Paulboard Top 30 | 12.14.18 | a post-traumatic mess...

Moderators: JSparksFan, tdc2000, FreakyFlyBry

Postby Mainshow » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:02 pm

Thanks for letting "Breathin'" come back on your chart. I'm glad the two Survivors had a little impact on you ;)

Interesting to see Robyn, Christine and Ellie on your chart. They seem to rule it for now ;)

"Monster" is a bit random but I guess Halloween was the reason for it (at least, they played the song on that day here in Germany [radio])). Hope to see Ariana's "thank u, next" debut next week.
Mainshow
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:10 pm

Fan wrote: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
No, lie there indeed :oops:
;) Git it, Fan...

Fan wrote:It is a combination of both, but we are mostly focused on the more serious topics like policies, diversity/inclusive and fighting discrimination. We organise events as well, usually in combination with speakers and activists from around the country. And yesterday I had this very important meeting with basically the board of our organisation.
:o Truly amazing! So you arrange for speakers to come and present in front of your entire company? How'd that meeting go?

Fan wrote:Yeah, that song really got to me. I can't even explain why, but to me it's just the most perfection pop song <3 Absolutely lushhhh!! I do enjoy the whole record though, but I haven't had the time to really explore it. Missing U would still be the clear standout for me. Glad to see you are enjoying it! Loads of Robyn entries this week :D
Aw. Well, as discussed above, you're already juggling quite a bit (man + work + activism + travel + more), but I'd love to know if any other Honey tracks emerge as standouts once you can it a little more attention (especially since "Missing U" has impacted you SO strongly, I wonder if anything else on the album even comes close...)

Fan wrote:Sorry!! It is true indeed that over here she has never been that big as she ever was over in the US, even though she obviously has had hits here as well. I would say All For You was her last big hit around Europe, or atleast here in The Netherlands. Together Again is still very much remembered though, people really loved that song, including me.
I might be a tad biased, since I really love that song too, but I'd say it's among her best-remembered/most-highly-regarded singles here in the States too, so at least the world is (mostly) on the same page with regard to TA being one of her finest achievements.

Fan wrote:Hahahaha, nope nope. My man would never ever go to see a Rita gig :lol: Her barely knows who she is, the only time he has heard her music was when I played it for him. Fair to say it is not his cup of tea.
:o He'd refuse to even GO with you? Damn - I was having a similar conversation with Tansike over in his thread, since his man also has some pretty strong opinions about music (particularly when it comes to dismissing mainstream acts). What's with so many people on a music forum pairing up with guys who have polar-opposite music tastes? :lol: (Must be the d...)

Fan wrote:Paloma is a bit like Adele on stage, just a lot of presence and fun antics. She is adorable. And she does some cute, little routines with her background singers.
Ah, I can picture that. Would your bf be wiling to see Paloma...?

Fan wrote:Loving the #1 as well, Allie X is very much delivering bop after bop these days. I am not complaining. And what a great debut for Loyal <3 Did the music video help with that? It's bloody good.
I see need to check out the "Loyal" video :oops: so its debut was more a matter of seeing the song on so many personal charts (and Zeitgeist Edition hype) that inspired me to revisit it (and warm up to it more).

Fan wrote:Nice one to see Dead In The Water, one of Ellie's best for me and WOOP for CHVRCHES, what caused that re-entry? Adore them, they played over here last week but I was on holiday so couldn't go!
Ooh, since you're familiar with "Dead In The Water," I'd love to hear your thoughts on Halcyon overall! There was a Halloween effect happening there with "Graves," "Monster," "Dead In The Water," "My Blood" (and a big Ellie boost in general due to her FINALLY dropping something new with "Close To Me").

Fan wrote:Can we expect some Spice Girls re-entries maybe sometime soon? I am over the moon with all the comeback news.
I do know and enjoy a lot of their hits, but I'm not actually all that familiar with them overall (I never had a full albums of theirs) :oops: I wasn't really into pop yet when they were huge here, since I was still sticking to the oldies that my parents liked (The Beatles, The Monkees, etc) :lol: I didn't really start coming into my own as a music fan (developing my own tastes and growing truly attracted to favorite artists) until middle school.

Thanks again, Fan! :D
phoenix98
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:20 pm

Mainshow wrote:Thanks for letting "Breathin'" come back on your chart. I'm glad the two Survivors had a little impact on you ;)
Absolutely! It was especially fun to have them running at the exact same time. Ari overload (which is obviously a good thing). ;)

Mainshow wrote:Interesting to see Robyn, Christine and Ellie on your chart. They seem to rule it for now ;)
I'm a little underwhelmed by Honey overall, so those tracks won't be sticking around too long :oops: I totally owe Fan for that fantastic Christine recommendation, and the Ellie boost is owed to her FINALLY dropping a brand-new lead (buzz?) single. Delirium feels like ages ago now...

Mainshow wrote:"Monster" is a bit random but I guess Halloween was the reason for it (at least, they played the song on that day here in Germany [radio])). Hope to see Ariana's "thank u, next" debut next week.
Yup, you're exactly right about that! Damn, I wish stations here would spin that song every year :lol: Seems like I only hear "Thriller" or "Monster Mash" everywhere.

Thanks again, Mainshow! :D
phoenix98
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:30 pm

Paulboard Top 30
Chart Date: 11/09/18

• Ari's probably feeling particularly grateful as she collects her first-ever Hot 100 No. 1 and 16th Paulboard chart-topper with "Thank U, Next."

TW | LW | WKS ON | TITLE | ARTIST | PEAK | CERT

01 (NE) 01 | "Thank U, Next" - Ariana Grande | 1 (1)
02 (06) 02 | "Party For One" - Carly Rae Jepsen | 2 (1) | [G]
03 (NE) 01 | "Back To Life" - Hailee Steinfeld | 3
04 (NE) 01 | "A No No" - Mariah Carey | 4
05 (01) 02 | "Girl Of The Year" - Allie X | 1 (1)
06 (20) 09 | "Cut To The Feeling" - Carly Rae Jepsen | 1 (1) | [P]
07 (NE) 01 | "Baby" - Clean Bandit ft. Marina & Luis Fonsi | 7
08 (RE) 02 | "The Distance" - Mariah Carey ft. Ty Dolla $ign | 3
09 (NE) 01 | "Headlights" - Hellberg ft. Leona Lewis | 9
10 (RE) 04 | "Love Again" - Carly Rae Jepsen | 10 | [G]
11 (RE) 10 | "Higher" - Carly Rae Jepsen | 1 (2) | [2xP]
12 (RE) 11 | "Making The Most Of The Night" - Carly Rae Jepsen | 5 | [P]
13 (02) 02 | "Make Some Sense" - Christine And The Queens | 2 (1)
14 (RE) 08 | "GTFO" - Mariah Carey | 1 (2) | [P]
15 (RE) 09 | "Body Language" - Carly Rae Jepsen | 9 | [P]
16 (RE) 08 | "The One" - Carly Rae Jepsen | 3 | [P]
17 (RE) 11 | "Fever" - Carly Rae Jepsen | 1 (1) | [2xP]
18 (04) 05 | "Little Things" - Allie X | 1 (2) | [P]
19 (RE) 20 | "Let's Get Lost" - Carly Rae Jepsen | 4 | [2xP]
20 (RE) 07 | "Breathin" - Ariana Grande | 3 | [P]
21 (07) 02 | "Between The Lines" - Robyn | 7
22 (RE) 26 | "Gimmie Love" - Carly Rae Jepsen | 1 (1) | [2xP]
23 (RE) 06 | "Run Away With Me" - Carly Rae Jepsen | 5 | [P]
24 (RE) 13 | "E•MO•TION" - Carly Rae Jepsen | 1 (2) | [P]
25 (RE) 05 | "Never Get To Hold You" - Carly Rae Jepsen | 5 | [G]
26 (RE) 05 | "Store" - Carly Rae Jepsen | 6 | [G]
27 (RE) 03 | "First Time" - Carly Rae Jepsen | 9 | [G]
28 (05) 03 | "It's Not Living (If It's Not With You)" - The 1975 | 1 (1) | [G]
29 (RE) 13 | "Hurt So Good" - Carly Rae Jepsen | 2 (1) | [2xP]
30 (RE) 11 | "Goodnight N Go" - Ariana Grande | 1 (3) | [2xP]

[GOLD] = 25+ total plays
[PLAT] = 50+ total plays
phoenix98
Legend

Postby Tansike » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:07 am

phoenix98 wrote:Ha, yeah - I might be forgetting some instances, but I don't think I've ever actually referred to myself as "phoenix" in any posts. :lol:

Aw, I'm sure you're plenty posh even without one! Does your man have a middle name? You might not want to share exactly what it is to protect his identity - but if he does, was it inspired by a relative, or...?
Why did you choose ‚phoenix98‘ as your nickname if I may ask? Is there a special meaning behind it?

Yes, he does have a middle name. His first name is the same like his father, I’m a very bad partner though and have to admit I can’t remember the meaning of his middle name right now, even though I know I already asked him twice :oops:

phoenix98 wrote: :o Could that mean...it's growing on you??? Did the BLACKPINK collabo change your mind? ;) That's a great example, though! Even though I wasn't paying ANY attention to "Last Dance," "Hotter Than Hell," etc. when they were current singles, they still really stood out/stole my heart once I finally dove into her album (long after they'd left the charts).
Hmmm I’m not sure. As you probably already saw, the album only made it back to #17 on my charts. When I was listening to the re-release I realized how enjoyable some songs are though, especially the singles, so looking back at its chartrun from last year, I feel like it should have done better on my charts. The Blackpink collabo is really nice, but I get why they are not promoting it as a proper single (yet).

phoenix98 wrote: :o Damn, you've got some mad organization (especially Excel) skills! Ha, not nerdy - totally adorkable AND seriously useful in plenty of real-world/more-than-just-personal-chart situations! No wonder your boss lets you ramble on for hours every morning, if you're bringing skills like that to the table...

Exactly! You got it.
Thank you <3 Well to be fair I often complete these Excels at work (and doing it early in the morning when I don’t get disturbed by someone :oops: ) …

Makes sense. I’m still thinking about adding plays somehow into my own charts points for certifications. Similar like digital sales + streaming sales = chart points + plays…

phoenix98 wrote:Yeah, the main singles in the US were: "Promiscuous," "Maneater," "Say It Right," "All Good Things (Come To An End)," and "Do It." Some of the Spanish songs might've been sent to Spanish stations, and "In God's Hands" got that random Keith Urban duet version WAY after the era had already fizzled out. In the UK, I'm pretty sure the first four were flipped in release order: "Maneater," "Promiscuous," "All Good Things," then "Say It Right" - but I'm not sure how much that varied across other European markets.
Ah yes, we got “Maneater” first over here and “All Good Things” before “Say It Right”… kinda weird to have these different releases. We also got a proper release for “In God’s Hands” (solo) and “The Busque” with Juanes was pushed as well (semi success in Germany with a #16 peak).
This era was so huge… a shame how she faded away so quickly after that.

phoenix98 wrote: :o Woah! I remember its singles doing well on your chart, but I didn't realize you felt THAT strongly about the album overall! I think I've already said "I should check that album out sometime/I'll add it to my 'to-do' list" about so many different albums that it's started to lose meaning :lol: but the fact that you're THAT enthusiastic about Storyteller should stick in my mind!
:lol: :lol: Don’t worry, I feel absolutely the same and should have started a list with all albums I want to check out a while ago! :lol: Well, it’s one of these albums which are awesome as a whole. I love the singles and the album tracks, but as stand alone tracks I wouldn’t even rate one of them as one of my all-time-faves. “Church Bells” probably comes close but still is far away… but as a whole, “Storyteller” really made an impact on me. I’m not sure if you already noticed that I’m having my own Grammy Awards called Mammy Awards, but “Storyteller” even won the Album of the Year award there.

phoenix98 wrote:Yeah, I remember reading that she was mostly just seen as "Michael's little sister" for a longer time abroad (even after she'd really broken out/established herself as a star in her own right with Control and Rhythm Nation 1814 in the States).

