100 Reasons I Love 2008 [FINALLY COMPLETE]

Moderators: tdc2000, JSparksFan, FreakyFlyBry

Postby SholasBoy » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:30 pm

This is the only year since I started doing my personal chart in 1998 that I don't have a full top 100 for. It was a bit of a dodgy year for me music-wise. It's the year I stopped compiling my personal top 40 in the Spring after 10 years, then turned it into a weekly playlist (A/B/C), then in the Autumn it came back as a top 50, which has continued weekly for coming up to 5 years now. So there are definite gaps in my charts through 2008, messing up some artists history's.

Here's a look at what may be to come:

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

Previously I had reported "Beginning of the Twist" by The Futureheads to be my favourite of 2008, but 5 years on, has that changed?
SholasBoy
Chief Wig Snatcher

Postby Haribo » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:43 pm

Sounds nice!
Haribo
Legend

Postby Virgostar » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:39 am

2008 was/is a favourite year for me regarding music, so I am looking forward to this countdown!
Let's embrace the point of no return.
Virgostar
Ex-Admin

Postby toni_pest » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:12 pm

2008 was a great year and I'll love this chart based on those covers. Dance Wiv Me >>>
:)
toni_pest
Coming Soon

Postby Lollo95 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:28 pm

Yes, 2008 was a great year in music, not as great as 2007 though.
Lollo95
Superstar

Postby Spartan » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:37 pm

Looking back at 2008, it seems like quite a good year for music. :)
Spartan
Legend

Postby SholasBoy » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:31 pm

#100 THE SCRIPT - THE MAN WHO CAN'T BE MOVED
Peak#2

The Script have never had a song successful enough to make my top 100 of the year, until this, which just scrapes in at #100. The Script have had some really interesting songs which is thanks I guess to Danny's songwriting skills. This is one of four songs to ever enter my personal chart for the band, peaking at #2, other hits include "Breakeven" (#7) and "We Cry" (#13).

#99 CHANEL - DANCE
Peak Unknown

Here's an example of one of the songs that fell in the period I'm missing charts from, but if I remember right it was a top 3 hit in my chart, potentially a #1. Chanel had scored a hit with a dance remix of her flop debut hit "My Life" in 2006. Following that this was another dance version of what sounded like another R&B track.

#98 JOHN LEGEND - EVERYBODY KNOWS
Peak #8

John Legend came back in 2008 with a fantastic album in Evolver. One of my favourite R&B releases of the year and this was a standout track from it. It became one of four songs from the album to make my personal chart that year and was his last top 10 hit in my chart until his latest single "Who Do We Think We Are?" reached #5 last week. It brings John's total of appearances in my year end charts up to 3, though there may still be one more to come this year...

#97 IDA MARIA - OH MY GOD
Peak #6

A one hit wonder in the UK with her other song from this year, Oh My God was an unsuccessful follow up which I liked for it's ridiculous shouting and schitzo sounding lyrics. She finally scored a third top 50 hit in my chart last year when "Cherry Red" squezed in at #49.

#96 SCOOTER - THE QUESTION IS, WHAT IS THE QUESTION?
Peak #5

An act that very rarely makes any impression on my personal chart, this joins only "Posse" from 2002 in making my personal top 10. Though only this has given them an appearance in a year end chart. I dunno what it was about those particular tracks I liked, but this was kinda fun, I remember dancing to it once at a chav theme night at a place I used to work :lol:
SholasBoy
Chief Wig Snatcher

Postby Virgostar » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:31 am

Nothing I like terribly there, although that Script song is ok. Heard a guy busking in Pitt St Mall (main shopping area of Sydney's CBD) last week & doing a great rendition of that song...dare I say it, it was better than the original.
Virgostar
Ex-Admin

Postby toni_pest » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:34 am

Loved that Script song back then, but it's cheesy now. Don't know anything else.
toni_pest
Coming Soon

Postby Lollo95 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:49 pm

The Ida Maria song isn't anything special, but The Script one is really brilliant!
Lollo95
Superstar

Postby Spartan » Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:48 pm

Great Script song!
Spartan
Legend

Postby SholasBoy » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:50 pm

#95 COLOURS FT.DOMINO - HOLD ME AND KISS ME
Peak#16

Wasn't sure if this took a direct sample from Guru Josh, or just sounded pretty similar, but it was a familiar sort of sound in 2008 with it's trumpet and cheesy vocal. It's the only appearance Colours ever had in my chart, though the song title "Colours" has also provided top 20 success for Rosie Ribbons, Amos Lee and Nadia Oh.

