Matthew's Personal Chart of 2012 - Top 60 (Completed)

Moderators: tdc2000, JSparksFan, FreakyFlyBry

Postby matthew_dixon » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:31 pm

Hi all,

Over the course of the past decade, you have seen all sorts of personal year end charts from me. However, this year's chart is going to be quite unlike any others you've seen.

At first, I restricted my list simply to singles. Then when there were too many albums I bought that had fantastic non-singles on them, I started including album tracks. This year however is going to be different once again.

This is, as it says, my "Personal" chart of 2012. Therefore, the songs contained in it do not need to have charted in 2012. They don't need to even have been released in 2012. Indeed, there's going to be some songs in here that seemingly have absolutely no connection to 2012 for anyone else reading this. However, these are the songs that have really shaped my own personal 2012!
Last edited by matthew_dixon on Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:33 am, edited 6 times in total.
matthew_dixon
Site Editor

Postby Phoenixx » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:32 pm

Exciting! :-D
Phoenixx
Purpose

Postby Virgostar » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:46 pm

Indeed exciting! Sounds similar to what I'll be doing for my own year-end presentation.
Let's embrace the point of no return.
Virgostar
Ex-Admin

Postby matthew_dixon » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:35 am

60. Underworld - Caliban's Dream
Well I never thought I'd ever see the day! 90s dance act Underworld are best known for the overrated, overplayed noise that is "Born Slippy". They've had various other songs over the years, and in general they've always been contenders for my worst chart... but not this year. "Caliban's Dream" was written by Rick Smith - one half of Underworld - as part of the soundtrack to the opening ceremony of the 2012 Olympic Games. They got a number of good singers together to do choral parts, and produced a 7-minute ethereal epic. It also gave Underworld one of the highest charting hits of their career thanks to people downloading it after the ceremony!

59. Kurt Calleja - This Is The Night
It seems to have become standard fare for at least something from the Eurovision Song Contest to make it onto my list. This year, there's actually rather few of them - and noteably absent is the UK entry from Engelbert Humperdinck! This one however, from Kurt Calleja, continues the remarkable run of my generally really liking Maltese entries!

58. Nina Zilli - L'Amore È Femmina (Out Of Love)
I told you there were remarkably few of them, and this is actually the highest of the lot! Whilst I did rather understand that Kurt Calleja wasn't going to do that remarkably, quite what made people love last year's Italian entry and not feel the same about this glorious song I don't know! It really should have won if you ask me!

57. Military Wives and Gareth Malone - Wherever You Are
This year has been a great year of choral music for me. I joined a second choir, and we also saw a local choir (one of whom I knew in person) do really well on Britain's Got Talent - Only Boys Aloud. Also, in the autumn, I watched Gareth Malone's show on creating workplace choirs. Anyway, if there's one choir that Britain's most famous choirmaster is going to be most associated with these days, it would have to be the Military Wives. Okay, so some of the lyrics here are a bit saccharine, but musically, it's far above pretty much everything that gets into the charts these days! There's not many chart toppers on this list, so make the most of this!

56. Donna Summer - I Feel Love
Heaven's almighty band got much much bigger in 2012. From Etta James at the start of the year, through to Ravi Shankar in the past couple of days, the number of musical greats to have fallen in 2012 has been staggering. One such great was disco legend Donna Summer, and after her death, one song rocketed back into the charts, and deservedly so - "I Feel Love". I'm not the world's biggest Donna Summer fan, but even I accept that this is just phenomenal!

55. Keane - Silenced By The Night
Alas in 2012, the country seemed to have rather forgotten Keane - a band who had released some great material over the past decade. Anyway, "Silenced By The Night" was their lead single off their latest album, and it was actually a rather good song. Nothing that you wouldn't expect from Keane, but nonetheless, a good song.

54. Mumford and Sons - I Will Wait
And step forward the band who have filled their slot in the market. Yes, Mumford and Sons have been bemusingly huge with their second album, and this was the lead single from it - again a very pleasant little slice of indie music.

53. Coldplay and Rihanna - Princess Of China
Now this is a song that I couldn't ever really decide on. Initially I found it a huge letdown, as I was ranking it alongside far better Coldplay songs. However, when I took it on its own merits, it really does deserve a place in here. It's been one of the year's biggest hits - and probably ranks amongst the biggest hits of both Coldplay and Rihanna. Above all that, however strange it is to say it, I do think it works!

52. Lissie - Go Your Own Way
They don't make em like they used to. Songs, that is. Singers of course they do still make - with fantastic voices. Therefore you might see a few rather classic songs given rather interesting 2012 treatment. First up, it's this Fleetwood Mac classic, covered by a singer called Lissie. A very interesting take on this song, which would also re-enter in its original form thanks to someone performing it on The Voice.

51. Gary Barlow and the Commonwealth Band - Sing
Who would have thought the first act to appear twice in this list would be the Military Wives Choir? Yes, they feature on this one as well, Gary Barlow's fantastic Jubilee song. The young African girl at the start opening it makes such an incredibly sweet opening, but I do have to say my favourite star of the piece is Geoffrey Gurrumul Yunupingu. A blind Native Australian, who sings in various indigenous Australian languages, he's definitely one of the most unusual stars of the music world of 2012!
matthew_dixon
Site Editor

Postby Virgostar » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:46 am

Donna Summer = classic.

