Vinnie´s Top 1000 Of All Time ( First Edition )

Moderators: tdc2000, FreakyFlyBry

Which of these fifteen songs could be my #1?

Icehouse - Crazy
No votes
Wang Chung - Dance Hall Days
No votes
Journey - Don´t Stop Believin
15%
Bon Jovi - Livin´On A Prayer
15%
Whitesnake - Is This Love
5%
Kim Carnes - Bette Davis Eyes
10%
Don Henley - Boys Of Summer
5%
Mr.Mister - Broken Wings
5%
Foreigner - Urgent
5%
Talk Talk - Such A Shame
No votes
Phil Collins - In The Air Tonight
5%
U2 - With Or Without You
15%
The Police - Every Breath You Take
5%
Depeche Mode - Policy Of Truth
5%
Metallica - Nothing Else Matters
10%

Total votes : 20

Postby vinnie65 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:41 pm

06. Phil Collins - In The Air Tonight

Year: 1981

US #19 UK #2 AUS #3 Germany #1

Wikipedia wrote:

"In the Air Tonight" is a song by Phil Collins that first appeared on his 1981 album Face Value. It was recorded in 1979 and was the first single of Collins' solo career, and remains one of his best-known hits. The music video, directed by Stuart Orme, was released in 1981.

The recording is notable for its atmospheric production and macabre theme. Released in January 1981 in the UK, the single was an instant hit, quickly climbing to Number 2 in the Singles Chart. It was also an international hit, reaching the top 20 on the Billboard Chart in the summer of 1981, peaking at #19.

Collins wrote this about the anger he felt after divorcing his first wife Andrea in 1979. He explained on a BBC Radio 2 documentary in 1997 that he took a couple of years out of Genesis due to his devastation.

"In the Air Tonight" remains, alone among Collins' solo oeuvre, a popular selection on many classic rock radio stations. It is the song most often associated with Collins' solo career, and he has performed versions of it at many events, notably at Live Aid, where he played the song on the same calendar day in both Philadelphia and London. He also performed the song at The Secret Policeman's Ball, Collins' first live performance as a solo artist.

Note:

Not only fantastic but very insightful and mesmerizing. A gigantic song can be heard again and again without getting enough of it!

Lyrics:

I can feel it coming in the air tonight, oh Lord
And I've been waiting for this moment for all my life, oh Lord
Can you feel it coming in the air tonight, oh Lord, oh Lord

Well if you told me you were drowning
I would not lend a hand
I've seen your face before my friend
But I don't know if you know who I am
I was there and I saw what you did
I saw it with my own two eyes
So you can wipe off that grin
I know where you've been
It's all been a pack of lies

And I can feel it coming in the air tonight, oh Lord
I've been waiting for this moment for my life, oh Lord
And I've been waiting for this moment all my life, oh Lord, oh Lord

Well I remember
I remember don't worry
How could I ever forget it's the first time
The last time we ever met
But I know the reason why you keep your silence up
No you don't fool me
But the hurt doesn't show
But the pain still grows
Some stranger to you and me

And I can feel it coming in the air tonight, oh Lord
But I've been waiting for this moment for all my life, oh Lord
I can feel it in the air tonight, oh Lord, oh Lord
But I've been waiting for this moment for all my life, oh Lord

And I've been waiting for this moment all my life, oh Lord
I can feel it in the air tonight, oh Lord, oh Lord, oh Lord
And I've been waiting for this moment all my life, oh Lord, oh Lord

I can feel it in the air tonight, oh Lord, oh Lord, oh Lord, oh Lord
I've been waiting for this moment all my life
vinnie65
Manager

Postby HUR » Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:02 pm

Nice countdown. I have been following it since last year. After watching it again, I feel like I need to listen to Icehouse a little bit more; I think I only know two or three songs of them.

I also noticed:

989. Queen - Don´t Stop Me Now
937. Queen - Killer Queen
905. Queen - I Want It All
869. Queen - I Want To Break Free
793. Queen - Spread Your Wings
758. Queen - Another One Bites The Dust
653. Queen - Tie Your Mother Down
627. Queen - Friends Will Be Friends
590. Queen - Crazy Little Thing Called Love
432. Queen - A Kind Of Magic
386. Queen - Radio Ga Ga
383. Queen - Who Wants To Live Forever
225. Queen - We Will Rock You
206. Queen - Somebody To Love
58. Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody

I couldn't find "We Are The Champions", "Under Pressure" and other Queen classic songs. Any chance for any of them to show up in the Top 5? :D Anyway, a total 15 songs isn't bad at all.
HUR
Superstar

Postby vinnie65 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:12 pm

05. Kim Carnes - Bette Davis Eyes

US #1 UK #10 AUS #1 Germany #1

Wikipedia wrote:

"Bette Davis Eyes" is a song written in 1974 by Donna Weiss and Jackie DeShannon and made popular by American singer-songwriter Kim Carnes.

