Spartan's All-Time Top 500 (FINISHED AT LAST)

Moderators: tdc2000, FreakyFlyBry

Postby NothingFails » Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:13 pm

Unwritten was a great pop gem

Glory Days isn't one of my fave Bruce songs, but its one that I've grown to appreciate more as I've gotten older with the perspective and age Bruce was singing from the context of on it. He's coming here in Feb, I wanna go since he's one of those artists you have to see live when you get the chance
NothingFails
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:11 am

Untouchable: 10/10 - We disagree on which version is the best - I personally prefer the radio edit - but we're definitely in accord in believing this is one of the best pop songs ever. Nadine's bit is brilliant. Sometimes I play the song simply to hear that Beautiful robots dancing alone bit. It's magical.

Heart of Glass: 4/10 - I don't like this one.

Don't Dream It's Over: 7/10 - The chorus is beautiful, but the rest of the song doesn't do much for me.

Can You Feel the Love Tonight: 9/10 - This is one of Elton's signature songs. Everything about it just screams classic. The melody is divine, the lyrics are solid, and Elton's vocals are great (though I agree with you this is not the finest representation of his voice). The kings and vagabonds lyric >>>

Come Clean: 6/10 - This is definitely one of the better Hilary songs I've heard, but I'm not crazy about it.

Dream On: 7.5/10 - Great vocals indeed, and this song is definitely more memorable than "I Don't Want to Miss a Thing"; however, and I know this will probably sound ludicrous, I prefer the Glee Cast cover.

In the End: 8/10 - Everyone seems to love this one, but Linkin Park have better songs in my opinion: "New Divide", "What I've Done", and "Numb" to name a few. However, this is definitely a great one too. I just don't think it's aged as well as the aforementioned ones.

Bright Eyes: 5/10 - This skirted dangerously close to the monotony cliff for most of the way through and it fell off towards the end.

Piano Man: 9/10 - This is a wonderful song! It was through one of Wardo's games, I believe, that I discovered it. I'm not even into this type of music generally, which is a testament to how good (and universally appealing) this is.

I Have Nothing: 10/10 - Next to "Respect", this is the biggest diva anthem of all-time, in my opinion. I agree that it's more vocally demanding than "I Will Always Love You" - the latter just has that one massive, climactic burst, whereas there are 'surges' in the former during the pre-chorus and the chorus, and of course the big Don't make me close one door moment. Anyway, I love this song enormously, and even after the thousands of covers that've been sung, none quite compare to Whitney's interpretation.

CrazyCrazy wrote:Whose vocals did you think they were then? :-? :lol: The last part of that sentence is blasphemous.
I honestly never thought about whose voice it was, but if I had to hazard a guess, Annie Lennox would've been way down the list.

Spartan wrote:More importantly I need to finish this countdown before 2016. :lol: :lol: I'm guessing you recognised Wonderful Wonderful from the Desperate Housewives finale?
I read your "Wonderful Wonderful" write-up where you mentioned that and thought, "Hmm...I don't remember that." I'll probably re-watch the series finale sometime during the holidays because it's unacceptable that I don't recall that detail.
"You think your pain and your heartbreak are unprecedented in the history of the world, but then you read." - James Baldwin
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby CrazyCrazy » Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:18 pm

I thought everyone knew Annie was in the Eurythmics, well she IS them pretty much. :o :lol:
CrazyCrazy
Legend

Postby Tansike » Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:04 pm

"Unwritten" is a pop masterpiece. I love its position, even if i would rank it that high.
Tansike
Legend

Postby Spartan » Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:11 pm

NothingFails wrote:Unwritten was a great pop gem

Glory Days isn't one of my fave Bruce songs, but its one that I've grown to appreciate more as I've gotten older with the perspective and age Bruce was singing from the context of on it. He's coming here in Feb, I wanna go since he's one of those artists you have to see live when you get the chance
Defo go if you get the chance.

JSparksFan wrote:Untouchable: 10/10 - We disagree on which version is the best - I personally prefer the radio edit - but we're definitely in accord in believing this is one of the best pop songs ever. Nadine's bit is brilliant. Sometimes I play the song simply to hear that Beautiful robots dancing alone bit. It's magical.

Heart of Glass: 4/10 - I don't like this one.

Don't Dream It's Over: 7/10 - The chorus is beautiful, but the rest of the song doesn't do much for me.

