My 50 Favourite Albums of The Past 5 Years. (#01)

Moderators: trebor, tdc2000, JSparksFan, FreakyFlyBry

Postby Benjamin » Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:15 am

Hello!
I've decided to do a countdown of my favorite 50 albums of the past five years.
I want to rank these 'modern classics'.
All albums in the countdown were released between 01 August 2008 - 01 August 2013.
I've included studio albums only, no greatest hits packages or live albums.

Some albums that didn't make the Top 50:

- Garbage | Not Your Kind Of People (2012)
- Kings Of Leon | Only By The Night (2008)
- Jessie J | Who You Are (2011)
- Alanis Morissette | Havoc & Bright Lights (2012)
- Train | Save Me, San Francisco (2009)
- OneRepublic | Native (2013) *
- Kanye West | Yeezus (2013) *
- Jay-Z | Magna Carta Holy Grail (2013) *

* It's too early to rank these records. I need to listen to them more and put them in perspective.
Last edited by Benjamin on Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:37 am, edited 26 times in total.
Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby Benjamin » Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:57 am

#50 HURTS | HAPPINESS (2010)

Released in the Summer of 2010, Hurts' debut album 'Happiness' immediately grabbed my attention. The singles 'Wonderful Life' and 'Stay' quickly became my favourite songs on the record. In the Fall of '10 I went to see the duo performing at Paradiso, Amsterdam. The show was dark and moody, but I really enjoyed the concert. Unfortunately I didn't like Hurts' sophomore album, so 'Happiness' is their only entry in my top 50.

Top 5:

1. Wonderful Life
2. Silver Lining
3. Stay
4. Evelyn
5. Better Than Love
Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby Benjamin » Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:58 am

#49 NICOLA ROBERTS | CINDERELLA'S EYES (2011)

I've always liked Girls Aloud but I never was a fan. I thought the girls were kind of overrated, especially Cheryl. Her solo material was quite weak (besides some singles), so I was so surprised when I hears Nicola's solo stuff. 'Cinderella's Eyes' is awesome and better than anything Girls Aloud ever released. It's a shame Nicola wasn't as succesful as bandmate Cheryl, because this album is bananas. I can't wait for Nicola's next record.

Top 5:

1. Beat Of My Drum
2. Gladiator
3. Lucky Day
4. I
5. Everybody's Got To Learn Sometime
Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby Benjamin » Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:06 am

#48 LILY ALLEN | IT'S NOT ME, IT'S YOU (2009)

Lily's debut didn't do anything for me. I liked 'Smile' and 'LDN' but, to be honest, that was about it. When the singer released her sophomore album, I started to really like her music. 'It's Not Me, It's You', is more mature, but yet very Lily and still fun. I'm afraid Lily will never be able to top this record, but that's okay. This one's a classic.

Top 5:

1. Everyone's At It
2. The Fear
3. F*ck You
4. Not Fair
5. Who'd Have Known
Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby Lollo95 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:02 am

Happiness grabbed my attention immediately too. It was something different from everything else, also the fact that it was a duo, which is usually rare in music. Great you had the chance to see them live, as they're a great live act. Exile could grow on you, it's surely very different from Happiness (and probably just a little bit worse). My favourite from Happiness is Wonderful Life, so epic and full of emotions! :)

Don't know the Nicola album, but I've read a lot of praise around the web! A few tracks were produced by Metronomy, so I might check out them and probably the whole album at the end.

It's Not Me, It's You is a little classic. I agree that it's most mature than her debut, which was very out of the schemes. I like it, but the follow-up sounds more cohesive. All the production is immense, Greg Kurstin did an amazing job combining Lily's melodies with electronic and synth elements. Even though is already 4 years old, it still sounds current. My favourites are The Fear and I Could Say, an amazing ballad.
Lollo95
Superstar

Postby Benjamin » Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:59 pm

#47 JOHN MAYER | BATTLE STUDIES (2009)

I got this album from my dad for Christmas. He's a big fan of 'Heartbreak Warfare' and he knows I like Mayer, so he decided to get me a copy of the album. I'd say it's definitely one of the highlights in John Mayer's career. The songs on 'Battle Studies' capture Mayer's soulful voice the best. Better than the more folky songs on 'Born And Raised'.

