Paulboard Top 30 | 11.09.18 | now I listen and laugh...

Moderators: JSparksFan, tdc2000, FreakyFlyBry

Postby JSparksFan » Sat May 19, 2018 6:47 pm

I just watched the Years & Years video. Olly's visuals are just slaying this era. Plus, he's kinda sexy, and this video had him and that other male dancer as eye candy, so yay. :D

I pretty much like/love all the songs here, sans the new Charlie Puth tracks I haven't heard. Love that "Ashes" was #1 here last week, love that Dirty Computer is still doing well here, love the Ms. Jackson re-entries, and I love that "Youth" debuted here, but boo that it's not higher. Thanks for giving me lots to love this week, Paul! :D

01 (NE) 01 | "If You're Over Me" - Years & Years | 1 (1)
02 (01) 02 | "Ashes" - Céline Dion | 1 (1)
03 (10) 02 | "Crazy, Classic, Life" - Janelle Monáe | 3
04 (07) 04 | "I Like That" - Janelle Monáe | 4 | [G]
05 (06) 03 | "Dirty Computer" - Janelle Monáe ft. Brian Wilson | 5
09 (04) 02 | "Bloom" - Troye Sivan | 4
11 (02) 04 | "Babe" - Sugarland ft. Taylor Swift | 2 (1) | [G]
13 (11) 04 | "No Tears Left To Cry" - Ariana Grande | 1 (1) | [G]
14 (RE) 05 | "Attention" - Charlie Puth | 9 | [G]
15 (RE) 02 | "You Can Be Mine" - Janet Jackson | 15
16 (RE) 02 | "Go Deep" - Janet Jackson | 16
17 (12) 03 | "Americans" - Janelle Monáe | 2 (1)
18 (03) 06 | "Pynk" - Janelle Monáe ft. Grimes | 1 (1) | [G]
21 (RE) 03 | "New Agenda" - Janet Jackson | 9 | [G]
23 (NE) 01 | "You" - Janet Jackson | 23
24 (NE) 01 | "Toy" - Netta | 24
25 (RE) 04 | "My My My!" - Troye Sivan | 4 | [G]
26 (NE) 01 | "Youth" - Shawn Mendes ft. Khalid | 26
28 (19) 10 | "Stop Me From Falling" - Kylie Minogue | 1 (3) | [2xP]
29 (RE) 03 | "State Of The World" - Janet Jackson | 11 | [G]
30 (20) 02 | "Sky Full Of Song" - Florence + The Machine | 20

phoenix98 wrote: :D I'm truly touched that you noticed! You've got a keen eye. I do have a slight OCD approach to post-timestamps, and much prefer the look of a "0" or "5" at the end. I feel similarly about that damn "edited" bar at the bottom of posts, but that one can be harder to remedy, since deleting and re-posting can throw off the entire flow of conversation in a thread once others have chimed in.
I totally get all of that!

phoenix98 wrote:I also appreciate how the tone of your post doesn't at all convey "Jesus, man, it's just a forum. Loosen up a little." :lol:
It being a forum is even more license to post as you want, within the rules and guidelines of forum policy, of course! 8-)

phoenix98 wrote:"Pynk" proved to be a very rare steady-climber here (where songs usually debut at their peak, or possibly reach it in week 2, then fall from that point forward, with occasional mini-rebounds on the way down). "Pynk" operates on a pretty perfect plane for me: I love the chill, catchy sound of the song, and I can completely get behind the lyrics ("F**k yeah pussy power! Bodies are beautiful! Women are sexy (on their own damn terms, not mens') and strong!") without hitting any gut-wrenching brutally-honest moments that drop in some of the other Dirty Computer tracks. I absolutely appreciate that those moments are included, but it slightly hurts their replay-value when I need to take a breather after hearing them, as I shake my head and wonder "What the f**k do we do now?" How do we fix this?" She really knows how to yank your head out of the sand. Janelle and I might be able to share the same LGBTQ umbrella, but as a white male, I know I'm a part of some communities/systems that have given her the serious sh*t she's fighting back against. She serves some heavy, necessary reminders of how just far our country (and me personally) still need to go...

I did! My heart seriously sank when I thought it was ending without properly featuring "Americans," but its inclusion couldn't have been more perfect! The whole picture deserves its own post(s), but her creativity/vision is really remarkable. Her brilliant blending of sci-fi scenery/story-telling with VERY relevant contemporary social commentary ought to be witnessed by as many people as possible.
YES at all of this! :D

As we're on the topic of strong female empowerment anthems, I don't think I've seen you post about "Fall in Line", nor is it here on your chart, so have you just not heard it yet, or has one of my favourite songs of the year not managed to impact you?

phoenix98 wrote:Yeah, "No Tears Left To Cry" definitely put me in "I haven't revisited her catalog in a while..." mode. I had no idea Glee ever covered that! I'm rarely this fickle when it comes to TV shows, usually sticking it out until cancellation - but I completely fell off the wagon after season 2 :oops: In my defense, season 1 had become a weekly viewing ritual with a few friends in college, but once we all went our separate ways after graduation, the experience just wasn't the same watching it myself each week. I'm definitely thankful for it re-shaping your views on "Problem," though!
Yeah, the first three seasons of Glee were epic, but I fell off during season four when the show's airtime clashed with one of my classes. I definitely encourage you to re-visit it, though. The show has this ability to breathe new life into songs that is unparalleled by any other series.

phoenix98 wrote:You inspire me in many ways ;) I figure the avatar changes, while serving as a way to mourn the loss of these bops, also serves as a celebration of your tribute. It's on my mind (basically) every day lately, and I've been loving the ride.
Aw, I'm really happy to hear you've been enjoying the tribute. They can be a bit of pressure sometimes, knowing that you're writing about songs that you have months of familiarity with, and multi-decade-long fans are reading your thoughts, but it has been a pleasure reading your posts and seeing the viewpoints that we share and those that clash. Reading others' perspectives on songs can be so powerful. I know I go back to that Taylor Swift "Ours" example a lot, but I really would not have appreciated the song the way I do now were it not for me reading how you viewed it. Music + insightful perspectives = glorious magic.

phoenix98 wrote: :o Massive! It didn't even require a new album release (not that I'd mind another form her, though I don't expect it anytime soon). She really has such a quality catalog - there's plenty of epic tracks that are essentially burnout-proof, but the vastness and variety of worthwhile moments make it even easier (and wholly satisfying) to binge on.
Yeah, and her voice being so light and therapeutic definitely makes me want to hit that replay button like a madman.
Franklin’s music profoundly touched and changed the world, because over and over it offered that bridge to salvation, to freedom.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Mon May 28, 2018 3:20 pm

JSparksFan wrote:I just watched the Years & Years video. Olly's visuals are just slaying this era. Plus, he's kinda sexy, and this video had him and that other male dancer as eye candy, so yay. :D
Olly definitely seems to be fully owning/embracing his sex appeal lately, and I'm 1000% on-board with that 8-) There was this simplified, Olly-only teaser clip they uploaded shortly before the song was released that does even more for me than the proper video. :oops:

JSparksFan wrote:I pretty much like/love all the songs here, sans the new Charlie Puth tracks I haven't heard. Love that "Ashes" was #1 here last week, love that Dirty Computer is still doing well here, love the Ms. Jackson re-entries, and I love that "Youth" debuted here, but boo that it's not higher. Thanks for giving me lots to love this week, Paul! :D
I love hearing that you've been lovin' lots of what I've been lovin' lately! Such a glowing Akini review (Charlie understandably aside) is one of the most heart-warming, smile-inducing comments that I could possibly receive here!

JSparksFan wrote:As we're on the topic of strong female empowerment anthems, I don't think I've seen you post about "Fall in Line", nor is it here on your chart, so have you just not heard it yet, or has one of my favourite songs of the year not managed to impact you?
:oops: :oops: :oops: There was so much beautiful, positive synchronization going on between us in your post that I really hate to derail it now.

I've got zero qualms with its message, of course, and I appreciate the gusto/loud-and-proud conviction used to deliver said message throughout the song. We've briefly previously discussed my struggles to enjoy some of Christina's catalog, and while I applaud her for every line written in "Fall In Line," the experience of actually listening to her and Demi sing those words isn't one I've felt inclined to repeat much. Maybe there'll be a remix or cover version that better marries such high-quality lyrical substance with a style that's better suited to my ears. I still need to check out the video too...

JSparksFan wrote:Yeah, the first three seasons of Glee were epic, but I fell off during season four when the show's airtime clashed with one of my classes. I definitely encourage you to re-visit it, though. The show has this ability to breathe new life into songs that is unparalleled by any other series.
YES! Critics/cynics were so quick to deride their "bastardization" of classics, but not only did Glee often put a genuinely creative spin on songs (starting with something like turning "Don't Stop Believin'" into a male-female duet, and really blossoming with some of their mash-ups), they also introduced (or re-introduced) these classics to an audience that might never have delved into the originals otherwise. It totally deserves credit for pushing me to download Rumours (among others).

JSparksFan wrote:Aw, I'm really happy to hear you've been enjoying the tribute. They can be a bit of pressure sometimes, knowing that you're writing about songs that you have months of familiarity with, and multi-decade-long fans are reading your thoughts, but it has been a pleasure reading your posts and seeing the viewpoints that we share and those that clash. Reading others' perspectives on songs can be so powerful. I know I go back to that Taylor Swift "Ours" example a lot, but I really would not have appreciated the song the way I do now were it not for me reading how you viewed it. Music + insightful perspectives = glorious magic.
Aw, I hear you with the pressure, but I definitely want the tribute-making (and sharing) experience to be fun for you foremost!

It's funny, because as a reader and commenter, I sometimes feel a little pressure to provide especially articulate, thought-provoking responses in an attempt to match the caliber of what you've provided in your write-ups (and out of respect for Janet/her material). That pressure isn't entirely bad, though, since it pushes me to better examine and organize my thoughts about these songs, beyond simply recognizing that some elicit a stronger emotional response than others. Basically: your tribute is both a gleeful nostalgia ride and an exercise in more clearly, coherently expressing myself.

Thanks again, Akini! :D
phoenix98
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Mon May 28, 2018 3:30 pm

Paulboard Top 30
Chart Date: 05/25/18

• Having previously reached as high as No. 3 with "Symphony" last year, Clean Bandit finally snag their first Paulboard No. 1 with the Demi Lovato-assisted "Solo."

