K25: Top 25 Kylie Minogue singles by ThomyX [#1 revealed!]

Moderators: JSparksFan, tdc2000, FreakyFlyBry

Postby ThomyX » Wed May 30, 2012 6:33 pm

Last edited by ThomyX on Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:29 pm, edited 27 times in total.
ThomyX
Superstar

Postby JSparksFan » Wed May 30, 2012 6:35 pm

Ooh, I'm excited for this! "Your Disco Needs You" for the win! :D
And the category is: LIVE. WORK. POSE!
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Wed May 30, 2012 11:25 pm

it's certainly a sign of a true mega-fan to do two countdowns for the same artist less than a year apart. ;) 8-)

since your last Kylie countdown wasn't too long ago, I imagine we'll see a lot of the same singles that made your Top 40 list. or will we...?

either way, you can count on me to follow this <3 can't wait!
phoenix98
Legend

Postby jpguy » Thu May 31, 2012 2:43 am

8-) 8-) 8-)
::: Christina Aguilera - Liberation IS COMING 6.15.18 :::
jpguy
Legend

Postby ThomyX » Thu May 31, 2012 10:15 am

Thanks for your replies, guys!
phoenix98 wrote:it's certainly a sign of a true mega-fan to do two countdowns for the same artist less than a year apart. ;) 8-)

since your last Kylie countdown wasn't too long ago, I imagine we'll see a lot of the same singles that made your Top 40 list. or will we...?

either way, you can count on me to follow this <3 can't wait!
LOL yeah I'm such a stan! :lol: In fact, I wanted to do this countdown because I noticed how much my opinions changed in such a short time and now can't believe how underappreciated some singles were in my eyes. Plus, it's the year of K25 and a Best Of album is released next week, it's perfect timing! :lol:
ThomyX
Superstar

Postby Thriller » Thu May 31, 2012 1:33 pm

Totally doing one of these myself when you finish this :lol:
Thriller

Postby GoodBoyGoneBad » Thu May 31, 2012 6:30 pm

I will follow this!
GoodBoyGoneBad
Louise Oriole

Postby ThomyX » Thu May 31, 2012 6:39 pm

Are you ready, Lovers? 8-) Before we start, let me tell you that it was extremely difficult to compile my list, it was like having to give up on my children! (lol obsessed much? :lol:) Seriously, I can't wait to cause a stir because as my Top 40 also showed last year, my choices are quite...ahem...unique. :lol:

I'll post peak positions and also fun facts about the songs/videos listed.

Did you know? To this date, Kylie has had an impressive number of 52 singles that were lifted off of her own albums, 7 singles where she was a featured artist and 4 promotional singles! That means 63 singles from which I had to choose my Top 25. Starting in a bit! :D
ThomyX
Superstar

Postby ThomyX » Thu May 31, 2012 7:51 pm

Let the countdown begin! :D

:: IT'S NO SECRET ::
UK Peak: - | US Peak: 37
'It's No Secret' is a ballad from Kylie's debut album and was released as the album's 5th single in selected countries. This bittersweet and innocent pop song was one of my instant faves on 'Kylie', shame it isn't more well-known. There's more to come from her debut! Did you know? 'It's No Secret' marks Kylie's 3rd Top 40 hit on the Billboard Hot 100.
>> LISTEN <<

:: GIVE ME JUST A LITTLE MORE TIME ::
UK Peak: 2 | AUS Peak: 24
'Give Me Just A Little More Time' is the 3rd single from one of Kylie's most underappreciated albums, 'Let's Get To It'. The song is actually a cover of Chairmen of the Board's song of the same name. One of my faves on 'Let's Get To It', from where there's also more to come later. Did you know? GMJALMT was one of Kylie's least favourite songs from her own back catalogue for some time because she was too embarrassed to sing the 'Brrrrr!' parts!
>> LISTEN <<

:: PLEASE STAY ::
UK Peak: 10 | AUS Peak: 15
'Please Stay', the 4th single from 'Light Years', leaves early. It was (and still is) one of my favourite Kylie singles, but my love for it depends on my mood, the lack of variety in the lyrics and music put me off at times, but sometimes it's the simplicity I like it for. Because of this ambivalence, I decided to place it outside the Top 20 (but don't forget that it still made the 25!). Did you know? 'Please Stay' was Kylie's 20th Top 10 hit in the UK!
>> LISTEN <<
ThomyX
Superstar

Postby JSparksFan » Thu May 31, 2012 8:05 pm

It's No Secret: 7/10 - Like most of Kylie's 80's stuff, this one is quite good. I like it. :)

Give Me Just A Little More Time: 8.5/10 - Whoa! On first listen, this is pretty darn fantastic! Maybe it's just me, but I hear a bit of R&B in this for some reason.

