Akini's Top 200 Songs of All-Time: [#1 REVEALED!]

Moderators: trebor, tdc2000, JSparksFan, FreakyFlyBry

Which track will be crowned my favourite song of all-time?

Bad Romance
7%
Battlefield
11%
Blown Away
7%
Dirty Diana
7%
Fighter
No votes
I Will Always Love You
20%
Irreplaceable
2%
It's All Coming Back To Me Now
2%
Making Love Out of Nothing At All
No votes
Mine
4%
Papa Don't Preach
2%
Piece of Me
9%
Rolling In The Deep
2%
Umbrella
16%
We Belong Together
11%

Total votes : 45

Postby JSparksFan » Mon May 06, 2013 3:55 am

For the past six months, I've worked compiling what would be the biggest countdown I've ever had the opportunity to present and now comes the time to share the results with all of you guys. Ranked using five criteria, namely: (1) vocals, (2) lyrical content, (3) personal relevance, (4) instrumentation, and (5) airplay, I've worked out my two hundred favourite songs ever recorded.

Prepare yourselves for a thrilling chart, comprised of songs recorded all the way back to the 60's to those released mere months ago, encompassing all the genres: Pop, R&B, Country, Rock, and everything in between. To give sort of a gauge as to what is to be expected in the upcoming months, listed below are the fifteen contenders for the title of Akini's all-time favourite song. Place your bets in the poll provided. Vote wisely now. :wink:

Last edited by JSparksFan on Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:12 am, edited 63 times in total.
Akini's Top 25 Artists of 2018: [#1 Revealed!]

The broken world waits in darkness for the light that is you.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Haribo » Mon May 06, 2013 10:56 am

Great! :D

Just played "Dirty Diana", "Making Love Out of Nothing at All", and "Papa Don't Preach" on YouTube cause I had no idea what they sounded like. I'll say what I think about 'em when that'll be their time! :D

Overall, the poll options are very good. And I think the winner will be... "We Belong Together". :) although it could be either "Battlefied", or "Blown Away" too. :lol:
Haribo
Legend

Postby Era » Mon May 06, 2013 11:45 am

Under My Umbrella ela-ela-ela-eh-eh-eh
Like C'mon guys its the hook of the century ! I voted for it

N will the #1 be from only these 15 or there might be some surprises :D
Well I'm surprised that WFL isn't nominated , are there any chances that it will be ? :(
Last edited by Era on Mon May 06, 2013 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Era
Legend

Postby Lollo95 » Mon May 06, 2013 12:57 pm

This must be so hard to compile! I don't know why, but everytime I try to think of my favourite song of all time, at least 20 or 25 songs come directly to my mind. How could I ever decide which one is my favourite one? :lol:
Lollo95
Superstar

Postby Phoenixx » Mon May 06, 2013 2:23 pm

I'd vote for Blown Away because it's very often in your charts! :-D
Phoenixx
Purpose

Postby Spartan » Mon May 06, 2013 4:35 pm

Just 200? I'd struggle narrowing it down to 1000.
I voted for I Will Always Love You, but there are several songs on there that I wouldn't mind winning.
Spartan
Legend

Postby toni_pest » Mon May 06, 2013 4:42 pm

I've also been thinking of doing the top 500 of all time soon. This will be interesting, just hope Mine or We Belon gTogether don't top it. Bad Romance ftw !
:)
toni_pest
Coming Soon

Postby Benny » Mon May 06, 2013 8:36 pm

Great, I will definitely follow this one! Voted for "I Will Always Love You" btw. :wink:
Benny
Legend

Postby MostFierce » Mon May 06, 2013 11:37 pm

Pretty exciting,,,,there is so many fierce choices in your poll...but i went with
"I Will Always Love You" mostly because its a pure classic among those!
MostFierce
Manager

Postby FreakyFlyBry » Tue May 07, 2013 4:50 am

Tough choice... but I know you've always loved "I Will Always Love You" so I figure that has the #1 spot. :)
FreakyFlyBry
No Title, No Topic

