100 Reasons I Love 2002 [COMPLETE]

Moderators: JSparksFan, tdc2000, FreakyFlyBry

Postby SholasBoy » Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:06 pm

Now I'm not picking years out of the air, this is another very important year for music for me... Christmas 2001 my Mum got me my first PC for Christmas with internet connection (we'd had a family PC through 2000-2001 but I was only allowed very limited access), so suddenly I went digital with my music collection :lol: and of course managed to access music I'd not previously heard. By August I'd joined the worlds leading music site :lol: (UKMix) and became part of a great music community.

To make it easier for me compile and so that I'm not being totally off the wall, I've decided to only include singles that reached the top 75 during 2002 for this countdown.

Coming Next...

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Last edited by SholasBoy on Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:10 pm, edited 22 times in total.
SholasBoy
Chief Wig Snatcher

Postby irishguy28 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:48 pm

OMG OMG! I hope this will be as fantastic as your 1998 countdown!
irishguy28

Postby jszmiles » Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:55 pm

milky and Sophie are fantastic!!!
jszmiles
Legend

Postby mykka » Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:23 pm

I expect some hot R&B tunes to be here :wink:
mykka
Legend

Postby Tiger » Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:34 am

Another great year, but then anything past 1998 is... before 2006 :P
These foolish games are tearing me apart

My CHART
Tiger
Lover Of (Mostly) Everything Pop

Postby SholasBoy » Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:29 pm

100 WHO DA FUNK - SHINY DISCO BALLS
Reached #15 [November]

A cheeky little dance song which probably didn't quite achieve the success it should have, but seems to be one of those dance anthems that everyone remembers, possibly just for the name.

99 SAMANTHA MUMBA - I'M RIGHT HERE
Reached #5 [October]

Her 6th consecutive top 10 hit, but also oddly her final release. Yea it wasn't quite as strong as previous releases, but I still think worthy of a follow up.

98 BADLY DRAWN BOY - SILENT SIGH
Reached #16 [April]

Possibly the highlight of BDB's career for me, probably a more memorable moment than when he performed at the opening of a Grimsby chip shop a few years later.. this song was much softer and heartfelt than previous releases.

97 HOLLY VALANCE - DOWN BOY
Reached #2 [October]

Holly Valance took 5 months to follow up her huge chart topper, Kiss Kiss, but when it came it still managed to reach #2 in the chart. I actually think this one was a little bit better, still cheeky and cute.

96 LADIES FIRST - I CAN'T WAIT
Reached #19 [April]

As UK Garage was taking off, songs like this were starting to creep in, a pop market taking hold of what was becoming a popular genre. Oddly they'd ditched the one that was actually a DJ, on previous single "Messin", leaving just the 2 singers. Catchy little track never-the-less.
SholasBoy
Chief Wig Snatcher

Postby mykka » Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:44 pm

I like the Samantha Mumba, Holly Valance and Ladies First tunes.
By the way, can you post the top100 in a list at the end - it's the reason why I didn't comment on your 1998 topic at the end.
mykka
Legend

Postby Benjamin » Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:47 pm

I loved reading your 1998 chart. It's funny, because '98 and '02 are probably my favorite years in music as well. Especially 2002. So, Im really looking forward to the rest of your chart :D

So far I like that Samantha Mumba track and absolutely love the Holly Valance track. 'Down Boy' is such a naughty song. Me likes!
Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby SholasBoy » Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:47 pm

Sure, I'll do that for my 1998 now :)
SholasBoy
Chief Wig Snatcher

Postby mykka » Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:51 pm

For me I can't even pick a favourite year. Perhaps 2000, though for me 1997-2002 were incredible years.
mykka
Legend

Postby stevyy » Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:08 pm

2002 has not left a big impact in my life i guess... even though my favourite artists all had new albums out. I think 2002 was a great year for albums...
stevyy
Legend

Postby Tiger » Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:27 am

99 SAMANTHA MUMBA - I'M RIGHT HERE
97 HOLLY VALANCE - DOWN BOY

Holly Valance used to be really good. Meh that they dropped her

My CHART
Tiger

Postby SholasBoy » Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:34 pm

95 DB BOULEVARD - POINT OF VIEW
Reached #3 [February]

This was our introduction to the vocalist Moony who went on to have a further top 10 hit later in the year. This song starts off really slow, but builds and builds through the song, with some gorgeous "twinkly" parts to a great big climax.

94 NO DOUBT F/LADY SAW - UNDERNEATH IT ALL
Reached #18 [October]

They had 3 top 20 singles from their "Rock Steady" album this year, but although this was the smallest of the 3, it was my favourite, I loved Lady Saw's little rap, it became clear that Gwen was a fan of this sort of Caribbean style as she came back with "Now That You Got It" as a solo single later on.

93 P DIDDY - DIDDY
Reached #19 [January]

Potentially the most arrogant of all Diddy's self-loving hits, but this has such a hot jerky beat from the Neptunes, it was impossible for me to not like it.

92 SHAKIRA - OBJECTION (TANGO)
Reached #17 [November]

Well like with No Doubt, this was the third and least successful single that year for Shakira and again the only one to feature in my list. This was really sexy and I think the sort of thing Shakira does best, it's really authentic and fun.