Please Stay: 6.5/10 - I know Paul loves this as it was #1 on his Kylie countdown but I've never been overly fond of this track. It's a tad boring, but still decent.

Great first batch! :D
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Thriller » Thu May 31, 2012 10:18 pm

"It's No Secret" is one I never really listen to, it's nice but it's a bit bland and forgettable, lost amongst her other 80s stuff.

"Give Me Just A Little More Time" is one of her worst singles IMO, it's just uninspired cheese and covers are beneath her!

"Please Stay" is a simple little pop ditty with a Latin flavour, it served well as a single to keep the album afloat over Christmas and she did some nice performances of it.
Thriller

Postby BadGirl » Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:19 am

Give Me Just A Little More Time is the best of this first bunch. Please Stay is a bit overrated IMO, it's too boring and repetitive.
BadGirl
Manager

Postby Tiger » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:20 am

:: PLEASE STAY ::
:: GIVE ME JUST A LITTLE MORE TIME ::

Two good songs
These foolish games are tearing me apart

My CHART
Tiger
Lover Of (Mostly) Everything Pop

Postby phoenix98 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:11 pm

"It's No Secret" = I certainly don't mind this one, but it just doesn't feel quite right that out of her entire amazing discography, THIS somehow managed to become one of her select few US Top 40 hits :lol: weren't "Got To Be Certain" and "Je Ne Sais Pas Pourquoi" released here too, along with some of the Enjoy Yourself singles? and then, looking at her brief resurgence in 2002-2003, somehow "Come Into My World" could only manage No. 91? I guess I shouldn't complain, it just baffles me that something about this song caught on here, when much better singles failed to do so at all.

"Give Me Just A Little More Time" = cute cover, I do like this one, and I totally agree about Let's Get To It being under-rated! although it contains some of my least-favorite Kylie singles ("Finer Feelings", "Word Is Out"), the non-singles are actually quite consistent and solid. in fact, I think ALL the album's non-singles are better than those two singles I mentioned. any rate, I never knew she was embarrassed to perform this one! :lol:

"Please Stay" = *sigh* I obviously hoped for higher for this one, but I should be grateful it at least made the cut. both the album version and 7th District Radio Mix are just perfection for me! her little dance routine in the video is almost too cute to handle.
phoenix98
Legend

Postby ThomyX » Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:01 pm

Thanks for your replies, guys! I admit I thought you would rip me apart a bit more. :lol: I'm glad to see some love for GMJALMT! Anyway, I'm posting the new batch in a few minutes, be prepared for some shocking positions! :lol:
ThomyX
Superstar

Postby GoodBoyGoneBad » Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:10 pm

Please Stay is easily my favorite among these three tracks.
GoodBoyGoneBad
Louise Oriole

Postby ThomyX » Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:25 pm

Here's the second set! 8-)

:: SPINNING AROUND ::
UK Peak: 1 | AUS Peak: 1
Though 'Spinning Around' is good for what it had been made for (introducing a new image of Kylie), I don't feel the 'hook' in it that many other Kylie singles have. It's a nice, solid pop song that's easy and fun to listen to, but not her strongest lead single. Did you know? ‘Spinning Around’ gave Kylie the honour of being one of two artists (the other being Madonna) to have a number one in the eighties, nineties and noughties.
>> LISTEN <<

:: YOUR DISCO NEEDS YOU ::
UK Peak: 152 | AUS Peak: 20
Yikes! 'Your Disco Needs You', the ultimate fan favourite, is just missing out on the Top 20. I have to admit though, that it was originally one of my least favourite singles from Kylie, but after hearing all those raving about it from my fellow fans, I decided to give it another go and now I actually consider it as one of Kylie's great singles (so don't hurt me, #21 is a great achievement lol). It's a fun track, but it's a bit too campy for my taste. The ending with the high notes is amazing, nonetheless. Did you know? Some UK fans were protesting outside the record company for the single's full release!
>> LISTEN <<

:: PUT YOURSELF IN MY PLACE ::
UK Peak: 11 | AUS Peak: 11
And now we're entering the Top 20 with the wonderful 'Put Yourself In My Place', which I think is one of the best Kylie ballads (if not THE best). The gentle vocals and the heart-shattering lyrics get me everytime. Did you know? The music video has several cuts and Kylie's showing more/less skin in the different versions.
>> LISTEN <<
ThomyX
Superstar

Postby phoenix98 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:07 pm

"Spinning Around" = not even Top 20?? I'm pretty sure this was in my Top 5! it really is one of (if not THE) greatest comeback singles...ever. not only is it incredibly fun and catchy, but the song's message is perfectly fitting for her return to pop/dance glory. and isn't the video among her most iconic?

