Spartan's All-Time Top 500 (FINISHED AT LAST)

Moderators: tdc2000, FreakyFlyBry

Postby toni_pest » Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:07 pm

Take On Me and Total Eclipse are among my all time favorites too! I can't stand any of the ABBA singles anymore tbh, all so overplayed. And I never actually heard Heroes :oops: who needs bowies music when you have lady gaga :)
:)
toni_pest
Coming Soon

Postby Nippian93 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:09 pm

Total Eclipse Of The Heart is a masterpiece, definitely deserves its position.
❤Whitney Houston
Nippian93
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Sat Feb 20, 2016 4:15 am

Super Trouper: 9/10 - The background harmony on the chorus is divine! For some reason, I don't play this one often, but it is certainly exceptional!

Not Me, Not I: 9/10 - This is typical gorgeous piano music from Delta. I stumbled upon it a few months ago, and I adored it immediately.

Seasons of Love: 9/10 - Surprise entry here! The vocals from the original version are just insane. It's rare that the Glee Cast cover a song and fail to outdo the original acts, but the Cast of Rent were a tough act to follow.

New York State of Mind: 8/10 - The song starts off brilliantly, then tails off a bit into boring territory somewhere in the middle. It ends well, though. Overall, it's a strong track. I've heard so many versions of this one over the years, I figure I must have heard the original too at some point.

It's All Coming Back to Me Now: 10/10 - Céline owns this song. Her passion is so tangible. This is the brilliance you get when you pair a phenomenal vocalist with a phenomenal ballad. As you'll recall, it ranked among my all-time Top 20 faves as well.

Bohemian Rhapsody: 10/10 - You often praise Girls Aloud for having songs with unstructured arrangements, where it's like multiple songs melded into one, but this song is probably the most 'melded' song of all-time, and it works brilliantly. I feel like you could film three different movies with this song, what with all the key and tempo changes.

Torn: 9.5/10 - I discovered this song through Happy Endings (a pretty funny sitcom). It's really epic. I love the juxtaposition of light, frothy melody with the lyrics of despair. It's Mika's don't-fix-what's-not-broken formula.

Homeward Bound: 7.5/10 - I'm not as enamoured with this as I am with "Bridge over Troubled Water", but my mother's a pretty big fan so this is a familiar one. I like it!

Unwritten: 9/10 - Definitely Natasha's biggest classic, and my introduction to her! To be honest, I can't listen to it and not remember the Pantene shampoo commerical in which it was used. :lol: I love the positive vibe of the song, though, and that gospel choir climax is terrific.

Glory Days: 6/10 - The message is certainly relatable, but the production and vocals aren't really my cup of tea.

Spartan wrote:I will finish this before the end of this year.
I feel like you've been promising this since 2013. :lol:
"You think your pain and your heartbreak are unprecedented in the history of the world, but then you read." - James Baldwin
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JimJim » Sat Feb 20, 2016 4:44 am

So I've only just discovered this thread now and wanted to let you know I thoroughly enjoyed reading through your countdown. I never knew you had such multi-generational taste, with snippets from each decade getting their turn, it's wonderful. We have quite compatible music taste, although to be honest, I've never really delved into the works of Streisand, Simon & Garfunkel or The Beatles the way you have.

I know everything is different from a country-to-country perspective, but some of your comments got me:
- John Farnham a one-hit wonder?!
- 'Heroes' is the quintessential David Bowie song I'd say, I think it's the one most people know
- 'Always' not being one of Bon Jovi's most well known 90s song? I think it's their signature song of the 90s and by far one of their most popular tracks in Australia
JimJim
Elusive Chanteuse

Postby NothingFails » Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:53 am

toni_pest wrote: And I never actually heard Heroes :oops: who needs bowies music when you have lady gaga :)
I know you're joking, but they are soooooooooo polar opposite outside of the image thing. Gaga has very little in common with Bowie musically. By that argument who needs MJ when we have Meghan Trainor :D.
NothingFails
Legend

Postby Spartan » Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:09 pm

Benny wrote:"Mamma Mia" is fantastic, ABBA pop at its best.
"Take on Me" is great but overplayed by radio.
I knew you'd like it, and you've still got one ABBA song left! :o

Phoenixx wrote:These are both such classics! Expecially Take On Me!
Thanks!

NothingFails wrote:
Spartan wrote:I've got the long version of TEOFH, but I didn't realise Heroes had a long one - I'll check it out.
The "I, I wish I could swim" part that opens up the single version was actually the third verse. The single version I guess is fine for compact listening, but I feel like it lacks some of the emotional buildup that the 6 minute long album version had.

Another two great songs.

Mamma Mia is pop perfection, you can't not get happy when you hear it come on. I do like some of their latter stuff more but you can't deny how perfect a pop song it is.

Take On Me is also a masterpiece that you can't talk about without also bringing up the legendary video that still holds up as one of the greatest ever made. Sadly this is all America seems to know a-ha for which is kind of a shame since they have so many other great songs, but at least we did get this one right by making it #1.
I listened to it. I liked the long version but I think I've just become so accustomed to the radio version that the extra verse did nothing amazingly special for me.

Yeah I only know one other a-ha song too, I'm sure they have more decent stuff though.

toni_pest wrote:Take On Me and Total Eclipse are among my all time favorites too! I can't stand any of the ABBA singles anymore tbh, all so overplayed. And I never actually heard Heroes :oops: who needs bowies music when you have lady gaga :)
:lol: GaGa is the new Bowie.
Aw you can never have too much ABBA.