Postby JSparksFan » Tue May 07, 2013 4:18 pm

Thanks for all the comments, everyone! The first batch shall be revealed within the hour! :D

Haribo wrote:Great! :D

Just played "Dirty Diana", "Making Love Out of Nothing at All", and "Papa Don't Preach" on YouTube cause I had no idea what they sounded like. I'll say what I think about 'em when that'll be their time! :D

Overall, the poll options are very good. And I think the winner will be... "We Belong Together". :) although it could be either "Battlefied", or "Blown Away" too. :lol:
I hope you liked them but I guess it'll be a while 'til I find out.

Your pick to win is "We Belong Together"? Smart choice but we'll see. (Good back-up choices too)!

Era wrote:Under My Umbrella ela-ela-ela-eh-eh-eh
Like C'mon guys its the hook of the century ! I voted for it

N will the #1 be from only these 15 or there might be some surprises :D
Well I'm surprised that WFL isn't nominated , are there any chances that it will be ? :(
That hook is a pretty big reason why "Umbrella" is even up to win. :lol:

I've had a love/hate relationship with "We Found Love" so it definitely will not be making this particular countdown. And yes, the #1 will be one of the fifteen poll options but they are not the Top 15. A number of them missed the Top 20 altogether. Which ones though? :wink:

Lollo95 wrote:This must be so hard to compile! I don't know why, but everytime I try to think of my favourite song of all time, at least 20 or 25 songs come directly to my mind. How could I ever decide which one is my favourite one? :lol:
It wasn't easy but it was fun and I discovered quite a few old-time favourites along the way.

MarcusDGST6811 wrote:I'd vote for Blown Away because it's very often in your charts! :-D
Good guess but let's see if being the most recent release of the batch works in its favour!

Spartan wrote:Just 200? I'd struggle narrowing it down to 1000.
I voted for I Will Always Love You, but there are several songs on there that I wouldn't mind winning.
Well, I originally had somewhere around 350 songs but I cut the list almost in half because I found that there's a big difference between liking/loving a song and considering it an all-time favourite.

Interesting pick! You went with the song I grew up hearing. Can't say it wasn't a wise pick. :wink:

toni_pest wrote:I've also been thinking of doing the top 500 of all time soon. This will be interesting, just hope Mine or We Belong Together don't top it. Bad Romance ftw !
Ooh, do you have a possible start date for that? I'd be interested in seeing that for sure.

I make no promises. :lol:

Benny wrote:Great, I will definitely follow this one! Voted for "I Will Always Love You" btw. :wink:
Yay, glad to have you on board! Ooh, another Whitney supporter. :D

MostFierce wrote:Pretty exciting,,,,there is so many fierce choices in your poll...but i went with
"I Will Always Love You" mostly because its a pure classic among those!
Wow, looks like Whitney's the clear favourite so far! :o

FreakyFlyBry wrote:Tough choice... but I know you've always loved "I Will Always Love You" so I figure that has the #1 spot. :)
And Whitney again! :lol:

JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Tue May 07, 2013 5:36 pm

#200. Mariah Carey - For The Record

My all-time favourite songs countdown is fittingly kicked off by Mariah and this gem from her E=MC² record. I say "fittingly" because this is the first of sixteen entries from the Songbird Supreme which makes her the act with the most entries in the countdown.

Personally, I'm still miffed that this was never released as a single because it has such hit potential. Though the song is far from Mariah's vocal peak, its marketability lies in its sleek melody and self-confident lyrics (Them other irregularities, they can't compete with MC, the whole entire world can tell, that you love yourself some me). I love the bridge where she references some of her past hits, namely: "Always Be My Baby", "My All", "Underneath The Stars", "Can't Let Go", and "Honey" (incidentally, two of those can be found higher up in the countdown). There's a tone of desperation in this song that I like too, coupled with frustration as to why the protagonist and her ex-lover can't just press rewind and give their failed relationship a second try.

