100 Reasons I Love 1998 [COMPLETE]

Moderators: JSparksFan, tdc2000, FreakyFlyBry

Postby SholasBoy » Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:51 pm

1998 is my absolute most favourite year for music, in fact, rather than a year I almost see it as a genre. Music was generally positive and uplifting, great pop songs that just wouldn't get recognition in todays world, moody britpop, big dance tunes and it was the year that really got me into R&B for the first time.

Further more it was the first year I really started to pay attention to the UK charts and started to create my own, I love listening to pretty much anything from this year (even the stuff I didn't really like at the time), it all brings back such good memories. It was the year I was introduced to Music television (though then it was just MTV, VH1 and The Box).

So here's a list of the 100 songs that take me back to 1998, I haven't used any chart data etc to compile this, as some of the songs didn't do so well in my chart at the time, but they have stood the test of time and I have fond memories of all of them.

Coming Next....

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Last edited by SholasBoy on Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:53 pm, edited 25 times in total.
SholasBoy
Chief Wig Snatcher

Postby SholasBoy » Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:08 pm

100 DRU HILL - HOW DEEP IS YOUR LOVE
Reached #09 [October]

This was actually the first Dru Hill song I heard and at the time I just thought it was the name of a guy, it seemed to go straight into the UK top 10 out of nowhere (The first time I ever heard it was on the UK top 40 countdown). Kind of a forgotten R&B gem now, but still sounds really good.

99 SASH F/SHANNON - MOVE MANIA
Reached #08 [November]

I remember at the time this seeming like a flop, putting an end to his run of top 3 hits, of course these days a #8 hit would be seen as much more successful. Typically a Sash production, but with Shannon adding a more soulful vocal. Not really one of his most memorable hits, but still one I like listening back to.

98 EMILIA - BIG BIG WORLD
Reached #05 [December]

This was one of the ones that I wasn't really fussed on at the time, in fact I then preferred the follow up (flop) "Good Sign", although now I realise how awful that song is and that this is actually a pretty nice song, although her vocals are pretty monotone and it fails to have that killer moment, but I think the beauty of this song is in the way that it slowly builds without you even realising.

97 KP & ENVYI - SWING MY WAY
Reached #14 [June]

I don't remember hearing this song at the time, it was over the following couple of years it just kept popping back up, becoming something of an R&B club classic. A real one hit wonder, it was a billboard top 10 hit in 1997.

96 TATYANA ALI - DAYDREAMIN'
Reached #6 [November]

I was an instant fan of Tatyana when she kicked off her career with this song. Helping to make R&B pop, I loved her cute voice and pretty face (I'd never watched Prince of Bel Air so I didn't know her from that), shame she didn't continue to be one of the big female R&B names.
SholasBoy
Chief Wig Snatcher

Postby Thriller » Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:23 pm

Oh Shane what a thread! I have always raved on about 1998 too, like you said the reason I love it is because every genre had big hits this year - pop, dance, hip-hop, R&B, indie, rock, country... rather than one style dominating which is now pattern, there was a constant cycle of refreshing music and something for everyone.

Dru Hill - was never too keen on them but this was probably their best song.
Sash! - loved it then and still do, was gutted it didn't make top 3, nobody ever remembers it when it comes to Sash!
Emilia - yeah I was never that bothered and found it a bit childish but listening back it's a simple addictive melody.
K.P. & Envyi - never heard of it then and still don't recognise it now, seems a bit before its time though.
Tatyana Ali - saw it first on CD:UK and really liked it, think it actually made #1 in my chart back then!
Thriller

Postby Tiger » Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:15 am

First off, I really agree about the year. It is genius.

