JakeP Top 20

Moderators: JSparksFan, tdc2000, FreakyFlyBry

Postby cheapthrills » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:14 am

Look at that Em slayage :cry:
Vote for songs in the Summertime Madness Tournament!
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby Benjamin » Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:52 pm

02 (NE) Kesha - This is me [1 wk] [#2]
03 (03) Dua Lipa - Homesick [4 wks] [#1] (1 wk @ #1)
05 (04) Sigrid - Strangers [4 wks] [#2]
06 (06) Rita Ora - Anywhere [10 wks] [#1] (5 wks @ #1)
08 (09) Bebe Rexha featuring Florida Georgia Line - Meant to be [4 wks] [#6]
09 (11) P!nk - Beautiful trauma [8 wks] [#6]
10 (05) Eminem featuring Ed Sheeran - River [2 wks] [#5]
11 (12) Jax Jones featuring Ina Wroldsen - Breathe [4 wks] [#8]
14 (RE) Kendrick Lamar featuring Zacari - LOVE. [2 wks] [#9]
15 (RE) Eminem featuring Beyoncé - Walk on water [4 wks] [#2]
19 (18) Martin Garrix & David Guetta featuring Jamie Scott & Romy Dya - So far away [4 wks] [#9]

Woo for these! Especially 'Homesick' <3
Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby JakeP » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:53 pm

SummerPeur wrote:Not the biggest fan of MnM topping the chart.

Quite sad that Sigrid never manages to get that #1. Still #2 peak is good.

Hey Hey Hey - This has grown on me so much, so I’m glad to see it enter! Hopefully a potential top5 hit.
Aww, i've been impressed with the majority of Eminem's album. I'm actually glad it's more "pop" and commercial sounding as this is the type of r'n'b music i tend to prefer. :P Have you heard Like home? :wink:

Sigrid was unlucky but nonetheless, her longevity has been amazing. I'm still hoping that Strangers will become a successful hit in early 2018. :D

Well, i doubt Katy Perry will be climbing into my top 5. The music video has helped ignite more interest in the song itself, but i still don't consider Hey hey hey to be a classic pop track. It's good, but it's not great. :P
JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:55 pm

cheapthrills wrote:Look at that Em slayage :cry:
He sure is. Revival has so many great tracks and for me Like home and Need me are the two definitive highlights.

Which tracks on the album are your personal favourites?
JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:57 pm

Benjamin wrote:02 (NE) Kesha - This is me [1 wk] [#2]
11 (12) Jax Jones featuring Ina Wroldsen - Breathe [4 wks] [#8]
14 (RE) Kendrick Lamar featuring Zacari - LOVE. [2 wks] [#9]
19 (18) Martin Garrix & David Guetta featuring Jamie Scott & Romy Dya - So far away [4 wks] [#9]

Woo for these! Especially 'Homesick' <3
Thanks Ben :D

I adore Homesick, its such a gorgeous ballad. I can't believe it took me so long to finally hear this song. <3 I have to say i love how quickly Dua Lipa rocketed up to #1 in your chart. I wasn't expecting that type of instant impact. <3 8-)
JakeP
Manager

Postby Phoenixx » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:27 am

JakeP wrote:03 (03) Dua Lipa - Homesick [4 wks] [#1] (1 wk @ #1)
12 (08) Eminem featuring X Ambassadors - Bad husband [2 wks] [#8]
16 (NE) Katy Perry - Hey hey hey [1 wk] [#16]
20 (RE) Little Mix - Nothing else matters [6 wks] [#4]
Very happy to see Anywhere high on your chart! 8-) :wink:
Phoenixx
Purpose

Postby phoenix98 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:00 pm

JakeP wrote:LOL not exactly. :lol: The tv is usually taken over by my nieces and nephews so they watch what they want and the rest of us just sit around chatting. That said, i've always loved Home alone so if that movie is on, i'm tempted to watch even though i've seen it so many times before. :lol: Ohh bowling, that's what we used to play at my brothers house. :lol: I still remember the one year when we were all playing bowling on the Wii and out of everyone, it was my mum who got the most strikes. :o :lol: I can't even say it was beginners luck because each time it was her go, she got another strike. I also remember doing the keep fit thing where it guesses your age based on your results and it said i was something like 52 years old. :evil: Charming! :lol:
Home Alone is an awesome iconic pick! The Nightmare Before Christmas would definitely be up there for me too (I watched that one when I went home for Thanksgiving, since my friend's husband had never seen it before!) I remember loving The Santa Clause as a kid, but I haven't revisited it in maaaany years, so I'm not sure if I'd think as highly of it now :lol: Oh, and A Charlie Brown Christmas, of course!

Woah, props to your mum! Is she that good at regular bowling too? OUCH at it calling you 52, though :o I never knew Wii Fit could be such a shady b*tch...

JakeP wrote:Perfect symphony didn't quite have what it needed to push the song back into my top 20, but what i loved about Andrea Bocceli is that his singing doesn't sound like he's imitating another singer. Like how Ed Sheeran sounds like R Kelly, or how Beyonce sounds like she's about to burst into Ave Maria any second. Andrea provided the most original sounding vocals for the song.

Poor brave Rita. I still think Anywhere could've reached #1 with better tactics and timing. :cry:

That's true but when i found out that Ed Sheeran was releasing two new versions of Perfect, that cancelled out any excitement in the race for christmas #1.
Ha, true that. There's certainly no mistaking Andrea for anybody else on that track!

Ugh, YES! "Havana" was in its 4th or 5th week on top when it was blocking "Anywhere", right? Surely Rita's team could've come up with something to overcome that. "Anywhere (Acoustic)" ft. Ed Sheeran...? It was still exciting to see it perform as well as it did, but it would've really been something to watch it become her first No. 1 since IWNLYD!