Though I only discovered this fine specimen of a song last year when I was making a thorough inspection of Miss Carey's discography, it grew on me quickly and my iPod wouldn't be the same without it.
Code: Select all
Vocals: 8/10
Lyrical Content: 9/10
Personal Relevance: 8/10
Instrumentation: 9/10
Airplay: 10/10

Overall Rating: 44/50

#199. Bon Jovi - This Ain't A Love Song

The first of two entries from Bon Jovi is the lead single from the band's These Days record released in the summer of 1995 (when I was born!)

Co-written by Jon Bon Jovi himself, "This Ain't A Love Song", is, in fact, a love song. :lol: Lyrically, it's easily the most poignant, emotional ballad that Bon Jovi have ever recorded and I love that even though it's a Rock song sung by a Rock band that there are such heavy R&B influences (because really that genre is home to some of the greatest love songs recorded in music history).

I was first introduced to this song in 2007 when LaKisha Jones performed it on the sixth installment of American Idol. I thought her performance was terrific and the song choice stellar so I quickly made my way to YouTube to check out the original, which, as is evidenced by its appearance here, I grew to love. There's a passion, an unbridled longing brought to life through this song that I just absolutely love. Everything ties in so well: the vocals, the lyrics, the guitars, to create what is simply a powerful love song.
Vocals: 9/10
Personal Relevance: 10/10
Instrumentation: 8/10
Airplay: 8/10

#198. Peabo Bryson & Regina Belle - A Whole New World

Most people on the planet are familiar with Aladdin and as this is pretty much that film's theme song, it goes without saying that "A Whole New World" made a massive impression on audiences as well.

There's this quality that very many Disney songs have: full of optimism, brightness, hope, it's really a beautiful characteristic. All of these are present in "A Whole New World" and as it's one of the songs that I can remember hearing in the very early years of my childhood, it holds a special place in my heart. I sincerely want to go on a magic carpet ride after listening to "A Whole New World". :lol: Peabo and Regina did a great job on this. Their vocals compliment each other so beautifully and this gem is an undisputed classic.

As you'd expect, this is the first and final entry from both parties involved.
Vocals: 10/10
Airplay: 6/10

#197. Gloria Gaynor - I Will Survive

The story behind "I Will Survive" is quite interesting. Gloria suffered a back injury when her producers, Freddie Perren and Dino Fekaris, penned this for her. She underwent surgery and was still in a back brace when she recorded "I Will Survive" so obviously she was able to sing this with sincerity.

The song's lyrics actually speak about the protagonist recovering after an emotionally debilitating break-up. Of course, as I'm a sucker for these empowerment anthems, I quickly gravitated to this one and furthermore since the gay community have adopted "I Will Survive", as we do with very many female empowerment anthems, as one of our personal anthems, I have even more reason to adore it.

The opening, melodramatic piano notes are so instantly recognizable and this song has truly become an enduring classic and has served as a beacon of strength for many people who felt like they had none. The Glee Cast mashed this one up with Destiny's Child "Survivor" to create what I felt was a brilliant track. Nothing quite matches the quality of the original for me though.

This is the first and last song from Miss Gloria Gaynor.
Personal Relevance: 9/10
Airplay: 9/10

#196. Katy Perry - I Kissed A Girl

Okay, so how does a girl go from singing Gospel in 2001 to re-emerging, under a new alias, as a bi-curious vixen seven years later in 2008 with "I Kissed A Girl"? Well, I'm not quite sure what prompted the transformation but whatever it was, I'm grateful for it.

I remember a lot of buzz surrounding this song in 2008 but as I was enrolled in a very conservative, very staunch Christian school, I did feel naughty for checking this one out. I saw the music video that summer and I wasn't impressed. It actually took "Waking Up In Vegas" to make me purchase a ticket on the Katy express after which I revisited this song and grew to adore it.