Anastacia is a great example, and sadly, there's SO many others with lengthy, successful careers across several international markets who never got to shine in the States :( Robbie Williams leaps to mind...
True, and she still is to be honest. I think most people only know her from the nipplegate and couldn’t even name a song from her anymore…

Oh, Robbie is a fantastic example as well! Considering we were talking about Rita Ora lately we may add her to that list as well. Ok, she’s not as influential as others, but she’s also so big everywhere except the US, where she’s flopping completely. Sometimes I really don’t get these differences, especially if an artist is successful everywhere except in the US… it would make more sense if that artist is only successful in let’s say Europe, but also flopping in Australia/NZ for example…

phoenix98 wrote:The first 50ish seconds of "The Distance" are so strong...but then it kind of loses steam and never quite picks up again. Caution hype has me playing through all three available tracks pretty often, though, and I LOVE that you're planning to check out Caution in full too! :D
Of course I do! It’s the perfect opportunity and I quite enjoyed the first two singles – plus I need to be prepared for that slayage on your charts :wink:

phoenix98 wrote:YES! I didn't realize (but am SO glad to hear) that "Naturally" has such a special place in your heart too <3 Ha, yeah, I think "Who Says"/"Dices" is the only example of a song that's ever gone to No. 1 in two different languages. "Good For You" wasn't quite my speed. :oops:

Ha, well...after a poor first impression, I pretty much dismissed "Taki Taki" and haven't returned to it since :lol: I should at least add it to see if it's a grower, but since Selena's not even the lead/it doesn't feel like "her" song, I don't feel as bad about just saying "pass."

Ha, sorry - sometimes I'll add more words in an attempt to be more clear/thorough, but I just end up making my point even harder to understand :lol: I just meant that 3,000+ different songs have appeared since my chart began back in 2009.
It really does. But to be fair, all of her The Scene albums had one song which made a huge impact on me („Naturally“, „A Year Without Rain“ and „Love You Like A Love Song“). Amazing feat for “Who Says”/”Dices”, but it makes completely sense! Poor “Good For You”…

Ok, makes absolutely sense. So I guess you didn’t see the video for “Taki Taki” yet? That’s actually a great one and worth one more listen – Selena slays there! :wink:

Ah, that’s what I guessed. That’s a lot, especially for a Top30 :o

phoenix98 wrote:I've never heard Badlands in full :oops: Just "Colors" (and maybe some of the other singles?), after seeing it on Akini's chart. Her Top 10's have been:

"Colors" = No. 1 (1) peak | 15 weeks total | [2xP]
"Alone" = No. 1 (1) | 9 wks | [P]
"100 Letters" = No. 6 | 2 wks
"Hopeless" = No. 6 | 2 wks
"Without Me" = No. 8 | 1 wk
"Now Or Never" = No. 13 | 9 wks | [G] | (Not Top 10, but worth mentioning for its longevity)

As a featured guest:

"Closer" = No. 1 (3) peak | 14 weeks total | [2xP]
Thanks a lot for that list! Well, that’s probably why I thought her debut made a bigger impact, because I remembered “Colors” being such a big hit; but I thought there were more :oops: Very interesting entry for “Hopeless”!

phoenix98 wrote:Hmmm...I guess that's good, if it means the album is consistently enjoyable? Or does it mean the album sounds too same-y and just blurs together? :lol:
More the second… sadly :(

phoenix98 wrote:The double-Survivor-effect! ;)

Thanks again, Marsike! :D
:cool:

<3

phoenix98 wrote:Paulboard Top 30
Chart Date: 10/26/18

08 (NE) 01 | "Ruin My Life" - Zara Larsson | 8
09 (NE) 01 | "Kiss And Make Up" - Dua Lipa ft. BLACKPINK | 9
10 (RE) 06 | "Breathin" - Ariana Grande | 3 | [P]
19 (NE) 01 | "Close To Me" - Ellie Goulding ft. Diplo & Swae Lee | 19
22 (RE) 05 | "Get Well Soon" - Ariana Grande | 10
23 (RE) 22 | "Lights" - Ellie Goulding | 5 | [2xP]
24 (RE) 06 | "Everytime" - Ariana Grande | 8 | [G]
Nice debuts for Zara and Ellie this week, even though I expected both to come back much harder than that. I know Zara isn’t the biggest hitmaker on your charts so it’s actually a big surprise to me to see her debuting at #8.

Love that re-entry for “Breathin” <3

phoenix98 wrote:
Paulboard Top 30
Chart Date: 11/02/18

03 (27) 04 | "Sweet But Psycho" - Ava Max | 2 (1) | [G]
06 (NE) 01 | "Party For One" - Carly Rae Jepsen | 6
07 (NE) 01 | "Between The Lines" - Robyn | 7
08 (NE) 01 | "Loyal" - Paloma Faith | 8
09 (NE) 01 | "Because It's In The Music" - Robyn | 9
11 (19) 02 | "Close To Me" - Ellie Goulding ft. Diplo & Swae Lee | 11
14 (NE) 01 | "Beach 2k20" - Robyn | 14
15 (NE) 01 | "Ever Again" - Robyn | 15
16 (RE) 11 | "Lost And Found" - Ellie Goulding | 1 (1) | [P]
17 (RE) 04 | "Dead In The Water" - Ellie Goulding | 10 | [G]
18 (RE) 08 | "Graves" - CHVRCHES | 1 (3) | [P]
19 (RE) 11 | "Monster" - Lady Gaga | 2 (1) | [P]
20 (RE) 08 | "Cut To The Feeling" - Carly Rae Jepsen | 1 (1) | [P]
21 (NE) 01 | "Baby Forgive Me" - Robyn | 21
22 (RE) 03 | "Honey" - Robyn | 22
23 (RE) 16 | "Something In The Way You Move" - Ellie Goulding | 3 | [2xP]
24 (RE) 12 | "We Can't Move To This" - Ellie Goulding | 2 (1) | [P]
27 (NE) 01 | "Send To Robyn Immediately" - Robyn | 27
28 (RE) 08 | "My Blood" - Ellie Goulding | 3 | [P]
29 (RE) 03 | "Missing U" - Robyn | 10
LOVED that week! Ellie still is one of my favorite artists so even though I’m disappointed with “Close To Me”, I’m glad it brought back so many other songs from her onto your charts. I’m especially pleased to see “My Blood” being certified with Platinum, as it used to be my favorite song on “Halcyon”.

Also, I don’t think I already followed your charts three years ago or at least I didn’t remember it, but so glad how well her “Delirium” tracks did back then! #1 for “Lost And Found”… this should have been a proper single :cry:

We talked about Robyn’s release lately and you said you were a bit disappointed, so it’s nice to see that she still made some kind of impact.

Also glad to see how “Loyal” has clicked with you :D

Ava Max has such a weird chartrun :lol:

Following the disappointments with the new songs by Zara and Ellie, Carly is probably the third pop girl who disappointed me with her ‘comeback’. It’s nice but probably her weakest single since her breakthrough :oops:

phoenix98 wrote:Paulboard Top 30
Chart Date: 11/09/18

01 (NE) 01 | "Thank U, Next" - Ariana Grande | 1 (1)
02 (06) 02 | "Party For One" - Carly Rae Jepsen | 2 (1) | [G]
03 (NE) 01 | "Back To Life" - Hailee Steinfeld | 3
07 (NE) 01 | "Baby" - Clean Bandit ft. Marina & Luis Fonsi | 7
10 (RE) 04 | "Love Again" - Carly Rae Jepsen | 10 | [G]
11 (RE) 10 | "Higher" - Carly Rae Jepsen | 1 (2) | [2xP]
12 (RE) 11 | "Making The Most Of The Night" - Carly Rae Jepsen | 5 | [P]
15 (RE) 09 | "Body Language" - Carly Rae Jepsen | 9 | [P]
16 (RE) 08 | "The One" - Carly Rae Jepsen | 3 | [P]
17 (RE) 11 | "Fever" - Carly Rae Jepsen | 1 (1) | [2xP]
19 (RE) 20 | "Let's Get Lost" - Carly Rae Jepsen | 4 | [2xP]
20 (RE) 07 | "Breathin" - Ariana Grande | 3 | [P]
22 (RE) 26 | "Gimmie Love" - Carly Rae Jepsen | 1 (1) | [2xP]
23 (RE) 06 | "Run Away With Me" - Carly Rae Jepsen | 5 | [P]
24 (RE) 13 | "E•MO•TION" - Carly Rae Jepsen | 1 (2) | [P]
25 (RE) 05 | "Never Get To Hold You" - Carly Rae Jepsen | 5 | [G]
26 (RE) 05 | "Store" - Carly Rae Jepsen | 6 | [G]
27 (RE) 03 | "First Time" - Carly Rae Jepsen | 9 | [G]
29 (RE) 13 | "Hurt So Good" - Carly Rae Jepsen | 2 (1) | [2xP]
30 (RE) 11 | "Goodnight N Go" - Ariana Grande | 1 (3) | [2xP
Similar to Ellie’s case in the previous week, I love how Carly’s new single is able to bring back so many of her pop gems <3 “Gimmie Love” is yet another case of how they wasted a potential hit… this should have been a single over “Your Type” and “Boy Problems”. Also nice to see the underrated “Hurt So Good” being certified with 2x Platinum :cool:

Love those entries for Ariana and Clean Bandit. Ariana has such a strong year while Clean Bandit continue to release smash after smash.

“Back To Life” is a cute pop song but I feel like Hailee can do so much better.
Tansike
Legend

Postby Fan » Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:57 pm

phoenix98 wrote: ;)Git it, Fan...

:o Truly amazing! So you arrange for speakers to come and present in front of your entire company? How'd that meeting go?

Aw. Well, as discussed above, you're already juggling quite a bit (man + work + activism + travel + more), but I'd love to know if any other Honey tracks emerge as standouts once you can it a little more attention (especially since "Missing U" has impacted you SO strongly, I wonder if anything else on the album even comes close...)

I might be a tad biased, since I really love that song too, but I'd say it's among her best-remembered/most-highly-regarded singles here in the States too, so at least the world is (mostly) on the same page with regard to TA being one of her finest achievements.

:o He'd refuse to even GO with you? Damn - I was having a similar conversation with Tansike over in his thread, since his man also has some pretty strong opinions about music (particularly when it comes to dismissing mainstream acts). What's with so many people on a music forum pairing up with guys who have polar-opposite music tastes? :lol: (Must be the d...)

Ah, I can picture that. Would your bf be wiling to see Paloma...?

I see need to check out the "Loyal" video :oops: so its debut was more a matter of seeing the song on so many personal charts (and Zeitgeist Edition hype) that inspired me to revisit it (and warm up to it more).

Ooh, since you're familiar with "Dead In The Water," I'd love to hear your thoughts on Halcyon overall! There was a Halloween effect happening there with "Graves," "Monster," "Dead In The Water," "My Blood" (and a big Ellie boost in general due to her FINALLY dropping something new with "Close To Me").

I do know and enjoy a lot of their hits, but I'm not actually all that familiar with them overall (I never had a full albums of theirs) :oops: I wasn't really into pop yet when they were huge here, since I was still sticking to the oldies that my parents liked (The Beatles, The Monkees, etc) :lol: I didn't really start coming into my own as a music fan (developing my own tastes and growing truly attracted to favorite artists) until middle school.