Can You Feel the Love Tonight: 9/10 - This is one of Elton's signature songs. Everything about it just screams classic. The melody is divine, the lyrics are solid, and Elton's vocals are great (though I agree with you this is not the finest representation of his voice). The kings and vagabonds lyric >>>

Come Clean: 6/10 - This is definitely one of the better Hilary songs I've heard, but I'm not crazy about it.

Dream On: 7.5/10 - Great vocals indeed, and this song is definitely more memorable than "I Don't Want to Miss a Thing"; however, and I know this will probably sound ludicrous, I prefer the Glee Cast cover.

In the End: 8/10 - Everyone seems to love this one, but Linkin Park have better songs in my opinion: "New Divide", "What I've Done", and "Numb" to name a few. However, this is definitely a great one too. I just don't think it's aged as well as the aforementioned ones.

Bright Eyes: 5/10 - This skirted dangerously close to the monotony cliff for most of the way through and it fell off towards the end.

Piano Man: 9/10 - This is a wonderful song! It was through one of Wardo's games, I believe, that I discovered it. I'm not even into this type of music generally, which is a testament to how good (and universally appealing) this is.

I Have Nothing: 10/10 - Next to "Respect", this is the biggest diva anthem of all-time, in my opinion. I agree that it's more vocally demanding than "I Will Always Love You" - the latter just has that one massive, climactic burst, whereas there are 'surges' in the former during the pre-chorus and the chorus, and of course the big Don't make me close one door moment. Anyway, I love this song enormously, and even after the thousands of covers that've been sung, none quite compare to Whitney's interpretation.
If you were a British kid growing up in the 90s, I think you'd probably appreciate Bright Eyes much more.
Glad to see you enjoyed some of the songs in that selection (admittedly they were ones you already knew :p).

CrazyCrazy wrote:I thought everyone knew Annie was in the Eurythmics, well she IS them pretty much. :o :lol:
I didn't know until about 5 years ago to be fair.

Tansike wrote:"Unwritten" is a pop masterpiece. I love its position, even if i would rank it that high.
Thanks!!
Spartan
Legend

Postby Spartan » Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:12 pm

Kicking off the Top 10 in style is Heart with their most famous hit 'Alone', my only entry for them on my chart. One of the most well-known power ballads from the 80s, it's starts of with a fairly soft piano beginning before kicking into a more heavily-led chorus. The vocals and harmonies are very strong on this song, and adds to the richness of it. The moment the song really wind me over is when the chorus kicks in and it has the sudden transgression from the soft verse into the heavy chorus.
With their last song charting at #229, The Beatles find themselves with their highest of nine entries charting at #9. It's a bit of a bizarre one to be honest. If you ask most people what their favourite Beatles song is, I highly doubt any of them would really say In My Life. It was one of the last Beatles singles that I actually heard but ultimately it ended up being my favourite one. The song is one my list of songs I want at my funeral as well. I'm not sure what Lennon wrote the song about it, but I find it quite sad and reflective which is a good thing (to quote Sally Sparrow: "sad is happy for deep people"). It's got a settling melody and th elyrics are very meaningful toe me, hence why it's the best charting Beatles song here.
Spartan
Legend

Postby toni_pest » Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:15 pm

AAAAAAALOOOOOOOONEEEEEEEEEEEE such a classic. don't know that Beatles song
:)
toni_pest
Coming Soon

Postby Benny » Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:42 pm

"Alone" is absolutely amazing.
I have to check out that Beatles song, not sure I know it.
Benny
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Sun Dec 20, 2015 5:12 pm

Woman in Love: 10/10 - Barbra's voice sounds so beautiful on this song. I definitely agree it's not the most vocally taxing song she's done, but I contend that her voice has never sounded more gorgeous than it does on this classic.

Rio: 5.5/10 - This wasn't completely terrible, but it didn't do much for me.

It Must Have Been Love: 10/10 - This song does to me what Adele's music does to the general public; it punches me smack dab in the middle of my feels. It's painfully relatable. I love it.

Take a Chance on Me: 7/10 - I prefer the verses to the chorus, which can get a bit annoying towards the latter end of the song. It's an enjoyable song still.

The Rose: 8/10 - This is pretty cheesy, but I liked it.

Human: 8/10 - I feel like I've heard the hook before. Hmm...I wonder if it was used in one of the million TV shows I've seen. Anyway, this is much better than the average Killers track.