TW | LW | WKS ON | TITLE | ARTIST | PEAK | CERT

01 (NE) 01 | "Solo" - Clean Bandit ft. Demi Lovato | 1 (1)
02 (04) 05 | "I Like That" - Janelle Monáe | 2 (1) | [G]
03 (01) 02 | "If You're Over Me" - Years & Years | 1 (1)
04 (03) 03 | "Crazy, Classic, Life" - Janelle Monáe | 3 | [G]
05 (05) 04 | "Dirty Computer" - Janelle Monáe ft. Brian Wilson | 5 | [G]
06 (02) 03 | "Ashes" - Céline Dion | 1 (1) | [G]
07 (12) 02 | "Back To You" - Selena Gomez | 7
08 (19) 02 | "BOY" - Charlie Puth | 8
09 (RE) 11 | "Delicate" - Taylor Swift | 1 (2) | [P]
10 (10) 03 | "I'll Be There" - Jess Glynne | 5
11 (13) 05 | "No Tears Left To Cry" - Ariana Grande | 1 (1) | [G]
12 (21) 04 | "New Agenda" - Janet Jackson | 9 | [G]
13 (NE) 01 | "We Got Love" - Jessica Mauboy | 13
14 (NE) 01 | "Fuego" - Eleni Foureira | 14
15 (RE) 07 | "Hold My Hand" - Jess Glynne | 6 | [G]
16 (24) 02 | "Toy" - Netta | 16
17 (09) 03 | "Bloom" - Troye Sivan | 4
18 (06) 02 | "Somebody Told Me" - Charlie Puth | 6
19 (NE) 01 | "Twenty Foreplay" - Janet Jackson | 19
20 (RE) 02 | "Where Are You Now" - Janet Jackson | 20
21 (NE) 01 | "Again" - Janet Jackson | 21
22 (RE) 02 | "Come On Get Up" - Janet Jackson | 22
23 (NE) 01 | "Don't Go Breaking My Heart" - Backstreet Boys | 23
24 (RE) 04 | "Golden Hour" - Kacey Musgraves | 5
25 (11) 05 | "Babe" - Sugarland ft. Taylor Swift | 2 (1) | [G]
26 (30) 03 | "Sky Full Of Song" - Florence + The Machine | 20
27 (NE) 01 | "Let You Be Right" - Meghan Trainor | 27
28 (RE) 02 | "One Kiss" - Calvin Harris ft. Dua Lipa | 7
29 (07) 02 | "Slow It Down" - Charlie Puth | 7
30 (RE) 02 | "Come Back Home" - Lauv | 19

[GOLD] = 25+ total plays
[PLAT] = 50+ total plays
phoenix98
Legend

Postby Tansike » Mon May 28, 2018 4:08 pm

YASSS at Jake, you and me sharing our #1s again <3

Need to catch up with comments as soon as possible. Only this week and then it‘ll finally get better... :oops:
Tansike
Legend

Postby JakeP » Mon May 28, 2018 9:01 pm

Tansike wrote:YASSS at Jake, you and me sharing our #1s again <3
We have the best taste. 8-) I also need to catch up with other charts on here. :oops:

Hey Paul :D

01 (NE) 01 | "Solo" - Clean Bandit ft. Demi Lovato | 1 (1)

Yay! So happy to see Solo as your #1. Clean Bandit have done it again for me. This becomes their 7th chart topper which is extraordinary. These guys really know how to create pure pop bliss. <3

03 (01) 02 | "If You're Over Me" - Years & Years | 1 (1)

This is still growing on me even though i've liked it since its release. Maybe this could finally break into my top 5 next weekend. :P I'm still anticipating the third music video because i want to see more of Olly in his black underwear curled up on that bed. Mmm! :oops: :lol:

06 (02) 03 | "Ashes" - Céline Dion | 1 (1) | [G]

This remains as stunning and epic as ever. A truly deserved #1 in our charts, and i love how the success of Deadpool 2 has helped to keep the song selling steadily on iTunes over the last few weeks.

07 (12) 02 | "Back To You" - Selena Gomez | 7

This might be more of a grower. At first it sounded like a weaker version of It ain't me and got lost amongst all the eurovision entries in my chart. But it might have a shot at entering my top 20 next week. Tomorrow would be the perfect timing for a music video to really capitalise on this. :P

13 (NE) 01 | "We Got Love" - Jessica Mauboy | 13
14 (NE) 01 | "Fuego" - Eleni Foureira | 14

Aww nice to see these eurovision songs entering. Fuego is easily my overall favourite this year.

23 (NE) 01 | "Don't Go Breaking My Heart" - Backstreet Boys | 23

Ohh i thought this would be lower judging from your less than impressed comment in my chart. It's no Everybody or I want it that way but its still a good track.

27 (NE) 01 | "Let You Be Right" - Meghan Trainor | 27

I wanted to like this but i found it really underwhelming. :( If this is a sign of things to come, i can't see Meghan's third album being that successful.

Best of the rest:

09 (RE) 11 | "Delicate" - Taylor Swift | 1 (2) | [P]
10 (10) 03 | "I'll Be There" - Jess Glynne | 5
11 (13) 05 | "No Tears Left To Cry" - Ariana Grande | 1 (1) | [G]
15 (RE) 07 | "Hold My Hand" - Jess Glynne | 6 | [G]
16 (24) 02 | "Toy" - Netta | 16
17 (09) 03 | "Bloom" - Troye Sivan | 4
21 (NE) 01 | "Again" - Janet Jackson | 21
26 (30) 03 | "Sky Full Of Song" - Florence + The Machine | 20
28 (RE) 02 | "One Kiss" - Calvin Harris ft. Dua Lipa | 7
JakeP
Superstar

Postby JakeP » Mon May 28, 2018 9:39 pm

Totally random comment time. :lol: I find this so sweet. <3

The way Shawn gently touches Niall's hand. :o :wink:
JakeP
Superstar

Postby phoenix98 » Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:20 pm

Tansike wrote:YASSS at Jake, you and me sharing our #1s again <3

Need to catch up with comments as soon as possible. Only this week and then it‘ll finally get better... :oops:
:cry: :cry: :cry: It's like a double rainbow during an eclipse while the northern lights are somehow visible too - AND so soon after we synched up with Ari! Despite some things going very wrong with music/the charts in 2018, at least some things are still going quite right. 8-)

**Hug** Best of luck with surviving this tough transitional time! I'm glad you managed to pop in here to celebrate our "Solo" synchronization.

Thanks again, Tansike! :D
phoenix98
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:25 pm

JakeP wrote:We have the best taste. 8-) I also need to catch up with other charts on here. :oops:
I detect no lies. 8-)

JakeP wrote:Hey Paul :D
Hiya Jake! :D

JakeP wrote:Yay! So happy to see Solo as your #1. Clean Bandit have done it again for me. This becomes their 7th chart topper which is extraordinary. These guys really know how to create pure pop bliss. <3
Having seven Jakeboard No. 1's to their name is truly impressive :o "Solo" actually marks their seventh Paulboard entry (and their first trip to the top). I'm not sure if there's a full album on the horizon, since they're doing more than fine with all of these standalone singles, but I'll definitely be checking it out if/when it drops.

JakeP wrote:This is still growing on me even though i've liked it since its release. Maybe this could finally break into my top 5 next weekend. :P I'm still anticipating the third music video because i want to see more of Olly in his black underwear curled up on that bed. Mmm! :oops: :lol:
Maybe Olly's plan is to wear less and less with each subsequent Palo Santo video...? ;) **Fingers crossed**

JakeP wrote:This remains as stunning and epic as ever. A truly deserved #1 in our charts, and i love how the success of Deadpool 2 has helped to keep the song selling steadily on iTunes over the last few weeks.
Yeah, it'd be great to see it smashing (especially given how successful the movie's been), but poor Céline's at an age when mainstream success is just so much (unjustly) harder to achieve :x A gorgeous, sweeping ballad like this certainly doesn't fit with the currently trendy genres/styles either. **Sigh**

JakeP wrote:This might be more of a grower. At first it sounded like a weaker version of It ain't me and got lost amongst all the eurovision entries in my chart. But it might have a shot at entering my top 20 next week. Tomorrow would be the perfect timing for a music video to really capitalise on this. :P
I might be the only one, but I actually prefer it to "It Ain't Me" :oops: Neither are among my all-time-favorites from Selena, but it has this somewhat soothing effect on me. It's a fairly sad song, but also kind of...calming?

JakeP wrote:Aww nice to see these eurovision songs entering. Fuego is easily my overall favourite this year.
I absolutely owe your chart for steering me toward those! :D

JakeP wrote:I wanted to like this but i found it really underwhelming. :( If this is a sign of things to come, i can't see Meghan's third album being that successful.
Yeah, she's REALLY in a rough spot now, with the lead single seriously under-performing and then the dual-release follow-ups completely flopping :-? I thought "No Excuses" had its charms, but I won't be too gutted if she ends up scrapping these and starting from scratch for album #3.

JakeP wrote:The way Shawn gently touches Niall's hand. :o :wink:
SO much affectionate physical contact throughout that brief clip :o Gentle arm touches, light knee touches...I obviously want to interpret it as flirtatious, but even if it simply means they're warm and affectionate guys in general, it's still an endearing sight to behold. Thanks for sharing that! :D

Thanks again, Jake! :D
phoenix98
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:30 pm

Paulboard Top 30
Chart Date: 06/01/18

• The latest gospel of CHVRCHES, Love Is Dead, gives life to their third No. 1 and imbues the chart with their divine message.