Yes, basically indeed!! The meeting went very well, thanks x Everyone was very interested and we will have a follow up meeting next week, so that is rather exciting. Some good things could come out of this actually. And I am also in the middle of setting about another diversity & inclusion movement, which will focus on diversity in general (so not only LGBT+, but everything).

Haha, yeah very true. I love Honey a lot, although that certainly was a grower and Human Being is another good one. Nothing comes even close to Missing U for me though!

Ah :D That is good to hear. I never really knew how well Together Again did in the States. It IS such a brilliant song <3
I love All For You a lot as well, the video is super cool, and I always loved the image on the single cover. Son Of A Gun is fantastic as well, slightly creepy, I remember being a bit scared to play that song when I was younger and it was dark outside :oops:

I think he would :lol: :lol: Haha, mine is exactly the same! He basically dislikes every mainstream singer, mostly Rihanna/Miley and Britney. Can you imagine!? I think so yes, nothing to complain about that.

Not too sure about Paloma actually. He does want to see Robyn though!! And we went to see Janelle Monae recently together.

I love Halycon <3
Dead In The Water is certainly a highlight, as are Explosions/Anything Could Happen/I Know You Care. In general just a very strong record, probably her best. Although Lights is very good as well.

Ahh okayy! Yeah, I see. I was completely obsessed as a little boy, and nothing has changed :lol: Have tickets to see them next year (with my man!!!!) and I have been playing their (+solo) music ever since the reunion has been announced. I don; t think there is an act in the world of pop music that I like so much as I like them.

I am neither a fan of Ariana or Mariah, so not familiar with any of their new songs unfortunately! Baby is a fun track though, good to see Marina in the top 10. Always stan for her.
Leona Lewis? Didn't know she had something new.. Have to check that out. Can you believe that my bf, as a Brit, doesn't know Bleeding Love?? :o
i wanna see you on your knees, wanna see you begging
Fan
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:21 pm

So glad you enjoyed those two survivors and I agree, "Monster" seems to be another "Thriller" :D

I am in LOVE with your #1. Totally deserved! What a brilliant choice! The Ariana overload won't end <3 What a year (for her) (and us, she blessed our ears with her delightfoul and immaculate musical output).
Mainshow
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:15 pm

Tansike wrote:Why did you choose ‚phoenix98‘ as your nickname if I may ask? Is there a special meaning behind it?

Yes, he does have a middle name. His first name is the same like his father, I’m a very bad partner though and have to admit I can’t remember the meaning of his middle name right now, even though I know I already asked him twice :oops:
Thanks for asking: it's a shortened version of "crystalphoenix98," which was one of my earliest AOL Instant Messenger names :lol: The idea was that crystal = fragile, delicate, easily broken...but a phoenix always "rebuilds," rises again (and I loved 98 Degrees, hence the "98" instead of my birth year) :oops: Now that I think about it, I'm not sure if I've ever asked the meaning behind "Tansike." #flopfriend

Ha, no worries - you're not alone there! I know my bf's middle name, but I have NO idea why it was chosen.

Tansike wrote:Hmmm I’m not sure. As you probably already saw, the album only made it back to #17 on my charts. When I was listening to the re-release I realized how enjoyable some songs are though, especially the singles, so looking back at its chartrun from last year, I feel like it should have done better on my charts. The Blackpink collabo is really nice, but I get why they are not promoting it as a proper single (yet).
On one hand, I'd really love to see it smash...but that would also mean we'd have to wait even longer for her to kick off her next era. :x :lol:

Tansike wrote:Thank you <3 Well to be fair I often complete these Excels at work (and doing it early in the morning when I don’t get disturbed by someone :oops: ) …
Ah, so that's partially why you show up to work so early every day! Is it harder for you to get those done/focus at your apartment? Noisy neighbors...?

Tansike wrote:Ah yes, we got “Maneater” first over here and “All Good Things” before “Say It Right”… kinda weird to have these different releases. We also got a proper release for “In God’s Hands” (solo) and “The Busque” with Juanes was pushed as well (semi success in Germany with a #16 peak).
This era was so huge… a shame how she faded away so quickly after that.
I'm a little surprised to learn that "Te Busque" was pushed there! I didn't think there were many Spanish speakers/much of an audience for Spanish-language singles. Has she scored any other Spanish hits there? It really is tragic how people were completely disinterested in her follow-up eras :cry: A part of me respects that she did what she wanted by releasing Mi Plan instead of another accessible/mass-appeal English album like Loose, but it's a shame that she couldn't maintain Loose's momentum at all.

Tansike wrote::lol: :lol: Don’t worry, I feel absolutely the same and should have started a list with all albums I want to check out a while ago! :lol: Well, it’s one of these albums which are awesome as a whole. I love the singles and the album tracks, but as stand alone tracks I wouldn’t even rate one of them as one of my all-time-faves. “Church Bells” probably comes close but still is far away… but as a whole, “Storyteller” really made an impact on me. I’m not sure if you already noticed that I’m having my own Grammy Awards called Mammy Awards, but “Storyteller” even won the Album of the Year award there.
:o Woah! So it even became your Album of the Year for 2015! (Or 2016?) This might be a dumb question, but does "Mammy" = "Marcel" + "Grammy"? If so, quite cute!

Sometimes it's tough for me to decide between/rank albums that are more consistent and fairly enjoyable overall VS albums that have some AMAZING all-time-favorite standout tracks, but also contain more forgettable filler moments. Consistently is obviously commendable, but sometimes a few EPIC tracks feel like enough to elevate my impression of a whole album...

Tansike wrote:True, and she still is to be honest. I think most people only know her from the nipplegate and couldn’t even name a song from her anymore…

Oh, Robbie is a fantastic example as well! Considering we were talking about Rita Ora lately we may add her to that list as well. Ok, she’s not as influential as others, but she’s also so big everywhere except the US, where she’s flopping completely. Sometimes I really don’t get these differences, especially if an artist is successful everywhere except in the US… it would make more sense if that artist is only successful in let’s say Europe, but also flopping in Australia/NZ for example…
Ugh, SO sad but true. :evil: :evil: :evil:

I hope I'm wrong about this, but I wonder if it's often a case of international bias by American radio programmers, people curating playlists, listeners, etc. :x Granted, some of the most successful acts of all-time in the US are from other countries (The Beatles, Elton John, Led Zeppelin, Céline, Pink Floyd, AC/DC, Queen, U2, The Rolling Stones, etc.), so maybe it's a bias that's gotten worse in recent years? There's just too many acts that seem to have plenty of hit potential but wind up totally ignored here (Little Mix, Rita Ora, Years & Years, Cheryl [Cole], Olly Murs, Zara, etc). So frustrating, and so disappointing. :(

Tansike wrote:Of course I do! It’s the perfect opportunity and I quite enjoyed the first two singles – plus I need to be prepared for that slayage on your charts :wink:
Ha, good call! ;)

Tansike wrote:Ok, makes absolutely sense. So I guess you didn’t see the video for “Taki Taki” yet? That’s actually a great one and worth one more listen – Selena slays there! :wink:
So I just (finally) added "Taki Taki" to my library after seeing this comment! You've done Selena proud by convincing me. <3

Tansike wrote:Thanks a lot for that list! Well, that’s probably why I thought her debut made a bigger impact, because I remembered “Colors” being such a big hit; but I thought there were more :oops: Very interesting entry for “Hopeless”!
Ha, yeah, I guess that's a pretty random track to be one of that album's bigger hits for me. I can't explain it well, but it has this really catchy sadness to it. The emotions behind her words really resonate with me somehow - and it has a lot of memorable lines. "you know, the good die young, but so did this, so it must be better than I think it is..."

Tansike wrote:More the second… sadly :(
:cry: RIP.

Well, it seems like a lot of critics would agree with you, though. :x

Tansike wrote:LOVED that week! Ellie still is one of my favorite artists so even though I’m disappointed with “Close To Me”, I’m glad it brought back so many other songs from her onto your charts. I’m especially pleased to see “My Blood” being certified with Platinum, as it used to be my favorite song on “Halcyon”.

Also, I don’t think I already followed your charts three years ago or at least I didn’t remember it, but so glad how well her “Delirium” tracks did back then! #1 for “Lost And Found”… this should have been a proper single :cry:
YES! Glad that you enjoyed the Ellie domination. Even though I'm also less-than-impressed by "Close To Me," it was really exciting to finally get a brand-new single (not a cover) from her. I might be reading too much into this, but when you say "My Blood" "used to be" your favorite on Halcyon, does that mean something else replaced it? Something from Halcyon Days, maybe? "Goodness Gracious" is pretty epic. <3

I'm pretty sure the Delirium era happened (or at least started) during my time away from UKMIX (though I still kept my chart going just for myself). I did (and still do) love that album, but even I'm shocked by how big it was on my chart :lol: I think that's partially because I wasn't playing as much music in general during that period, so I basically just stuck to Delirium all the time. It spawned five No. 1 hits: "On My Mind," "Around U," "Lost And Found," "Two Years Ago," and "Don't Panic" (plus "Love Me Like You Do," though I count that as part of the Fifty Shades soundtrack, since it was included there before Delirium). I absolutely agree about "Lost And Found" being single-worthy! The way that era was completely squandered after "On My Mind" still breaks my heart. :cry:

Tansike wrote:Ava Max has such a weird chartrun :lol:
She really has :lol: Halloween, the Ari Survivors, Ellie hype, and now Carly hype have made my chart especially messy lately.

Tansike wrote:Following the disappointments with the new songs by Zara and Ellie, Carly is probably the third pop girl who disappointed me with her ‘comeback’. It’s nice but probably her weakest single since her breakthrough :oops:
:o Ouch. Admittedly, I wouldn't rank it among her all-time-best either (since I ADORE so many of her songs across all of her albums), but I'd probably rank it above at least a couple of her singles (well, above "Your Type," at least...) :lol:

Tansike wrote:Similar to Ellie’s case in the previous week, I love how Carly’s new single is able to bring back so many of her pop gems <3 “Gimmie Love” is yet another case of how they wasted a potential hit… this should have been a single over “Your Type” and “Boy Problems”. Also nice to see the underrated “Hurt So Good” being certified with 2x Platinum :cool:
YES! I vaguely recall us discussing our shared admiration for that hidden gem before, but it's probably my top-favorite on E•MO•TION (though competition is pretty stiff, since Carly's such a perfect-pop-making machine).

Tansike wrote:“Back To Life” is a cute pop song but I feel like Hailee can do so much better.
That's fair. It does seem to fit her sound/style, but I'd agree that it can't quite compete with "Starving," "Let Me Go," or "Capital Letters."

Thanks again, Tancelike! :D
phoenix98
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:30 pm

Fan wrote:Yes, basically indeed!! The meeting went very well, thanks x Everyone was very interested and we will have a follow up meeting next week, so that is rather exciting. Some good things could come out of this actually. And I am also in the middle of setting about another diversity & inclusion movement, which will focus on diversity in general (so not only LGBT+, but everything).
Congrats! So you're about to add ANOTHER movement/group/project to your list? Damn - you're superhuman (which is exactly what our community needs right now, so thank you for your continued commitment to equality in the workplace and beyond) <3 What are some of your goals/visions for this new broader diversity & inclusion movement?

Fan wrote:Haha, yeah very true. I love Honey a lot, although that certainly was a grower and Human Being is another good one. Nothing comes even close to Missing U for me though!
Aw, "Human Being" was the only track to completely miss my first chart after Honey dropped :oops: I'll have to re-visit it in your honor! The highlights for me have been "Between The Lines," "Because It's In The Music," and there's something surprisingly addictive about "Beach2k20" too (despite it being mostly spoken-word and instrumental, which doesn't often appeal to me).