The song was written in 1974 by Donna Weiss and Jackie DeShannon. DeShannon recorded the song that same year on her album New Arrangement. But it was not until 1981, when Kim Carnes recorded her version of the song, that it became a commercial success.

The Kim Carnes recording of the song spent nine non-consecutive weeks on top of the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 (interrupted for one week by the "Stars on 45 Medley") and was Billboard's number one single of 1981. The single also peaked at number 26 on the dance charts. The song won the Grammy Awards for Song of the Year and Record of the Year. The song was also a number one hit in 31 countries, including Germany, Australia, Switzerland, Italy, Norway, Japan, and Brazil, but it achieved more moderate success in the United Kingdom, where it peaked at number ten. The music video was directed by Russell Mulcahy.

According to producer Val Garay, the original demo of the tune that was brought to him sounded like "a Leon Russell track, with this beer-barrel polka piano part." Keyboardist Bill Cuomo came up with the signature synth riff, using the then-new Sequential Circuits Prophet-5 synthesizer, which now defines Carnes' version. The song was recorded completely live in the studio on the first take.

Bette Davis admitted to being a fan of the song and approached Carnes and the songwriters to thank them for making her "a part of modern times."

The song was ranked at number 12 on Billboard's list of the top 100 songs in the first 50 years of the Billboard Hot 100 chart and at number 2 on the biggest hits of the 80s.

Note:

There are few greater superlatives,as hang up and enjoy as! Today and in also hundred years.... Immortal song.

Lyrics:

Her hair is harlow gold her lips sweet surprise
her hands are never cold she's got Bette Davis eyes
she'll turn the music on you you won't have to think twice
she's pure as New York snow she got Bette Davis eyes

And she'll tease you she'll unease you all the better just to please you
she's precocious and she knows just what it takes to make a pro blush
she got Greta Garbo stand off sighs she's got Bette Davis eyes

She'll let you take her home it whets her appetite
she'll lay you on the throne she got Bette Davis eyes
she'll take a tumble on you roll you like you're a dice
until you come out blue she's got Bette Davis eyes

She'll expose you when she snoze you off your feet with the crumbs she crawls you
she's furocious and she knows just what it takes to make a pro blush
all the boys think she's a spy she's got Bette Davis eyes

And she'll tease you she'll unease you all the better just to please you
she's percocious and she knows just what it takes to make a pro blush
all the boys think she's a spy she's got Bette Davis eyes

She'll tease you she'll unease you just to please you
she's got Bette Davis eyes
she'll expose you when she snoze you she knows you
she's got Bette Davis eyes
vinnie65
Manager

Postby Tiger » Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:18 pm

80s classics!
These foolish games are tearing me apart

My CHART
Tiger
Lover Of (Mostly) Everything Pop

Postby Benny » Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:48 pm

07. Fleetwood Mac - Go Your Own Way

All three are fantastic 8-)
Benny
Legend

Postby adg » Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:34 pm

Benny wrote:07. Fleetwood Mac - Go Your Own Way

All three are fantastic 8-)
I agree, especially Kim Carnes :D
adg
Superstar

Postby vinnie65 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:08 pm

04. Whitesnake - Is This Love

Year: 1987

US #2 UK #9 CAN #11

Wikipedia wrote:

"Is This Love" is a song by the English hard rock band Whitesnake. The song is taken from their multi-platinum self-titled album, which released in 1987.

The song was written by vocalist David Coverdale and guitarist John Sykes during the albums early writing process (which took place in the south of France), but it was long rumored that the song had originally been written for pop artist Tina Turner. Coverdale confirmed these rumours in the booklet of Whitesnake's 20th anniversary edition, by saying:

"Before I'd left [for the south of France] a friend at EMI had asked me for any ideas that would work for Tina Turner. So that was where the original idea for 'Is This Love' came from."

Even though the song was in the similar style as many power ballads of the '80s, "Is This Love" became one of the most popular power ballads and one of the most popular Whitesnake-songs ever. The song reached #87 on VH1's "100 Greatest Love Songs"-list and #10 on their list of "Greatest Power Ballads".

