy making them...?

Any rate - I'm glad to hear that I'm not missing out on much by having never bought Stars Dance :lol: Does it have any noteworthy moments besides the singles?
Oh now that you mention it, yeah, I think we’ve talked about that, because I remember talking about something like that it’s sad for the fans when artists disown some of their albums/eras, especially when it’s a favorite record for a fan or so. As you say…

Don’t get me wrong, it’s far from being weak, it’s still a very good one actually. The title track is definitely one of her best works ever IMO.

phoenix98 wrote:Damn, she's certainly doing her best to get her name out there, at least! First with all of those guest roles ("I Know What You Did Last Summer", "Bad Things", "Love Incredible", "Hey Ma", "Know No Better") and now all of these preview/promo singles of her own too ("Crying In The Club", "I Have Questions", "Havana", "OMG", and isn't there another one on the way too?) Of the two most recent ones, I definitely prefer "Havana" to "OMG" (but none of them compare to the best of 5H.)
Yes, I’ve also read about another track, but maybe they kinda scrappet its release. I mean, otherwise it would be too much, wouldn’t it? As for the new ones, i slightly prefer “OMG” over “Havana”, but both aren’t that impressive, so I kinda share these thoughts with you… :oops:

phoenix98 wrote:Yeah, if "The Cure" isn't leading into another brand-new album, it'd be nice to see them do at least SOMETHING else with Joanne.
Let’s hope so…

phoenix98 wrote:On Warrior? I'd love to hear more about your faves from that album!
The title track, “Thinking Of You”, “Dirty Love”, “All That Matters” and “Love Into The Light” are all above average IMO.

phoenix98 wrote:With "Boys", it definitely helped that the video was my introduction to the song itself, so the two are forever connected in my mind. Like I was just saying to Fan above, I really love the variety of guys (and random activities) that she included. It doesn't feel like diversity for diversity's sake ("well, we've gotta have at least one token this and token that...."), but instead a true celebration of boys' many different charms <3 There's plenty to appreciate about the Cameron Dallas types, of course, but there's way more to male sex appeal than just six-packs, and the video highlights all of that really beautifully.

I touched on the video a bit over in your thread, and I still haven't re-watched it...but if you come across any expert analyses, I'd be very interested to read them and gain some insight! :lol:

Agreed. 200%. "Body Say" is up there with my absolute-favorite Demi offerings, whereas SNS is toward the absolute bottom (not counting the Camp Rock stuff that I've never heard...)

True. It was smart from her to release the song alongside its video. Maybe it’s weird to say this as a gay person, but somehow I still don’t think the video is sexy or so, like many other people say over here on UKMix. There are definitely a very few eye candys though. But still, the vid is still kinda cool and well done.

Ah no expert analysis from myself. It’s just a weird but still good video to me :lol:

Oh wow at it being one of your absolute favorite. While I definitely prefer “Body Say” over “Sorry Not Sorry”, it’s still nowhere near to my faves from her.

Wow, Charli is really smashing. Already Gold, not bad. Will be interesting to see how the song will do on the official charts. I think it has a chance of becoming her biggest hit since “Break The Rules” or so.

Love Rita Ora’s debut! Glad you started to like “Your Song” so much, it’s such a nice pop song with such a positive feeling around it. Also love her re-entry for “I Will Never Let You Down”, which remains my favorite release from Rita so far :D

My favorite parts this week have to be the entries for Zara Larsson. Have you re-discovered her singles, or how did she get so many entries this week? Unfortunately, while it’s still a very good song, I’d count “So Good” to my least favorite songs from her. This also kinda ‘destroyed’ her flawless single releases from her album, and also became her first flop… :(
However, “Lush Life” is pop at its best and “I Would Like” was a massive grower for me.
Tansike
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:50 pm

Fan wrote:I have still so much love for Busy, it's indeed the cutest track. Makes me want to have a nice boyfriend and snuggle in bed all weekend :lol:
And I totally agree that he has a lot of great singles, but his first few albums are just as strong in general. I like that we share the same #1, btw!
You should check out his In Case You Didn't Know album, his best body of work for me and yes, I've totally ignored his 24HRS-era :oops:

And you are soo right about the Charli video. I LOVE how it shows so many different boys, in all kinds of colours, shapes etc.