Fan wrote:Ah :D That is good to hear. I never really knew how well Together Again did in the States. It IS such a brilliant song <3
I love All For You a lot as well, the video is super cool, and I always loved the image on the single cover. Son Of A Gun is fantastic as well, slightly creepy, I remember being a bit scared to play that song when I was younger and it was dark outside :oops:
Yeah, Billboard ranked it as her 5th biggest Hot 100 hit overall in a 2017 list.

YES! She's seriously serving SEX on the AFY single cover. You really should do an homage sometime and share it in the UKMIX Members Photo Gallery thread (just make sure your nips are covered, per UKMIX policy). There's definitely something creepy/unsettling about "Son Of A Gun" (easily one of her angriest, most sadistic/vengeful songs ever).

Fan wrote:I think he would :lol: :lol: Haha, mine is exactly the same! He basically dislikes every mainstream singer, mostly Rihanna/Miley and Britney. Can you imagine!? I think so yes, nothing to complain about that.
**Sigh** I don't wanna be too harsh on your man, since I love that you're so in love...but I'm not a big fan of the whole "hating mainstream things simply because they're mainstream and hating them means you're smarter/more sophisticated than general public" mentality. So your friends are mean girls, your man's a music elitist...and somehow you're still this cute, charming champion for equality. They all better appreciate you! ;)

Fan wrote:Not too sure about Paloma actually. He does want to see Robyn though!! And we went to see Janelle Monae recently together.
OK, he's redeeming himself now ;) How was Janelle?!?

Fan wrote:I love Halycon <3 Dead In The Water is certainly a highlight, as are Explosions/Anything Could Happen/I Know You Care. In general just a very strong record, probably her best. Although Lights is very good as well.
OoOh...naming it her best album is a pretty strong statement (though it sounds like Lights is a very close second for you). Halcyon is pretty hit-or-miss for me overall: I'm sold on the first five tracks, but then it loses me during the middle stretch, before pulling me back in with "Atlantis" and "Dead In The Water." I remember having a tough time with the album at first after really loving Lights, since it seemed much darker/moodier. There were far fewer bright, poppy choruses (though they'd make a return on Halcyon Days).

Fan wrote:Ahh okayy! Yeah, I see. I was completely obsessed as a little boy, and nothing has changed :lol: Have tickets to see them next year (with my man!!!!) and I have been playing their (+solo) music ever since the reunion has been announced. I don; t think there is an act in the world of pop music that I like so much as I like them.
Hmmm...so he has zero tolerance for Rihanna, Miley, or Britney, but he's on-board for the Spice Girls? That doesn't quite add up to me, but I'm obviously glad to hear they're an exception for him! Congrats on scoring tickets!! Which show(s) will you be attending, Mr. MegaFan? I didn't realize they were your absolute, all-time favorite act! Which hits are your favorites? Did you ever get a chance to see them as a kid?

Fan wrote:I am neither a fan of Ariana or Mariah, so not familiar with any of their new songs unfortunately! Baby is a fun track though, good to see Marina in the top 10. Always stan for her.
I can't believe you can't appreciate Ari's voice :cry: Any thoughts on Carly, though? Apologies if we've already discussed her in the past!

Fan wrote:Leona Lewis? Didn't know she had something new.. Have to check that out. Can you believe that my bf, as a Brit, doesn't know Bleeding Love?? :o
Ha, well, from what you've been sharing here, it kind of makes sense that he'd never bother with something by the winner of a reality show competition :lol: His loss, though - it's one of the highlights of the 2000's. Even the US, with its reluctance to embrace so many mass-appeal international acts, couldn't ignore that song's charms!

phoenix98
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:45 pm

Mainshow wrote:So glad you enjoyed those two survivors and I agree, "Monster" seems to be another "Thriller" :D
Thanks for hosting that massive one! You had a lot of fun, creative ideas that kept all the rounds interesting (and they allowed me to keep saving poor "Moonlight" for as long as possible...) :lol:

Mainshow wrote:I am in LOVE with your #1. Totally deserved! What a brilliant choice! The Ariana overload won't end <3 What a year (for her) (and us, she blessed our ears with her delightfoul and immaculate musical output).
YES! Praise be! :cry:

Not gonna lie, I was a little disappointed (and skeptical) when it was announced that she was already abruptly moving on from "Breathin" and Sweetener with a brand-new single and album...but if she's in a creative space/state of mind right now, and coming up with gems like "Thank U, Next," that totally works for me! I love how the title makes it seem like it'd be a really bitter/sassy song, with her just shading/calling out all her ex’s…but instead, it comes across as really heartfelt and reflective, with her sharing what she's learned and how she’s grown from each relationship (while getting more in touch with herself too). Truly sweet, inspiring, empowering, and catchy! It's been SO satisfying watching it smash on official charts and personal charts alike <3 As Ari puts it: "that shit’s amazing…"

Thanks again, Mainshow! :D
phoenix98
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:00 pm

Paulboard Top 30
Chart Date: 11/16/18

• It isn't time for the next No. 1 just yet, since Ari's still standing her ground at the summit with global smash "Thank U, Next."

01 (01) 02 | "Thank U, Next" - Ariana Grande | 1 (2) | [G]
02 (NE) 01 | "Love Made Me Do It" - Cheryl Cole | 2 (1)
03 (02) 03 | "Party For One" - Carly Rae Jepsen | 2 (1) | [G]
04 (03) 02 | "Back To Life" - Hailee Steinfeld | 3
05 (19) 21 | "Let's Get Lost" - Carly Rae Jepsen | 4 | [2xP]
06 (22) 27 | "Gimmie Love" - Carly Rae Jepsen | 1 (1) | [3xP]
07 (08) 03 | "The Distance" - Mariah Carey ft. Ty Dolla $ign | 3 | [G]
08 (05) 03 | "Girl Of The Year" - Allie X | 1 (1)
09 (12) 12 | "Making The Most Of The Night" - Carly Rae Jepsen | 5 | [P]
10 (RE) 12 | "Let Me Go" - Hailee Steinfeld ft. Alesso, Florida Georgia Line, & watt | 1 (2) | [2xP]
11 (10) 05 | "Love Again" - Carly Rae Jepsen | 10 | [G]
12 (23) 07 | "Run Away With Me" - Carly Rae Jepsen | 5 | [P]
13 (28) 04 | "It's Not Living (If It's Not With You)" - The 1975 | 1 (1) | [G]
14 (RE) 15 | "Promise This" - Cheryl Cole | 1 (1) | [2xP]
15 (04) 02 | "A No No" - Mariah Carey | 4
16 (RE) 11 | "Drive" - Carly Rae Jepsen | 8 | [P]
17 (RE) 11 | "Guitar String/Wedding Ring" - Carly Rae Jepsen | 1 (1) | [P]
18 (RE) 09 | "Call My Name" - Cheryl Cole | 3 | [P]
19 (RE) 25 | "Starving" - Hailee Steinfeld ft. Grey & Zedd | 1 (2) | [3xP]
20 (RE) 06 | "Stars" - Cheryl Cole | 4 | [G]
21 (RE) 10 | "Mechanics Of The Heart" - Cheryl Cole | 6 | [P]
22 (RE) 12 | "Under The Sun" - Cheryl Cole | 5 | [P]
23 (14) 09 | "GTFO" - Mariah Carey | 1 (2) | [P]
24 (18) 06 | "Little Things" - Allie X | 1 (2) | [P]
25 (20) 08 | "Breathin" - Ariana Grande | 3 | [P]
26 (09) 02 | "Headlights" - Hellberg ft. Leona Lewis | 9
27 (RE) 22 | "Tonight I'm Getting Over You" - Carly Rae Jepsen | 2 (1) | [3xP]
28 (RE) 10 | "Your Heart Is A Muscle" - Carly Rae Jepsen | 2 (1) | [P]
29 (RE) 04 | "Throwback" - Cheryl Cole | 3 | [G]
30 (RE) 23 | "Into You" - Ariana Grande | 1 (2) | [4xP]

[GOLD] = 25+ total plays
[PLAT] = 50+ total plays
phoenix98
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:13 am

Terrific #1! 8-) It's about time we got a US #1 that I can actually get into! Men have ruled (this year's charts, among other territories) for far too long!

I'm delighted to see "Love Again" and "Run Away with Me" - two of this decade's best pure pop offerings. However, as amazing as those two jewels are, the best song on your chart is still "Breathin". 8-)

01 (01) 02 | "Thank U, Next" - Ariana Grande | 1 (2) | [G]
02 (NE) 01 | "Love Made Me Do It" - Cheryl Cole | 2 (1)
03 (02) 03 | "Party For One" - Carly Rae Jepsen | 2 (1) | [G]
07 (08) 03 | "The Distance" - Mariah Carey ft. Ty Dolla $ign | 3 | [G]
08 (05) 03 | "Girl Of The Year" - Allie X | 1 (1)
09 (12) 12 | "Making The Most Of The Night" - Carly Rae Jepsen | 5 | [P]
10 (RE) 12 | "Let Me Go" - Hailee Steinfeld ft. Alesso, Florida Georgia Line, & watt | 1 (2) | [2xP]
11 (10) 05 | "Love Again" - Carly Rae Jepsen | 10 | [G]
12 (23) 07 | "Run Away With Me" - Carly Rae Jepsen | 5 | [P]
13 (28) 04 | "It's Not Living (If It's Not With You)" - The 1975 | 1 (1) | [G]
15 (04) 02 | "A No No" - Mariah Carey | 4
18 (RE) 09 | "Call My Name" - Cheryl Cole | 3 | [P]
19 (RE) 25 | "Starving" - Hailee Steinfeld ft. Grey & Zedd | 1 (2) | [3xP]
21 (RE) 10 | "Mechanics Of The Heart" - Cheryl Cole | 6 | [P]
22 (RE) 12 | "Under The Sun" - Cheryl Cole | 5 | [P]
23 (14) 09 | "GTFO" - Mariah Carey | 1 (2) | [P]
24 (18) 06 | "Little Things" - Allie X | 1 (2) | [P]
25 (20) 08 | "Breathin" - Ariana Grande | 3 | [P]
26 (09) 02 | "Headlights" - Hellberg ft. Leona Lewis | 9
27 (RE) 22 | "Tonight I'm Getting Over You" - Carly Rae Jepsen | 2 (1) | [3xP]
30 (RE) 23 | "Into You" - Ariana Grande | 1 (2) | [4xP]

phoenix98 wrote:I can't remember if I've ever heard your thoughts on Jess before, so I'm really happy to learn that she does something for you! :D

Critics haven't been SUPER kind, and her (successful, at least in the UK) brand of "watered-down"/radio-ready pop/soul does make her a somewhat easy target, but Always In Between really works for me! I didn't pay much attention to her debut (aside from "Hold My Hand" and some of her guest appearances, like "Rather Be"), but the first two AIB singles caught my ear, and I was pleased to discover several other replay-worthy moments on the album. It grew on me even more during my second week with it, as some of the tracks that seemed skippable at first ("Hate/Love," "Won't Say No") started to show their individual charms. There's still a handful of moments I would've cut (especially on the somewhat-lengthy deluxe edition), but the number of keepers (aside from the singles) was a pleasant surprise!
She's predominately been a singles act for me. I don't think I ever even considered listening to a full-length album from her until that comment three weeks ago.

phoenix98 wrote: :o I seriously didn't expect my response to have such an impact, but I'm SO glad it did! Maybe I have better salesmanship than I realize...
You do! :wink:
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:55 pm

JSparksFan wrote:Terrific #1! 8-) It's about time we got a US #1 that I can actually get into! Men have ruled (this year's charts, among other territories) for far too long!
YES! Preach it, Reverend Akini. I keep a running list of how all the Hot 100 No. 1's fare on my chart, and 2018 has looked like:

No. 13 = “Havana” | Camila Cabello ft. Young Thug
“God’s Plan” | Drake
“Nice For What” | Drake
“This Is America” | Childish Gambino
“Psycho” | Post Malone ft. Ty Dolla $ign
“Sad!” | XXXTENTACION
“I Like It” | Cardi B ft. Bad Bunny & J Balvin
“In My Feelings” | Drake
No. 5 = “Girls Like You” | Maroon 5 (Album Version)
No. 1 (2) = “Thank U, Next” | Ariana Grande

JSparksFan wrote:I'm delighted to see "Love Again" and "Run Away with Me" - two of this decade's best pure pop offerings. However, as amazing as those two jewels are, the best song on your chart is still "Breathin". 8-)
I hadn't been revisiting Carly much this year, but I really dove back into her albums when "Party For One" dropped (also driven by the hype for a potential long-awaited brand-new LP from her on the horizon). SO many gems in her catalog, and they haven't diminished in the slightest (in fact, some initially-overlooked ones like "Love Again" just keep shining brighter and brighter over time). "OOOpen up your heart to the ceeeiling..."