Top 5:

1. Assassin
2. Heartbreak Warfare
3. Crossroads
4. Who Says
5. Half Of My Heart
Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby Benjamin » Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:00 pm

#46 ONEREPUBLIC | WAKE ME UP (2009)

Ryan Tedder can't do no wrong. OneRepublic has quickly become one of my favorite bands. Their debut was solid, but the band's sophomore album 'Wake Me Up' is my favorite. I also really love 'Native', but I think it's too early to rank that album in this countdown. As for now, 'Wake Me Up' remains my favorite OneRepublic record.

Top 5:

1. Good Life
2. All The Right Moves
3. Made For You
4. Everybbody Loves Me
5. Marchin' On
Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby CrazyCrazy » Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:14 pm

Lily's one is a great entry, well done to her, I love that album too! Nicola's one has a few good songs on it, still not sure if her vocals hinder the experience though! :lol: :P
CrazyCrazy
Legend

Postby stevyy » Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:17 pm

Waking UP and Battle Studies are two brilliant albums.
stevyy
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:43 am

I never got around to hearing Happiness in full but "Wonderful Life" is among my favourite singles of the past five years. "Stay" is also really impressive. Similarly, I only know "Beat of My Drum" and "Lucky Day" from that Nicola record, the former being one of the best solo releases from any of the Girls Aloud members. "The Fear" is really good too.

I actually heard that John Mayer album in its entirety and liked it. It's not groundbreaking or extraordinary but there were some pretty solid tunes. I don't think I liked any track more than "Who Says" though.
Akini's Top 25 Artists of 2018: [#1 Revealed!]

The broken world waits in darkness for the light that is you.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Benjamin » Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:49 am

#45 SADE | SOLDIER OF LOVE (2010)

Fans of Sade had to wait a decade for new material, but when the band released the follow up to 'Lovers Rock' (2000), they did not disappoint. 'Soldier Of Love' is a classic Sade album and is up there with 'Lovers Rock' as my favourite Sade records. I really hope Sade will release another full studio album soon. I don't want to wait till 2020.

Top 5:

1. Soldier Of Love
2. The Moon And The Sky
3. Morning Bird
4. Skin
5. Long Hard Road
Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby Benjamin » Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:49 am

#44 RIHANNA | RATED R (2009)

Rihanna's most experimental album and also the only Rihanna album in this countdown. I like it better than anything she released afterwards, but it's not as good as 'Good Girl Gone Bad' in my opinion. It's a shame some of the best songs on the album, 'Firebomb' and 'Photographs', weren't released as singles.

Top 5:

1. Hard
2. Firebomb
3. Photographs
4. Rude Boy
5. Te Amo
Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby Lollo95 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:51 am

I don't know Rated R that much. I listened to it once, but it didn't really impress me, even though it sounded different from a tipical Rihanna album.
Lollo95
Superstar

Postby Tansike » Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:53 am

Agree with everything you said about Lily's album. Her debut didn't catch my attention but "It's Not Me It's You" did and i bought it pretty fast after the release. It's a great pop record with a lot of great songs, so i'm glad it's charting here.

Rihanna's "Rated R" is nice, but i never got the hype about it. A lot of fans call it her best work so far and i disagree as there is a lot of garbage on this album. Anyway, it has some great songs as well...
Tansike
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:30 pm

Rated R is too low! It would've been #1 for me. I agree with what you said about some of the best songs being passed over for weaker choices as singles. The most glaring offence is probably "Rockstar 101" over "Fire Bomb". The entire record is impeccable though. Even the weakest song, which is probably "Rockstar 101", is great.
Akini's Top 25 Artists of 2018: [#1 Revealed!]

The broken world waits in darkness for the light that is you.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby CrazyCrazy » Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:20 pm

JSparksFan wrote:Rated R is too low!
It's too high! :lol: No I actually like it, but above Lily? Just no. 8-) :P
CrazyCrazy
Legend

Postby Benjamin » Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:30 pm

#43 NATALIA KILLS | PERFECTIONIST (2011)

I expected big things for Natalia Kills when I heard 'Mirrors' - but sadly I was wrong. 'Perfectionist' wasn't the commercial success the singer had hoped for. That doesn't mean the music on the record was disappointing though. I think it's a great debut album. They shouldn't have re-released it with 'Kill My Boyfriend' though. I'd have loved 'Love Is A Suicide' as a single.

Top 5:

1. Wonderland
2. Mirrors
3. Free
4. Love Is A Suicide
5. Acid Annie
Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby Benjamin » Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:31 pm

#42 MAROON 5 | OVEREXPOSED (2012)

I don't really know what to say about 'Overexposed'. It's just a very solid album. I love Maroon 5 and I honestly think this is a great album. Better than 'Hands All Over'. I'm happy Adam Levine + co. have found their way back to the charts again. They seem unstoppable at the moment. (ever since 'Moves Like Jagger' was released).

