33 1/3 - playlist for: Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds

Moderators: tdc2000, FreakyFlyBry

Postby CrazyCrazy » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:59 pm

Great thread idea, will try and check these out! :D
CrazyCrazy
Legend

Postby Chun » Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:00 pm

Nick Cave,... I love Murder Ballads. Is there more of the same?
Chun
Legend

Postby ShayLaB » Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:06 pm

chun1702 wrote:Nick Cave,... I love Murder Ballads. Is there more of the same?
I shall find out soon over the coming weeks and report back.

If the theme of those songs are of interest I'd point you towards a rather fab Johnny Cash compilation called 'Murder'.

Allmusic review of Murder
ShayLaB
Manager

Postby Chun » Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:13 pm

Thanks. It is more Nick Cave's voice and the theme. It has to be Nick Cave.
Chun
Legend

Postby ShayLaB » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:11 pm

Dig!!! Lazarus Dig!!! - 2008

Very impressive...tbh I'll be surprised if this is not the strongest album in their catalogue. I had to listen to this many, many times before deciding which tracks to choose. Mr Cave sports a heroic moustache in many of the clips.

From allmusic:

ante once again. The elegance and poetry, the drama and tension of Cave's more poetic notions are balanced by his Sade-ian humor and social criticisms and his willingness to blend flesh and spirit as two sides of the same coin. Along with this comes a band's sound that is incredibly evolved and unself-conscious. It's an album where a fire breathing, rootsy, garage rock band creates a soundtrack to modern fun house life: where the stakes are high, the odds are hopelessly stacked, and there is little left to do but laugh at its dreadful irony.
Added to the playlist:
Dig, Lazarus, Dig!!!
Today's Lesson
Night Of The Lotus Eaters
We Call Upon the Author
Lie Down Here (And Be My Girl)
Jesus of the Moon
ShayLaB
Manager

Postby ShayLaB » Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:04 pm

The Good Son - 1990

The Good Son is the sixth album by Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, released in 1990 (see 1990 in music). It was preceded by the release of "The Ship Song/The Train Song" single. "The Weeping Song/Cock's 'n' Asses" was later also released as a single. After an album as dark and intense as Tender Prey, some fans were disappointed to hear a relaxed and loving Nick Cave on this record. The change of mood was due in great deal to Nick Cave falling in love with Brazilian journalist Viviane Carneiro, and an apparently salutary spell in rehab which purged the despair and squalor of the previous two albums. However, today, most fans consider this album as a classic that was unfairly judged at the time. Indeed, "The Weeping Song" and "The Ship Song" are now Bad Seeds standards.
Added to the Playlist:
The Good Son
The Weeping Song
The Ship Song
The Hammer Song
The Witness Song
ShayLaB
Manager

Postby ShayLaB » Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:19 pm

Tender Prey - 1988

This is probably the last album where the goth influences dominate so clearly. I read of it's exalted status but it's not really that enjoyable...there is a darkness and gloom that seems to prevail that makes it hard to like. The Mercy Seat is fantastic.

Tender Prey is the fifth album by Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, released in 1988 on Mute Records.

Tender Prey contains Cave's 'signature' tune "The Mercy Seat", which he has subsequently played at almost all of his live performances since 1988, and was covered by Johnny Cash. "

In October 2010, Tender Prey (1988) was listed in the book, 100 Best Australian Albums with 1997's The Boatman's Call in the Top 30.
Added to the playlist:
The Mercy Seat
ShayLaB
Manager

Postby CrazyCrazy » Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:37 pm

ShayLaB wrote:there is a darkness and gloom that seems to prevail that makes it hard to like.
Sounds right up my street! :lol:
CrazyCrazy
Legend

Postby ShayLaB » Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:41 pm

crazycrazy wrote:
ShayLaB wrote:there is a darkness and gloom that seems to prevail that makes it hard to like.
Sounds right up my street! :lol:
There is another thing that I dislike about the early albums. Lets be kind and say that his singing voice has matured and improved noticeably over the years.
ShayLaB
Manager