"Your Disco Needs You" = ah, twisting that knife you stuck in my heart with your "Please Stay" ranking even deeper now, are we? TOO campy? it's so perfectly, deliciously campy! empowering too. just fantastic, one of her all-time absolute finest moments.

"Put Yourself In My Place" = I can agree that this is one of Kylie's best ballad singles, but she hasn't exactly released many of those in her career. in fact, she hasn't released any since...this...has she (not counting "Where The Wild Roses Grow")? looking at her non-singles, I think she has a couple as strong (if not stronger) than this in "Dangerous Game" and her "If You Don't Love Me" cover. I think fans usually cringe at her "Tears On My Pillow" cover, but I actually like that one too.
phoenix98
Legend

Postby BadGirl » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:11 pm

Put Yourself In My Place is quite good, but the others two are really annoying. I'm sorry but i hate that type of Kylie's songs. :lol:
BadGirl
Manager

Postby ThomyX » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:33 pm

@phoenix98: Aww, I knew that I'd (sadly) disappoint you. :oops: I hope I still have something in the countdown we can both be happy about! :lol: I can see YDNY growing on me later, it has its moments but overall it hasn't impressed me as a whole yet. :) I know Akini is going to kill me for this, too! :lol: 'Spinning Around' was a childhood favourite of mine but as I was growing up and became familiar with some other material from Kylie, it paled for me in comparison with some of her other singles. You're right about PYIMP, she hasn't released too many ballads to date but she has quite a few on her albums. 'Dangerous Game' is another amazing one, it comes really close to PYIMP for me.

BadGirl wrote:Put Yourself In My Place is quite good, but the others two are really annoying. I'm sorry but i hate that type of Kylie's songs. :lol:
I'm glad to see you like 'Put Yourself In My Place'. I hope you'll like the rest of my countdown, I tend to prefer most of her more unusual singles to some of her most well-known ones with the classic Kylie sound. :)
ThomyX
Superstar

Postby BadGirl » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:36 pm

^ Can't wait to see the rest of your countdown, i also prefer her most unusual works. Hope to see something from Impossible Princess. 8-)
BadGirl
Manager

Postby JSparksFan » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:49 pm

Spinning Around: 7/10 - I totally agree with you that this song is pretty...hook-less but it's still a pretty average Pop track overall.

ThomyX wrote:I know Akini is going to kill me for this, too!
Your Disco Needs You: 10/10 - Just as I was typing this write-up, I reached the point at "Your Disco Needs You" where she says, kick your a** and that did give me a few ideas... :wink: Kidding aside, "Your Disco Needs You" is not only my all-time fave from Kylie, it's gone on to become one of my all-time fave singles ever. I know it's like the gayest song ever recorded but it's just so infectious and even as I'm typing this and listening to the song at the same time, I can't help but move my body. When Paul first introduced this song to me last summer, I was just so amazed by it's epicness and almost a year later, I'm still enthralled by it's superb production and Kylie's great vocals. The bridge where Kylie sings in French slays entire discographies. :cry:

Put Yourself In My Place: 7/10 - On first listen, this one was pretty great. Loved the chorus and the message. :)
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby GoodBoyGoneBad » Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:37 am

Your Disco Needs You and Put Yourself In My Place are both beyond amazing.
GoodBoyGoneBad
Louise Oriole

Postby ThomyX » Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:13 am

@JSparksFan: Haha, I knew that it was going to cause some disappointment but trust me, making a list of the best Kylie singles is like the most difficult thing ever - you don't want to let any of them go! :lol: I'm pretty sure that there are going to be some others that you'll like in the rest of the countdown, though. 8-) Talking about the French monologue in YDNY, did you know that there are actually four versions of the song and Kylie is saying the monologue in different languages in them? There are French (single/album version), German, Spanish and Japanese versions. They're fun, check them out on YouTube if you haven't heard them already! :D

@GoodBoyGoneBad: I'm glad you like them, there's more great tunes to come! :)

By the way, I'm now looking at my list and I think there's only 1 or 2 shocking entry left, so you won't need them meds. 8-) :lol: Updating this tonight!
ThomyX
Superstar

Postby Tiger » Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:13 am

:: PUT YOURSELF IN MY PLACE ::
:: YOUR DISCO NEEDS YOU ::

Those are very underrated.
These foolish games are tearing me apart

My CHART
Tiger
Lover Of (Mostly) Everything Pop

Return to Personal Charts