Crazy's Top Males Countdown! (2013 Edition) #1

Moderators: trebor, tdc2000, JSparksFan, FreakyFlyBry

Postby CrazyCrazy » Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:10 pm

I love male music and wanted to do a little rundown of the male artists over the years which I have developed an interest for and love! I haven't done a music countdown in a while! The main chart will only be a top 20 for now but with each main entry I will show a bunch of about 10 artists which have missed this time and their current position, the overall chart will consist of 85 male artists! It will include solo males, male bands/groups and duos.

To begin these are the first 10 that have charted:

MISSED:
#76 Gentle Giant
#77 Pere Ubu
#78 Mika
#79 a-ha
#80 Moving Gelatine Plates
#81 Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds
#82 John Grant
#83 Camel
#84 Scott Walker
#85 Bombay Bicycle Club
:D
Last edited by CrazyCrazy on Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:56 pm, edited 21 times in total.
CrazyCrazy
Legend

Postby CrazyCrazy » Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:48 pm

Let's start!

(#20) Cee-Lo Green

Maybe a surprising entry? :D I really think he has so much potential to be a very interesting neo-soul/hip-hop act! I love his voice and am still holding out for an Anastacia collaboration! I have grown to really enjoy his most recent soul/pop album but prefer his earlier work which showed his potential and proved hip-hop could interest me! I also love what he did in Gnarls Barkley!

Random 5:

o Bad Mutha
o Live (Right Now)
o Goldschläger
o Talking To Strangers
o Bright Lights, Bigger City

MISSED:
#66 Chris Isaak
#67 Giant Sand
#68 Van der Graaf Generator
#69 Peter Gabriel
#70 Frank Zappa
#71 Robert Wyatt
#72 Hot Chip
#73 John Foxx
#74 Nick Drake
#75 George Michael
Last edited by CrazyCrazy on Sat May 04, 2013 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CrazyCrazy
Legend

Postby Haribo » Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:00 pm

i don't know much about him, but "F*ck You" is great!
Haribo
Legend

Postby CrazyCrazy » Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:01 pm

Haribo wrote:i don't know much about him, but "F*ck You" is great!
It's a really fun song and even though it's not my favourite from him, I'm glad it gave him some recognition. :D
CrazyCrazy
Legend

Postby Wardo » Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:15 pm

Yaay a CRAZY countdown 8-)

Cee-Lo is amazing! Maybe a bit low in the list?

Bright Lights Bigger City is definitely my favourite! I love his work with Gnarls Barkley too.

From the missed: George Michael is nice, I really like Father Figure.
Wardo
Knight of Cups

Postby Jonathan » Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:18 pm

Never heard of your #20.

I like a lot of your missed acts: Nick Cave, Isaak, Zappa, a-ha, George (he'd be on my top male list, my favorite singer behind Mercury)
Jonathan
Legend

Postby Wardo » Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:25 pm

^
You should do a countdown too, I'd look forward for any of your lists ;)
Wardo
Knight of Cups

Postby Hermes » Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:26 pm

i only know "F*** You"" and "Crazy" ( by his group Gnarls Barkley ) from Cee-lo. I was never really interested in his music but his voice is stunning !
George Michael is a huge artist, too bad he's among the missed. :/
Hermes
Manager

Postby CrazyCrazy » Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:27 pm

Remember guys a lot of the artists in the missed are ones I still need to familiarise myself with and any one of them could shoot up in a countdown in the future! :P Also beware the order may seem really weird to some as it's quite an eclectic mix! :lol:
CrazyCrazy
Legend

Postby CrazyCrazy » Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:45 pm

(#19) Bill Fay

Not many will know Bill at all sadly, I became aware of him in about early 2011 I think, he's slowly grown on me, not sure if he will have any longevity on my male chart but it feels right to put him here at this moment. Honest artist with grit in his voice, his songs are touching and make me feel and think which is what I look for in an artist first and foremost, he recently returned to music after a long break with the acclaimed "Life Is People" album.

