Spartan's All-Time Top 500 (FINISHED AT LAST)

Moderators: tdc2000, FreakyFlyBry

Postby stevyy » Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:26 pm

Billy Joel's is divine. love it. what a legendary song.
stevyy
Legend

Postby Spartan » Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:58 pm

Benny wrote:Don't know neither number 18 nor number 17, will check out the latter. :wink:
I think you may be able to appreciate the former too. I think the song works outside of the context of the musical.

stevyy wrote:Billy Joel's is divine. love it. what a legendary song.
Preach.
Spartan
Legend

Postby NothingFails » Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:25 am

Proud Mary is amazing. I like the CCR version too but Tina basically takes you to church with her version. Easily the highlight of her days with Ike, even though I preferred her as a solo artist since that's the way I grew to know her (same with Cher)
NothingFails
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:00 pm

Never Going Back Again: 5/10 - I sometimes love simple songs, but usually the lyrics are able to elevate it to another level for me. This one is totally unmemorable, in my opinion.

Time After Time: 9.5/10 - Oh, the nostalgia! :cry: Lovely song! This is probably my favourite Cyndi song as well.

Right Here Waiting: 8/10 - Oh, I didn't know the singer, but I'm familiar with this song. I remember it from commercials featuring those compilation CDs that were popular in the early 2000s. Great song!

Copacabana: 7.5/10 - Catchy little tune! I enjoyed it.

You're So Vain: 9/10 - Timeless classic! I first recall hearing it sung by an American Idol contestant, then of course Janet built her "Son of a Gun (I Betcha Think This Song Is About You)" around it too.

Up: 8.5/10 - Wow, this is pretty catchy, but why do I feel like I'm hearing this only for the first time? The chorus is really memorable, which I can always appreciate.

(They Long to Be) Close to You: 6.5/10 - I'd never heard this one before now. It's good, but I prefer "Solitaire", and "Rainy Days and Mondays".

I Know Him So Well: 9/10 - I'm always here for grand vocals. This one was great! Very downloadable. :lol:

Jump: 6/10 - The Glee Cast did a far better job with this.

Imagine: 8.5/10 - It took me a really long time to appreciate this because of the simplicity of the song's production, and even the lyrics didn't seem all that amazing to me, whereas so many people made them out to be some revolutionary piece of genius. My mother loves it, and I think I've reached a point where I like it a lot too.
"You think your pain and your heartbreak are unprecedented in the history of the world, but then you read." - James Baldwin
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby CrazyCrazy » Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:02 pm

Not me thinking the link goes to an audio. :lol: Billy is growing on me so much, used to hate him. :lol:
CrazyCrazy
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:53 pm

The Way We Were: 8/10 - Her voice does sound incredible on this, but I don't consider this one of her very best songs. I still enjoy it, though.

Fields of Gold: 7/10 - I like this, but it doesn't wow me.

Both Sides Now: 6.5/10 - I didn't connect with this song, but Joni's voice is nice.

I Have a Dream: 9.5/10 - Well, that was strange. I'd heard this song before and wrote it off as one of their weaker ones, but after listening to it just now, I can now say it's absolutely beautiful! I'm definitely adding it to my playlist.

Chasing Cars: 7/10 - I don't even remember how I first heard this. It must have been on the radio one day. Anyway, it's nice, but I prefer Snow Patrol songs more when Leona sings them. :lol:

To Sir, with Love: 9/10 - My mother absolutely loves the movie from which this song is taken, so I grew up hearing this quite a lot. I actually love the movie too - I've seen it like ten times - and I guess that augments my love for this. The chorus is a bona fide classic.

We've Got Tonite: 8/10 - I love songs that are builders, so this one's right up my alley. I enjoyed it.

Life on Mars: 8.5/10 - I was so ready to write some snarky comment making an unfavourable comparison to "Space Oddity", but this one was surprisingly nice. I enjoyed it. It might even be a grower so I'll probably download it and give it a few more spins.

Send in the Clowns: 6.5/10 - Ugh, this lady's catalogue is so voluminous! I'll never get through the whole thing. You're correct in saying that this is pretty understated, and I typically don't like understated. This was listenable, but she has so many better songs.

Smooth Criminal: 10/10 - Ugh, this song is definitely the best of the batch! I love the urgency of the production, and that chorus is divine! It's such a memorable track. As impressive as his dancing in the video is, I don't really like the clip that much, but the song is a winner. The Glee Cast did a respectable attempt of this, but I've yet to hear a cover that rivals the original.
"You think your pain and your heartbreak are unprecedented in the history of the world, but then you read." - James Baldwin
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Spartan » Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:41 pm

NothingFails wrote:Proud Mary is amazing. I like the CCR version too but Tina basically takes you to church with her version.
My sentiments exactly.