Ah, fair point, so the race still wasn't exactly a nail-biter.

JakeP wrote:Record labels always will. :roll: Ahh yes, i'm sure that happened in the UK too which no doubt encouraged not to buy the album, but download the song illegally off the internet. I still blame the greedy nature of the music industry for the rise in illegal downloading.
For sure! The explosion of Napster in the late-90's/early-00's was definitely exacerbated by shady label sh*t (like making fewer and fewer songs available as physical singles here in the US.) Some people would've gone for the free illegal option no matter what, but the fact that people were left with the choice to either pay $10-15 to own 1 song they like or steal it for $0 pushed even more of them toward the latter.

JakeP wrote:That's what i'm dreading as so far Liam hasn't exactly delivered the goods imo. :P Whereas Rita Ora is coming off the back of her best single yet so it's like unbalanced scales. I don't know when the song is expected to be released but at a guess i'd say mid to late January 2018.

Oh wow, i did check out one of their songs earlier in the year but it didn't do much for me. :oops:
I was just reading an article that says it drops tomorrow, so we'll find out if Rita can redeem Liam soon enough! ;)

Ha, aw :( Thanks for at least giving them a chance, though! Who was the biggest Jakeboard superstar of 2017? Niall...?

JakeP wrote:I get the feeling they were solely released to help sell the album and the chances are all three of the new singles will be quickly forgotten about. Otherwise why not do a tour footage video for Is your love enough? instead of the year old Nothing else matters even if the latter is a much better song.
Yeah :-? I mean...I'm not exactly devastated, since I don't think any of the new tracks really scream "SMASH!", it's just really surprising to see them record these brand-new tracks and not push any of them (though maybe I'm just being impatient...)

JakeP wrote:LOL bro-country, so like that Body like a back road song? The type of country music that can only be described as "if The Chainsmokers did country music, it'd sound like this". :lol:
Ha, yeah, "Body Like A Back Road" would definitely fall into the same category :lol: (Though I much prefer BLABR to "Cruise.")

JakeP wrote:Yes, i noticed that too re; Need me but again, i think its a good move. P!nk's vocals on the track are insanely good, those notes in the chorus. :o :P Technically its P!nk featuring Eminem. This should've been on Beautiful trauma. Actually they should've scrapped Revenge completely and then released this as a single that was available on both albums. Maximise those download sales. :lol:
:o Brilliant! **Sigh** Yet another instance where labels REALLY should've been listening to you...

JakeP wrote:I actually like River quite a lot. I know i've been a bit shady on Ed Sheeran but thats what he gets for ripping off R Kelly and passing it off as an original song. :lol: At least the chorus to River sounds more original and less plagiaristic. :P Bebe Rexha could still recover yet once the album tracks domination starts to fade away.
Ha, you're certainly not the only one throwing shade Ed's way (especially after he was so inescapable throughout 2017) :lol: On first listen, his parts on "River" do sound really solid!

JakeP wrote:01 (01) Eminem featuring Alicia Keys - Like home [2 wks] [#1] (2 wks @ #1)
02 (NE) Kesha - This is me [1 wk] [#2]
04 (02) Eminem featuring P!nk - Need me [2 wks] [#2]
07 (07) Marina Kaye - Something [9 wks] [#1] (2 wks @ #1)
16 (NE) Katy Perry - Hey hey hey [1 wk] [#16]
20 (RE) Little Mix - Nothing else matters [6 wks] [#4]
• "This Is Me" definitely sounds download/add-worthy on first listen! Does it have what it takes to unseat Emicia, though? Or is it all downhill from here? A No. 2 debut does seem pretty promising...
• "Beautiful Trauma" has enjoyed a pretty steady second wind here: 10 - 8 - 6 - 7 - 11 - 9 - ? I finally added the full album to my library last Friday, and although there's some other worthwhile moments on there (mostly the ones that you were charting a while back, like "I Am Here" and "Where We Go"), I'd still call the title track my favorite of the bunch.
• Ah, there's that (appropriately minor) video effect for "Hey Hey Hey" ;) It won't be doing much for the song on my chart either...
• Ditto for "Nothing Else Matters", actually :lol: but you typically can't expect too much from a tour footage video anyway.

Yet another chart that makes me feel right at home, Jake! :D
phoenix98
Legend

Postby JakeP » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:23 pm

Phoenixx wrote:Very happy to see Anywhere high on your chart! 8-) :wink:
Thanks Phoenixx :D

Anywhere has been high on my chart since it entered. It really is an amazing pop song. <3 Has Rita Ora had any success in your chart recently?
JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:22 pm

Hello Mr Paul :D

phoenix98 wrote:Home Alone is an awesome iconic pick! The Nightmare Before Christmas would definitely be up there for me too (I watched that one when I went home for Thanksgiving, since my friend's husband had never seen it before!) I remember loving The Santa Clause as a kid, but I haven't revisited it in maaaany years, so I'm not sure if I'd think as highly of it now :lol: Oh, and A Charlie Brown Christmas, of course!
There are so many christmas movies aren't there? :lol: In the UK we even have a movie channel that's dedicated purely to just showing christmas themed films, and a lot of them are pretty good even though i've never heard of most of them before. :P

phoenix98 wrote:Woah, props to your mum! Is she that good at regular bowling too? OUCH at it calling you 52, though :o I never knew Wii Fit could be such a shady b*tch...
Yes. :x I remember when i was a teenager going to Blackpool for a holiday and we were to the pleasure beach one night. We were playing ten pin bowling there and mum got more strikes than anyone else. I thought it'd be beginners luck, but no...not at all. :lol: Let's not discuss how crap i was though :oops: Oh totally shady although i wasn't really prepared so i was just doing random movements really unsure and giggling my way through the whole. I did lol though when it doubled my age. :lol:

phoenix98 wrote:Ha, true that. There's certainly no mistaking Andrea for anybody else on that track!