The single was a huge hit for Whitesnake, reaching number 9 in the UK Singles Chart and number 2 in the US singles chart, making it their second-biggest US hit after "Here I Go Again" which hit number 1. The single was reissued in 1994 to promote Whitesnake's Greatest Hits, The single was re-issued in 1994 to promote the band's Greatest Hits, and featured the song "Sweet Lady Luck" (which was previously only available as B-side to "The Deeper the Love"-single) and "Now You're Gone." This version reached number 25 on the UK Singles Chart.

A music video was also made which received much airplay on MTV, largely thanks to featuring Coverdale's then-girlfriend actress Tawny Kitaen. The music video depicts the band playing the song on a misty stage, inter-cut with scenes of Coverdale singing, Kitaen dancing and the two of them together. The music video greatly helped Whitesnake's exposure in the US.

The Audio Thieves featuring Uniting Nations covered this song in their 2006 album Dance Cover. Also in 2006, Thomas Anders covered the song for his album Songs Forever.

Note:

I think the best hard-rock ballad that has ever appeared! A song that always touches me today! I love it!

Lyrics:

I should've known better than to let you go alone
it's time like these can't make it on my own
wasted days and sleepless night
and I can't wait to see you again

I find I spend my time waiting on your call
how can I tell you babe my back's against the wall
I need you by my side to tell me it's alright
'cause I don't think I can take anymore

Is this love that I'm feeling
is this the love that I've been searching for
is this love or am I dreaming
this must be love
'cause it's really got a hold on me
got a hold on me

Can't stop the feeling I've been this way before
but with you I'll find the key to open any door
I can feel my love for you growing stronger day by day
and I can't wait to see you again so I can hold you in my arms

this must be love
'cause it's really got a hold on me
a hold on me

Is this love or am I dreaming
(is this love) or am I dreaming

Is this love or am I dreaming

(Is this love) is this love
vinnie65
Manager

Postby adg » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:59 am

Is This Love is good. I am looking forward to your Top 3. Based on the contenders list, they will all be great :wink:
adg
Superstar

Postby vinnie65 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:58 pm

03. Don Henley - The Boys Of Summer

Year: 1984

US #5 UK #12 CAN #15

Wikipedia wrote:

"The Boys of Summer" is a song by Don Henley, with lyrics written by Henley and music composed by Henley and Mike Campbell, longtime guitarist for Tom Petty. It is the lead track and first single from Henley's 1984 album Building the Perfect Beast. The song's music video won many awards. "The Boys of Summer" was also performed live by Henley with the reunited Eagles; such a version is included on the group's 2005 Farewell 1 Tour-Live from Melbourne DVD.

"The Boys of Summer" was highly successful, reaching number 5 on the U.S. pop singles chart and topping the Billboard Mainstream Rock Tracks chart. It was also a hit in the United Kingdom, reaching number 12 on the UK Singles Chart. A re-release of the single in 1998 also reached #12.

Henley won the Grammy Award for Best Male Rock Vocal Performance for the song.

"The Boys of Summer" was ranked #416 on Rolling Stone magazine's list of The 500 Greatest Songs of All Time.

Rocker Jon Bon Jovi stated in Metal Edge magazine that "The Boys of Summer" is the song he most wishes he'd written himself.

The song has also been used for the background music to some baseball events, such as a snippet of it being played during the commercial break of the 2003 MLB All Star Game & most recently[when?], a commercial for MLB Network.

Note:

"The Boys of Summer" from Don Henley is and remains a stroke of genius with which he carved into the top 10 best rock songs of all time. The lyric is just great and together with Don Henley's voice and the sound it gives me goosebumps today. "The Boys of Summer" is just the anthem of the 80s. I think everyone now co-thirties/fourties can get this song with an experience from his time in teen connection. ... and if Don is singing "I Can Tell You My Love For You Will Still Be Strong, after the boys of summer have gone." then everyone who was also unhappy in love, maybe a little melancholy smile, of times past think back.