91 TLC - GIRL TALK
Reached #30 [December]

An underated TLC single, and their last to be released in the UK. Sassy and sexy as ever, they oddly chose TLC's big comeback to happen the week before Christmas, with no real promotion, no wonder it was such a flop.
SholasBoy
Chief Wig Snatcher

Postby jszmiles » Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:36 pm

awesome tune.
jszmiles
Legend

Postby marat2408 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:30 pm

No Doubt's song is amazing!
marat2408
Superstar

Postby Benjamin » Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:34 pm

'Point Of View' is such a happy track! The video is so cute :D 'Underneath It All' is very laidback and perfect for in the summer. 'Objection' is good too and 'Girl Talk' deserved to be a much bigger hit.
Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby mykka » Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:24 pm

Not a huge lover of any of these tunes, but Shakira and No Doubt are the best ones here. DB Boulevard was ok, but not really my kind of dance.
mykka
Legend

Postby Tiger » Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:27 am

94 NO DOUBT F/LADY SAW - UNDERNEATH IT ALL
93 P DIDDY - DIDDY
92 SHAKIRA - OBJECTION (TANGO)
91 TLC - GIRL TALK

I just realized I highlighted them all :lol: None are amazing but they're nice

My CHART
Tiger

Postby JimJim » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:32 am

Hmm, not really feeling any of those ones, 'Objection' is the pick of the pack.

Bring on the next bunch!
JimJim
Elusive Chanteuse

Postby Virgostar » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:33 am

Woo, 2002, good times, some not so good.

Wasn't fussed on Point Of View at the time, but have grown to like it since.

Looooooooooooved the Shakira song at the time (got quite into her whole Laundry Service period), but can't say I like it now.

Shiny Disco Balls reminds me a little of one of my HS classmates who used to sing this a bit when it was out.
Let's embrace the point of no return.
Virgostar
Ex-Admin

Postby SholasBoy » Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:45 pm

90 BUSTA RHYMES F/P DIDDY - PASS THE COURVOISIER PT.II
Reached #16 [June]

The second release from the Genesis album was a million miles away from the original version of "Pass The Courvoisier", bringing in Diddy and Pharrell, it provided part of one of my favourite Music Awards performances of all time.

89 LFO - EVERY OTHER TIME
Reached #24 [April]

They seemed to be slowly getting more popular through their debut album, but the lead single from their follow up, "Life Is Good", just didn't do so well. A shame because I think it's such a good pop song, and the album it came from, featuring the likes of Kelis and MOP was pretty good too.

88 MISSY ELLIOTT FT.EVE - 4 MY PEOPLE (BASEMENT JAXX REMIX)
Reached #5 [April]

I think this may have been the biggest selling single of Missy's career in the UK (?). Not exactly one of my favourite's of her, but still a great dance anthem, for maximum enjoyment, the extended version with Eve's killer rap is a must.

87 CITY HIGH F/EVE - CARAMEL
Reached #9 [March]

More Eve featuring now and this time a cute little song from City High, their last release in the UK, before they disbanded. Often overlooked by their huge debut single "What Would You Do?"

86 DARREN HAYES - I MISS YOU
Reached #20 [November]

The first solo single from Darren that I actually liked, I hated his debut single, Insatiable, but this was a stunning pop song perfect for the time of year it came out.
SholasBoy
Chief Wig Snatcher

Postby mykka » Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:26 pm

Many highlights here:

Love the Busta tune, has gotta be one of his best, the video is beyond hilarious!

Remember loving the Basement Jaxx of 4 My People - didn't like the original though, far too slow. The remix is very addictive.

Caramel really does bring back memories of how R&B used to sound during that time, smooth and slick.

I Miss You is another good pop song - I actually thought all his solo songs were pretty great, but that was to be expected since Savage Garden had really nice songs too.

Don't remember that LFO track.
mykka
Legend

Postby marat2408 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:45 pm

Woo for Missy Elliott and Darren Hayes!
marat2408
Superstar

Postby Tiger » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:41 am

89 LFO - EVERY OTHER TIME
88 MISSY ELLIOTT FT.EVE - 4 MY PEOPLE (BASEMENT JAXX REMIX)
87 CITY HIGH F/EVE - CARAMEL
86 DARREN HAYES - I MISS YOU

Woo LFO :lol: That's an unexpected song to see

My CHART
Tiger

Postby SholasBoy » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:07 pm

85 JIMMY EAT WORLD - THE MIDDLE
Reached #26 [February]

That song what goes elephant elephant. :lol: Used to hear this one quite a bit in a rock club I used to frequent, still hear it from time to time now, I think the stand out point of their career.

84 TIM DELUXE F/SAM OBERNIK - IT JUST WON'T DO
Reached #14 [July]

Easily the biggest of dance producer, Tim Deluxe's releaes and the highest charting single to feature rent-a-vocal, Sam Obernik. This is a really good latin sounding dance track, with a cheeky horn (oo-er).

83 EMINEM - WITHOUT ME
Reached #1 [June]

Here's one I would've never included at the year end as I never liked Eminem one bit, but in the last few years I've started to really appreciate him, and therefor go backwards to start enjoying his older work, this is actually one of my favourites.

82 FAITHLESS F/DIDO - ONE STEP TOO FAR
Reached #6 [April]

Not a Dido fan in the slightest, but Faithless did a good job on this track, and Dido's voice sort of worked in the same haunting way that Sarah McLachlan's did on The Silence a couple of years earlier.

81 ZERO 7 F/SIA - DISTRACTIONS
Reached #45 [March]

The final release from Zero 7's debut album, Simple Things was another stunning laid back chillout track with the gorgeous vocals of Sia Furler.
SholasBoy
Chief Wig Snatcher

Return to Personal Charts