Ugh, YES! "Havana" was in its 4th or 5th week on top when it was blocking "Anywhere", right? Surely Rita's team could've come up with something to overcome that. "Anywhere (Acoustic)" ft. Ed Sheeran...? It was still exciting to see it perform as well as it did, but it would've really been something to watch it become her first No. 1 since IWNLYD!

Ah, fair point, so the race still wasn't exactly a nail-biter.
I'm so surprised at how well all three versions are holding up on UK iTunes. All three versions are back inside the top 10 although i can't imagine actual sales are that high so perhaps they're just top 10 by default now that the christmas songs have all nosedived. It'll be interesting to see if any of tomorrows new releases can get a really big lead on iTunes and Spotify over the rest of the competition.

So yes, there was never a chart battle for christmas #1. I doubt Perfect will go on to become a christmas classic in years to come. I suspect the song may eventually become forgotten amongst all the classic christmas songs of yesteryear.

Yes! :( It was such a shame because Rita Ora had all the promo to make Anywhere a #1 hit, but it was bad timing as it co-incided with the release of Perfect duet. All that effort for nothing. :cry: Oh totally, i would've been ecstatic to have seen my favourite song at the time finally topping the UK charts but sadly it wasn't to be. I blame Spotify. :evil: Well, got to blame something! :lol: :P

phoenix98 wrote:For sure! The explosion of Napster in the late-90's/early-00's was definitely exacerbated by shady label sh*t (like making fewer and fewer songs available as physical singles here in the US.) Some people would've gone for the free illegal option no matter what, but the fact that people were left with the choice to either pay $10-15 to own 1 song they like or steal it for $0 pushed even more of them toward the latter.
The daft thing, and maybe its a pure co-incidence, but it always seemed to be gangster rap and US r'n'b crap that tended to be illegally downloaded years ago. Now, it seems like people who use Spotify are streaming the same type of songs. It really makes me question how much worth there really is in these songs? Young teens are happy to download US crap for free, or stream it on Spotify with their free account. Yet when it comes to actually purchasing these songs, teens aren't interested. This is another reason Spotify dictating the charts irritates me. :evil:

Then again the US charts have tended to be a bit of a joke. I think i once mentioned the global phenomenon PSY got to #2 in America with Gangnam style, kept off the top by a borderline good but nothing special single by Maroon 5. :roll: I got such a surprise when Tansike informed me about how No Doubt Don't speak never entered the US charts in the 90s because the song wasn't released as a single, yet the song was #1 on the airplay chart for months. It just makes no sense whatsoever. :lol: :-?

phoenix98 wrote:I was just reading an article that says it drops tomorrow, so we'll find out if Rita can redeem Liam soon enough! ;)

Ha, aw :( Thanks for at least giving them a chance, though! Who was the biggest Jakeboard superstar of 2017? Niall...?

I'm intrigued but i need to hear the whole song before i make any judgements. It should do well first week purely because its such a dry time for new music so i'd expect any form of new music to do well. Benefit from the lower sales period too. :wink:

Surprisingly not Niall. :o If we're talking which artist had the most chart entries, that honour actually goes to Lana Del Rey. She had 13 separate chart entries, one more than Eminem who scored 12 entries. Although if we're talking overall success then you'll have to follow my top 100 of 2017 for that answer. :P :wink:

phoenix98 wrote:Yeah :-? I mean...I'm not exactly devastated, since I don't think any of the new tracks really scream "SMASH!", it's just really surprising to see them record these brand-new tracks and not push any of them (though maybe I'm just being impatient...)
It does seem like a strange release strategy but maybe it will all make more sense within the next couple of months.

phoenix98 wrote:Ha, yeah, "Body Like A Back Road" would definitely fall into the same category :lol: (Though I much prefer BLABR to "Cruise.")

Ahh i've not even listened to Cruise so i wouldn't have a clue what my reaction to that song would be. I'll just stick to the trusted Meant to be for the time being. :wink:

phoenix98 wrote: :o Brilliant! **Sigh** Yet another instance where labels REALLY should've been listening to you...
My pr and marketing skills are wasted. :lol: The fact that nobody at either P!nk or Eminem's record label thought about this prospect speaks volumes. :P

phoenix98 wrote:Ha, you're certainly not the only one throwing shade Ed's way (especially after he was so inescapable throughout 2017) :lol: On first listen, his parts on "River" do sound really solid!
I suppose that's to be expected when someone becomes such an omnipresence, especially when that someone is male. I remember about 6 or 7 years ago Rihanna was inescapable but i was loving it. She just kept delivering anthems and bops and i was going along for the ride. :lol: Speaking of Rihanna, what i've also liked about River is how much it sounds like its been inspired from Love the way you lie, its almost like a sequel to that song production wise.

phoenix98 wrote:• "This Is Me" definitely sounds download/add-worthy on first listen! Does it have what it takes to unseat Emicia, though? Or is it all downhill from here? A No. 2 debut does seem pretty promising...
• "Beautiful Trauma" has enjoyed a pretty steady second wind here: 10 - 8 - 6 - 7 - 11 - 9 - ? I finally added the full album to my library last Friday, and although there's some other worthwhile moments on there (mostly the ones that you were charting a while back, like "I Am Here" and "Where We Go"), I'd still call the title track my favorite of the bunch.
• Ah, there's that (appropriately minor) video effect for "Hey Hey Hey" ;) It won't be doing much for the song on my chart either...
• Ditto for "Nothing Else Matters", actually :lol: but you typically can't expect too much from a tour footage video anyway.

