Coldplay - Paradise
3%
Ed Sheeran - The A Team
3%
Jessie J featuring B.o.B. - Price Tag
No votes

Total votes : 29

Postby matthew_dixon » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:47 pm

So - time for my annual lookback of the year - and what a year it's been...

I thought I'd be really struggling to get a top 100 - but I've managed it. Okay, the first few batches won't be huge favourites of mine, but higher up ones definitely will be.

Older songs do sometimes appear, if they're ones i consider sufficiently "2011" - and indeed some huge favourites will rank rather randomly but rather low in the list to take account of the fact they're actually not really 2011.

So - let's start by asking you which will be my No. 1 choice?
matthew_dixon
Site Editor

Postby SeeForever » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:49 pm

I really have no idea!! Though nice to see Adele 3 times!! In fact most of those songs are really good, including the only Jessie J song I like

Set Fire To The Rain my favourite of those so I'll pick that one :D
RIP The Queen Of Disco
SeeForever
Legend

Postby SholasBoy » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:51 pm

Interested by this, since you don't seem to comment much on music anymore!
SholasBoy
Chief Wig Snatcher

Postby steophonic » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:06 pm

I wasn't expecting to know all of your poll options, nevermind actually like them all!

I have a feeling that Noah and the Whale will come out on top here! Should be interesting....
steophonic
Music Junkie

Postby UKMusicLova » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:30 pm

I am voting for Birdy but I really am not sure!
UKMusicLova
Legend

Postby Play » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:42 pm

I chose Set Fire To The Rain :D

I'm looking forward to your chart, after discovering quite good songs from last year's!
Play
Legend

Postby matthew_dixon » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:54 pm

Indeed - I very rarely seem to comment on music, and there's a few obscure ones deliberately left off my poll, so as not to give away surprises. Anyway, I think I'm ready to kick off...

100. Amy Winehouse - Back To Black
As I said, there's a few non-2011 songs in this list, and we start with the epic "Back To Black". It was never a top 20 hit first time around, but it came back as a massive top 10 smash due to the sad news this August that Amy Winehouse had passed away. RIP to a legend.

99. Kelly Clarkson - Mr Know It All
In at 99 - it's the comeback of Kelly Clarkson. She's certainly had better tracks in the past, but it's a decent slice of pop music.

98. Pink - F***in' Perfect
Continuing in the rock-tinged-pop theme, we have Pink and her early 2011 hit "F***in' Perfect". It's a decent slice of pop music, but again she's had far better.

97. You Me At Six - Loverboy
You know, I've never quite seen the fuss with You Me At Six - and I guess that's why one of the few rock hits of 2011 lands rather low in my list. Yes, they're decent, and they're one of very few rock bands who are actually selling these days, but there's been plenty better in the past.

96. Hayley Westenra - World In Union
In case you didn't realise, there was a Rugby World Cup this year - and as is customary, a star from the country in question sings "World In Union". Having already used Dame Kiri Te Kanawa LAST time they hosted it, it was Hayley Westenra's turn to perform it for New Zealand. We didn't get a version of "Swing Low Sweet Chariot" this year - but seeing as England didn't exactly do that well, it's no big loss!

95. Leona Lewis and Avicii - Collide
I wasn't sure who "Avicii" was at first - presuming it to be the name of an Italian based popera group or something. Turns out it's Swedish DJ Tim Berg. Anyway, this was a decent pop song from Leona - but again far from her best.

94. Lady Gaga - Marry The Night
You better believe it - this is the first of FIVE entries on my chart for Lady Gaga this year! :o It's a bit of a standard club song I guess, but there's something about this one that I do really like.

93. Lady Gaga - You and I
and showing just how versatile she is, here's Lady Gaga again - this time doing a country song! :o I wonder what the US rednecks make of this one? Have to say this was a really pleasant surprise!

92. Rizzle Kicks - When I Was A Youngster
At 92 - it's the first of three appearances for UK ska-rap duo Rizzle Kicks. It's so incredibly resfreshing to see some ska back in the charts - and the sort of stuff that Madness would be very happy to be producing these days. Oh if we could only have a Madness featuring Rizzle Kicks track - now THAT would be ska-heaven!