JSparksFan wrote:She's predominately been a singles act for me. I don't think I ever even considered listening to a full-length album from her until that comment three weeks ago.
Seems like Caution is (totally understandably) the center of attention right now, but hopefully you get a chance/still care enough to check out Always In Between before year's end. ;)

JSparksFan wrote:You do! :wink:
:D **Mwah** :D

Thanks again, Akini!
phoenix98
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:00 pm

Paulboard Top 30
Chart Date: 11/23/18

• Mariah knows a thing or two about spending time in the Paulboard penthouse, and this week she makes yet another visit with "A No No," her 8th No. 1 to date.

01 (15) 03 | "A No No" - Mariah Carey | 1 (1) | [G]
02 (02) 02 | "Love Made Me Do It" - Cheryl Cole | 2 (2)
03 (07) 04 | "The Distance" - Mariah Carey ft. Ty Dolla $ign | 3 | [G]
04 (NE) 01 | "Play Destroy" - Poppy ft. Grimes | 4
05 (NE) 01 | "Bad Liar" - Imagine Dragons | 5
06 (NE) 01 | "Caution" - Mariah Carey | 6
07 (NE) 01 | "One Mo' Gen" - Mariah Carey | 7
08 (01) 03 | "Thank U, Next" - Ariana Grande | 1 (2) | [G]
09 (NE) 01 | "Velvet Rope" - Rita Ora | 9
10 (03) 04 | "Party For One" - Carly Rae Jepsen | 2 (1) | [G]
11 (NE) 01 | "8th Grade" - Mariah Carey | 11
12 (NE) 01 | "Stay Long Love You" - Mariah Carey | 12
13 (NE) 01 | "Portrait" - Mariah Carey | 13
14 (23) 10 | "GTFO" - Mariah Carey | 1 (2) | [P]
15 (RE) 03 | "Zero" - Imagine Dragons | 7
16 (20) 07 | "Stars" - Cheryl Cole | 4 | [G]
17 (08) 04 | "Girl Of The Year" - Allie X | 1 (1) | [G]
18 (04) 03 | "Back To Life" - Hailee Steinfeld | 3
19 (NE) 01 | "Giving Me Life" - Mariah Carey ft. Slick Rick & Blood Orange | 19
20 (RE) 07 | "Obsessed" - Mariah Carey | 12 | [P]
21 (RE) 04 | "Let You Love Me" - Rita Ora | 10
22 (RE) 03 | "Close To Me" - Ellie Goulding ft. Diplo & Swae Lee | 11
23 (26) 03 | "Headlights" - Hellberg ft. Leona Lewis | 9
24 (NE) 01 | "Strip" - Little Mix ft. Sharaya J | 24
25 (22) 13 | "Under The Sun" - Cheryl Cole | 5 | [P]
26 (RE) 10 | "Cut To The Feeling" - Carly Rae Jepsen | 1 (1) | [P]
27 (RE) 04 | "With You" - Mariah Carey | 6 | [G]
28 (NE) 01 | "Babydoll" - Mariah Carey | 28
29 (NE) 01 | "The One" - Mariah Carey | 29
30 (RE) 03 | "Shake It Off" - Mariah Carey | 4 | [P]

[GOLD] = 25+ total plays
[PLAT] = 50+ total plays
phoenix98
Legend

Postby Fan » Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:12 pm

phoenix98 wrote:Congrats! So you're about to add ANOTHER movement/group/project to your list? Damn - you're superhuman (which is exactly what our community needs right now, so thank you for your continued commitment to equality in the workplace and beyond) <3 What are some of your goals/visions for this new broader diversity & inclusion movement?

Aw, "Human Being" was the only track to completely miss my first chart after Honey dropped :oops: I'll have to re-visit it in your honor! The highlights for me have been "Between The Lines," "Because It's In The Music," and there's something surprisingly addictive about "Beach2k20" too (despite it being mostly spoken-word and instrumental, which doesn't often appeal to me).

Yeah, Billboard ranked it as her 5th biggest Hot 100 hit overall in a 2017 list.

YES! She's seriously serving SEX on the AFY single cover. You really should do an homage sometime and share it in the UKMIX Members Photo Gallery thread (just make sure your nips are covered, per UKMIX policy). There's definitely something creepy/unsettling about "Son Of A Gun" (easily one of her angriest, most sadistic/vengeful songs ever).

**Sigh** I don't wanna be too harsh on your man, since I love that you're so in love...but I'm not a big fan of the whole "hating mainstream things simply because they're mainstream and hating them means you're smarter/more sophisticated than general public" mentality. So your friends are mean girls, your man's a music elitist...and somehow you're still this cute, charming champion for equality. They all better appreciate you! ;)

OK, he's redeeming himself now ;) How was Janelle?!?

OoOh...naming it her best album is a pretty strong statement (though it sounds like Lights is a very close second for you). Halcyon is pretty hit-or-miss for me overall: I'm sold on the first five tracks, but then it loses me during the middle stretch, before pulling me back in with "Atlantis" and "Dead In The Water." I remember having a tough time with the album at first after really loving Lights, since it seemed much darker/moodier. There were far fewer bright, poppy choruses (though they'd make a return on Halcyon Days).

Hmmm...so he has zero tolerance for Rihanna, Miley, or Britney, but he's on-board for the Spice Girls? That doesn't quite add up to me, but I'm obviously glad to hear they're an exception for him! Congrats on scoring tickets!! Which show(s) will you be attending, Mr. MegaFan? I didn't realize they were your absolute, all-time favorite act! Which hits are your favorites? Did you ever get a chance to see them as a kid?

I can't believe you can't appreciate Ari's voice :cry: Any thoughts on Carly, though? Apologies if we've already discussed her in the past!

Ha, well, from what you've been sharing here, it kind of makes sense that he'd never bother with something by the winner of a reality show competition :lol: His loss, though - it's one of the highlights of the 2000's. Even the US, with its reluctance to embrace so many mass-appeal international acts, couldn't ignore that song's charms!

Hey mister!
Sorry for completely missing your chart last week :o Hope everything's well? xx

Haha, I wouldn't call myself a superhuman at all :oops: But thank you <3 Our goal is basically quite simple, we want everyone to feel they are able to be themselves at work, getting empowered and making sure everyone gets the same opportunities. It will be quite a task though to get there, but we have a good team of people.

Oops!! Haha.

Ah, that is awesome! Such a good track, one of those songs everyone knows here as well. Ultimate 90's classic, like Torn/Baby One More Time/Never Ever/Genie In A Bottle/Wannabe etc. Oh gawd, I adore the 90s.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Omg!! Hahahaha. I am not sure if anyone would be very happy with that though..

Oh YES! I absolutely hate that attitude as well, it always gets me so much on my nerves. Just because I like Cheryl or the Spice Girls doesn't mean I am stupid or I only like one certain thing in live. Ugh, I totally feel you. I wouldn't classify my man as that though, he just doesn't like most pop, as he is more into jazz/classical and rock. But he would never judge anyone for their taste, in fact he is probably the most open minded person I know.
Ah, you are a sweetheart <3 And yes, they do :P

He he! Janelle was sensational. She is such an amazing and inspiring human being and the way she commands the stage is simply fantastic. The venue we saw her at is rather small as well, so that gave it an extra feeling.

Ah really? I remember it took some time to grow on me as well, but after that I fell in love with the whole record.
The re-issue was certainly a bit more poppy. I love Goodness Gracious as well.

:lol:
It's his childhood! I am seeing them in Edinburgh, London was too hard to get tickets for and I have never been to Edinburgh so that should be fun as well. Uh, I think Viva Forever would be my ultimate Spice song. Although it is hard, as Stop/2 Become 1/Spice Up Your Life would be close as well. Yours?
I haven't no!! I did see Melanie C this year though and even made eye contact with her at some point.

Sorry mister! Carly is okay-ish. I did enjoy Call Me Maybe a lot and I like Cut To The Feeling, but otherwise she is a bit meh for me. I don't really follow her or her career and just hear the occasional song.

But it's Bleeding Love <3 Who doesn't know that classic!?

To make up for missing your chart last wekk, I decided to check out your #1. It is not doing much for me I am afraid though, current Mariah just doesn't do it for me. I love some of her classics but I haven't liked anything she released after the E=MC2 record.
Nice to see Cheryl doing well in some chart though. Feel a bit sad to see how bad she is flopping and how the media turned on her. It was a bit of a grower for me, but I really like it now. The X Factor performance was fierceeee.

Woop for Strip as well. Great song, even better message.
i wanna see you on your knees, wanna see you begging
Fan
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:15 pm

Fan wrote:Hey mister!
Sorry for completely missing your chart last week :o Hope everything's well? xx
Hey there, stud! NoOoOo worries, but it's very sweet of you to apologize <3 I'm not exactly the most consistent/reliable poster myself (I completely fell off the wagon with our messaging :oops: Granted, I figure we're more-or-less accomplishing the same thing here now), so I never want you to feel bad about missing a chart or two (three, though...) ;)

Fan wrote:Haha, I wouldn't call myself a superhuman at all :oops: But thank you <3 Our goal is basically quite simple, we want everyone to feel they are able to be themselves at work, getting empowered and making sure everyone gets the same opportunities. It will be quite a task though to get there, but we have a good team of people.
The modesty :cry: If only every workplace had a similarly dedicated group of individuals to champion such causes!

Speaking of your good team, have you managed to recruit/convince enough individuals from the departments (like Human Resources, I imagine) that can really implement (and enforce) these changes? The objective does seem so simple (creating a safer, happier, healthier workplace, thus leading to greater productivity/output - sounds like an obvious win-win to me), yet people have SUCH a hard time putting their damn prejudices aside (fighting for their "right" to tell sexist/homophobic/etc. jokes at work, dismissing any attempt at increasing empathy as oppressive "PC culture," etc) :roll: Bless you for fighting the good fight, sir!

Fan wrote:Ah, that is awesome! Such a good track, one of those songs everyone knows here as well. Ultimate 90's classic, like Torn/Baby One More Time/Never Ever/Genie In A Bottle/Wannabe etc. Oh gawd, I adore the 90s.
100% YES! Well, except for "Never Ever" :lol: I had to Google that one. Apparently it was a Top 5 Hot 100 hit, but I'm still inclined to replace it with something like "C'est La Vie" or "Barbie Girl." ;)

Fan wrote:Omg!! Hahahaha. I am not sure if anyone would be very happy with that though..
Well, only one way to find out ;) (Though I virtually guarantee it...)

