JakeP Top 20

Moderators: JSparksFan, tdc2000, FreakyFlyBry

Postby JakeP » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:00 pm

cheapthrills wrote:Ohhh such a low debut for Bey and company :lol: - I guess you are about as impressed as Akini :)

So nice to see Martin at #3. And Ari and Onika almost doubling up in the top five.
Thanks cheapthrills :D

LOL all thanks to the music video. I don't mind the song itself but the visual element really enhances and propels the song. It did well to even make #20 as my attention was split between a number of new songs and music videos last week. :P Ohh i'm not sure what Akini makes of the whole The Carters album.

Had they delivered a pop/rap anthem on par with Empire state of mind i would've been on board. :wink:

I really adore Ocean and created a thread for the single in the dance forum although it seems to have gone down like a lead balloon. :lol: I guess not many people on UK Mix for here for new Martin Garrix music. :(

I prefer Bed more than The light is coming but the whole top 6 was strong and in a quiet week with no competition i suspect any of them could've challenged for #1.
JakeP
Manager

Postby SummerPeur » Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:57 pm

Listen Jake there is no more Kylie so I guess this is now cancelled? Hahahah just kidding! <3 yah boo.

01 (NE) Florence + The Machine - Big god [1 wk] [#1] (1 wk @ #1)
What a debut for Florence. Has any other songs of hers debut at #1?

04 (06) Nicki Minaj featuring Ariana Grande - Bed [2 wks] [#4]
06 (NE) Ariana Grande featuring Nicki Minaj - The light is coming [1 wk] [#6]
Ari + Nicki slaying the Top10 8-)

Much like NTLTC - I'm not enjoying bed ATM - however I do enjoy The light is coming. However they both still need to grow on me.

10 (04) Troye Sivan - Bloom [8 wks] [#2]
Hold on bloom :cry: :cry:
How about you Get the F*** Out.
SummerPeur
Legend

Postby JakeP » Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:44 pm

SummerPeur wrote:Listen Jake there is no more Kylie so I guess this is now cancelled? Hahahah just kidding! <3 yah boo.
Gurl, golden showers don't last forever. :P :wink: I'm awaiting news of the next single and (hopefully) music video to give Kylie another boost back into my chart.

SummerPeur wrote:
01 (NE) Florence + The Machine - Big god [1 wk] [#1] (1 wk @ #1)
What a debut for Florence. Has any other songs of hers debut at #1?
Surprisingly no but the first time i saw the video for Big god i was captivated and fascinated by the whole thing. It is also such an epic song Florence truly deserves #1 honours this time round, especially having peaked at #2 on numerous occasions.

SummerPeur wrote:
Ari + Nicki slaying the Top10 8-)

Much like NTLTC - I'm not enjoying bed ATM - however I do enjoy The light is coming. However they both still need to grow on me.
Ari & Nicki being a true chart force although together they bagged a #1 with Bang bang in 2014. It got slated so hard but i loved that track. Shame you're not a fan of Bed as its easily my fave Nicki related single for quite a while. I'm just not into her more urban sounding tracks. :x As for The light is coming i think its such a quirky song and kinda experimental. I can understand why its not an official single though. :P

SummerPeur wrote:
Hold on bloom :cry: :cry:
Aww Troye isn't going to suddenly plummet out of the entire chart. The top 6 received most of my attention last week hence the block of high new entries whilst everything has had to move down to compensate. :wink:
JakeP
Manager

Postby Tansike » Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:27 pm

Doing replies piece by piece paul-style now, as it’s easier that way IMO. Hope you don’t mind :)

JakeP wrote:My, my, my was so instant i loved it on first listen and it remained amongst my absolute favourite songs for a good month or so. Whereas Dance to this really doesn't sell the album by comparison. It's nice enough just a little "dull" :oops: and i'm here for bops and sing-a-long choruses, not dull. :( The music video for Bloom is up there alongside the likes of Ashes and No more tears to cry as some of faves of the year so far. I'm surprised that Troye never had any chart entries for you from 2014 or 2015. I was very much a fan early on in Troye's career which is why i'm loving seeing Troye at his most comfortable sexuality wise. <3
I get what you mean with calling “Dance To This” dull. Interestingly, I had the absolute same problem with his other singles this era, while “Dance To This” made a much better first impression on me, though it’s already starting to fade a bit and most likely won’t stick with me for too long now (until the album comes out, I guess).
Guess I really need to check out that video :o “No Tears” also is one of my faves, but the best video this year so far belongs to “This Is America” for me. “Ashes” is hilarious! :)
Oh, he had entries in 2014/2015, with “Happy Little Pill” (peak #19, 5 weeks on the charts), “Wild” (#18, 4 weeks) and “Talk Me Down” (#24, 8 weeks). It’s just that I wasn’t aware of him or his stuff right from the beginning, but once I checked “Happy Little Pill” out I quite liked it and since then I’m following him pretty closely, though he has yet to get a big hit on my charts.

JakeP wrote:YAY! Clean Bandit did it. Solo is officially the new UK #1 and i'm so thrilled. It is now quite comfortably my favourite UK #1 of the year so far.
+1 :cool:

JakeP wrote: No tears left to cry has enjoyed tremendous longevity inside my top 10. I adore the song so much, i'm still saddened that it couldn't sneak at least one week at #1 in the UK. Hopefully Sweetner will give Ariana that #1 album. :D
Yeah, I’m also sad that it wasn’t able to reach #1 in the UK (and the US). It deserved it. I have high hopes for “Sweetener”, charts-wise and music-wise. 2018 could be an even better year for her than 2014.

JakeP wrote:Sadly i think you're right about Seeing blind. Niall tends to benefit hugely when he performs on tv shows, or live tv events. But i do think Niall is very wise and savvy. He knows exactly which markets he's had the biggest impact in (America, Australia and obviously Ireland :P ) and is focusing his attentions on the countries where he's enjoyed the most success.
Which is very wise indeed! But thinking about it, focusing on his best markets would still include a proper push for “Seeing Blind” IMO, as Maren was very successful in the US so that would be like a win-win situation. The singles weren’t well picked after “Slow Hands” :(

JakeP wrote: Back to you has grown on me so much over the last couple of weeks leading to its rapid climb but narrowly missing out on the top 10. Selena has had remarkable success in these last couple of years. I'd even say she's more successful now than she was five years ago. That's really good going and it shows just how much progression Selena had made as a singer.
That’s amazing! I’m glad she has become such a ‘force’ on your charts as well, but also worldwide of course. I still remember the time when I was bopping to her debut album and she barely made the Hot100 with her single “Falling Down”, and then she released “Naturally” which slowly climbed up the charts and I freaked out how one of my faves was able to get a hit like this.. And now that she’s scoring Top10s/20s so easily i'm like 'mmmkay' :oops: :lol:

JakeP wrote: Bed did incredibly well to enter at #6 after 36 of the songs release. Granted other songs in the past have charted higher in less time but it's still an amazing achievement. Plus it bodes well for my new chart as Bed is definitely going to be high up the chart. But with much new music i've listened to all week, it's gonna make compiling the new chart all the more interesting as i don't think there's an obvious #1 coming. :o It really is quite wide open which is a shame because that means my #2 or #3 could've been #1 had the competition been less. Ohh cool when is the concert taking place in 2019? :D
Definitely! And great news for the upcoming (already posted) charts! How did Nicki’s latest singles do on your charts? I don’t remember seeing “Barbie Tingz” or “Chun-Li” here, and I have absolutely no idea how her last era did?
Her concert is taking place at the end of March 2019, so still nine months to go! Somehow it’s nice how concerts are announced so soon as you can plan around, on another side that’s also a negative thing as you never know what happens. For example, I bought two Ed Sheeran tickets last summer or fall for his upcoming Stadium tour which takes place on the 5th August in Switzerland, and back then I thought I’ll be able to go, and now I won’t be able. But it is how it is…

JakeP wrote:Lily Allen is likely to suffer the same fate she did with Trigger bang. After charting fairly high in my chart, that single dropped out of my chart. Lose my mind is looking set to do the same. I haven't checked out the album as yet, and only paid attention to the track pretty much because of the music video.
Poor Lily, but I completely understand you as it’s been the same with me and on my charts. And I have to admit there’s not much worth checking out on “No Shame” :(

JakeP wrote:5 Seconds Of Summer have truly defied all expectations. When they started out in 2014 i couldn't help but regard them as a fad that would fizzle out quite fast, never to be heard of again by 2016. Yet here we are in 2018 and they're scoring their biggest hit of their career. Massive kudos to the guys.
Same! But as I said, it’s well deserved, because “Youngblood” is really good.

JakeP wrote:Kygo & Imagine Dragons are looking set for a big new entry. It's just that they're up against a number of other new entries all battling for chart supremacy so it's left to be seen who comes out on top. :wink: As i posted in your chart thread, Bebe Rexha isn't a contender. Maybe a future hit if it grows on me more, but nothing for the time being.
Fingers crossed for Bebe, and as for “Born To Be Yours”, it will be interesting to see how this does in the long run for you as I feel like this will be quite a short living hit for myself… :oops:

JakeP wrote:JakeP Top 20 (23rd June 2018)

03 (NE) Martin Garrix featuring Khalid - Ocean [1 wk] [#3]
05 (NE) Kygo & Imagine Dragons - Born to be yours [1 wk] [#5]
07 (03) Clean Bandit featuring Demi Lovato - Solo [5 wks] [#1] (2 wks @ #1)
11 (07) Years & Years - If you’re over me [7 wks] [#4]
12 (09) Céline Dion - Ashes [8 wks] [#1] (2 wks @ #1)
13 (10) Ariana Grande - No tears left to cry [10 wks] [#1] (2 wks @ #1)
14 (12) 5 Seconds Of Summer - Youngblood [4 wks] [#12]
15 (NE) Demi Lovato - Sober [1 wk] [#15]
17 (11) Selena Gomez - Back to you [4 wks] [#11]
18 (NE) Evanescence featuring Lindsey Stirling - Hi-lo [1 wk] [#18]
20 (NE) The Carters - Apeshit [1 wk] [#20]
I’ll hear your #1 in two days – I’m excited! :P

Woah, great debut for “Ocean”. Didn’t see such a strong entry coming for them, but congrats. I really like the song, but overall I preferred “Scared To Be Lonely” or “In The Name Of Love”.

Very glad to see “Bed” getting a new peak this week, and I’m also happy to see Kygo & Imagine Dragons and Ariana Grande & Nicki Minaj just landing behind it with their new entries. Especially the latter is so addictive, I can’t get enough of it. Ari repeating the title of the song all the time just gets stuck in your head… and I’m glad it’s actually having such a great start on here, as many people seem to complain about it. But for me it’s definitely 2/2 (or 2.5/2.5 counting the snippet posted in her album topic).