You're the Voice: 6/10 - This song didn't connect with me, but John does have a good voice.

The Safety Dance: 3/10 - No me gusta.

Diamonds Are Forever: 9/10 - The best Bond theme song. 8-)

Proud Mary: 10/10 - I'm pleasantly surprised to see this one so high. For good reason, this is Tina's signature song. She sings it with so much soul and passion. I love how she gives us a slowed down version, then mixes it up with an awesome uptempo part. This is one of those songs a single artist just owns; no can sing this song like Tina. I always find myself dancing embarrassingly when this comes on. :lol:
"You think your pain and your heartbreak are unprecedented in the history of the world, but then you read." - James Baldwin
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Kirill » Mon Dec 21, 2015 6:56 am

Wow, amazing presentation, first of all.
I need to check your list, pretty sure it's amazing. I'll be back :lol:
Kirill
Manager

Postby Kirill » Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:54 pm

Ok. Don’t know where to start. Your chart is slaying me. You have an amazing taste in music (as if I didn't know) with some great variety. :wink:
Code: Select all
JUST MISSED LIST
ANASTACIA I'm Outta Love
BILLIE PIPER Day And Night
BRITNEY SPEARS Womanizer
COLDPLAY Yellow
EMINEM Lose Yourself
SINEAD O'CONNOR Nothing Compares 2 U
TLC Unpretty
USHER Yeah
ATOMIC KITTEN Eternal Flame
BEYONCE Sweet Dreams
LEANN RIMES Can't Fight The Moonlight
MADONNA Frozen
ROBERTA FLACK The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face
THE 411 Teardrops
TONI BRAXTON Un-break My Heart

All of these are deserves to be in top-500, tbh! But I do understand that it’s impossible to include everyone! :P
500 - 401
P!NK GET THE PARTY STARTED
RIHANNA BREAKIN' DISHES
AVRIL LAVIGNE MY HAPPY ENDING
MADONNA DON'T CRY FOR ME ARGENTINA
ROBBIE WILLIAMS FEEL
NATASHA BEDINGFIELD PIRATE BONES
SAM SPARRO BLACK AND GOLD
SUGABABES TOO LOST IN YOU
NATASHA BEDINGFIELD I BRUISE EASILY
RED HOT CHILLI PEPPERS BY THE WAY
S CLUB 7 DON'T STOP MOVIN'
JENNIFER LOPEZ GET RIGHT
MICHAEL JACKSON BAD
LILY ALLEN LDN
TINA TURNER THE BEST
SUGABABES CAUGHT IN A MOMENT
ROBBIE WILLIAMS SHE'S THE ONE
ESTELLE AMERICAN BOY [feat. KANYE WEST]
KELLY CLARKSON BEACUSE OF YOU
BIG BROVAZ BABY BOY
MADONNA HOLIDAY
BLUE BREATHE EASY
RICKY MARTIN LIVIN' LA VIDA LOCA
NICKELBACK HOW YOU REMIND ME
LEMAR IF THERE'S ANY JUSTICE
ROBIN THICKE WHEN I GET YOU ALONE
KYLIE MINOGUE I SHOULD BE SO LUCKY
ADELE SOMEONE LIKE YOU
KELLY ROWLAND STOLE
MADONNA MATERIAL GIRL
KINGS OF LEON USE SOMEBODY
RIHANNA MAN DOWN
ATOMIC KITTEN THE TIDE IS HIGH (GET THAT FEELING)
FERGIE BIG GIRLS DON'T CRY
MARK RONSON VALERIE [feat. AMY WINEHOUSE]

Amazing to see Pirate Bones and Breakin' Dishes here, as I still listen those songs a lot.
Sugababes - 2 stunning songs from a golden trio.
Wow @ Robin Thicke - I thought I was the only one who knew about this album :lol:
Kirill
Manager

Postby Kirill » Wed Dec 23, 2015 2:42 pm

400-301

400 SHANIA TWAIN THAT DON'T IMPRESS ME MUCH
399 RONAN KEATING LIFE IS A ROLLERCOSTER
398 STEVIE WONDER SIGNED SEALED DELIVERED I'M YOURS
394 KEANE EVERYBODY'S CHANGING
393 LADY GAGA BAD ROMANCE