CrazyCrazy wrote:Not me thinking the link goes to an audio. :lol: Billy is growing on me so much, used to hate him. :lol:
:lol: :lol: Not you discovering my Photobucket.

JSparksFan wrote:Up: 8.5/10 - Wow, this is pretty catchy, but why do I feel like I'm hearing this only for the first time? The chorus is really memorable, which I can always appreciate.

I Know Him So Well: 9/10 - I'm always here for grand vocals. This one was great! Very downloadable. :lol:

I Have a Dream: 9.5/10 - Well, that was strange. I'd heard this song before and wrote it off as one of their weaker ones, but after listening to it just now, I can now say it's absolutely beautiful! I'm definitely adding it to my playlist.

We've Got Tonite: 8/10 - I love songs that are builders, so this one's right up my alley. I enjoyed it.

Life on Mars: 8.5/10 - I was so ready to write some snarky comment making an unfavourable comparison to "Space Oddity", but this one was surprisingly nice. I enjoyed it. It might even be a grower so I'll probably download it and give it a few more spins.
I'm pretty sure I've recommended Up to you before, so you may have heard it before.
I'm glad you checked out the others as well and am pleased you like the aforementioned ones, especially Life On Mars.
Spartan
Legend

Postby Spartan » Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:42 pm

Inside the confines of the Top 20, Celine Dion manages to be the only "diva" to have entered the top heights of my chart with her third and final entry. Obviously there are other female acts still to come, but none as big as Celine. The song she peaks with is the almighty "It's All Coming Back To Me Now". Penned by Jim Steinman (famous for his work with Meatloaf), the 6 minute song is essentially an epic journey that I'd rank high above the overrated My Heart Will Go On and other Celine numbers. I prefer this song because it's a bit heavier than her usual, whimsical fanfare. I think she displays true passion and fierceness in her vocals, which is necessary given how grand and epic this song is.
Speaking of grand and epic songs, possibly the most epic song at all time charts at #15 with Queen's seventh and final entry being "Bohemian Rhapsody". I genuinely believe that, worldwide, this song is the best of all time. Yes, that's a very bold statement to make, but I believe it to be true. The fact that one man can write such a lyrically ingenious song is outstanding. Do I understand the lyrical meaning? No. Do I care? No. Then you've got the music itself, with the song containing one of the best guitar solos I've ever heard in the breakdown. Combine all that with their incredible vocals and put it into a six minute-long song and the result is one of the most revered songs of all time.
Spartan
Legend

Postby Benny » Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:56 pm

Wow, two of the most epic songs ever in the last batch! Both are great though I find "Bohemian Rhapsody" a tad overrated.
Benny
Legend

Postby CrazyCrazy » Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:26 pm

Bohemian Rhapsody is not overrated at all, it's a great song it's as simple as that. That is one Celine's best tracks too. :D
CrazyCrazy
Legend

Postby NothingFails » Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:43 pm

It's All Coming Back To Me is easily my fave Celine track, so epic.

Bohemian Rhapsody of course is classic too but admittedly I haven't had desire to listen to Queen for some time
NothingFails
Legend

Postby navi » Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:23 pm

NothingFails wrote:Bohemian Rhapsody of course is classic too but admittedly I haven't had desire to listen to Queen for some time
Grandiose song on the verge of pomposity
(and the edge is so thin)
My year(s) in lists by Ivan (2008 - 2013)
navi
Superstar

Postby Spartan » Fri Nov 27, 2015 5:17 pm

Nestled inside the Top 15 is another former Neighbours star with Natalie Imbruglia's Torn being her only entry on my chart. Even though she has had a bit more longevity as an artist, it is essentially only this song that people really associate with Natalie Imbruglia. Unlike other ex-Neighborus star Kylie, Torn had much more international success, even doing well in the US. The song itself is very mellow and radio-friendly, which is by no means a bad thing. It's an extremely catchy pop song and has found itself atop many 'best pop songs of all-time' lists.
Simon and Garfunkel find their final of three entries as a duo landing at #13, and their fourth entry apiece. Though it's not one of their most revered songs, it's my favourite by far. I think the reason why I like this so much is because I can associate with it reasonably well. Their vocals are as lovely and fluid as ever, paired with a great instrumental leads to a classic track for me.
Spartan
Legend

Postby CrazyCrazy » Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:09 pm

Two great tracks there, naturally I love S&G. :D
CrazyCrazy
Legend

Postby Benny » Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:20 am

"Torn" is good but overplayed.
"Homeward Bound" is okay.
Benny
Legend

Postby RalphyS » Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:50 am

Queen's 'Bohemian rhapsody" will be my all-time nr. 1 forever, admittedly it may be a bit overplayed through the years, but if you really listen to it every time, it has everything, rock, ballad, emotion, solo's, the perfect mix.