Ah Demi… “Sober” was such a surprise release. The message is strong and I’m not too sure what to think about it. As a song, it’s just okay, but together with Demi’s history, her vocals, the lyrics… it’s really good. Somehow I just hope this is a simple song and doesn’t mean she got back to alcohol…

Amazing debut for “Hi-Lo”!! :D :cry: :cool:
This is already like Lindsey’s third or fourth appearance on your charts, so yay for that!! :D :D :D
Tansike
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:30 pm

JakeP wrote:Hello Paul :D
G'day, Jake! :D

JakeP wrote:LOL can kin d of "save word" were you thinking of? :lol: :P
Hmmm...how about we use "flicker"? ;)

JakeP wrote:I've never heard of Red Stag although the idea of a cherry flavoured whiskey doesn't sound too bad. LOL again i've never had tequila either. I don't do shots either, i just avoid them at all costs. :oops: I've tried scotch whiskey but i'm not a fan. Even Jack Daniels whiskey which tends to be popular in the UK is another i personally am not a fan if. LOL tequila; spit or swallow? :wink: :P
As in no shots of tequila, or no shots of any kind period? They can be nifty when you don't enjoy the taste of alcohol, since they just go right down the hatch (with less time for the taste to linger). A friend of mine made some pretty tasty raspberry Jell-O shots over the weekend (though I tend to get a bit messy trying to slurp those down). :lol:

Swallowing for the sake of politeness, of course ;) (Or saving the spitting for when no one can see...)

JakeP wrote:Funny you say that about I'll be there, Solo, Shotgun because that could well happen now. :o Amazingly, this weeks UK top 2 mirrors my own top 2 from a couple of weeks back when Clean Bandit & George Ezra held the top 2 positions. <3 I doubt that's ever happened before, or maybe only a small number of instances.
That's awesome! Basically, the public's finally caught up with tracks you've known were fabulous for a while already :lol: Based on the midweek data, George's chances are looking pretty good...?

JakeP wrote:Haha not that i'm aware of, but at previous pride events i've been to over the years there are always guys who love to show a bit of flesh. If you got it, flaunt it. :wink: The thing with me is that i'm fairly shy even when i go to these events so i don't really have the courage to go shirtless. I don't mind just wearing a pair of shorts if i'm chilling with a few friends in the back garden when the sun is out (although i tend to sit in the shade, i don't tan particularly well :lol: ) but in the middle of Manchester, no chance. :lol:
:o I'll have to pop 'round for a visit sometime, if it means I'll find you strutting about the house topless!

Kidding (but not kidding) aside, I've got a similar approach to shirtlessness. I never peel it off at any big city events, just pools/beaches/etc.

JakeP wrote:I read an interview with Olly Alexander earlier in the week and i just sighed. Years & Years played at the Capital fm concert the other week and Olly was getting criticised for being so overtly sexual on stage. It just baffles me why Olly would be getting criticised for this. I'm sure that this was almost normal in the 80s when that decade seemed so much more open minded even if homophobia was more rife back then. It just saddens me there is always going to be a majority of straight 40+ year old people who condemn this. I agreed with Olly's comments when he said "children need to see an openly gay person who is comfortable with their sexuality". Sadly it goes in circles and nothing ever progresses. :cry: Even today there are probably young boys and girls too scared to come out publicly because they're scared of what the parents and family will say. *sigh*
Sheesh :roll: I haven't seen the performance, but I HIGHLY doubt he whipped out his willy and started wanking onstage or something. Prudish people are just reaching for any reason to punish/put him down for being a confident (sexy) openly, unapologetically gay man. The whole "but we must protect the children!" argument that parents use to suppress others' expression is almost always rubbish anyway, since it's usually the uptight adults who are the only uncomfortable ones in the first place. These whingeing adults just can't handle all the confusing new feelings that Olly's sexiness has stirred within them ;) #2hot2handle

JakeP wrote:LOL! :lol: I thought it was so funny but then again that news reported couldn't even pronounce Demi Lovato properly. Or at least in my head it sounded like he said "Dimmy Lovardo" and i also haven't heard of him. :lol: But gosh at that other girl saying "for her age". Do these young kids really think Ariana is still 16 or something just because she has a higher pitched voice? :lol: Kids aren't vicious, they're just stupid. :P :lol:
Ha, well, Ari could easily pass for younger than her actual age, so I guess that affects kids' impressions of her too. I still think that one girl they interviewed was DEFINITELY being deliberately shady by tacking on "for her age" after her "compliment," though :lol: #meangirls

JakeP wrote:Maroon 5 are one of those acts where i checked out their singles but i have very little interest in their albums. I liked What lovers do a lot whereas Girls like you is just ok for me. I thought What lovers do was relatively successful, not quite Moves like Jagger levels of world domination but still a hit in most countries.
Aw, I would've loved if that had been the case, though :lol: or at least as big as "Sugar." WLD even peaked below "Don't Wanna Know" in several markets :x Ah well, at least "Girls Like You" has gotten them back-on-track (charts-wise) after "Wait." :oops:

JakeP wrote:01 (NE) Florence + The Machine - Big god [1 wk] [#1] (1 wk @ #1)
02 (01) Loud Luxury featuring brando - Body [3 wks] [#1] (2 wks @ #1)
03 (NE) Martin Garrix featuring Khalid - Ocean [1 wk] [#3]
05 (NE) Kygo & Imagine Dragons - Born to be yours [1 wk] [#5]
07 (03) Clean Bandit featuring Demi Lovato - Solo [5 wks] [#1] (2 wks @ #1)
08 (05) George Ezra - Shotgun [5 wks] [#2]
09 (02) K-391 featuring Alan Walker, Julie Bergan & Seungri - Ignite [2 wks] [#2]
11 (07) Years & Years - If you’re over me [7 wks] [#4]
12 (09) Céline Dion - Ashes [8 wks] [#1] (2 wks @ #1)
13 (10) Ariana Grande - No tears left to cry [10 wks] [#1] (2 wks @ #1)
14 (12) 5 Seconds Of Summer - Youngblood [4 wks] [#12]
15 (NE) Demi Lovato - Sober [1 wk] [#15]
17 (11) Selena Gomez - Back to you [4 wks] [#11]
18 (NE) Evanescence featuring Lindsey Stirling - Hi-lo [1 wk] [#18]
19 (13) Christine And The Queens featuring Dâm-Funk - Damn, dis-moi [4 wks] [#9]
• I don't quite share your enthusiasm for Florence :oops: but the video is certainly a cool performance piece!
• I've been digging "Ocean." Fittingly for its title, it has this really soothing, cleansing effect. Feels like I'm just gently drifting along on open waters while I'm listening. Martin's so damn cute too. <3
• I'm still not completely sure what to make of "The Light Is Coming." There's definitely some catchy elements to it, but that repeating quote in the background does get pretty distracting. I'm all for acts trying to include some sort of political message/statement in their art, but I'm not clear exactly what her intent was with including that particular soundbite, or if it really needed to keep looping throughout the entire song to make her point. Overall, the track's an interesting, unexpected offering, for sure.
• I wasn't in a big rush to check out "Sober," since the Tell Me You Love Me era hasn't done much for me, but this one does have a pretty powerful emotional punch to it. Raw, honest - you definitely come away from it feeling for her.
• Damn, I totally jinxed "Back To You." :x :lol:

Yet another divine chart, Jake! :D
phoenix98
Legend

Postby JakeP » Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:36 am

Tansike wrote:Doing replies piece by piece paul-style now, as it’s easier that way IMO. Hope you don’t mind :)
Hey Tansike :D

Aww not at all, makes it easier to respond to each of your comments. :wink:

Tansike wrote:I get what you mean with calling “Dance To This” dull. Interestingly, I had the absolute same problem with his other singles this era, while “Dance To This” made a much better first impression on me, though it’s already starting to fade a bit and most likely won’t stick with me for too long now (until the album comes out, I guess).
Guess I really need to check out that video :o “No Tears” also is one of my faves, but the best video this year so far belongs to “This Is America” for me. “Ashes” is hilarious! :)
Oh, he had entries in 2014/2015, with “Happy Little Pill” (peak #19, 5 weeks on the charts), “Wild” (#18, 4 weeks) and “Talk Me Down” (#24, 8 weeks). It’s just that I wasn’t aware of him or his stuff right from the beginning, but once I checked “Happy Little Pill” out I quite liked it and since then I’m following him pretty closely, though he has yet to get a big hit on my charts.
That's the beauty of music, a song can impact people in different ways. It just so happens that the tracks from Troye i personally love are the ones you've not really taken to. Even Ariana couldn't make the song sound more interesting for me. :(

I know you don't really check out music videos in the same way i do but if you do get chance to watch Bloom, i'm sure you will love it. <3 I agree that the video for This is America is easily the most talked about of the year and gained so much attention...but the song itself isn't up to the same standard. I was picking videos where i also love the song. :P

Ahh ok i thought you meant this was his first time appearing in your chart. To be honest i only discovered who Troye was after Happy little pill was released. Before that i never followed him on YouTube. :oops:

Tansike wrote:Yeah, I’m also sad that it wasn’t able to reach #1 in the UK (and the US). It deserved it. I have high hopes for “Sweetener”, charts-wise and music-wise. 2018 could be an even better year for her than 2014.
Ariana is certainly a lot more popular now thanks to the way she handled the terror attack at her concert last year. Although i still thought No tears left to cry would be a global #1 but with Spotify nothing is guaranteed - especially when Drake exists. :lol: :roll: I believe God is a woman is getting released on the 20th July now so i'm hoping this song really is as amazing as Ariana claims. It also looks like Sweetener really is getting released in August now. :lol: I'm hoping the album will at least be as strong as Dangerous woman.

Tansike wrote:Which is very wise indeed! But thinking about it, focusing on his best markets would still include a proper push for “Seeing Blind” IMO, as Maren was very successful in the US so that would be like a win-win situation. The singles weren’t well picked after “Slow Hands” :(
Aww, i think Too much to ask is a gorgeous ballad, but sadly Niall never got any radio airplay so without that, a lot of people who are just casual music fans will have never heard the song. Radio can still have an influence on the charts, so its disappointing when they all end up playing the same songs as each other. That's why diversity in the charts is lacking so badly. :(

Tansike wrote:That’s amazing! I’m glad she has become such a ‘force’ on your charts as well, but also worldwide of course. I still remember the time when I was bopping to her debut album and she barely made the Hot100 with her single “Falling Down”, and then she released “Naturally” which slowly climbed up the charts and I freaked out how one of my faves was able to get a hit like this.. And now that she’s scoring Top10s/20s so easily i'm like 'mmmkay' :oops: :lol:
I love that feeling. :lol: It is so exciting when you discover a singer and you see them becoming such a popular artist. I also love when i discover a song, and then watch it start to grow in popularity all over the world.

