KYLIE | B-Sides & Unreleased: Top 30 [#1 REVEALED!]

Moderators: trebor, tdc2000, JSparksFan, FreakyFlyBry

Postby ThomyX » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:45 pm

Hello, UKMIX!
Yes, it's me, with a Kylie countdown again! :lol: It seems this is an annual event in my world. After my general Top 40, my videos Top 40 and singles Top 25 (during which one user suggested that I should do a Demo & B-Side countdown), and after seeing Poop123's Lana countdown (sorry! :lol:) I decided to do a Kountdown that doesn't feature well-known hits. I believe that if there's any artist whose B-Sides and unreleased songs discography is so good it's even superior to some artists' whole discographies, that is Miss Minogue!

I hope some of you will join me in this! If you'd like to know Kylie better, or you're simply interested in her unreleased back catalogue, or you're familiar with her lesser known stuff, you won't be disappointed! :D I hope you'll find many gems you can feast your ears on. The first bunch (5 songs that missed the Top 30) is coming up shortly!

The Entries:
#Not Charting
#30 - #27
#26 - #23
#22 - #19
#18 - #15
#14 - #11
#10 - #7
#6 - #4
Last edited by ThomyX on Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:42 pm, edited 21 times in total.
ThomyX
Superstar

Postby ThomyX » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:53 pm

Beware, the traffic in this thread might crash UKMIX servers! :lol: Okay, let's do this anyway. 8-)

MISSED THE TOP 30:

#NC: FALL FOR YOU
X ERA | DEMO / UNRELEASED | Cover: ThomyX
'Fall For You' is an unreleased song from the 'X' sessions, and leaked before the album was released. What I like about this song is that it's ballsy, has fresh production and features a pumping chorus. Almost made the countdown. [LISTEN]

#NC: MADE IN HEAVEN (BALLAD)
WHITE DIAMOND SOUNDTRACK | UNFINISHED | Cover: ThomyX
An snippet from the ballad version of Kylie's 1988 B-Side, 'Made In Heaven', was featured on Kylie's documentary, White Diamond. This version is believed to have never been finished, and that is the only reason it missed my Top 30, otherwise it would probably be amond my 20 favourites. One of the most touching songs by Kylie, and the choir is simply magical. [LISTEN]

#NC: TEARS
IMPOSSIBLE PRINCESS ERA | B-SIDE | Cover: Ellectrika
'Tears' is featured on several Kylie compilations but it was first used as a B-Side to the single 'Did It Again'. It's a quirky piece, quite similar to some songs from 'Impossible Princess' (like 'Drunk' or 'Limbo'). I think it's a good song, but it's the bridge that gets me the most. [LISTEN]

#NC: DO YOU DARE?
LET'S GET TO IT ERA | B-SIDE | Cover: ThomyX
'Do You Dare?' is a great, dancey, typical '90s song. A sample of the song was featured on Kylie's 'Showgirl' tour. One of the few B-Sides from Kylie's early years that I love. [LISTEN]

#NC: THAT'S WHY THEY WRITE LOVE SONGS
X ERA | UNRELEASED | Cover: ThomyX
'That's Why They Write Love Songs' is an unreleased song that has never leaked in a studio version. It was only performed live and only twice. It was first performed on the Paris show of the 'X2008' tour, and then once on Kylie's most recent 'Anti Tour'. I hope a studio version will see the light of day after a while, it's such a great song. The reason it missed my top 30 is because it's only available as a live version (and there are no official video recordings of it either). [LISTEN]
ThomyX
Superstar

Postby Poop123 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:00 am

I'd love to follow this but I'm not familiar with kylie music. Let alone her unreleased!lol

I'll try to find time to listen and give comments later.
Last edited by Poop123 on Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Poop123
Manager