Nice to see Your Song entering this week. I actually used to hate it, but it has grown on me loads and I'm kinda obsessed at the moment. Cannot stop playing and singing it. I Will Never Let You Down is also still a tune though.
**Sigh** Snuggles are the best. I'm such a cuddlebug, and SO many of the guys featured in "Boys" would look oh-so-good curled up in bed wearing nothing but PJ pants (or less...?) Speaking of, and I hope you can forgive my ignorance , but who's the guy in your avatar? The scene with the bear "whispering" to him was beyond adorable, but I don't recognize him :oops: Blame it on the shades (maybe...)

Back to Olly, I've read that Right Place Right Time was pretty similar (perhaps even too much so) to In Case You Didn't Know, so you're probably quite right that I'd like that one too! Does that mean you haven't even bothered with the 24HRS singles? I guess I shouldn't be too surprised, since I've never checked out "Grow Up" or "Years & Years" either, after being pretty unimpressed by "You Don't Know Love." If it wasn't for "Unpredictable" denting JakeP's chart, I probably never would've bothered with that one either. :lol:

YES! I never quite went as far as "hate", but I was definitely underwhelmed by "Your Song" at first. Watching it climb the UK + Australian charts week after week kept it on my mind, and lately the positive energy of the song just finally clicked with me. I'm actually really feeling it now. It's genuinely uplifting. <3

Tansike wrote:Yeah. Well, maybe one day I’ll do it, especially when he’s next to me in my car, as I’m so used to do it while driving…

Would you want to sound like Bruno Mars though? :)
Ah, so he just needs to be next to you when a song comes on that's SO good you simply can't resist singing along...

Woah - am I detecting some Bruno shade? Absolutely, I would! (Then I could serenade you with "Versace On The Floor", obv.)

Tansike wrote:Don’t get me wrong, it’s far from being weak, it’s still a very good one actually. The title track is definitely one of her best works ever IMO.
Ooh....now that I'm checking it out for the first time, the title track really is something interesting! That orchestral background brings Lindsey Stirling to mind.

Tansike wrote:Yes, I’ve also read about another track, but maybe they kinda scrappet its release. I mean, otherwise it would be too much, wouldn’t it? As for the new ones, i slightly prefer “OMG” over “Havana”, but both aren’t that impressive, so I kinda share these thoughts with you… :oops:
I guess they realized that three flops leading into her album release is plenty - no need to up it to four (yet) :lol: Although I don't have anything against her, I'm not really feeling any of the stuff she's putting out on her own, so I'm not too disappointed with how it's all playing out for her. Meanwhile, "Angel" >>>>>>

Tansike wrote:The title track, “Thinking Of You”, “Dirty Love”, “All That Matters” and “Love Into The Light” are all above average IMO.
Definitely relieved to see you include "Thinking Of You" <3 I agree with most of those, actually - though I'd take "Love Into The Light" off the list and add "Only Wanna Dance With You" + "Last Goodbye" instead. Maybe "Gold Trans Am" too...

Tansike wrote:True. It was smart from her to release the song alongside its video. Maybe it’s weird to say this as a gay person, but somehow I still don’t think the video is sexy or so, like many other people say over here on UKMix. There are definitely a very few eye candys though. But still, the vid is still kinda cool and well done.
Hmmm...I kind of hear you. A lot of the scenes aren't necessarily sexy (though Charlie washing a car does all kinds of things to me), but they capture the playfulness, dorkiness, adorableness, and other charming qualities that bring to mind why I'm ever-so-attracted to males. <3

Tansike wrote:Oh wow at it being one of your absolute favorite. While I definitely prefer “Body Say” over “Sorry Not Sorry”, it’s still nowhere near to my faves from her.
I guess your body says "no" to "Body Say." :cry:

Tansike wrote:Wow, Charli is really smashing. Already Gold, not bad. Will be interesting to see how the song will do on the official charts. I think it has a chance of becoming her biggest hit since “Break The Rules” or so.