Nippian93 wrote:Total Eclipse Of The Heart is a masterpiece, definitely deserves its position.
Thanks

JSparksFan wrote:I feel like you've been promising this since 2013. :lol:
I'm full of false promises like "I'll finish the countdown soon" or "I can take it without lube".

A good batch for you aside from Bruce. I was so gutted that you discovered Torn before my countdown, that will teach me fro taking so long.

JimJim wrote:So I've only just discovered this thread now and wanted to let you know I thoroughly enjoyed reading through your countdown. I never knew you had such multi-generational taste, with snippets from each decade getting their turn, it's wonderful. We have quite compatible music taste, although to be honest, I've never really delved into the works of Streisand, Simon & Garfunkel or The Beatles the way you have.

I know everything is different from a country-to-country perspective, but some of your comments got me:
- John Farnham a one-hit wonder?!
- 'Heroes' is the quintessential David Bowie song I'd say, I think it's the one most people know
- 'Always' not being one of Bon Jovi's most well known 90s song? I think it's their signature song of the 90s and by far one of their most popular tracks in Australia
I do have a wonderful taste so thanks for reaffirming that. :wink:
If I only know one of his songs, that makes him a one-hit wonder.
I thought the quinteseential Bowie song was Space Oddity but I suppose it depends where you've grown up.

Thanks for coming in though. :D
Spartan
Legend

Postby Spartan » Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:10 pm

Soaring in at #4 is my highest charting broadway song 'Defying Gravity'. It's the second of two entries from teh musical 'Wicked', as well as being Kristin Chenoweth's fourth appearance on my chart (following Maybe This Time, For Good, Home) and Idina Menzel's third appearance (following For Good, Seasons Of Love). The song serves as the closing number of the first act. As a live performer, Idina Menzel can be very hit-and-miss but this song showcases her raw talent very well. Even though it's technically a duet, the song is pretty much 95% Elphaba singing. The range of emotions displayed in the song is brilliant and Idina's gravelly tones lend themselves very well to the song. It builds up and reaches brilliant climax with a killer final note. I've seen Wicked in the West End six times now, and I know it's not manly but this song genuinely bring me to tears in the theatre.
Coming in bronze position and trouncing all the other Girls Aloud amazingness is, rather unsurprisingly for those who know me, Biology. It's Girls Aloud's eighth and final entry. I loved this song from the moment I first heard it, and the fact that its brilliance kicks in straight away is even better. This song is basically what defines the band for me: strange yet brilliant structure, strong vocals, catchy hook, odd lyrics. The fact that this song does sound like four separately amazing songs rolled into one is one of its best qualities. This song deserved to have been #1 for at least 52 weeks. I could bang on for hours about its brilliance.
Spartan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:11 pm

Alone: 9/10 - The song itself is one of my favourite ballads of all-time, but as I've probably mentioned to you already, the 10/10 version for me is Carrie Underwood's cover on Idol.

In My Life: 7.5/10 - I believe this is the first time I'm listening to the song, and it's nice!

Heroes: 6.5/10 - From what I've seen around the site, this does seem to be one of his most popular songs. It's okay, but doesn't have anything on "Space Oddity" or "Life on Mars" (which has grown heaps on me).

Total Eclipse of the Heart: 10/10 - 80s power ballads are so rampant in your Top 20; I love it! This one is really flawless, and lends itself to so many fantastic interpretations. Bonnie's original is tough to be beat, though.

Mamma Mia: 9/10 - This is one of the first ABBA songs I ever heard, so there are a lot of fond memories associated with this one. "Dancing Queen" has assumed the place of go-to uptempo ABBA anthem for me, which is probably why I don't play "Mamma Mia" much.

Take on Me: 8.5/10 - This is such a classic, and it's aged remarkably well.

Defying Gravity: 8/10 - As the Glee Cast cover was my first acquaintance with the song, I have an obvious bias towards that version. However, the note that Idina hits in the climax to this is just...wicked. :wink:

Biology: 9/10 - First off, I'm shocked that this isn't #1! Secondly, I'll never forget how persuasive your write-up for this was in your decade-end countdown. Never before have I ever read someone describe a song as "crotch-throbbing". :lol: "Untouchable" has settled into place as my favourite Girls Aloud song, but this definitely has a place in my Top 7.

Spartan wrote:I'm full of false promises like "I'll finish the countdown soon" or "I can take it without lube".

A good batch for you aside from Bruce. I was so gutted that you discovered Torn before my countdown, that will teach me fro taking so long.
DEAD!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

You have spoilt me with the quality of most of my discoveries here, though. :wink:
"You think your pain and your heartbreak are unprecedented in the history of the world, but then you read." - James Baldwin
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Benny » Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:40 pm

I'm not really familiar with numbers 4 & 3, I vaguely remember the former from "Glee" and never heard the latter! :o :oops:

So the top 2 are TYFTM and ...?
Benny
Legend

Postby Benny » Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:17 pm

Will we get the top 2 any time soon? :D
Benny
Legend

Postby Spartan » Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:14 pm

Well this is it. The moment you've all been on the very edge of your seats for the last three years.