Random 5:
o I Hear You Calling
o Be At Peace With Yourself
o Never Ending Happening
o Don't Let My Marigolds Die
o The Room

MISSED:
#56 Fad Gadget
#57 Sparklehorse
#58 Stevie Wonder
#59 Nat King Cole
#60 Seal
#61 10cc
#62 Sam Cooke
#63 Roy Orbison
#64 Gram Parsons
#65 Justin Townes Earle
CrazyCrazy
Legend

Postby NothingFails » Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:12 pm

Bieber ftw!!! :lol:

a-ha is definitely my fave of the first list. A shame that in the US they are only known for "Take On Me" when I think they were one of the stronger bands of the 80s European synth-pop new wave scene. Scoundrel Days is an underrated masterpiece. Foot Of The Mountain was an excellent way for them to go out as well.
NothingFails
Legend

Postby NothingFails » Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:16 pm

Prefer Gnarls to Cee-Lo

Of the second batch my faves are George, Peter and Hot Chip. George's solo career is very frustrating but his first two solo albums are amazing. Peter is a genius who doesn't record frequently enough... if he'd had a larger discography he could've had the stature of a Bowie. Hot Chip are one of my fave discoveries of the past five years or so, They hooked me with Made In The Dark and then the two followup albums have been equally strong.

From batch #3, love Stevie and Roy. Stevie's 70's run of albums (namely 1972-1976) is the stuff of myth. Roy also had a wonderful voice and it was a tragedy that he died right as his career was starting to get hot again. Need to check into 10cc... I picked up "The Original Soundtrack" for cheap on vinyl recently because I love "I'm Not In Love" but have yet to dig into the rest.
NothingFails
Legend

Postby CrazyCrazy » Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:07 pm

NothingFails wrote:Bieber ftw!!! :lol:

a-ha is definitely my fave of the first list. A shame that in the US they are only known for "Take On Me" when I think they were one of the stronger bands of the 80s European synth-pop new wave scene. Scoundrel Days is an underrated masterpiece. Foot Of The Mountain was an excellent way for them to go out as well.
No laughing matter Biebs might slay, just you wait! 8-) :lol:

a-ha - I only have 2 albums in my library East of The Sun... & Hunting High & Low, tbh I've only ever known them for "Take On Me" up until I got these two, I've enjoyed what I have heard so far and love Morten's voice! :D Will download those two of course as I don't want to be missing anything! :lol:
CrazyCrazy
Legend

Postby CrazyCrazy » Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:09 pm

NothingFails wrote:Prefer Gnarls to Cee-Lo

Of the second batch my faves are George, Peter and Hot Chip. George's solo career is very frustrating but his first two solo albums are amazing. Peter is a genius who doesn't record frequently enough... if he'd had a larger discography he could've had the stature of a Bowie. Hot Chip are one of my fave discoveries of the past five years or so, They hooked me with Made In The Dark and then the two followup albums have been equally strong.

From batch #3, love Stevie and Roy. Stevie's 70's run of albums (namely 1972-1976) is the stuff of myth. Roy also had a wonderful voice and it was a tragedy that he died right as his career was starting to get hot again. Need to check into 10cc... I picked up "The Original Soundtrack" for cheap on vinyl recently because I love "I'm Not In Love" but have yet to dig into the rest.
All of the artists you've mentioned are ones I need to invest more time in to I can see some of them shooting up my lists in the coming years!! I thank Dan for bringing Hot Chip to my attention! :D
CrazyCrazy
Legend

Postby toni_pest » Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:50 pm

Cee-Lo had a few nice songs, but his voice annoys me in most cases/songs. F**k You is my favorite.
:)
toni_pest
Coming Soon

Postby CrazyCrazy » Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:33 pm

toni_pest wrote:Cee-Lo had a few nice songs, but his voice annoys me in most cases/songs. F**k You is my favorite.
You should definitely check out more from him, no way would he be #20 just on F*ck You alone! :P
CrazyCrazy
Legend

Postby stevyy » Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:42 pm

cee-lo is an amazing singer.. and i agree with John. A-Ha are great!
stevyy
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:59 pm

:lol: at Justin being in the main pic! You're so shady, Bill!

Cee Lo is amazing! I don't know much of his discography but a friend of mine recommended "I Want You" earlier this year and I loved it. It's easily my fave Cee Lo song of the few that I know. "F**k You" is obviously great and I like "It's Ok" as well.
Akini's Top 25 Artists of 2018: [#1 Revealed!]