01 (NE) 01 | "Graves" - CHVRCHES | 1 (1)
02 (01) 02 | "Solo" - Clean Bandit ft. Demi Lovato | 1 (1)
03 (NE) 01 | "Wonderland" - CHVRCHES | 3
04 (NE) 01 | "Heaven/Hell" - CHVRCHES | 4
05 (NE) 01 | "Deliverance" - CHVRCHES | 5
06 (03) 03 | "If You're Over Me" - Years & Years | 1 (1) | [G]
07 (NE) 01 | "Graffiti" - CHVRCHES | 7
08 (NE) 01 | "Forever" - CHVRCHES | 8
09 (RE) 04 | "Clearest Blue" - CHVRCHES | 6 | [G]
10 (RE) 04 | "Make Them Gold" - CHVRCHES | 7 | [G]
11 (RE) 02 | "My Enemy" - CHVRCHES ft. Matt Berninger | 11
12 (NE) 01 | "ii" - CHVRCHES | 12
13 (NE) 01 | "Really Gone" - CHVRCHES | 13
14 (RE) 04 | "Bow Down" - CHVRCHES | 9 | [G]
15 (RE) 06 | "Leave A Trace" - CHVRCHES | 2 (1) | [G]
16 (RE) 04 | "Rollin'" - Kylie Minogue | 10 | [G]
17 (02) 06 | "I Like That" - Janelle Monáe | 2 (1) | [G]
18 (RE) 05 | "Never Say Die" - CHVRCHES | 1 (1) | [G]
19 (04) 04 | "Crazy, Classic, Life" - Janelle Monáe | 3 | [G]
20 (05) 05 | "Dirty Computer" - Janelle Monáe ft. Brian Wilson | 5 | [G]
21 (06) 04 | "Ashes" - Céline Dion | 1 (1) | [G]
22 (RE) 04 | "Stop Me From Falling (Remix)" - Kylie Minogue ft. Gente de Zona | 2 (1)
23 (RE) 04 | "The Mother We Share" - CHVRCHES | 3 | [G]
24 (RE) 05 | "Get Out" - CHVRCHES | 1 (1) | [G]
25 (NE) 01 | "God's Plan" - CHVRCHES | 25
26 (RE) 04 | "Miracle" - CHVRCHES | 8
27 (NE) 01 | "Escapade" - Janet Jackson | 27
28 (RE) 04 | "Someone To Call My Lover" - Janet Jackson | 22 | [G]
29 (09) 12 | "Delicate" - Taylor Swift | 1 (2) | [P]
30 (NE) 01 | "Fake Love" - BTS | 30

[GOLD] = 25+ total plays
[PLAT] = 50+ total plays
phoenix98
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:45 am

"Graves" sounds pretty pedestrian on the first listen. I don't know if I'm missing some lyrical highlights, but if I'm to compare it to the only other CHVRCHES song I know - "The Mother We Share" - I have to say it isn't as good. It got better towards the end, though.

"Solo" is great, and quite a few of us seem to be charting it rather high on your daily/weekly lists. Demi's really killing it with the features these days. I see BTS here, and I must admit that the song itself isn't anything special, but their live performances of it have just been...ridiculously impressive! If pop stars on this side of the world had to live up to that standard of choreography to sustain their careers, who would we have left besides Beyoncé, J.Lo, Ciara, Normani, and Tinashe?

01 (NE) 01 | "Graves" - CHVRCHES | 1 (1)
02 (01) 02 | "Solo" - Clean Bandit ft. Demi Lovato | 1 (1)
06 (03) 03 | "If You're Over Me" - Years & Years | 1 (1) | [G]
17 (02) 06 | "I Like That" - Janelle Monáe | 2 (1) | [G]
19 (04) 04 | "Crazy, Classic, Life" - Janelle Monáe | 3 | [G]
20 (05) 05 | "Dirty Computer" - Janelle Monáe ft. Brian Wilson | 5 | [G]
21 (06) 04 | "Ashes" - Céline Dion | 1 (1) | [G]
22 (RE) 04 | "Stop Me From Falling (Remix)" - Kylie Minogue ft. Gente de Zona | 2 (1)
23 (RE) 04 | "The Mother We Share" - CHVRCHES | 3 | [G]
27 (NE) 01 | "Escapade" - Janet Jackson | 27
28 (RE) 04 | "Someone To Call My Lover" - Janet Jackson | 22 | [G]
29 (09) 12 | "Delicate" - Taylor Swift | 1 (2) | [P]
30 (NE) 01 | "Fake Love" - BTS | 30

phoenix98 wrote: :oops: :oops: :oops: There was so much beautiful, positive synchronization going on between us in your post that I really hate to derail it now.

I've got zero qualms with its message, of course, and I appreciate the gusto/loud-and-proud conviction used to deliver said message throughout the song. We've briefly previously discussed my struggles to enjoy some of Christina's catalog, and while I applaud her for every line written in "Fall In Line," the experience of actually listening to her and Demi sing those words isn't one I've felt inclined to repeat much. Maybe there'll be a remix or cover version that better marries such high-quality lyrical substance with a style that's better suited to my ears. I still need to check out the video too...
I had to laugh at that bolded bit. :lol: That's a gentle way of expressing your disapproval. I get where you're coming from, though. I think the same grandness/gusto that I appreciate can be aurally challenging to listen to as well. I know their live BBMAs performance was certainly...a testing moment for millions of ears around the world. The video is pretty basic; I wanted something much bigger than what they delivered, but the end is sweet, I guess. "Fall in Line" is very much in my vein of anthemic songs, though, so it was a given I'd love it (the studio recording).

phoenix98 wrote:YES! Critics/cynics were so quick to deride their "bastardization" of classics, but not only did Glee often put a genuinely creative spin on songs (starting with something like turning "Don't Stop Believin'" into a male-female duet, and really blossoming with some of their mash-ups), they also introduced (or re-introduced) these classics to an audience that might never have delved into the originals otherwise. It totally deserves credit for pushing me to download Rumours (among others).
Agreed! I think some people are too quick to 'pedalise' the songs they grew up with, and don't open their minds (and ears) to the possibility that a cover done by much younger acts could possibly present the song's brilliance in a different shade. If the Glee Cast did 5,000 covers, I'd say at least 3,000 were interpretations I preferred to the original. As good a job as Journey did with it, there hasn't been a "Don't Stop Believin'" cover I've heard better than the Glee Cast version.

phoenix98 wrote:Aw, I hear you with the pressure, but I definitely want the tribute-making (and sharing) experience to be fun for you foremost!

It's funny, because as a reader and commenter, I sometimes feel a little pressure to provide especially articulate, thought-provoking responses in an attempt to match the caliber of what you've provided in your write-ups (and out of respect for Janet/her material). That pressure isn't entirely bad, though, since it pushes me to better examine and organize my thoughts about these songs, beyond simply recognizing that some elicit a stronger emotional response than others. Basically: your tribute is both a gleeful nostalgia ride and an exercise in more clearly, coherently expressing myself.
The middle part of tributes is always difficult because I have to express my feelings about songs I like, but I'm not passionate about. I feel like I can go into decent detail about why I love or loathe a track, but a track that's just 'good' for me is harder to expound on. We're in the closing stages now, so it's back to a fun end for me! :D

Ah, pressure on both sides - interesting! I do love when we have moments where we just admit, "I like this song and I'm not entirely sure why because here's another song that's quite similar to it that I don't give half a rat's tit about", but I have to commend you for your many articulate posts in the thread!
Franklin’s music profoundly touched and changed the world, because over and over it offered that bridge to salvation, to freedom.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:45 pm

JSparksFan wrote:"Graves" sounds pretty pedestrian on the first listen. I don't know if I'm missing some lyrical highlights, but if I'm to compare it to the only other CHVRCHES song I know - "The Mother We Share" - I have to say it isn't as good. It got better towards the end, though.
Ha, well...I do love walking as often as possible, so I guess pedestrian is just my speed :lol: CHVRCHES did set the bar pretty high for themselves right from the start by releasing "The Mother We Share" as their debut single, but "Graves" still really speaks to me. It's like a "Fall In Line" that my ears are more inclined toward: there's a (somewhat) substantive socially-conscious message to be found about the costs of keeping our heads buried in the sand during troubling times (that we partially brought about ourselves), but wrapped in a sufficiently sleek, poppy-sounding package. <3

JSparksFan wrote:"Solo" is great, and quite a few of us seem to be charting it rather high on your daily/weekly lists. Demi's really killing it with the features these days. I see BTS here, and I must admit that the song itself isn't anything special, but their live performances of it have just been...ridiculously impressive! If pop stars on this side of the world had to live up to that standard of choreography to sustain their careers, who would we have left besides Beyoncé, J.Lo, Ciara, Normani, and Tinashe?
Yeah, I feel similarly about "Fake Love." It was awesome to FINALLY see a K-pop song crack the Hot 100 Top 10 (even if only for a week), but there's plenty of other singles in that genre I've enjoyed WAY more (even just among other BTS offerings). Totally agree about the effort they put into their routines too! Setting a Janet-level performance standard. 8-)

JSparksFan wrote:I had to laugh at that bolded bit. :lol: That's a gentle way of expressing your disapproval. I get where you're coming from, though. I think the same grandness/gusto that I appreciate can be aurally challenging to listen to as well. I know their live BBMAs performance was certainly...a testing moment for millions of ears around the world. The video is pretty basic; I wanted something much bigger than what they delivered, but the end is sweet, I guess. "Fall in Line" is very much in my vein of anthemic songs, though, so it was a given I'd love it (the studio recording).
Ha, I did want to choose my words especially carefully, given your enthusiasm for the track :lol: but I really do believe this is a case of their singing styles/melodies not being suited to my particular tastes, as opposed to them doing anything "wrong" or the track actually lacking in any way. There's no denying that Christina has a powerful, emotive voice - she just tends to lend it to songs, or utilize her gift in ways that don't quite work with my...aural palate.

JSparksFan wrote:Agreed! I think some people are too quick to 'pedalise' the songs they grew up with, and don't open their minds (and ears) to the possibility that a cover done by much younger acts could possibly present the song's brilliance in a different shade. If the Glee Cast did 5,000 covers, I'd say at least 3,000 were interpretations I preferred to the original. As good a job as Journey did with it, there hasn't been a "Don't Stop Believin'" cover I've heard better than the Glee Cast version.
That's a mighty impressive track record!

JSparksFan wrote:The middle part of tributes is always difficult because I have to express my feelings about songs I like, but I'm not passionate about. I feel like I can go into decent detail about why I love or loathe a track, but a track that's just 'good' for me is harder to expound on. We're in the closing stages now, so it's back to a fun end for me! :D

Ah, pressure on both sides - interesting! I do love when we have moments where we just admit, "I like this song and I'm not entirely sure why because here's another song that's quite similar to it that I don't give half a rat's tit about", but I have to commend you for your many articulate posts in the thread!
That makes a lot of sense. There's plenty to say when you find tracks appalling or amazing, but when they're just...fine...it's hard to come up with dozens of different ways to just say "meh." :lol:

You're too kind <3 and I love that you found a way to work "rat's tit" in there. Nipplegate on the brain? ;)

Thanks again, Akini! :D
phoenix98
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:00 pm

Paulboard Top 30
Chart Date: 06/08/18

• CHVRCHES continue their sermon at the summit, as "Graves" marks the group's first-ever multi-week stint.