I certainly can't relate to the song (nor do I think I ever will unless I'm under the influence of something very, very strong) but it's still a fun anthem, very liberating, very carefree, very...experimental. The hook stays with you for days and all in all, it was a terrific out-of-the-gate single for Miss Perry.

This is the first of three songs charting for Katy Perry.
Personal Relevance: 7/10
Instrumentation: 10/10

JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Haribo » Tue May 07, 2013 5:38 pm

I have yet voted. Don't know which song to pick up. :)

Great to see "I Will Survive" and "I Kissed a Girl". I didn't imagine Katy's song was going to be that low! :o

Ratings are already very high! :o

--

200. "For the Record" — Checked it out, and it's nice. I got scared at the beginning, but the end is good. 5.5/10

199. "This Ain't a Love Song" — Checked it out, and both nice & okay the same time. Some parts are great while others boring. 4.5/10

198. "A Whole New World" — Checked it out, and it's nice. Not amazing song, but beautiful vocals. 5/10

197. "I Will Survive" — Classic. I only like it though. 6.5/10

196. "I Kissed a Girl" — Always loved it. Catchy tune. 8/10
    Image Batch 01 — 5.9/10
First batch, and first positive rating! :D
Last edited by Haribo on Tue May 28, 2013 2:30 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Haribo
Legend

Postby Benny » Tue May 07, 2013 6:14 pm

"I Kissed A Girl" is my favourite one from the first bunch. I also like "A Whole New World" and "I Will Survive".
Benny
Legend

Postby Spartan » Tue May 07, 2013 7:31 pm

Don't know the Mariah song.
Bon Jovi is excellent, though not quite my favoruite by him.
LOVE A Whole New World (even though I've never seen Aladdin), it's such a magical song.
I Will Survive is flawless. Though I'm always reminded of Lisa Kudrow singing it.
I Kissed A Girl is a decent pop song, nothing more though IMO.
Spartan
Legend

Postby PosziMC2 » Tue May 07, 2013 7:49 pm

How Come I kissed a Girl made this?

Nice choices for #1 Except for Zzzline's mess
P=MC2's Top 20
Merci wrote:Poszilicious, pussy served delicious!
PosziMC2
Legend

Postby adg » Tue May 07, 2013 8:00 pm

#1 has to be Battlefield, you are JSparksFan afterall :lol:

Not familiar with that Mariah Carey song but I like all the others from the first bunch. Nice start :wink:
adg
Superstar

Postby CrazyCrazy » Tue May 07, 2013 8:14 pm

Even though I'm not a MASSIVE disco fan, Gloria Gaynor's one is a classic and has relevance to everyone. ;) I was shocked to find out this song was originally a B-Side and it was a last minute decision to flip it to an A-Side, the song may never have even been a single/been heard! :o
CrazyCrazy
Legend

Postby Phoenixx » Tue May 07, 2013 8:21 pm

I kissed A girl so low? :o
It's the only one I like undr the last 5! :-D
Phoenixx
Purpose

Postby JSparksFan » Thu May 09, 2013 1:13 am

Thanks for the comments, everyone! :D

Haribo wrote:I have yet voted. Don't know which song to pick up. :)

Great to see "I Will Survive" and "I Kissed a Girl". I didn't imagine Katy's song was going to be that low! :o

Rating are already very high! :o
Well, Katy does still have two songs left so let's see how high she can go. As for the ratings, well, only the best of the best were left after I weeded out almost half of the shortlist. :D

Benny wrote:"I Kissed A Girl" is my favourite one from the first bunch. I also like "A Whole New World" and "I Will Survive".
Pleased to hear you like those three! :D

Spartan wrote:Don't know the Mariah song.
Bon Jovi is excellent, though not quite my favoruite by him.
LOVE A Whole New World (even though I've never seen Aladdin), it's such a magical song.
I Will Survive is flawless. Though I'm always reminded of Lisa Kudrow singing it.
I Kissed A Girl is a decent pop song, nothing more though IMO.
You've never seen Aladdin? :o

:lol: at that Phoebe clip. She's brilliant, easily my favourite Friends character.