Billy Joel, 6 times in your list I read, I just bought tickets for his one and only concert in Germany next year and I'm finally going to see him live. I've been a fan since I saw his concert registration of his Leningrad's shows in the late 80's, my favourite of his probably is 'Only the good die young', but I love so many of his songs!

Celine is a guilty pleasure of mine, especially songs like 'It's all coming back to me now' & 'Think twice'!
RalphyS
Personal Assistant

Postby NothingFails » Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:49 am

Torn's a classic

Nice but somewhat unexpected entry this high for S&G. A really nice song and while it isn't my fave of theirs, it is interesting to see someone's fave song be something besides the more predictable choices like The Sounds Of Silence and Bridge Over Troubled Water.
NothingFails
Legend

Postby Tansike » Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:10 pm

"Torn", "It's All Coming Back To Me Now" and "Bohemian Rhapsody" are all great/classics, so definitely deserved Top20 positions. :)
Tansike
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Sun Dec 06, 2015 1:53 am

I will catch up to this before 2016!

Rule the World: 7.5/10 - There's a background, echo-like vocal in the chorus that makes this song better than average. I really like to listen to it for that part alone.

One Way or Another: 8/10 - Huge classic! I first heard it in a commercial growing up and liked it since then. The 1D cover is pretty underrated, I think.

True Colours: 8.5/10 - Wow, I never realized just how much Tina's voice shined on this. It's definitely better than the original.

Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This): 7/10 - I never realized those were Annie's vocals. :o Interesting. Honestly, I've never really cared that much about this song, and a big reason for that is that Britney interpolated the chorus on her song "Everybody", which I like more than the original song. I can appreciate this, though.

Call the Shots: 8.5/10 - I didn't like this when you introduced it to me a few years back, but it's a huge grower. The way Nadine sings, Just 'cause you're raising the bet just gets me every time. That's the highlight for me. Your favourite bit is pretty cool too.

Colours of the Wind: 9/10 - This song definitely fits Vanessa's voice to a T. The chorus is stellar, but my favourite part has always been the first verse. I remember really wanting to include the song some way in my environmental geography presentation in class, but couldn't due to time restrictions. I think I was able to stitch in a few lyrics in one of my papers, though! :lol:

One of Us: 6.5/10 - Hmm...I don't like this song that much for some reason. It's almost too simple for my taste.

Wonderful, Wonderful: 7.5/10 - Aw, this is a cute song!

Vogue: 9.5/10 - I never thought much of this as a song, and figured people only liked it because of the dance move it popularized, but in the last year or so, I've really done a complete 180, and it's one of my favourite Madge songs now.

Sweet Caroline: 9/10 - The Big Bang Theory had such a hilarious scene involving this song! :lol: Anyway, this song is amazing. I don't even live in the US, but I consume so much American media that I can safely say this song is overexposed, but I don't mind that much.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby CrazyCrazy » Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:01 am

JSparksFan wrote:Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This): 7/10 - I never realized those were Annie's vocals. :o Interesting. Honestly, I've never really cared that much about this song, and a big reason for that is that Britney interpolated the chorus on her song "Everybody", which I like more than the original song. I can appreciate this, though.
Whose vocals did you think they were then? :-? :lol: The last part of that sentence is blasphemous.
CrazyCrazy
Legend

Postby Spartan » Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:12 pm

CrazyCrazy wrote:Two great tracks there, naturally I love S&G. :D
:lol: I would never have guessed. :P

Benny wrote:"Torn" is good but overplayed.
"Homeward Bound" is okay.
I wasn't around when it was originally out of radio but I can imagine it being overplayed, it's that good.

RalphyS wrote:Queen's 'Bohemian rhapsody" will be my all-time nr. 1 forever, admittedly it may be a bit overplayed through the years, but if you really listen to it every time, it has everything, rock, ballad, emotion, solo's, the perfect mix.

Billy Joel, 6 times in your list I read, I just bought tickets for his one and only concert in Germany next year and I'm finally going to see him live. I've been a fan since I saw his concert registration of his Leningrad's shows in the late 80's, my favourite of his probably is 'Only the good die young', but I love so many of his songs!

Celine is a guilty pleasure of mine, especially songs like 'It's all coming back to me now' & 'Think twice'!
Thanks for commenting, Only The Good Die Young charted at #317 on my chart. Fantastic song.

NothingFails wrote:Torn's a classic

Nice but somewhat unexpected entry this high for S&G. A really nice song and while it isn't my fave of theirs, it is interesting to see someone's fave song be something besides the more predictable choices like The Sounds Of Silence and Bridge Over Troubled Water.
I hate conforming with society. :lol: Nah, I do love those other two songs. Unfortunately I only discovered Sound Of Silence after this countdown.