376 CHRISTINA AGUILERA CANDYMAN

370 NATASHA BEDINGFIELD STRIP ME
369 MADONNA LIKE A PRAYER
368 GIRLS ALOUD LIFE GOT COLD
366 JAMES BROWN IT'S A MAN'S MAN'S MAN'S WORLD
365 COLDPLAY VIOLET HILL
364 THE PUSSYCAT DOLLS I HATE THIS PART
361 BLUE FLY BY II

360 KT TUNSTALL SUDDENLY I SEE
358 GIRLS ALOUD SEXY! NO NO NO
356 JUSTIN TIMBERLAKE SEXYBACK
351 LEONA LEWIS BLEEDING LOVE

350 NELLY FURTADO MANEATER
349 RIHANNA TAKE A BOW
347 JAMELIA BEWARE OF THE DOG
344 MIKA GRACE KELLY

340 DUFFY WARWICK AVENUE
337 CHAKA KHAN AIN'T NOBODY
336 ALESHA DIXON THE BOY DOES NOTHING
334 KELLY CLARKSON BEHIND THESE HAZEL EYES

330 VANESSA WILLIAMS SAVE THE BEST FOR LAST
329 SHAYNE WARD NO PROMISES
327 MAROON 5 HARDER TO BREATHE
325 KYLIE MINOGUE I BELIEVE IN YOU
324 BEYONCE HALO
322 RADIOHEAD CREEP
321 ATOMIC KITTEN WHOLE AGAIN

319 JOHN WILLIAMS HEDWIG'S THEME
318 JAMELIA SEE IT IN A BOY'S EYES
316 DANIEL BEDINGFIELD WRAP MY WORDS AROUND YOU
314 SUGABABES FOLLOW ME HOME

309 REM LOSING MY RELIGION
308 MICHAEL BUBLE HAVEN'T MET YOU YET
307 ALICIA KEYS EMPIRE STATE OF MIND (PART II) BROKEN DOWN
303 GIRLS ALOUD NO GOOD ADVICE
301 THE PROCLAIMERS I'M GONNA BE (500 MILES)

KT! She deserves this postion, Saw her live last year in Sydney and she was amazing! We even had a little talk after the concert, then she signed my $20 and said: 'Now you can sell this for like $25' :lol: Black horse and the cherry tree and Saving My Face and some more songs probably would appear in my top-1000 :lol:
A lot of GA and Sugababes so far, I like it.
Kirill
Manager

Postby NothingFails » Sat Jan 02, 2016 5:23 am

Alone has been massacred by every talent contest hopeful, but it is still a great song, I love the whole bombastic 80's power pop production of it, but in general I do prefer Heart's 70s stuff when they were more of a female Led Zeppelin, but they had some great hits in the 80s and 90s too

In My Life is beautiful
NothingFails
Legend

Postby Spartan » Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:02 pm

toni_pest wrote:AAAAAAALOOOOOOOONEEEEEEEEEEEE such a classic. don't know that Beatles song
Benny wrote:"Alone" is absolutely amazing.
I have to check out that Beatles song, not sure I know it.
You guys should check it out.

JSparksFan wrote:Woman in Love: 10/10 - Barbra's voice sounds so beautiful on this song. I definitely agree it's not the most vocally taxing song she's done, but I contend that her voice has never sounded more gorgeous than it does on this classic.

Rio: 5.5/10 - This wasn't completely terrible, but it didn't do much for me.

It Must Have Been Love: 10/10 - This song does to me what Adele's music does to the general public; it punches me smack dab in the middle of my feels. It's painfully relatable. I love it.

Take a Chance on Me: 7/10 - I prefer the verses to the chorus, which can get a bit annoying towards the latter end of the song. It's an enjoyable song still.

The Rose: 8/10 - This is pretty cheesy, but I liked it.

Human: 8/10 - I feel like I've heard the hook before. Hmm...I wonder if it was used in one of the million TV shows I've seen. Anyway, this is much better than the average Killers track.

You're the Voice: 6/10 - This song didn't connect with me, but John does have a good voice.

The Safety Dance: 3/10 - No me gusta.

Diamonds Are Forever: 9/10 - The best Bond theme song. 8-)

Proud Mary: 10/10 - I'm pleasantly surprised to see this one so high. For good reason, this is Tina's signature song. She sings it with so much soul and passion. I love how she gives us a slowed down version, then mixes it up with an awesome uptempo part. This is one of those songs a single artist just owns; no can sing this song like Tina. I always find myself dancing embarrassingly when this comes on. :lol:
So many awesome songs you like, "no me gusta" at The Safety Dance disappoints me. :(

Kirill wrote:Wow, amazing presentation, first of all.
I need to check your list, pretty sure it's amazing. I'll be back :lol:
Thanks for checking me out. I'm glad you seem to like a lot of my stuff.