Lyrics:

Nobody on the road
nobody on the beach
I feel it in the air
the summer's out of reach

Empty lake empty streets
the sun goes down alone
I'm driving by your house
though I know you're not home

But I can see you
your brown skin shining in the sun
you got your hair combed back
and your sunglasses on baby
I can tell you my love for you will still be strong
after the boys of summer have gone

I never will forget those nights
I wonder if it was a dream
remember how you made me crazy
remember how I made you scream

Now I don't understand
what happened to our love
but babe I'm gonna get you back
I'm gonna show you what I'm made of

I can see you
your brown skins shining in the sun
I see you walking real slow
smiling at everyone

Out on the road today
I saw a deadhead sticker on a cadillac
a little voice inside my head said
don't look back you can never look back

I thought I knew what love was
what did I know
those days are gone forever
I should just let them go but

I can see you
your brown skin's shining in the sun
you got the top pulled down radio on baby

I can see you
your brown skin's shining in the sun
you got your hair slicked back
and those wayfarers on baby
vinnie65
Manager

Postby Benny » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:42 pm

Fantastic 80s classic 8-)
Benny
Legend

Postby Tiger » Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:28 pm

Yeowch that is high

My CHART
Tiger

Postby vinnie65 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:00 pm

02. Depeche Mode - Policy Of Truth

Year: 1990

US #15 UK #16 Germany #7 FRA #31

Wikipedia wrote:

"Policy of Truth" is Depeche Mode's twenty-fifth UK single, released on May 7, 1990, and the third single for the album Violator.

The cover art for "Policy of Truth" has the blurred image of a nude woman. The camera angles and poses differ on the 7" Vinyl, the 12" Vinyl, the CD and Cassette. Usually each one has more than one. On the L12, there is a picture of a different woman.

It is the only Depeche Mode single to chart higher on the Billboard Hot 100 (#15) than on the UK Singles Chart (#16), as well as peaking at number two on the American dance charts . It also became the band's second chart-topper on the Modern Rock Tracks chart.

François Kevorkian mixed a new single version for the release, extending it slightly while lowering the tempo, and also making Martin Gore's vocals more prominent. He also mixed the Beat Box Mix (the 12" version of the single mix) and the Pavlov's Dub.

The B-side is "Kaleid" (pronounced "collide"), which has an extended version called When Worlds Mix. Unlike many of the prior instrumentals which were piano compositions, this one is a rough techno instrumental. "Kaleid" is not produced by Depeche Mode and Flood, but just Depeche Mode.

The Trancentral Mix is by The KLF, a very popular Acid House band at that time and one of only 3 occasions that they did remix work for other artists, the other being So Hard and its B-side "It must be obvious" by the Pet Shop Boys and "What Is Dub?" by Moody Boys.

Capitol Mix uses the sample "I want to tell you my side of the case" from the Checkers speech by Richard Nixon.

A version of "Kaleid" was used as intro music for Depeche Mode's world tour in 1990.

The music video for "Policy of Truth" is directed by Anton Corbijn and appears on the VHS collection Strange Too.

Despite its success as a single, "Policy of Truth" was not included on the band's Best of... hits collection of 2006.

Note:

Policy Of Truth is a powerful and dynamic song with a cool groove, and a magnificent central part. When sounding the first notes you can no longer even sit still. Many favor other songs by Depeche Mode security, especially Enjoy The Silence of Violator. I love this song for many years and it´s my favorite song of the 90s. Two years ago I have finally seen the band live, it was an unbelievably great concert and to my luck has also played Policy Of Truth!

Lyrics:

You had something to hide
Should have hidden it, shouldn't you
Now you're not satisfied
With what you're being put through

It's just time to pay the price
For not listening to advice
And deciding in your youth
On the policy of truth

Things could be so different now
It used to be so civilized
You will always wonder how
It could have been if you'd only lied

It's too late to change events
It's time to face the consequence
For delivering the proof
In the policy of truth

Never again
Is what you swore
The time before
Never again
Is what you swore
The time before

Now you're standing there tongue tied
You'd better learn your lesson well
Hide what you have to hide
And tell what you have to tell
You'll see your problems multiplied
If you continually decide
To faithfully pursue
The policy of truth

Never again
Is what you swore
The time before
vinnie65
Manager

Postby vinnie65 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:06 pm

Well, now might indeed be clear which song is the number one .... . One has guessed correctly, I`m curious who it was!
vinnie65
Manager

Postby Benny » Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:05 pm

One of their best songs :D

So who will be number one ? :o :wink:
Benny
Legend

Postby adg » Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:44 pm

Benny wrote:03. Don Henley - The Boys Of Summer

Fantastic 80s classic 8-)
Agreed.

I'm sure I know which is your #1 song but I didn't guess it right. If it's the song I think it is it's a great choice for #1 of all time :wink:
adg
Superstar

Postby Blondini » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:13 am

Mode is a shock! Not one of their best, IMO.

