Bryan's Top Artists 1999-2013

Moderators: trebor, tdc2000, JSparksFan, FreakyFlyBry

Postby FreakyFlyBry » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:13 pm

Based on my personal charts from 1999-present.

The following just missed my top 100:

125. JoJo
124. Declan Galbraith
123. David Usher
122. Foo Fighters
121. Jason Mraz
120. Whitney Houston
119. Good Charlotte
118. Uncle Kracker
117. James Blunt
116. Sara Bareilles
115. Craig David
114. Marianas Trench
113. Duran Duran
112. Adele
111. Collective Soul
110. Selena Gomez
109. Demi Lovato
108. State of Shock
107. David Cook
106. Fefe Dobson
105. TLC
104. Mya
103. Dido
102. Soul Decision
101. Shaggy
FreakyFlyBry
No Title, No Topic

Postby JSparksFan » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:56 am

Ah, glad to see you decided to do this after all and so soon too! :D

I like these so far. The one(s) I love is/are in bold.

125. JoJo
121. Jason Mraz
120. Whitney Houston (travesty she isn't much higher!)
117. James Blunt
116. Sara Bareilles
112. Adele
110. Selena Gomez
109. Demi Lovato
107. David Cook
105. TLC
Akini's Top 25 Artists of 2018: [#1 Revealed!]

The broken world waits in darkness for the light that is you.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Virgostar » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:19 am

I'm expecting to see Kate Voegele pretty high up this countdown.

Out of the above artists, I do enjoy me some Foo Fighters & a bit of Jason Mraz (pre-I'm Yours...he lost it after that IMO). Sara Bareilles has a couple of nice songs too.
Let's embrace the point of no return.
Virgostar
Ex-Admin

Postby Dragon » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:21 am

FreakyFlyBry wrote:123. David Usher
some great songs.

122. Foo Fighters
yes, a good choice.

120. Whitney Houston
Whitney's a great singer, but I am afraid that after 1998, I have not heard from her a song that I'd really liked.
117. James Blunt
a little cheesy, but I like some of his songs.

115. Craig David
good artist.

113. Duran Duran
love this band. this period was already far from their peak, but still some great songs. What Happens Tomorrow - one of my favorite songs in their discography.

112. Adele
the ideal place for Adele.
good voice and some good songs, but I'm not a big fan and the hype around her little tired me out.

101. Shaggy
I love Hey Sexy Lady.
Hot Shot was a very good album, too.
Dragon
Manager

Postby Benny » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:09 am

120. Whitney Houston
117. James Blunt
116. Sara Bareilles
113. Duran Duran
112. Adele
111. Collective Soul
105. TLC
103. Dido

Whitney and Dido are my favourites so far. :P
Benny
Legend

Postby Wayne » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:30 am

Its very odd seeing Whitney amongst those artists, in most countdowns you'd expect her to be much higher!

Then again, she's been relatively inactive between 1999-2013..
Wayne
Administrator

Postby FreakyFlyBry » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:38 pm

100. Chantal Kreviazuk

Kicking off the top 100 is Canadian singer Chantal Kreviazuk! While these days she's best known for writing songs for others, such as Avril Lavigne, Gwen Stefani, Kelly Clarkson, David Cook, Carrie Underwood and Kate Voegele, she's had an impressive career as a singer as well. The first album that hit during my chart era was "Colour Moving And Still", and that, along with her next two albums, make up the output for this entry. While she has not made my chart since 2007, she still manages to remain top 100!

- Before You
- In This Life
- Time
- Wonderful
- Ghosts Of You

99. Mandy Moore

She got her start in 1999 with the single "Candy" at age 15, and was one the most popular teen-pop princesses of the late 90's and early 00's. As Mandy Moore got older, her music matured as well, and her last couple albums definitely show it - you wouldn't know it's the same singer almost! While she hasn't had an album since 2009, she's been busy acting ever since.

- I Wanna Be With You
- Crush
- Cry
- Have A Little Faith In Me
- Extraordinary

98. Switchfoot

At #98 is prolific California-based Christian rock band Switchfoot! They broke through in 2003 with their album "The Beautiful Letdown", and have kept going at it ever since! Their five most recent albums all contributed to this position, with 2010 hit "Your Love Is A Song" being my all-time favourite from them.

