My Tribute To Kelly Clarkson: [#1 Revealed!]

Moderators: trebor, tdc2000, JSparksFan, FreakyFlyBry

Which track will be crowned my favourite Kelly Clarkson song?

A Moment Like This
8%
Since U Been Gone
15%
Behind These Hazel Eyes
8%
Because of You
54%
My Life Would Suck Without You
15%

Total votes : 13

Postby JSparksFan » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:29 pm

The very first victor of the now juggernaut American Idol, Kelly Clarkson grew to become one of the biggest Pop stars of the past decade and is unquestionably the most successful act to have ever been launched from a reality show. In fact, a lot of American Idol's success should be credited to the fact that Clarkson, their inaugural champion, proved to be such a strong force in the industry.

Some twenty million plus albums sold later, Kelly's versatile range (which covers Country and Rock just as seamlessly as it does Pop) continues to captivate audiences and her unbridled honesty and charming personality only contributes to her broad appeal. Her empowerment anthems have ruled radio and she has ultimately become an icon of her generation.

It didn't take long for her to become a favourite of mine and now she ranks among my very top tier of female artists. It is my pleasure to count down my favourite KC tracks and I sincerely hope you guys join me for the ride! Hold on tight though. There will be some bumpy rankings. You've been warned. :wink:

Last edited by JSparksFan on Sun May 05, 2013 5:32 am, edited 17 times in total.
Akini's Top 25 Artists of 2018: [#1 Revealed!]

The broken world waits in darkness for the light that is you.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby GetBack » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:05 am

I voted for "My Life Would Suck Without You". I can't wait for this! :D :D
GetBack
Legend

Postby Haribo » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:12 am

I didn't expect this to be honest! :lol:
Haribo
Legend

Postby toni_pest » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:13 am

Because of You ftw!
:)
toni_pest
Coming Soon

Postby Tiger » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:12 pm

Since U Been Gone
These foolish games are tearing me apart

My CHART
Tiger
Lover Of (Mostly) Everything Pop

Postby JSparksFan » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:03 pm

Thanks for the comments, everyone! The first batch will be posted within the hour. 8-)

GetBack wrote:I voted for "My Life Would Suck Without You". I can't wait for this! :D :D
Wise choice! Let's see if you're right though. :wink:

Haribo wrote:I didn't expect this to be honest! :lol:
Didn't I mention I was working on a KC countdown in my Daily Top 20 thread though? :lol:

toni_pest wrote:Because of You ftw!
Ah, that's one of her best ballads for sure. Is it my favourite from her though? :wink:

Tiger wrote:Since U Been Gone
After all these years, that's probably her signature tune but is it her best? :wink:

JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:54 pm

I think this first batch pretty much tells you guys what my least favourite KC record is. :lol:

#80. Chivas

Gaining the dishonour of being my very least favourite KC song is "Chivas", a hidden track on Kelly's third LP, My December. It's actually not an unlistenable song, it's just that the melody is a bit too simple and depressing for my ears to appreciate. It did at least teach me what a Chivas is though! Apparently, it's a blended Scotch whisky. According to the ever-reliable Wikipedia, its sales have soared 61% between 2002 and 2008 and as My December was released in that period, it's safe to infer that Kelly contributed to that rise in sales. KC and her impact. 5/10
#79. One Minute

Fittingly following my least favourite Kelly album track is my least favourite Kelly single, "One Minute". Originally intended to serve as the lead-off single to My December, KC and her team must've had some brainwave of Einstein proportions and opted against it. The song is a bit messy to the ears and it's got such a depressing melody. It's not horrific but it falls flat in comparison to every other single Clarkson's ever released. 5/10
#78. Yeah

At this point, even Paris Hilton would be able to recognize that My December is my least favourite Kelly album. Like most of the tracks on the album, I find the production be a bit shoddy and though Kelly's vocals are in fine form as always, it's just so depressing that I always end up feeling blue after listening to it. The verses are actually the strong point on this tune as the chorus is a genuine letdown. 5.5/10
#77. Not Today

Though an uptempo cut, I must criticize the chorus for this song as well as it's very underwhelming after a rather promising first verse. Also, as is the trend with most of the songs on My December, I find the production on some of the songs to be sub-par in comparison to her other records. I guess I'm just not here for emo Kelly. 5.5/10
#76. Dirty Little Secret

I remember when listening to this song, I couldn't help but compare it, and unfavourable so, to the All-American Rejects hit of the same title. The chorus for this song is actually nice but the problem with the track is that it's altogether too forgettable. It's a task after hearing it to remember what it sounds like. 5.5/10

JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Haribo » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:00 pm

You did? :o Maybe, I don't remember then!