Postby SummerPeur » Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:18 am

ThomyX wrote:#NC: THAT'S WHY THEY WRITE LOVE SONGS
Eeeeeee :D . I can't wait for the list! I've always loved 'That's why they write love songs', and i can't believe it didn't make the top 30!! It would defs be around the 19-25 mark if i got a say haha (even with just the live verison). You better have some good songs in their ThomyX :wink: :wink: :)
SummerPeur wrote:Time stops for the Kween everytime WBT is performed.
Goldmoney wrote:So does her microphone
SummerPeur
Kylie Overseer

Postby ThomyX » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:05 pm

Ah, thanks for your comments guys, I was starting to think I would have to delete the whole thing due to a total lack of interest! :lol:
Poop123 wrote:I'd love to follow this but I'm not familiar with kylie music. Let alone her unreleased!lol

I'll try to find time to listen and give comments later.
Don't worry, she's a very diverse artist, I'm sure you would find some songs you'd love! :D The point is to make people discover more tunes by her. I'd certainly appreciate if you checked in every now and then! :)

P.s.: I hope you don't mind that I started an unreleased countdown the same time as you did! :oops:

SummerPeur wrote:
ThomyX wrote:#NC: THAT'S WHY THEY WRITE LOVE SONGS
Eeeeeee :D . I can't wait for the list! I've always loved 'That's why they write love songs', and i can't believe it didn't make the top 30!! It would defs be around the 19-25 mark if i got a say haha (even with just the live verison). You better have some good songs in their ThomyX :wink: :wink: :)
Whoop, thanks for following the topic! :D Yes, TWTWLS is indeed amazing but I feel I can't really judge it properly until I heard it in crystal clear quality. It's such a good tune, anyway! So happy to have another big fan on here, I hope I won't disappoint! :P

The first entries are coming tonight!
ThomyX
Superstar

Postby ThomyX » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:34 pm

Here comes the first bunch of the toplist! :D

#30 - #27:

#30: MAGNETIC ELECTRIC
X ERA | BONUS TRACK | Cover: ThomyX
'Magnetic Electric' was used as a bonus track on the Australian edition of 'X' (and later on the Tour Edition of the album, too). It's a little bit 'heavier' than the most of Kylie's usual dance tunes, and has a sort of braver sound I often miss in Kylie's recent songs (though 'Timebomb' was certainly the sound I've been waiting for). Anyway, 'Magnetic Electric' is a great effort with killer verses and pre-chorus but the 'oh oh' parts and the chorus let it down for me a bit. [LISTEN]

#29: CITY GAMES
BODY LANGUAGE ERA | B-SIDE | Cover: ThomyX
'City Games' was a B-Side to the 'Chocolate' single and is one of the 'most urban' songs by Kylie. As a big fan of her 'Body Language' era, I can't help loving this. I love the whole thing but the chorus is simply ace! [LISTEN]

#28: THE REAL THING
SAMPLE PEOPLE SOUNDTRACK | COVER | Cover: Ellectrika
'The Real Thing' (originally by Russel Morris) was covered by Kylie for the 2000 movie 'Sample People' she's starring in. What I love the most about this song are Kylie's vocals and the way Kylie sings the 'Oo mama mow-mow' part! [LISTEN]

#27: RIPPIN' UP THE DISCO
X ERA | BONUS TRACK | Cover: Mr. Truculent
'Rippin' Up The Disco' is a CD-ROM bonus track on the 'X' album. It's quite similar to 'Magnetic Electric', it's an edgier/heavier dance-pop song which was sadly 'hidden' and thus isn't too well known. The pre-chorus is killer! [LISTEN]

I hope you like them, please feel free to share your thoughts about any of the songs! :P Next update is coming tomorrow!
ThomyX
Superstar

Postby SummerPeur » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:26 am

ThomyX wrote:
#29: CITY GAMES
'City Games' was a B-Side to the 'Chocolate' single and is one of the 'most urban' songs by Kylie. As a big fan of her 'Body Language' era, I can't help loving this. I love the whole thing but the chorus is simply ace!

