JakeP Top 20

Moderators: JSparksFan, tdc2000, FreakyFlyBry

Postby JSparksFan » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:03 am

Great Top 2! :wink: Both Troye and Carrie return with music slightly atypical from what we're accustomed to from them, and I enjoyed both to varying degrees. Troye's video is really good, his best yet.

The Kendrick Lamar/SZA song isn't bad. I think I like it, than most of their solo songs. Great to see "Finesse" on its way to the Top 5. Hope it keeps progressing to that point.

The "End Game" video is nice, but it didn't change my mind about the song. I still think it's sub-par, and will be forgotten within two years.

I'm listening to "This Is Me" now, and I like it, but I don't think I like it more than "Rewrite the Stars"...oh, wait, I'm hearing soaring vocals. Um, I think I'm changing my mind mid-sentence. :lol: How do you feel about "Rewrite the Stars"?

01 (NE) Troye Sivan - My my my! [1 wk] [#1] (1 wk @ #1)
02 (NE) Carrie Underwood featuring Ludacris - The champion [1 wk] [#2]
05 (NE) Taylor Swift featuring Ed Sheeran & Future - End game [1 wk] [#5]
06 (02) Kesha - This is me [3 wks] [#2]
07 (03) Liam Payne & Rita Ora - For you [2 wks] [#3]
08 (17) Bruno Mars featuring Cardi B - Finesse [2 wks] [#8]
11 (04) Justin Timberlake - Filthy [2 wks] [#4]
13 (08) Rita Ora - Anywhere [12 wks] [#1] (5 wks @ #1)
20 (13) Kendrick Lamar & SZA - All the stars [2 wks] [#13]
My Tribute to Janet Jackson: [30-26]

I would hope my legacy would be bringing smiles to faces. Happiness with my music.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:00 pm

JakeP wrote:Ohh i recognise the name Hallmark so perhaps we get that channel too. In all honestly, once you've seen one low budget christmas film, you've seen them all. :lol:
They're also a massive greeting card company here, so that might be why the name rings a bell (though I'm not sure if they distribute their products overseas at all.) It's pretty random that a stationary company has their own movies and TV channel, but I digress... :lol:

JakeP wrote:OMG you know Keeping up appearances? :o :lol: That's made me smile. I never realised these british sitcoms were broadcast in America. :oops: But yes, the pleasure beach was amazing when i was younger. I've not been there for quite a few years so might need to go back and revisit. :P Haha i really didn't inherit those bowling skills. :lol:
:lol: It's so brilliant! I discovered it through Netflix (or Hulu?), so I'm not sure if it's actually broadcast on regular TV here (though it absolutely SHOULD be. Puts plenty of our sitcoms to shame!)

JakeP wrote:In the UK Perfect will be hit with acr next week so this single is now pretty much guaranteed to drop from the top spot even if it is still technically the biggest selling song for the week. Watch Ed go and release a new version tonight. :roll: :x I rarely follow iTunes in America but thats quite surprising to know. I would've thought the Beyoncé version would be comfortably the most popular version.

LOL that's very true. Although thats one positive thing about Spotify. It pretty much ensured a below average throwaway cover version as a winners single had no chance of going to #1. I've liked a number of the winners singles to varying degrees but there have been some tragic messes in the last couple of years. :evil:
Hopefully he'll be satisfied with six weeks on top (including the Xmas No. 1) :lol: Besides, now his team's gotta figure out how to get his next single as high as possible :wink: I had the same reaction, but her version is still the lowest of the three on US iTunes (though it looks like it's been bumped below the original on UK iTunes now too.)

Ha, yeah, and it seems that effect has already started taking place (since none of the winners' singles after Ben's have gone to No. 1, even though some were original tunes.)

JakeP wrote:Taylor Swift is a magnificent business women playing the role of a popstar. I think thats why she's never had that one killer song that really set my chart alight. Yes, Look what you made me do went to #1 thanks mainly to the music video, but the novelty wore off and i quickly lost interest in the song. Plus ...ready for it? came along far too quickly too although that wasn't the reason for the other song decreasing quite quickly.