- Meant To Live
- Dare You To Move
- Stars
- We Are One Tonight
- Your Love Is A Song

97. Sugar Ray

Sticking with the California bands here, these guys have a catchy pop/rock feel that has carried them through an impressive career! While I did really enjoy "Fly" pre-chart era, the first song to hit on my chart, "Every Morning", was a #1 hit and one of my favourites of 1999. Their success continued for a few more years after that with their most recent chart appearance in 2009. They continue to tour, mostly with other 90's bands.

- Every Morning
- Someday
- Falls Apart
- When It's Over
- Mr. Bartender (It's So Easy)

96. Aerosmith

While the bulk of Aerosmith's career, and indeed most of their biggest hits, were released between 1973 and 1998, they still managed to rank in my top 100 artists since 1999! While "Jaded" was one of my favourite hits of 2001, their latest album, "Music From Another Dimension", really brought them back into prominence in my chart era, including a duet with Carrie Underwood, and the #1 hit "What Could Have Been Love", which is now one of my all-time favourites from them. Quite impressive for a bunch of old fogeys!

- Jaded
- Devil's Got A New Disguise
- Legendary Child
- What Could Have Been Love
- Can't Stop Lovin' You

95. Flo Rida

If you'd told me 5 years ago that Flo Rida would make my top 100 artists of my chart era, I would've said you were crazy! I really hated his debut single "Low", but ended up generally liking him starting with "Right Round". Songs like "Club Can't Handle Me" and "Wild Ones" have kept this Florida-based rapper on a hot streak, and if he continues to release catchy songs like this, he can only go up from here!

- Right Round
- Club Can't Handle Me
- Good Feeling
- Wild Ones
- Whistle

94. Ne-Yo

One of the busiest singer-songwriters in recent years, Ne-Yo has both recorded music that he sings himself and has written for artists such as Beyoncé, Rihanna, and many others. Five albums counted towards this ranking, but my favourite from him was his single from earlier this year, "Forever Now", which became his first #1 on my chart.

- So Sick
- Hate That I Love You
- Closer
- Beautiful Monster
- Forever Now

93. Pussycat Dolls

One of the biggest girl groups of the 00's has to be the Pussycat Dolls, the 6-member group turned 5-member group, led by Nicole Scherzinger. While they did not chart higher than #5 during their short chart life, their consistency and lots of memorable songs helped them rank top 100 overall. While I do like several solo Nicole songs, it just doesn't feel the same.

- Don't Cha
- Stickwitu
- Buttons
- When I Grow Up
- I Hate This Part

92. Gavin DeGraw

American singer-songwriter Gavin DeGraw got his big break when his song "I Don't Want To Be" was chosen as the theme song from the TV show "One Tree Hill". Singles from three albums contributed to his total (I didn't chart anything from "Free"), with a new album on the way, but my favourite from him is his duet with Colbie Caillat, "We Both Know", which was a huge #1 earlier this year.

- I Don't Want To Be
- Chariot
- In Love With A Girl
- We Both Know
- Best I Ever Had

91. Smash Mouth

Among the many California based rock bands in the late 90's was Smash Mouth, combining retro influences with a modern sound. They broke through with "Walkin' On The Sun" before my chart, but when "All Star" came out, it became a huge #1 hit and my second favourite of 1999. The hits continued for a few more years, including a cover of the Monkees' "I'm A Believer". Their popularity faded, but they came back last year with "Magic", which returned them to the top 10 on my chart.

- All Star
- Then The Morning Comes
- I'm A Believer
- Pacific Coast Party
- Magic
FreakyFlyBry
No Title, No Topic

Postby CrazyCrazy » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:43 pm

Smash Mouth have a real easy and fun sound, good for summer! I like All Star, Walking On The Sun and their cover of I'm a Believer are great! :D I'll check out Magic, I think I've already played it and it's on my iPod even in my #listen to later# bit! 8-) :lol:
CrazyCrazy
Legend

Postby CrazyCrazy » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:45 pm

FreakyFlyBry wrote:Based on my personal charts from 1999-present.

The following just missed my top 100:

122. Foo Fighters
120. Whitney Houston
119. Good Charlotte
118. Uncle Kracker
117. James Blunt
116. Sara Bareilles
115. Craig David
113. Duran Duran
112. Adele
105. TLC
104. Mya
103. Dido
101. Shaggy
I like a few songs from all of these! :D
CrazyCrazy
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:00 pm

Aerosmith's duet with Carrie was good. I liked that one. A handful of Flo Rida songs are palatable. I like "Wild Ones" and "Right Round". Ne-Yo's golden years for me were during The Year of the Gentleman era with songs like "Closer", "Mad", and "Miss Independent" but I like at least two singles from each of his eras. He's one of the better R&B males in the industry.