Yet another chart that makes me feel right at home, Jake! :D
This is me is such a wonderful song although this week i've seen the film version starting to take off on iTunes so it does look like the song is going to be a bonafide chart smash in some shape or form. I haven't seen The greatest showman yet but i am interested in the film. Although its apparently the follow up to La la land (???) and i wasn't that bothered about watching that film even though i liked City of stars.

Beautiful trauma won me over in the end so i have give kudos to you, as you championed the song from the beginning. :wink: You also forgot the first two weeks when it went 10-18 :P :lol: But yes, it recovered amazingly well following the music video, and then P!nk gave us that gravity defying performance which helped keep the song at the forefront of my attention. I think i will always have a soft spot for What about us the most, for me that was the perfect song choice to introduce this album era.

LOL yes, if i loved the song there's no doubt Hey hey hey would've gone higher. As it is, i still think the song is only good (it has grown on me thanks to the video), but regards to the video i somehow find it a little underwhelming. I do feel like Katy Perry has once again tried to create a viral video, a bit like Swish swish i find it kinda forced rather than releasing a music video that is genuinely funny.

The thing with Nothing else matters is that it had all its success when the song first got released as an instant grat before the full album release. So because i've known the song for over a year, any video effect now would be miniscule.

Aww, you can't beat home comforts. :wink: :D
JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:31 pm

JakeP Top 20 (6th January 2018)

ImageImageImageImageImage

01 (03) Dua Lipa - Homesick [5 wks] [#1] (2 wks @ #1)
02 (02) Kesha - This is me [2 wks] [#2]
03 (NE) Liam Payne & Rita Ora - For you [1 wk] [#3]
04 (NE) Justin Timberlake - Filthy [1 wk] [#4]
05 (01) Eminem featuring Alicia Keys - Like home [3 wks] [#1] (2 wks @ #1)
06 (05) Sigrid - Strangers [5 wks] [#2]
07 (08) Bebe Rexha featuring Florida Georgia Line - Meant to be [5 wks] [#6]
08 (06) Rita Ora - Anywhere [11 wks] [#1] (5 wks @ #1)
09 (04) Eminem featuring P!nk - Need me [3 wks] [#2]
10 (11) Jax Jones featuring Ina Wroldsen - Breathe [5 wks] [#8]
11 (13) Nico Santos - Rooftop [5 wks] [#11]
12 (NE) Logic & Rag’n’Bone Man - Broken people [1 wk] [#12]
13 (NE) Kendrick Lamar & SZA - All the stars [1 wk] [#13]
14 (07) Marina Kaye - Something [10 wks] [#1] (2 wks @ #1)
15 (NE) Inna - Nirvana [1 wk] [#15]
16 (09) P!nk - Beautiful trauma [9 wks] [#6]
17 (NE) Bruno Mars featuring Cardi B - Finesse [1 wk] [#17]
18 (12) Eminem featuring X Ambassadors - Bad husband [3 wks] [#8]
19 (NE) Craig David featuring Bastille - I know you [1 wk] [#19]
20 (10) Eminem featuring Ed Sheeran - River [3 wks] [#5]

The Hit Seeker

Big Boi - All night
JakeP
Manager

Postby phoenix98 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:00 pm

JakeP wrote:Hello Mr Paul :D
Greetings, Mr. Jake :D

JakeP wrote:There are so many christmas movies aren't there? :lol: In the UK we even have a movie channel that's dedicated purely to just showing christmas themed films, and a lot of them are pretty good even though i've never heard of most of them before. :P
Ha, for sure - especially all the low-budget made-for-TV movies that channels like Hallmark and Lifetime churn out every single year. :lol:

JakeP wrote:Yes. :x I remember when i was a teenager going to Blackpool for a holiday and we were to the pleasure beach one night. We were playing ten pin bowling there and mum got more strikes than anyone else. I thought it'd be beginners luck, but no...not at all. :lol: Let's not discuss how crap i was though :oops: Oh totally shady although i wasn't really prepared so i was just doing random movements really unsure and giggling my way through the whole. I did lol though when it doubled my age. :lol:
I've never been, but Pleasure Beach looks really cool from the pics and clips I've seen (I think an episode of Keeping Up Appearances took place there.) There's something really charming about boardwalk/seaside amusement parks like that (partially because they're so rare, especially now.) Bummer that you didn't inherit your mum's skills, though! :x :lol:

JakeP wrote:I'm so surprised at how well all three versions are holding up on UK iTunes. All three versions are back inside the top 10 although i can't imagine actual sales are that high so perhaps they're just top 10 by default now that the christmas songs have all nosedived. It'll be interesting to see if any of tomorrows new releases can get a really big lead on iTunes and Spotify over the rest of the competition.

So yes, there was never a chart battle for christmas #1. I doubt Perfect will go on to become a christmas classic in years to come. I suspect the song may eventually become forgotten amongst all the classic christmas songs of yesteryear.
Well, at least they've all fallen a bit since that post (but all three are still inside the iTunes Top 30 in both the US and UK.) I'm surprised to see that the Beyoncé version is the clear leader of the bunch on UK iTunes, while it's the lowest of the three here in the US!

Yeah, and looking at the recent UK Christmas No. 1's, I suspect the same will be true for a lot of them :-? Again, the X Factor is at least partially to blame, since the winners' singles did so well based on hype/support for the winner moreso than the songs themselves really resonating with people. It also doesn't help that most of those X Factor No. 1's were covers that obviously wouldn't eclipse the original/best-known versions. That said, I still like most of them :lol: They're just not exactly...iconic.