I don't know any of these songs! :P Your Tribute will help me know a bit more about Kelly's discography! :D
Haribo
Legend

Postby PosziMC2 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:09 pm

I can feel My December is some kinda Glitter tea. :lol: :lol:
P=MC2's Top 20
Merci wrote:Poszilicious, pussy served delicious!
PosziMC2
Legend

Postby stevyy » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:52 pm

Haribo wrote:
I don't know any of these songs!
same with me and the odd thing is, i own a physical copy of that album.. :o
stevyy
Legend

Postby toni_pest » Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:17 am

stevyy wrote:
Haribo wrote:
:lol: :lol:

I don't know a single song so far.
:)
toni_pest
Coming Soon

Postby Tiger » Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:04 am

#79. One Minute
#76. Dirty Little Secret

Not a big fan of My December are we? :P
These foolish games are tearing me apart

My CHART
Tiger
Lover Of (Mostly) Everything Pop

Postby JSparksFan » Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:33 pm

Thanks for the comments, everyone! :D

Haribo wrote:You did? :o Maybe, I don't remember then!

I don't know any of these songs! :P Your Tribute will help me know a bit more about Kelly's discography! :D
I'm hesitant to recommend any of the songs from this batch to you as they are, in my opinion, her weakest tracks. Stay tuned for her masterpieces though! :wink:

PosziMC2 wrote:I can feel My December is some kinda Glitter tea. :lol: :lol:
Yes, you might love it! :lol:

stevyy wrote:
Haribo wrote:
Well, "Dirty Little Secret" and "Not Today" are both iTunes bonus tracks and "Chivas" is a hidden track but you should be familiar with the other two. "One Minute" was even a single and "Yeah" is on the standard edition.

toni_pest wrote:
stevyy wrote:
Haribo wrote:
:lol: :lol:

I don't know a single song so far.
Well, these are her worst so you're not missing much. :lol:

Tiger wrote:#79. One Minute
#76. Dirty Little Secret

Not a big fan of My December are we? :P
Nope, not at all! There are a handful of great songs on that album though but too many are underwhelming.

JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Spartan » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:02 pm

She has 80 songs!?! :o I voted Because Of You because of you charting it quite a bit if I recall. 8-)
Spartan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:55 pm

Spartan wrote:She has 80 songs!?! :o I voted Because Of You because of you charting it quite a bit if I recall. 8-)
Wise pick! :wink: And yeah, she has thirty-five songs between All I Ever Wanted and Stronger alone! It's all those deluxe edition tracks that inflate her total.

JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:32 pm

#75. Can I Have a Kiss

The lyrics for this one are quite nice but the chorus is underwhelming and the production a bit sub-par. Like I said before, this is a recurring issue I have with the tracks on My December. 5.5/10
#74. Fading

If you're not a Japanese resident, you may not know this song as it was only included in the Japanese package of My December. I like the melody of the song and Kelly's vocals are nice but the entire song just screams average to my ears. 6/10
#73. Be Still

Kelly has a knack for delivering ballads and delivering them well but this one is just alright for me. Her voice sounds beautiful on the track though a bit more restrained than I would've liked. 6/10
#72. Irvine

A track that Kelly wrote at the lowest point in her life, the story goes that "Irvine" was penned in the bathroom of one of her concert venues. Kelly said that night's Meet & Greet was the very first she ever cancelled because she just couldn't bear the falsity of smiling when she felt anything but happy. Though it's not among my favourites, hence the less than impressive ranking, there's a dark beauty to this song. The melody is so haunting and Kelly's vocals are so emotive. This is the first track on the countdown that I genuinely like. 7/10
#71. Thankful

Okay, so we're going to take a pause from massacring the tracks on My December as we bid farewell to the title track of Kelly's debut album. Her vocals are terrific on the song, they really soar during the chorus, and I appreciate its light-hearted sound, a stark contrast to almost all of the tracks that fell before it. The song's only hitch is that it's not at all memorable. 7/10