Tansike wrote:"Torn", "It's All Coming Back To Me Now" and "Bohemian Rhapsody" are all great/classics, so definitely deserved Top20 positions. :)
Glad to see you agree with me.

JSparksFan wrote:I will catch up to this before 2016!

Rule the World: 7.5/10 - There's a background, echo-like vocal in the chorus that makes this song better than average. I really like to listen to it for that part alone.

One Way or Another: 8/10 - Huge classic! I first heard it in a commercial growing up and liked it since then. The 1D cover is pretty underrated, I think.

True Colours: 8.5/10 - Wow, I never realized just how much Tina's voice shined on this. It's definitely better than the original.

Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This): 7/10 - I never realized those were Annie's vocals. :o Interesting. Honestly, I've never really cared that much about this song, and a big reason for that is that Britney interpolated the chorus on her song "Everybody", which I like more than the original song. I can appreciate this, though.

Call the Shots: 8.5/10 - I didn't like this when you introduced it to me a few years back, but it's a huge grower. The way Nadine sings, Just 'cause you're raising the bet just gets me every time. That's the highlight for me. Your favourite bit is pretty cool too.

Colours of the Wind: 9/10 - This song definitely fits Vanessa's voice to a T. The chorus is stellar, but my favourite part has always been the first verse. I remember really wanting to include the song some way in my environmental geography presentation in class, but couldn't due to time restrictions. I think I was able to stitch in a few lyrics in one of my papers, though! :lol:

One of Us: 6.5/10 - Hmm...I don't like this song that much for some reason. It's almost too simple for my taste.

Wonderful, Wonderful: 7.5/10 - Aw, this is a cute song!

Vogue: 9.5/10 - I never thought much of this as a song, and figured people only liked it because of the dance move it popularized, but in the last year or so, I've really done a complete 180, and it's one of my favourite Madge songs now.

Sweet Caroline: 9/10 - The Big Bang Theory had such a hilarious scene involving this song! :lol: Anyway, this song is amazing. I don't even live in the US, but I consume so much American media that I can safely say this song is overexposed, but I don't mind that much.
More importantly I need to finish this countdown before 2016. :lol: :lol: I'm guessing you recognised Wonderful Wonderful from the Desperate Housewives finale?
Spartan
Legend

Postby Spartan » Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:13 pm

Natasha Bedingfield finds her eighth and final entry on my countdown just missing out on the Top 10. Sharing the same title as her debut album "Unwritten" was one of her biggest hit singles. Commercially, this single was massive - being used in loads of TV shows and adverts - and garnered a lot of radio airtime. Deservedly so, as this song is incredible. It'a pretty climatic song. It starts out as quite a soft ballad and builds into a bigger song with back-up choral vocals toward the end. Natasha delivers a great vocal and it results in a catchy 21st century classic song.
Bruce Springsteen's third and final entry on my chart is "Glory Days". He has the biggest gap between two songs on my chart with his second highest charting at #457. By far my favourite Springsteen song, even though it's got an upbeat instrumental, the actual message behind the song is quite sad and resonates with me personally very well. Ultimately it's about looking back on your "glory days" of school/university and essentially how much simpler life was back then, which I think a lot of people can relate to.
Spartan
Legend

Postby Erotica » Sun Dec 06, 2015 1:18 pm

Love these from the positions 100 to 51

100 GREEN DAY BOULEVARD OF BROKEN DREAMS
098 BONNIE TYLER HOLDING OUT FOR A HERO
089 OLIVIA NEWTON-JOHN PHYSICAL
087 NATASHA BEDINGFIELD THESE WORDS
086 BELINDA CARLISLE HEAVEN IS A PLACE ON EARTH
085 MAROON 5 SHE WILL BE LOVED
083 BON JOVI ALWAYS
075 QUEEN ANOTHER ONE BITES THE DUST
069 CYNDI LAUPER TIME AFTER TIME
068 RICHARD MARX RIGHT HERE WAITIN'
067 BARRY MANILOW COPACABANA
059 STING FIELDS OF GOLD
051 MICHAEL JACKSON SMOOTH CRIMINAL
I am not trying to seduce you... Would you like me to seduce you? Is that what you're trying to tell me?
Erotica
Legend

Postby Colbie » Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:19 pm

Jeej Springsteen! ;-) Unwritten is a classic! ;-)
Mic Mic Bungee
Colbie
Superstar

Postby Benny » Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:24 pm

"Unwritten" is great, Natasha's best song. "Glory Days" is okay but there are other Springsteen song that I prefer.
Benny
Legend

Return to Personal Charts