The YouTube situation in America was a mess though. :lol: That Harlem shake crazy meant the song was #1 for two months purely because of 30 second videos. That's ridiculous. :lol: *sigh* You're probably right, the type of people who no doubt voted for Donald Trump. :x
Aw, I think she does both pretty brilliantly. She's savvy, no doubt, but she's also served up some of the best country-pop ("Love Story", "You Belong With Me", "Mean", etc.) and then pure-pop ("I Knew You Were Trouble.", "Blank Space", "Style", etc.) tunes of the past 10 years. I'm clearly a fan :lol: but I can get why her music isn't everybody's cup of tea.

Ugh, YES - the "Harlem Shake" situation was REALLY infuriating too! It was a phenomenon, no doubt about that, but I have NO idea why every random 30-second upload counted toward the song's official streaming points (thus giving it absurdly inflated numbers.) It's like counting every time someone clicks on an iTunes Store preview. :roll:

JakeP wrote:I much prefer For you over all of Liam's previous singles. That said, its interesting to see the song enter the UK charts at #11. I'm sure it'll go top 10 eventually but right down i honestly couldn't predict how big a hit this song will be in the long run.
I wouldn't be too gutted if they didn't put much effort into promoting it and just served up new singles of their own sooner rather than later (and an album, especially in Rita's case) :lol: Based on its No. 11 ---> No. 21 tumble today, that might really be for the best...

JakeP wrote:Rihanna and her team worked incredibly hard to create all that buzz and hype and the success seemed to follow naturally. On a worldwide yes, each album has had its hit single(s) but i do wonder if hype is solely the reason why songs like Work became popular, or maybe they were genuinely loved so much.
I'm not sure if hype alone can make a song a nine-week-No. 1 :lol: but you're right that name/brand/image definitely matters when it comes to songs' success. If you'd handed some of Rihanna's hit singles to Nicole Scherzinger or Tinashe instead, they almost certainly wouldn't have been as big (and vice versa, if Rihanna had recorded and released some of their flops.) I don't mean to single Rihanna out, of course - the same goes for if Matt Cardle had recorded Ed's "Perfect", or if Ja Rule had released "Rockstar", etc.

JakeP wrote:Ignore me, i was told this by a guy at work who was joking with me and like an idiot i believed him. :oops: :cry: I don't think either are connected in any way shape or form. :wink:
No worries! Thanks for letting me know before I spread it any further. :lol:

JakeP wrote:The whole Witness era has left me unimpressed to be honest. The songs are just not strong enough apart from Chained to the rhythm, and like i posted the music videos seem forced rather than natural.
Aw, I still get a good amount of enjoyment out of "Bon Appétit" and "Swish Swish" (and a few random album tracks, like fan-favorite "Roulette"), but I hear what you're saying about the Witness videos. I imagine Katy can actually be pretty funny in real life, but it's just not being conveyed on camera lately :-? I suspect the scripts/video treaments are at least partially to blame, but something about her delivery has been really missing the mark too...

JakeP wrote:I think it was only a few months later which isn't as bad as waiting a whole year for a simple tour video. :lol:
A bit longer - "Versace" was first released November 4, 2016 and then the video dropped August 13, 2017 - but yeah, tour videos pretty much set the bar for underwhelming/disappointing. :x :lol:

JakeP wrote:Aww, Sigrid won the BBC sound of 2018 poll. <3 I was so surprised when i read this on the BBC news website today at work. Now for Strangers to fully benefit and become a genuine chart hit. :D
Ooh...very nice! Congrats to her! I'm actually not too familiar with that poll - do you know any of the past winners/is it a good indication of future success?