JSparksFan
Legend

Postby PosziMC2 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:34 pm

Yes this is definitely her Glitter, Akini-wise
P=MC2's Top 20
Merci wrote:Poszilicious, pussy served delicious!
PosziMC2
Legend

Postby Cless » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:06 pm

DEAD at all these My December tracks crashing out. :lol: :(
Cless
Superstar

Postby JSparksFan » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:29 am

Thanks for the feedback, you two! :D

PosziMC2 wrote:Yes this is definitely her Glitter, Akini-wise
Yep. :lol:

Cless wrote:DEAD at all these My December tracks crashing out. :lol: :(
Aw, are you a fan of the album? :(

JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:12 am

#70. Hole

One of the few My December songs that I actually like, "Hole" has a solid chorus but the verses bring down the overall quality of the track. Kelly delivers a good vocal performance on this track but there's nothing memorable about the track which hurts its ranking here greatly. 7/10
#69. Don't Waste Your Time

The fourth and final single from My December, "Don't Waste Your Time" was brought to life by what I felt to be a mediocre video. The song itself is pretty decent with the lyrics being a definite highlight but it doesn't rank high here because it fails to pack the wallop that her best songs do. 7/10
#68. The War Is Over

The first track to fall from Kelly's fourth studio release, Stronger, is "The War Is Over" is a plain, safe ballad. Yet again, I genuinely like the lyrics and Kelly's delivery makes the song sound sincere but the song lacks a climax, something to wow the listener. It's one of those classic cases where a song suffers for not bringing anything new or exciting to the table. 7/10
#67. Don't Rush

Kelly's no stranger to Country music, having dabbled in the genre before several times with Reba on a remake of "Because of You" and again with Jason Aldean on their remarkable duet "Don't You Wanna Stay", which ranks very high here! On "Don't Rush", she enlists Vince Gill, one of Country music's most revered male acts, as a duet partner. The song's perfect if you're into easy listening jams but it lacks the power and passion that made me fall in love with "Don't You Wanna Stay" so I always think of it as 'Kelly's lesser Country duet'. 7/10
#66. Tip of My Tongue

All I Ever Wanted was recently ranked as my #5 all-time favourite album so that speaks volumes about my love for the record, and even my least favourite track on the CD is still solid. "Tip of My Tongue" has a catchy chorus but there's nothing particularly outstanding about the track. It's too safe so it gets lost among Kelly's edgier recordings. 7/10

JSparksFan
Legend

Postby joel77m77 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:46 am

Not heard most songs so far. I have heard The War Is Over though and it's okay. I voted for Because Of You in the poll, but all the songs are exceptional. Can't wait for the Top 10, Kelly has some Classic songs so it's bound to be Amazing. :D
joel77m77
Superstar

Postby Haribo » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:59 am

I don't know any of these songs! They're low so probably not very worth. :wink: By the way, I thought of you when Kelly performed "(You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman" at the GRAMMYs last month!
Haribo
Legend

Postby Cless » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:05 pm

JSparksFan wrote:
I am! :( My December and Breakaway are my favorite KC albums, probably because I had so many memories attached to them especially the former. I'm hoping at least "Sober" and "Never Again" break into the top 20!
Cless
Superstar

Postby JSparksFan » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:10 pm

Thanks for the feedback, you three! 8-)

joel77m77 wrote:Not heard most songs so far. I have heard The War Is Over though and it's okay. I voted for Because Of You in the poll, but all the songs are exceptional. Can't wait for the Top 10, Kelly has some Classic songs so it's bound to be Amazing. :D
Yes, the Top 20 is going to be crazy good! 8-)

Haribo wrote:I don't know any of these songs! They're low so probably not very worth. :wink: By the way, I thought of you when Kelly performed "(You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman" at the GRAMMYs last month!
Aw, you did? How sweet! :oops: I thought of Aretha. :lol:

Cless wrote:
JSparksFan wrote:
I am! :( My December and Breakaway are my favorite KC albums, probably because I had so many memories attached to them especially the former. I'm hoping at least "Sober" and "Never Again" break into the top 20!
I love how you used the phrase "break into" like those two songs don't belong in the Top 20. :lol:

Sorry that I'm massacring so many of your fave KC songs. If it's any consolation, I can assure you that those two My December tracks did make the Top 20. :wink:

JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Ivica » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:15 pm

I can't at all those MD tracks being so low :(
Ivica
Legend

Return to Personal Charts