NothingFails wrote:Alone has been massacred by every talent contest hopeful, but it is still a great song, I love the whole bombastic 80's power pop production of it, but in general I do prefer Heart's 70s stuff when they were more of a female Led Zeppelin, but they had some great hits in the 80s and 90s too

In My Life is beautiful
Yay, one person who knows/likes In My Life.
Spartan
Legend

Postby Spartan » Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:02 pm

David Bowie's third and final entry on my chart is his song 'Heroes'. Though probably not considered one of his classics, Heroes is my favourite Bowie song. He is an artist who I've only come to appreciate fairly recently and all of his songs that I do know I really enjoy. The song has a great meaning behind it and Bowie's vocals are really on point here.
Bonnie Tyler's second and final entry on my chart is one of most well-loved songs of all-time in my opinion. Written by legendary lyricist Jim Steinman (famous for his contribution toward Bat Out Of Hell), the song is one of the best ballads of all-time. The piano instrumental is understated, while Tyler's vocals are powerfully gritty. This song is deservedly this high.
Spartan
Legend

Postby Benny » Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:59 pm

"Total Eclipse Of The Heart" is an epic masterpiece and also in my personal all-time top 10.
Benny
Legend

Postby Tansike » Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:59 pm

Love "Total Eclipse Of The Heart", such a great classic!

I can't remember "Heroes" though which is a shame. I'll check it out, currently loving his newest album... RIP... :(
Tansike
Legend

Postby Phoenixx » Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:03 pm

Total Eclipse Of The Heart :cry:
Phoenixx
Purpose

Postby phoenix98 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:37 pm

Wow, an all-time Top 500 is certainly an ambitious undertaking! Since I'm terribly far behind, I'll try to keep my catch-up somewhat concise (which means I'll be skipping over quite a few excellent picks, but it's no surprise that your countdown would have too many gems to talk about):