My runner-up song of all-time, and the seventh and final entry for Duran Duran is Hungry Like The Wolf. Everything about this song is brilliant. I only discovered it about 8 years ago, and it made me really fall in love with Duran Duran as a band. Since then I've acquainted myself with all of Duran Duran's discography and have bought physical copies of all their albums. This song is lifted from their best one 'Rio'. This song is such a spectacular pop song, it has some brilliant instrumental usages with its guitar riffs. The lyrics and theme is brilliant and oddly quirky. The lead vocals are strong and round out an awesome song.
And here's my #1, probably not too surprising for those who know me. And with ten songs on my chart, it's not that shocking to see one of ABBA's songs reach the top spot, here is their tenth and final entry. In all honesty, I kept changing my mind between the top two every time. The only thing that sets Thank You For The Music apart is that I have a deeper emotional connection to this song. That aside, the lyrics are brilliant ABBA lyrics and make for a meaningful song. I can cry quite easily listening to the song, it's such a great bookending song to ABBA's career. The vocals are the best that I've ever heard on an ABBA song, and the composition is beautiful. I can't recall when I first heard this song but I've grown up with it and it still sounds as fresh today as it did when I was a kid.
Thanks for everyone who followed this chart, especially Akini who took his time out to listen to every song on here (much appreciated). We got there (eventually). If I redid it, I'm sure the Top 500 would be vastly different to 3 years ago when I compiled this list. :D
Spartan
Legend

Postby Spartan » Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:36 pm

500 PINK GET THE PARTY STARTED
499 QUEEN WHO WANTS TO LIVE FOREVER
498 RIHANNA BREAKIN' DISHES
497 AVRIL LAVIGNE MY HAPPY ENDING
496 THE DOORS HELLO, I LOVE YOU
495 MADONNA DON'T CRY FOR ME ARGENTINA
494 ROBBIE WILLIAMS FEEL
493 NANCY SINATRA THESE BOOTS ARE MADE FOR WALKIN'
492 BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN BORN IN THE USA
491 NATASHA BEDINGFIELD PIRATE BONES

490 GUNS N ROSES KNOCKIN' ON HEAVEN'S DOOR
489 KATIE MELUA THE FLOOD
488 FRANKI VALLI MY EYES ADORED YOU
487 PHIXX JUDGEMENT DAY
486 ELTON JOHN HELLO HELLO
485 JACKSON 5 ABC
484 GLEE CAST MAYBE THIS TIME [feat. KRISTIN CHENOWETH]
483 JERRY LEE LEWIS GREAT BALLS OF FIRE
482 SAM SPARRO BLACK AND GOLD
481 THE BEATLES WITH A LITTLE HELP FROM MY FRIENDS

480 SUGABABES TOO LOST IN YOU
479 THE KILLERS FLESH AND BONE
478 STEVIE WONDER ISN'T SHE LOVELY
477 NATASHA BEDINGFIELD I BRUISE EASILY
476 THE CARPENTERS PLEASE MR POSTMAN
475 RED HOT CHILLI PEPPERS BY THE WAY
474 RAMIN KARIMLOO COMING HOME
473 S CLUB 7 DON'T STOP MOVIN'
472 FLEETWOOD MAC THE CHAIN
471 JENNIFER LOPEZ GET RIGHT

470 LOUIS ARMSTRONG WE HAVE ALL THE TIME IN THE WORLD
469 JORDIN SPARKS NO AIR [feat. CHRIS BROWN]
468 MICHAEL JACKSON BAD
467 LILY ALLEN LDN
466 SIMON AND GARFUNKEL MRS ROBINSON
465 STEPS DEEPER SHADE OF BLUE
464 TINA TURNER THE BEST
463 SUGABABES CAUGHT IN A MOMENT
462 LAURA BRANIGAN SELF CONTROL
461 KATIE MELUA CLOSEST THING TO CRAZY

460 REO SPEEDWAGON CAN'T FIGHT THIS FEELING
459 DIONNE WARWICK I SAY A LITTLE PRAYER
458 DELTA GOODREM IN THIS LIFE
457 BARBRA STREISAND AND NEIL DIAMOND YOU DON'T BRING ME FLOWERS
456 HOWIE DAY COLLIDE
455 ROBBIE WILLIAMS SHE'S THE ONE
454 THE MONKEES I'M A BELIEVER
453 TAKE THAT THE FLOOD
452 THE KILLERS SOMEBODY TOLD ME
451 B.J. THOMAS RAINDROPS KEEP FALLIN' ON MY HEAD

450 RACHEL STEVENS SOME GIRLS
449 SHIRLEY BASSEY MOONRAKER
448 JAMES MORRISON WONDERFUL WORLD
447 BOB MARLEY & THE WAILERS ONE LOVE/PEOPLE GET READY
446 ESTELLE AMERCIAN BOY [feat. KANYE WEST]
445 NAT KING COLE L-O-V-E
444 KELLY CLARKSON BECAUSE OF YOU
443 DUSTY SPRINGFIELD WISHIN' AND HOPIN'
442 STEVIE WONDER UPTIGHT
441 BIG BROVAZ BABY BOY
440 MADONNA HOLIDAY

439 MATTHEW MORRISON MONA LISA AND MAD HATTERS / ROCKET MAN [feat. ELTON JOHN]
438 THE SATURDAYS KEEP HER
437 BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN DANCING IN THE DARK
436 BLUE BREATHE EASY
435 DEAN MARTIN SWAY
434 RICKY MARTIN LIVIN' LA VIDA LOCA
433 NICKELBACK HOW YOU REMIND ME
432 DOLLY PARTON 9 TO 5
431 DANIEL BEDINGFIELD NEVER GONNA LEAVE YOUR SIDE