01 (01) 02 | "Graves" - CHVRCHES | 1 (2) | [G]
02 (02) 03 | "Solo" - Clean Bandit ft. Demi Lovato | 1 (1) | [G]
03 (06) 04 | "If You're Over Me" - Years & Years | 1 (1) | [G]
04 (10) 05 | "Make Them Gold" - CHVRCHES | 4 | [G]
05 (RE) 02 | "Girls Like You" - Maroon 5 | 5
06 (14) 05 | "Bow Down" - CHVRCHES | 6 | [G]
07 (RE) 05 | "Love Will Never Do (Without You)" - Janet Jackson | 7 | [G]
08 (RE) 03 | "Back To You" - Selena Gomez | 7
09 (NE) 01 | "Colour" - MNEK ft. Hailee Steinfeld | 9
10 (NE) 01 | "Question" - Lauv ft. Travis Mills | 10
11 (22) 05 | "Stop Me From Falling (Remix)" - Kylie Minogue ft. Gente de Zona | 2 (1) | [G]
12 (26) 05 | "Miracle" - CHVRCHES | 8
13 (09) 05 | "Clearest Blue" - CHVRCHES | 6 | [G]
14 (23) 05 | "The Mother We Share" - CHVRCHES | 3 | [G]
15 (RE) 02 | "BURNITUP!" - Janet Jackson ft. Missy Elliot | 6
16 (03) 02 | "Wonderland" - CHVRCHES | 3
17 (04) 02 | "Heaven/Hell" - CHVRCHES | 4
18 (20) 06 | "Dirty Computer" - Janelle Monáe ft. Brian Wilson | 5 | [G]
19 (15) 07 | "Leave A Trace" - CHVRCHES | 2 (1) | [G]
20 (18) 06 | "Never Say Die" - CHVRCHES | 1 (1) | [G]
21 (NE) 01 | "5 In The Morning" - Charli XCX | 21
22 (RE) 05 | "Unbreakable" - Janet Jackson | 3 | [G]
23 (07) 02 | "Graffiti" - CHVRCHES | 7
24 (RE) 09 | "Easy Love" - Lauv | 11 | [P]
25 (NE) 01 | "Paranoid" - Lauv | 25
26 (RE) 11 | "I Like Me Better" - Lauv | 1 (2) | [P]
27 (RE) 03 | "Chasing Fire" - Lauv | 3
28 (NE) 01 | "Never Not" - Lauv | 28
29 (19) 05 | "Crazy, Classic, Life" - Janelle Monáe | 3 | [G]
30 (17) 07 | "I Like That" - Janelle Monáe | 2 (1) | [G]

[GOLD] = 25+ total plays
[PLAT] = 50+ total plays
phoenix98
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:00 pm

Paulboard Top 30
Chart Date: 06/15/18

• CHVRCHES are blessed with the longest-running No. 1 of 2018 thus far, as "Graves" collects a holy trinity of weeks on top.

01 (01) 03 | "Graves" - CHVRCHES | 1 (3) | [G]
02 (RE) 13 | "Delicate" - Taylor Swift | 1 (2) | [2xP]
03 (09) 02 | "Colour" - MNEK ft. Hailee Steinfeld | 3
04 (NE) 01 | "Youngblood" - 5 Seconds Of Summer | 4
05 (27) 04 | "Chasing Fire" - Lauv | 3 | [G]
06 (RE) 07 | "Call It What You Want" - Taylor Swift | 6 | [G]
07 (RE) 12 | "Tilted" - Christine And The Queens | 2 (2) | [2xP]
08 (05) 03 | "Girls Like You" - Maroon 5 | 5
09 (08) 04 | "Back To You" - Selena Gomez | 7
10 (13) 06 | "Clearest Blue" - CHVRCHES | 6 | [G]
11 (26) 12 | "I Like Me Better" - Lauv | 1 (2) | [2xP]
12 (17) 03 | "Heaven/Hell" - CHVRCHES | 4
13 (RE) 08 | "Backseat" - Charli XCX ft. Carly Rae Jepsen | 1 (1) | [P]
14 (10) 02 | "Question" - Lauv ft. Travis Mills | 10
15 (04) 06 | "Make Them Gold" - CHVRCHES | 4 | [G]
16 (RE) 04 | "Bloom" - Troye Sivan | 4 | [G]
17 (RE) 04 | "Doesn't Really Matter (Soundtrack Version)" - Janet Jackson | 17
18 (RE) 04 | "Dress" - Taylor Swift | 8 | [G]
19 (02) 04 | "Solo" - Clean Bandit ft. Demi Lovato | 1 (1) | [G]
20 (RE) 10 | "Chasing The Sun" - Hilary Duff | 1 (1) | [P]
21 (16) 03 | "Wonderland" - CHVRCHES | 3
22 (28) 02 | "Never Not" - Lauv | 22
23 (RE) 08 | "Track 10" - Charli XCX | 4 | [P]
24 (19) 08 | "Leave A Trace" - CHVRCHES | 2 (1) | [P]
25 (06) 06 | "Bow Down" - CHVRCHES | 6 | [G]
26 (NE) 01 | "Middle Finger" - Phoebe Ryan ft. Quinn XCII | 26
27 (RE) 03 | "Feedback" - Janet Jackson | 21
28 (RE) 08 | "Saint Claude" - Christine And The Queens | 1 (2) | [P]
29 (RE) 06 | "Cry" - Carly Rae Jepsen | 7 | [G]
30 (RE) 07 | "The One" - Carly Rae Jepsen | 3 | [P]

[GOLD] = 25+ total plays
[PLAT] = 50+ total plays
phoenix98
Legend

Postby Tansike » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:51 pm

Woah - congrats to CHVRCHES for getting the first song with three weeks at #1 on your charts! :o
I have to admit i didn't see this coming for "Graves", as while i think it's a solid track, it actually belongs to the weaker half of "Love Is Dead" for me.
Speaking of the album... since it's having such an impact on your charts, what are your faves overall? Mine are "My Enemy", "Miracle" and "God's Plan".

Strong re-entry for "Delicate". What's the reason behind that? The sudden increase on the latest BB Hot 100?

Nice to see Hailee scoring yet another hit on your charts with "Colour".
Also great debut for "Youngblood" - i finally checked it out as well last Friday and got surprised how good it is.

Aw... "Tilted". Damn. This is one of the songs i'm really annoyed by myself because i never checked this out until like a month or two ago, and i even fell in love with it a little bit, but i was sooo too late with discovering this so i didn't let it onto my charts. No idea why i never cared to check it out. But i'm glad it was such a hit on your charts, 2xP for a French artist seems quite impressive!

Very glad Selena is having a Top10 with "Back To You" <3
But ouch at that drop for "Solo"!

Last thing i'd like to leave a comment is Hilary. It's so good to see "Chasing The Sun" back. I just re-visited "Breathe In. Breathe Out." last week and it still sounds so good. I think this was released during a time when we didn't follow our charts, right? So... how did its track do here? Considering "Chasing The Sun" was a #1 hit and went Platinum i guess she was actually quite successful with a few more songs? :D
Tansike
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:47 am

Wow, I just checked out "Chasing Fire", and it's a bop! "I Like Me Better" is good, but this one is so much better! I'm listening to "Graves" again, but there's something off-putting about it that distracts me from the substantive message you mentioned. I think I just need to take a closer look at the lyrics on Genius to maybe highlight a part that's particularly intriguing and then listen out for that part at least when I play the song again. The Looking away refrain is nice, though. I'll save this and return to it at some point.

Great to see "Doesn't Really Matter" and "Feedback" charting. What prompted the return of "Delicate"? Even though "Delicate" is 'technically' superior, I like listening to "Dress" more. It's the falsetto and sensuality that do it for me.

Big thumbs-up for "Cry"! I think that's Carly Rae's second most underrated song, only behind "Love Again". With "Cry", Carly gives me an electro-pop bop and feels. It's not often I get both in a single package.

01 (01) 03 | "Graves" - CHVRCHES | 1 (3) | [G]
02 (RE) 13 | "Delicate" - Taylor Swift | 1 (2) | [2xP]
05 (27) 04 | "Chasing Fire" - Lauv | 3 | [G]
06 (RE) 07 | "Call It What You Want" - Taylor Swift | 6 | [G]
08 (05) 03 | "Girls Like You" - Maroon 5 | 5
11 (26) 12 | "I Like Me Better" - Lauv | 1 (2) | [2xP]
16 (RE) 04 | "Bloom" - Troye Sivan | 4 | [G]
17 (RE) 04 | "Doesn't Really Matter (Soundtrack Version)" - Janet Jackson | 17
18 (RE) 04 | "Dress" - Taylor Swift | 8 | [G]
19 (02) 04 | "Solo" - Clean Bandit ft. Demi Lovato | 1 (1) | [G]
20 (RE) 10 | "Chasing The Sun" - Hilary Duff | 1 (1) | [P]
27 (RE) 03 | "Feedback" - Janet Jackson | 21
29 (RE) 06 | "Cry" - Carly Rae Jepsen | 7 | [G]

phoenix98 wrote:Totally agree about the effort they put into their routines too! Setting a Janet-level performance standard. 8-)
Indeed! 8-)

phoenix98 wrote: I love that you found a way to work "rat's tit" in there. Nipplegate on the brain? ;)
Eh, not really. I just love that expression. :lol:
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:50 pm

Many thanks and much love for the comments! :D

Tansike wrote:Woah - congrats to CHVRCHES for getting the first song with three weeks at #1 on your charts! :o
I have to admit i didn't see this coming for "Graves", as while i think it's a solid track, it actually belongs to the weaker half of "Love Is Dead" for me.
Speaking of the album... since it's having such an impact on your charts, what are your faves overall? Mine are "My Enemy", "Miracle" and "God's Plan".
"Graves" definitely has me hooked, and it's easily my favorite from Love Is Dead, but it also benefitted from a lack of serious new competition lately. Nothing that I checked out over the past couple weeks has really "WOW"ed me, so "Graves" managed to stay on top with lower-than-usual weekly play counts for my No. 1 (less than 10, when they're usually in the 10-15+ range).