98 EMILIA - BIG BIG WORLD

Classic song.
These foolish games are tearing me apart

My CHART
Tiger
Lover Of (Mostly) Everything Pop

Postby SholasBoy » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:21 am

95 MATTHEW MARSDEN - THE HEART'S LONE DESIRE
Reached #13 [July]

The beautiful guy from Coro embarked on a music career a year before Adam Rickett in 1998. It seemed Matthew wanted to be the next Gary Barlow (something even Gary Barlow wasn't doing well in 1998), before he inexplicably managed to get a collaboration with Destinys Child. This isn't the most exciting song in the world but when I hear it, it just screams Summer 98 to me.

94 THE SUPERNATURALS - I WASN'T BUILT TO GET UP
Reached #25 [August]

In a sea of successful fun indie groups (Space, Divine Comedy, Dodgy), the Supernaturals just struggled to get a hit, a shame really because this was a really uplifting sunny song.

93 ALDA - REAL GOOD TIME
Reached #7 [August]

In 1998 there seemed to be loads of these odd pop acts coming out every week, featured in Smash Hits magazine and failing to make the top 40, Kulay, FAB, Pure Sugar, Paper Dolls, they were all over the place, but somehow Alda managed to break away and score herself this rather unusual but fun top 10 hit.

92 SHANIA TWAIN - YOU'RE STILL THE ONE
Reached #10 [February]

Kicking of her massive UK career, I adored this song when it came out, quite deceptively nothing like her Country roots, this song was a traditional power ballad, for me, it still remains one of her greatest hits, before she became a bit of a country parody (Party For Two? No ta).

91 THE TAMPERER F/MAYA - FEEL IT
Reached #1 [April]

Now this is a classic dance anthem, a little bit gimicky, but that often seems to be the case with the bigger hits in this genre. Taking a Jackson 5 sample and dropping a chimney on it's head, for me this sounds so much better now than it ever did at the time.
SholasBoy
Chief Wig Snatcher

Postby irishguy28 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:55 am

Ooh, The Tamperer is quite low! :o

I liked the Alda track - it was a staple in The George back in the day, and I ended up buying both CD1 and CD2 to find the remix that they played! (There were some great remixes of the track, the "radio" version was a bet mehhh I thought).
irishguy28

Postby SholasBoy » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:56 am

^^^ What is the George? :D
SholasBoy
Chief Wig Snatcher

Postby irishguy28 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:10 am

Oh - just a wee little bar in Dublin I used to hang out in at the time!
irishguy28

Postby SholasBoy » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:12 am

HaHa I love it

"PussyWagon, dublin's newest & hottest Lesbian Night"

:o blimey :lol:
SholasBoy
Chief Wig Snatcher

Postby irishguy28 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:13 am

Or - "Strictly Come Pole Dancing".

Apparently that was last night. I dunno if it was a one-off!!!
irishguy28

Postby Thriller » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:00 pm

Matthew Marsden - good song despite his roots and rubbish rest of music career. LOL @ Gary Barlow.
The Supernaturals - remember it but didn't think much of it.
Alda - OMG amazing! She'd never score a hit now but this was a dead catchy pop tune.
Shania Twain - yep beautiful ballad, but I hated it at the time it was a hit!
The Tamperer - toooo low! Always loved it and always will, Maya rocks.
Thriller

Postby jszmiles » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:06 pm

Emilia, Sash! and The Tamperer are the best from this 10...
jszmiles
Legend

Postby Thriller » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:14 pm

Just watched Alda perform "Real Good Time" on TOTP (bloody scary hair) and who's grooving along at the front of the audience but silver shirt boy from Cher's "Believe" performance! :lol:
Thriller

Postby Jack » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:40 pm

I was 9 in '98 and I remember that Matthew Marsden track :-) My faves of the year would include Jennifer Paiges' "Crush" and anything by Savage Garden, Backstreet Boys, Vengaboys oh and "Believe" by Cher amongst many others :-)
Jack
Manager

Postby CZB » Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:14 pm

jszmiles wrote:Emilia, Sash! and The Tamperer are the best from this 10...
Yes - those are the three from 100-91 that I bought back then. I especially liked "Big Big World" - a record of the month and top three hit in my chart.

