100 Reasons I Love 2003 [COMPLETE]

Moderators: JSparksFan, tdc2000, FreakyFlyBry

Postby SholasBoy » Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:14 pm

35 JUNIOR SENIOR - MOVE YOUR FEET
Reached #3 [March]

This one was like no other dance song about, it felt so original and exciting, fun and although it stuck around the top 10 for 9 weeks, it never got annoying or irritating to me. Almost like an old soul record, with a great retro animation video too.

34 STACIE ORRICO - STUCK
Reached #9 [August]

Stacie's first outing in the UK, felt a little less bratty than Avril but not as adult as Michelle Branch, catchy as hell!

33 JAVINE - SURRENDER (YOUR LOVE)
Reached #15 [November]

Perhaps because I hadn't heard the Diana Ross original, I thought this was such a hot song, catchy, soulful, dancey, love the breakdown at the end, I used to play this over and over again.

32 TOMCRAFT - LONELINESS
Reached #1 [May]

I didn't get into this one at first, I couldn't see why it was at #1. I love it now, I think the vocals sound similar to Kosheen, but they're not credited so I don't know who sings it, but I love the heavy baseline, it mixes in great with Storm's "Time To Burn" on one of the MOS Mash Up CD's.

31 MARK OWEN - ALONE WITHOUT YOU
Reached #26 [November]

This is my favourite Mark Owen solo outing, I was gutted it wasn't a bigger hit, the video was nice, I bought the album straight away from this and loved it.
SholasBoy
Chief Wig Snatcher

Postby steophonic » Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:25 pm

Junior Senior was a great little song - made me happy when I heard it.

Tomcraft though is amazing - one of my favourite dance tunes ever! It sounds so good when it's turned up as loud as possible!
steophonic
Music Junkie

Postby Tiger » Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:36 pm

33 JAVINE - SURRENDER (YOUR LOVE)
34 STACIE ORRICO - STUCK

Wonder where they both vanished to
These foolish games are tearing me apart

My CHART
Tiger
Lover Of (Mostly) Everything Pop

Postby Blondini » Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:47 pm

'Babes and Stacie brill. JrSr and Tomcraft good.
Blondini
Big Time Dreamer

Postby Thriller » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:52 pm

Don't know the Mark Owen one but the other four are great, especially Tomcraft which is a mega dance anthem!
Thriller

Postby Virgostar » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:16 am

Loooove that Junior Senior song, always makes me want to dance/makes me feel happy whenever I hear it. Listened to Stuck the other day and was reminded of how good a pop tune it is.
Let's embrace the point of no return.
Virgostar
Ex-Admin

Postby JimJim » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:19 am

'Stuck' is a fantastic pop song, one of my favourites definitely.

'Move Your Feet' is also agree, totally agree with the others, it just makes me happy + the video is very memorable.
JimJim
Elusive Chanteuse

Postby SholasBoy » Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:46 pm

30 SUGABABES - TOO LOST IN YOU
Reached #10 [December]

One of my favourite Sugababes songs from one of my favourite films, Love Actually, I can't think of this song without thinking of that film now.

29 SIOBHAN DONAGHY - TWIST OF FATE
Reached #52 [September]

I preferred this one to "Overrated", but for some reason it wasn't working for Siobhan, big flop. Great vocals, catchy nice pop song! So in the battle of 2 songs each, Siobhan comes that one place higher than Sugababes this year.

28 DUTCH FT.CRYSTAL WATERS - MY TIME
Reached #22 [September]

Underrated dance anthem that was hammered to death by Galaxy, the station I used to listen to, if any, I think it sounds a little similar to current hit "Hello" by Martin Solveig.

27 MISSY ELLIOTT - PASS THAT DUTCH
Reached #10 [November]

More Dutch and this time from Missy Elliott and the lead single from flop album, "This Is Not A Test", loved this track though and her performance of it, which I think was on the MTV Video Awards. Great beat and video!

26 CHRISTINA AGUILERA - BEAUTIFUL
Reached #1 [March]

First appearance from Christina in this list, definitely her strongest era, I think this song managed to do that empowerment theme well without being overly cheesy. Classic song that I'm sure everyone can take something from!
SholasBoy
Chief Wig Snatcher

Postby Plym » Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:53 pm

LOVE Ignition, Beautiful and Cry Me a River. All in my Top 10 for 2003.

Good to see Stole, Powerless, Eve & Tomcraft
SholasBoy wrote:Three was easily my favourite Sugababes album/era.
Mine too!
Plym
Take Care

Postby steophonic » Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:17 pm

I'm totally the same with "Too Lost In You" - I love the dancing scene where this song is played in "Love Actually". Brilliant song and brilliant movie.

Love Crystal Waters too, should have been a bigger hit. Missy is alright and Christina is good, even if slightly overplayed.
steophonic
Music Junkie

Postby Blondini » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:07 am

'Babes great - Siobhan good - only appreciated it much later as it never got much play originally and it seemed underwhelming.
Blondini
Big Time Dreamer

Postby Tiger » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:58 pm

26 CHRISTINA AGUILERA - BEAUTIFUL

Beautiful it is.

My CHART
Tiger

Postby SholasBoy » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:41 pm

Had to start using Amazon, since the site I usually use for pictures seems to be down :(

25 SINEAD QUINN - I CAN'T BREAK DOWN
Reached #2 [February]

The lead single from Fame Academy runner up, Sinead Quinn and at this point, everything was looking pretty rosy. The album was pretty good too, shame her follow up single, What You Need wasn't representative of that.

24 EMMA BUNTON - MAYBE
Reached #6 [October]

This has always been my favourite solo Spice Girl song, but I think my love of it has declined in the last few years, ask me a few years ago and this would've easily placed in my top 10 of 2003, my own fault, I really overplayed it. Still enjoy hearing it from time to time, almost like a song out of a musical.