My favourite PCD song ever is "I Hate This Part" but they've recorded a number of strong singles during their time together. I always liked Gavin DeGraw's "In Love With a Girl" and you actually introduced me to "We Both Know" which I enjoy even more.

JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Wardo » Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:10 pm

Wow, really exciting countdown, considering how many years it comprehends!

From the missed, I like:
FreakyFlyBry wrote:122. Foo Fighters
121. Jason Mraz
120. Whitney Houston
117. James Blunt
116. Sara Bareilles
112. Adele
105. TLC
103. Dido
101. Shaggy
From the last update, my favourite is undoubtedly Aerosmith. The Young Lust Anthology pretty much defined my music taste in the early 00's.

Nice to see how high What Could Have Been Love were in the list, and Jaded is amazing.
Wardo
Knight of Cups

Postby Benny » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:37 pm

Great to see Ne-Yo and Smash Mouth.
Benny
Legend

Postby FreakyFlyBry » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:50 pm

90. Hedley

If there's one Canadian band who's been among the most popular in recent years in their homeland... it has to be Hedley! The band, led by Canadian Idol contestant Jacob Hoggard, have delivered many radio-friendly tunes over the years, and despite heavy overplay at times, have lined up many hits on my chart. They continue to do well, having reached the top 10 last year with "Kiss You Inside Out" and I expect that the hits will continue.

- On My Own
- Trip
- Perfect
- One Life
- Kiss You Inside Out

89. Hoobastank

Among the biggest rock acts of the 00's was Hoobastank, who achieved a streak of hits on the rock charts. They did manage some mainstream success as well, particularly for "The Reason", which was one of the biggest hits of the decade. They still continue to chart on the rock formats today despite not being as successful as they once were, with their latest album "Fight Or Flight" released last year.

- Running Away
- The Reason
- Disappear
- If I Were You
- So Close, So Far

88. Blink 182

Among the biggest of the pop-punk bands has been Blink 182, whose sense of humour gave them a streak of hits in the late 90's and early 00's. My favourite from them, "I Miss You", reached #1 on my chart in 2004. They broke up shortly afterwards, but reunited a few years later and released another album.

- What's My Age Again?
- All The Small Things
- Adam's Song
- The Rock Show
- I Miss You

87. Alyssa Reid

As a teenager, Canadian singer Alyssa Reid took the world by storm and scored several hits on my chart, including three #1's. The former winner of "The Next Star" is now 20 years old and continues to deliver the hits, as "Running Guns" recently hit #1 as well.

- If You Are
- Alone Again
- Talk Me Down
- Heartbreak Coverup
- Running Guns

86. Stef Lang

Another Canadian female singer here, Stef Lang has so far seen 2 commercially released studio albums contribute to her total, "The Underdog" and "Self". However, my personal favourite from her, "Paper Doll", was taken from the "Fighting Mirrors" EP and was my #2 song of 2012. As one of my chart's current top female stars, I feel she's got several more hits to come in the future.

- Mr. Immature
- Slave2Love
- Paper Doll
- DNA
- Rollin'

85. The Offspring

Another band whose origins are in punk is The Offspring; the legendary Southern California rock band was most dominant in the 1990's, particularly with albums such as "Smash" and "Americana". The latter gave them a #1 hit on my chart with "Pretty Fly (For A White Guy)", and they continue to record to this day, having accumulated an impressive repertoire of hits over their long career.

- Pretty Fly (For A White Guy)
- Why Don't You Get A Job?
- Original Prankster
- Kristy, Are You Doing Okay?
- Cruisin' California (Bumpin' In My Truck)

84. Cascada

German dance group Cascada has become one of the biggest names in Eurodance music since their inception; songs like "Everytime We Touch" and "Evacuate The Dancefloor" have been among my favourites, with the latter reaching #1 on my chart. They are still around and could very well add to their impressive list of hits.

- Everytime We Touch
- Evacuate The Dancefloor
- Dangerous
- Pyromania
- Summer Of Love

83. Hinder

One rock band that has really divided opinions is Hinder. Personally I feel they've had plenty of good songs with "Lips Of An Angel" being their signature song. Critics may hate them, but I liked enough songs from them to make my top 100 artists of my chart era!