Tansike wrote:Definitely! And great news for the upcoming (already posted) charts! How did Nicki’s latest singles do on your charts? I don’t remember seeing “Barbie Tingz” or “Chun-Li” here, and I have absolutely no idea how her last era did?
Her concert is taking place at the end of March 2019, so still nine months to go! Somehow it’s nice how concerts are announced so soon as you can plan around, on another side that’s also a negative thing as you never know what happens. For example, I bought two Ed Sheeran tickets last summer or fall for his upcoming Stadium tour which takes place on the 5th August in Switzerland, and back then I thought I’ll be able to go, and now I won’t be able. But it is how it is…
LOL neither of them made my chart. I'm really not into urban rap so songs like Barbie tingz and Chun-Li failed to resonate with me. Whereas Bed is a lot more "pop" by comparison and on first listen, i knew i was gonna enjoy this song so much more than the others. Nicki Minaj has had a number of songs that have been successful in my chart, but in most cases Nicki was the featured artist. :wink:

#1 Bang bang
#4 Side to side
#4 Bed
#6 Hey mama
#8 Bed of lies
#12 Swish swish
#15 Kissing strangers
#19 No broken hearts
#19 Run up
#20 Swalla

I hope you get the opportunity to see Nicki in concert next year. :D It would be amazing if Ariana Grande turned up to perform at the concert too. :P

Tansike wrote:Same! But as I said, it’s well deserved, because “Youngblood” is really good.
I can see Youngblood sticking around in my chart and possibly giving the guys their first top 10 single in my chart. Such a contrast their to their earlier singles which despite entering in the lower end of my top 20, they tended to drop out again very quickly.

Tansike wrote:Fingers crossed for Bebe, and as for “Born To Be Yours”, it will be interesting to see how this does in the long run for you as I feel like this will be quite a short living hit for myself… :oops:
Aww i thought you would love Born to be yours. It is looking set to hold up well in my new chart today also its competing against a couple of other tracks for a place in my top 5.

Tansike wrote:I’ll hear your #1 in two days – I’m excited! :P

Woah, great debut for “Ocean”. Didn’t see such a strong entry coming for them, but congrats. I really like the song, but overall I preferred “Scared To Be Lonely” or “In The Name Of Love”.

Very glad to see “Bed” getting a new peak this week, and I’m also happy to see Kygo & Imagine Dragons and Ariana Grande & Nicki Minaj just landing behind it with their new entries. Especially the latter is so addictive, I can’t get enough of it. Ari repeating the title of the song all the time just gets stuck in your head… and I’m glad it’s actually having such a great start on here, as many people seem to complain about it. But for me it’s definitely 2/2 (or 2.5/2.5 counting the snippet posted in her album topic).

Ah Demi… “Sober” was such a surprise release. The message is strong and I’m not too sure what to think about it. As a song, it’s just okay, but together with Demi’s history, her vocals, the lyrics… it’s really good. Somehow I just hope this is a simple song and doesn’t mean she got back to alcohol…

Amazing debut for “Hi-Lo”!! :D :cry: :cool:
This is already like Lindsey’s third or fourth appearance on your charts, so yay for that!! :D :D :D
I know you're not a big fan of Florence + The Machine so i'm not expecting you to love this in the same way i do. Again, the music video really enhances the song to a whole new level of epic. :lol: Plus it becomes Florence's first #1 in my chart. <3

Ocean is so lovely and soothing to listen to. A few others on UK Mix have compared the song to Silence and Scared to be lonely which is understandable. I still think its a really strong track and Martin Garrix has really come into his own as a producer and not just club bangers. There's a lot more substance in Martin's productions when he does these type of songs. <3

Bed got off to a flying start going in at #6 with just one day of airplay. It did incredibly to climb into the top 5 with a whole weeks worth of plays. It was just unlucky to come up against two other new releases i was loving even more. Even Kygo very nearly claimed #4 but Bed just managed to edge in front. 8-)

Sober also entered my chart after just one day so whilst #15 might look disappointing, it achieved a higher peak than the Evanescence track which i'd listened to earlier in the week. So Demi Lovato could be looking at an impressive second week climb especially since her live performance video was released.

Lindsey Stirling has collected a number of entries in my chart since 2015. Here's how things stand at this moment:

#8 Take flight
#13 Christmas c'mon
#16 Lost girls
#17 Something wild
#18 Hi-lo

:D
JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:25 pm

phoenix98 wrote:Hmmm...how about we use "flicker"? ;)
Mmm yes, that would be the perfect safe word. :lol: :P So...flicker? :wink:

phoenix98 wrote:As in no shots of tequila, or no shots of any kind period? They can be nifty when you don't enjoy the taste of alcohol, since they just go right down the hatch (with less time for the taste to linger). A friend of mine made some pretty tasty raspberry Jell-O shots over the weekend (though I tend to get a bit messy trying to slurp those down). :lol:

Swallowing for the sake of politeness, of course ;) (Or saving the spitting for when no one can see...)
No shots at all. :oops: It's like yesterday at work a group of us went out for lunch and when ordering our drinks, i said i'd have cola. One of the ladies said "but you've not driven into work, why don't you have a beer" and i just thought :roll: . I really don't like it when people start dictating what you should be drinking. :x

Oh but the burn? THE BURN?!!!! :lol: Maybe its all in my head but i just imagine a shot of anything like that would leave my throat feeling rough rather than warm. :oops: OMG raspberry jell-o shots sound amazing. :o 8-) I mean, who doesn't love jelly and ice cream? :lol: :P

Yes, i agree on the swallowing. Mmm tangy! :lol:

phoenix98 wrote:That's awesome! Basically, the public's finally caught up with tracks you've known were fabulous for a while already :lol: Based on the midweek data, George's chances are looking pretty good...?
It seems too good to be true and i doubt that will happen again for a long time. :lol: George Ezra has indeed made it all the way to #1 which is an incredible achievement. I also find George so much more attractive than the likes of Ed Sheeran and Sam Smith plus he's also got a great personality. What's not to love? :P

phoenix98 wrote: :o I'll have to pop 'round for a visit sometime, if it means I'll find you strutting about the house topless!
Kidding (but not kidding) aside, I've got a similar approach to shirtlessness. I never peel it off at any big city events, just pools/beaches/etc.
Who said anything about me just being topless when i'm home alone? :lol: :P But its one of those where i need to feel comfortable enough around others to consider taking my shirt off, so if its a guy i've known since school and we're chilling in the garden especially if i've seen him shirtless i would do the same. It really does depend on who i'm chilling with. :wink:

phoenix98 wrote:Sheesh :roll: I haven't seen the performance, but I HIGHLY doubt he whipped out his willy and started wanking onstage or something. Prudish people are just reaching for any reason to punish/put him down for being a confident (sexy) openly, unapologetically gay man. The whole "but we must protect the children!" argument that parents use to suppress others' expression is almost always rubbish anyway, since it's usually the uptight adults who are the only uncomfortable ones in the first place. These whingeing adults just can't handle all the confusing new feelings that Olly's sexiness has stirred within them ;) #2hot2handle
If i were at that concert and Olly started wanking on stage it would be too much for me to handle. I'd probably faint out of being so incredibly aroused that i got a really hot flush. :lol: I think you're right. BIB i think you could actually be correct here. Kids aren't judgemental at all, so i'm pretty sure if every young boy in the world saw two guys kissing, they wouldn't suddenly think "ohh, i loved that, i wanna do that". Sadly there will always be people who are homophobic and they aren't helping themselves because one of their own children might come out in their mid-late teens and then what? :(

phoenix98 wrote:Ha, well, Ari could easily pass for younger than her actual age, so I guess that affects kids' impressions of her too. I still think that one girl they interviewed was DEFINITELY being deliberately shady by tacking on "for her age" after her "compliment," though :lol: #meangirls
Oh i totally agree and i suspect many young kids probably do think Ariana is 16 years old. As for that young girl, if that's how shady she is at the tender age of 8 or 9, can you imagine what she's gonna be like in another 10 years from now. :o :-? :x

phoenix98 wrote:Aw, I would've loved if that had been the case, though :lol: or at least as big as "Sugar." WLD even peaked below "Don't Wanna Know" in several markets :x Ah well, at least "Girls Like You" has gotten them back-on-track (charts-wise) after "Wait." :oops:
Maybe its the Cardi B impact that is making Girls like you so much more successful. I do like the song but its not Maroon 5 at their best. But with the whole #Metoo movement taking place this year, having all those famous women in the video might also be helping with its success.

phoenix98 wrote:• I don't quite share your enthusiasm for Florence :oops: but the video is certainly a cool performance piece!
• I've been digging "Ocean." Fittingly for its title, it has this really soothing, cleansing effect. Feels like I'm just gently drifting along on open waters while I'm listening. Martin's so damn cute too. <3
• I'm still not completely sure what to make of "The Light Is Coming." There's definitely some catchy elements to it, but that repeating quote in the background does get pretty distracting. I'm all for acts trying to include some sort of political message/statement in their art, but I'm not clear exactly what her intent was with including that particular soundbite, or if it really needed to keep looping throughout the entire song to make her point. Overall, the track's an interesting, unexpected offering, for sure.
• I wasn't in a big rush to check out "Sober," since the Tell Me You Love Me era hasn't done much for me, but this one does have a pretty powerful emotional punch to it. Raw, honest - you definitely come away from it feeling for her.
• Damn, I totally jinxed "Back To You." :x :lol:

Yet another divine chart, Jake! :D
I know Florence is an acquired taste, but i've been a fan of Florence's since she started out about 8 years ago. I think her powerful vocals are incredible, plus she's so much more quirky and interesting as an artist.

Yes, i thought the same about Ocean and i still think this is going to slowly build up its momentum and popularity and become a hit in the long run. Martin Garrix is undoubtably fit. :D

I like The light is coming because its so unique and quirky sounding, and different to everything else that's in the charts. It's much more of an experimental song but i love its individuality and not chasing trends. I equally adore the lyric "the light is coming to give back everything the darkness stole" as a metaphor suggesting Ariana is the light and the bomb attack last year was the darkness that stole those innocent young victims' lives. :( I'm still unsure what the "don't let anybody speak" sample is supposed to be about. It's as if it's there for the sake of being there and doesn't hold any purpose. *shrugs*

Sober is single handedly better than all the tracks i've heard from Demi's last album. It got to #15 after 24 hours which shows how much impact it had on me, even if on paper it looks a little underwhelming. Sober is heading for a new peak quite comfortably in my new chart. :wink:

LOL yes you did. :P I think Selena has actually peaked indeed and i doubt Back to you will repeak now. I still like the song but many other songs have been getting more of my attention. That's pretty much what led to Selena dropping down last week.
JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:34 pm

JakeP Top 20 (30th June 2018)

ImageImageImageImageImage

01 (NE) Mylène Farmer featuring LP - N'oublie pas [1 wk] [#1] (1 wk @ #1)
02 (02) Loud Luxury featuring brando - Body [4 wks] [#1] (2 wks @ #1)
03 (01) Florence + The Machine - Big god [2 wks] [#1] (1 wk @ #1)
04 (15) Demi Lovato - Sober [2 wks] [#4]
05 (03) Martin Garrix featuring Khalid - Ocean [2 wks] [#3]
06 (05) Kygo & Imagine Dragons - Born to be yours [2 wks] [#5]
07 (04) Nicki Minaj featuring Ariana Grande - Bed [3 wks] [#4]
08 (09) K-391 featuring Alan Walker, Julie Bergan & Seungri - Ignite [3 wks] [#2]
09 (07) Clean Bandit featuring Demi Lovato - Solo [6 wks] [#1] (2 wks @ #1)
10 (08) George Ezra - Shotgun [6 wks] [#2]
11 (NE) Cheat Codes & Little Mix - Only you [1 wk] [#11]
12 (10) Troye Sivan - Bloom [9 wks] [#2]
13 (06) Ariana Grande featuring Nicki Minaj - The light is coming [2 wks] [#6]
14 (14) 5 Seconds Of Summer - Youngblood [5 wks] [#12]
15 (NE) Years & Years - All for you [1 wk] [#15]
16 (11) Years & Years - If you’re over me [8 wks] [#4]
17 (13) Ariana Grande - No tears left to cry [11 wks] [#1] (2 wks @ #1)
18 (NE) Years & Years - Palo santo [1 wk] [#18]
19 (12) Céline Dion - Ashes [9 wks] [#1] (2 wks @ #1)
20 (17) Selena Gomez - Back to you [5 wks] [#11]