23 DEEPEST BLUE - DEEPEST BLUE
Reached #7 [July]

One of my most favourite dance anthems, I thought this had such a rich tone to it, the vocal is stunning and if it's not the right tempo for you, I know a stunning slower version and an equally impressive trance version.

22 APPLETON - EVERYTHING EVENTUALLY
Reached #38 [July]

This was the least successful of Appleton's singles, but by far my favourite, it was light and dreamy, the single remix peed all over the album version, a stunning track!

21 MISSY ELLIOTT FT.LUDACRIS - GOSSIP FOLKS
Reached #9 [April]

A song that grew on me the more I heard it, huge beat, great great remixes by Mousse T and Fatboy Slim. This is Missy at her best, fun, funky, quirky, it's hiiip hop maaaaan! I looooove the spoken/rap part towards the end with the "gossip folks" gossiping about Missy and her coming over :lol:

Still To Come In Top 20....
5 Dance Anthems
2 artists still have 2 songs left
There might be one you think's a duff, but stand back cause it'll soon be complete!
SholasBoy
Chief Wig Snatcher

Postby Virgostar » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:39 pm

Not fussed on anything from the last lot, but as I mentioned earlier, I quite like Twist of Fate from Siobhan. Too Lost In You is alright...the Three era did produce some great singles.
Virgostar
Ex-Admin

Postby Plym » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:49 pm

Love Gossip Folks, especially FBS's remix! Video is awesome.
Plym
Take Care

Postby Thriller » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:35 pm

Dutch! Always forget about that one but yeah I loved it at the time and thought it'd be bigger.

"Beautiful" is one of Christina's best, such an amazing vocal as well considering it was all done in one take.

OMG I completely forgot Sinead Quinn ever existed let alone had a #2 hit! Yeah that was a really good song actually, shame she was a one-hit wonder.

"Maybe" is my favourite Emma song, love the structure how it keeps going round in circles back to that "da da da da" bit.

"Deepest Blue" was really cool, I bought their album but it was less dance and more bland guitar-pop unfortunately.

Was gutted that Appleton song flopped I thought it was really unique sounding and yeah the single version was a lot better, love the beat.

"Gossip Folks" is all about the Fatboy Slim mix, awesome tune!
Thriller

Postby Tiger » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:38 pm

23 DEEPEST BLUE - DEEPEST BLUE
24 EMMA BUNTON - MAYBE
25 SINEAD QUINN - I CAN'T BREAK DOWN

I think those are all good and quality pop songs

My CHART
Tiger

Postby Blondini » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:40 pm

Much preferred Sinead's second single - it had an edge the first one didn't have - she looked stunning and it's a shame she vanished.
Blondini
Big Time Dreamer

Postby steophonic » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:43 pm

Quite liked Sinead Quinn & Deepest Blue is one of my all time favourite dance anthems!!!
steophonic
Music Junkie

Postby SholasBoy » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:28 pm

20 SEAN PAUL - GET BUSY
Reached #4 [May]

Like Wayne Wonder later in the year, this one had the odd trick of doing brilliantly and sustaining a steady chart run, before suddenly dropping out of the chart like a rock the next week... great introduction to Dancehall music for many, this was probably the heaviest of the four songs from that album. Great club track and dare I say his most memorable release?

19 HILARY DUFF - SO YESTERDAY
Reached #9 [November]

Hilary's first 2 UK singles, this and "Come Clean" were great for me, most things since have been a bit dodgy. This is a really cute pop song, sang really nicely.

18 JASON NEVINS FT.HOLLY JAMES - I'M IN HEAVEN
Reached #9 [August]

Like Deepest Blue this one had that same sort of rich production just demanding sunshine and sea. Holly James for girlband, Tymes 4 was the vocalist and the sample was the heavily used "Human Nature" by Michael Jackson.

17 CHRISTINA AGUILERA - FIGHTER
Reached #3 [June]

I'm sure someone will be ready to jump and correct me, but the only other song I can think of in the last decade with a vocal as powerful as this in those notes is Beyonce's "Deja Vu", this song is near impossible to replicate, easily one of Christina's best, though I wasn't massively fussed on it at the time.

16 BOOMKAT - THE WRECKONING
Reached #37 [May]

There was definitely an internet buzz about this track, but this was back in the days where that meant little to chart success. I was still expecting more from this attitude packed punchy pop track.
SholasBoy
Chief Wig Snatcher

Postby steophonic » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:13 pm

That Jason Nevins one is great and has that summer vibe!

Another great Christina track - glad you ranked this about "Beautiful" - this was by far Christina's strongest era!
steophonic
Music Junkie

Postby Virgostar » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:43 pm

Fighter is the only Christina song I like, so woo for that. Correctamundo about Get Busy being Sean Paul's most memorable release - I'm pretty sure everyone knows that tune! (Another one I enjoy.)
Virgostar
Ex-Admin

Postby Blondini » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:35 am

Fighter is OK, the idea of Boomkat was better than the reality. Taryn Manning ought to be huge in one area of art (acting/ modelling/ music).
Blondini
Big Time Dreamer

Postby JimJim » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:44 am

'So Yesterday' - Guilty pleasure to the max! I love it :oops: It was a big hit here, peaking at #8 and spending 20 weeks in the top 50

I also really liked 'The Wreckoning', it did a lot better here, peaking at #16.
JimJim
Elusive Chanteuse

Postby Tiger » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:32 am

16 BOOMKAT - THE WRECKONING
17 CHRISTINA AGUILERA - FIGHTER
19 HILARY DUFF - SO YESTERDAY

I kind of remember you liking Boomkat and it's sort of your bland of unique Pop

My CHART
Tiger

Return to Personal Charts