#28: THE REAL THING
'The Real Thing' (originally by Russel Morris) was covered by Kylie for the 2000 movie 'Sample People' she's starring in. What I love the most about this song are Kylie's vocals and the way Kylie sings the 'Oo mama mow-mow' part!
Oh no :cry: !! City games is so low in your list, its to great of a b-side to be #29!! I think it's been one of her better b-sides that she's put out! As Kylie says 'This beat is so hypnotic' 8-) haha.

I actually never really enjoyed her song for Same People (The real thing). The beat is just so Un-Kylie in a bad way :-? its like she's trying to sing a theme song to a sport game. Even though her Vocals are quite amazing in it, i actually cringe when she sings the 'Ooo mama-mow-mow part' :(. Bad choice for #28.

Looking good so far! I'm enjoying it :) thanks for doing it!
SummerPeur
Kylie Overseer

Postby GetBack » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:34 am

I do not understand how "Magnetic Electric" was left out from X. It was really good, I love the heavier beats in it.

"Rippin' Up the Disco" is also amazing! It has the same feel as the Fever era. :D :D
GetBack
Legend

Postby ThomyX » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:58 pm

SummerPeur wrote:Oh no :cry: !! City games is so low in your list, its to great of a b-side to be #29!! I think it's been one of her better b-sides that she's put out! As Kylie says 'This beat is so hypnotic' 8-) haha.

I actually never really enjoyed her song for Same People (The real thing). The beat is just so Un-Kylie in a bad way :-? its like she's trying to sing a theme song to a sport game. Even though her Vocals are quite amazing in it, i actually cringe when she sings the 'Ooo mama-mow-mow part' :(. Bad choice for #28.

Looking good so far! I'm enjoying it :) thanks for doing it!
'City Games' is indeed good and definitely should have been included on BL! I really like it but quite simply I found 28 songs better! :P I see why 'The Real Thing' may not appeal to you, Kylie's movie songs are actually all 'un-Kylie' and unusual (like the most recent 'Whistle' for Jack & Diane, and 'Who Were We' for Holy Motors) but I love it when she does some more experimental songs. :) I'm very glad you like the list so far, thanks! :D

GetBack wrote:I do not understand how "Magnetic Electric" was left out from X. It was really good, I love the heavier beats in it.

"Rippin' Up the Disco" is also amazing! It has the same feel as the Fever era. :D :D
Even though I love 'X', its tracklist is clearly a huge mess indeed! There are so many unreleased songs from that era that would fit the album better than some tracks on the original tracklist! Now that you say it, 'Rippin' Up the Disco' does have a sort of Fever-feel to it! :D
ThomyX
Superstar

Postby ThomyX » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:40 pm

Here's the next update, we're getting closer to the top 20!

#26 - #23:

#26: I SHOULD BE SO LUCKY / DREAMS (FEVER2002 TOUR MASH-UP)
FEVER ERA | OFFICIAL MASH-UP | Cover: No Source
This mash-up was created for Kylie's ISBSL performance on her 2002 Fever Tour, and in my opinion, it's probably one of the best re-workings of a Kylie song ever! It's so different to the original song's sound, so futuristic and kinda dark... it gives me chills! [LISTEN]

#25: SILENCE
APHRODITE ERA | B-SIDE | Cover: jmsjean
'Silence' is a B-side to Kylie's 4th single from the Aprodite era, 'Put Your Hands Up (If You Feel Love)'. It's quite simply a usual, Kylie pop song but it's the lyrics, the 'Skin to skin, so close to me...', and the 'You took the words from my mouth' parts that make the song stand out for me. [LISTEN]

#24: SOUL ON FIRE
BODY LANGUAGE ERA | B-SIDE | Cover: ThomyX
'Soul On Fire' is a very laid-back but still 'very Kylie' type of mid-tempo song from the Body Language era. Kylie's vocals sound relaxed and sexy at the same time on this track plus it features some great lyrics. Great B-side! [LISTEN]