The Hit Seeker

Billie Eilish & Khalid - lovely
JakeP
Manager

Postby heppolo » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:41 pm

01 (NE) Mylène Farmer featuring LP - N'oublie pas [1 wk] [#1] (1 wk @ #1)
Great #1, massive song.
Waffles are checked cookies
heppolo
Legend

Postby JakeP » Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:42 pm

heppolo wrote:01 (NE) Mylène Farmer featuring LP - N'oublie pas [1 wk] [#1] (1 wk @ #1)
Great #1, massive song.
Thanks heppolo :D

Yes, i was interested when i read on here that LP was going to be featured on the new Mylène Farmer single. For once, a song i was looking forward to hearing didn't disappoint on first play as is usually the case! :lol:

I love the breeziness and summer vibes of N'oublie pas whilst both Mylène and LP's vocals blend so well together plus the song has an amazing chorus and really well produced. <3 In an ideal world this would smash all over the world but alas i doubt that's going to happen. :(
JakeP
Manager

Postby phoenix98 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:30 pm

JakeP wrote:Mmm yes, that would be the perfect safe word. :lol: :P So...flicker? :wink:
Maybe we should go with "finally" or "free" now :lol: When I was mulling over Niall's potential next steps in here a while back (more Flicker singles, Flicker re-release, album #2), soundtrack singles actually hadn't crossed my mind, so that was a fun surprise to read!

JakeP wrote:No shots at all. :oops: It's like yesterday at work a group of us went out for lunch and when ordering our drinks, i said i'd have cola. One of the ladies said "but you've not driven into work, why don't you have a beer" and i just thought :roll: . I really don't like it when people start dictating what you should be drinking. :x
LOL, what? So their mentality is that the only reason NOT to drink in the middle of a workday is if you have to drive home after? :lol: I mean...it's kind of nice that your co-workers are cool with people having a drink during lunch, but it's definitely NOT cool to shame anyone who DOESN'T have a drink. Sheesh :roll: Maybe they just want you loosened up so they can take advantage of you...? ;)

JakeP wrote:It seems too good to be true and i doubt that will happen again for a long time. :lol: George Ezra has indeed made it all the way to #1 which is an incredible achievement. I also find George so much more attractive than the likes of Ed Sheeran and Sam Smith plus he's also got a great personality. What's not to love? :P
No argument there! Admittedly, Ed's voice/guitar skills/talent do lend him a certain sexy appeal...but if we're talking strictly physically, as if they were just three random men passing by on the street, George is the king of that lot - easily!

JakeP wrote:Who said anything about me just being topless when i'm home alone? :lol: :P But its one of those where i need to feel comfortable enough around others to consider taking my shirt off, so if its a guy i've known since school and we're chilling in the garden especially if i've seen him shirtless i would do the same. It really does depend on who i'm chilling with. :wink:
Ah, so what's the point in taking it off if no one's there to see, eh? ;) Basically: if he shows his, you'll show yours...? ;) ;) ;)

JakeP wrote:If i were at that concert and Olly started wanking on stage it would be too much for me to handle. I'd probably faint out of being so incredibly aroused that i got a really hot flush. :lol: I think you're right. BIB i think you could actually be correct here. Kids aren't judgemental at all, so i'm pretty sure if every young boy in the world saw two guys kissing, they wouldn't suddenly think "ohh, i loved that, i wanna do that". Sadly there will always be people who are homophobic and they aren't helping themselves because one of their own children might come out in their mid-late teens and then what? :(
Agreed :lol: (Or I'd shove my way to the front row and open wide...)

Ugh, exactly! It's such ridiculous, dangerous denial for parents to think that as long as they never show/mention anything gay in front of their kids, their kids will never be gay themselves. Instead of trying to "shield" their kids from "catching the gay" or whatever nonsense, these parents should be working on THEMSELVES in order to best support their kids once the kids realize whatever their identity may be. It drives me nuts, and breaks my heart, that same-sex couples have to jump through SO many damn hoops just to have a kid, while straight people - no matter how inept they may be as parents - simply need to NOT use a condom to create a whole (mistreated) brood for themselves.

JakeP wrote:Maybe its the Cardi B impact that is making Girls like you so much more successful. I do like the song but its not Maroon 5 at their best. But with the whole #Metoo movement taking place this year, having all those famous women in the video might also be helping with its success.
Yeah, I think they owe her big time for this one. It might've done slightly better than "Wait" if they'd just pushed the album version, since it's pretty catchy, but there's NO way it would've shot into the Top 20/10/5 in so many places without her presence on this new version (or someone else equally trendy, though a female guest was a smart call given the song's title/lyrics).

JakeP wrote:I know Florence is an acquired taste, but i've been a fan of Florence's since she started out about 8 years ago. I think her powerful vocals are incredible, plus she's so much more quirky and interesting as an artist.
**Nod** For sure. Even though I don't get much personal enjoyment from most of her material, she's certainly an intriguing, creative, respect-worthy artist.

JakeP wrote:Yes, i thought the same about Ocean and i still think this is going to slowly build up its momentum and popularity and become a hit in the long run. Martin Garrix is undoubtably fit. :D
Absolutely. 8-)

JakeP wrote:I like The light is coming because its so unique and quirky sounding, and different to everything else that's in the charts. It's much more of an experimental song but i love its individuality and not chasing trends. I equally adore the lyric "the light is coming to give back everything the darkness stole" as a metaphor suggesting Ariana is the light and the bomb attack last year was the darkness that stole those innocent young victims' lives. :( I'm still unsure what the "don't let anybody speak" sample is supposed to be about. It's as if it's there for the sake of being there and doesn't hold any purpose. *shrugs*
Yeah, it definitely holds a lot of personal revelance for her after that tragedy, while also being broad enough to apply to the current dark times people are facing in a lot of places :( It sounds like she won't be treating it as the second proper/official Sweetener single, but it makes a lot of sense to shine some light on that track right now - offer up some hope, resilience.

JakeP wrote:LOL yes you did. :P I think Selena has actually peaked indeed and i doubt Back to you will repeak now. I still like the song but many other songs have been getting more of my attention. That's pretty much what led to Selena dropping down last week.
Forgive me, Selena! :cry:

JakeP wrote:01 (NE) Mylène Farmer featuring LP - N'oublie pas [1 wk] [#1] (1 wk @ #1)
02 (02) Loud Luxury featuring brando - Body [4 wks] [#1] (2 wks @ #1)
08 (09) K-391 featuring Alan Walker, Julie Bergan & Seungri - Ignite [3 wks] [#2]
10 (08) George Ezra - Shotgun [6 wks] [#2]
11 (NE) Cheat Codes & Little Mix - Only you [1 wk] [#11]
• Ooh....LP hadn't crossed my mind in a hot minute, but she's served up a gorgeous (catchy) French-English collabo here :o I'll definitely be adding it to my library as soon as I'm done typing this!
• I guess I can't be too mad/disappointed, since LM are kind of just guests on "Only You," but it did turn out to be a pretty big bummer as our holdover offering until we get a proper new single from them. Even Cheat Codes have done way more for me in the past with "No Promises." I could live with "Only You" being heavily "Anywhere"-inspired, but it's not even nearly as catchy or moving as that gem. :-?
• "All For You," on the other hand, has me completely obsessed :lol: People don't seem too thrilled with their recent poppier offerings, but I think a mix of tunes like "If You're Over Me"/"All For You" and "Sanctify"/"Palo Santo" could make Palo Santo pretty perfect! The best of both worlds. I'd been looking forward to the album for a while, but these two latest tastes have me especially hyped now!

Yet another memorable chart, Jake! :D
phoenix98
Legend

Postby JakeP » Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:29 am

phoenix98 wrote:Maybe we should go with "finally" or "free" now :lol: When I was mulling over Niall's potential next steps in here a while back (more Flicker singles, Flicker re-release, album #2), soundtrack singles actually hadn't crossed my mind, so that was a fun surprise to read!
Let's go with "free" as its more suitable. :P Yes, i read it on Twitter and had an instant "OMG :D " moment and started its own single thread in the pop forum. I finally got a Niall thread to my name, even if it ends up plummeting within days! :lol: It's not exactly had the most rapid start on iTunes but these days very few songs become instant hits in 24 hours, so perhaps when Smallfoot opens in the cinemas in September, Finally free might start to become more of a hit by then. Here's hoping! :wink:

phoenix98 wrote:LOL, what? So their mentality is that the only reason NOT to drink in the middle of a workday is if you have to drive home after? :lol: I mean...it's kind of nice that your co-workers are cool with people having a drink during lunch, but it's definitely NOT cool to shame anyone who DOESN'T have a drink. Sheesh :roll: Maybe they just want you loosened up so they can take advantage of you...? ;)
Ohh no it wasn't like she was shaming me for ordering cola. :lol: One of the guys at work only drinks coffee as he's tee total and some of the others take the piss out of him. I really don't get it, does it really matter that much what other people drink when we go out for lunch? Some people are just shallow and pathetic. They need to take a closer look at their own lives instead. :oops: :lol:

That said, coffee with fish and chips is an odd combination. :o Not something i'd ever consider having together but each to their own. :P

phoenix98 wrote:No argument there! Admittedly, Ed's voice/guitar skills/talent do lend him a certain sexy appeal...but if we're talking strictly physically, as if they were just three random men passing by on the street, George is the king of that lot - easily!
There's no denying Ed's talent as a musician but it seems that as a songwriter, the claws are out. There was already a lawsuit settlement surrounding his track Photograph which had been based strongly around another song although i wasn't familiar with the other song. Now there's another case where Ed is being sued by Marvin Gaye's estate claiming his hit Thinking out loud is too similar to Let's get it on. I mean, i've listened to Thinking out loud a lot especially during its time in the chart and not once did i ever think to myself "ohh, this sounds like the Marvin Gaye song" but i guess once someone is incredibly famous and making a fortune there will always be someone on standby to try and bring them down. :roll: I'm just surprised there hasn't been a law suit yet for Perfecr because that is blatantly ripping off R Kelly's If i could turn back the hands of time.