JakeP wrote:The daft thing, and maybe its a pure co-incidence, but it always seemed to be gangster rap and US r'n'b crap that tended to be illegally downloaded years ago. Now, it seems like people who use Spotify are streaming the same type of songs. It really makes me question how much worth there really is in these songs? Young teens are happy to download US crap for free, or stream it on Spotify with their free account. Yet when it comes to actually purchasing these songs, teens aren't interested. This is another reason Spotify dictating the charts irritates me. :evil:

Then again the US charts have tended to be a bit of a joke. I think i once mentioned the global phenomenon PSY got to #2 in America with Gangnam style, kept off the top by a borderline good but nothing special single by Maroon 5. :roll: I got such a surprise when Tansike informed me about how No Doubt Don't speak never entered the US charts in the 90s because the song wasn't released as a single, yet the song was #1 on the airplay chart for months. It just makes no sense whatsoever. :lol: :-?
Hmmm...tweaking the ratio/weight of how much streaming VS sales counts toward the main charts could help with that, at least somewhat. It's tricky, though, with song sales plummeting as more and more people gravitate toward streaming services instead (even people who might've purchased those songs if streaming weren't an option.) Streaming really has shaken up our way of evaluating how much music is "worth" (leading to all the controversy about how little artists get paid when their songs are streamed, like the Taylor VS Spotify situation a while back.)

Ugh, the "Gangnam Style" situation was really heartbreaking to watch unfold :cry: YouTube views didn't count toward the Hot 100 back then, and radio (unsurprisingly) wasn't willing to embrace a song that was almost entirely in Korean...so the good-sales-and-great-airplay for "One More Night" allowed it to win out. I can't even entirely blame the radio stations, though, since I'm sure plenty of (close-minded) listeners called to complain any time they did spin "Gangnam Style." **sigh**

Regarding "Don't Speak" - until 1998, songs had to be available as a physical single to chart on the Hot 100, and No Doubt's label opted not to release one in order to push people to buy their full album instead (which was an increasingly common practice in the mid-to-late-90's.) I'm definitely glad they finally realized they needed to let airplay-only singles appear on the Hot 100, but that old policy does kind of match the "if you're not actually purchasing the song, it shouldn't impact the charts as much" philosophy you were describing.

JakeP wrote:I'm intrigued but i need to hear the whole song before i make any judgements. It should do well first week purely because its such a dry time for new music so i'd expect any form of new music to do well. Benefit from the lower sales period too. :wink:

Surprisingly not Niall. :o If we're talking which artist had the most chart entries, that honour actually goes to Lana Del Rey. She had 13 separate chart entries, one more than Eminem who scored 12 entries. Although if we're talking overall success then you'll have to follow my top 100 of 2017 for that answer. :P :wink:
Thanks for posting that! I've been a bit underwhelmed by the full thing, though :-? The pre-chorus is pretty catchy, but when the actual chorus hits...it's pretty underwhelming. The hook just doesn't grab me, so it actually feels like a step down from both "Anywhere" and "Bedroom Floor" for me. :(

Ah, I'd forgotten that Lana had such a massive impact! Maybe if Flicker had been a tad longer... ;)

JakeP wrote:Ahh i've not even listened to Cruise so i wouldn't have a clue what my reaction to that song would be. I'll just stick to the trusted Meant to be for the time being. :wink:
Smart move. ;)

JakeP wrote:I suppose that's to be expected when someone becomes such an omnipresence, especially when that someone is male. I remember about 6 or 7 years ago Rihanna was inescapable but i was loving it. She just kept delivering anthems and bops and i was going along for the ride. :lol: Speaking of Rihanna, what i've also liked about River is how much it sounds like its been inspired from Love the way you lie, its almost like a sequel to that song production wise.
Too true! It's really impressive how she managed to put out so much material in such a short span of time (and score so many hits) without ever really experiencing burnout/backlash. She had the occasional flops sprinkled between the big hits, but even eight albums in, she hasn't had a totally-under-performing era.

JakeP wrote:This is me is such a wonderful song although this week i've seen the film version starting to take off on iTunes so it does look like the song is going to be a bonafide chart smash in some shape or form. I haven't seen The greatest showman yet but i am interested in the film. Although its apparently the follow up to La la land (???) and i wasn't that bothered about watching that film even though i liked City of stars.
:o I had no idea the two were connected at all until I read this! Like you, I haven't seen either. :lol:

JakeP wrote:Beautiful trauma won me over in the end so i have give kudos to you, as you championed the song from the beginning. :wink: You also forgot the first two weeks when it went 10-18 :P :lol: But yes, it recovered amazingly well following the music video, and then P!nk gave us that gravity defying performance which helped keep the song at the forefront of my attention. I think i will always have a soft spot for What about us the most, for me that was the perfect song choice to introduce this album era.
Aw, thanks :D The fact that it's even come close to "What About Us" for you has been wonderful to watch unfold.

JakeP wrote:LOL yes, if i loved the song there's no doubt Hey hey hey would've gone higher. As it is, i still think the song is only good (it has grown on me thanks to the video), but regards to the video i somehow find it a little underwhelming. I do feel like Katy Perry has once again tried to create a viral video, a bit like Swish swish i find it kinda forced rather than releasing a music video that is genuinely funny.
Yeah, which is disappointing, because the sets/costumes look good, the premise is interesting (and suits the song)...but something about the attempted humor just doesn't click (and actually distracts/detracts from everything else promising about the video...)

JakeP wrote:The thing with Nothing else matters is that it had all its success when the song first got released as an instant grat before the full album release. So because i've known the song for over a year, any video effect now would be miniscule.
Makes sense. The same happened to me with "Versace On The Floor", which finally became a proper single and got a video long after I'd already played it to death when it first dropped as a pre-release/promo single.