- Lips Of An Angel
- Better Than Me
- Use Me
- Without You
- The Best Is Yet To Come

82. Vertical Horizon

Vertical Horizon broke through in the early 2000's with songs like "Everything You Want" and "You're A God", and while I liked those a lot, their biggest hit for me came from an unlikely comeback! The song "The Middle Ground" became my first #1 hit of the 2010's, and remains among my favourites from them to this day.

- Everything You Want
- You're A God
- I'm Still Here
- Save Me From Myself
- The Middle Ground

81. David Guetta

It's hard to find a hotter name in electronic dance music than David Guetta. The French DJ and producer has worked with many of the top names in the music business, and his albums end up becoming all star affairs. While he has yet to reach #1 on my chart, he's definitely tallied up an impressive streak of hits nonetheless!

- Sexy Bitch
- Memories
- Where Them Girls At
- Without You
- Turn Me On
FreakyFlyBry
No Title, No Topic

Postby Wayne » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:52 pm

Favourite out of that batch is either Hoobastank or Guetta!
Wayne
Administrator

Postby Benny » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:56 pm

Hoobastank and Hinder are one-hit wonders to me, I only know "The Reason" and "Lips Of An Angel". Blink 182 had a couple of great songs (in the fact the ones you listed). Regarding Vertical Horizon I'm only familiar with "Everything You Want" and "You're A God" (which are both great), have to check out their other songs. Guetta's best tune is "Titanium".
Benny
Legend

Postby CrazyCrazy » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:37 pm

Offspring & Blink 182 are good at what they do! I like quite a few from Offspring! :P
CrazyCrazy
Legend

Postby Spartan » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:49 pm

My best mate absolutely loves Vertical Horizon, I've never even heard of them. :oops:
Sad to see Duran Duran miss out, but their better stuff was earlier on in their careers.
Spartan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:40 am

I only know "The Reason" from Hoobastank but Cascada is awesome! "Evacuate The Dancefloor" is probably my favourite tune from them but "Everytime We Touch", "Because The Night", "Au Revoir", and "Glorious" are great too. "Lips of an Angel" is great but that's as far as my familiarity with Hinder goes.

"Titanium" completely changed my perspective of David Guetta. Before that masterpiece, I'd have lumped him with LMFAO as "bottom of the barrel" dance music but now I hold his productions in high esteem. "Turn Me On", "Night of Your Life", "She Wolf (Falling To Pieces)", "Commander", "Who's That Chick", "Where Them Girls At", and "Without You" are my favourite Guetta concoctions.

JSparksFan
Legend

Postby toni_pest » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:49 am

125. JoJo
120. Whitney Houston
119. Good Charlotte
117. James Blunt
115. Craig David
113. Duran Duran
112. Adele
110. Selena Gomez
109. Demi Lovato
105. TLC
103. Dido
101. Shaggy

All of these are good, my favorites being Duran Duran (!!), Good Charlotte which are great, especially their early albums and TLC.

From the main countdown I like/love Aerosmith, Flo Rida, PCD, Guetta, The Offspring, Blink-182, especially the last two, they were like the soundtrack of my teen years :D
:)
toni_pest
Coming Soon

Postby Benny » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:26 pm

Your countdown made me check out some of Gavin DeGraw's songs, and they are pretty good, especially "We Both Know" with Colbie Caillat, "Not Over You", "Chariot" and the new single "Best I Ever Had". So thanks for introducing me to his music! :D
Benny
Legend

Postby FreakyFlyBry » Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:19 am

80. Jewel

At #80 is a singer-songwriter who was among the "Lilith Fair"-type females who dominated the 1990's; this dominance was felt in the start of my chart era as the singles from "Spirit" continued to hit the charts. In the 2000's, her success wasn't as great, though she still did manage major hits from three 00's albums. She continues to record to this day, but hasn't had a huge hit on my chart since 2006 and has mostly flopped since though she still has some bright spots.

- Hands
- Down So Long
- Standing Still
- Intuition
- Again And Again

79. Sugababes

At #79 is the group that I can never keep track of who's in it at any time! One of the UK's leading female trios, these ladies mostly charted for me during their second and third line-ups from 2002 to 2008. While they never had a #1 on my chart, they still had an impressive streak of hits going.