Whereas with George Ezra, his original songs genuinely sound unique and not copying anyone else's music. I'm also delighted that Shotgun is #1 as the UK charts have finally got to the stage where amazing songs are topping the chart, instead of lazy music that only appeals exclusively to the Spotify generation. :lol:

Oh totally. George is so much more sexier out of the three. I don't see any sex appeal whatsoever in Ed or Sam. :oops:

phoenix98 wrote:Ah, so what's the point in taking it off if no one's there to see, eh? ;) Basically: if he shows his, you'll show yours...? ;) ;) ;)
Well, i like to be comfortable in my own home, yet alone my own skin. :P :wink: That's pretty much it.

phoenix98 wrote:Agreed :lol: (Or I'd shove my way to the front row and open wide...)

Ugh, exactly! It's such ridiculous, dangerous denial for parents to think that as long as they never show/mention anything gay in front of their kids, their kids will never be gay themselves. Instead of trying to "shield" their kids from "catching the gay" or whatever nonsense, these parents should be working on THEMSELVES in order to best support their kids once the kids realize whatever their identity may be. It drives me nuts, and breaks my heart, that same-sex couples have to jump through SO many damn hoops just to have a kid, while straight people - no matter how inept they may be as parents - simply need to NOT use a condom to create a whole (mistreated) brood for themselves.
LOL i'm sure you be the only one trying to get to the front to enjoy his milkshake. :lol: :wink:

I totally agree. There is only so much shielding parents can do. Once they start high school it's always a different ball(s) game. :wink: lol

phoenix98 wrote:Yeah, I think they owe her big time for this one. It might've done slightly better than "Wait" if they'd just pushed the album version, since it's pretty catchy, but there's NO way it would've shot into the Top 20/10/5 in so many places without her presence on this new version (or someone else equally trendy, though a female guest was a smart call given the song's title/lyrics).
Kudos to Cardi B as i read that she's become the first female rapper in american chart history to score two #1 singles. :o So baring that in mind, maybe in this instance it was more of a strategic move on Adam's behalf to get Cardi B involved. Fair play to them though, they know how to play the media to get a big hit but at the end of the day, it doesn't make me personally enjoy Girls like you more than i already do. It still remains good but nothing more than that.

phoenix98 wrote:**Nod** For sure. Even though I don't get much personal enjoyment from most of her material, she's certainly an intriguing, creative, respect-worthy artist.
I adore Florence's individuality. There really isn't any other female artist around quite like her, which makes Florence all the more refreshing. Such a shame that High as hope ended up being released the same week as Drake's Scorpion. I knew Drake would have the #1 album as a lot of his success this week has once again come from Spotify. Ironically i can quite easily apply your comment about personal enjoyment at Drake's music. I love songs with melodies, lush vocals and amazing choruses that i can sing or hum along to. Drake's music very rarely brings out any of those qualities that i look for in music. Granted, his lyrics can be very thought provoking but sadly its never backed up with a tune. :(

phoenix98 wrote:Absolutely. 8-)
Or alternatively... mmm nom nom :wink: I love how sexy Martin is whilst still having such an angelic face. <3

phoenix98 wrote:Yeah, it definitely holds a lot of personal revelance for her after that tragedy, while also being broad enough to apply to the current dark times people are facing in a lot of places :( It sounds like she won't be treating it as the second proper/official Sweetener single, but it makes a lot of sense to shine some light on that track right now - offer up some hope, resilience.
I get the impression the lacklustre performance on iTunes and Spotify may have pushed the record company into making this decision. Let's hope God is a woman truly delivers in a fortnights time. :D I agree if was best to get the song out now to keep some type of momentum going seeing as the album is now getting released in August despite me being convinced it was coming July 20th. :oops:

phoenix98 wrote:Forgive me, Selena! :cry:
Selena's been in contact. She's outraged. :cry: :P It's all good though. I left a message explaining if she releases an amazing song as her next single she could challenge for the top 5 again. Selena hasn't got back to me since. :oops:

phoenix98 wrote:• Ooh....LP hadn't crossed my mind in a hot minute, but she's served up a gorgeous (catchy) French-English collabo here :o I'll definitely be adding it to my library as soon as I'm done typing this!
• I guess I can't be too mad/disappointed, since LM are kind of just guests on "Only You," but it did turn out to be a pretty big bummer as our holdover offering until we get a proper new single from them. Even Cheat Codes have done way more for me in the past with "No Promises." I could live with "Only You" being heavily "Anywhere"-inspired, but it's not even nearly as catchy or moving as that gem. :-?
• "All For You," on the other hand, has me completely obsessed :lol: People don't seem too thrilled with their recent poppier offerings, but I think a mix of tunes like "If You're Over Me"/"All For You" and "Sanctify"/"Palo Santo" could make Palo Santo pretty perfect! The best of both worlds. I'd been looking forward to the album for a while, but these two latest tastes have me especially hyped now!

Yet another memorable chart, Jake! :D
As soon as i read that LP was collaborating with Mylène Farmer i was definitely interested in hearing their track. Thankfully N'oublie pas didn't disappoint and i love the mix of french and english, gives the song that continental twist. Plus its immensely catchy and they both sound fantastic together. <3 It provides LP with her third #1 in my chart whilst Mylène gets her first chart topper after a number of low top 20 entries over the last couple of years. I really can't explain it but there is something so romantic about listening to songs performed in french. Look forward to seeing N'oublie pas in your chart. :P

Only you is a decent song but what lets the song down for me is the Cheat Codes production as they've basically tried to recreate Rita Ora's Anywhere and the "drop" is the worst part of the song which taints the song imo. I would've been more impressed if they'd been more daring and given the song a whole new approach because the song itself is great. It could've been so much more though. It's just like Little Mix's track Dear lover from the re-release of Glory days. Loved the verses, thought the chorus had potential but could've been better and hated the "drop". I wish producers would get over including "drops" in songs as it's got to a point where most of the time they're so meaningless and pointless they end up destroying the flow of a song. :evil: :x

I was a bit late to the Palo santo party and only properly listened to its title track and All for you towards the end of the week so whilst they made the top 20, they were late additions. As it stands, Palo santo is looking set for a big climb this week as i've found myself listening to this moreso than All for you. I'm hoping the album tracks will be on YouTube as i'm hoping to check this album out over the weekend. :wink:
JakeP
Manager

Postby Tansike » Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:49 am

JakeP wrote:That's the beauty of music, a song can impact people in different ways. It just so happens that the tracks from Troye i personally love are the ones you've not really taken to. Even Ariana couldn't make the song sound more interesting for me. :(

I know you don't really check out music videos in the same way i do but if you do get chance to watch Bloom, i'm sure you will love it. <3 I agree that the video for This is America is easily the most talked about of the year and gained so much attention...but the song itself isn't up to the same standard. I was picking videos where i also love the song. :P
True. And yeah, that’s interesting, as our tastes are often similar. But maybe it will change once his album comes out? Because to be honest with you, I didn’t spend much time so far to get into the singles, except “My My My” as the very first track of this project and “Dance To This” due to the Ariana feature.

Ok, thanks, just put it onto my to-do list!
Ah… :P

JakeP wrote:Ariana is certainly a lot more popular now thanks to the way she handled the terror attack at her concert last year. Although i still thought No tears left to cry would be a global #1 but with Spotify nothing is guaranteed - especially when Drake exists. :lol: :roll: I believe God is a woman is getting released on the 20th July now so i'm hoping this song really is as amazing as Ariana claims. It also looks like Sweetener really is getting released in August now. :lol: I'm hoping the album will at least be as strong as Dangerous woman.
True! I guess she would have been number one in the UK and the US during the ‘good old times’ when iTunes still was stronger. It’s crazy how things changed completely in just a few years, going from physical only to digital only and now digital sales are on a rapid decline as well.
Yes, “God Is A Woman” is next, only two more weeks to go and I’m freaking excited! The last time we were gifted with “Into You” and “Break Free” as official second singles, which ended up as the highlights of both albums for me, so I’m really looking forward to hear “God Is A Woman”. And yeah, album is coming in August now. If that would have been clear right from the beginning it would have been too far away, but now it’s only a month and a half to go…

JakeP wrote:Aww, i think Too much to ask is a gorgeous ballad, but sadly Niall never got any radio airplay so without that, a lot of people who are just casual music fans will have never heard the song. Radio can still have an influence on the charts, so its disappointing when they all end up playing the same songs as each other. That's why diversity in the charts is lacking so badly. :(
It definitely is, but I think it wasn’t the best choice as a single. But it was nice that he tried a ballad out for a single, a shame it didn’t really work out for him. There’s definitely some kind of battle there… like, if he picked another uptempo song as the third single, I’m sure he would have gotten more airplay than for “Too Much To Ask”, but that one was probably the better choice artistically…

JakeP wrote:I love that feeling. :lol: It is so exciting when you discover a singer and you see them becoming such a popular artist. I also love when i discover a song, and then watch it start to grow in popularity all over the world.
Yes! :) Ah yeah, and you’re still pretty good at discovering hits :wink: I was surprised when I saw your #1 from a week ago (Loud Luxury) debuting on the Swiss Singles Charts on Sunday :)

JakeP wrote:LOL neither of them made my chart. I'm really not into urban rap so songs like Barbie tingz and Chun-Li failed to resonate with me. Whereas Bed is a lot more "pop" by comparison and on first listen, i knew i was gonna enjoy this song so much more than the others. Nicki Minaj has had a number of songs that have been successful in my chart, but in most cases Nicki was the featured artist. :wink:

#1 Bang bang
#4 Side to side
#4 Bed
#6 Hey mama
#8 Bed of lies
#12 Swish swish
#15 Kissing strangers
#19 No broken hearts
#19 Run up
#20 Swalla

I hope you get the opportunity to see Nicki in concert next year. :D It would be amazing if Ariana Grande turned up to perform at the concert too. :P
Ok, good to know that I didn’t overlook them :lol: :oops:
Thanks for posting her discography, really interesting to see this. So “Bed” is actually only the second time she’s getting an entry as a lead artist, following “Bed Of Lies”! :o So you never were a big fan of hers judging from these performance, right?
What about “Starships”? I guess that one doesn’t appear in her discography as it was released before you started compiling your own charts?

JakeP wrote:I can see Youngblood sticking around in my chart and possibly giving the guys their first top 10 single in my chart. Such a contrast their to their earlier singles which despite entering in the lower end of my top 20, they tended to drop out again very quickly.
It’s a very similar case on every country’s chart at the moment. Most of their songs left the charts quickly, but “Youngblood” even improves week by week, which is nice to see.

JakeP wrote:Aww i thought you would love Born to be yours. It is looking set to hold up well in my new chart today also its competing against a couple of other tracks for a place in my top 5.
I do like it, but considering it’s Imagine Dragons and Kygo it’s weaker than I hoped for.

JakeP wrote:I know you're not a big fan of Florence + The Machine so i'm not expecting you to love this in the same way i do. Again, the music video really enhances the song to a whole new level of epic. :lol: Plus it becomes Florence's first #1 in my chart. <3

Ocean is so lovely and soothing to listen to. A few others on UK Mix have compared the song to Silence and Scared to be lonely which is understandable. I still think its a really strong track and Martin Garrix has really come into his own as a producer and not just club bangers. There's a lot more substance in Martin's productions when he does these type of songs. <3

Bed got off to a flying start going in at #6 with just one day of airplay. It did incredibly to climb into the top 5 with a whole weeks worth of plays. It was just unlucky to come up against two other new releases i was loving even more. Even Kygo very nearly claimed #4 but Bed just managed to edge in front. 8-)

Sober also entered my chart after just one day so whilst #15 might look disappointing, it achieved a higher peak than the Evanescence track which i'd listened to earlier in the week. So Demi Lovato could be looking at an impressive second week climb especially since her live performance video was released.