Love Rita Ora’s debut! Glad you started to like “Your Song” so much, it’s such a nice pop song with such a positive feeling around it. Also love her re-entry for “I Will Never Let You Down”, which remains my favorite release from Rita so far :D

My favorite parts this week have to be the entries for Zara Larsson. Have you re-discovered her singles, or how did she get so many entries this week? Unfortunately, while it’s still a very good song, I’d count “So Good” to my least favorite songs from her. This also kinda ‘destroyed’ her flawless single releases from her album, and also became her first flop… :( However, “Lush Life” is pop at its best and “I Would Like” was a massive grower for me.
**Fingers crossed** Well, at least in the US, it just has to manage higher than No. 91 to out-perform "Break The Rules." :lol:

Yeah, like I was saying to Fan above, I was really underwhelmed by "Your Song" at first...but watching it climb the UK + Australian charts week after week kept it on my mind, and the positive energy of the song finally truly clicked with me lately. It's genuinely uplifting.

Ha, well, I was in a fresh-females-of-pop mood that week (Dua, Zara, Rita, Charli.) Yeah, "So Good" never really hooked me either (this was only its second-ever-week on my chart), but I'm surprised that it did as poorly as it did on official charts, especially in places like the UK, where she was coming off great success with "I Would Like." I guess "Symphony" might deserve a bit of the blame for over-shadowing it (though I think many would argue rightfully so...)

phoenix98
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:00 pm

Paulboard Top 30
Chart Date: 08/11/17

• In the absence of any noteworthy new releases/discoveries, Lauv manages to rebound to No. 1 with "I Like Me Better."

01 (03) 03 | "I Like Me Better" - Lauv | 1 (2) | [G]
02 (08) 02 | "Your Song" - Rita Ora | 2 (1)
03 (06) 02 | "Plot Twist" - Marc E. Bassy ft. KYLE | 3
04 (01) 03 | "Boys" - Charli XCX | 1 (1) | [G]
05 (04) 04 | "New Rules" - Dua Lipa | 1 (1) | [G]
06 (02) 02 | "뉴튼 (Newton)" - MONSTA X | 2 (1)
07 (07) 08 | "Do Or Die" - Terror Jr | 1 (1) | [P]
08 (RE) 03 | "The Loving Kind" - Girls Aloud | 8 | [G]
09 (09) 07 | "As If It's Your Last" - BLACKPINK | 1 (1) | [P]
10 (NE) 01 | "Clap Your Hands" - Le Youth ft. Ava Max | 10
11 (RE) 11 | "Stay" - Zedd ft. Alessia Cara | 2 (2) | [P]
12 (RE) 04 | "Down" - Fifth Harmony ft. Gucci Mane | 2 (1) | [G]
13 (NE) 01 | "Havana" - Camila Cabello ft. Young Thug | 13
14 (NE) 01 | "Brand New Eyes" - Bea Miller | 14
15 (27) 04 | "Attention" - Charlie Puth | 9 | [G]
16 (NE) 01 | "Bad At Love" - Halsey | 16
17 (25) 08 | "There's Nothing Holdin' Me Back" - Shawn Mendes | 8 | [G]
18 (26) 06 | "Slow Hands" - Niall Horan | 6 | [G]
19 (11) 07 | "I Would Like" - Zara Larsson | 4 | [G]
20 (12) 04 | "Break A Little" - kirstin | 3
21 (RE) 03 | "Sorry Not Sorry" - Demi Lovato | 17
22 (14) 04 | "Fetish" - Selena Gomez ft. Gucci Mane | 6
23 (RE) 07 | "Now Or Never" - Halsey | 13 | [G]
24 (RE) 05 | "Feels" - Calvin Harris ft. Pharrell Williams, Katy Perry, & Big Sean | 5
25 (RE) 05 | "C U Next Tuesday" - Ke$ha | 17 | [G]
26 (RE) 03 | "Dancing With Tears In My Eyes" - Ke$ha | 17 | [G]
27 (14) 07 | "Bigger Than Me" - Katy Perry | 2 (1) | [G]
28 (13) 07 | "Lost In Your Light" - Dua Lipa ft. Miguel | 3 | [P]
29 (15) 11 | "I Will Never Let You Down" - Rita Ora | 3 | [P]
30 (RE) 09 | "Versace On The Floor" - Bruno Mars | 1 (1) | [P]

[GOLD] = 25+ total plays
[PLAT] = 50+ total plays
phoenix98
Legend

Postby JakeP » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:35 pm

Hi Paul :D

I finally got round to checking this out on YouTube...and look what i found. :P

The music video was uploaded three days ago. :wink: It's also new to my chart this week and could become one to watch in the coming weeks. :D

Has this been a slow burner or have you only got round to hearing Your song in the last couple of weeks? Black widow remains the most successful Rita Ora related single in my chart (it got to #5), even though Doin' it peaked at #4.