430 DIONNE WARWICK MR KISS KISS BANG
429 LEMAR IF THERE'S ANY JUSTICE
428 JOAN JETT & THE BLACKHEARTS DO YOU WANNA TOUCH ME (OH YEAH)
427 ROBIN THICKE WHEN I GET YOU ALONE
426 JOHN BARROWMAN FEELING GOOD
425 BILLY JOEL UPTOWN GIRL
424 LIFEHOUSE YOU AND ME
423 KYLIE MINOGUE I SHOULD BE SO LUCKY
422 RICK SPRINGFIELD JESSIE'S GIRL
421 BILLY RAY & MILEY CRYUS BUTTERFLY FLY AWAY

420 BUDDY GRECO AROUND THE WORLD
419 ADELE SOMEONE LIKE YOU
418 KELLY ROWLAND STOLE
417 QUEEN FAT BOTTOMED GIRLS
416 GLEE CAST AT THE BALLET [feat. SARAH JESSICA PARKER]
415 MADONNA MATERIAL GIRL
414 KINGS OF LEON USE SOMEBODY
413 RIHANNA MAN DOWN
412 ABBA DANCING QUEEN
411 ATOMIC KITTEN THE TIDE IS HIGH (GET THE FEELING)

410 PAUL MCCARTNEY AND WINGS SILLY LOVE SONGS
409 THE ALL-AMERICAN REJECTS IT ENDS TONIGHT
408 ELECTRIC LIGHT ORCHESTRA MR BLUE SKY
407 FERGIE BIG GIRLS DON'T CRY
406 FLEETWOOD MAC DON'T STOP
405 THE KILLERS A DUSTLAND FAIRYTALE
404 BRYAN ADAMS HEAVEN
403 MICHAEL BUBLE HOME
402 SHIRLEY BASSEY GOLDFINGER
401 MARK RONSON VALERIE [feat. AMY WINEHOUSE]

400 SHANIA TWAIN THAT DON'T IMPRESS ME MUCH
399 RONAN KEATING LIFE IS A ROLLERCOSTER
398 STEVIE WONDER SIGNED SEALED DELIVERED I'M YOURS
397 RANDY NEWMAN YOU'VE GOT A FRIEND IN ME
396 THE ALL-AMERICAN REJECTS DIRTY LITTLE SECRET
395 FRANK SINATRA FLY ME TO THE MOON
394 KEANE EVERYBODY'S CHANGING
393 LADY GAGA BAD ROMANCE
392 QUEEN RADIO GAGA
391 DANNII MINOGUE VS FLOWER POWER YOU WON'T FORGET ABOUT ME
390 TYLER JAMES FOOLISH

389 LULU THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN GUN
388 S CLUB 7 NEVER HAD A DREAM COME TRUE
387 POISONEVERY ROSE HAS ITS THORN
386 HILARY DUFF JERICHO
385 PINK FEEL GOOD TIME
384 DURAN DURAN NEW MOON ON MONDAY
383 DELTA GOODREM THE ANALYST
382 KOOL + THE GANG GET DOWN ON IT
381 GLEE CAST RUMOUR HAS IT / SOMEONE LIKE YOU
380 PAUL MCCARTNEY & WINGS LIVE AND LET DIE

379 OWL CITY ALLIGATOR SKY
378 SIMPLE PLAN I'M JUST A KID
377 DORIS DAY PERHAPS PERHAPS PERHAPS
376 CHRISTINA AGUILERA CANDYMAN
375 THE POINTER SISTERS I'M SO EXCITED
374 EDWIN MCCAIN I'LL BE
373 V CAN YOU FEEL IT
372 FUN. WE ARE YOUNG [feat. JANELLE MONAE]
371 CYNDI LAUPER TRUE COLORS

370 NATASHA BEDINGFIELD STRIP ME
369 MADONNA LIKE A PRAYER
368 GIRLS ALOUD LIFE GOT COLD
367 GROUPLOVE TONGUE TIED
366 JAMES BROWN IT'S A MAN'S MAN'S MAN'S WORLD
365 COLDPLAY VIOLET HILL
364 THE PUSSYCAT DOLLS I HATE THIS PART
363 THE BEATLES HEY JUDE
362 DEAN MARTIN EVERYBODY LOVES SOMEBODY
361 BLUE FLY BY II

360 KT TUNSTALL SUDDENLY I SEE
359 JOURNEY ANY WAY YOU WANT IT
358 GIRLS ALOUD SEXY! NO NO NO
357 DOLLY PARTON JOLENE
356 JUSTIN TIMBERLAKE SEXYBACK
355 ROSS COPPERMAN ALL SHE WROTE
354 THE B-52S LOVE SHACK
353 KYLIE MINOGUE WOW
352 THE BEATLES ELEANOR RIGBY
351 LEONA LEWIS BLEEDING LOVE

350 NELLY FURTADO MANEATER
349 RIHANNA TAKE A BOW
348 JDAVID BOWIE SPACE ODDITY
347 JAMELIA BEWARE OF THE DOG
346 THE KILLERS SMILE LIKE YOU MEAN IT
345 JULIE ANDREWS MY FAVOURITE THINGS
344 MIKA GRACE KELLY
343 THE FOUR SEASONS DECEMBERM, 1963 (OH, WHAT A NIGHT)
342 HILARY & HAYLIE DUFF OUR LIPS ARE SEALED
341 STARLAND VOCAL BAND AFTERNOON DELIGHT