Lindsey Stirling has collected a number of entries in my chart since 2015. Here's how things stand at this moment:

#8 Take flight
#13 Christmas c'mon
#16 Lost girls
#17 Something wild
#18 Hi-lo

:D
So, music videos really have a big influence on your charts, which is nice! I’ve heard Florence’ new album three or four times so far and I’m really enjoying it, but more as a whole, there’s no standout for me so far. But I’m pleasantly surprised! Ah wow, her first #1? I thought she already reached the top spot on your charts with another entry, since I knew you’re quite a fan :o Not even “Spectrum”?

I can definitely see what you, Akini & Paul see in “Ocean”. Interestingly, just when I started to write this part about “Ocean” I was listening to it and thought ‘yeah, it’s really soothing and lovely to listen to’. Absolutely agree when it comes to Martin’s music, “Animals” & Co. were never for me, but these new songs are actually really, really good and it happens that I’m already looking forward to his upcoming projects.

Glad "Bed" got such a good start, now i'm even more happy knowing Nicki's discography on your charts. It's definitely her best release in years.
I saw that "Sober" live video as you posted it in the single topic, didn't you? And wow, the emotions! :cry:

Woah, great discography for Lindsey so far! I completely forgot how well "Take Flight" did - definitely a deserved Top10 entry for her, as it's also my favorite of the ones which made it onto your charts and it's even inside my personal Top3 from her overall <3

JakeP wrote:01 (NE) Mylène Farmer featuring LP - N'oublie pas [1 wk] [#1] (1 wk @ #1)
03 (01) Florence + The Machine - Big god [2 wks] [#1] (1 wk @ #1)

The Hit Seeker
Billie Eilish & Khalid - lovely
Wow - didn't see that top debut for "N'oublie pas" coming :o I guess i need to give it another chance, as it didn't make the best impression on me and i was even disappointed after loving LP's last album and Mylene also has some great songs in her discography. I know LP was huge on your charts, but what about Mylene? Is this her very first notation here?

Fantastic jump for "Sober" <3
Also loving these appearances for Years & Years. Their new album is really good, i'm already on my seventh spin since yesterday :oops: And i have to say the title track is even my favorite song so far, it's just sooo good. I feel like they picked the wrong singles, especially "If You're Over Me", but it's still a nice song and i'm glad they're having such a hit with it in the UK.

Very interested to see where "lovely" lands next week (or better said later today :P ). It's so haunting and i'm currently really, really liking it.
Tansike
Legend

Postby JakeP » Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:23 pm

Tansike wrote:True. And yeah, that’s interesting, as our tastes are often similar. But maybe it will change once his album comes out? Because to be honest with you, I didn’t spend much time so far to get into the singles, except “My My My” as the very first track of this project and “Dance To This” due to the Ariana feature.

Ok, thanks, just put it onto my to-do list!
Ah… :P
I guess there is always going to be those rare moments where our tastes differ regarding how a song can impact us in different ways. I know you've said that when an artist scores a big hit in your chart it's easier for them to get a second/third/fourth etc. For me, the song is more important than the artist sometimes. So someone who i truly love like Adele could release a new song, and if i just didn't like it at all, it simply wouldn't enter my chart. I wouldn't enter a song just because it's Adele. :oops: I love Rihanna but i really struggled to enjoy Work so it failed to make my chart.

I fully expect a review of the Bloom music video where you talk about how every look had you slayed. :lol: 8-)

Tansike wrote:True! I guess she would have been number one in the UK and the US during the ‘good old times’ when iTunes still was stronger. It’s crazy how things changed completely in just a few years, going from physical only to digital only and now digital sales are on a rapid decline as well.
Yes, “God Is A Woman” is next, only two more weeks to go and I’m freaking excited! The last time we were gifted with “Into You” and “Break Free” as official second singles, which ended up as the highlights of both albums for me, so I’m really looking forward to hear “God Is A Woman”. And yeah, album is coming in August now. If that would have been clear right from the beginning it would have been too far away, but now it’s only a month and a half to go…
Oh i'm sure if the charts were still dominated by iTunes we might've seen many more songs getting to #1 that have suffered thanks to Spotify. It's crazy but also a shame how the charts went from exciting to follow to boring and slow in the last two years.

I really want God is a woman to be a major highlight. Since 2016 each time i've been excited about a new single it's often led to disappointment. I hope this won't be another of those cases. :( Into you and Break free were two of Ariana's biggest singles in my chart. This era has already got off to a flying start thanks mainly to the amazing No tears left to cry.

Tansike wrote:It definitely is, but I think it wasn’t the best choice as a single. But it was nice that he tried a ballad out for a single, a shame it didn’t really work out for him. There’s definitely some kind of battle there… like, if he picked another uptempo song as the third single, I’m sure he would have gotten more airplay than for “Too Much To Ask”, but that one was probably the better choice artistically…
Slow hands became such a curveball as its probably the song i suspect Niall would've expected to become such a big chart hit and pop radio staple. I'm sure he once said in an interview that Slow hands was one of the last tracks recorded for the album. Still surprised Seeing blind was never pushed and that we only ended up getting an acoustic performance on YouTube. But i do think Niall has built his foundation and people now know what type of artist Niall is, so i'd love to think that whenever Niall releases his second album, the level of success could be taken up a notch. :D

Tansike wrote:Yes! :) Ah yeah, and you’re still pretty good at discovering hits :wink: I was surprised when I saw your #1 from a week ago (Loud Luxury) debuting on the Swiss Singles Charts on Sunday :)
OMG! :o Where did Loud Luxury enter in the Switzerland charts? :D It would be fabulous it Body became the big european hit of the late summer. :P

Tansike wrote:Ok, good to know that I didn’t overlook them :lol: :oops:
Thanks for posting her discography, really interesting to see this. So “Bed” is actually only the second time she’s getting an entry as a lead artist, following “Bed Of Lies”! :o So you never were a big fan of hers judging from these performance, right?
What about “Starships”? I guess that one doesn’t appear in her discography as it was released before you started compiling your own charts?
LOL i suppose Bed is only Nicki's second entry as lead artist. :lol: It's not much that i'm not a fan of Nicki, but more me not being a fan of that harsh urban sound. It's also the reason why i never got the love for Bodak yellow last year.

Ahh now i loved Starships but that was around the time when everyone was doing euro-dance inspired pop music and i was loving all those big party anthem style songs. Yes, it was released in 2012 so i only started compiling my own chart in the summer of 2013. :wink:

Tansike wrote:It’s a very similar case on every country’s chart at the moment. Most of their songs left the charts quickly, but “Youngblood” even improves week by week, which is nice to see.
It's impressive to see. How is Youngblood doing in Switzerland?

Tansike wrote:I do like it, but considering it’s Imagine Dragons and Kygo it’s weaker than I hoped for.
Aww i think its such a joyous uplifting dance track. I also admire how Kygo gave the song a bit of an Avicii flavour too as if he was paying homage. <3

Tansike wrote:So, music videos really have a big influence on your charts, which is nice! I’ve heard Florence’ new album three or four times so far and I’m really enjoying it, but more as a whole, there’s no standout for me so far. But I’m pleasantly surprised! Ah wow, her first #1? I thought she already reached the top spot on your charts with another entry, since I knew you’re quite a fan :o Not even “Spectrum”?

I can definitely see what you, Akini & Paul see in “Ocean”. Interestingly, just when I started to write this part about “Ocean” I was listening to it and thought ‘yeah, it’s really soothing and lovely to listen to’. Absolutely agree when it comes to Martin’s music, “Animals” & Co. were never for me, but these new songs are actually really, really good and it happens that I’m already looking forward to his upcoming projects.

Glad "Bed" got such a good start, now i'm even more happy knowing Nicki's discography on your charts. It's definitely her best release in years.
I saw that "Sober" live video as you posted it in the single topic, didn't you? And wow, the emotions! :cry:

Woah, great discography for Lindsey so far! I completely forgot how well "Take Flight" did - definitely a deserved Top10 entry for her, as it's also my favorite of the ones which made it onto your charts and it's even inside my personal Top3 from her overall <3
LOL yes, music videos have always had a big impact on my chart dating right back to the week when Katy Perry released the music video to Roar which led the song to storm into my chart at #1, and that is nearly 5 years ago! :o As for Florence + The Machine, i'm really pleased that you're enjoying the album. I haven't had chance to check out High as hope yet but hope to have a listen possibly tomorrow, assuming the songs are on YouTube. :P Ohh i loved Spectrum especially the Calvin Harris remix but again this was before i started my own chart.

It's funny to think Martin Garrix can go from Animals to Ocean in 5 years. I doubt Martin would've ever contemplated creating a song quite like Ocean five years ago. But this shows how much he's matured as both a dj and producer. If Martin continues down this route of heartfelt dance music, his next project could be something spectacular. <3

Bed is definitely one of Nicki's best for a long while. Although that said i'm surprised it's failed to really take off on Spotify. I'd have thought a song like this would've proved a lot more popular than it appears to be right now. Demi's live performance for Sober is so raw, touching and heartfelt i totally got the emotional impact when i watched that music video. I love Demi at her most understated as those songs tends to really soar. It's when she's in full on belt it out loud mode that i think Demi tends to oversing songs to the point they sound quite unpleasant to listen to. :(

I knew you would be happy seeing Lindsey's chart history.

Tansike wrote:Wow - didn't see that top debut for "N'oublie pas" coming :o I guess i need to give it another chance, as it didn't make the best impression on me and i was even disappointed after loving LP's last album and Mylene also has some great songs in her discography. I know LP was huge on your charts, but what about Mylene? Is this her very first notation here?

Fantastic jump for "Sober" <3
Also loving these appearances for Years & Years. Their new album is really good, i'm already on my seventh spin since yesterday :oops: And i have to say the title track is even my favorite song so far, it's just sooo good. I feel like they picked the wrong singles, especially "If You're Over Me", but it's still a nice song and i'm glad they're having such a hit with it in the UK.