I didn't mind the Nina Zilli song either. Certainly better than the Albanian wannabe Bjork.
Virgostar
Ex-Admin

Postby MostFierce » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:47 am

I only know 3...2 of it i considered as amazing..which is I Will Wait & Princess of China...

Silenced By The Night is just good..
MostFierce
Manager

Postby matthew_dixon » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:59 am

Virgostar wrote:Donna Summer = classic.

I didn't mind the Nina Zilli song either. Certainly better than the Albanian wannabe Bjork.
No love for your countryman Gurrumul? :(
matthew_dixon
Site Editor

Postby NothingFails » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:07 am

I Feel Love is definitely one of the all time greats, influential and era-defying.

The Keane song was okay but they've had much better and this album/era was probably their worst IMO

Coldplay good, Mumford great
NothingFails
Legend

Postby king_oxymoron » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:08 am

I am not a fan, as you'll know from the sixpack, of highlighting songs not released within that timeframe so don't expect me to go mad for Donna Summer et al :lol:

But some good stuff here Matthew... not especially fussed for the charity-style Military Wives/Barlow stuff, but Keane is a nice little song (you describe it well), Underworld I did enjoy and was happy with the lead singer of Two Door Cinema Club's involvement, and Princess of China is a great cut from an exciting album.

My absolute favourite though is 'I Will Wait' - a total gem.
king_oxymoron
Lickin' On Both Sides

Postby Benny » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:50 am

Nice to see Keane and Mumford & Sons.
Benny
Legend

Postby toni_pest » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:02 pm

Princess of China is my favorite from the batch. :D
:)
toni_pest
Coming Soon

Postby summer » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:27 pm

Great presentation and lots of interesting tracks :D
summer
Superstar

Postby jafetsigfinns » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:01 pm

53. Coldplay and Rihanna - Princess Of China

Keane is great, Mumford is alright, Coldplay/Rihanna is fantastic! Will definitely feature in my personal Top 20! Rest I either don't know or don't like :-?
My Countdown Thread! Now: Britney Spears!
jafetsigfinns
Manager

Postby GoodBoyGoneBad » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:44 pm

Princess Of China is a very good collaboration, I Feel Love is timeless.
GoodBoyGoneBad
Louise Oriole

Postby Spartan » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:54 pm

Codlplay/Rihanna was a shockingly good collaboration, Keane's a great song too!
Spartan
Legend

Postby UKMusicLova » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:50 pm

'Princess Of China' is gorgeous! Who would have thought that collaboration would have worked so well?!
UKMusicLova
Legend

Postby CrazyCrazy » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:00 pm

Lissie & Keane! :D
CrazyCrazy
Legend

Postby Marius » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:55 pm

The only one I like so far is Donna Summer. Haven't heard most of the others.
Let's have a second referendum
Marius
Legend

Postby Virgostar » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:03 pm

matthew_dixon wrote:
Virgostar wrote:Donna Summer = classic.

No love for your countryman Gurrumul? :(
Totally missed that bit about the Sing song. I have heard Gurrumul sing at least once before, at the ARIA's last year, with Missy Higgins. Was absolutely stunning, so there is some love there Matthew...I just didn't read properly. :oops:
Virgostar
Ex-Admin

Postby matthew_dixon » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:37 am

50. Sniffy Dog featuring Adrienne Stiefel - Little Boxes
It was 1962 when Malvina Reynolds wrote "Little Boxes", a political satire that was initially a hit for Pete Seeger. Amongst the other acts to record it are Regina Spektor - which I REALLY must check out! However, the entry in here is for an act called Sniffy Dog. This is another of those great covers that was used on an advert.

49. Lana Del Rey - Blue Jeans
As the year started, the one album I was really looking forward to was the debut of Lana Del Rey. Therefore, it's actually one of my biggest letdowns of the year. Don't get me wrong, it's great, but for me - "Video Games" is by far her best song. This was the third single proper from the album (I lost track of how many unofficially released "singles" there seemed to be and when they were) and it's a great smokey track, but yeah, not really up there with "Video Games" for me.

48. Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds - Everybody's On The Run
After the breakup of Oasis, it was very clear to me last year which was the better Gallagher solo project. Noel gets yet more success on my year end chart in 2012, with this pleasant little indie song "Everybody's On The Run". It's far from his best, but his best is so fantastic that even on an average day, Noel Gallagher produces fantastic songs!

47. Paloma Faith - Just Be
Next up, it's an act that really pleasantly surprised me this year. I liked what I heard of Paloma Faith's earlier stuff, but she seemed to develop a new level of class in 2012 with songs like this fantastic song. It's very similar in style to the sort of thing we got from Lana Del Rey - clearly a style that became popular this year.

46. Rizzle Kicks - Mama Do The Hump
Allow me to introduce a friend of mine. Indeed, not just a friend, but for two months of this year, a housemate. Yes, for October and November 2012, I was sharing my front room with my dear friend Cyril an incredibly friendly life-sized puppet camel!