Ah, it's interesting that those tracks are your top-favorites, since they're some of the only songs on the album that CHVRCHES produced themselves (along with "Really Gone"). Everything else was done by Greg Kurstin (who's worked with Sia, Kelly Clarkson, Ellie Goulding, P!nk, Lily Allen, among others), so I guess you're less impressed with his poppier influence , while it totally works for me :lol: That said, Every Open Eye is probably still their strongest album for me overall.

Tansike wrote:Strong re-entry for "Delicate". What's the reason behind that? The sudden increase on the latest BB Hot 100?
Yup, watching it finally climb to decent(ish) new Hot 100 peaks lately has definitely had an impact! I've also been revisiting reputation in general, since I hadn't touched it much in a few months. :oops:

Tansike wrote:Also great debut for "Youngblood" - i finally checked it out as well last Friday and got surprised how good it is.
Ha, yeah, it really is a new/different sound for them - but it really works!

Tansike wrote:Aw... "Tilted". Damn. This is one of the songs i'm really annoyed by myself because i never checked this out until like a month or two ago, and i even fell in love with it a little bit, but i was sooo too late with discovering this so i didn't let it onto my charts. No idea why i never cared to check it out. But i'm glad it was such a hit on your charts, 2xP for a French artist seems quite impressive!
I don't think he's posted here in more than a year, but I totally owe Jack for introducing me to "Tilted" (and Christine in general) after he sent it to No. 1. He was charting the English version, so that's the one I fell in love with (though there's still a brief French breakdown in the middle). The video is pretty fascinating and hypnotic too (like a more engaging version of Dua's "IDGAF" vid) :lol: There's a lot to love about the song (and video), but it's her attitude in the chorus that really keeps me coming back: "I'm actually good, can't help it if we're titled..." Although it's not exactly the most mature mindset, I kind of dig the whole "YOU might think there's a problem, but I'M just fine..." vibe.

Tansike wrote:Last thing i'd like to leave a comment is Hilary. It's so good to see "Chasing The Sun" back. I just re-visited "Breathe In. Breathe Out." last week and it still sounds so good. I think this was released during a time when we didn't follow our charts, right? So... how did its track do here? Considering "Chasing The Sun" was a #1 hit and went Platinum i guess she was actually quite successful with a few more songs? :D
YES! I was just revisiting that album a week or so ago too! Although a part of me would've liked to hear a full album in the more guitar-y, summery, Jason Mraz/Jack Johnson-style of "Chasing The Sun" and "All About You," since I loved both of those, the final product still produced some Paulboard hits, the biggest of which were:

"Sparks" = No. 2 peak | 10 weeks total | [P]
"Breathe In. Breathe Out." = No. 3 | 7 wks | [G]
"Confetti" = No. 3 | 5 wks | [G]
"One In A Million" = No. 10 | 3 wks

What are its highlights for you?

phoenix98
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:55 pm

JSparksFan wrote:Wow, I just checked out "Chasing Fire", and it's a bop! "I Like Me Better" is good, but this one is so much better! I'm listening to "Graves" again, but there's something off-putting about it that distracts me from the substantive message you mentioned. I think I just need to take a closer look at the lyrics on Genius to maybe highlight a part that's particularly intriguing and then listen out for that part at least when I play the song again. The Looking away refrain is nice, though. I'll save this and return to it at some point.
:o "Chasing Fire" gets a "Wow" AND certified "bop" status? Now I'm wishing I'd pushed it on you sooner! Really, truly pleased to hear that it made such a strong first impression <3 It's definitely one of his catchiest offerings yet (though the beat in "Easy Love" is mighty addictive too).

Regarding "Graves," I mean...it doesn't contain the recipe for global harmony or anything, but it's definitely saying more than the usual "tee hee, I'm in love"/"boo hoo, I'm heartbroken" pop offering. When we choose to look away/turn a blind eye to these troubling times, we're only making it worse for ourselves (and others). There's some clever metaphors sprinkled in there too, and when you combine all that with such a SUPER-catchy chorus, you've got me hooked. <3

JSparksFan wrote:Great to see "Doesn't Really Matter" and "Feedback" charting. What prompted the return of "Delicate"? Even though "Delicate" is 'technically' superior, I like listening to "Dress" more. It's the falsetto and sensuality that do it for me.
"Delicate" has been kinda-sorta taking off in the US lately (mostly thanks to some slightly-supicious rebounds at radio), so watching it rise to new Hot 100 peaks each week has put it back on my mind, and prompted me to revisit reputation in general. "Dress" in particular is a shining moment that I hadn't played in far too long. Same goes for "Call It What You Want," which I remember you appreciating before I saw the light.

JSparksFan wrote:Big thumbs-up for "Cry"! I think that's Carly Rae's second most underrated song, only behind "Love Again". With "Cry", Carly gives me an electro-pop bop and feels. It's not often I get both in a single package.
Speaking of me not properly appreciating certain songs, "Cry" is still a far cry from my Carly Rae faves, but it gets a LOT of love from fans that I fail to fully feel. Some of Charli XCX's Pop 2 actually really delivers on what you're describing (feel-inducing electro-pop) for me, but I remember you being less-than-impressed with some of the tracks I was charting when that mixtape dropped (epecially "Backseat") :lol: NoOoO rush/pressure, but "Track 10" REALLY encapsulates that kind of experience for me.

JSparksFan wrote:Eh, not really. I just love that expression. :lol:
I fully support you using it as often as possible/situationally-appropriate. 8-)

Thanks again, Akini!
phoenix98
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:00 pm

Paulboard Top 30
Chart Date: 06/22/18

• A stroll through Troye’s garden leads us to his first-ever Paulboard No. 1: "Bloom" (after previously reaching as high as No. 2 with "Lost Boy" in 2016).

01 (16) 05 | "Bloom" - Troye Sivan | 1 (1) | [G]
02 (NE) 01 | "Ocean" - Martin Garrix ft. Khalid | 2 (1)
03 (01) 04 | "Graves" - CHVRCHES | 1 (3) | [G]
04 (NE) 01 | "Body" - Loud Luxury ft. brando | 4
05 (NE) 01 | "Nervous" - Shawn Mendes | 5
06 (04) 02 | "Youngblood" - 5 Seconds Of Summer | 4
07 (NE) 01 | "Why" - Shawn Mendes | 7
08 (09) 05 | "Back To You" - Selena Gomez | 7 | [G]
09 (02) 14 | "Delicate" - Taylor Swift | 1 (2) | [2xP]
10 (NE) 01 | "Growing Pains" - Alessia Cara | 10
11 (NE) 01 | "Fallin' All In You" - Shawn Mendes | 11
12 (22) 03 | "Never Not" - Lauv | 12
13 (05) 05 | "Chasing Fire" - Lauv | 5 | [G]
14 (19) 05 | "Solo" - Clean Bandit ft. Demi Lovato | 1 (1) | [G]
15 (NE) 01 | "Dance To This" - Troye Sivan ft. Ariana Grande | 15
16 (NE) 01 | "Bed" - Nicki Minaj ft. Ariana Grande | 16
17 (RE) 07 | "Silence" - Marshmello ft. Khalid | 2 (1) | [P]
18 (NE) 01 | "Remind Me To Forget" - Kygo ft. Miguel | 18
19 (11) 13 | "I Like Me Better" - Lauv | 1 (2) | [2xP]
20 (RE) 08 | "Scared To Be Lonely" - Martin Garrix ft. Dua Lipa | 3 | [P]
21 (23) 09 | "Track 10" - Charli XCX | 4 | [P]
22 (13) 09 | "Backseat" - Charli XCX ft. Carly Rae Jepsen | 1 (1) | [P]
23 (07) 13 | "Tilted" - Christine And The Queens | 2 (2) | [2xP]
24 (21) 04 | "Wonderland" - CHVRCHES | 3
25 (18) 05 | "Dress" - Taylor Swift | 8 | [G]
26 (08) 04 | "Girls Like You" - Maroon 5 | 5 | [G]
27 (26) 02 | "Middle Finger" - Phoebe Ryan ft. Quinn XCII | 26
28 (RE) 04 | "There For You" - Martin Garrix ft. Troye Sivan | 4 | [G]
29 (RE) 05 | "My My My!" - Troye Sivan | 4 | [G]
30 (NE) 01 | "I'm A Mess" - Bebe Rexha | 30

[GOLD] = 25+ total plays
[PLAT] = 50+ total plays
phoenix98
Legend

Postby Tansike » Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:09 pm

phoenix98 wrote:"Graves" definitely has me hooked, and it's easily my favorite from Love Is Dead, but it also benefitted from a lack of serious new competition lately. Nothing that I checked out over the past couple weeks has really "WOW"ed me, so "Graves" managed to stay on top with lower-than-usual weekly play counts for my No. 1 (less than 10, when they're usually in the 10-15+ range).

Ah, it's interesting that those tracks are your top-favorites, since they're some of the only songs on the album that CHVRCHES produced themselves (along with "Really Gone"). Everything else was done by Greg Kurstin (who's worked with Sia, Kelly Clarkson, Ellie Goulding, P!nk, Lily Allen, among others), so I guess you're less impressed with his poppier influence , while it totally works for me :lol: That said, Every Open Eye is probably still their strongest album for me overall.
Ah, that’s very interesting! But hey, in the end statistics are also worth a lot and it’s the longest running number one single of the year so far, so that’s great.