Very interested to see where "lovely" lands next week (or better said later today :P ). It's so haunting and i'm currently really, really liking it.
Haha i like to be unpredictable every now and again. :wink: I was eager to hear N'oublie pas and i knew on first listen it was the makings of a big song. Personally i think its such a great collaboration, and between two artists who i would never have thought of putting together but it just works so wonderfully. <3 This is Mylène's chart history:

#1 N'oublie pas
#19 Stolen car
#20 Rolling stone

The two tracks from Years & Years were last minute additions to the chart based mainly on checking out the songs last Friday night. Expect a big climb for Palo santo as i've been listening to this quite a few times throughout this past week. I hope to check out the album as well over the weekend. :D

lovely is another of those gorgeous chilled and incredibly relaxing songs. The Khalid effect is so strong at the moment with this and Ocean already doing really well.
JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:47 pm

JakeP Top 20 (7th July 2018)

ImageImageImageImageImage

01 (NE) Niall Horan - Finally free [1 wk] [#1] (1 wk @ #1)
02 (02) Loud Luxury featuring brando - Body [5 wks] [#1] (2 wks @ #1)
03 (18) Years & Years - Palo santo [2 wks] [#3]
04 (01) Mylène Farmer featuring LP - N'oublie pas [2 wks] [#1] (1 wk @ #1)
05 (05) Martin Garrix featuring Khalid - Ocean [3 wks] [#3]
06 (03) Florence + The Machine - Big god [3 wks] [#1] (1 wk @ #1)
07 (04) Demi Lovato - Sober [3 wks] [#4]
08 (06) Kygo & Imagine Dragons - Born to be yours [3 wks] [#5]
09 (10) George Ezra - Shotgun [7 wks] [#2]
10 (14) 5 Seconds Of Summer - Youngblood [6 wks] [#10]
11 (15) Years & Years - All for you [2 wks] [#11]
12 (07) Nicki Minaj featuring Ariana Grande - Bed [4 wks] [#4]
13 (09) Clean Bandit featuring Demi Lovato - Solo [7 wks] [#1] (2 wks @ #1)
14 (08) K-391 featuring Alan Walker, Julie Bergan & Seungri - Ignite [4 wks] [#2]
15 (17) Ariana Grande - No tears left to cry [12 wks] [#1] (2 wks @ #1)
16 (NE) Billie Eilish & Khalid - lovely [1 wk] [#16]
17 (12) Troye Sivan - Bloom [10 wks] [#2]
18 (16) Years & Years - If you’re over me [9 wks] [#4]
19 (19) Céline Dion - Ashes [10 wks] [#1] (2 wks @ #1)
20 (13) Ariana Grande featuring Nicki Minaj - The light is coming [3 wks] [#6]

The Hit Seeker

Drake featuring Michael Jackson - Don’t matter to me
JakeP
Manager

Postby RayRay » Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:03 am

Shame to see Mylene Farmer drop from #1 the week she rises to the top spot in my list.
RayRay
Legend

Postby heppolo » Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:21 am

This turned out to be so huge for George. A nice song, by the way.
Waffles are checked cookies
heppolo
Legend

Postby JakeP » Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:55 pm

RayRay wrote:Shame to see Mylene Farmer drop from #1 the week she rises to the top spot in my list.
Thanks Ray :D

Sadly Mylène & LP suffered mainly due to me not getting chance to listen to music as much i usually do each week. In the end they had to make do with #4 whilst Body and Palo santo racked up a few more plays each.

Niall Horan took full advantage to received enough plays on Friday of his new track to debut at #1. I guess the anticipation levels were already high anyways plus i ended up loving the song from the first play which really helped too. :D
JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:58 pm

heppolo wrote:09 (10) George Ezra - Shotgun [7 wks] [#2]
This turned out to be so huge for George. A nice song, by the way.
Thanks heppolo :D

I'm delighted for George that he's managed to reverse his initial fortunes so amazingly. It still seems surprising that Don't matter now didn't really connect with people last year. But then the OCC tweaked the UK chart rules so perhaps if the song was released this year it would've been more successful. A case of coming up against Spotify dominance and bad timing.
JakeP
Manager

Postby JSparksFan » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:34 am

Niall's new song is lukewarm for me. It's kinda sweet, but still unforgivably basic.

I am super pleased to see "Palo Santo" leap to #3, and the Mylène/LP song is gorgeous; I have to thank RayRay for introducing it to me through his chart.

I actually checked out the 5 Seconds of Summer album purely because it beat Jay-Z/Beyoncè to the #1 post, and it was better than I expected. "Youngblood" was probably the best song on it.

Franklin’s music profoundly touched and changed the world, because over and over it offered that bridge to salvation, to freedom.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JakeP » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:08 pm

JSparksFan wrote:Niall's new song is lukewarm for me. It's kinda sweet, but still unforgivably basic.

I am super pleased to see "Palo Santo" leap to #3, and the Mylène/LP song is gorgeous; I have to thank RayRay for introducing it to me through his chart.

I actually checked out the 5 Seconds of Summer album purely because it beat Jay-Z/Beyoncè to the #1 post, and it was better than I expected. "Youngblood" was probably the best song on it.

Thanks Akini :D

Aww, each to their own. I wouldn't epxect everyone to love Niall's new single but i do think its both such a cute song and really uplifting and anthemic sounding.

Years & Years got quite a boost for Palo santo which could've even been a high new entry but got enough plays on the previous Friday to make its presence known. :P Sadly i've still not had chance to check out the new album but i'm reading many positive comments so i'm definitely intrigued in checking it out.

So happy you were introduced to Mylène Farmer & LP's track via RayRay's chart. It is such a wonderful song and despite a fairly harsh drop N'oublie pas should stabilise nicely in my next chart. :wink:

Ohh cool i have to admit whilst i'm enjoying Youngblood i've not had as much desire to check out their album tracks. Which album tracks are your personal highlights?
JakeP
Manager

Postby SummerPeur » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:41 am

One of Demi's weaker songs tbh - no surprise it's already on the way out.

This can stop here now :lol: . I do not get the huge following for this!

Potentially the last week for Bloom :cry:
How about you Get the F*** Out.
SummerPeur
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:15 pm

JakeP wrote:Let's go with "free" as its more suitable. :P Yes, i read it on Twitter and had an instant "OMG :D " moment and started its own single thread in the pop forum. I finally got a Niall thread to my name, even if it ends up plummeting within days! :lol: It's not exactly had the most rapid start on iTunes but these days very few songs become instant hits in 24 hours, so perhaps when Smallfoot opens in the cinemas in September, Finally free might start to become more of a hit by then. Here's hoping! :wink:
**Fingers and toes crossed**

It can be tough when soundtrack singles are released so far ahead of the movie actually hitting theaters. Hopefully "Finally Free" will at least get a video to help draw attention to it in the meantime. It's too cute, catchy, and uplifting to go totally unnoticed! :x

JakeP wrote:Ohh no it wasn't like she was shaming me for ordering cola. :lol: One of the guys at work only drinks coffee as he's tee total and some of the others take the piss out of him. I really don't get it, does it really matter that much what other people drink when we go out for lunch? Some people are just shallow and pathetic. They need to take a closer look at their own lives instead. :oops: :lol:
Ha, I usually think I have a pretty good grasp on British slang/lingo, but I definitely had to look up "teetotal" :oops: Thanks for adding that one to my lexicon!

Any rate - I totally hear you about people's weirdly aggressive and/or defensive reactions when they encounter someone who abstains from alcohol. I've see something similar with vegetarians too, where people who aren't will almost immediately poke fun at/deride that choice in some way. It must tap into something to cause such an immediate, unpleasant reaction. Maybe it makes them feel a little guilty/uncomfortable about their own choices? I think people are also quick to see those who don't drink alcohol or eat meat as smug/elitist, so others will immediately try to "take them down a peg" or whatnot :x It's really sad and annoying - just makes those doing the attacking/mocking look petty and insecure. :roll:

JakeP wrote:There's no denying Ed's talent as a musician but it seems that as a songwriter, the claws are out. There was already a lawsuit settlement surrounding his track Photograph which had been based strongly around another song although i wasn't familiar with the other song. Now there's another case where Ed is being sued by Marvin Gaye's estate claiming his hit Thinking out loud is too similar to Let's get it on. I mean, i've listened to Thinking out loud a lot especially during its time in the chart and not once did i ever think to myself "ohh, this sounds like the Marvin Gaye song" but i guess once someone is incredibly famous and making a fortune there will always be someone on standby to try and bring them down. :roll: I'm just surprised there hasn't been a law suit yet for Perfecr because that is blatantly ripping off R Kelly's If i could turn back the hands of time.
Ah, yeah, I think "Photograph" was accused of being too similar to Matt Cardle's "Amazing."

It's tricky: on one hand, celebrities are certainly easy targets for totally frivolous lawsuits that just waste everyone's time - but I wouldn't want them to be above the law/getting away with plagiarism because of their status either. It seems like such a headache to be involved with these cases, figuring out where exactly to draw the line between being inspired by a song and plagiarizing it (or simply trying to prove that the artist/writers were even aware of the other song in the first place, especially if it's something more obscure...)

JakeP wrote:Well, i like to be comfortable in my own home, yet alone my own skin. :P :wink: That's pretty much it.
Amen to that! Sounds like the same philosophy that dear Olly Alexander has been adopting lately too - and that's a truly marvelous thing!

JakeP wrote:Or alternatively... mmm nom nom :wink: I love how sexy Martin is whilst still having such an angelic face. <3
UKMIX definitely needs a "drool" face for times like this... :o :oops: ;)

JakeP wrote:Selena's been in contact. She's outraged. :cry: :P It's all good though. I left a message explaining if she releases an amazing song as her next single she could challenge for the top 5 again. Selena hasn't got back to me since. :oops:
:lol: She must be busy on a mission to win you back! ;)

JakeP wrote:As soon as i read that LP was collaborating with Mylène Farmer i was definitely interested in hearing their track. Thankfully N'oublie pas didn't disappoint and i love the mix of french and english, gives the song that continental twist. Plus its immensely catchy and they both sound fantastic together. <3 It provides LP with her third #1 in my chart whilst Mylène gets her first chart topper after a number of low top 20 entries over the last couple of years. I really can't explain it but there is something so romantic about listening to songs performed in french. Look forward to seeing N'oublie pas in your chart. :P
"N'oublie Pas" has been my very first exposure to Mylène, so what were her biggest hits here previously/what else of hers would you recommend?

JakeP wrote:Only you is a decent song but what lets the song down for me is the Cheat Codes production as they've basically tried to recreate Rita Ora's Anywhere and the "drop" is the worst part of the song which taints the song imo. I would've been more impressed if they'd been more daring and given the song a whole new approach because the song itself is great. It could've been so much more though. It's just like Little Mix's track Dear lover from the re-release of Glory days. Loved the verses, thought the chorus had potential but could've been better and hated the "drop". I wish producers would get over including "drops" in songs as it's got to a point where most of the time they're so meaningless and pointless they end up destroying the flow of a song. :evil: :x
:lol: I don't think my disdain for drops is quite as strong as yours, but I pretty much just tune out until they're over. They feel like an intermission between the actual main show (aka the parts with lyrics/singing).

JakeP wrote:I was a bit late to the Palo santo party and only properly listened to its title track and All for you towards the end of the week so whilst they made the top 20, they were late additions. As it stands, Palo santo is looking set for a big climb this week as i've found myself listening to this moreso than All for you. I'm hoping the album tracks will be on YouTube as i'm hoping to check this album out over the weekend. :wink:
I second that, since I'd really love to see which tracks make the cut here (and exactly where they land...)