I was discussing this video with Tansike and i love the idea of showing all these male artists in a playful way. It's quite a refreshing change to how males are usually portrayed in videos.

So this might be #1 next week in the UK. I'm incredibly amazed at how successful this track has become. If only Scared to be lonely could've had similar success in the UK earlier this year.

I'm so happy to see this higher than OMG. In fact it says everything that OMG didn't even dent your top 30. Havana is by far the better track imo. I'm surprised that Camila has been getting so much exposure since the latter end of 2016. To me, i don't think Camila is destined to ever have a big hit of her own away from Fifth Harmony. Maybe i will be proved wrong eventually.

24 (RE) 05 | "Feels" - Calvin Harris ft. Pharrell Williams, Katy Perry, & Big Sean | 5

UK #1 :D :o :P :wink: 8-) Amazing result, i don't care that its #1 on a technicality, its the best UK #1 since Symphony.

Best of the rest:

19 (11) 07 | "I Would Like" - Zara Larsson | 4 | [G]
JakeP
Superstar

Postby JSparksFan » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:52 pm

Your #1 is a bit...tame for me, but I certainly appreciate and endorse its message! The best people bring out the best in you.

Curious re-entry for "The Loving Kind," but it's beautiful! I certainly prefer "Havana" to "OMG," but I find it so hilarious how little I care(d) for Fifth Harmony, and how much I'm enjoying Camila as a solo act.

09 (09) 07 | "As If It's Your Last" - BLACKPINK | 1 (1) | [P]
10 (NE) 01 | "Clap Your Hands" - Le Youth ft. Ava Max | 10
16 (NE) 01 | "Bad At Love" - Halsey | 16
23 (RE) 07 | "Now Or Never" - Halsey | 13 | [G]
28 (13) 07 | "Lost In Your Light" - Dua Lipa ft. Miguel | 3 | [P]

phoenix98 wrote:Your seductive dancing aside, I'm REALLY pleased to see such a glowing review for NR! Had Dua caught your eye at all previously? Admittedly, I didn't REALLY start paying attention to her until "Scared To Be Lonely", then loved "Lost In Your Light", and now really loving this too. The song does hold its own, but the video REALLY elevates it to especially-noteworthy-status. If the video hadn't been my introduction to the song itself, I almost certainly wouldn't have been so instantly smitten with it.
"Scared to Be Lonely" was my introduction to Dua Lipa, but I just thought she was another featured act on a DJ's song whose name I'd forget by year-end. "New Rules" was a brilliant way to be introduced to her as a solo act. Admittedly, I'm not too crazy about the video. It's nice, and definitely better than the average video we get these days, but nothing I think I'll be revisiting anytime soon.

phoenix98 wrote:Woah, didn't realize "Fetish" would have such a strong impact on you! I've actually been toward the other end of the spectrum/underwhelmed quite a bit, but your + Jake's + Tansike's enthusiasm has encouraged me to keep coming back to it (as well as the video, which I don't really get, but I was just relieved that she released something other than that version that's focused on her mouth the entire time.) Also - I'm 110% here for the "C'Mon" shout-out! One of my absolute favorite singles of hers, despite being one of her biggest "flops."
I actually haven't seen the "Fetish" video yet. I've been really slow with watching videos this year.

phoenix98 wrote:On first listen, I might have to download "Whatever It Takes." Is it that "hypocritical"/"egotistical"/"parenthetical"/"hypothetical" rhyme run that really sold you on it? ;) The pre-chorus really has that earworm quality too. I've had a tougher time getting into "Believer", and I think it's something about the...sparse, chant-y chorus. "I Don't Know Why" catches my attention right away, though! Definitely the most "80's" sound I've heard from them, and I kind of love that! If I'd heard it without knowing the artist, I definitely wouldn't have guessed them...
I know it's nothing particularly brilliant, but my favourite lyric is shortly after the bit you highlighted:

I'm an apostrophe
I'm just a symbol to remind you that there's more to see
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Fan » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:17 am

phoenix98 wrote:
Fan wrote:I have still so much love for Busy, it's indeed the cutest track. Makes me want to have a nice boyfriend and snuggle in bed all weekend :lol:

**Sigh** Snuggles are the best. I'm such a cuddlebug, and SO many of the guys featured in "Boys" would look oh-so-good curled up in bed wearing nothing but PJ pants (or less...?) Speaking of, and I hope you can forgive my ignorance , but who's the guy in your avatar? The scene with the bear "whispering" to him was beyond adorable, but I don't recognize him :oops: Blame it on the shades (maybe...)