340 DUFFY WARWICK AVENUE
339 THE KILLERS MR BRIGHTSIDE
338 THE SATURDAYS ISSUES
337 CHAKA KHAN AIN'T NOBODY
336 ALESHA DIXON THE BOY DOES NOTHING
335 IMOGEN HEAP HIDE AND SEEK
334 KELLY CLARKSON BEHIND THESE HAZEL EYES
333 THE ALL-AMERICAN REJECTS GIVES YOU HELL
332 THE POLICE DON'T STAND SO CLOSE TO ME
331 3OH!3 DON'T TRUST ME

330 VANESSA WILLIAMS SAVE THE BEST FOR LAST
329 SHAYNE WARD NO PROMISES
328 SHERYL CROW ALL I WANNA DO
327 MAROON 5 HARDER TO BREATHE
326 GENE WILDER PURE IMAGINATION
325 KYLIE MINOGUE I BELIEVE IN YOU
324 BEYONCE HALO
323 MURRAY GOLD ALL THE STRANGE STRANGE CREATURES
322 RADIOHEAD CREEP
321 ATOMIC KITTEN WHOLE AGAIN

320 BARBRA STREISAND EVERGREEN
319 JOHN WILLIAMS HEDWIG'S THEME
318 JAMELIA SEE IT IN A BOY'S EYES
317 BILLY JOEL ONLY THE GOOD DIE YOUNG
316 DANIEL BEDINGFIELD WRAP MY WORDS AROUND YOU
315 THE BEATLES LADY MADONNA
314 SUGABABES FOLLOW ME HOME
313 SHERYL CROW TOMORROW NEVER DIES
312 JOHN BARROWMAN WHAT ABOUT US
311 FRANK SINATRA LUCK BE A LADY

310 LILY ALLEN ALFIE
309 REM LOSING MY RELIGION
308 MICHAEL BUBLE HAVEN'T MET YOU YET
307 ALICIA KEYS EMPIRE STATE OF MIND (PART II) BROKEN DOWN
306 NEW RADICALS YOU GET WHAT YOU GIVE
305 JIMMY EAT WORLD HEAR YOU ME
304 KIM WILDE KIDS IN AMERICA
303 GIRLS ALOUD NO GOOD ADVICE
302 BARRY MANILOW I MADE IT THROUGH THE RAIN
301 THE PROCLAIMERS I'M GONNA BE (500 MILES)

300 DELTA GOODREM BELIEVE AGAIN
299 DAFT PUNK ONE MORE TIME
298 NO DOUBT DON'T SPEAK
297 THE BEATLES SGT. PEPPER'S LONELY HEARTS CLUB BAND
296 LIBERTY X HOLDING ON FOR YOU
295 DURAN DURAN A VIEW TO A KILL
294 STEPS 5,6,7,8
293 DANIEL POWTER BAD DAY
292 BON JOVI LIVIN' ON A PRAYER
291 JON MCLAUGHLIN SO CLOSE

290 HILARY DUFF NOW YOU KNOW
289 U2 CITY OF BLINDING LIGHTS
288 PHIL COLLINS AGAINST ALL ODDS (TAKE A LOOK AT ME NOW)
287 MCFLY TRANSYLVANIA
286 ELTON JOHN ROCKET MAN
285 DARIUS COLOURBLIND
284 THE BEATLES HELLO GOODBYE
283 DANIEL MERRIWEATHER RED
282 JOHN WILLIAMS 'JURASSIC PARK' THEME
281 GIRLS ALOUD MEMORY OF YOU

280 THE POLICE EVERY LITTLE THING SHE DOES IS MAGIC
279 NYLON LOSING A FRIEND
278 SARAH MCLACHLAN ANGEL
277 FLEETWOOD MAC DREAMS
276 MAROON 5 THIS LOVE
275 THE JACKSON 5 I'LL BE THERE
274 BARRY MANILOW MANDY
273 ROBBIE WILLIAMS COME UNDONE
272 GOO GOO DOLLS SYMPATHY
271 TIFFANY I THINK WE'RE ALONE NOW

270 SOPHIE ELLIS-BEXTOR MURDER ON THE DANCE FLOOR
269 CHARLENE I'VE NEVER BEEN TO ME
268 RED HOT CHILLI PEPPERS CAN'T STOP
267 KEANE SOMEWHERE ONLY WE KNOW
266 FRANK SINATRA THE WAY YOU LOOK TONIGHT
265 KELLY CLARKSON BREAKAWAY
264 THE BEATLES WHEN I'M SIXTY-FOUR
263 DELTA GOODREM INNOCENT EYES
262 CELINE DION TAKING CHANCES
261 AVENUE Q THERE'S A FINE FINE LINE

260 BUSTED YEAR 3000
259 LOUIS ARMSTRONG WHEN YOU'RE SMILING
258 KATIE MELUA MARY PICKFORD (USED TO EAT ROSES)
257 DEPECHE MODE JUST CAN'T GET ENOUGH
256 PHANTOM PLANET CALIFORNIA
255 ABBA FERNANDO
254 SAM & MARK MEASURE OF A MAN
253 ELAINE PAIGE MEMORY
252 DARIUS KIND ALOVE
251 THE SATURDAYS HIGHER