#23: TAKE ME WITH YOU
IMPOSSIBLE PRINCESS ERA | BONUS TRACK | Cover: KylieMusicJimbo
'Take Me With You' is a song from Kylie's underappreciated Impossible Princess era. It is featured on quite a few Kylie compilations, most notably on 'Hits +'. It was written by Kylie herself, and it turned out to be one of her darkest songs ever (and also her longest song ever as it's more than 9 minutes long!). The 'I don't want to be here...' part gives me shivers. [LISTEN]

I hope you enjoy them! :D Next update comes on Saturday!
ThomyX
Superstar

Postby SummerPeur » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:07 am

ThomyX wrote:
#25: SILENCE
'Silence' is a B-side to Kylie's 4th single from the Aprodite era, 'Put Your Hands Up (If You Feel Love)'. It's quite simply a usual, Kylie pop song but it's the lyrics, the 'Skin to skin, so close to me...', and the 'You took the words from my mouth' parts that make the song stand out for me.

#24: SOUL ON FIRE
'Soul On Fire' is a very laid-back but still 'very Kylie' type of mid-tempo song from the Body Language era. Kylie's vocals sound relaxed and sexy at the same time on this track plus it features some great lyrics. Great B-side!

#23: TAKE ME WITH YOU
'Take Me With You' is a song from Kylie's underappreciated Impossible Princess era. It is featured on quite a few Kylie compilations, most notably on 'Hits +'. It was written by Kylie herself, and it turned out to be one of her darkest songs ever (and also her longest song ever as it's more than 9 minutes long!). The 'I don't want to be here...' part gives me shivers.
Where to begin!! haha. Ahhhhh Silence.....One of the many amazing b-sides that was released during the 'Aphrodite Era' that almost outshone the main song itself! I am dearly hoping that one of the major B-sides in this era is very, very high up in this list! 8-)

Soul on Fire I dare say the part 'Directly to the hot hot line' gives me a small shiver each time! I must agree, amazing B-side among the Body Language Era! Perfect, sitting back on the porch relaxing to the sunset drinking song 8-).

Now Take me with you is (not going to lie) a bit hard for me to love. Like most (hardcore Kylie Fans hahahaha) I loved her Impossible Princess Era to pieces and i agree one of the most under-appreciated era ever in music that i have known (As Billboard said, its power was that matching Madonna's own 'Ray of Light'. However i do love the song and its very dark appeal but quirky romance in it, however it just lets me down personally as (Are you sure Kylie wrote it? I always thought she didnt?) Cause thats always been the sinker for me.

Keep it up! :D :wink:
SummerPeur
Kylie Overseer

Postby SummerPeur » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:12 am

ThomyX wrote:'I see why 'The Real Thing' may not appeal to you, Kylie's movie songs are actually all 'un-Kylie' and unusual (like the most recent 'Whistle' for Jack & Diane, and 'Who Were We' for Holy Motors) but I love it when she does some more experimental songs.
Oh How I Love Whistle<3<3<3
SummerPeur
Kylie Overseer

Postby ThomyX » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:14 pm

SummerPeur wrote:Where to begin!! haha. Ahhhhh Silence.....One of the many amazing b-sides that was released during the 'Aphrodite Era' that almost outshone the main song itself! I am dearly hoping that one of the major B-sides in this era is very, very high up in this list! 8-)
YES! I totally agree, PYHU has never really impressed me (although it's a good song imo)!

I've just checked the 'Hits +' booklet and 'Take Me With You' was indeed written by Kylie! :D Sometimes I also feel it would be a stronger track if it was a little bit shorter but overall it's a very relaxing piece, and amazes me when I'm in the right mood.

I'm surprised to see you love 'Whistle'! :D It took a while till it grew on me but now I love it!

Thank you for your remarks as always, I really appreciate it! :D
ThomyX
Superstar

Postby JSparksFan » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:34 pm

I'll definitely be following this! Let me check out the uncharted tracks first.