Fan wrote:Oh YES! I absolutely hate that attitude as well, it always gets me so much on my nerves. Just because I like Cheryl or the Spice Girls doesn't mean I am stupid or I only like one certain thing in live. Ugh, I totally feel you. I wouldn't classify my man as that though, he just doesn't like most pop, as he is more into jazz/classical and rock. But he would never judge anyone for their taste, in fact he is probably the most open minded person I know.
Phew! Shame on me for being so cynical and leaping to assume he's all snobbish/condescending about it :lol: The fact that he's a big jazz fan is pretty interesting! Has he taken (dragged) you to any jazz clubs/live performances?

Fan wrote:He he! Janelle was sensational. She is such an amazing and inspiring human being and the way she commands the stage is simply fantastic. The venue we saw her at is rather small as well, so that gave it an extra feeling.
Fabulous! Yeah, I imagine/envision all of her concerts to be life-affirming events. Such beauty, such talent, such strength.

Fan wrote:Ah really? I remember it took some time to grow on me as well, but after that I fell in love with the whole record.
The re-issue was certainly a bit more poppy. I love Goodness Gracious as well.
Same! FAR-and-away the standout of the new Halcyon Days additions for me too. On paper, I really should've been more into HD's poppier/dancier sound, but nothing aside from the singles ever clicked with me in a big way (even "Burn" + "How Long Will I Love You" are a ways behind GG).

Fan wrote:It's his childhood! I am seeing them in Edinburgh, London was too hard to get tickets for and I have never been to Edinburgh so that should be fun as well. Uh, I think Viva Forever would be my ultimate Spice song. Although it is hard, as Stop/2 Become 1/Spice Up Your Life would be close as well. Yours?
I haven't no!! I did see Melanie C this year though and even made eye contact with her at some point.
Ah, so the Spice Girls were saved by the power of nostalgia, eh? Nothing wrong with that, though - I'm glad to hear he has fond memories of them <3 I really need to revisit their singles (especially the ones that weren't big hits or even released here in the US), but "Stop" has always really charmed me.

Fan wrote:Sorry mister! Carly is okay-ish. I did enjoy Call Me Maybe a lot and I like Cut To The Feeling, but otherwise she is a bit meh for me. I don't really follow her or her career and just hear the occasional song.
:cry: :cry: :cry: Granted, I'm not exactly well-versed in all of your faves either, but I think Carly's one of the absolute best things to happen to pop music in the 2010's. She doesn't get a fraction of the attention/success/credit she deserves.

Fan wrote:To make up for missing your chart last wekk, I decided to check out your #1. It is not doing much for me I am afraid though, current Mariah just doesn't do it for me. I love some of her classics but I haven't liked anything she released after the E=MC2 record.
Damn...but I guess most of the world is with you there :x :lol: Thanks for at least giving it a chance! Although she's still managed to serve up at least a couple of songs that could stand beside her all-time-best ("#Beautiful," "Dedicated"), her output in the 2010's has definitely been her spottiest ever (especially when it comes to some of those stand-alone and soundtrack singles).

Fan wrote:Nice to see Cheryl doing well in some chart though. Feel a bit sad to see how bad she is flopping and how the media turned on her. It was a bit of a grower for me, but I really like it now. The X Factor performance was fierceeee.
Ugh, YES! The fickleness (from the media and public alike) is unreal sometimes - especially when it comes to female popstars, it seems. It feels like they go from having these absolutely massive eras to being completely irrelevant (or just the butt of jokes) in the blink of an eye (Leona, Pixie Lott, Alexandra Burke, Garbriella Cilmi, Emeli Sandé, Duffy, etc). Granted, at least Cheryl had a pretty good run (especially if we count all the years with GA), but my heart still hurts to see just how poorly this new single has done. :(

phoenix98
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:30 pm

Paulboard Top 30
Chart Date: 11/30/18

• Rita soars in at No. 1 to collect her second-ever Paulboard chart-topper with Phoenix standout "Falling To Pieces."

01 (NE) 01 | "Falling To Pieces" - Rita Ora | 1 (1)
02 (21) 05 | "Let You Love Me" - Rita Ora | 2 (1) | [G]
03 (01) 04 | "A No No" - Mariah Carey | 1 (1) | [G]
04 (NE) 01 | "Runway" - Mariah Carey | 4
05 (NE) 01 | "First Time High" - Rita Ora | 5
06 (09) 02 | "Velvet Rope" - Rita Ora | 6
07 (10) 05 | "Party For One" - Carly Rae Jepsen | 2 (1) | [G]
08 (08) 04 | "Thank U, Next" - Ariana Grande | 1 (2) | [G]
09 (03) 05 | "The Distance" - Mariah Carey ft. Ty Dolla $ign | 3 | [G]
10 (NE) 01 | "Only Want You" - Rita Ora | 10
11 (04) 02 | "Play Destroy" - Poppy ft. Grimes | 4
12 (02) 03 | "Love Made Me Do It" - Cheryl Cole | 2 (2) | [G]
13 (NE) 01 | "Keep Talking" - Rita Ora ft. Julia Michaels | 13
14 (07) 02 | "One Mo' Gen" - Mariah Carey | 7
15 (RE) 12 | "Anywhere" - Rita Ora | 1 (1) | [2xP]
16 (15) 04 | "Zero" - Imagine Dragons | 7
17 (RE) 04 | "Sincerity Is Scary" - The 1975 | 15
18 (22) 04 | "Close To Me" - Ellie Goulding ft. Diplo & Swae Lee | 11
19 (23) 04 | "Headlights" - Hellberg ft. Leona Lewis | 9
20 (05) 02 | "Bad Liar" - Imagine Dragons | 5
21 (17) 05 | "Girl Of The Year" - Allie X | 1 (1) | [G]
22 (NE) 01 | "New Look" - Rita Ora| 22
23 (RE) 05 | "It's Not Living (If It's Not With You)" - The 1975 | 1 (1) | [G]
24 (14) 11 | "GTFO" - Mariah Carey | 1 (2) | [P]
25 (NE) 01 | "Hell Of A Life" - Rita Ora | 25
26 (NE) 01 | "We Appreciate Power" - Grimes ft. HANA | 26
27 (RE) 14 | "I Will Never Let You Down" - Rita Ora | 3 | [P]
28 (NE) 01 | "Summer Love" - Rita Ora ft. Rudimental | 28
29 (NE) 01 | "Soul Survivor" - Rita Ora | 29
30 (NE) 01 | "Cashmere" - Rita Ora | 30

[GOLD] = 25+ total plays
[PLAT] = 50+ total plays
phoenix98
Legend

Postby Tansike » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:19 pm

phoenix98 wrote:Thanks for asking: it's a shortened version of "crystalphoenix98," which was one of my earliest AOL Instant Messenger names :lol: The idea was that crystal = fragile, delicate, easily broken...but a phoenix always "rebuilds," rises again (and I loved 98 Degrees, hence the "98" instead of my birth year) :oops: Now that I think about it, I'm not sure if I've ever asked the meaning behind "Tansike." #flopfriend

Ha, no worries - you're not alone there! I know my bf's middle name, but I have NO idea why it was chosen.
Oh, that's clever, I love that!
And don't worry, no one actually ever asked me about the meaning :wink:
It's a name I completely made up. My brother and I used to play an online computer game many years ago, and as creative as we were we started to create our own version of that game. Not on the computer, but on paper, with own town maps, monsters and stuff like that. One of our cities was called 'Tansike', originally coming from the german words 'Tanz'/'tanzen', which mean 'dance'/'dancing' as the player was able to get that 'job' in that town (there was a possibility of getting jobs in every town). While the job itself was always one of my least favorite ones in the game, the name 'Tansike' got stuck with me, my main character in the original online game even ended up with that name after a while and since then it's often my nickname in other things such as UKMix (or Grindr), as I kinda like it.

Oh good to know I'm not the only one :lol: What I know about my partner's middle name is that it was actually meant as his first name, but when the doctors asked his mother about his name, she called his father, and they thought she meant that's his name, so his first name is the same as his fathers :lol:

phoenix98 wrote:On one hand, I'd really love to see it smash...but that would also mean we'd have to wait even longer for her to kick off her next era. :x :lol:
I guess it really looks like "Kiss And Make Up" won't be an official single now... good, as this means there'll probably be new music in the first half of 2019 :)

phoenix98 wrote:Ah, so that's partially why you show up to work so early every day! Is it harder for you to get those done/focus at your apartment? Noisy neighbors...?
I'm working with Windows while I do have an iMac at home, and even though I'm an Apple lover, Excel & Word are easier to work with on Windows IMO. That's one reason, the other is I'm having two screens at work, so I can put the Top40/Top20 Excel on one screen and the YEC/Discographies on the other, which makes it much easier to complete everything instead of switching around all the time.

phoenix98 wrote:I'm a little surprised to learn that "Te Busque" was pushed there! I didn't think there were many Spanish speakers/much of an audience for Spanish-language singles. Has she scored any other Spanish hits there? It really is tragic how people were completely disinterested in her follow-up eras :cry: A part of me respects that she did what she wanted by releasing Mi Plan instead of another accessible/mass-appeal English album like Loose, but it's a shame that she couldn't maintain Loose's momentum at all.
Looking at "Despacito" & Co. Nelly was probably a decade too soon! :cry: But yes, she did score one more hit. "Manos al aire", the lead single of her Spanish album, actually peaked at #2 on the official German Singles Charts, which was quite a huge feat for a Spanish-language single back then.
Hmm... I think releasing "Mi plan" after "Loose" was one of the reasons why she flopped afterwards, but also the long break until "The Spirit Indestructible". That one was still a great success in the German-speaking countries (#3 in CH/DE, #8 in AT) where "Mi plan" was also a success (#3 CH, #5 DE, #6 AT), simply because the gap between these two wasn't the biggest. But all other countries basically ignored "Mi plan", so the gap was six years for them, which is too long for the Pop business... (and let's be honest, she picked an awful lead for TSI :-? )

phoenix98 wrote: :o Woah! So it even became your Album of the Year for 2015! (Or 2016?) This might be a dumb question, but does "Mammy" = "Marcel" + "Grammy"? If so, quite cute!

Sometimes it's tough for me to decide between/rank albums that are more consistent and fairly enjoyable overall VS albums that have some AMAZING all-time-favorite standout tracks, but also contain more forgettable filler moments. Consistently is obviously commendable, but sometimes a few EPIC tracks feel like enough to elevate my impression of a whole album...
It won the Mammy Award for AOTY 2017, which is basically for the year 2016, as with a release date in late 2015 it was still eligible then. Yes! :oops: I came up with that name over ten years ago and thought it's cute. And I always loved those Award Shows as well, so I needed one for myself as well :oops:

So true! I mean, Ariana is probably a good artist for such a problem. "My Everything" has some AWESOME songs ("Break Free" alone slays), but it also has more fillers or track I'd like to skip than "Dangerous Woman"/"Sweetener", even "Yours Truly" is so much more cohesive... ME is more like a best of compilation with a few additions. That's also one of the reasons why I never made a ranking for albums, as it's just too hard to decide on something like that.

phoenix98 wrote:I hope I'm wrong about this, but I wonder if it's often a case of international bias by American radio programmers, people curating playlists, listeners, etc. :x Granted, some of the most successful acts of all-time in the US are from other countries (The Beatles, Elton John, Led Zeppelin, Céline, Pink Floyd, AC/DC, Queen, U2, The Rolling Stones, etc.), so maybe it's a bias that's gotten worse in recent years? There's just too many acts that seem to have plenty of hit potential but wind up totally ignored here (Little Mix, Rita Ora, Years & Years, Cheryl [Cole], Olly Murs, Zara, etc). So frustrating, and so disappointing. :(
That would be the most obvious reason for that. Do you feel like that's a problem by American radios? As you say, all of these artists are from previous decades... that's actually a very interesting point! But the bigger market you're coming from, the easier it is to reach other markets as well... I always thought why is it so easy for someone from the US to break through everywhere... for someone from Germany to break through in all German speaking countries... for someone from the UK to break through in Europe... but for someone in Switzerland to break through in 'just' Germany for example, that's basically impossible!