250 ELTON JOHN I'M STILL STANDING
249 JOHN BARROWMAN THE KID INSIDE
248 ERIC CARMEN ALL BY MYSELF
247 DURAN DURAN GIRLS ON FILM
246 AVRIL LAVIGNE I'M WITH YOU
245 CYNDI LAUPER GIRLS JUST WANT TO HAVE FUN
244 KYLIE MINOGUE CAN'T GET YOU OUT OF MY HEAD
243 DELTA GOODREM TOGETHER WE ARE ONE
242 BARBRA STREISAND ON A CLEAR DAY YOU CAN SEE FOREVER
241 RACHEL STEVENS I SAID NEVER AGAIN (BUT HERE WE ARE)

240 ABBA VOULEZ-VOUS
239 AMY WINEHOUSE BACK TO BLACK
238 SAVAGE GARDEN TRULY MADLY DEEPLY
237 HILARY DUFF FLY
236 GLORIA GAYNOR I WILL SURVIVE
235 GLEE CAST DON'T RAIN ON MY PARADE
234 ELTON JOHN YOUR SONG
233 NATASHA BEDINGFIELD SOULMATE
232 ROBBIE WILLIAMS ANGELS
231 EUROPE THE FINAL COUNTDOWN

230 JAMES MORRISON & NELLY FURTADO BROKEN STRINGS
229 THE BEATLES LET IT BE
228 BILLY JOEL SHE'S ALWAYS A WOMAN
227 TAKE THAT BACK FOR GOOD
226 SIMON WEBBE NO WORRIES
225 HOLLY VALANCE KISS KISS
224 KYLIE MINOGUE SPINNING AROUND
223 DELTA GOODREM I CAN'T BREAK IT TO MY HEART
222 U2 WITH OR WITHOUT YOU
221 LOUIS ARMSTRONG WONDERFUL WORLD

220 THE WHO PINBALL WIZARD
219 RIHANNA UNFAITHUL
218 DIANA ROSS CHAIN REACTION
217 NANCY SINATRA BANG BANG
216 BLUE IF YOU COME BACK
215 KEVIN RUDOLF LET IT ROCK
214 DIANA ROSS AIN'T NO MOUNTAIN HIGH ENOUGH
213 JUSTIN TIMBERLAKE WHAT GOES AROUND ... / ... COMES BACK AROUND
212 ABBA THE WINNER TAKES IT ALL
211 THE 411 ON MY KNEES [feat. GHOSTFACE KILLAH]

210 SOFT CELL TAINTED LOVE
209 SIMPLE MINDS DON'T YOU FORGET ABOUT ME
208 BRITNEY SPEARS TOXIC
207 SUGABABES RED DRESS
206 TAKE THAT THE GARDEN
205 LULU SHOUT
204 DURAN DURAN ORDINARY WORLD
203 TOTO AFRICA
202 HILARY DUFF WHAT DREAMS ARE MADE OF
201 WHITNEY HOUSTON I WILL ALWAYS LOVE YOU

200 BARBRA STREISAND AS IF WE NEVER SAID GOODBYE
199 COLDPLAY THE SCIENTIST
198 BRAD KANE & LEA SALONGA A WHOLE NEW WORLD
197 ANASTACIA LEFT OUTSIDE ALONE
196 KEITH URBAN YOU'LL THINK OF ME
195 BARRY MANILOW WEEKEND IN NEW ENGLAND
194 MIS-TEEQ SCANDALOUS
193 S CLUB DISCOTEK
192 MICHAEL ANDREWS MAD WORLD [feat. GARY JULES]
191 KENNY LOGGINS DANGER ZONE

190 MATT MONRO FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE
189 KYLIE MINOGUE ON A NIGHT LIKE THIS
188 RIHANNA UMBRELLA [feat. JAY-Z]
187 FRANK & NANCY SINATRA SOMETHIN' STUPID
186 STEPS TRAGEDY
185 JAMIE CULLUM NOT WHILE I'M AROUND
184 SUM 41 IN TOO DEEP
183 CELINE DION BECAUSE YOU LOVED ME
182 SHANIA TWAIN MAN! I FEEL LIKE A WOMAN
181 DELTA GOODREM ELECTRIC STORM

180 MARK OWN FOUR MINUTE WARNING
179 TIM MCGRAW PLEASE REMEMBER ME
178 THE SUPREMES STOP! IN THE NAME OF LOVE
177 QUEEN SOMEBODY TO LOVE
176 JAMELIA THANK YOU
175 PHIXX LOVE REVOLUTION
174 WHITNEY HOUSTON SAVING ALL MY LOVE FOR YOU
173 BERLIN TAKE MY BREATH AWAY
172 ELTON JOHN CIRCLE OF LIFE
171 TAKE THAT PATIENCE

170 DOLLY PARTON I WILL ALWAYS LOVE YOU
169 V HIP TO HIP
168 FRANK SINATRA MY WAY
167 CHRISTOPHER CROSS ARTHUR'S THEME (BEST THAT YOU CAN DO)
166 GREEN DAY TIME OF YOUR LIFE (GOOD RIDDANCE)
165 NATASHA BEDINGFIELD WILD HORSES
164 MURRAY HEAD ONE NIGHT IN BANGKOK
163 FIVE KEEP ON MOVIN'
162 BILL JOEL WE DIDN'T START THE FIRE
161 GLEE CAST I FEEL PRETTY / UNPRETTY