91. Nickelback - When We Stand Together
Well yes, Nickelback came back, and it wasn't really up there with their best - but looking back it really does deserve a top 100 entry. Somehow or other I was set to put Jason Derulo's latest track into my top 100 until a last minute amendment!
matthew_dixon
Site Editor

Postby CrazyCrazy » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:12 am

Interesting! :o :D
CrazyCrazy
Legend

Postby Play » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:34 am

This should be sticky! :lol:

Love love #100
Play
Legend

Postby FreakyFlyBry » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:53 am

That's a tough call, since all I tend to know of your music taste is the retro stuff... but I voted for "Someone Like You" for your #1.

matthew_dixon wrote:100. Amy Winehouse - Back To Black
97. You Me At Six - Loverboy
91. Nickelback - When We Stand Together
Woo for those, especially Kelly Clarkson :D I think "Marry The Night", incidentally enough, will be a 2012 song for me :lol:
FreakyFlyBry
No Title, No Topic

Postby Matti88 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:14 pm

I just love year-end countdowns! I've got a feeling that Adele will win, but I've picked Christina Perri ;)

Nice to see Gaga there. I hope that rest of her songs (or just one more) released this year will be a bit higher :D
Matti88
Personal Assistant

Postby Marius » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:52 pm

FreakyFlyBry wrote:That's a tough call, since all I tend to know of your music taste is the retro stuff... but I voted for "Someone Like You" for your #1.
Ahem. Good to see some songs that I like in the list especially Noah. In the first batch I only know Winehouse and Pink, both ok, neither special.
I want to marry all 3 Serebro chicks
Marius
Legend

Postby matthew_dixon » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:43 pm

90. James Vincent McMorrow - Higher Love
At 90, it's a Steve Winwood classic covered by a new indie singer who has an incredibly high pitched voice! Seriously, he's perennially in his falsetto it seems. Still, he does a very pleasant rendition of the song - it's just a shame he didn't really get a hit out of it.

89. Rihanna - California King Bed
Second up, and it's quite a surprise for my chart. With rough estimate positions of 105 (Princess Of China), 218 (All Of The Lights), 269 (We Found Love), 328 (Fly), 336 (Cheers (Drink To That), 382 (S&M), 391 (Talk That Talk) and 392 (You Da One), it's fair to say that Rihanna is not one of my favourite acts of the year. However, "California King Bed" is something a bit different for me - it's actually a really strong song from Rihanna - with some definite emotion in it that most of her songs this year have really lacked. It would probably be higher if it was sung by a stronger singer though...

88. Example - Changed The Way You Kiss Me
It seems like others will have this one a lot higher than me. Example finally got himself a No. 1 hit with this song, and became one of the biggest stars in the UK music scene. I still think he's had better songs earlier in his career myself, but this is good nevertheless.

87. Lady Antebellum - Need You Now
We never really "got" "Need You Now" when it came out. True enough it was an enormous hit in the USA, but in the UK it was decidedly more midtable, and I didn't take too much notice of it. However, it did just about well enough this year to be added to Sixpack - and ended up lasting so long in the contest that I think of it to an extent as one of the songs of 2011. Great modern country song.

86. Wombats - Jump Into The Fog
At 86, it's time to jump into the fog with Scouse band the Wombats. There's one more entry still to come from these guys - a band who are still producing very decent indie music.

85. Alexis Jordan - Good Girl
Now I know this isn't my usual style by any stretch of the imagination - but I do just really like this song. It's a great piece of pop music and whilst it wasn't quite as strong as "Happiness", it was still good.

84. Matt Cardle - Run For Your Life
One of the biggest contenders for "letdown of the year" would have to be the debut single proper from Matt Cardle. I've just realised that I ought to have included the Seven Summers tracks that I discovered this year - as they had some great songs - but sadly Matt got given an incredibly dull debut solo track, and thus his career isn't going to go that far. It's a real shame as he had great talent, just got dealt a bland song! I'd expected his debut single would be a top 10 challenger, not limping in at 84!