438. THE SATURDAYS KEEP HER - SO random! :lol: I wonder if it's that association with your first-ever real-life Sats experience that gives it such a special place in your heart. I mean, just looking at their album tracks, "Chasing Lights", "Open Up", "One Shot", "2AM", "Lose Control" >>>>
423. KYLIE MINOGUE I SHOULD BE SO LUCKY - LOVE IT! I didn't know (or simply forgot) that you had a soft spot for cheesy-80's-Kylie...but this is definitely some of cheesy-80's-Kylie at her best.
409. THE ALL-AMERICAN REJECTS IT ENDS TONIGHT - I really loved these guys in high school, but kind of fell off the bandwagon after their second album, so this brings back some nice memories. It's especially cool to see them appear (multiple times, no less!), since I didn't think they had much of an international presence. I guess I owe it to your Tom Welling boner.
407. FERGIE BIG GIRLS DON'T CRY - This would definitely rank among of my favorite songs of the 00's. I'm not even sure how to put my adoration for it into words, but...it just hits me really hard. Love it.
393. LADY GAGA BAD ROMANCE - "This attention-seeker." Tsk. I must've blocked out your anti-Gaga-attitude, 'cause I don't recall you being such a sassy betch towards her. Any rate, glad to see you were able to put those feelings aside and give this epic tune some proper recognition.
391. DANNII MINOGUE VS FLOWER POWER YOU WON'T FORGET ABOUT ME - I do enjoy this one...but you prefer Dannii to Kylie?!?! Now I'm starting to remember why I left...
386. HILARY DUFF JERICHO - Now THIS is a lovely surprise! Possibly...probably...definitely my favorite track on that album.
370. NATASHA BEDINGFIELD STRIP ME - Gladly, just name the time and place, Pete :wink: Kidding (or is it?) aside, I might need to re-visit this album, since I'd probably describe it as "dull" (besides "Weightless"...and that song about the brown note...)
369. MADONNA LIKE A PRAYER - I'd have an incredibly hard time ranking Madonna's songs, but this would definitely be very near (or quite possibly at) the top. Epic.
353. KYLIE MINOGUE WOW - If there's a running joke where you're deliberately messing up the lyrics to be funny, then I apologize for being thick + overly literal...but the line is definitely "every inch of you spells out desire..." ;) Obnoxious nitpicking aside, BOP!
351. LEONA LEWIS BLEEDING LOVE - Just like "Big Girls Don't Cry", this would definitely rank among my favorite musical moments of the 00's. It's a shame what's become of her career, but this light will burn bright for many years to come.
342.HILARY & HAYLIE DUFF OUR LIPS ARE SEALED - Your Hilary stanning really makes me smile - and I genuinely enjoy this cover too.
339. THE KILLERS MR BRIGHTSIDE - Same as I said about BGDC and BL.
324. BEYONCE HALO - Totally agree about IASF, and this is definitely one of many highlights from it.
290. HILARY DUFF NOW YOU KNOW - Now let's not be blaming Queen Hilz for your buggery! I've actually never heard this one, so I'll have to give it a spin ASAP.
281. GIRLS ALOUD MEMORY OF YOU - I could comment on all the GA tracks, but this is the first one that I absolutely had to give you props for including. Like you said, quite possibly one of the finest B-sides from any artist that I've ever heard (though Kylie's got quite a few too.)
271. TIFFANY I THINK WE'RE ALONE NOW - Love it, and I love how faithful GA's album version/not-the-single-mix was to this version.
257. DEPECHE MODE JUST CAN'T GET ENOUGH - No mention of The Sats here? What kind of shade...?
251. THE SATURDAYS HIGHER - Love that there's no mention of Flo, and I definitely agree about their....dancier shift in sound over the years. Guess you weren't that into "Disco Love", though?
254. KYLIE MINOGUE CAN'T GET YOU OUT OF MY HEAD - Epic, of course, but I appreciate that it's not her highest-charting song. It's fantastic, but I agree that she's done even better.
224. KYLIE MINOGUE SPINNING AROUND - "...catchy pop song that you would happily wiggle your booty to on the dancefloor." I'mma need a visual for this.
219. RIHANNA UNFAITHFUL - "This was also the first time where I appreciated how monotonously cold and dead Rihanna's voice sounds." King of back-handed-compliments. DAMN! :lol:
208. BRITNEY SPEARS TOXIC - Same as BGDC, BL, etc. Totally forgot that you harbor such hatred for Brit, though.
202. HILARY DUFF WHAT DREAMS ARE MADE OF - Are you deliberately picking obscure soundtrack cuts to demonstrate your true fan status?

Aw, I can't just copy-paste the song titles anymore since you switched up the formatting. It does look ace, though - quite nicely done!

189. ON A NIGHT LIKE THIS - This is a surprising, but satisfying, pick! I think I ranked it Top 5 on a Kylie countdown I did here ages ago.
188. UMBRELLA - "Totes overrated...but also one of the 200 best songs ever." Pick a lane, mate!
182. MAN! I FEEL LIKE A WOMAN - Oh how this song brings out my most flamboyant side. I've got very fond memories of karaoking to this on a Japan trip back in high school.
178. STOP! IN THE NAME OF LOVE - Definitely one of the most recognizable gems from one of the best girl-groups ever. Classic.
161. I FEEL PRETTY/UNPRETTY - Even though I fell off the Glee bangwadgon 5ever ago, I still go back to this one from time-to-time. They had a lot of really, really strong moments across the first couple seasons, and this is one of the finest among that bunch. Diana really shows her stuff, and as you said, these two very-different singers manage to blend together gorgeously. The whole mash-up itself is quite clever, and impactful.
131. ROCK DJ - Ha. This video (which actually got played here, surprisingly) definitely stirred up some feelings in young, budding homosexual me as well.
130. EGO - BOP. Totally agree with this being one of their absolute best.
116. SEE YOU AGAIN - Ah, I can still recall the first time I heard this on the radio - instantly loved it, and had no idea it was her. I think she's done even better since, but still great to see you showing it such love.
113. ABOUT YOU NOW - Surprising, but I'm glad to know you have such fondness for Change. I was revisiting "Denial" not too long ago - such a solid song (and video.)
96. OVER THE RAINBOW - Love LoVe LOVE that you included this! The movie was definitely a defining part of my childhood, and this song still brings up all kinds of feels.
65. UP - Aw, totally the song that made me a Sats fan too! I can't remember exactly why I decided to give it a try, since I'd initially just dismissed them as lame GA/Sugababes wannabes, but after watching the video just once, I was hooked. LMAO @ the bar charts! :lol:
46. CALL THE SHOTS - Definitely one of their best - and you're always a cool cat, Pete.
31. I HAVE NOTHING - Props for putting this well above IWALY. I'm not entirely sure if I agree, but it's a really strong moment in her catalog that often gets over-shadowed, so it's nice to see it get the spotlight here.
14. TORN - Definitely one of the songs that define the 90's.
12. UNWRITTEN - I haven't agreed with all your Nat picks, but this definitely belongs with BGDC, BL, etc. as one of the finest moments of the 00's.
07. TOTAL ECLIPSE OF THE HEART - Obviously epic, but no mention of the Glee version?