The others in top 6 are great, espec Phil and Kim.
Blondini
Big Time Dreamer

Postby Tiger » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:40 am

Wow that is hgih

My CHART
Tiger

Postby ShayLaB » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:54 pm

I probably would not have had Policy of Truth in the mix but the the other four most recent ones have been fab. I voted that Don Henely would be your #1.
ShayLaB
Manager

Postby vinnie65 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:54 am

Almost a year ago, and now it's done. Thanks for all the nice comments and attentions. Everything was a lot of fun for me, maybe one day I create a top 5000, or one hundred thousand ... . But I rather think not .... . Here's my number 1!

01. Foreigner - Urgent

US #4 UK #54 Germany #12

Wikipedia wrote:

"Urgent" is a song by the Anglo-American rock band Foreigner, and the first single from their hit album 4 in 1981.

The song entered the U.S. pop charts the week ending July 4, 1981, and reached #4 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart, holding that spot for the entire month of September. "Urgent" hit #1 on the Billboard Rock Tracks chart, a position it held for four weeks.

"Urgent" was the most successful single from the 4 album on album-oriented rock radio, though it was outsold by the album's next single, "Waiting for a Girl Like You", which reached #2 on the Billboard Hot 100 in November 1981 and remained at that spot through the end of the following January, for a total of ten weeks, being certified Gold. 4 went Gold and Platinum during the chart run of the "Urgent" single. The album has since been certified multi-platinum by the RIAA, for selling over six million copies in the U.S. alone.

The song was Foreigner's second-best-selling single (after "I Want to Know What Love Is") in both Canada and Sweden, reaching #1 in Canada in September 1981 and #20 in Sweden in March 1982. In Australia, "Urgent" peaked at #24 in August 1981. In the UK, the song reached only #54 upon its first release in 1981. In 1982, after "Waiting for a Girl Like You" went Top Ten there, "Urgent" was re-released, this time reaching only slightly higher, peaking at #45.

Note:

Urgent is my all-over song, I heard it for who knows how many times. It all started in the dance school at age 16, there was the song played every Saturday at a dance party up and down. It's a fantastic song with a really hot sax solo, a real strong Mick Jones on guitar and Lou Gramm of the soul sings out of the body. It is a syncopated, soulful rock song which is simply unique. Urgent is the song that brought me from the already pronounced hard side (AC / DC, Kiss, Iron Maiden, etc.) to the slightly softer side (Def Leppard, Journey, Bon Jovi, Foreigner, of course). But all in all, I've never written a solid genre firmly. I always liked everything that sounded good. Pop or rock, that did not matter. The time now is rock music sound better, but that is beyond question or? But someone asks me about my favorite song, I always respond with Urgent by Foreigner, the song made ??me dance to the rock for .... .

Lyrics:

You're not shy you get around
you wanna fly don't want your feet on the ground
you stay up you won't come down
you wanna live you wanna move to the sound

Got fire in your veins
burning hot but you don't feel the pain
your desire is insane
you can't stop until you do it again

But sometimes I wonder as I look in your eyes
maybe you're thinking of some other guy
but I know yes I know how to treat you right
that's why you call me in the middle of the night

You say it's urgent so urgent so urgent you just wait and see
how urgent our love can be it's urgent

You play tricks on my mind
you're everything but you're so hard to find
you're not warm you're sentimental
you're so extreme you can be so temperamental

But I'm not looking for a love that'll last
I know what I need and I need it fast
yea there's one thing in common that we both share
that's our need for each other anytime anywhere

It gets urgent so urgent you know it's urgent
I wanna tell you it's the same for me ooh ooh
so urgent you just wait and see
how urgent our love can be it's urgent

You say it's urgent make it fast make it urgent
do it quick do it urgent gotta run make it urgent
want it quickly urgent urgent emergency
urgent urgent emergency urgent urgent emergency
urgent urgent emergency so urgent emergency
vinnie65
Manager

Postby Benny » Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:57 pm

01. Foreigner - Urgent

Great number one which ends a very interesting countdown that I really enjoyed 8-)
Benny
Legend

Postby ShayLaB » Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:44 pm

Benny wrote:01. Foreigner - Urgent

Great number one which ends a very interesting countdown that I really enjoyed 8-)
+ 1
ShayLaB
Manager

Postby Marius » Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:40 pm

ShayLaB wrote:

+ 1
I want to marry all 3 Serebro chicks
Marius
Legend

Postby adg » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:11 am

potojr wrote:
ShayLaB wrote:

+ 1
You definately have great taste in music :D :wink:
adg
Superstar

Postby vinnie65 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:21 pm

Update coming soon!!!
vinnie65
Manager

Postby Benny » Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:55 pm

vinnie65 wrote:Update coming soon!!!
Fantastic, I already loved the first edition! 8-)
Benny
Legend

Return to Personal Charts