#94 KERI HILSON - ENERGY
Peak#4

As well as featuring on #1s in my chart for Nas and Timbaland, Keri Hilson has had #1s with "Pretty Girl Rock" and "Return The Favour", her biggest hit in my chart so far, which was my #8 of 2009. "Energy" gave Keri her first top 5 solo hit on my chart when it climbed as high as #4, and got a UK release much later thanks to the success of other singles. This is a strong vocal on a mid-tempo which again was quite a popular sound at the time.

#93 JESSE MCCARTNEY - LEAVIN'
Peak#2
I think Jesse might be wondering how Justin Bieber stole his career. He had a little success in my chart in the mid 00's with tracks like "Beautiful Soul" and "Get Your Shine On", but scored by far his biggest hit so far with "Leavin", which incidentally is Jesse's only song to make one of my top 100 year-end charts.

#92 CHRISTIAN FALK FT.ROBYN - DREAM ON
Peak#27

Christian Falk made my top 10 in the later Summer of 2000 with the track "Make It Right", but it took 8 years for a follow up, and although "Dream On" had a somewhat low peak in my chart, it was a song I stuck with, hanging around a little while, many thank to the Moto Blanco remix. It had the advantage of featuring Robyn at a time where she herself was finally blowing up after years of trying.

#91 CSS - MOVE
Peak#12

CSS had a little success in my personal chart with their first album, but "Move" is a track that has really stood the test of time for me, it took a slow climb up to a peak of #12 in my chart. They had previously featured in my top 100 of 2007 with "Let's Make Love and Listen To Death From Above", which went one place higher as my #90 of that year.
SholasBoy
Chief Wig Snatcher

Postby Skoolio » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:05 pm

Sooooooooo happy you're doing this! I was obsessed with all your previous contdowns two years ago. :D
Some people believe in God, I believe in music. Some people pray, I turn up the radio.
Skoolio
Manager

Postby toni_pest » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:13 pm

Oh my, that Falk/Robyn track was hunting me everywhere I went when it was released which was strange since it wasn't even a big hit her :lol: Love Keri HIlson's Energy, deserved to be a bigger hit :D
toni_pest
Coming Soon

Postby Lollo95 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:34 am

Didn't know that CSS track, but it's pretty addictive!
Lollo95
Superstar

Postby Haribo » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:00 am

Oh, "Leavin'"! :P
Haribo
Legend

Postby SholasBoy » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:28 pm

#90 TILLY AND THE WALL - BEAT CONTROL
Peak#2

Tilly and The Wall are a bit of a one-hit-wonder in my chart with only this and "Pot Kettle Black" (#45) ever entering my personal top 50. It's a cute wonky-pop song.

#89 ELECTROVAMP - I DON'T LIKE THE VIBE IN THE VIP
Peak#1

Sounding like a mix of Shiny Toy Guns and Bodyrox/Luciana. Electrovamp went straight to #1 in my chart with this one and followed it up with the #32 lesser hit "Drinks Taste Better When They're Free".

#88 JAMIE LIDELL - ANOTHER DAY
Peak#4

Not to be confused with the supermarket, I liked this song so much, I ended up buying Jamie's album, though being a little disappointed with it. In fact this is his only song to ever chart in my personal top 50.