Really? :o I didn’t even know about that, haha! But this makes sense. When I listen to an artist like CHVRCHES I expect something more alternative and nothing too pop or commercial. Nothing against pop or commercial, I love me some basic bops, but CHVRCHES work better with an alternative sound. Greg Kurstin is fine for me when he writes for Lily Allen or other pop girls, and he’s actually very good at that, but the combination with CHVRCHES doesn’t really work for me as it seems.

phoenix98 wrote:Yup, watching it finally climb to decent(ish) new Hot 100 peaks lately has definitely had an impact! I've also been revisiting reputation in general, since I hadn't touched it much in a few months. :oops:
Nice! I guess I should do it as well, as I also didn’t listen to it for ages. It was more short-living than I expected…

phoenix98 wrote:I don't think he's posted here in more than a year, but I totally owe Jack for introducing me to "Tilted" (and Christine in general) after he sent it to No. 1. He was charting the English version, so that's the one I fell in love with (though there's still a brief French breakdown in the middle). The video is pretty fascinating and hypnotic too (like a more engaging version of Dua's "IDGAF" vid) :lol: There's a lot to love about the song (and video), but it's her attitude in the chorus that really keeps me coming back: "I'm actually good, can't help it if we're titled..." Although it's not exactly the most mature mindset, I kind of dig the whole "YOU might think there's a problem, but I'M just fine..." vibe.
Woah, time flies by sooo fast – I still remember it so well when i made comments on Jack’s chart as well and now it’s been so long since he posted his last update :o Anyways, this is why I like this section, sometimes you discover something which really makes an impact on yourself as well, even though you would have never listened to it by yourself. I also prefer the English version, probably because it was also the first one I’ve heard. Have you seen her performance on the Graham Norton show? I love that one so much!

phoenix98 wrote:YES! I was just revisiting that album a week or so ago too! Although a part of me would've liked to hear a full album in the more guitar-y, summery, Jason Mraz/Jack Johnson-style of "Chasing The Sun" and "All About You," since I loved both of those, the final product still produced some Paulboard hits, the biggest of which were:

"Sparks" = No. 2 peak | 10 weeks total | [P]
"Breathe In. Breathe Out." = No. 3 | 7 wks | [G]
"Confetti" = No. 3 | 5 wks | [G]
"One In A Million" = No. 10 | 3 wks

What are its highlights for you?

Great! I think it’s one of the better pop albums from the past five or even ten years. I still enjoy it a lot and I think it deserved an even better treatment. But I also agree with you and would have enjoyed an album with that summery vibe you’ve described.

Her discography on my charts is:

Chasing The Sun: #18 peak | 9 weeks
All About You: #2 peak | 13 weeks | <G>
Sparks: #3 peak | 14 weeks | <G>

Breathe In. Breathe Out.: #1 peak (x2) | 14 weeks | <P>

Overall, “Sparks” is her most successful song. But going by songs overall, “My Kind”, “Lies” and “Rebel Hearts” are even better and stronger than these three singles and I would have loved if one (or more) of them would have been official singles. Especially “My Kind” (genius pop) and “Rebel Hearts” (looove that country-vibe-dancish-popish-thing). The ones you mentioned are good as well, especially “Confetti” and “One In A Million”. Actually, the album had no weak tracks at all :oops:

phoenix98 wrote:01 (16) 05 | "Bloom" - Troye Sivan | 1 (1) | [G]
02 (NE) 01 | "Ocean" - Martin Garrix ft. Khalid | 2 (1)
03 (01) 04 | "Graves" - CHVRCHES | 1 (3) | [G]
05 (NE) 01 | "Nervous" - Shawn Mendes | 5
06 (04) 02 | "Youngblood" - 5 Seconds Of Summer | 4
07 (NE) 01 | "Why" - Shawn Mendes | 7
08 (09) 05 | "Back To You" - Selena Gomez | 7 | [G]
09 (02) 14 | "Delicate" - Taylor Swift | 1 (2) | [2xP]
10 (NE) 01 | "Growing Pains" - Alessia Cara | 10
11 (NE) 01 | "Fallin' All In You" - Shawn Mendes | 11
14 (19) 05 | "Solo" - Clean Bandit ft. Demi Lovato | 1 (1) | [G]
15 (NE) 01 | "Dance To This" - Troye Sivan ft. Ariana Grande | 15
16 (NE) 01 | "Bed" - Nicki Minaj ft. Ariana Grande | 16
18 (NE) 01 | "Remind Me To Forget" - Kygo ft. Miguel | 18
20 (RE) 08 | "Scared To Be Lonely" - Martin Garrix ft. Dua Lipa | 3 | [P]
21 (23) 09 | "Track 10" - Charli XCX | 4 | [P]
22 (13) 09 | "Backseat" - Charli XCX ft. Carly Rae Jepsen | 1 (1) | [P]
23 (07) 13 | "Tilted" - Christine And The Queens | 2 (2) | [2xP]
24 (21) 04 | "Wonderland" - CHVRCHES | 3
25 (18) 05 | "Dress" - Taylor Swift | 8 | [G]
26 (08) 04 | "Girls Like You" - Maroon 5 | 5 | [G]
28 (RE) 04 | "There For You" - Martin Garrix ft. Troye Sivan | 4 | [G]
29 (RE) 05 | "My My My!" - Troye Sivan | 4 | [G]
30 (NE) 01 | "I'm A Mess" - Bebe Rexha | 30
What a week for Troye! What caused this boost for some of his songs?

Another chart seeing “Ocean” so high, wow! The song is good but it doesn’t amaze me. I preferred “Scared To Be Lonely” (nice re-entry) and “In The Name Of Love” to be honest. And now that I think about it… Martin Garrix debuts with his new collaboration with Khalid due to a new single release; Martin also collaborated with Troye who has a fantastic week, he also collaborated with Dua which is back on the charts and he also collaborated with Bebe Rexha who gets a new entry by herself - everything on your charts is connected with each other!! :lol:

Speaking of which, glad to see “I’m A Mess” just sneaking in. As you know, I’m really into the song at the moment and I think it’s a great pop song, so I hope this may grow on you more. How did Bebe’s previous songs do on your charts? From what I remember she isn’t that big here…

Great debut for “Remind Me To Forget”! What caused this late entry? :o
Also love to see “Bed” debuting. Great collaboration by them, same with “Dance To This” :)

Nice to see Shawn getting some entries after you got a bit more into his album. Also glad to see “Solo” recovering a bit :)
Tansike
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:15 pm

Tansike wrote:Ah, that’s very interesting! But hey, in the end statistics are also worth a lot and it’s the longest running number one single of the year so far, so that’s great.

Really? :o I didn’t even know about that, haha! But this makes sense. When I listen to an artist like CHVRCHES I expect something more alternative and nothing too pop or commercial. Nothing against pop or commercial, I love me some basic bops, but CHVRCHES work better with an alternative sound. Greg Kurstin is fine for me when he writes for Lily Allen or other pop girls, and he’s actually very good at that, but the combination with CHVRCHES doesn’t really work for me as it seems.
Ha, well...I'd forgotten that "Stop Me From Falling" also spent three weeks at No. 1 this year :oops: :oops: :oops: (Though they were non-consecutive, while "Graves" lasted three in a row). Still, I should've said that "Graves" is TIED for the longest-running-No. 1 of 2018. Sorry Kylie!

I think CHVRCHES pull off a pretty good compromise on Love Is Dead, though: a sleeker, smoother, more polished-poppy sound, but with lyrics that still carry more substantive, thought-provoking messages than the usual pop topics of "I'm so in love"/"I'm so heartbroken"/"I'm so horny"/"Let's party!", etc. You're definitely not alone in thinking/feeling the way you do about them bringing in an outside producer and shifting their sound this way, though - it seems like a good chunk of their fanbase would prefer they return to their earlier sound/style ASAP!

Tansike wrote:Nice! I guess I should do it as well, as I also didn’t listen to it for ages. It was more short-living than I expected…
Aw :cry: Do you mean "Delicate," or reputation in general? I'd probably rank "Delicate" among her all-time-best songs, but reputation definitely hasn't had the same replay value as most of her other albums. In terms of Scrobbles:

Red = 1,900+
1989 = 1,500+
Speak Now = 1,400+
reputation = 600+ :oops:

Granted, reputation hasn't been out nearly as long as those others, but I don't expect it to ever catch up (I left off her first two albums since I didn't start my last.fm account until 2010).

Tansike wrote:Woah, time flies by sooo fast – I still remember it so well when i made comments on Jack’s chart as well and now it’s been so long since he posted his last update :o Anyways, this is why I like this section, sometimes you discover something which really makes an impact on yourself as well, even though you would have never listened to it by yourself. I also prefer the English version, probably because it was also the first one I’ve heard. Have you seen her performance on the Graham Norton show? I love that one so much!
Yeah, it's a shame when someone like him drops off the radar here :( That performance, though :o I'm pretty sure I found the right one on YouTube, and it's basically like a flawless re-creation of the routine from the video (but without any editing AND live vocals)! I wonder if that killer performance played a key role in helping the song become a hit in the UK. I like some of the slight changes she made to the way she sings to chorus in that live version, too. Thanks for mentioning it!

Tansike wrote:Great! I think it’s one of the better pop albums from the past five or even ten years. I still enjoy it a lot and I think it deserved an even better treatment. But I also agree with you and would have enjoyed an album with that summery vibe you’ve described.

Her discography on my charts is:

Chasing The Sun: #18 peak | 9 weeks
All About You: #2 peak | 13 weeks | <G>
Sparks: #3 peak | 14 weeks | <G>

Breathe In. Breathe Out.: #1 peak (x2) | 14 weeks | <P>

Overall, “Sparks” is her most successful song. But going by songs overall, “My Kind”, “Lies” and “Rebel Hearts” are even better and stronger than these three singles and I would have loved if one (or more) of them would have been official singles. Especially “My Kind” (genius pop) and “Rebel Hearts” (looove that country-vibe-dancish-popish-thing). The ones you mentioned are good as well, especially “Confetti” and “One In A Million”. Actually, the album had no weak tracks at all :oops:
Ooh...I didn't realize that album had such a strong impact on you :o Had you enjoyed her earlier albums too, or was this her first one to really win you over? It was so ridiculous that it never got another proper single after "Sparks" (especially since the first two singles were left off most versions of the album, so it's like it only had one). :-?

Tansike wrote:What a week for Troye! What caused this boost for some of his songs?
A bit of a video effect, but mostly a Pride effect ;) San Francisco Pride was last weekend (June 23-24), so he was definitely on my mind, being a successful, out LGBTQ artist making super-catchy pop. The perfect soundtrack for Pride hype!