JakeP wrote:01 (NE) Troye Sivan - My my my! [1 wk] [#1] (1 wk @ #1)
03 (01) Dua Lipa - Homesick [6 wks] [#1] (2 wks @ #1)
04 (06) Sigrid - Strangers [6 wks] [#2]
10 (05) Eminem featuring Alicia Keys - Like home [4 wks] [#1] (2 wks @ #1)
12 (07) Bebe Rexha featuring Florida Georgia Line - Meant to be [6 wks] [#6]
19 (09) Eminem featuring P!nk - Need me [4 wks] [#2]

Hailee Steinfeld & BloodPop® - Capital letters
• Kudos to Troye! Is this his first No. 1? It looks like it's gotten some really positive reception around UKMIX, so hopefully that'll hold true for official charts too! It's certainly catchy, and seems like the perfect way to evolve his sound a bit without completely changing what made people love him in the first place.
• Lovin' that Top 5 debut for "End Game." I actually still need to check out the video, though :oops: My motivation/enthusiasm has been a little low after the RFI vid.
• Awesome leap into the Top 10 for "Finesse." 8-)
• I've been pretty obsessed with "Capital Letters" this week, so **fingers crossed** for a splashy debut tomorrow! I'm also massively curious to see how Kylie will fare...

Yet another chart that's totally you, you, you, Jake! :D
phoenix98
Legend

Postby JakeP » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:52 pm

Fan wrote:Wow at Troye! The video was an instant hit for me, so cool and unapologetic. Got young-George Michael vibes. The song didn't hit me immediately, but I do like it now though. Very catchy. Would be nice to see his become a hit.

Dua still going strong!

I love This Is Me, but the film version with the original cast is the one I always listen to. I had to control myself when I saw the movie in the cinema, because I really wanted to sing a long.

New Rita is nice, but a bit disappointing after Your Song and Anywhere. And I wish it didn't feature that Liam.
Thanks Fan :D

I really wanted Troye to deliver, and gosh he so did. I adore everything about My my my! from the uplifting vibes in the song to the homolicious energy Troye brings to the music video.

Homesick will always be gorgeous. The new single IDGAF is growing on me, i wasn't so keen at first but i've seen the music video and it has definitely given the song more of a boost. I doubt it'll become one of Dua's biggest hits in my chart though.

I'm just more "pop" than i am "film" so thats why Kesha's version appeals to me more. Keala's version verges more towards being theatrical moreso than pop so its impact as a chart hit isn't as strong.

I really like For you but i agree its no Anywhere and Liam is only there to try and get another hit. It's just as well that Rita sings most of the track otherwise had Liam done more of vocals i'm sure it'd have less impact on me. It still beggars belief how little personality there is in Liam's voice considering he was pushed as one of the main singers in One Direction. :-? :lol:
JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:54 pm

Thriller wrote:Good climb for Bruno and I reckon Troy will make a good debut on my chart next week!
Thanks Thriller :D

Ohh excellent for Troye, i shall be checking out the other charts later on. Hope Troye managed to get a high debut. :wink:

Bruno Mars was looking set for another week climbing but due to hearing so many new releases plus some discoveries of minor hits, Bruno's chart position could falter slightly this week.
JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:05 pm

JSparksFan wrote:Great Top 2! :wink: Both Troye and Carrie return with music slightly atypical from what we're accustomed to from them, and I enjoyed both to varying degrees. Troye's video is really good, his best yet.

The Kendrick Lamar/SZA song isn't bad. I think I like it, than most of their solo songs. Great to see "Finesse" on its way to the Top 5. Hope it keeps progressing to that point.

The "End Game" video is nice, but it didn't change my mind about the song. I still think it's sub-par, and will be forgotten within two years.

I'm listening to "This Is Me" now, and I like it, but I don't think I like it more than "Rewrite the Stars"...oh, wait, I'm hearing soaring vocals. Um, I think I'm changing my mind mid-sentence. :lol: How do you feel about "Rewrite the Stars"?