Fall For You: 8/10 - Love the production for this! It's a very catchy, instant track, very danceable too. :lol: This should've made it on X.

Made In Heaven: 4/10 - I'd probably have rated this higher if it were longer than a minute and a half. Her voice sounds gorgeous on this though.

Tears: 4/10 - I didn't really like the production for this one. It sounded so...strange.

Do You Dare?: 1/10 - I really dislike repetitive songs and though I did like the beat for this one, I couldn't bear to hear Can you feel it? one more time. :lol:

That's Why They Write Love Songs: 4/10 - I really do wish we'd get a leaked studio version for this. It sounds like the type of song that's difficult to appreciate as much as you normally would in live form.

*Bops to "Fall For You" again*
Akini's Top 25 Artists of 2018: [#1 Revealed!]

The broken world waits in darkness for the light that is you.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby ThomyX » Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:20 pm

Thank you so much, Akini! :D I always look forward to reading your reviews!
I knew you would like 'Fall For You'! :wink: I also agree with most of the points you made about the other songs (with the exception of 'Do You Dare?' lol), those were the main reasons why they missed the top for me.

I really hope (but I'm also quite certain) you'll find some songs later on you'll just love! :D The best is yet to come!
ThomyX
Superstar

Postby ThomyX » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:20 pm

We're now entering the Top 20! :wink:

#22 - #19:

#22: YOU ARE THERE
WHITE DIAMOND SOUNDTRACK | UNRELEASED | Cover: KylieMusic
'You Are There' was recorded for Kylie's documentary, 'White Diamond', and was also featured in the movie, however, other than that, it has never been released in any form. Personally, I think it's definitely one of the most beautiful ballads by Kylie, the lyrics and her vocal delivery is very touching. A magical piece of music, it definitely should've been released (at least on 'The Abbey Road Sessions' as a new song)! [LISTEN]

#21: TRIPPIN' ME UP
BODY LANGUAGE ERA | UNRELEASED | Cover: KylieMusicJimbo
'Trippin' Me Up' is a powerful and sadly unreleased song from the Body Language era. I can see why it wasn't included on the album as its sound is quite different, but still, TMU is such a strong track it's a crime they left it in the vaults! [LISTEN]

#20: WHITE DIAMOND
WHITE DIAMOND SOUNDTRACK | BONUS TRACK | Cover: Dano
The ballad version of 'White Diamond' (yes, an upbeat version also exists but that exists as a live recording only) was also recorded for the WD documentary and is written by Kylie herself and the Scissor Sisters. The song was eventually released as an iTunes pre-order bonus track for 'X'. Absolutely beautiful song! [LISTEN]

#19: HEARTSTRINGS
APHRODITE ERA | BONUS TRACK | Cover: No Source
'Heartstring' is a bonus track on the Japanese editions of Kylie's latest studio album, 'Aphrodite'. It sounds a little bit like a more romantic sister track to 'Can't Get You Out Of My Head', I love the production and the lyrics. It could've easily replaced some songs on the album's original tracklist, it's not only better than some of the standard songs but also fits the Aphrodite concept better imo. [LISTEN]

I hope you like them! :wink: I'm looking forward to your thoughts!
ThomyX
Superstar

Postby Tiger » Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:10 am

#20: WHITE DIAMOND

Good song that I Actually know :P
These foolish games are tearing me apart

My CHART
Tiger
Lover Of (Mostly) Everything Pop

Postby ThomyX » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:11 pm

Tiger wrote:#20: WHITE DIAMOND

Good song that I Actually know :P
I'm glad you like it! :D I noticed you like Kylie so I encourage you to try her unreleased stuff, some of them are better than her commercially released songs, actually! :wink:

Updating this in a few mins.
ThomyX
Superstar

Postby ThomyX » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:28 pm

We're getting closer and closer to the best 10!