- Hole In The Head
- Ugly
- Red Dress
- About You Now
- Change

78. The Wreckers

At #78 is the side project Michelle Branch formed with her friend Jessica Harp, The Wreckers. They released a single studio album, "Stand Still, Look Pretty" in 2006, and it didn't disappoint, despite a more country sound than Michelle's solo work; its single "Leave The Pieces" was my #1 song of 2006. Just how high is Michelle herself?

- The Good Kind
- Leave The Pieces
- My, Oh My
- Tennessee
- Cigarettes

77. Bryan Adams

While most of his hits were in the 1980's and 1990's pre-dating my chart, Canadian legend Bryan Adams has still had an impressive output since! The singles from his "On A Day Like Today" album made my chart in its early days, and he continued on with his 2004 album "Room Service". Not bad for someone whose career had peaked by the time I had a chart!

- When You're Gone
- Cloud #9
- The Best Of Me
- Inside Out
- Open Road

76. Carly Rae Jepsen

One of the biggest sensations of the past few years has to be Canada's own Carly Rae Jepsen! I must admit that her first album era didn't impress me too much, and as a result, she didn't do too well on my chart. However, when "Call Me Maybe" came out, it quickly became my favourite from her, reaching my top 5 and sticking around as it became a worldwide hit, and she's had several more top 10's since, including "This Kiss" which hit #1.

- Call Me Maybe
- Good Time
- This Kiss
- Tonight I'm Getting Over You
- Take A Picture

75. Delta Goodrem

Australian singer Delta Goodrem has had much success in her homeland and on my chart too, she's had several big hits. Since her debut a little over a decade ago, she's had many hits, including a #1, "In This Life", in 2007. She came back last year and picked up as if she was never away.

- Lost Without You
- Out Of The Blue
- A Little Too Late
- In This Life
- Sitting On Top Of The World

74. Creed

In the late 90's and early 00's, pop and rock fans could not escape the songs of Creed. The first of their albums to hit my chart era ("My Own Prison" was pre-chart) was "Human Clay" which included two major hits; the "Weathered" album carried on the success. While they broke up and reunited for a comeback album, it failed to achieve the same heights as their previous work.

- Higher
- With Arms Wide Open
- My Sacrifice
- One Last Breath
- Rain

73. Faber Drive

Canadian band Faber Drive has had several hits in their homeland, in varying styles from pop/rock to a more dance-oriented sound. I think they were generally best at the start of their career, with "When I'm With You" topping my chart in 2008, though they do continue to reach my chart fairly regularly.

- Tongue Tied
- When I'm With You
- G-Get Up And Dance!
- You And I Tonight
- Life Is Waiting

72. Mary J. Blige

One of the leading ladies in R&B music has been Mary J. Blige. The veteran singer has had several urban and pop smash hits, and while I enjoy her 90's music, I feel she got even better in the 2000's. Songs like "Family Affair" and "Be Without You" were multi-format smashes that hit big on my chart, and she's continued to hit my chart regularly to this day.

- Family Affair
- No More Drama
- Be Without You
- Just Fine
- I Am

71. Robbie Williams

While I did enjoy Robbie Williams in Take That, I felt he really hit his strides as a solo artist. One of the UK's most successful stars of all time, he's also had an impressive output on my chart with "Millennium" hitting #1 and having several other top 10's. While I do think his quality has started to slip, he still can do decent music from time to time.

- Millennium
- Angels
- Rock DJ
- Supreme
- Feel
FreakyFlyBry
No Title, No Topic

Postby Benny » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:54 am

Jewel had some nice songs from 1999 onwards though her strongest time was the "Pieces Of You" era in 1996/97.
Sugababes have some catchy tunes as well, the most underrated of which is "Denial".
Bryan Adams only impressed me with "Cloud #9" in the past 15 years.
Delta Goodrem is one of the most talented female singers of the past 10 years. The singles from "Innocent Eyes" were all flawless. "In This Life" and "Wish You Were Here" are also great.
Benny
Legend

Postby CrazyCrazy » Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:09 pm

I like Mary J the most from that batch, authentic talent. :D
CrazyCrazy
Legend

Postby Spartan » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:46 pm

I can't fault Delta, she's amazing.
Robbie is also one of my personal favourites.
Spartan
Legend

Postby toni_pest » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:47 pm

How come Delta used to be so ugly but now she's hot? :lol: like few of her songs.
Sugababes and Bryan Adams are among my all-time favorites, both have some amazing tunes. About You Now and Summer of '69. are my favorites. Mary J. and Robbie are also great! :D
:)
toni_pest
Coming Soon

Return to Personal Charts