JakeP wrote:01 (03) Dua Lipa - Homesick [5 wks] [#1] (2 wks @ #1)
02 (02) Kesha - This is me [2 wks] [#2]
03 (NE) Liam Payne & Rita Ora - For you [1 wk] [#3]
04 (NE) Justin Timberlake - Filthy [1 wk] [#4]
05 (01) Eminem featuring Alicia Keys - Like home [3 wks] [#1] (2 wks @ #1)
07 (08) Bebe Rexha featuring Florida Georgia Line - Meant to be [5 wks] [#6]
08 (06) Rita Ora - Anywhere [11 wks] [#1] (5 wks @ #1)
09 (04) Eminem featuring P!nk - Need me [3 wks] [#2]
14 (07) Marina Kaye - Something [10 wks] [#1] (2 wks @ #1)
16 (09) P!nk - Beautiful trauma [9 wks] [#6]
17 (NE) Bruno Mars featuring Cardi B - Finesse [1 wk] [#17]
20 (10) Eminem featuring Ed Sheeran - River [3 wks] [#5]
• Here I was expecting Em VS Kesha, when Dua swoops in for the surprise rebound! :o
• "Filthy" is doing even less for me than "For You" :oops: JT's albums (and even the singles) have always been pretty hit-or-miss for me, though. I never got massively into "Suit & Tie", and then he dropped "Mirrors"...so we'll see if he can pull that off again!
• "Strangers" has been clicking with me lately, and I totally owe your chart for inspiring me to add it to my library in the first place!
• "Finesse" has REALLY been clicking with me! I'd never heard the original before this remix dropped, but I was hooked pretty instantly (and the adorable throwback video just sold me even more!) <3

Yet another chart that'll cure what ails ya, Jake! :D
Last edited by phoenix98 on Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
phoenix98
Legend

Postby cheapthrills » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:26 am

JakeP wrote:
cheapthrills wrote:Look at that Em slayage :cry:
He sure is. Revival has so many great tracks and for me Like home and Need me are the two definitive highlights.

Which tracks on the album are your personal favourites?
Oh! I didn't answer. I also like Like Home, and really like Nowhere Fast with Kehlani.
Vote for songs in the Summertime Madness Tournament!
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby heppolo » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:20 am

Damn, for my daily chart routine 5 wks feels like ancient history
Waffles are checked cookies
heppolo
Legend

Postby JakeP » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:07 pm

phoenix98 wrote:Ha, for sure - especially all the low-budget made-for-TV movies that channels like Hallmark and Lifetime churn out every single year. :lol:
Ohh i recognise the name Hallmark so perhaps we get that channel too. In all honestly, once you've seen one low budget christmas film, you've seen them all. :lol:

phoenix98 wrote:I've never been, but Pleasure Beach looks really cool from the pics and clips I've seen (I think an episode of Keeping Up Appearances took place there.) There's something really charming about boardwalk/seaside amusement parks like that (partially because they're so rare, especially now.) Bummer that you didn't inherit your mum's skills, though! :x :lol:
OMG you know Keeping up appearances? :o :lol: That's made me smile. I never realised these british sitcoms were broadcast in America. :oops: But yes, the pleasure beach was amazing when i was younger. I've not been there for quite a few years so might need to go back and revisit. :P Haha i really didn't inherit those bowling skills. :lol:

phoenix98 wrote:Well, at least they've all fallen a bit since that post (but all three are still inside the iTunes Top 30 in both the US and UK.) I'm surprised to see that the Beyoncé version is the clear leader of the bunch on UK iTunes, while it's the lowest of the three here in the US!

Yeah, and looking at the recent UK Christmas No. 1's, I suspect the same will be true for a lot of them :-? Again, the X Factor is at least partially to blame, since the winners' singles did so well based on hype/support for the winner moreso than the songs themselves really resonating with people. It also doesn't help that most of those X Factor No. 1's were covers that obviously wouldn't eclipse the original/best-known versions. That said, I still like most of them :lol: They're just not exactly...iconic.
In the UK Perfect will be hit with acr next week so this single is now pretty much guaranteed to drop from the top spot even if it is still technically the biggest selling song for the week. Watch Ed go and release a new version tonight. :roll: :x I rarely follow iTunes in America but thats quite surprising to know. I would've thought the Beyoncé version would be comfortably the most popular version.

LOL that's very true. Although thats one positive thing about Spotify. It pretty much ensured a below average throwaway cover version as a winners single had no chance of going to #1. I've liked a number of the winners singles to varying degrees but there have been some tragic messes in the last couple of years. :evil:

phoenix98 wrote:Hmmm...tweaking the ratio/weight of how much streaming VS sales counts toward the main charts could help with that, at least somewhat. It's tricky, though, with song sales plummeting as more and more people gravitate toward streaming services instead (even people who might've purchased those songs if streaming weren't an option.) Streaming really has shaken up our way of evaluating how much music is "worth" (leading to all the controversy about how little artists get paid when their songs are streamed, like the Taylor VS Spotify situation a while back.)

Ugh, the "Gangnam Style" situation was really heartbreaking to watch unfold :cry: YouTube views didn't count toward the Hot 100 back then, and radio (unsurprisingly) wasn't willing to embrace a song that was almost entirely in Korean...so the good-sales-and-great-airplay for "One More Night" allowed it to win out. I can't even entirely blame the radio stations, though, since I'm sure plenty of (close-minded) listeners called to complain any time they did spin "Gangnam Style." **sigh**

Regarding "Don't Speak" - until 1998, songs had to be available as a physical single to chart on the Hot 100, and No Doubt's label opted not to release one in order to push people to buy their full album instead (which was an increasingly common practice in the mid-to-late-90's.) I'm definitely glad they finally realized they needed to let airplay-only singles appear on the Hot 100, but that old policy does kind of match the "if you're not actually purchasing the song, it shouldn't impact the charts as much" philosophy you were describing.
Taylor Swift is a magnificent business women playing the role of a popstar. I think thats why she's never had that one killer song that really set my chart alight. Yes, Look what you made me do went to #1 thanks mainly to the music video, but the novelty wore off and i quickly lost interest in the song. Plus ...ready for it? came along far too quickly too although that wasn't the reason for the other song decreasing quite quickly.