#18 - #15:

#18: (EVERYTHING) I KNOW
ULTIMATE KYLIE ERA | UNRELEASED | Cover: Ellectrika
'(Everything) I Know' is a soulful midtempo song which was recorded for Kylie's 2004 greatest hits but was eventually scrapped. It is believed to have not been finished but even its demo form is lush! Great lyrics and wonderful vocals, the chorus is so haunting, I just love it. It was one of the first unreleased songs I heard by Kylie. [LISTEN]

#17: BOY
FEVER ERA | B-SIDE | Cover: MathGomz
'Boy' is probably the most well-known B-side by Kylie as it is included on her biggest selling single to date, 'Can't Get You Out Of My Head'. It's a great R&B-sounding song which is probably the reason why it was left off 'Fever' - it would've fitted 'Body Language' more. And what a great beat! It's so groovy and just makes me want to get up and dance. [LISTEN]

#16: TAPROBANE (EXTRAORDINARY DAY)
X ERA | UNRELEASED | Cover: Mick
'Taprobane (Extraordinary Day)' is a song Kylie wrote after her stay on Taprobane Island. It's a romantic track with fresh, electronic production, which is what makes this song particularly good for me. I would've loved to hear this on 'X'. [LISTEN]

#15: DO IT AGAIN
X ERA | B-SIDE | Cover: Jesee
Not to be confused with her single 'Did It Again'! 'Do It Again' is a B-side on her 2008 single, 'Wow'. It's simply pop perfection and everything a Kylie fan could wish for - great and exciting production, an undeniable rhythm, and a catchy melody with Kylie's vocals on top. This is one that will make your feet tap along! So good. [LISTEN]

Enjoy! :D
Last edited by ThomyX on Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ThomyX
Superstar

Postby JSparksFan » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:16 pm

ThomyX wrote:The best is yet to come!
I'm counting on it! Now slow down so I can catch up! :lol:

On to the next set..

Magnetic Electric: 8/10 - Yeah, this is the Kylie I like. Catchy, fun, so carefree. I enjoyed the edgier sound you mentioned. Nice cover, by the way! I see you did it all by yourself. Great job! :D

City Games: 7.5/10 - It's strange that you'd liken this to being Urban 'cause I don't really hear it. "Red-Blooded Woman" is the most Urban-sounding track from Kylie that I can remember hearing from her. Anyway, genre disagreement aside, this was another pleasant listen. Oh, and this is a bit random, but it actually reminds me of a song I heard once when watching Teen Titans.

The Real Thing: 8/10 - Oh my goodness. The Oo mama mow-mow part was amazing! I loved how it gradually rose in crescendo but I was hoping it'd have like an epic, shattering climax. Still a very catchy tune though and definitely a song I'd spin again.

Rippin' Up The Disco: 8/10 - Why are all these songs so good? Like you mentioned, it is very similar to "Magnetic Electric" and just as good.

JSparksFan
Legend

Postby ThomyX » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:09 pm

^ Thank you so much, I'm so happy you're following this! :D Yep, most of the covers were made by me (tried to do my best with my lame photoshop skills, lol), I'm glad you like them! :D I knew you'd like the two 'X' bonus tracks! Well, 'City Games' definitely isn't urban (hence the apostrophe in the description and I admit I'm not a regular listener of the genre) but couldn't think of a better comparison! :lol: It's certainly not what I'd call pure pop either. Well, at least it has 'city' in its title and that's what the word 'urban' means after all. :P

I'm actually surprised you also like 'The Real Thing', it's such an underrated song! :D Stan for that mow mow! :cry: :lol:

Again, I'm very grateful for your detailed reviews, I love reading others' opinions!
ThomyX
Superstar

Postby Poop123 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:10 pm

I know: 8/10 I like this one, but is the youtube version pitched? It's giving me chipmunk teas.

Boy: 6/10 I dont use this one

TAPROBANE (EXTRAORDINARY DAY): 8.5/10 I love the production!