JakeP wrote:01 (NE) Niall Horan - Finally free [1 wk] [#1] (1 wk @ #1)
02 (02) Loud Luxury featuring brando - Body [5 wks] [#1] (2 wks @ #1)
14 (08) K-391 featuring Alan Walker, Julie Bergan & Seungri - Ignite [4 wks] [#2]
• Lovely to see Niall "finally" back on top ;) He was last at No. 1 with "Too Much To Ask" in the fall, right?
• Definitely diggin' that new Top 10 peak for "Youngblood."
• While "Palo Santo" sped WAY ahead, I'm glad that "All For You" managed to ascend a bit too! "Palo Santo" is now the highest-peaking entry from its album (so far), yeah?

Yet another liberating chart, Jake! :D
phoenix98
Legend

Postby JakeP » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:24 pm

SummerPeur wrote:
One of Demi's weaker songs tbh - no surprise it's already on the way out.

This can stop here now :lol: . I do not get the huge following for this!

Potentially the last week for Bloom :cry:
Thanks SummerPeur :D

I think Sober is a lovely song and its music video (live performance?) released two weeks ago really pulled on my heart strings leading to its rapid climb. But yes, Demi is pretty much guaranteed to drop again this coming Saturday.

I'm actually surprised at how popular Youngblood has become. I do think Spotify has played a vital part in this songs success across europe though, but it's easily the best song the guys have released to date. But yes, 5 Seconds Of Summer are pretty much guaranteed to drop again this coming Saturday. :P

Bloom has already had an incredible run in my chart and the music video remains one of the best i've seen all year. But yes, Troye is pretty much guaranteed to drop again this coming Saturday. :cry:
JakeP
Manager

Postby Tansike » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:00 pm

JakeP wrote:I guess there is always going to be those rare moments where our tastes differ regarding how a song can impact us in different ways. I know you've said that when an artist scores a big hit in your chart it's easier for them to get a second/third/fourth etc. For me, the song is more important than the artist sometimes. So someone who i truly love like Adele could release a new song, and if i just didn't like it at all, it simply wouldn't enter my chart. I wouldn't enter a song just because it's Adele. :oops: I love Rihanna but i really struggled to enjoy Work so it failed to make my chart.

I fully expect a review of the Bloom music video where you talk about how every look had you slayed. :lol: 8-)
True. And it’s good that there are songs which doesn’t click with me while they do with you and vice versa, even though we both like that artist. Hm, it depends, but yes, there are artists on my charts which can easily score top debuts even if the song isn’t as good as it usually should be to have a top debut. Lindsey Stirling, Tarja or Kerli are some of them, they usually get high debuts based on the name alone, so a songs performance can also be affected by how much I like an artist. But when I love an artist so much, I’m obviously biased anyway, so I like a song more even if I wouldn’t like that song if it’s sung by someone else – if that makes sense?!
“Work” is a great example for me as well. I mean, I never liked it that much, but it still made the Top20 on my charts (13-30-25-39-Out-RE 36-Out). That run looks awful for someone like Rihanna who was used to get smash by smash on my charts, but if “Work” was sung by someone else it wouldn’t even made an entry in the Top40.

So i finally checked out the video for "Bloom" & sorry for being honest now, but it left me absolutely unimpressed :oops: It's nice and not bad of course, but also nothing i'd watch again. I really expected (and hoped for) something impressive. But, the song made a much better impression on me than i remembered it. So i can see that one making a nice re-entry once the album drops.

JakeP wrote:Oh i'm sure if the charts were still dominated by iTunes we might've seen many more songs getting to #1 that have suffered thanks to Spotify. It's crazy but also a shame how the charts went from exciting to follow to boring and slow in the last two years.

I really want God is a woman to be a major highlight. Since 2016 each time i've been excited about a new single it's often led to disappointment. I hope this won't be another of those cases. :( Into you and Break free were two of Ariana's biggest singles in my chart. This era has already got off to a flying start thanks mainly to the amazing No tears left to cry.
Agree! The Swiss Charts is also not exciting at all. We had “Shape Of You” (14 weeks at #1), followed by “Despacito” (20 weeks at #1; new all-time-record!), followed by “Perfect” (20 weeks at #1, tied “Despacito” for the record) and now “079” by a Swiss artist (17 weeks at #1 so far). I’m glad a few countries have a rule which limits the amount of songs an artist can have on the charts, otherwise it would be even more boring… (yes, I’m looking at Drake right now)

Same! Fingers crossed – and it’s actually already coming tomorrow! Really excited to hear it. Interesting point, and you’re right, there were lots of ‘big’ new releases in the last few years and most of them disappointed… Lady Gaga, Katy Perry (well, that wasn’t the biggest disappointment, but still), Rihanna, Selena Gomez, Demi Lovato… :o But Ariana actually broke that curse with “No Tears”, don’t you think so too?

JakeP wrote:Slow hands became such a curveball as its probably the song i suspect Niall would've expected to become such a big chart hit and pop radio staple. I'm sure he once said in an interview that Slow hands was one of the last tracks recorded for the album. Still surprised Seeing blind was never pushed and that we only ended up getting an acoustic performance on YouTube. But i do think Niall has built his foundation and people now know what type of artist Niall is, so i'd love to think that whenever Niall releases his second album, the level of success could be taken up a notch. :D
Oh I didn’t know it was one of the last tracks – I thought it would be the other way, like, it was one of the first tracks and they tried to record the album around that as it sounded like the obvious hit. You’ve got a good point with ‘what type of artist Niall is’ as that’s pretty much clear and I think he’s the one from 1D who has got the best personality and has marketed himself the best possible way. People know what to expect when they see Niall, while that’s not really the case with the other boys. Zayn and Harry come close to that though.

JakeP wrote:OMG! :o Where did Loud Luxury enter in the Switzerland charts? :D It would be fabulous it Body became the big european hit of the late summer. :P
It entered the charts at #92 and moved up to #62 this week :)
Also, I had no idea, but I just discovered that it’s already a Top30 hit in Germany :o

JakeP wrote:LOL i suppose Bed is only Nicki's second entry as lead artist. :lol: It's not much that i'm not a fan of Nicki, but more me not being a fan of that harsh urban sound. It's also the reason why i never got the love for Bodak yellow last year.

Ahh now i loved Starships but that was around the time when everyone was doing euro-dance inspired pop music and i was loving all those big party anthem style songs. Yes, it was released in 2012 so i only started compiling my own chart in the summer of 2013. :wink:
Ah makes sense. I also prefer pop Nicki to be honest.

Glad to hear you also loved “Starships”! I think I’d still rank it as Nicki’s best single to date.

JakeP wrote:It's impressive to see. How is Youngblood doing in Switzerland?
It’s doing just okay over here… it peaked at #34 and moved 39-49 on the latest charts. But Switzerland was never one of their key markets, their previous biggest hit was “She Looks So Perfect” which peaked at #26 but left the charts after only two weeks.

JakeP wrote:LOL yes, music videos have always had a big impact on my chart dating right back to the week when Katy Perry released the music video to Roar which led the song to storm into my chart at #1, and that is nearly 5 years ago! :o As for Florence + The Machine, i'm really pleased that you're enjoying the album. I haven't had chance to check out High as hope yet but hope to have a listen possibly tomorrow, assuming the songs are on YouTube. :P Ohh i loved Spectrum especially the Calvin Harris remix but again this was before i started my own chart.

It's funny to think Martin Garrix can go from Animals to Ocean in 5 years. I doubt Martin would've ever contemplated creating a song quite like Ocean five years ago. But this shows how much he's matured as both a dj and producer. If Martin continues down this route of heartfelt dance music, his next project could be something spectacular. <3

Bed is definitely one of Nicki's best for a long while. Although that said i'm surprised it's failed to really take off on Spotify. I'd have thought a song like this would've proved a lot more popular than it appears to be right now. Demi's live performance for Sober is so raw, touching and heartfelt i totally got the emotional impact when i watched that music video. I love Demi at her most understated as those songs tends to really soar. It's when she's in full on belt it out loud mode that i think Demi tends to oversing songs to the point they sound quite unpleasant to listen to. :(

I knew you would be happy seeing Lindsey's chart history.
I love that! I mean, there was a time when video releases were such a huge event and back then they also had a big impact on me, so it’s good to see something like this still having an impact on someone, as I feel like music videos became much less popular than they used to be. The weirdest thing about this is, that despite videos having no significant effect on the charts anymore (at least that’s how I see it), they get as many views as never before on YouTube. Woah at “Roar” becoming five years old already :o

You say ‘assuming the songs are on YouTube’ – do you never check albums out in another way than YouTube? Like, don’t you use Spotify or Apple Music? If so, how do you consume music if I may ask?
Also, did you have the time to check out Florence’ album? :)
Plus… oops. I didn’t know “Spectrum” was that ‘old’ :oops:

I’m sure Martin’s early fans are screaming something like ‘he became generic’ or ‘too mainstream’ these days just like how it happened with David Guetta back in the days, but I’m completely here for that! :lol:

I thought the same when it comes to the Spotify performance of “Bed” :oops: I mean, it’s Nicki + Ariana and it’s a very good song. Agree about Demi!

JakeP wrote:Haha i like to be unpredictable every now and again. :wink: I was eager to hear N'oublie pas and i knew on first listen it was the makings of a big song. Personally i think its such a great collaboration, and between two artists who i would never have thought of putting together but it just works so wonderfully. <3 This is Mylène's chart history:

#1 N'oublie pas
#19 Stolen car
#20 Rolling stone

The two tracks from Years & Years were last minute additions to the chart based mainly on checking out the songs last Friday night. Expect a big climb for Palo santo as i've been listening to this quite a few times throughout this past week. I hope to check out the album as well over the weekend. :D

lovely is another of those gorgeous chilled and incredibly relaxing songs. The Khalid effect is so strong at the moment with this and Ocean already doing really well.
Oh, thanks for the discography, nice to see she actually already made it onto your charts with two of her recent songs. “Rolling Stone” also made a short appearance on mine. Have to admit I never heard “Stolen Car” though – it’s a collaboration with Sting or some other ‘known’ rock artist, right?

Good to hear this for “Palo Santo” <3

Definitely! Also, he has his collaboration with Shawn Mendes called “Youth” which is my most favorite track by Shawn ever, so Khalid has a great run at the moment.

JakeP wrote:01 (NE) Niall Horan - Finally free [1 wk] [#1] (1 wk @ #1)
16 (NE) Billie Eilish & Khalid - lovely [1 wk] [#16]
There are currently quite a lot of new songs and albums being released which is why i didn't check out Niall's track last week, but i just did now as it's your #1 and i'm pleasantly surprised! This definitely would have fit on "Flicker" as well. But "Seeing Blind" >>>

Love that big jump for "Palo Santo"! Still my favorite tune on their new album, which is amazing by the way! Definitely a pop highlight of the year so far <3 Have you already checked it out? If not, please do, as the album is full of fun pop tracks. "Rendezvous" and "Hypnotised" are my other two favorites.

Nice debut for "Lovely"... it's just so... lovely! :)

Quite amazed by how long "No Tears Left To Cry" is on your charts. Do you know which is the longest charting track ever on your charts? I think it's already not too common to make it past ten weeks, but i don't really remember a song which stayed on your charts for ages...
Tansike
Legend

Return to Personal Charts