Phew. I kinda pooped out toward the end (probably shouldn't have tried to tackle it all in one sitting...granted, you're prolly used to boyz not being able to handle the size of what you're offering), but I'm definitely excited for the big Top 6 reveal. Again - huge props for putting all of this together! :)
phoenix98
Legend

Postby NothingFails » Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:22 pm

Perfect ranking for Heroes, and ironic timing too as you posted it right before he passed. Even nearly 3 weeks on, I still can't get through that one without my eyes welling up. Masterpiece is an understatement for how perfect that song is. It may be David's magnum opus.

Total Eclipse Of The Heart is another all time favorite for me too. Bonnie Tyler sang her lungs out on that one. So bombastic and over the top and amazing. The "every now and then I fall apart" where she screams her lungs out is life itself.

Both songs must be experienced in their full length versions, I hate the single versions that chop out entire verses (the single mix of Heroes cuts out the first two verses of the song. You need those three verses to build up to the emotional crescendo when he starts shouting the last two verses)
NothingFails
Legend

Postby Spartan » Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:36 pm

Thanks for all the comments"

NothingFails wrote:Perfect ranking for Heroes, and ironic timing too as you posted it right before he passed. Even nearly 3 weeks on, I still can't get through that one without my eyes welling up. Masterpiece is an understatement for how perfect that song is. It may be David's magnum opus.

Total Eclipse Of The Heart is another all time favorite for me too. Bonnie Tyler sang her lungs out on that one. So bombastic and over the top and amazing. The "every now and then I fall apart" where she screams her lungs out is life itself.

Both songs must be experienced in their full length versions, I hate the single versions that chop out entire verses (the single mix of Heroes cuts out the first two verses of the song. You need those three verses to build up to the emotional crescendo when he starts shouting the last two verses)
I've got the long version of TEOFH, but I didn't realise Heroes had a long one - I'll check it out.
Spartan
Legend

Postby Spartan » Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:36 pm

I will finish this before the end of this year.

ABBA's ninth of ten entries and just missing out on the Top 5 is Mamma Mia. The penultimate charting song from ABBA, and their titular musical song, is the extremely infectious Mamma Mia. While all the ABBA songs I have on this countdown are various shades of amazing, this one is the most infectious. The main highlight of the song for me is the bridge "just one look and I can hear the bell ring". It just makes the perfect song even more perfect.
The first song to crack the Top 5 is the iconic hit by a-ha and their only entry on my chart. In all honesty, I only know two songs by the band and this is by far my favourite. It's my second highest hit from the 80s and is the epitome of excellence. From the wide vocal range displayed to that iconic music video, everything about this song is bang on point.
Spartan
Legend

Postby Benny » Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:50 pm

"Mamma Mia" is fantastic, ABBA pop at its best.
"Take on Me" is great but overplayed by radio.
Benny
Legend

Postby Phoenixx » Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:21 pm

These are both such classics! Expecially Take On Me!
Phoenixx
Purpose

Postby NothingFails » Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:53 pm

Spartan wrote:I've got the long version of TEOFH, but I didn't realise Heroes had a long one - I'll check it out.
The "I, I wish I could swim" part that opens up the single version was actually the third verse. The single version I guess is fine for compact listening, but I feel like it lacks some of the emotional buildup that the 6 minute long album version had.

Another two great songs.

Mamma Mia is pop perfection, you can't not get happy when you hear it come on. I do like some of their latter stuff more but you can't deny how perfect a pop song it is.

Take On Me is also a masterpiece that you can't talk about without also bringing up the legendary video that still holds up as one of the greatest ever made. Sadly this is all America seems to know a-ha for which is kind of a shame since they have so many other great songs, but at least we did get this one right by making it #1.
NothingFails
Legend

Return to Personal Charts