Tansike wrote:Another chart seeing “Ocean” so high, wow! The song is good but it doesn’t amaze me. I preferred “Scared To Be Lonely” (nice re-entry) and “In The Name Of Love” to be honest. And now that I think about it… Martin Garrix debuts with his new collaboration with Khalid due to a new single release; Martin also collaborated with Troye who has a fantastic week, he also collaborated with Dua which is back on the charts and he also collaborated with Bebe Rexha who gets a new entry by herself - everything on your charts is connected with each other!! :lol:
Ha, pretty much! Good catch! My mind/what I'm in the mood to listen to often works that way, with one new release making me want to re-visit another related one, which then reminds me of something else, etc. Although I'm enjoying "Ocean," I definitely agree about "Scared To Be Lonely" making an even stronger impact. It'll be tough for Martin to truly top that one for me - and it was the song that encouraged me to finally start paying attention to Dua! She'd never appeared on Paulboard before "Scared To Be Lonely," and soon after she got her first hit as the lead with "Lost In Your Light," followed by "New Rules" becoming her first No. 1.

Tansike wrote:Speaking of which, glad to see “I’m A Mess” just sneaking in. As you know, I’m really into the song at the moment and I think it’s a great pop song, so I hope this may grow on you more. How did Bebe’s previous songs do on your charts? From what I remember she isn’t that big here…
You're right about that :oops: Most of Bebe's stuff just hasn't clicked with me in a big way. "Meant To Be" is her only Top 10 hit here so far (as the lead or featured guest).

Tansike wrote:Great debut for “Remind Me To Forget”! What caused this late entry? :o
Ha, similar to what I was just saying about Bebe above, Kygo's recent releases hadn't really been clicking with me, so I wasn't in a big rush to check out "Remind Me To Forget" when it dropped. I might actually prefer it to "It Ain't Me" or "First Time," though...or "Born To Be Yours"...

phoenix98
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:30 pm

Paulboard Top 30
Chart Date: 06/29/18

• "All For You" becomes the second Palo Santo No. 1, ahead of its rapidly-approaching July 6th release, giving Years & Years their third Paulboard chart-topper overall.

01 (NE) 01 | "All For You" - Years & Years | 1 (1)
02 (03) 05 | "Graves" - CHVRCHES | 1 (3) | [P]
03 (NE) 01 | "All The Ways" - Meghan Trainor | 3
04 (RE) 05 | "If You're Over Me" - Years & Years | 1 (1) | [P]
05 (01) 06 | "Bloom" - Troye Sivan | 1 (1) | [G]
06 (RE) 06 | "No Tears Left To Cry" - Ariana Grande | 1 (1) | [P]
07 (RE) 07 | "Anywhere" - Rita Ora | 1 (1) | [P]
08 (NE) 01 | "The Light Is Coming" - Ariana Grande ft. Nicki Minaj | 8
09 (29) 06 | "My My My!" - Troye Sivan | 4 | [G]
10 (09) 15 | "Delicate" - Taylor Swift | 1 (2) | [2xP]
11 (NE) 01 | "Only You" - Cheat Codes ft. Little Mix | 11
12 (02) 02 | "Ocean" - Martin Garrix ft. Khalid | 2 (1)
13 (04) 02 | "Body" - Loud Luxury ft. brando| 4
14 (14) 06 | "Solo" - Clean Bandit ft. Demi Lovato | 1 (1) | [P]
15 (24) 05 | "Wonderland" - CHVRCHES | 3
16 (05) 02 | "Nervous" - Shawn Mendes | 5
17 (06) 03 | "Youngblood" - 5 Seconds Of Summer | 4
18 (RE) 02 | "Let You Be Right" - Meghan Trainor | 18
19 (RE) 04 | "Heaven/Hell" - CHVRCHES | 4
20 (13) 06 | "Chasing Fire" - Lauv | 3 | [G]
21 (RE) 10 | "No Promises" - Cheat Codes ft. Demi Lovato | 1 (1) | [P]
22 (07) 02 | "Why" - Shawn Mendes | 7
23 (18) 02 | "Remind Me To Forget" - Kygo ft. Miguel | 18
24 (08) 06 | "Back To You" - Selena Gomez | 7 | [G]
25 (RE) 06 | "No Excuses" - Meghan Trainor | 4 | [G]
26 (RE) 02 | "Deliverance" - CHVRCHES | 5
27 (10) 02 | "Growing Pains" - Alessia Cara | 10
28 (15) 02 | "Dance To This" - Troye Sivan ft. Ariana Grande | 15
29 (NE) 01 | "Palo Santo" - Years & Years | 29
30 (RE) 11 | "Stop Me From Falling" - Kylie Minogue | 1 (3) | [2xP]

[GOLD] = 25+ total plays
[PLAT] = 50+ total plays
phoenix98
Legend

Postby cheapthrills » Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:36 pm

Wow I guess All For You really won the Y&Y battle vs Palo Santo.
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby Tansike » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:46 am

phoenix98 wrote:Ha, well...I'd forgotten that "Stop Me From Falling" also spent three weeks at No. 1 this year :oops: :oops: :oops: (Though they were non-consecutive, while "Graves" lasted three in a row). Still, I should've said that "Graves" is TIED for the longest-running-No. 1 of 2018. Sorry Kylie!

I think CHVRCHES pull off a pretty good compromise on Love Is Dead, though: a sleeker, smoother, more polished-poppy sound, but with lyrics that still carry more substantive, thought-provoking messages than the usual pop topics of "I'm so in love"/"I'm so heartbroken"/"I'm so horny"/"Let's party!", etc. You're definitely not alone in thinking/feeling the way you do about them bringing in an outside producer and shifting their sound this way, though - it seems like a good chunk of their fanbase would prefer they return to their earlier sound/style ASAP!
Oh! :oops: Poor Kylie, being forgotten like this. Not the best sign for “Stop Me From Falling” though :P Anyways, doing three weeks in a row is probably more difficult to achieve, at least I see it as more note-worthy somehow…

True. Of course, their album is still far away from being the typical, generic charts-pop, but “Love Is Dead” is definitely more pop than I expected and also less alternative. But it was easier to get into it that way, everything has its positive and negative things. I guess I need to dive into their earlier albums a bit more. I’ve heard “Every Open Eyes” like two times when it came out and everyone loved it, but somehow it didn’t impress me much back then :oops:
Random side note: The debut album of my favorite Artist (Kerli) is also called "Love Is Dead" :)

phoenix98 wrote:Aw :cry: Do you mean "Delicate," or reputation in general? I'd probably rank "Delicate" among her all-time-best songs, but reputation definitely hasn't had the same replay value as most of her other albums. In terms of Scrobbles:

Red = 1,900+
1989 = 1,500+
Speak Now = 1,400+
reputation = 600+ :oops:

Granted, reputation hasn't been out nearly as long as those others, but I don't expect it to ever catch up (I left off her first two albums since I didn't start my last.fm account until 2010).
I meant “Reputation” in general. I was so hyped for the whole album and absolutely loved half of it so much during the first few weeks, but out of a sudden I moved on and never listened to it again, except for “Delicate” and maybe one or two other tracks.

Woah, these scrobbles for “Red” are insane! :o But yeah, looking at these scrobbles there really was a huge difference from “Reputation” to the rest, despite it having a few very, very good tunes.
I’m actually surprised seeing “Speak Now” so near to “1989”, but as a big fan of that album I’m obviously more than happy! <3 But “Red” being your most played. So you also belong to those who pick that one as their favorite Taylor release? (I guess from the ‘tone’ of how I’ve asked this question you already can guess how I think about it…) :oops:

phoenix98 wrote:Yeah, it's a shame when someone like him drops off the radar here :( That performance, though :o I'm pretty sure I found the right one on YouTube, and it's basically like a flawless re-creation of the routine from the video (but without any editing AND live vocals)! I wonder if that killer performance played a key role in helping the song become a hit in the UK. I like some of the slight changes she made to the way she sings to chorus in that live version, too. Thanks for mentioning it!
Yes, that’s the one I was talking about – what a flawless performance!! Yes, that was the moment where the song started to explode over there. Well deserved, obviously. I love how live performances can have such a positive effect on a song or even on a whole album.

phoenix98 wrote:Ooh...I didn't realize that album had such a strong impact on you :o Had you enjoyed her earlier albums too, or was this her first one to really win you over? It was so ridiculous that it never got another proper single after "Sparks" (especially since the first two singles were left off most versions of the album, so it's like it only had one). :-?
It did… I still remember that time so much, it was so awesome. It came out during a time when it was sooo hot over here, I went driving around with my cabriolet, enjoyed the sun on our terrace back then, listening to this… ah <3 That was my most favorite summer so far, and BIBO played a huge role. Actually, BIBO was and still is the only album I’ve heard by Hilary, I only know a few of her singles but other than that, i’m completely clueless about her discography :oops:
What about you? Were you already a fan prior BIBO?

phoenix98 wrote:A bit of a video effect, but mostly a Pride effect ;) San Francisco Pride was last weekend (June 23-24), so he was definitely on my mind, being a successful, out LGBTQ artist making super-catchy pop. The perfect soundtrack for Pride hype!
Ah, makes completely sense! :)
So did you attend the San Francisco Pride?

phoenix98 wrote:Ha, pretty much! Good catch! My mind/what I'm in the mood to listen to often works that way, with one new release making me want to re-visit another related one, which then reminds me of something else, etc. Although I'm enjoying "Ocean," I definitely agree about "Scared To Be Lonely" making an even stronger impact. It'll be tough for Martin to truly top that one for me - and it was the song that encouraged me to finally start paying attention to Dua! She'd never appeared on Paulboard before "Scared To Be Lonely," and soon after she got her first hit as the lead with "Lost In Your Light," followed by "New Rules" becoming her first No. 1.
Ha, I love that! :)
Ah… as a Bebe fan I have to ask this: And how would you rank “In The Name Of Love” compared to the other Martin Garrix songs?
Anyways, yeah, I still remember how “Scared To Be Lonely” was a hit for you and then you finally checked out Dua Lipa’s album.

phoenix98 wrote:You're right about that :oops: Most of Bebe's stuff just hasn't clicked with me in a big way. "Meant To Be" is her only Top 10 hit here so far (as the lead or featured guest).
Ah, well, most of the world feels the same :oops: :lol:

phoenix98 wrote:Ha, similar to what I was just saying about Bebe above, Kygo's recent releases hadn't really been clicking with me, so I wasn't in a big rush to check out "Remind Me To Forget" when it dropped. I might actually prefer it to "It Ain't Me" or "First Time," though...or "Born To Be Yours"...
Oh, now that’s very interesting! Didn’t expect you to rank “Remind Me To Forget” over “It Ain’t Me” or “First Time”, but it’s definitely a nice, slightly underrated track.