01 (NE) Troye Sivan - My my my! [1 wk] [#1] (1 wk @ #1)
02 (NE) Carrie Underwood featuring Ludacris - The champion [1 wk] [#2]
11 (04) Justin Timberlake - Filthy [2 wks] [#4]
20 (13) Kendrick Lamar & SZA - All the stars [2 wks] [#13]
Thanks Akini :D

Yes, i totally agree and its kinda uncanny that both tracks ended up making my top 2. I was so surprised when i realised your top 2 was the same, but what an amazing feat to achieve. :D

All the stars is good but it doesn't quite have the quirky nature of HUMBLE. to really make me pay attention. I enjoy the smooth mellowness of the song and SZA sounds great on the track.

Well last weekend the momentum helped Bruno get up to #8 - seven days earlier he was looking set to drop out of the top 20. So there was a big change of heart with regards to how much i liked the song. This week i'd say Bruno would be competing for #5 at least...but this week has ended up being quite a week for new music so as i just posted above, Bruno's ascent up the chart may falter tomorrow.

Same. :lol: The music video was pretty much what helped End game get to #5 although i did enjoy hearing the song in its entirety. It's not a classic Taylor song so like many of her previous entries in my chart, its safe to say this will drop down my chart tomorrow. Neither the song or video made me want to go back and watch/listen again.

LOL the second verse in This is me really elevates the song. :D I'm gonna have to check out Rewrite the stars as i've yet to hear this/see the film. :oops:
JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:54 pm

phoenix98 wrote:They're also a massive greeting card company here, so that might be why the name rings a bell (though I'm not sure if they distribute their products overseas at all.) It's pretty random that a stationary company has their own movies and TV channel, but I digress... :lol:
Hey Paul :D

Ohh actually i think we do have Hallmark card shops, or at least that sounds familiar. Then again my knowledge of card shops in almost non existent. :lol: I know we have a Card cabin and a small card shop in the local market hall. That's still quite an interesting fact though.

phoenix98 wrote: :lol: It's so brilliant! I discovered it through Netflix (or Hulu?), so I'm not sure if it's actually broadcast on regular TV here (though it absolutely SHOULD be. Puts plenty of our sitcoms to shame!)
LOL that's amazing. Who doesn't love Mrs Bucket? :lol: :P

phoenix98 wrote:Hopefully he'll be satisfied with six weeks on top (including the Xmas No. 1) :lol: Besides, now his team's gotta figure out how to get his next single as high as possible :wink: I had the same reaction, but her version is still the lowest of the three on US iTunes (though it looks like it's been bumped below the original on UK iTunes now too.)

Ha, yeah, and it seems that effect has already started taking place (since none of the winners' singles after Ben's have gone to No. 1, even though some were original tunes.)
Oh i'm sure he'll be happy that his strategy paid off. He knows the public in general love his music and he took full advantage of his fanbase. :lol: All three versions are dropping but i feel like the song has had its time now. It's still sad to think if the OCC didn't change the chart rules, then Perfect would've probably remained at #1 for another month. :roll: :x

The x factor has declined just like how download sales on iTunes have decreased. Maybe its a pure coincidence but Simon Cowell doesn't have a stranglehold over Spotify.

phoenix98 wrote:Aw, I think she does both pretty brilliantly. She's savvy, no doubt, but she's also served up some of the best country-pop ("Love Story", "You Belong With Me", "Mean", etc.) and then pure-pop ("I Knew You Were Trouble.", "Blank Space", "Style", etc.) tunes of the past 10 years. I'm clearly a fan :lol: but I can get why her music isn't everybody's cup of tea.

Ugh, YES - the "Harlem Shake" situation was REALLY infuriating too! It was a phenomenon, no doubt about that, but I have NO idea why every random 30-second upload counted toward the song's official streaming points (thus giving it absurdly inflated numbers.) It's like counting every time someone clicks on an iTunes Store preview. :roll:
I think the one thing that prevents Taylor from really winning me over is that most of her songs are incredibly immature. Oh yes i totally agree with I knew you were trouble. that is still my favourite Taylor single to date. She just comes across as quite cold and gives me the impression she's quite demanding. :oops:

phoenix98 wrote:I wouldn't be too gutted if they didn't put much effort into promoting it and just served up new singles of their own sooner rather than later (and an album, especially in Rita's case) :lol: Based on its No. 11 ---> No. 21 tumble today, that might really be for the best...
There's still no music video but even then, there's no guarantee that a music video would do wonders for the song. That said, I don't want to live forever started out with a 16-19-36 ( :o ) chart run, before peaking at #5 in its tenth week on the chart. If For you continues to get strong radio airplay followed by strong music video airplay then we'll probably see Liam & Rita climb into the top 10 too in March. :P

phoenix98 wrote:I'm not sure if hype alone can make a song a nine-week-No. 1 :lol: but you're right that name/brand/image definitely matters when it comes to songs' success. If you'd handed some of Rihanna's hit singles to Nicole Scherzinger or Tinashe instead, they almost certainly wouldn't have been as big (and vice versa, if Rihanna had recorded and released some of their flops.) I don't mean to single Rihanna out, of course - the same goes for if Matt Cardle had recorded Ed's "Perfect", or if Ja Rule had released "Rockstar", etc.
That's an excellent point. There is usually always more focus and emphasis on key particular artists. I suspect a lot of it comes down to money and how much the record label are prepared to spend on making their artists the hottest property on planet pop. I mean, if Matt Cardle had released Say you won't let go i doubt it would've been a #1 single. The media have more of a say in the music industry than we probably even realise.

phoenix98 wrote:Aw, I still get a good amount of enjoyment out of "Bon Appétit" and "Swish Swish" (and a few random album tracks, like fan-favorite "Roulette"), but I hear what you're saying about the Witness videos. I imagine Katy can actually be pretty funny in real life, but it's just not being conveyed on camera lately :-? I suspect the scripts/video treaments are at least partially to blame, but something about her delivery has been really missing the mark too...
Katy Perry has spent most of 2017 looking like somebody trying too hard. Her attitude hasn't been pleasant either, and all this because America elected Donald Trump as president.

phoenix98 wrote:A bit longer - "Versace" was first released November 4, 2016 and then the video dropped August 13, 2017 - but yeah, tour videos pretty much set the bar for underwhelming/disappointing. :x :lol:
Gosh it didn't seem like that big a gap, but then 2017 doesn't feel like it lasted twelve months (like every year, it goes so quickly :lol: ). I agree tour videos, whilst cute and occasionally funny, do seem like a cop out from the record company.

phoenix98 wrote:Ooh...very nice! Congrats to her! I'm actually not too familiar with that poll - do you know any of the past winners/is it a good indication of future success?
Here are all the winners which i've ranked in order of preference :wink:

Adele (2008)
Ellie Goulding (2010)
Years & Years (2015)
Keane (2004)
Sigrid (2018)
Jessie J (2011)
Haim (2013)
Little Boots (2009)
Sam Smith (2014)
Mika (2007)
50 Cent (2003)
Corrine Bailey Rae (2006)
Michael Kiwanuka (2012)
The Bravery (2005)
Ray BLK (2017)
Jack Garrett (2016)

Overall a pretty good list of winners although the bottom few had no impact on me whatsoever. :-?

phoenix98 wrote:• Kudos to Troye! Is this his first No. 1? It looks like it's gotten some really positive reception around UKMIX, so hopefully that'll hold true for official charts too! It's certainly catchy, and seems like the perfect way to evolve his sound a bit without completely changing what made people love him in the first place.
• Lovin' that Top 5 debut for "End Game." I actually still need to check out the video, though :oops: My motivation/enthusiasm has been a little low after the RFI vid.
• Awesome leap into the Top 10 for "Finesse." 8-)
• I've been pretty obsessed with "Capital Letters" this week, so **fingers crossed** for a splashy debut tomorrow! I'm also massively curious to see how Kylie will fare...