phoenix98 wrote:So I just (finally) added "Taki Taki" to my library after seeing this comment! You've done Selena proud by convincing me. <3
Yay! Granted, I'm not the biggest fan of "Taki Taki" by myself and iirc it actually never appeared on your charts after that comment, but adding it to your library is already a good move! Have you seen the video? I really think it's one of the better ones this year, a shame it's not for a better song :x

phoenix98 wrote:Ha, yeah, I guess that's a pretty random track to be one of that album's bigger hits for me. I can't explain it well, but it has this really catchy sadness to it. The emotions behind her words really resonate with me somehow - and it has a lot of memorable lines. "you know, the good die young, but so did this, so it must be better than I think it is..."
I get what you mean. It's a good closer for a strong album and it's still an awesome song... It just feels like it's not a proper song somehow.

phoenix98 wrote:YES! Glad that you enjoyed the Ellie domination. Even though I'm also less-than-impressed by "Close To Me," it was really exciting to finally get a brand-new single (not a cover) from her. I might be reading too much into this, but when you say "My Blood" "used to be" your favorite on Halcyon, does that mean something else replaced it? Something from Halcyon Days, maybe? "Goodness Gracious" is pretty epic. <3

I'm pretty sure the Delirium era happened (or at least started) during my time away from UKMIX (though I still kept my chart going just for myself). I did (and still do) love that album, but even I'm shocked by how big it was on my chart :lol: I think that's partially because I wasn't playing as much music in general during that period, so I basically just stuck to Delirium all the time. It spawned five No. 1 hits: "On My Mind," "Around U," "Lost And Found," "Two Years Ago," and "Don't Panic" (plus "Love Me Like You Do," though I count that as part of the Fifty Shades soundtrack, since it was included there before Delirium). I absolutely agree about "Lost And Found" being single-worthy! The way that era was completely squandered after "On My Mind" still breaks my heart. :cry:
I wrote 'used to be' because I haven't heard "Halcyon"/"Halcyon Days" in full in ages, but the last time I did "My Blood" still was my favorite one of the album(s) and even one of my most favorite tracks by Ellie ever. Unfortunately, "Goodness Gracious" never really impressed me as much as many other songs from that release :(

Ah, that's interesting! Quite a lot of #1s, which is good for Ellie!
Since she had so many successful hits from "Halcyon"/"Halcyon Days" and "Delirium", did you also check out "Lights"/"Bright Lights"? Personally I think she has such a strong discography with these three eras and even though she's quite successful, she still is underrated compared to many other 'pop girls'.

phoenix98 wrote: :o Ouch. Admittedly, I wouldn't rank it among her all-time-best either (since I ADORE so many of her songs across all of her albums), but I'd probably rank it above at least a couple of her singles (well, above "Your Type," at least...) :lol:
"Boy Problems" and "Your Type" are definitely battling with "Party For One" when it comes to the weakest Carly single for me :(

phoenix98 wrote:YES! I vaguely recall us discussing our shared admiration for that hidden gem before, but it's probably my top-favorite on E•MO•TION (though competition is pretty stiff, since Carly's such a perfect-pop-making machine).
This era would have been perfection if she would have released "Gimmie Love" and "LA Hallucination" instead of "Your Type" and "Boy Problems" :cry:

phoenix98 wrote:Thanks again, Tancelike! :D
<3 <3 <3

phoenix98 wrote:Chart Date: 11/30/18

05 (NE) 01 | "First Time High" - Rita Ora | 5
11 (04) 02 | "Play Destroy" - Poppy ft. Grimes | 4
13 (NE) 01 | "Keep Talking" - Rita Ora ft. Julia Michaels | 13
18 (22) 04 | "Close To Me" - Ellie Goulding ft. Diplo & Swae Lee | 11
22 (NE) 01 | "New Look" - Rita Ora| 22
26 (NE) 01 | "We Appreciate Power" - Grimes ft. HANA | 26
Very strong week!
Love how Rita is slaying that way. I didn't expect her to do that well just a week after Mariah's release to be honest, but I obviously don't want to complain because I love "Phoenix" as well. It turned out as the strong pop album I was hoping for and it's good that there's still so much to discover and not just an album with all the singles + some additions. It's even too difficult for me to pick a few of the album tracks as my highlight(s) as they are all on a similar level for me, which is a very high one!

Love those appearances for "Play Destroy" and the early entry for "We Appreciate Power". Fingers crossed for a climb for the latter next week considering how well Grimes did on your charts with "Art Angels". How do you like the song so far?

By the way... as one of our most popular members in the Personal Charts section I would love if you'd take a few minutes and vote for your favorite Personal Charts for the UKMIX :: Personal Chart of the Year 2018 countdown. Click here for the instructions. The voting period already ends on the 7th December, so just a week left in case if you'd really like to vote :)
Tansike
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:34 pm

Now, come all the way through with this fabulous #1, Paul! :cry: I really hope Rita and her team see the magic in that song, and push it as an 'official' single. It deserves to be a global chart-topper! I don't know if this is a morbid thing for me to think of, but if it's released right now, it can peak around Valentine's Day, and be a very relatable song for people to emotionally bop to, especially around that period. :oops: Either way, it's perfect for an autumn or winter release.

"Let You Love Me" has grown on me quite a bit, too, so great to see that one soar 21-2! Nice to see "Runway" debut in the top 5, even if it is my least favourite on the album. There's actually a funny story about "Runway" that I won't be able to share until my year-end albums countdown is complete.

Oh, and I know I've shared less-than-glowing remarks about "Girl of the Year", but I adore it now! :D

04 (NE) 01 | "Runway" - Mariah Carey | 4
07 (10) 05 | "Party For One" - Carly Rae Jepsen | 2 (1) | [G]
12 (02) 03 | "Love Made Me Do It" - Cheryl Cole | 2 (2) | [G]
19 (23) 04 | "Headlights" - Hellberg ft. Leona Lewis | 9
21 (17) 05 | "Girl Of The Year" - Allie X | 1 (1) | [G]

phoenix98 wrote:YES! Preach it, Reverend Akini. I keep a running list of how all the Hot 100 No. 1's fare on my chart, and 2018 has looked like:

No. 13 = “Havana” | Camila Cabello ft. Young Thug
“God’s Plan” | Drake
“Nice For What” | Drake
“This Is America” | Childish Gambino
“Psycho” | Post Malone ft. Ty Dolla $ign
“Sad!” | XXXTENTACION
“I Like It” | Cardi B ft. Bad Bunny & J Balvin
“In My Feelings” | Drake
No. 5 = “Girls Like You” | Maroon 5 (Album Version)
No. 1 (2) = “Thank U, Next” | Ariana Grande
Wow, tings been tuff! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think I at least charted, however briefly, "God's Plan", "Nice for What", "This Is America", "I Like It", and "In My Feelings" from the strike-out list, but each year the Billboard Hot 100 and my personal Hot 100 look more and more different.

phoenix98 wrote:I hadn't been revisiting Carly much this year, but I really dove back into her albums when "Party For One" dropped (also driven by the hype for a potential long-awaited brand-new LP from her on the horizon). SO many gems in her catalog, and they haven't diminished in the slightest (in fact, some initially-overlooked ones like "Love Again" just keep shining brighter and brighter over time). "OOOpen up your heart to the ceeeiling..."
Don't you know it hurts for a reason
Time will take you back to believing
You'll learn to love again

She came for my feels with that song. Just a bit. :cry: :cry: :cry:

phoenix98 wrote:Seems like Caution is (totally understandably) the center of attention right now, but hopefully you get a chance/still care enough to check out Always In Between before year's end. ;)
Okay, so this definitely won't be happening (not with year-end countdown commitments, plus I already met my 25-album minimum), but maybe early 2019!

phoenix98 wrote: :D **Mwah** :D
Cute!
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby cheapthrills » Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:00 pm

Oh so someone really likes Rita Ora's new album. I haven't heard all of the tracks, but my favorite so far, but my favorite so far is the one you have ranked lowest - Cashmere :lol: I think it has a really sexy vibe to it, and her voice sounds enveloping and warm like a good cashmere shirt should be :)

Are you not feeling the Ellie song so much? I was really interested at first, but it's not getting the repeated plays I thought it would.
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby phoenix98 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:15 pm

Tansike wrote:Oh, that's clever, I love that! And don't worry, no one actually ever asked me about the meaning :wink:
It's a name I completely made up. My brother and I used to play an online computer game many years ago, and as creative as we were we started to create our own version of that game. Not on the computer, but on paper, with own town maps, monsters and stuff like that. One of our cities was called 'Tansike', originally coming from the german words 'Tanz'/'tanzen', which mean 'dance'/'dancing' as the player was able to get that 'job' in that town (there was a possibility of getting jobs in every town). While the job itself was always one of my least favorite ones in the game, the name 'Tansike' got stuck with me, my main character in the original online game even ended up with that name after a while and since then it's often my nickname in other things such as UKMix (or Grindr), as I kinda like it.

Oh good to know I'm not the only one :lol: What I know about my partner's middle name is that it was actually meant as his first name, but when the doctors asked his mother about his name, she called his father, and they thought she meant that's his name, so his first name is the same as his fathers :lol:
Thanks! Damn, you're so creative - that game reminds me of the awesome Pokémon/Yu-Gi-Oh/Digimon (and others?) fusion comic you described a while back. So the job in Tansike was always to be a dancer, eh? Do you and your brother ever play games together now (not necessarily this specific one, but any board or video games in general)? Ha, I'm sure you could call yourself whatever you'd like in that app and still get offers 24/7/365. ;)

:lol: It's pretty hilarious that your partner got that name for life simply because of a little miscommunication/misunderstanding.

Tansike wrote:I'm working with Windows while I do have an iMac at home, and even though I'm an Apple lover, Excel & Word are easier to work with on Windows IMO. That's one reason, the other is I'm having two screens at work, so I can put the Top40/Top20 Excel on one screen and the YEC/Discographies on the other, which makes it much easier to complete everything instead of switching around all the time.
Ah, that makes perfect sense! I'd always used PCs until I recently started using a Mac at home (a hand-me-down from my bf), but I definitely still need Word/Excel/etc. on it to get anything done. I'm so familiar/comfortable with those programs after all these years, and I know they have everything that I need to get stuff done.

Tansike wrote:Looking at "Despacito" & Co. Nelly was probably a decade too soon! :cry: But yes, she did score one more hit. "Manos al aire", the lead single of her Spanish album, actually peaked at #2 on the official German Singles Charts, which was quite a huge feat for a Spanish-language single back then.
Hmm... I think releasing "Mi plan" after "Loose" was one of the reasons why she flopped afterwards, but also the long break until "The Spirit Indestructible". That one was still a great success in the German-speaking countries (#3 in CH/DE, #8 in AT) where "Mi plan" was also a success (#3 CH, #5 DE, #6 AT), simply because the gap between these two wasn't the biggest. But all other countries basically ignored "Mi plan", so the gap was six years for them, which is too long for the Pop business... (and let's be honest, she picked an awful lead for TSI :-? )
Interesting! So Germany, Switzerland, and Austria have actually been some of Nelly's most consistent markets over the years. I thought that TSI had flopped basically everywhere, but those countries seem to be the exceptions! That seems pretty random (especially for her Spanish material to do so well there), but I'm glad there's at least some places on the planet that never stopped appreciating her! ;)

(Admittedly, I never checked out Mi Plan or TSI in full...)