PosziMC2 wrote:How Come I kissed a Girl made this?

Nice choices for #1 Except for Zzzline's mess
Ah, I see Katy's the polarizing member of the batch. It's just a song I love, my favourite from her first era actually.

Glad you like most of the poll choices!

adg wrote:#1 has to be Battlefield, you are JSparksFan afterall :lol:

Not familiar with that Mariah Carey song but I like all the others from the first bunch. Nice start :wink:
Ah, we will see about "Battlefield". Interestingly enough, it's always been #1 on any countdown I've ever done.

4/5 for the first batch! Awesome! 8-)

CrazyCrazy wrote:Even though I'm not a MASSIVE disco fan, Gloria Gaynor's one is a classic and has relevance to everyone. ;) I was shocked to find out this song was originally a B-Side and it was a last minute decision to flip it to an A-Side, the song may never have even been a single/been heard! :o
And considering the quality of the B-sides, I think we can breathe a sigh of relief that that last-minute decision was made.

MarcusDGST6811 wrote:I kissed A girl so low? :o
It's the only one I like undr the last 5! :-D
Well, #196 sounds low on paper but in the context of this countdown, it's an honour to even be in the Top 200. I'm guessing you'll like at least two in the next batch but I'm not sure.

JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Wardo » Thu May 09, 2013 1:22 am

Wow, interesting countdown :D

I always love your lists anyway!

I really hope Dirty Diana is a true contestant for the top 3!

And I just died a little reading that Marcus would rank I Kissed A Girl in his Top 5 OF ALL TIME :-? :lol:
Wardo
Knight of Cups

Postby JSparksFan » Thu May 09, 2013 1:36 am

Wardo wrote:Wow, interesting countdown :D

I always love your lists anyway!

I really hope Dirty Diana is a true contestant for the top 3!

And I just died a little reading that Marcus would rank I Kissed A Girl in his Top 5 OF ALL TIME :-? :lol:
Ooh, very glad to hear you'll be following this. "Dirty Diana" is a true contender for the Top 3, just as all the other fourteen options are. :lol:

Oh, and you misunderstood Marcus. He said that "I Kissed A Girl" was the only song from the first set of five songs that he liked.

JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Thu May 09, 2013 3:07 am

#195. Rihanna - Russian Roulette

The first of ten entries from my favourite Caribbean-born Pop star, Rihanna, is her 2009 comeback song, "Russian Roulette".

As a massive fan of Miss Fenty, I was very eager to hear just how she would return to the music scene after the Chris Brown domestic abuse incident. That summer she had teamed up with Jay-Z and Kanye West on "Run This Town" but I wanted to know if she would address the traumatizing February 8th, 2009 debacle with her own lead single. Though she didn't do so explicitly, the undertones were present and "Russian Roulette" served as an indicator of the dark mood of its parent album, Rated R, which would soon follow.

I love the melodramatic melody of the track, coupled by the metaphorical lyrics that allude to the chances you take in the harsh game of love. Vocally, I strongly contend that it was Rihanna's strongest performance at that point in her career and though it eventually ended up as her weakest charting lead single to date in the United States, it's definitely among her career-best tracks and is definitely one of her most mature. That gunshot at the end is so cleverly placed, literally ending the track with a bang.
Lyrical Content: 10/10
Airplay: 7/10

Overall Rating: 45/50

#194. Bette Midler - Wind Beneath My Wings

Though there have been a multiplicity of covers of this classic song, it's Bette Midler's version that has had the greatest impact commercially and the one that is remembered best among them all.

Nabbing both Song and Record of the Year honours at the 1990 Grammy Awards, "Wind Beneath My Wings" was as big a hit with the critics as it was with the charts. The song is actually one of the first songs I remember hearing as a young child and though it took some years for me to place a face and name to the gem, it's one of the definitive classics of my youth. It's such a well-penned track, so beautifully written and masterfully sung. I love the arrangement of the song too. It starts off a bit melancholic but its tone lightens as the song progresses. The chorus is one of the most beautiful choruses of all-time, so delightfully gorgeous.