He's made it to be my facebook title bar picture. Without a doubt one of the biggest things for me this year, as in the past two years, has been the central Cardiff production of "Christmas: The Story", a 20 minute play that goes on every 40 minutes through the day for about 20 days or so - around about 200 performances in all! Cyril really is one of the stars of things outside, bringing in the crowds from the high street!

Anyway, why am I mentioning him at this point? Well, because quite clearly this is his favourite song of the past 12 or so months... he is a camel after all! ;-)

45. Adele - Skyfall
Well this was always going to be epic, wasn't it. The sheer concept of Adele singing a Bond theme sounded very interesting, and when the song came out - whilst Adele's done better songs last year, this song was just as epic a Bond theme as you might have wished. As it was released on a Friday, to coincide with a big anniversary, it managed to keep up the bemusing statistic however... that no Bond theme has ever got to No. 1 in the UK!

44. Stoo'She - Black Heart
I hate to say it, but I really have a soft spot for the music of Stoo'She. Okay, they're not exactly the most critically acclaimed act of the year, but they just produced some fantastic pop songs - and this was definitely the highlight from them. The three of them actually have really great voices as well!

43. Emeli Sande - Next To Me
Now it might surprise people to know (it did genuinely surprise me) that the act with the most entries in this top 60 is actually newcomer Emeli Sande. I was given a copy of the album in the summer, and I have to admit, she's got a great voice, and some great songs. So - just which other songs are still to come, and how high are they?

42. Adele - I Can't Make You Love Me
Originally by Bonnie Raitt, and brought to fame in the UK by George Michael amongst others, this is another really predictable song for Adele to cover. She does it flawlessly, producing a fantastic vocal performance!

41. Lou Monte - Dominick The Donkey
In our first year of Christmas: The Story, we introduced Cyril the Camel. However, by last year, he was joined by two very much more alive friends - Dermot and Taylor. They didn't come back this year, instead being replaced by Frankie and her new foal.

Therefore, not only does this section contain a hump, but it also contains a Christmas Donkey. I did love this song last Christmas, largely because donkeys were suddenly such a big part of my Christmas, and it's endured on to this year with the new pair joining us!
matthew_dixon
Site Editor

Postby JSparksFan » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:45 am

"I Will Wait" is fantastic! I love the Country influence on the track and it's probably the only song from Mumford & Sons that I genuinely love! "Princess of China" is a collaboration, that on paper looked like it might've sounded like a hot mess, but it worked really well. The emotion with which Rihanna croons You really hurt me is so powerful too! It's my favourite part of the song.

"Blue Jeans" is pretty terrific too, one of Lana's best songs actually. My favourite line is You fit me better than my favourite sweater. I love the use of metaphor there and I find it odd, though brilliant in a way, to rhyme "better" with "sweater". "Skyfall" is a really good song though, as you mentioned, Adele's had better, much better in fact. "Black Heart" is okay though it grew off of me a bit towards the end of the year and "Next To Me" is a great track from a superbly talented artist. I love the message of the song. "Make You Feel My Love" was a brilliant cover.
Akini's Top 25 Artists of 2018: [#1 Revealed!]

The broken world waits in darkness for the light that is you.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby steophonic » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:13 am

'I Will Wait' is brilliant and I have totally changed my opinion on Mumford & Sons, I love them now!

Coldplay & Rihanna is great too, and Keane. As you say, it's a shame Keane have been forgotten about as their latest album is a return to form for me.

'Skyfall' is amazing and one of my favourite Adele songs, and favourite bond themes.
steophonic
Music Junkie

Postby Terence » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:33 am

It feels weird to see a local star in someone else's chart... however I wasn't too fussed on our entry, even more surprised when we qualified. Nina Zilli was great, and at the end, underrated!

Coldplay, Lana Del Rey, Emeli Sande & StooShe - all great. Mumford & Sons is the first song of theirs I liked.

Donna Summer?! As great as the song is, it looks out of place!
:o
Terence
Euro-trash Freak

Postby Tiger » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:24 pm

42. Adele - I Can't Make You Love Me
43. Emeli Sande - Next To Me
44. Stoo'She - Black Heart
49. Lana Del Rey - Blue Jeans
52. Lissie - Go Your Own Way
56. Donna Summer - I Feel Love
58. Nina Zilli - L'Amore È Femmina (Out Of Love)
59. Kurt Calleja - This Is The Night

Hmmm I like Nina Zilli best :P NEver got Emeli Sande
These foolish games are tearing me apart

My CHART
Tiger
Lover Of (Mostly) Everything Pop

Postby king_oxymoron » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:53 am

Matthew... your stories :lol: Putting in Rizzle Kicks for the sake of a camel :lol: That's probably one of the best song in your set too!

Though I don't see how you can criticise the music taste of others with Dominick the Donkey verging on your top 40 of the year...

Adele (I Can't Make), Emeli and Stooshe are the best here for me. I do like the Adele bond theme too but she's had miles better as you say.
king_oxymoron
Lickin' On Both Sides

Return to Year End Personal Charts