83. Swede Mason - Masterchef Synesthesia
The award for whackiest song to make the top 40 in 2011 would really have to go to Swede Mason and an absolutely ingenious sample-led dance track based around the words of Gregg Wallace and John Torode from Masterchef. Largely based around Gregg Wallace's summary of a cheesecake he's just tasted ("I like the buttery biscuit base"), I would love to actually see the episode where that line comes from!

82. Goo Goo Dolls - Iris
At 82 - it's a bit of a huge US classic. "Iris" is one of the biggest hits of all time in the USA, so probably it would surprise US members when I say that its big chart year in the UK was actually 2011! Thanks to a really strong X-Factor performance, it got itself a top 3 placing - who'd have thought that the act to get a song to peak highest due to performing it on X Factor 2011 would actually be Frankie Cocozza?!? It would be higher still if it were actually a 2011 hit - but I have to accept it's essentially a 90s song.

81. Glee Cast - You Can't Stop The Beat
You better believe it! :o Glee covers are generally relatively poor karaoke. However, there's a few songs out there that were pretty much perfect choices for Glee - and the Hairspray classic "You Can't Stop The Beat" really has to be one of them. There's plenty of other Glee songs I considered, but they generally fell really far short of my chart, with only "Loser Like Me" and "Sing" as other potential contenders for my top 100.
matthew_dixon
Site Editor

Postby CrazyCrazy » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:55 pm

Amy Winehouse - Back To Black
Lady Gaga - Marry The Night

I only like these songs so far. :wink:
CrazyCrazy
Legend

Postby FreakyFlyBry » Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:21 am

matthew_dixon wrote:89. Rihanna - California King Bed
82. Goo Goo Dolls - Iris
81. Glee Cast - You Can't Stop The Beat
Woo fo those ones :D
FreakyFlyBry
No Title, No Topic

Postby JSparksFan » Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:24 am

I voted for "Rolling In The Deep" in the poll. :)

Lots of great songs so far, namely: "Back To Black", "Mr. Know It All", "F**kin' Perfect", "Collide", "Marry The Night", "You and I", "California King Bed", "Need You Now", and "Run For Your Life". :)
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby king_oxymoron » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:16 am

I voted 'Jar of Hearts' for the win.

I like Mr Know It All, Perfect, You and I, California King Bed, Changed The Way You Kissed Me, Run for Your Life and Iris a great deal (though I can't believe you called Frankie's performance strong)..

.. but my favourites are Need You Now, Good Girl, Jump Into The Fog and When I Was a Youngster.. :lol: at you including that Masterchef song!
king_oxymoron
Lickin' On Both Sides

Postby Benny » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:42 am

82. Goo Goo Dolls - Iris

I like all those, especially the three non-2011 songs :D

"Collide" should've been a bigger hit.
Benny
Legend

Postby MostFierce » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:46 pm

89. Rihanna - California King Bed
84. Matt Cardle - Run For Your Life
82. Goo Goo Dolls - Iris

:wink: love all this...especially some of the classic made it!
MostFierce
Manager

Postby steophonic » Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:57 pm

This looks like one of your most diverse countdowns ever - I like it!

Thought Example was more of a contender for your worst chart, so very happy to see it here! Also shocked to see a Rihanna song in there! :o Kudos for charting Alexis Jordan too.

I thought that Matt Cardle song was bland, but 'Iris' is a classic.

The fact you charted "Masterchef Synesthesia" is brilliant! :lol:
steophonic
Music Junkie

Postby adg » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:47 pm

Example is my favourite here. Good to see You Me At Six and Nickelback too 8-)
adg
Superstar

Postby Virgostar » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:44 pm

These aren't too bad:

82. Goo Goo Dolls - Iris

As I mentioned previously, I can't watch the F***in Perfect video without getting emotional. Hits me every time.
Let's embrace the point of no return.
Virgostar
Ex-Admin

Postby matthew_dixon » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:52 pm

Interesting to see all the comments about Swede Mason. He did a Jeremy Clarkson beatbox one as well, and from Jeremy Clarkson, where do we go to? Well...