Yet another chart that's totally you, you, you, Jake! :D
I do feel like Troye's #1 was inevitable, he just hadn't quite got there previous as both Happy little pill and TALK ME DOWN peaked at #2. My my my! took full advantage of dry January and rocketed to #1 with absolute ease. Well, in the UK it's become his first top 40 single so that has to count for something even if the song doesn't peak any higher.

LOL i've thought all along that the whole Reputation era got off to such an amazing start but then the record company got all overexcited, struck while the iron was hot and made a right mess of the album campaign from there onwards. When they released Gorgeous, that should've been the week they released both the song and video for ...ready for it?. Absolutely insane strategy that made no sense whatsoever. :lol: Call it what you want needn't have bothered either even if i did prefer this song, i still wasn't feeling any buzz after checking these songs out. :oops: As for End game, i do like the song even though it was the music video that helped provide that boost in my chart. That said, End game might not even remain in my top 10 tomorrow. :o

It seems like so many people are loving Finesse, and it has grown on me a lot. But as i've already posted, it looks likely to stall this week due to an influx of new music making a big impression on me.

Hailee's track sounded good on first listen but Troye and Carrie stole her thunder so they got a lot of more of my attention last Friday. In all honestly, because of the way this week has turned out, i have a gut feeling Capital letters will be towards the lower half of the top 20. As for Kylie, well... :P
JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:07 pm

JakeP Top 20 (20th January 2018)

ImageImageImageImageImage

01 (NE) Kylie Minogue - Dancing [1 wk] [#1] (1 wk @ #1)
02 (NE) Mabel & Not3s - Fine line [1 wk] [#2]
03 (01) Troye Sivan - My my my! [2 wks] [#1] (1 wk @ #1)
04 (04) Sigrid - Strangers [7 wks] [#2]
05 (02) Carrie Underwood featuring Ludacris - The champion [2 wks] [#2]
06 (03) Dua Lipa - Homesick [7 wks] [#1] (2 wks @ #1)
07 (NE) The Cranberries - Zombie [1 wk] [#7]
08 (08) Bruno Mars featuring Cardi B - Finesse [3 wks] [#8]
09 (06) Kesha - This is me [4 wks] [#2]
10 (07) Liam Payne & Rita Ora - For you [3 wks] [#3]
11 (14) Big Boi - All night [2 wks] [#11]
12 (09) Nico Santos - Rooftop [7 wks] [#9]
13 (12) Bebe Rexha featuring Florida Georgia Line - Meant to be [7 wks] [#6]
14 (NE) Dua Lipa - IDGAF [1 wk] [#14]
15 (13) Rita Ora - Anywhere [13 wks] [#1] (5 wks @ #1)
16 (NE) Hailee Steinfeld & BloodPop® - Capital letters [1 wk] [#16]
17 (NE) Troye Sivan - The good side [1 wk] [#17]
18 (NE) The Chainsmokers - Sick boy [1 wk] [#18]
19 (10) Eminem featuring Alicia Keys - Like home [5 wks] [#1] (2 wks @ #1)
20 (05) Taylor Swift featuring Ed Sheeran & Future - End game [2 wks] [#5]

The Hit Seeker

Rudimental featuring Jess Glynne, Macklemore & Dan Caplen - These days
JakeP
Manager

Postby heppolo » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:29 pm

Kylie at no.1 is always good.
Even if Zombie is not my favourite The Cranberries' song, it is iconic.
Waffles are checked cookies
heppolo
Legend

Postby JakeP » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:50 pm

heppolo wrote:Kylie at no.1 is always good.
Even if Zombie is not my favourite The Cranberries' song, it is iconic.
Thanks heppolo :D

I was so shocked when i read the sad news about Dolores O'Riordan's death. I was vaguely familiar with a couple of their bigger hits. I actually listened to Zombie a couple of times after listening to In my head on Eminem's album because i recognised the sample.
JakeP
Manager

Postby heppolo » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:23 pm

^I hope The Cranbeeries aren't going to be remembered by the current youth because of this sample only. Dolores had a couple of great songs up her sleeve, and the variety is staggering (from punk-ish ''Salvation'' to indie pop-like''Linger'', almost Cocteau Twins-esque ''Dreams'' and folk rock belter like ''Daffodils Lament'').
heppolo
Legend