Back to Olly, I've read that Right Place Right Time was pretty similar (perhaps even too much so) to In Case You Didn't Know, so you're probably quite right that I'd like that one too! Does that mean you haven't even bothered with the 24HRS singles? I guess I shouldn't be too surprised, since I've never checked out "Grow Up" or "Years & Years" either, after being pretty unimpressed by "You Don't Know Love." If it wasn't for "Unpredictable" denting JakeP's chart, I probably never would've bothered with that one either. :lol:

YES! I never quite went as far as "hate", but I was definitely underwhelmed by "Your Song" at first. Watching it climb the UK + Australian charts week after week kept it on my mind, and lately the positive energy of the song just finally clicked with me. I'm actually really feeling it now. It's genuinely uplifting. <3

OH YES!! I would definitely love to cuddle with quite a few of the boys who are featured in the video :P And with PJ pants (or less, like you said) would be the perfect look, haha.
And don't worry- he is the British actor Riz Ahmed, who is featured in The Nightcrawler and the latest Star Wars movie.

And I haven't indeed, no :o Never bothered to check them out and his is not very well known over here, so radio stations don't play him! I think ICYDK and RPRT are pretty similar, but ICYDK has stronger material (in my opinion).

It is!! So uplifting, I just can't stop playing and singing it at the moment (and randomly the "I'm in love part, when I'm not even in love).

I should check your new number, as I've never heard of the artist or the song before. YESS for The Loving Kind. We have already discussed our love for it before, so I'm not going to comment any further :lol: Just pure pop perfection!
C U Next Tuesday and Dancing With Tears In My Eyes are both tunes! Do you like her new record?

Not liking that Havana track though!
Fan
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:50 pm

JakeP wrote:Hi Paul :D
Hi Jake :D

JakeP wrote:I finally got round to checking this out on YouTube...and look what i found. :P

The music video was uploaded three days ago. :wink: It's also new to my chart this week and could become one to watch in the coming weeks. :D
:lol: Definitely embarrassed that I didn't even notice the official video for my own multi-week-No. 1 when I was looking for a video to embed here :lol: HUGE thanks for bringing that to my attention! When I first saw the video still in your post, I was like "Is Lauv just a side-project for Drew from The Chainsmokers? Or did he feature Drew in his video for some reason...?" They look QUITE alike in that particular shot (not so much throughout the full video, which is ADORABLE!)

JakeP wrote:Has this been a slow burner or have you only got round to hearing Your song in the last couple of weeks? Black widow remains the most successful Rita Ora related single in my chart (it got to #5), even though Doin' it peaked at #4.
Slow burner, for sure! I downloaded it when it first dropped back in May, but I just wasn't inspired to revisit it much. Watching it perform well on the UK + Australian charts week after week kept it on my mind, though, and after revisiting it a couple of weeks ago, I finally started to really feel the positive energy of the song. It's genuinely uplifting!

JakeP wrote:I was discussing this video with Tansike and i love the idea of showing all these male artists in a playful way. It's quite a refreshing change to how males are usually portrayed in videos.
Charli did brilliantly here! Getting all of those cameos is impressive enough, but she really managed to capture the many charms of many different types of "boys." I'm all for the fit, shirtless Cameron Dallas types, of course - but there's SO much more to male attractiveness than just six packs, and I think Charli highlights that beautifully. Puts me in a totally dreamy state. <3

JakeP wrote:So this might be #1 next week in the UK. I'm incredibly amazed at how successful this track has become. If only Scared to be lonely could've had similar success in the UK earlier this year.
:o You knew all along! I wouldn't usually encourage someone to get into gambling, but...