Do it Again: 7/10 I like it ish, but it sounds dated to me. I can't grasp the melody of the song.
Poop123
Manager

Postby ThomyX » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:54 pm

^ Oh, I'm glad you checked them out! :D 'I Know' surely is good, isn't it? It isn't pitched btw, it's how the song is! :wink: But it is a demo version so I guess the production on the vocals was not finished. I'm usually alone with loving 'Boy' so I can't say I'm surprised you don't like it! :lol: I'm glad to see you like 'Taprobane'!

I actually love the retro 'video game-esque' production on 'Do It Again'! Though it could happen that you find it a bit dated as it's 6 years old already! I encourage you to check out the top 10 when I get there, the best tunes are among them! :wink: Thanks for your review!
ThomyX
Superstar

Postby JSparksFan » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:22 am

ThomyX wrote:^ Thank you so much, I'm so happy you're following this! :D Yep, most of the covers were made by me (tried to do my best with my lame photoshop skills, lol), I'm glad you like them! :D I knew you'd like the two 'X' bonus tracks! Well, 'City Games' definitely isn't urban (hence the apostrophe in the description and I admit I'm not a regular listener of the genre) but couldn't think of a better comparison! :lol: It's certainly not what I'd call pure pop either. Well, at least it has 'city' in its title and that's what the word 'urban' means after all. :P

I'm actually surprised you also like 'The Real Thing', it's such an underrated song! :D Stan for that mow mow! :cry: :lol:

Again, I'm very grateful for your detailed reviews, I love reading others' opinions!
You've clearly never seen my work with Paint. :lol: Trust me, your stuff is brilliant compared to my scrawls. :lol:

I Should Be So Lucky/Dreams: 6/10 - Considering that I generally dislike such lengthy tracks and that I prefer "I Should Be So Lucky" in its optimistic, jovial, carefree original form, this is a rather high rating! :lol: The new dark feel was a bit strange at first but I started to like it about midway through.

Silence: 6.5/10 - I know the rating might disprove it, but I actually liked it. Though there really wasn't any standout moment for me, I did like the melody but the whole thing: the production, her vocals, the lyrics, was a bit average for me.

Soul On Fire: 7.5/10 - I like when artists like Kylie, those who are known for their catchy beats and over-the-top production numbers, strip down and deliver tender ballads like this one here. This one sounds like a potential grower but on the first listen, I definitely enjoyed it! I'll spin it a few more times and see if the rating improves any.

Take Me With You: 4/10 - Okay, I admit it: I sort of have a short attention span when it comes to music so if your stuff is longer than five minutes, it'd better be good or else I'll drift off into boredom. When I read that this was Kylie's longest track, I legitimately cringed, but I decided to still try to give it a fair shot and...it wasn't that bad! I didn't feel like it was nine minutes long so that's good but it did drag on a bit for me. Were it trimmed down to five minutes, I'd probably have given it something closer to 7/10.

JSparksFan
Legend

Postby ThomyX » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:06 pm

^ Yeah, I can see why you prefer the original ISBSL! I also don't think this mash-up is better but it perfectly shows how versatile Kylie's songs can be - even the ones from her PWL years! That is why I loved 'The Abbey Road Sessions', too.

Actually, 'Silence' hasn't been finished, it's about 'halway' between its demo and final version if I'm not mistaken, so you're right, the production and the vocals could be improved on it! I actually love the lyrics, though!

I'm surprised to see you liked 'Soul On Fire' on first listen (and that it's on your personal chart, too!), it is definitely a grower! I haven't even listened to it for years because after my first listen I thought it was boring... but now I love it!

Oh, I somehow knew 'Take Me With You' would not exactly win you over! :P I also think that the last two minutes or so don't give any 'extra' to the song, though. I was going through a sadder time when I first heard it so the lyrics and the melody clicked with me immediately! Mainly that's why I decided to rank it so high. :)

Updating this tonight! :wink:
ThomyX
Superstar

Return to Personal Charts