#87 IDA MARIA - I LIKE YOU SO MUCH BETTER WHEN YOU'RE NAKED
Peak#6

This was a fun, if not a little gimmicky song, but a little ruined for me when I started to notice a similarity between her voice and Tommy Pickles from Rugrats in parts of the song :lol:

#86 BEYONCE - IF I WERE A BOY
Peak#2

The "Sasha Fierce" album was a huge disappointment for me after the awesome "BDay" and the start of my decline in appreciation for her. However things started off ok with this song peaking at #2 on my chart. The album scored 3 more minor hits with "Halo" (#14), "Diva" and "Radio" (both #35). This brings Beyonce's total up to 7 appearances in my year end charts with "Crazy In Love" (#3 of 2003) being the biggest.
SholasBoy
Chief Wig Snatcher

Postby Virgostar » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:47 am

The other Ida Maria song at #87 is a lot of fun.
Virgostar
Ex-Admin

Postby toni_pest » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:48 am

I remember that one from Electro Vamp, never really liked it tohugh. If I Were a Boy was nice.
toni_pest
Coming Soon

Postby Haribo » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:58 am

Ahhh, "If I Were a Boy" is such an incredible tune. It's way too low! The live performances are so breathtaking. Sad you didn't like I Am... Sasha Fierce... probably my all-time favorite album.
Haribo
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:50 am

"The Man Who Can't Be Moved" is probably my fave song from The Script. Pleased to see that it made the Top 100, even if it only managed to do so by the skin of its teeth. "Energy" is great too though I think I was more interested in its video with hottie Christian Keyes starring.

:lol: at Justin stealing Jessie's career. In my youthful ignorance, I considered the video for "Leavin'' to be quite raunchy (and hot). The song itself isn't bad though. "If I Were A Boy" is one of Bey's greatest ballads. Love the message and I adore the video.
"Love yourself so that love will not be a stranger when it comes, and it will come."

Akini's Top 25 Artists of 2017: [#1 Revealed!]
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Spartan » Thu May 02, 2013 7:38 pm

If I Were A Boy is one of Bey's best.
Spartan
Legend

Postby SholasBoy » Fri May 03, 2013 7:26 pm

#85 THE KOOKS - ALWAYS WHERE I NEED TO BE
Peak#17

This is the second time The Kooks have appeared in one of my top 100's of the year after being my #50 of 2006 with "Naive". However there will be one more appearance from them this year.

#84 JESSICA MAUBOY FT.FLO RIDA - RUNNING BACK
Peak#9
She was the winner of Australian factor/idol something or other wasn't she? This is one of three of her songs to ever make my personal chart, although this was her only one to make the top 10, she did score a further top 20 hit in 2008 with "Burn".

#83 RADIOHEAD - NUDE
Peak#7

A third appearance in my year end charts for Radiohead who also made my top 100 in 1997 with "Karma Police" (#80) and in 98 with "No Surprises" (#79). This was famously used in the promotion of the Skins series. My favourite song of theirs in a decade.

#82 KYLIE MINOGUE - THE ONE (FREEMASONS REMIX)
Peak#3

My favourite song from the "X" era for Kylie, The One was re-jigged to become a massive club hit courtesy of the Freemasons. It also marks a third appearance from her in my year end charts with 2010's "Get Out Of My Way" at #28 that year still being her biggest hit. Only four other Kylie songs have gone higher in my personal chart than this one.

#81 ALESHA DIXON - THE BOY DOES NOTHING
Peak#1

When I relaunched my personal top 50 in 2008 this was the first song to spend 2 weeks at #1. It's still quite fun to listen to now, but sounds a bit dated I guess. This was a big comeback for her after a less successful start to her solo career. Still it's been a bit shaky for her on my own personal chart, only one other song since then has made my top 50, that was another #1 though in the shape of "Drummer Boy" which was my #82 of 2010, allowing this one to go one place higher.
SholasBoy
Chief Wig Snatcher

Postby jszmiles » Fri May 03, 2013 7:33 pm

IDA MARIA - I LIKE YOU SO MUCH BETTER WHEN YOU'RE NAKED - <3<3<3<3<3<3
jszmiles
Legend

Postby Tiger » Sat May 04, 2013 4:43 am

#82 KYLIE MINOGUE - THE ONE (FREEMASONS REMIX)
#81 ALESHA DIXON - THE BOY DOES NOTHING
#86 BEYONCE - IF I WERE A BOY
#94 KERI HILSON - ENERGY
#100 THE SCRIPT - THE MAN WHO CAN'T BE MOVED

Alesha Dixon is nice... waiting for the Top 80
These foolish games are tearing me apart

My CHART
Tiger
Lover Of (Mostly) Everything Pop

Return to Personal Charts