My Tribute To Whitney Houston. [#100-#1] COMPLETED!!!

Moderators: JSparksFan, tdc2000, FreakyFlyBry

Which Whitney song will be crowned my favourite?

How Will I Know
26%
I Wanna Dance With Somebody (Who Loves Me)
26%
I'm Your Baby Tonight
11%
I Will Always Love You
30%
Exhale (Shoop Shoop)
4%
I Believe In You and Me
No votes
Same Script, Different Cast
4%

Total votes : 27

Postby JSparksFan » Thu May 10, 2012 4:27 am

One of the pioneering forces behind the rise to prominence of African-American divas, Whitney was the very first of the Vocal Trinity. With her signature powerful vocals and her charming personality, she quickly became one of music's biggest superstars and remains one of the best selling female artists of all-time.

Her tragic passing earlier this year left the entire music industry in shock and fans grieved the passing of a truly incredible talent. But as Whitney said, "We all die. The goal is not to live forever. The goal is to create something that will." And indeed, she has.

So long live the memories, long live her music, long live "The Voice".

The celebration of her legacy begins soon...

Last edited by JSparksFan on Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:38 pm, edited 24 times in total.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Tripolis » Thu May 10, 2012 9:18 am

It's between "How Will I Know", "I Wanna Dance With Somebody (Who Loves Me)" (even though I'm bored of it somehow already) and "I'm Your Baby Tonight" for me.

But since I'm so into "I'm Your Baby Tonight" recently, my vote goes to that song.
Tripolis
Manager

Postby Play » Thu May 10, 2012 9:28 am

I chose How Will I Know

Nevertheless looking forward to the countdown!
Play
Legend

Postby joel77m77 » Thu May 10, 2012 4:06 pm

Looking forward to this countdown. I voted I Will Always Love You as it's a CLASSIC, but there's so many that could be #1. :D
joel77m77
Superstar

Postby swiftie13 » Fri May 11, 2012 1:45 am

Epic picture! Can't wait to see your Whitney tatse. I hope I won't leave you hanging as I don't know much of her music :oops: :lol: She's lovely though, amazing voice.
God Bless You... Akipaul> My Week Chart Potterhead.
swiftie13
Legend

Postby Tiger » Fri May 11, 2012 5:13 am

How Will I Know

:D
These foolish games are tearing me apart

My CHART
Tiger
Lover Of (Mostly) Everything Pop

Postby BeeFan » Fri May 11, 2012 5:38 am

I'm looking forward to this :D

though I barely know her early album stuff :oops: but I will comment on what I know :wink:
BeeFan
Manager

Postby phoenix98 » Fri May 11, 2012 5:47 am

hmmm...tough call. only a few of those tunes have topped your daily chart, and none for more than a couple days. "How Will I Know" is definitely my favorite of the bunch...so I'd love to see it win...so I went with that! ;)

any rate, I'm certainly looking forward to this! like your Carrie and Jordin countdowns, this should prove to be quite educational, since I'm only familiar with Whitney's singles (and a couple album tracks that topped your daily chart).
phoenix98
Legend

Postby BeeFan » Fri May 11, 2012 3:19 pm

I voted IWALY ....and damn I'll be pissed if it misses your Top 5 :wink:
BeeFan
Manager

Postby GoodBoyGoneBad » Fri May 11, 2012 6:08 pm

Let's try with How Will I Know...!
GoodBoyGoneBad
Louise Oriole

Postby Wardo » Fri May 11, 2012 11:20 pm

So let's celebrate!

Good choice, Akini. Looking forward to it.
Wardo
Knight of Cups

Postby JSparksFan » Sat May 12, 2012 1:23 am

Thanks for all the feedback, guys! It's much appreciated! :D

Tripolis wrote:It's between "How Will I Know", "I Wanna Dance With Somebody (Who Loves Me)" (even though I'm bored of it somehow already) and "I'm Your Baby Tonight" for me.

But since I'm so into "I'm Your Baby Tonight" recently, my vote goes to that song.
Great pick! :wink:

Play wrote:I chose How Will I Know

Nevertheless looking forward to the countdown!
Ah, one of her very first #1's. 8-)

joel77m77 wrote:Looking forward to this countdown. I voted I Will Always Love You as it's a CLASSIC, but there's so many that could be #1. :D
It's a classic indeed and definitely her signature song. :)

swiftie13 wrote:Epic picture! Can't wait to see your Whitney tatse. I hope I won't leave you hanging as I don't know much of her music :oops: :lol: She's lovely though, amazing voice.
I hope so too. :P

Tiger wrote:How Will I Know

:D
An incredible song. 8-)