This is the first and final entry from Bette Midler.
Airplay: 8/10

#193. Donna Summer - She Works Hard For The Money

The first of two entries from the late Donna Summer is the 1983 classic, "She Works Hard For The Money".

Co-written by Miss Summer herself, the song actually chronicles an actual meeting between the singer and an exhausted bathroom attendant, who is featured on the back of parent album (of the same name). The video clip for "She Works Hard For The Money" was the first video by an African-American female artist to be placed on heavy rotation on MTV. I first discovered this gem when Jordin Sparks performed it on American Idol in 2007. I eagerly checked out the original a few days later and fell in love with it. It's such an eclectic fusion of Dance and Rock and Donna pulls it off seamlessly. It's one of those rare songs where the verses are equally as strong as the chorus which makes for a consistently enjoyable listen from start to finish. Lyrically, I think it's probably Donna's best song too as I'm sure that most of the middle class women in the world can relate to it.

#192. Shania Twain - You're Still The One

The first and final entry from Country/Pop Queen Shania Twain is her poignant ballad, "You're Still The One".

Though the song was the third single from the massively successful Come On Over record, it was the first to be released to Pop and international markets eventually becoming the biggest hit of Twain's career in the United States and overseas. Penned by Shania and then-husband, the song was actually inspired by critics who didn't expect the union to last, some even going as far as to claim that Shania was just using Robert John to further her career. Tragically, the couple did end up not lasting after Twain's husband was found cheating on her with her best friend fourteen years after the two had wed and ten years after the recording of "You're Still The One".

I've always considered this gem to be one of the greatest love songs ever recorded and I've contemplated about using it as a first dance song at my wedding. It really makes great use of Shania's lovely tone and the lyrics are so sweet and romantic. It makes feel all mushy inside when I listen to it.
Personal Relevance: 9/10

#191. The Beatles - Hey Jude

The first of three entries from popular music's biggest and most influential act of all-time, The Beatles, is "Hey Jude".

Penned by Paul McCartney and credited to Lennon-McCartney, the song evolved from its original title, "Hey Jules", which was actually recorded for the sole purpose of comforting John Lennon's son, Jules, during the separation of his parents due to John's affair with Yoko Ono. The title was later switched from Jules to Jude as the latter was considered easier to sing. This is actually my mother's favourite song from The Beatles and as such, I was subjected to hearing it almost every day for years in its full length, four-minute long coda and all. It's a beautiful song though, very brilliantly composed and produced, and of course, very well-sung too. Like many of the other songs that are still to appear on this countdown, this is a gem that I identify my early years with though I cannot bear to listen to the seven-minute long version. I much prefer to hear the song in its edited, four-minute, Akini-friendly form.

Last edited by JSparksFan on Thu May 23, 2013 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Era » Thu May 09, 2013 4:27 am

:( I didn't expect RR to be so low , but its higher than Katys 7 week #1 song , so I'm okay ! And 10 entries from Moma Fenty ! Yay ! !

And that Bette Midler song. Just few montha ago I saw Big Business & I fell in love with her acting. So I googled her & found out that she was a Grammy winning artist. And I was like whhaaatttt ? Then I downloaded a few of her songs & luckily this was one of them. And I like it too much :D

I also love the Donna Summer song :)
Era
Legend

Postby Benny » Thu May 09, 2013 9:37 am

"Russian Roulette" is one of Rihanna's best songs and quite underrated, especially in the US. "Wind Beneath My Wings" is nice but not my favourite Bette Midler song, I prefer "From A Distance" and "The Rose". "She Works Hard For The Money" is great, "You're Still The One" a little bit cheesy and "Hey Jude" overrated IMO.
Benny
Legend

Return to Personal Charts