The YouTube situation in America was a mess though. :lol: That Harlem shake crazy meant the song was #1 for two months purely because of 30 second videos. That's ridiculous. :lol: *sigh* You're probably right, the type of people who no doubt voted for Donald Trump. :x

It's catch 22 but i suspect in general radio playlists in the 90s were more diverse than most Spotify playlists people have clicked and played this past week. :P

phoenix98 wrote:Thanks for posting that! I've been a bit underwhelmed by the full thing, though :-? The pre-chorus is pretty catchy, but when the actual chorus hits...it's pretty underwhelming. The hook just doesn't grab me, so it actually feels like a step down from both "Anywhere" and "Bedroom Floor" for me. :(

Ah, I'd forgotten that Lana had such a massive impact! Maybe if Flicker had been a tad longer... ;)
I much prefer For you over all of Liam's previous singles. That said, its interesting to see the song enter the UK charts at #11. I'm sure it'll go top 10 eventually but right down i honestly couldn't predict how big a hit this song will be in the long run.

To be honest, Lana's album domination was spread over two weeks. I bought Lust for life towards the end of the week so its impact was hampered by listening to many other songs for the bulk of that week. 13 beaches is likely to become the single that never happened. :(

phoenix98 wrote:Too true! It's really impressive how she managed to put out so much material in such a short span of time (and score so many hits) without ever really experiencing burnout/backlash. She had the occasional flops sprinkled between the big hits, but even eight albums in, she hasn't had a totally-under-performing era.
Rihanna and her team worked incredibly hard to create all that buzz and hype and the success seemed to follow naturally. On a worldwide yes, each album has had its hit single(s) but i do wonder if hype is solely the reason why songs like Work became popular, or maybe they were genuinely loved so much.

phoenix98 wrote: :o I had no idea the two were connected at all until I read this! Like you, I haven't seen either. :lol:
Ignore me, i was told this by a guy at work who was joking with me and like an idiot i believed him. :oops: :cry: I don't think either are connected in any way shape or form. :wink:

phoenix98 wrote:Aw, thanks :D The fact that it's even come close to "What About Us" for you has been wonderful to watch unfold.
Well, i wouldn't say come close. There's still a fairly large gap between the two but it did transform into a much more successful single than its initial chart run suggested. :D

phoenix98 wrote:Yeah, which is disappointing, because the sets/costumes look good, the premise is interesting (and suits the song)...but something about the attempted humor just doesn't click (and actually distracts/detracts from everything else promising about the video...)
The whole Witness era has left me unimpressed to be honest. The songs are just not strong enough apart from Chained to the rhythm, and like i posted the music videos seem forced rather than natural.

phoenix98 wrote:Makes sense. The same happened to me with "Versace On The Floor", which finally became a proper single and got a video long after I'd already played it to death when it first dropped as a pre-release/promo single.
I think it was only a few months later which isn't as bad as waiting a whole year for a simple tour video. :lol:

phoenix98 wrote:• Here I was expecting Em VS Kesha, when Dua swoops in for the surprise rebound! :o
• "Filthy" is doing even less for me than "For You" :oops: JT's albums (and even the singles) have always been pretty hit-or-miss for me, though. I never got massively into "Suit & Tie", and then he dropped "Mirrors"...so we'll see if he can pull that off again!
• "Strangers" has been clicking with me lately, and I totally owe your chart for inspiring me to add it to my library in the first place!
• "Finesse" has REALLY been clicking with me! I'd never heard the original before this remix dropped, but I was hooked pretty instantly (and the adorable throwback video just sold me even more!) <3

Yet another chart that'll cure what ails ya, Jake! :D
LOL you know me, i'm full of surprises from time to time. :P :lol: Maybe somewhat frustrating for Kesha, it was a fairly close top 2 so its not as if Dua Lipa suddenly shot out in front of everyone else. But the Eminem album track impact did fall away although the Alicia Keys and P!nk tracks were still getting a decent amount of plays to keep them inside the top 10.

Oh dear i actually like both songs but admittedly neither made me think "OMG YES" to the point they went to #1 within 24 hours. In fact, both Filthy and For you are looking likely to drop down in my new chart tomorrow. :wink: I didn't rate Suit & tie either but then again i didn't think Mirrors was amazing either, although it was a big improvement.

Aww, Sigrid won the BBC sound of 2018 poll. <3 I was so surprised when i read this on the BBC news website today at work. Now for Strangers to fully benefit and become a genuine chart hit. :D

I remember checking out the iTunes previews for Bruno Mars' album when it first gor released and Finesse had no impact on me whatsoever. However, this new version with Cardi B has continued to grow on me throughout this week and is guaranteed to hit a new peak tomorrow. :wink:
JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:08 pm

cheapthrills wrote:Oh! I didn't answer. I also like Like Home, and really like Nowhere Fast with Kehlani.
Ahh ok :D I do like Nowhere fast even though i still prefer some of the other album tracks more. Like home is just amazing, and i could imagine Eminem releasing this as a single with a funny/cheeky/controversial music video to help boost the songs success.
JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:10 pm

heppolo wrote:06 (05) Sigrid - Strangers [5 wks] [#2]

LOL :P I suppose 5 weeks in my chart is the heppolo equivalent of 5 days in your chart.