Postby CrazyCrazy » Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:47 pm

I can't get into this guy, I'll give it time! :wink:
CrazyCrazy
Legend

Postby Chun » Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:49 pm

Hey, these are all new to me. Also liked the Mercy Seat, loved The Hammer Song and the Weeping Song. The Ship Song I liked best instantly, it is very catchy. Basically, I guess I'll love the whole The Good Son album :o I'll stick with it for the moment and listen to the other albums later. Thanks for introducing!
Chun
Legend

Postby Chun » Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:50 pm

crazycrazy wrote:I can't get into this guy, I'll give it time! :wink:
crazycrazy, listen to Murder Ballads album first I bet you will like it!!
Chun
Legend

Postby CrazyCrazy » Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:53 pm

chun1702 wrote:
crazycrazy wrote:I can't get into this guy, I'll give it time! :wink:
crazycrazy, listen to Murder Ballads album first I bet you will like it!!
Ok I'll try this one then thanks bud! :wink:
CrazyCrazy
Legend

Postby ShayLaB » Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:55 pm

Henry's Dream - 1992

This is a great album filled with noisy, rambunctious tracks. The tracks form a loose narrative with splendidly vivid tales of drink, debauchery and murder. Thoroughly recommended and along with Dig!!! Lazarus Dig!!!, the best album so far.

Henry's Dream is the seventh album released by Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, in spring 1992. There are possible references to John Berryman's series of poems The Dream Songs, which logs the dreams of the protagonist Henry. This album remains a big favourite amongst Bad Seeds fans, although Nick Cave himself was reportedly unhappy with the production by David Briggs. Briggs preferred a "live-in-the-studio" method he had used with Neil Young. This led to Cave and Mick Harvey re-mixing the album, and ultimately to the Live Seeds recordings, as Cave wanted the songs "done justice".
Added to the playlist:
Papa Won't Leave You, Henry
When I First Came to Town
Straight To You
Brother, My Cup Is Empty
Loom of the Land
John Finns' wife
ShayLaB
Manager

Postby ShayLaB » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:08 pm

Murder Ballads - 1996

In some ways, Murder Ballads is the record Nick Cave was waiting to make his entire career. Death and violence have always haunted his music, even when he wasn't explicitly singing about the subject. On Murder Ballads, he sings about nothing but death in the most gruesome, shocking fashion. Divided between originals and covers, the record is awash in both morbid humour and sobering horror, as the Bad Seeds provide an appropriate backdrop for the carnage, alternating between blues, country, and lounge-jazz.
Splendid...full of riveting tales and gallows humour. The Kylie duet is probably their most recognisable song...certainly their biggest hit in the UK.

Added to the playlist:
Stagger Lee
Where the Wild Roses Grow
O'Malley's Bar
ShayLaB
Manager

Postby Chun » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:59 pm

Awesome. I would add

The Curse Of Millhaven
The Kindness Of Strangers
Death Is Not The End
Henry Lee

& thank you for indroducing Henry's Dream album.
Chun
Legend

Postby ShayLaB » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:11 pm

From Here to Eternity - 1994

From Her to Eternity is the debut album released by Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds in 1984. The title is a pun on the book/movie From Here to Eternity.

After the breakup of Nick Cave's former band The Birthday Party, Cave formed a new project with former band member Mick Harvey. Cave and Harvey were joined by a semi-fluid group of bandmates, initially including Einstürzende Neubauten member Blixa Bargeld on guitar, Hugo Race on guitar, and former Magazine member Barry Adamson on guitar, bass, and piano. After some studio work, the band's premiere public performance was held on New Year's Eve, 1983 in Melbourne, under the name "Nick Cave - Man Or Myth?", followed by a tour. The band then briefly called themselves "Nick Cave and the Cavemen" before adopting the "Bad Seeds" moniker, in reference to the final Birthday Party release, The Bad Seed EP
I really don't like it. The sound is very raw, the melodies are buried and the vocals are distractingly poor. In the Ghetto is easily the best song here but it pales in comparison to the original. Of the rest the title track probably floats to the top. Added to the playlist...nothing this time.