BeeFan wrote:I'm looking forward to this :D

though I barely know her early album stuff :oops: but I will comment on what I know :wink:
I hope this countdown will introduce you to some great songs. :D

phoenix98 wrote:hmmm...tough call. only a few of those tunes have topped your daily chart, and none for more than a couple days. "How Will I Know" is definitely my favorite of the bunch...so I'd love to see it win...so I went with that! ;)

any rate, I'm certainly looking forward to this! like your Carrie and Jordin countdowns, this should prove to be quite educational, since I'm only familiar with Whitney's singles (and a couple album tracks that topped your daily chart).
I'm sure that you'll find a handful of tracks that will just blow you away. I know she'll never stack up to Mariah for you but I hope you love her just a bit more after this tribute. :D

BeeFan wrote:I voted IWALY ....and damn I'll be pissed if it misses your Top 5 :wink:
I doubt you'll be the only one who'll be upset if that happens. :lol:

GoodBoyGoneBad wrote:Let's try with How Will I Know...!
Wow, that one's definitely getting a large number of votes! Let's see if you're right this time around. :wink:

Wardo wrote:So let's celebrate!

Good choice, Akini. Looking forward to it.
The celebration begins tonight! I'm glad to have you along for the ride. :)
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Sat May 12, 2012 2:18 am

#100.

Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas.

Kicking off the the tribute, we've got my least fave Whitney song, her cover of the traditional Christmas classic, "Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas". Houston's vocals lack the fullness of their 90's prime here leaving some of the notes sounding choppy. Though it's not unlistenable, I have heard many superior covers of this.

#99.

I'll Be Home For Christmas.

Another of Whitney's covers of a Christmas standard, "I'll Be Home For Christmas" bites the dust in this first batch. Much like "Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas", Houston's singing on this track sounds a bit weak, with her cutting notes short and not reaching for those glory notes like before.

#98.

Thinking About You.

Released to R&B stations in early 1985, "Thinking About You" is my least favourite song from Houston's self-titled debut album. The song is a textbook example of a song that drags on for far too much longer than it should, and as it has no real highlight, it's a bit of a borefest.

#97.

Whatchulookinat.

Released as the lead single of her Just Whitney... album, "Whatchulookinat" was ripped apart by critics. As her lowest ranking (official) single, it's pretty obvious that I agree with the critics on this track. It has no real 'oomph' to it and it sounds so uninspired and unconvincing.

#96.

Little Drummer Boy.

Whitney's Christmas covers are starting to fall like flies now! Featuring vocals from her daughter, Bobbi Kristina, "Little Drummer Boy" is a cute little song. It's not a strong track by any standards and I wasn't too keen on the change in arrangement.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Tiger » Sat May 12, 2012 4:46 am

#97.

Whatchulookinat.

Hmmm looking forward for the higher
These foolish games are tearing me apart

My CHART
Tiger
Lover Of (Mostly) Everything Pop

Postby NothingFails » Sat May 12, 2012 5:33 am

Thinking About You is a fun 80's jam, especially the part where she attempts rapping.
NothingFails
Legend

Postby GoodBoyGoneBad » Sat May 12, 2012 5:33 am

No big losses so far.

Whatchulookinat wasn't a good choice... definitely!
GoodBoyGoneBad
Louise Oriole

Postby PosziMC2 » Sat May 12, 2012 7:29 am

Whatchulookinat is one of my favs. So underrated. Thinking About You is also great.
P=MC2's Top 20
Merci wrote:Poszilicious, pussy served delicious!
PosziMC2
Legend

Postby BeeFan » Sat May 12, 2012 12:39 pm

I don't know her Christmas album and I'm no fan of Whatchulookinat for sure so I'm fine with the low positions :wink:
BeeFan
Manager

Postby Tripolis » Sat May 12, 2012 1:01 pm

I haven't listened to her Christmas album so I can't really judge your rankings of her covers.

Whatchulookinat' is a decent song, but it was definitely not lead single material. The whole album was a mess though, not much single-ready tracks. 5.5/10

Thinking About You.. I have to give this a listen again.
Tripolis
Manager

Postby JSparksFan » Sun May 13, 2012 1:52 am

Thanks for the comments, everyone! :D

Tiger wrote:#97.

Whatchulookinat.

Hmmm looking forward for the higher
Yeah, this batch was really underwhelming.

NothingFails wrote:Thinking About You is a fun 80's jam, especially the part where she attempts rapping.
Attempts and fails, in my opinion. But it's not unlistenable. :)

GoodBoyGoneBad wrote:No big losses so far.

Whatchulookinat wasn't a good choice... definitely!
Yes, it was Whitney's "Loverboy".

PosziMC2 wrote:Whatchulookinat is one of my favs. So underrated. Thinking About You is also great.
Speak of the devil! :lol: I'm not at all surprised that you like "Whatchalookinat". :)

BeeFan wrote:I don't know her Christmas album and I'm no fan of Whatchulookinat for sure so I'm fine with the low positions :wink:
I'm glad that there haven't been any major upsets as yet. :)

Tripolis wrote:I haven't listened to her Christmas album so I can't really judge your rankings of her covers.