Tansike wrote:So true! I mean, Ariana is probably a good artist for such a problem. "My Everything" has some AWESOME songs ("Break Free" alone slays), but it also has more fillers or track I'd like to skip than "Dangerous Woman"/"Sweetener", even "Yours Truly" is so much more cohesive... ME is more like a best of compilation with a few additions. That's also one of the reasons why I never made a ranking for albums, as it's just too hard to decide on something like that.
**Nod** Great example! Usually, even at her "worst," Ari's material is still at least mildly enjoyable for me...but "Hands On Me" is just unlistenable :oops: The ballads on that album kind of blur together too (with the title track being especially forgettable).

Tansike wrote:That would be the most obvious reason for that. Do you feel like that's a problem by American radios? As you say, all of these artists are from previous decades... that's actually a very interesting point! But the bigger market you're coming from, the easier it is to reach other markets as well... I always thought why is it so easy for someone from the US to break through everywhere... for someone from Germany to break through in all German speaking countries... for someone from the UK to break through in Europe... but for someone in Switzerland to break through in 'just' Germany for example, that's basically impossible!
It's hard to say for sure, since my impressions are often influenced by my own cynicism :lol: and I hardly ever listen to the radio anymore. I still can't forget/get over "Gangnam Style" missing out on No. 1 because radio wouldn't/couldn't embrace an entirely non-English song (and YouTube didn't factor into the Hot 100 back then). I definitely wish the US was as willing to "import" acts from other countries as we are "exporting" our acts to smash in other markets around the globe.

Tansike wrote:Yay! Granted, I'm not the biggest fan of "Taki Taki" by myself and iirc it actually never appeared on your charts after that comment, but adding it to your library is already a good move! Have you seen the video? I really think it's one of the better ones this year, a shame it's not for a better song :x
Ooh...the whole erupting-volcano aesthetic is pretty awesome, and DAMN does Selena look good with that tousled-sex hair! :oops: :oops: :oops:

Tansike wrote:I get what you mean. It's a good closer for a strong album and it's still an awesome song... It just feels like it's not a proper song somehow.
Now that you mention it, I can see/understand that. Something about it does feel more like an interlude or outro (even though it's a full 3 minutes long).

Tansike wrote:Since she had so many successful hits from "Halcyon"/"Halcyon Days" and "Delirium", did you also check out "Lights"/"Bright Lights"? Personally I think she has such a strong discography with these three eras and even though she's quite successful, she still is underrated compared to many other 'pop girls'.
Yep, and it's probably still my favorite album of hers overall (though it's a close call with Delirium). She's gotten a fair amount of recognition in the UK over the years (though it seems like that's fading based on the performance of "Close To Me" so far), but I'd say she's DEFINITELY underrated in the US (and probably elsewhere too).

Tansike wrote:"Boy Problems" and "Your Type" are definitely battling with "Party For One" when it comes to the weakest Carly single for me :(
I've got a soft spot for BP <3 but most fans seem to think it never should've been a single. :lol:

Tansike wrote:This era would have been perfection if she would have released "Gimmie Love" and "LA Hallucination" instead of "Your Type" and "Boy Problems" :cry:
Ooh...interesting pick! I almost always skipped over that one when E•MO•TION first dropped, and although it's grown on me a little over time, it's still toward the bottom of that album for me. :oops:

Tansike wrote:Love how Rita is slaying that way. I didn't expect her to do that well just a week after Mariah's release to be honest, but I obviously don't want to complain because I love "Phoenix" as well. It turned out as the strong pop album I was hoping for and it's good that there's still so much to discover and not just an album with all the singles + some additions. It's even too difficult for me to pick a few of the album tracks as my highlight(s) as they are all on a similar level for me, which is a very high one!
Yeah, Mariah had the somewhat-unfortunate luck of dropping her album right before two other highly-anticipated releases (from Rita and The 1975). Caution's also more subtle/more of a grower, whereas Phoenix is packed with more instant/in-your-face-catchy pop.

Tansike wrote:Love those appearances for "Play Destroy" and the early entry for "We Appreciate Power". Fingers crossed for a climb for the latter next week considering how well Grimes did on your charts with "Art Angels". How do you like the song so far?
Mixed feelings. The lyric video is AWESOME, but the song itself does get really repetitive. It's not quite as "out-there"/hard-to-swallow as something like "Scream" from Art Angels, but I don't see myself getting SUPER hooked on it. That "what will it take, to make you capitulate?" certainly sticks in your head right away, though!

Tansike wrote:By the way... as one of our most popular members in the Personal Charts section I would love if you'd take a few minutes and vote for your favorite Personal Charts for the UKMIX :: Personal Chart of the Year 2018 countdown. Click here for the instructions. The voting period already ends on the 7th December, so just a week left in case if you'd really like to vote :)
Huge thanks for the reminder!

Thanks again, Tansike! :D
phoenix98
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:30 pm

JSparksFan wrote:Now, come all the way through with this fabulous #1, Paul! :cry: I really hope Rita and her team see the magic in that song, and push it as an 'official' single. It deserves to be a global chart-topper! I don't know if this is a morbid thing for me to think of, but if it's released right now, it can peak around Valentine's Day, and be a very relatable song for people to emotionally bop to, especially around that period. :oops: Either way, it's perfect for an autumn or winter release.
It's even Potter-approved :cry: It's been heartwarming to see a decent amount of consensus regarding that song's appeal (at least between you, Jake, and myself, though it's doing well in the Pop section poll too). I can KIND of understand what her team sees in "Only Want You," but I'd MUCH rather have them push this instead. I can't @ you plotting to make it a bitter anti-Valentine's Day-anthem, though... :lol:

JSparksFan wrote:"Let You Love Me" has grown on me quite a bit, too, so great to see that one soar 21-2! Nice to see "Runway" debut in the top 5, even if it is my least favourite on the album. There's actually a funny story about "Runway" that I won't be able to share until my year-end albums countdown is complete.
Damn. Well, hopefully it can work its way up from that dead-last position someday. For me, it was an immediate relief to finally hear another instantly-appealing track on this generally patience-requiring/slow-burn album. This story of yours better not be 99% shade... ;)

JSparksFan wrote:Oh, and I know I've shared less-than-glowing remarks about "Girl of the Year", but I adore it now! :D
Success! I didn't realize you really hated "Girl Of The Year" at one point (I thought that was just the case for "Little Things"), since you were charting it before I did.

JSparksFan wrote:I think I at least charted, however briefly, "God's Plan", "Nice for What", "This Is America", "I Like It", and "In My Feelings" from the strike-out list, but each year the Billboard Hot 100 and my personal Hot 100 look more and more different.
Ha, yeah, that list does make it look especially brutal. I should clarify that I don't completely hate all of those No. 1's that failed to chart here - some of them just never hooked me quite enough to play them more than one or twice in any given week. If YouTube/video views counted for my chart, "This Is America" absolutely would've appeared.

Thanks again, Akini! :D
phoenix98
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:45 pm

cheapthrills wrote:Oh so someone really likes Rita Ora's new album. I haven't heard all of the tracks, but my favorite so far, but my favorite so far is the one you have ranked lowest - Cashmere :lol: I think it has a really sexy vibe to it, and her voice sounds enveloping and warm like a good cashmere shirt should be :)
Unfortunately, "Cashmere" is a strong contender for my least-favorite moment on Phoenix :oops: but I've seen a fair amount of praise for it, so I must be missing something. You do a nice job of selling it by comparing the sound of the song to the feel of its sumptuous titular fabric!

I didn't pay much attention to Rita during her debut era ("How We Do (Party)" was cute, but I didn't care for "R.I.P."), then I LOVED "I Will Never Let You Down" (but no album ever materialized) :( She really reeled me in again with most of the Phoenix singles/preview tracks, and there were even more gems to discover on the full album.

cheapthrills wrote:Are you not feeling the Ellie song so much? I was really interested at first, but it's not getting the repeated plays I thought it would.
I've still got mixed feelings about "Close To Me," which is why it's had a fairly-underwhelming run here (19 - *11* - OUT - 22 - 18 - ??), considering Ellie's smashed HARD in the past. Her first verse is such instantly-infectious ear candy, but then the chorus is a bit of a let-down, and I'm not a huge fan of some of Swae's lines (it's just jarring to hear a guy saying "I had to cut my bitch off, she bein' stubborn" in the middle of an Ellie Goulding song) :lol: Still, I hope it does well enough on official charts so we can get more new material from her soon (no pushbacks or delays, plz). **Fingers crossed**

Thanks again, cheapthrills! :D
phoenix98
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:00 pm

Paulboard Top 30
Chart Date: 12/07/18

• 2018 continues to be a landmark year for The 1975, as they collect their third No. 1 (fourth overall) and occupy 80% of the latest Top 5.

01 (NE) 01 | "Surrounded By Heads And Bodies" - The 1975 | 1 (1)
02 (NE) 01 | "I Couldn't Be More In Love" - The 1975 | 2 (1)
03 (01) 02 | "Falling To Pieces" - Rita Ora | 1 (1) | [G]
04 (NE) 01 | "I Always Wanna Die (Sometimes)" - The 1975 | 4
05 (17) 05 | "Sincerity Is Scary" - The 1975 | 5 | [G]
06 (04) 02 | "Runway" - Mariah Carey | 4
07 (NE) 01 | "I Like America & America Likes Me" - The 1975 | 7
08 (13) 02 | "Keep Talking" - Rita Ora ft. Julia Michaels | 8
09 (07) 06 | "Party For One" - Carly Rae Jepsen | 2 (1) | [P]
10 (18) 05 | "Close To Me" - Ellie Goulding ft. Diplo & Swae Lee | 10 | [G]
11 (19) 05 | "Headlights" - Hellberg ft. Leona Lewis | 9 | [G]
12 (05) 02 | "First Time High" - Rita Ora | 5
13 (06) 03 | "Velvet Rope" - Rita Ora | 6
14 (08) 05 | "Thank U, Next" - Ariana Grande | 1 (2) | [P]
15 (16) 05 | "Zero" - Imagine Dragons | 7 | [G]
16 (NE) 01 | "Nothing Breaks Like A Heart" - Mark Ronson ft. Miley Cyrus | 16
17 (NE) 01 | "Mine" - The 1975 | 17
18 (03) 05 | "A No No" - Mariah Carey | 1 (1) | [G]
19 (09) 06 | "The Distance" - Mariah Carey ft. Ty Dolla $ign | 3 | [G]
20 (RE) 16 | "Stop Me From Falling" - Kylie Minogue | 1 (3) | [2xP]
21 (RE) 08 | "The Middle" - Zedd ft. Maren Morris & Grey | 2 (1) | [P]
22 (NE) 01 | "How To Draw/Petrichor" - The 1975| 22
23 (23) 06 | "It's Not Living (If It's Not With You)" - The 1975 | 1 (1) | [G]
24 (RE) 07 | "Dirty Computer" - Janelle Monáe ft. Brian Wilson | 5 | [P]
25 (20) 03 | "Bad Liar" - Imagine Dragons | 5
26 (12) 04 | "Love Made Me Do It" - Cheryl Cole | 2 (2) | [G]
27 (15) 13 | "Anywhere" - Rita Ora | 1 (1) | [2xP]
28 (27) 15 | "I Will Never Let You Down" - Rita Ora | 3 | [P]
29 (10) 02 | "Only Want You" - Rita Ora | 10
30 (02) 06 | "Let You Love Me" - Rita Ora | 2 (1) | [G]

[GOLD] = 25+ total plays
[PLAT] = 50+ total plays
phoenix98
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:04 pm

OMG those two follow-up drops for Cheryl do hurt :( - It deserves so much more love.

That said, I am glad to see "Headlights" rise and the new entry for "Nothing Breaks Like a Heart" ain't bad either even though the song deserves to be #1 everywhere :D What a tune!
Mainshow
Legend

Return to Personal Charts