From Her To Eternity.

In the Ghetto
ShayLaB
Manager

Postby CrazyCrazy » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:38 pm

Just listening because Chun reckons I'd like it, 'Stagger Lee' is great and violent/rude (tut tut)! :o :lol: Yay I might get into him at last! :D
CrazyCrazy
Legend

Postby Chun » Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:20 pm

Yay! :)
Chun
Legend

Postby ShayLaB » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:46 pm

The Firstborn is Dead - 1985

The Firstborn Is Dead is the second studio album released by the post-punk band Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds. It was first released in 1985. On this record, singer Nick Cave continued his fascination with the American South, with its references to Elvis Presley and bluesmen like Blind Lemon Jefferson.
The second album has more of a blues influence but is really doesn't hit the mark for me. Aside from the opening track, Tupelo, I am struggling to find anything I like as much as he produced later.

Added to the Playlist:

Tupelo
Long Train Suffering
ShayLaB
Manager

Postby ShayLaB » Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:46 pm

No More Shall We Part - 2001

Allmusic:
No More Shall We Part ends a four-year silence from Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds. A best-of was issued in 2000, but no new material has appeared since 1997's landmark album, The Boatman's Call. With that record Cave had finally delivered what everyone knew he was capable of: an entire album of deeply tragic and beautiful love songs without irony, sarcasm, or violent resolution. It appears that The Boatman's Call has altered the manner in which Cave writes songs, and the Bad Seeds illustrate them.
I didn't know about this album until recently. It is uniformly excellent. Most of the songs are ballads...a bit like The Boatman's Call...but they do not feel as oppressive here and it's a more enjoyable affair. This is one of the strongest of their albums I have encountered so far. Thoroughly recommended.

Added to the Playlist:
As I Sat Sadly By Her Side
Fifteen Feet of Pure White Snow
God Is In The House
Oh My Lord
Darker With the Day
Love Letter
ShayLaB
Manager

Postby ShayLaB » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:16 pm

Your Funeral...My Trial 1986

Your Funeral... My Trial is the fourth studio album by Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, released on November 3, 1986 by Mute Records. Your Funeral... My Trial was originally released as a double EP. The album was issued on CD with a different running order and the bonus track "Scum". During this period in his life, Cave was steeped in heroin addiction, perhaps evidenced by the melancholy, desperate mood of this album.
One of the earlier albums and I have some some of the same reservations as expressed earlier. There are some good songs but the whole thing can be heavy going. I must be getting old...I prefer the albums after he went 'soft'.

Added to the playlist:
The Carny
Your Funeral... My Trial
Hard on for Love
ShayLaB
Manager

Postby ShayLaB » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:34 pm

Noctruma - 2003

It is truly sad when artists with great vision and imagination, whose work is filled with power and beauty, just kind of lose it all at once. This could be the first record Nick Cave has made that feels like he is just doing it because it is his job to make records and be Nick Cave. Everything is predictable and sounds like something Cave has done before. The Bad Seeds' edges are smoothed over by the too-slick production; Cave's lyrics are not provocative or funny or much of anything worth hearing.
That's a harsh review on the Allmusic site. It may unfairly exaggerate the problems because the standards have been so high previously. However it does correctly identify that this is clearly not amongst their best. I have a preference for the albums from 'The Good Son' onwards but this is weakest studio album during that time.

Added to the Playlist:
None...I was going to add one as a token gesture but the best song here (the opening Wonderful Life)
doesn't match some of the songs I have left off other albums.
ShayLaB
Manager

Postby ShayLaB » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:16 pm

Last edited by ShayLaB on Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ShayLaB
Manager

Postby Chun » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:50 pm

Great list, I'm still not finished listening to all the albums.
Chun
Legend

Return to Personal Charts