JakeP wrote:I'm so happy to see this higher than OMG. In fact it says everything that OMG didn't even dent your top 30. Havana is by far the better track imo. I'm surprised that Camila has been getting so much exposure since the latter end of 2016. To me, i don't think Camila is destined to ever have a big hit of her own away from Fifth Harmony. Maybe i will be proved wrong eventually.
Yeah - although I've yet to really LOVE any of Camila's solo singles (as the lead act), "OMG" is easily the worst of the bunch. :oops:

JakeP wrote:UK #1 :D :o :P :wink: 8-) Amazing result, i don't care that its #1 on a technicality, its the best UK #1 since Symphony.
Just like the "I Like Me Better" vid, I totally owe you for bringing this to my attention! I honestly had no idea about the official chart rule change until I saw your comment here and did a bit of research (though I still don't completely understand the new rules.) It seems that artists can only have 3 songs max in the Top 100 now, and the streaming : sales ratio changes after songs have reached a certain number of total weeks on the chart? Hmmm...it's a tricky situation. On one hand, I'm all for greater diversity and higher turnover on the charts...but it seems like the chart is loses its main purpose somewhat when the most streamed AND most purchased song of the week isn't No. 1 :-? Admittedly, quantifying the popularity of songs can be tricky business, especially considering the evolution of how people consume music.

Thanks again, Jake! :D
phoenix98
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:55 pm

JSparksFan wrote:Your #1 is a bit...tame for me, but I certainly appreciate and endorse its message! The best people bring out the best in you.

Curious re-entry for "The Loving Kind," but it's beautiful!

I certainly prefer "Havana" to "OMG," but I find it so hilarious how little I care(d) for Fifth Harmony, and how much I'm enjoying Camila as a solo act.
Ha, well...if Kesha's "Praying" didn't sufficiently move you, I'm not too shocked that "I Like Me Better" failed to do so! :lol:

Ah, that's owed to Fan bumping its Pop thread! Easily one of my GA faves. So gorgeous, and so sad...

I'm glad to see we're on the same page re: "Havana" VS "OMG", but overall, I'm still not hearing what you hear in Camila :oops: Which is a bummer, because I WANT to like her material (if only to justify her abrupt exit from 5H...)

JSparksFan wrote:"Scared to Be Lonely" was my introduction to Dua Lipa, but I just thought she was another featured act on a DJ's song whose name I'd forget by year-end. "New Rules" was a brilliant way to be introduced to her as a solo act. Admittedly, I'm not too crazy about the video. It's nice, and definitely better than the average video we get these days, but nothing I think I'll be revisiting anytime soon.
"New Rules" definitely seems to be a fan-making moment for Dua (especially given its recent ascent to No. 1 in the UK!) Am I correct in recalling that you checked out Dua's album during your recent new-album-listening-streak? Did anything strike you as recommendation-worthy? (Though I vaguely remember you mentioning that it didn't have much to offer beyond the [many] singles...)

JSparksFan wrote:I actually haven't seen the "Fetish" video yet. I've been really slow with watching videos this year.
Totally understandable. That's partially why I was SO impressed when "Hard Times", "New Rules", and "Boys" actually made me want to play them a second (and third, and fourth...) time.

JSparksFan wrote:I know it's nothing particularly brilliant, but my favourite lyric is shortly after the bit you highlighted:

I'm an apostrophe
I'm just a symbol to remind you that there's more to see
Ah, shame on me for missing that mighty metaphor!

Fan wrote:OH YES!! I would definitely love to cuddle with quite a few of the boys who are featured in the video :P And with PJ pants (or less, like you said) would be the perfect look, haha. And don't worry- he is the British actor Riz Ahmed, who is featured in The Nightcrawler and the latest Star Wars movie.

And I haven't indeed, no :o Never bothered to check them out and his is not very well known over here, so radio stations don't play him! I think ICYDK and RPRT are pretty similar, but ICYDK has stronger material (in my opinion).

C U Next Tuesday and Dancing With Tears In My Eyes are both tunes! Do you like her new record?

Not liking that Havana track though!
Ah, so it wasn't just the glasses keeping me from recognizing him :oops: Thanks for giving me a reason to look him up!

Here = The Netherlands for you, right? Or am I totally off-the-mark? Do local artists get a lot of radio exposure there/who's dominating your airwaves?

I do! I do indeed. You'll be seeing quite a bit (well, basically ALL of it) on my latest chart, so I'd love to hear your thoughts/favorites!

Ha, no worries about "Havana." It might be my favorite of Camila's solo offerings so far (as the lead artist), but none of them have managed to REALLY hook me. I've much preferred her guest appearances (especially "Bad Things", but "Know No Better" caught my attention too.)

phoenix98
Legend

Return to Personal Charts