Whatchulookinat' is a decent song, but it was definitely not lead single material. The whole album was a mess though, not much single-ready tracks. 5.5/10

Thinking About You.. I have to give this a listen again.
Very true! 8-)
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby NothingFails » Sun May 13, 2012 2:05 am

JSparksFan wrote:
NothingFails wrote:Thinking About You is a fun 80's jam, especially the part where she attempts rapping.
cut her some slack, it was 1985. Debbie Harry on "Rapture" was about her only competition as a female MC :lol: :lol:
NothingFails
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Sun May 13, 2012 2:17 am

NothingFails wrote:
JSparksFan wrote:
cut her some slack, it was 1985. Debbie Harry on "Rapture" was about her only competition as a female MC :lol: :lol:
Ah, that's true! If anything, I should award her bonus points for stepping out of the box and switching things up a bit. :)
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Sun May 13, 2012 2:43 am

#95.

Someone For Me.

While this album cut from Houston's self-titled debut record isn't horrendous, it isn't good either. The song has a mid-tempo beat but it doesn't really go anywhere so it comes off a bit bland and borders on being monotonous.

#94.

Takin' A Chance.

My least fave album track from I'm Your Baby Tonight, "Takin' A Chance" is a midtempo jam with very relatable lyrics. Overall, the track is pretty underwhelming as it lacks those beloved signature Whitney belts I love so and the production on the song is a bit sub-par.

#93.

Miracle.

A second I'm Your Baby Tonight track bites the dust. Released as a single in 1991, "Miracle" became yet another Top 10 hit for Houston. Though originally assumed to be about abortion, Whitney contested that "Miracle" is also about, "the air we breathe, the earth we live on" as well as about our children and all of the things we often take for granted. Any rate, the song is still a pretty underwhelming track and I'm Your Baby Tonight offered stronger candidates for a single release.

#92.

Hold Me.

Whitney's duet with Teddy Pendergrass, "Hold Me" is an alright song. The main drawback is that the song is too long. Had it been cut at the four minute mark, I would probably like it more instead of anticipating it's end.

#91.

Nobody Loves Me Like You Do.

A cover of Anne Murray's #1 Country hit, Whitney and Jermaine did a pretty average attempt of the song. I really like the lyrics but they've both done a lot better, in my opinion.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby NothingFails » Sun May 13, 2012 2:48 am

Someone For Me is such 80s cheese, I love it for that.

Miracle is a pretty track and got a lot of airplay at the time, but as a whole it just wasn't one of her better ballads and probably why it hasn't endured.

Never been fussed on either the Teddy or Jermaine duets, usually skipped past them.
NothingFails
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Sun May 13, 2012 5:24 pm

Best Buy is selling most of Whitney's albums for crazy cheap right now ($5.99 for Whitney Houston and Whitney, $4.99 for I'm Your Baby Tonight, My Love Is Your Love, and Just Whitney...), so I picked up the latter three yesterday. I think they must've known you were doing this countdown... ;)

"Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas" = eh...not a fan of the R&B/slow jam twist she put on this (the background/beat sounds really out-of-place). she sounds good, but I much prefer Judy Garland's version.

"I'll Be Home For Christmas" = definitely a better Xmas cover than the last one. I think the best version I've heard of this is Michael Bublé's, but Whitney certainly does it justice too.

"Thinking About You" = this started out promising, I thought it would turn into a fun uptempo like "How Will I Know", but the chorus is really underwhelming. pity!

"Whatchulookinat" = hmm...this actually isn't too bad, it's kinda catchy, got some good attitude. and how can you not love Whitney using the third person: "same spotlight that once gave me fame, trying to dirty up Whitney's name..." :lol: seriously though, this isn't terrible.

"Little Drummer Boy" = aw, this is just...really sad now... :cry: (I was seriously tearing up...until it turned into a hot mess around the 2:15 mark).

"Someone For Me" = wow, clearly Whitney's team picked the right singles from her debut, because the leftover album tracks are pretty terrible :lol: the team behind "How Will I Know" should've handled all her up-tempo's.

"Takin A Chance" = hmmm...this is actually pretty good! it's a pity they left it off the US version of IYBT, it's definitely better than some of the tracks that made the cut (though I guess it does sound a bit more like her earlier stuff than most of the IYBT material, maybe that's why it got left off). I'll have to hunt this down online now...

"Miracle" = so...according to Wikipedia, Whitney denied that this is about abortion in an interview...but then again, she didn't actually write any of it herself, and the lyrics seem pretty damn clear to me. preachiness of the song aside (well, the whole "abortions are a selfish choice and you should feel guilty now because you killed a miracle" message), the chorus is actually pretty catchy...I wish I didn't like it as much as I do. :lol:

"Hold Me" = this kind of lost me right after the first line: "I'll hold you, and touch you, and make you my woman..." :lol: idk, something about the way he says "make you my woman"...or maybe just the idea of anyone making someone "their woman". idk. and then chorus is just dullsville. this is like a bad "Endless Love" knockoff.

"Nobody Loves Me Like You Do" = not...terrible...but still pretty dull. the singles on her debut really >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> the album tracks!
phoenix98
Legend

Return to Personal Charts