80. Tracy Chapman - Fast Car
It was Michael Collings who helped "Fast Car" get a new lease of life as his Britain's Got Talent performance saw the song rocket into the UK top 5 - higher than it even originally got back in 1988!

79. Bad Meets Evil featuring Bruno Mars - Lighters
The name Eminem is most definitely one that sells records VERY easily. Therefore, it has always bemused me that for some reason because duo side-project Bad Meets Evil doesn't actually credit Eminem's name people simply don't buy it. Their debut in 1999 barely made it into the top 75, as did their first "comeback" single of 2011. However, they got the help of Bruno Mars and the pairing of Bruno Mars and Eminem resulted in a brilliant song!

78. Red Hot Chili Peppers - The Adventures Of Rain Dance Maggie
A contender for the biggest flop of the year would have to be this total failure to score a top 40 hit from Red Hot Chili Peppers! They've had far better songs in their day, but even with this track they deserved a spot in my top 100 of the year.

77. Anna Rossinelli - In Love For A While
This year's Eurovision for me largely saw the right songs making it through to the final, but then an absolutely shocking result in the final contest. Switzerland, for example, came last in the final, despite having this absolutely wonderful song entered! How many more Eurovision moments will feature?

76. One Direction - What Makes You Beautiful
Yes, I can't really believe this either. Matt Cardle's debut single proper is beaten by, amongst other things, One Direction's debut! I'm hardly an obvious fan of boybands, but I just think the message behind this song is a great one - often the most attractive girls around are those who don't necessarily think they're beautiful.

75. Rebecca Black - Friday :lol:
Sorry - but this is a perfect example of "so bad it's good". It just gets stuck in your head because it really is so lyrically dreadful and musically simple. It was just SUCH a phenomenon though that I got rather sucked in. Don't worry guys though, there's no Shardinay on this chart!

74. Gerry Rafferty - Baker Street
At 100, we had Amy Winehouse. Now at 74, it's another of the names we lost in 2011. It was back in January that rock legend Gerry Rafferty left this world, and in tribute, "Baker Street" found itself nearly back in the top 40. It's an absolutely fantastic song, and a great example of a legend at his best.

73. Calling - Wherever You Will Go
Another older song next, the Calling and their fantastic rock track "Wherever You Will Go". Thanks to Charlene Soraia, it found itself back in the top 40 this year. Charlene's cover is still to come, but how high?

72. Nicki Minaj - Super Bass
Well who predicted Nicki Minaj would feature in my chart, eh? Hardly my expected taste, this is just a fantastic example of someone with a definite talent being able to show that talent. To think when I first heard her (on that dreadful Will.I.Am duet ruination of "Video Killed The Radio Star") I thought she was dreadful!

71. Florence and the Machine - What The Water Gave Me
Florence lands in 71st place with the first of her two entries in this list. It's a very decent track from her, but I can't help feeling she's had better on the previous album. Thankfully the second single was better - and is thus still to come.
matthew_dixon
Site Editor

Postby FreakyFlyBry » Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:22 am

matthew_dixon wrote:80. Tracy Chapman - Fast Car
79. Bad Meets Evil featuring Bruno Mars - Lighters
78. Red Hot Chili Peppers - The Adventures Of Rain Dance Maggie
76. One Direction - What Makes You Beautiful
74. Gerry Rafferty - Baker Street
73. Calling - Wherever You Will Go
Woo for those ones, even if 3 of them are old :lol:

Shame on you for including Rebecca Black though! :P
FreakyFlyBry
No Title, No Topic

Postby king_oxymoron » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:51 am

I hate all the old ones being included so I'll just refrain :P OH and from Rebecca Black too!

One Direction, Nicki Minaj and Florence are all good tracks, none made it into my chart though!
king_oxymoron
Lickin' On Both Sides

Return to Year End Personal Charts