Do you really go off songs so quickly after entering them into your chart?
JakeP
Manager

Postby heppolo » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:34 pm

JakeP wrote:
heppolo wrote:06 (05) Sigrid - Strangers [5 wks] [#2]

LOL :P I suppose 5 weeks in my chart is the heppolo equivalent of 5 days in your chart.

Do you really go off songs so quickly after entering them into your chart?
Sometimes I come back to a bunch of the better ones, but re-entrances are rare.
Two songs had chart runs of 100+ days back in 2015-2016 when my chart wasn't as dynamic as it is now.
heppolo
Legend

Postby JakeP » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:39 pm

heppolo wrote:Sometimes I come back to a bunch of the better ones, but re-entrances are rare.
Two songs had chart runs of 100+ days back in 2015-2016 when my chart wasn't as dynamic as it is now.
How do you discover all these songs? Are you a subscriber to a lot of YouTube channels, or do you follow music blogs online?
JakeP
Manager

Postby heppolo » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:21 am

JakeP wrote:
heppolo wrote:Sometimes I come back to a bunch of the better ones, but re-entrances are rare.
How do you discover all these songs? Are you a subscriber to a lot of YouTube channels, or do you follow music blogs online?
it's simple, you type ''official video'' and then use ''today'' as an upload filter. I do scroll blogs and I am subscribed to some labels, but I don't have time to do it everyday. That's why I sometimes miss the good ones in my chart.
heppolo
Legend

Postby JakeP » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:19 pm

heppolo wrote:it's simple, you type ''official video'' and then use ''today'' as an upload filter. I do scroll blogs and I am subscribed to some labels, but I don't have time to do it everyday. That's why I sometimes miss the good ones in my chart.
Ahh that simple. :oops: :lol: I usually click on the trending page and search for music videos that way. Granted the majority tend to be rap crap that i know i am gonna have little interest in.
JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:30 pm

JakeP Top 20 (13th January 2018)

ImageImageImageImageImage

01 (NE) Troye Sivan - My my my! [1 wk] [#1] (1 wk @ #1)
02 (NE) Carrie Underwood featuring Ludacris - The champion [1 wk] [#2]
03 (01) Dua Lipa - Homesick [6 wks] [#1] (2 wks @ #1)
04 (06) Sigrid - Strangers [6 wks] [#2]
05 (NE) Taylor Swift featuring Ed Sheeran & Future - End game [1 wk] [#5]
06 (02) Kesha - This is me [3 wks] [#2]
07 (03) Liam Payne & Rita Ora - For you [2 wks] [#3]
08 (17) Bruno Mars featuring Cardi B - Finesse [2 wks] [#8]
09 (11) Nico Santos - Rooftop [6 wks] [#9]
10 (05) Eminem featuring Alicia Keys - Like home [4 wks] [#1] (2 wks @ #1)
11 (04) Justin Timberlake - Filthy [2 wks] [#4]
12 (07) Bebe Rexha featuring Florida Georgia Line - Meant to be [6 wks] [#6]
13 (08) Rita Ora - Anywhere [12 wks] [#1] (5 wks @ #1)
14 (NE) Big Boi - All night [1 wk] [#14]
15 (15) Inna - Nirvana [2 wks] [#15]
16 (NE) Machine Gun Kelly, X Ambassadors & Bebe Rexha - Home [1 wk] [#16]
17 (10) Jax Jones featuring Ina Wroldsen - Breathe [6 wks] [#8]
18 (12) Logic & Rag’n’Bone Man - Broken people [2 wks] [#12]
19 (09) Eminem featuring P!nk - Need me [4 wks] [#2]
20 (13) Kendrick Lamar & SZA - All the stars [2 wks] [#13]

The Hit Seeker

Hailee Steinfeld & BloodPop® - Capital letters
JakeP
Manager

Postby heppolo » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:55 pm

01 (NE) Troye Sivan - My my my! [1 wk] [#1] (1 wk @ #1)
Immidiate effect.
I am not yet sold on this because of the change from "Blue Neighbourhood''.
Somehow my logic puts Troye and Years & Years in a line of constant comparison/similarity and Y&Y stuff is still a bit better to me.
heppolo
Legend

Postby JakeP » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:39 pm

heppolo wrote:01 (NE) Troye Sivan - My my my! [1 wk] [#1] (1 wk @ #1)
Immidiate effect.
I am not yet sold on this because of the change from "Blue Neighbourhood''.
Somehow my logic puts Troye and Years & Years in a line of constant comparison/similarity and Y&Y stuff is still a bit better to me.
It really couldn't have been more immediate. :lol: I honestly didn't expect Troye to release such an unashamed bop though because, like you say, say previous material was so much more quirky. That said, this is the type of pure pop that i live for and so for that reason i'm so thankful that Troye decided to venture down this route. :D
JakeP
Manager

Postby Fan » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:47 pm

Wow at Troye! The video was an instant hit for me, so cool and unapologetic. Got young-George Michael vibes. The song didn't hit me immediately, but I do like it now though. Very catchy. Would be nice to see his become a hit.

Dua still going strong!

I love This Is Me, but the film version with the original cast is the one I always listen to. I had to control myself when I saw the movie in the cinema, because I really wanted to sing a long.

New Rita is nice, but a bit disappointing after Your Song and Anywhere. And I wish it didn't feature that Liam.
i wanna see you on your knees, wanna see you begging
Fan
Legend

Postby Thriller » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:42 pm

Good climb for Bruno and I reckon Troy will make a good debut on my chart next week!
Thriller

Return to Personal Charts