Postby JakeP » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:18 am

heppolo wrote:^I hope The Cranbeeries aren't going to be remembered by the current youth because of this sample only. Dolores had a couple of great songs up her sleeve, and the variety is staggering (from punk-ish ''Salvation'' to indie pop-like''Linger'', almost Cocteau Twins-esque ''Dreams'' and folk rock belter like ''Daffodils Lament'').
That would be truly sad if we had a generation of young teens who would only remember The Cranberries purely through association with Eminem, and not actually do a bit of research to find out more about the artists whose music they listen to.

I've always had a soft spot for Dreams.
JakeP
Manager

Postby Benny » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:38 pm

Nice number one by Kylie and great classic by the Cranberries! :P
Benny
Legend

Postby JakeP » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:04 pm

Benny wrote:Nice number one by Kylie and great classic by the Cranberries! :P
Thanks Benny :D

I've been addicted to Kylie's new song since Friday evening, it really is such a joy to listen to. Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy. <3 :P

Delores gets a posthumous tribute entry. I was still quite surprised to read the sad news. She was only 49 which is such a young age to die. :( Eminem sampling Zombie brought the song to my attention as i recognised it from when i was young. I never imagined i'd be charting the single several weeks later as a tribute. :(
JakeP
Manager

Postby SummerPeur » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:24 pm

JAKEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Spoiler:
GURLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

Yes Kylie come through with that #1 8-). Honestly, I'm glad to see you really enjoy this song! Its a bit of a departure from what KMO was (Little bit glad of that), and it such a feel good song! Hopefully she manages a few weeks @ #1.

Still unsure how I feel about Troye's new song.......I still can't watch the video. How do you feel it fits in against his previous releases? Better, worse? etc. Maybe I just need to give it a few more chances, as I think he is talented.
Love, is love, is love. - Kylie M.
SummerPeur
Superstar

Postby JakeP » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:36 pm

SummerPeur wrote:JAKEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Spoiler:
GURLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL
!!! :lol: Thanks SummerPeur <3

SummerPeur wrote:
Yes Kylie come through with that #1 8-). Honestly, I'm glad to see you really enjoy this song! Its a bit of a departure from what KMO was (Little bit glad of that), and it such a feel good song! Hopefully she manages a few weeks @ #1.

Still unsure how I feel about Troye's new song.......I still can't watch the video. How do you feel it fits in against his previous releases? Better, worse? etc. Maybe I just need to give it a few more chances, as I think he is talented.
Kylie has had so many tracks make my top 20 in these last couple of years but that #1 single eluded her...until now. :D I just adore Dancing, its such a cute cuddly pop song. If Dancing was an animal it'd be a andrex puppy. Aww!!! :P

How could anyone not like this cute little song...i mean puppy. Adorable! xx :lol:

As for Troye, this is also his first time at #1 in my chart. For me personally i wouldn't hesitate in saying My my my! is probably already my favourite song of his. I'm a sucker ( :wink: :lol: :P ) for unashamed pure pop and that's what Troye delivered with this song. That said, TALK ME DOWN still holds a place in my heart as that was such a beautiful song. Troye was set to top my chart in 2015 with TALK ME DOWN but then Adele released Hello and there was no way Adele wasn't going to be #1 that particular weekend. My my my! was so instant, literally the first time i watched the video and heard that chorus i was living.
JakeP
Manager

Postby phoenix98 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:00 pm

JakeP wrote:Hey Paul :D
Hiya Jake :D

JakeP wrote:Ohh actually i think we do have Hallmark card shops, or at least that sounds familiar. Then again my knowledge of card shops in almost non existent. :lol: I know we have a Card cabin and a small card shop in the local market hall. That's still quite an interesting fact though.
Ah, Card Cabin is a new one on me - but they look pretty cute after a quick glance at their website! Ha, yeah, card shops in general are slowly-but-surely becoming a thing of the past. Even Hallmark has fewer and fewer free-standing stores in the States (you're more likely to find them in grocery stores and pharmacies.)