And it did better in continental Europe, particularly the German-speaking countries - it was number one for six / seven / nine weeks in Austria / Germany / Switzerland !
CZB
Legend

Postby stevyy » Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:37 pm

I wasn't impressed by Emilia too.. but Shania's song is pretty good!! :o 8-) :D
stevyy
Legend

Postby SholasBoy » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:14 pm

Thanks for feedback so far :)

90 NICOLE RAY F/MISSY ELLIOTT & MOCHA - MAKE IT HOT
Reached #22 [August]

On this song alone I went and picked up her album, which I really liked. I think this song was the first real R&B song I got into that wasn't a "pop" song too. So quite a significant song for me. Of course Missy didn't persist with either Nicole or Mocha.

89 4 THE CAUSE - STAND BY ME
Reached #12 [October]

Of course the BB King version is a classic, but I think this young R&B 4piece did a good job of making it a bit different without ruining it, making the song young, fresh and relevant. A real shame they didn't continue.

88 EMBRACE - COME BACK TO WHAT YOU KNOW
Reached #6 [June]

Funny how similar this song sounds to the stuff they were still bringing out 8 years later, but this was the first Embrace song I really took notice of. Before Coldplay, Travis, Keane and Snow Patrol, there was Embrace, a great song.

87 DIVA SURPRISE F/GEORGIA JONES - ON THE TOP OF THE WORLD
Reached #29 [November]

A real camp dance anthem now, that somehow got away with taking a sample from YMCA and making it a real great dance anthem. There was something I always really liked about this track, a great funky little number!

86 ACE OF BASE - LIFE IS A FLOWER
Reached #5 [July]

When Ace of Base returned after a couple of years they scored a massive commercial radio hit with this, something I really doubt they'd manage these days. The "Flowers" album was the soundtrack to my Summer and this was my favourite of their 3 singles in 1998.
SholasBoy
Chief Wig Snatcher

Postby Thriller » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:47 pm

Nicole - don't know it!
4 The Cause - oh yeah I really liked that, remember it on TOTP.
Embrace - they were SO much better in their early days, good track.
Diva Surprise - surprised I don't know it, I think I was guilty at not paying much attention to the bottom end of the chart back then.
Ace Of Base - yes surprise comeback but definitely one of their best songs!
Thriller

Postby jszmiles » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:48 pm

Cruel summer was better than lead single from Flowers album in my opinion. But still, "Life is a flower" is classy pop tune.
jszmiles
Legend

Postby SholasBoy » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:49 pm

Really surprised you don't know Diva Surprise Michael, it's right up your street, camp as tits :lol:
SholasBoy
Chief Wig Snatcher

Postby irishguy28 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:20 pm

I think that's probably why I never liked "On The Top Of The World".

I remember it was in the charts at the same time as "If You Could Read My Mind" - a double whammy of über-camp songs, but the latter just seemed to take on a life of its own....I wonder if we'll be seeing that later!!!

I really liked that Ace of Base track.
irishguy28

Postby SholasBoy » Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:22 pm

irishguy28 wrote:I wonder if we'll be seeing that later!!!
Sadly not, I've never been keen on that song (loved the movie it came from though!)
SholasBoy
Chief Wig Snatcher

Postby Thriller » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:11 pm

SholasBoy wrote:Really surprised you don't know Diva Surprise Michael, it's right up your street, camp as tits :lol:
Exactly, I'm a bit disappointed with myself! :lol:

Now "If You Could Read My Mind" is a different story, I was OBSESSED with that song for months!!
Thriller

Postby stevyy » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:15 pm

omgoodness, i was such a fan of 4 the cause back in the day.. :oops:
stevyy
Legend

Postby NothingFails » Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:51 am

Life Is A Flower is one of my fave AOB songs, ironically it never had a US release, being retooled to "Whenever You're Near Me"
NothingFails
Legend

Return to Personal Charts