The broken world waits in darkness for the light that is you.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby CrazyCrazy » Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:03 am

Thanks Stevvy! I'm liking a-ha more & more! :D

Akini! I love how you always follow such countdowns!! 8-) <3

I hope you continue to listen to the links, I know you like to do your rating thing! :lol: Yes check more Cee-Loo (As Gagich would say!)

And before anyone asks no Bill isn't Jesus! :roll:

Oh and those who like Stevie Wonder should try "Talking To Strangers" by Lo! :D
CrazyCrazy
Legend

Postby NothingFails » Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:46 am

CrazyCrazy wrote:

a-ha - I only have 2 albums in my library East of The Sun... & Hunting High & Low, tbh I've only ever known them for "Take On Me" up until I got these two, I've enjoyed what I have heard so far and love Morten's voice! :D Will download those two of course as I don't want to be missing anything! :lol:
Scoundrel Days is the followup to HH&L but it's probably their artsiest and one of their more rocky albums. Manhattan Skyline is epic. I also have Stay On These Roads which does have a few really strong tracks (Out Of Blue Comes Green being my fave off that one) but also has the most filler of any of the albums I've heard of theirs.
NothingFails
Legend

Postby CrazyCrazy » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:55 pm

NothingFails wrote:
CrazyCrazy wrote:

Scoundrel Days is the followup to HH&L but it's probably their artsiest and one of their more rocky albums. Manhattan Skyline is epic. I also have Stay On These Roads which does have a few really strong tracks (Out Of Blue Comes Green being my fave off that one) but also has the most filler of any of the albums I've heard of theirs.
I'm looking forward to hearing it! :D
CrazyCrazy
Legend

Postby CrazyCrazy » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:08 pm

(#18) Steve Hackett

Yes I prefer Steve's solo stuff right now to Genesis, Steve left them in 1977 and I'm glad he did! He has produced some truly epic albums, his music is so ethereal and magical but his music is ideal for the imagination to get to work! He has immense skill but I am still exploring him so his longevity on the chart is yet to be determined!

Random 5:
o Hands of The Priestess Pt.1&2
o Star of Sirius
o Clocks (The Angel Of Mons)
o The Phoenix Flown
o This World

MISSED:
#46 Jack Peñate
#47 Simply Red
#48 Paul Buchanan
#49 Pet Shop Boys
#50 Blur
#51 Neil Young
#52 Owen Pallett
#53 Shearwater
#54 Everything Everything
#55 James Blake
CrazyCrazy
Legend

Postby NothingFails » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:35 pm

Need to check Steve out.... usually when I think of Genesis guys gone solo, it's always Phil and Peter, the two frontmen.

Love James Blake, he's a freaking genius and Overgrown is better than the debut. Love PSB too, sure Chun will be able to elaborate as well.
NothingFails
Legend

Postby toni_pest » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:39 pm

CrazyCrazy wrote:
toni_pest wrote:Cee-Lo had a few nice songs, but his voice annoys me in most cases/songs. F**k You is my favorite.
You should definitely check out more from him, no way would he be #20 just on F*ck You alone! :P
I will one day... :lol:
:)
toni_pest
Coming Soon

Postby CrazyCrazy » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:23 pm

(#17) Tom Waits

Tom is a grower, I knew instantly that he had something fresh and interesting to offer me so I knew it would only be a matter of time before I "clicked" with him, he is a crazy dude with an interesting voice which he uses as an artistic vessel. I'm not sure if his voice has become croakier with age or if he just likes to sound like that because some of his earlier vocals were much less husky. :o Great dude with fresh and diverse material. :D

Random 5:
o What's He Building?
o Earth Died Screaming
o After You Die
o I Hope I Don't Fall In Love With You
o Misery Is The River of The World

MISSED:
#41 Michael Jackson
#42 The Incredible String Band
#43 UB40
#44 The Beatles
#45 Red Hot Chili Peppers
I'll post more missed with artist #14 and then every 2 artists upward.

CrazyCrazy
Legend

Return to Personal Charts