phoenix98 wrote:02 (03) 05 | "Graves" - CHVRCHES | 1 (3) | [P]
04 (RE) 05 | "If You're Over Me" - Years & Years | 1 (1) | [P]
05 (01) 06 | "Bloom" - Troye Sivan | 1 (1) | [G]
06 (RE) 06 | "No Tears Left To Cry" - Ariana Grande | 1 (1) | [P]
07 (RE) 07 | "Anywhere" - Rita Ora | 1 (1) | [P]
08 (NE) 01 | "The Light Is Coming" - Ariana Grande ft. Nicki Minaj | 8
09 (29) 06 | "My My My!" - Troye Sivan | 4 | [G]
10 (09) 15 | "Delicate" - Taylor Swift | 1 (2) | [2xP]
12 (02) 02 | "Ocean" - Martin Garrix ft. Khalid | 2 (1)
14 (14) 06 | "Solo" - Clean Bandit ft. Demi Lovato | 1 (1) | [P]
15 (24) 05 | "Wonderland" - CHVRCHES | 3
16 (05) 02 | "Nervous" - Shawn Mendes | 5
17 (06) 03 | "Youngblood" - 5 Seconds Of Summer | 4
18 (RE) 02 | "Let You Be Right" - Meghan Trainor | 18
19 (RE) 04 | "Heaven/Hell" - CHVRCHES | 4
21 (RE) 10 | "No Promises" - Cheat Codes ft. Demi Lovato | 1 (1) | [P]
22 (07) 02 | "Why" - Shawn Mendes | 7
23 (18) 02 | "Remind Me To Forget" - Kygo ft. Miguel | 18
24 (08) 06 | "Back To You" - Selena Gomez | 7 | [G]
25 (RE) 06 | "No Excuses" - Meghan Trainor | 4 | [G]
26 (RE) 02 | "Deliverance" - CHVRCHES | 5
27 (10) 02 | "Growing Pains" - Alessia Cara | 10
28 (15) 02 | "Dance To This" - Troye Sivan ft. Ariana Grande | 15
30 (RE) 11 | "Stop Me From Falling" - Kylie Minogue | 1 (3) | [2xP]
Nice to see Years & Years and Meghan Trainor having some success with their new songs. I didn’t hear them yet, as I wait for their new albums now. I have to say I’m quite excited for “Palo Santo”, as I really enjoyed “Communion” and “Meteorite” was amazing. As for Meghan, the third three tracks were good, but not outstanding, which is actually why my interest isn’t that big and sometimes it’s cooler to wait until the whole album to get everything at once.

Fantastic re-entry for “No Tears Left To Cry” and thank god “The Light Is Coming” is actually having a decent debut in the Top10! I really enjoy it, but I guess I’m in the minority, not only here on UKMix but everywhere, as the song was pretty much a big flop. That’s a shame, as she started this era with such a big bang.

Good to see “Anywhere” and “No Promises” back. The former still is an awesome pop song, while the latter actually never did something for me until last month :oops:
Tansike
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:40 pm

cheapthrills wrote:Wow I guess All For You really won the Y&Y battle vs Palo Santo.
Hey cheapthrills! Many thanks for stopping by!

Ha, true that :lol: I do like "Palo Santo," though, and it enjoys a nice jump on my latest chart - but "All For You" had me SO completely hooked from the get-go that it totally eclipsed PA last week. We'll see how they stack up against the rest of the album as I dive into it over this weekend. Has this era been doing much for you so far?

Thanks again, cheapthrills! :D
phoenix98
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:50 pm

Tansike wrote:True. Of course, their album is still far away from being the typical, generic charts-pop, but “Love Is Dead” is definitely more pop than I expected and also less alternative. But it was easier to get into it that way, everything has its positive and negative things. I guess I need to dive into their earlier albums a bit more. I’ve heard “Every Open Eyes” like two times when it came out and everyone loved it, but somehow it didn’t impress me much back then :oops: Random side note: The debut album of my favorite Artist (Kerli) is also called "Love Is Dead" :)
Ah! So what's REALLY been holding back CHVRCHES's Love Is Dead for you is that it can't possibly compare to Queen Kerli's album of the same name? ;) Of course no other album could be worthy of sharing a title with such an iconic release!

I was SUPER late to the CHVRCHES party, and only started checking out their albums after getting hooked on "Get Out" earlier this year. After exploring/discovering all three of them pretty close together, Every Open Eye really does feel like the perfect middle-ground/transiton between their debut and Love Is Dead. It has the catchy choruses/melodies that grab my ear, but isn't quite as...polished, glossy, sterile-sounding as the Greg Kurstin stuff. Maybe Every Open Eye would sound better to you now, compared to the slightly-too-poppy LID?

Tansike wrote:I meant “Reputation” in general. I was so hyped for the whole album and absolutely loved half of it so much during the first few weeks, but out of a sudden I moved on and never listened to it again, except for “Delicate” and maybe one or two other tracks.

Woah, these scrobbles for “Red” are insane! :o But yeah, looking at these scrobbles there really was a huge difference from “Reputation” to the rest, despite it having a few very, very good tunes. I’m actually surprised seeing “Speak Now” so near to “1989”, but as a big fan of that album I’m obviously more than happy! <3 But “Red” being your most played. So you also belong to those who pick that one as their favorite Taylor release? (I guess from the ‘tone’ of how I’ve asked this question you already can guess how I think about it…) :oops:
Ha, well, since only half of reputation really appealed to you even at the peak of its hype, I guess it's not too shocking that the album fell off your radar pretty quickly :lol: It was somewhat similar for me too, but more like 1/3 of the album never really clicked with me/I could live without (which is still a pretty big chunk of a 15-track album). :oops:

Ooh...so is Speak Now your Tay fave? While Red leaves you feeling pretty blue? I do love Red, but Fearless has a special place in my heart too. I think it's her best country/pop blend, and it was just such a fun and exciting time to be a fan: watching her score huge crossover hits like "Love Story" and "You Belong With Me" (and even getting her first hits outside the US).

Tansike wrote:It did… I still remember that time so much, it was so awesome. It came out during a time when it was sooo hot over here, I went driving around with my cabriolet, enjoyed the sun on our terrace back then, listening to this… ah <3 That was my most favorite summer so far, and BIBO played a huge role. Actually, BIBO was and still is the only album I’ve heard by Hilary, I only know a few of her singles but other than that, i’m completely clueless about her discography :oops: What about you? Were you already a fan prior BIBO?
It's so awesome how music can instantly transport us back to a specific place and time like that. When you mention enjoying the sun on your terrace, I assume you mean (nude) sunbathing...? ;)

Back when Hilary first started releasing music ("Why Not," So Yesterday"), I was actually pretty dismissive of her trying to have a music career, since it just felt like Disney desperately/shamelessly trying to make as much money as possible off her Lizzie McGuire success :lol: Looking back, she kind of set the stage for Miley (and Selena, Demi, etc.) in that sense. I think it was "Come Clean" that started to win me over, cause I ended up picking up Metamorphosis eventually (then all of her studio albums after that as they came out, though they were usually pretty hit-or-miss overall).

Tansike wrote:Ah, makes completely sense! :) So did you attend the San Francisco Pride?
Yep! Well, partially :lol: A friend of mine from college was visiting and staying with some other friends in the city, so we met up for dinner on Friday night, then went to a (rave-ish) party on Saturday night. I was too wiped on Sunday to check out the parade, though :lol: I've marched in it a couple of times before, and watched it some other years too, so I'd already gotten that full experience in the past.

Tansike wrote:Ah… as a Bebe fan I have to ask this: And how would you rank “In The Name Of Love” compared to the other Martin Garrix songs?
Anyways, yeah, I still remember how “Scared To Be Lonely” was a hit for you and then you finally checked out Dua Lipa’s album.
:oops: :oops: :oops: Well, in terms of his chart history...

"Ocean" = No. 2 peak | 3 weeks total
"Scared To Be Lonely" = No. 3 | 8 wks | [P]
"Animals (Original Mix)" = No. 4 | 5 wks | [G]
"There For You" = No. 4 | 4 wks | [G]
"In The Name Of Love" = No. 24 | 2 wks

...but at least that's better than "So Far Away," which I downloaded, but it never managed to chart. :lol:

Tansike wrote:Oh, now that’s very interesting! Didn’t expect you to rank “Remind Me To Forget” over “It Ain’t Me” or “First Time”, but it’s definitely a nice, slightly underrated track.
Yeah, the fact that I'm used to really loving a lot of stuff from Selena and Ellie might've worked against their Kygo collaborations a bit (since they were especially underwhelming in the context of those two lovely ladies' catalogs).

Tansike wrote:Nice to see Years & Years and Meghan Trainor having some success with their new songs. I didn’t hear them yet, as I wait for their new albums now. I have to say I’m quite excited for “Palo Santo”, as I really enjoyed “Communion” and “Meteorite” was amazing. As for Meghan, the third three tracks were good, but not outstanding, which is actually why my interest isn’t that big and sometimes it’s cooler to wait until the whole album to get everything at once.
I was seriously surprised to see that we're getting an album from her by the end of August, despite how the singles have been performing :o On one hand, it seems a bit suicidal, since the album's almost certain to bomb...but I think it was you who mentioned somewhere that it's kind of refreshing that an artist isn't releasing single after single after single, waiting to finally score a big hit before dropping an album (even if it takes years). This way, at least fans will get to hear what she's been working on, and she can try to win back the public again with album #4 (or maybe some collaborations...?)

Tansike wrote:Fantastic re-entry for “No Tears Left To Cry” and thank god “The Light Is Coming” is actually having a decent debut in the Top10! I really enjoy it, but I guess I’m in the minority, not only here on UKMix but everywhere, as the song was pretty much a big flop. That’s a shame, as she started this era with such a big bang.
Yeah, I've still got mixed feelings about it myself (don't love it, don't hate it), but it's a shame that it did SO bad on official charts :-? Granted, it sounds like she plans to treat "God Is A Woman" as the official second single anyway...?

Tansike wrote:Good to see “Anywhere” and “No Promises” back. The former still is an awesome pop song, while the latter actually never did something for me until last month :oops:
Was it her concert that finally changed your mind about "No Promises," or did something else happen that helped you see it in a new light...? Whatever the reason, I'm definitely glad to hear that it finally sounds better to you now! :lol:

phoenix98
Legend

Return to Personal Charts