Top 5:

1. One More Night
2. Payphone
3. The Man Who Never Lied
4. Daylight
5. Doin' Dirt
Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby Benjamin » Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:32 pm

#41 JAY-Z | THE BLUEPRINT 3 (2009)

The third (and final?) part of Jay-Z's 'The Blueprint' series. I think this is my favorite. I like that Jay worked with so many talented artists on this record. Pharrell, Bee, Kanye, Alicia, but also Luke Steele of Empire Of The Sun. Just awesome!

Top 5:

1. Run This Town
2. Venus vs. Mars
3. Young Forever
4. Empire State Of Mind
5. What We Talkin' About
Last edited by Benjamin on Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby NothingFails » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:30 am

Sade's album is good, although it isn't one of their stronger albums.
NothingFails
Legend

Postby Benjamin » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:30 pm

#41 JENNIFER LOPEZ | LOVE? (2011)

Well.. what can I say? I love Jenny! Always have, always will. 'Love?' is a very nice album overall, I just think it was released two years too late. The songs were all kind of old and that's why I think it sounds dated. Still, I think 'Love?' is a very good album. Not her best, obviously.

Top 5:

1. On The Floor
2. Villain
3. Papi
4. Hypnotico
5. I'm Into You
Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby Benjamin » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:31 pm

#39 TAYLOR SWIFT | RED (2012)

I think 'Red' is Taylor's best album by miles. The mix of country and pop on this record is just pure perfection. I like the poppy upbeat songs like 'I Knew You Were Trouble' and 'We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together', but I also love Taylor's singer-songwriter songs like the duets with Ed Sheeran and Gary Lightbody. This album's a modern classic and I'm afraid she won't ever be able to top it.

Top 5:

1. Starlight
2. The Last Time
3. I Knew You Were Trouble
4. We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together
5. Everything Has Changed
Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby Benjamin » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:32 pm

#38 BEYONCÉ | I AM... SASHA FIERCE (2008)

Queen B's first entry in this chart. Although I prefer 'B'Day' and '4', I still think IASF is a very solid record. There's just something for everybody on this album. I love the ballads, but I also adore 'Radio'. I wish Bee would make more pop songs like that.

Top 5:

1. Halo
2. Radio
3. Satellites
4. Diva
5. Broken-Hearted Girl
Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby stevyy » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:11 pm

overexposed <3

epic album by maroon 5.. so much better than the previous one. catchy tunes.

rated r is still riri's bestt effort!

Halo!!! makes that Beyoncé album a stone groove smash as well!

Soldier of love is also epic. love the title track. one of the best R&B songs of recent times.
stevyy
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:05 pm

What an amazing way to start your countdown! Happiness is indeed a great album. I love each single track on that record, but I'm shocked that you didn't mention the unique and breathtaking "Devotion". It always gets me, when the accordion kicks in and Kylie's voice fits perfectly to Theo's one. I honestly think that this song is one of the most beautiful and best collaboration ever in contemporary pop music. Should've been a single, though!

I'm suprised to see Cinderealla's Eyes on your chart. It's one of my favourite albums as well and it's so superior to anything Cheryl has touched so far (when it comes to her albums. Cheryl has some amazing stuff on her records, though). It's a perfect mixture of personal & fun songs, innovative and pop sounds! Cannot wait to listen to Nicola's sophomore album.

I'm not interested in Lily Allen as a personal at all and to be honest, I don't know any songs by her except of "Smile" and her amazing album "It's Not Me, It's You". There are enough verses of some songs' lyrics which are just hilarious, ingenious and so catchy... you cannot get 'em out of your head.

We have the same favourites, when it comes to Wake Me Up. Only "Secrets" is missin' and I totally agree on what you've said about Tedder. He's so talented and handsome, good-looking xD

Rated-R is over-rated. I'm with Tansike on this one. I kinda like "Te Amo", "Russian Roulette" and it doesn't hurt, when I listen to "Rude Boy" or "Photographs", but I'm not a fan of the rest...

If you aks me, I think that "Mirrors" is pretty basic and mediocre. I've never gotten it, why Natalia Kills is "famous" in the first place. However, I think that the cover of "Perfectionist" is awesome.
Mainshow
Legend

Return to Personal Charts