160 MEAT LOAF PARADISE BY THE DASHBOARD LIGHT
159 DURAN DURAN THE WILD BOYS
158 'WICKED' CAST FOR GOOD
157 RICKY MARTIN SHE BANGS
156 R.E.M EVERYBODY HURTS
155 RACHEL STEVENS SWEET DREAMS MY L.A. EX
154 IKE & TINA TURNER RIVER DEEP MOUNTAIN HIGH
153 DUSTY SPRINGFIELD YOU DON'T HAVE TO SAY YOU LOVE ME
152 DELTA GOODREM BORN TO TRY
151 REMY ZERO SAVE ME

150 COLDPLAY SPEED OF SOUND
149 CARLY SIMON NOBODY DOES IT BETTER
148 BETTE MIDLER FROM A DISTANCE
147 ADELE HOMETOWN GLORY
146 V YOU STOOD UP
145 S CLUB 8 SUNDOWN
144 PETER, PAUL & MARY LEAVING ON A JET PLANE
143 DIRE STRAITS ROMEO AND JULIET
142 FRANK SINATRA NEW YORK NEW YORK
141 MUSE KNIGHTS OF CYDONIA

140 THE CLASH SHOULD I STAY OR SHOULD I GO
139 COLDPLAY FIX YOU
138 MEN AT WORK DOWN UNDER
137 BRYAN ADAMS EVERYTHING I DO (I DO IT FOR YOU)
136 AMY ADAMS THAT'S HOW YOU KNOW
135 THE FOUR LADS ISTANBUL (NOT CONSTANTINOPLE)
134 BRANDON FLOWERS CROSSFIRE
133 SPICE GIRLS SPICE UP YOUR LIFE
132 CHICAGO IF YOU LEAVE ME NOW
131 ROBBIE WILLIAMS ROCK DJ

130 THE SATURDAYS EGO
129 THE CURE THE LOVE CATS
128 NAT KING COLE SMILE
127 DANIEL BEDINGFIELD IF YOU'RE NOT THE ONE
126 OASIS WONDERWALL
125 THE FRAY HOW TO SAVE A LIFE
124 THE 411 DUMB
123 MADONNA RAY OF LIGHT
122 BLUE SORRY SEEMS TO BE THE HARDEST WORD [feat. ELTON JOHN]
121 FRANKI VALLI CAN'T TAKE MY EYES OFF YOU

120 BEYONCE SMASH INTO YOU
119 U2 ONE
118 NATASHA BEDINGFIELD POCKETFUL OF SUNSHINE
117 WHITNEY HOUSTON I WANNA DANCE WITH SOMEBODY
116 MILEY CYRUS SEE YOU AGAIN
115 BECK LOSER
114 ABBA S.O.S
113 SUGABABES ABOUT YOU NOW
112 THE KILLERS NEON TIGER
111 BARBRA STREISAND DON'T RAIN ON MY PARADE

110 JUSTIN TIMBERLAKE CRY ME A RIVER
109 THE HUMAN LEAGUE DON'T YOU WANT ME
108 GLEE CAST HOME [feat. KRISTIN CHENOWETH]
107 NANCY SINATRA YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE
106 DANIEL BEDINGFIELD THE WAY
105 SPICE GIRLS WANNABE
104 EWAN MCGREGOR & NICOLE KIDMAN COME WHAT MAY
103 BARBRA STREISAND ONE LESS BELL TO ANSWER / A HOUSE IS NOT A HOME
102 THE SUPREMES YOU KEEP ME HANGIN' ON
101 FLEETWOOD MAC LANDSLIDE

100 GREEN DAY BOULEVARD OF BROKEN DREAMS
099 PAUL SIMON FATHER AND DAUGHTER
098 BONNIE TYLER HOLDING OUT FOR A HERO
097 KATIE MELUA NINE MILLION BICYCLES
096 JUDY GARLAND OVER THE RAINBOW
095 DELTA GOODREM MISTAKEN IDENTITY
094 QUEEN WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS
093 GIRLS ALOUD SWINGING LONDON TOWN
092 ROGUE TRADERS VOODOO CHILD
091 FRANK SINATRA COME FLY WITH ME

090 DORIS DAY QUE SERA SERA
089 OLIVIA NEWTON-JOHN PHYSICAL
088 THE CARPENTERS RAINY DAYS AND MONDAYS
087 NATASHA BEDINGFIELD THESE WORDS
086 BELINDA CARLISLE HEAVEN IS A PLACE ON EARTH
085 MAROON 5 SHE WILL BE LOVED
084 OWL CITY FIREFLIES
083 BON JOVI ALWAYS
082 RAMIN KARIMLOO CATHEDRALS
081 WHAM WAKE ME UP BEFORE YOU GO-GO

080 BETTE MIDLER WIND BENEATH MY WINGS
079 DIANA ROSS IF WE HOLD ON TOGETHER
078 DIDO WHITE FLAG
077 EMILY OSMENT MARISOL
076 COLDPLAY PARADISE
075 QUEEN ANOTHER ONE BITES THE DUST
074 SIMON AND GARFUNKEL BRIDGE OVER TROUBLED WATER
073 TEARS FOR FEARS EVERYBODY WANTS TO RULE THE WORLD
072 CAROLE KING JAZZMAN
071 COLDPLAY VIVA LA VIDA

070 FLEETWOOD MAC NEVER GOING BACK AGAIN
069 CYNDI LAUPER TIME AFTER TIME
068 RICHARD MARX RIGHT HERE WAITIN'
067 BARRY MANILOW COPACABANA
066 CARLY SIMON YOU'RE SO VAIN
065 THE SATURDAYS UP
064 THE CARPENTERS (THEY LONG TO BE) CLOSE TO YOU
063 BARBRA DICKSON AND ELAINE PAIGE I KNOW HIM SO WELL
062 VAN HALEN JUMP
061 JOHN LENNON IMAGINE

060 BARBRA STREISAND THE WAY WE WERE
059 STING FIELDS OF GOLD
058 JONI MITCHELL BOTH SIDES NOW
057 ABBA I HAVE A DREAM
056 SNOW PATROL CHASING CARS
055 LULU TO SIR WITH LOVE
054 BOB SEGER WE'VE GOT TONITE
053 DAVID BOWIE LIFE ON MARS
052 BARBRA STREISAND SEND IN THE CLOWNS
051 MICHAEL JACKSON SMOOTH CRIMINAL

050 TAKE THAT RULE THE WORLD
049 BLONDIE ONE WAY OR ANOTHER
048 GLEE CAST TRUE COLORS
047 THE EURYTHMICS SWEET DREAMS (ARE MADE OF THIS)
046 GIRLS ALOUD CALL THE SHOTS
045VANESSA WILLIAMS COLORS OF THE WIND
044JOAN OSBORNE ONE OF US
043 JOHNNY MATHIS WONDERFUL WONDERFUL
042 MADONNA VOGUE
041 NEIL DIAMOND SWEET CAROLINE

040 GIRLS ALOUD UNTOUCHABLE
039 BLONDIE HEART OF GLASS
038 CROWDED HOUSE DON'T DREAM IT'S OVER
037 ELTON JOHN CAN YOU FEEL THE LOVE TONIGHT
036 HIALRY DUFF COME CLEAN
035 AEROSMITH DREAM ON
034 LINKIN PARK IN THE END
033 ART GARFUNKEL BRIGHT EYES
032BILLY JOEL PIANO MAN
031WHITNEY HOUSTON I HAVE NOTHING

030 BARBRA STREISAND WOMAN IN LOVE
029 DURAN DURAN RIO
028 ROXETTE IT MUST HAVE BEEN LOVE
027 ABBA TAKE A CHANCE ON ME
026 BETTE MIDLER THE ROSE
025 THE KILLERS HUMAN
024 JOHN FARNHAM YOU'RE THE VOICE
023MEN WITHOUT HATS TEH SAFETY DANCE
022 SHIRLEY BASSEY DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER
021 IKE AND TINA TURNER PROUD MARY

020 ABBA SUPER TROUPER
019 DELTA GOODREM NOT ME, NOT I
018 CAST OF 'RENT' SEASONS OF LOVE
017 BILLY JOEL NEW YORK STATE OF MIND
016 CELINE DION IT'S ALL COMING BACK TO ME NOW
015 QUEEN BOHEMINA RHAPSODY
014 NATALIE IMBRUGLIA TORN
013 SIMON AND GARFUNKEL HOMEWARD BOUND
012 NATASH BEDINGFIELD UNWRITTEN
011 BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN GLORY DAYS

010 HEART ALONE
009 THE BEATLES IN MY LIFE
008 DAVID BOWIE HEROES
007 BONNIE TYLER TOTAL ECLIPSE OF THE HEART
006 ABBA MAMMA MIA
005 A-HA TAKE ON ME
004 IDINA MENZEL & KRISTIN CHENOWETH DEFYING GRAVITY
003 GIRLS ALOUD BIOLOGY
002 DURAN DURAN HUNGRY LIKE THE WOLF
001 ABBA THANK YOU FOR THE MUSIC
Spartan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:42 pm

Hungry Like the Wolf: 9/10 - I'm not a Duran Duran fan, but I've loved this song since hearing it on American Idol six or seven years ago. It really is very catchy, and the instrumentation is terrific, as you pointed out. It makes for a great #2.

Thank You for the Music: 10/10 - YES!!! I know I heard this sometime as a kid, but full credit to Benny for re-introducing this to me in his ABBA countdown a few years back. It's since become my favourite ABBA song, and easily one of my favourite songs of all-time. It's the quintessential ABBA track: with simple yet deeply powerful and emotional lyrics, beautiful vocals, and a timeless instrumental.

Spartan wrote:Thanks for everyone who followed this chart, especially Akini who took his time out to listen to every song on here (much appreciated).
It was my pleasure! The discoveries here were first-class! Thank you for the music, Pete. <3
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Benny » Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:49 am

Fantastic number one that puts an end to a great countdown which I enjoyed a lot! :D
Benny
Legend

Postby Nippian93 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:54 am

Nice list.
❤Whitney Houston
Nippian93
Legend

Postby LinaLit » Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:09 am

Amazing # 1 !!! Even if not my favourite ABBA song, but obviously in top 5. :wink:
From your top 10 I also love A-ha, Bonnie Tyler and Heart.
Don't know this Beatles song. :oops:
Hello, my name is Lina. 32 years old. Half Lithuanian / half Russian lady, which like old charts, Cliff, Elvis, Engelbert and 90s pop boybands.
LinaLit
Personal Assistant

Postby Nippian93 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:39 am

Great to see 4 Whitney classics, once again great list.
❤Whitney Houston
Nippian93
Legend

Postby Tansike » Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:52 am

Amazing #1! :)
Tansike
Legend

Return to Personal Charts