JakeP wrote:LOL that's amazing. Who doesn't love Mrs Bucket? :lol: :P
:lol: That makes me wonder - have I been mispronouncing "Jake" in my head this whole time? "It's Ja-KAY!"

JakeP wrote:Oh i'm sure he'll be happy that his strategy paid off. He knows the public in general love his music and he took full advantage of his fanbase. :lol: All three versions are dropping but i feel like the song has had its time now. It's still sad to think if the OCC didn't change the chart rules, then Perfect would've probably remained at #1 for another month. :roll: :x

The x factor has declined just like how download sales on iTunes have decreased. Maybe its a pure coincidence but Simon Cowell doesn't have a stranglehold over Spotify.
Yeah, like how it's still No. 1 in Australia, and likely would've been on the Hot 100 too if Camila's team hadn't been so good about capitalizing on her album-release-hype with the iTunes discount.

Great point - I shouldn't ignore the general "fading-fad" factor either when it comes to how the winners' singles have performed recently. The same happened with American Idol, where the winners' singles went from being (nearly) guaranteed No. 1's during the first handful of seasons to barely blips on the radar (before it got cancelled completely.)

JakeP wrote:I think the one thing that prevents Taylor from really winning me over is that most of her songs are incredibly immature. Oh yes i totally agree with I knew you were trouble. that is still my favourite Taylor single to date. She just comes across as quite cold and gives me the impression she's quite demanding. :oops:
I can see that - but I definitely have a soft spot for immature bops sometimes (like Katy Perry's "Birthday") :lol: Taylor does have her more reflective, insightful moments - but that side isn't really shown at all in her biggest hits like "Love Story", "We Are Never Ever...", "Shake It Off", "Bad Blood", etc. :lol:

JakeP wrote:There's still no music video but even then, there's no guarantee that a music video would do wonders for the song. That said, I don't want to live forever started out with a 16-19-36 ( :o ) chart run, before peaking at #5 in its tenth week on the chart. If For you continues to get strong radio airplay followed by strong music video airplay then we'll probably see Liam & Rita climb into the top 10 too in March. :P
:o I didn't realize that one took that long to peak (especially with names like that involved!) I should probably hold off on predicting doom for "For You" until the movie actually drops, at least...

JakeP wrote:Katy Perry has spent most of 2017 looking like somebody trying too hard. Her attitude hasn't been pleasant either, and all this because America elected Donald Trump as president.
:lol: It's definitely been a rough ride for her (way worse than I ever would've expected after PRISM.) It'll be interesting to see if she can get back on track next era, or if this era has really been a sign that most people have simply lost interest. It's kind of like we were saying about the likes of Rihanna and Ed VS Nicole Scherzinger and Matt Cardle - is the Katy Perry "brand" beyond repair, or does she just need to shift her sound?

JakeP wrote:Adele (2008)
Ellie Goulding (2010)
Years & Years (2015)
Keane (2004)
Sigrid (2018)
Jessie J (2011)
Haim (2013)
Little Boots (2009)
Sam Smith (2014)
Mika (2007)
50 Cent (2003)
Corrine Bailey Rae (2006)
Michael Kiwanuka (2012)
The Bravery (2005)
Ray BLK (2017)
Jack Garrett (2016)
Excellent ranking (especially since the only ones I've never heard of are at the very bottom) :lol: It looks like the majority have achieved at least some official chart success (and in some cases, quite a bit of success), so that's an encouraging sign for Sigrid! Either way, at least the voters gave her due credit.

JakeP wrote:I do feel like Troye's #1 was inevitable, he just hadn't quite got there previous as both Happy little pill and TALK ME DOWN peaked at #2. My my my! took full advantage of dry January and rocketed to #1 with absolute ease. Well, in the UK it's become his first top 40 single so that has to count for something even if the song doesn't peak any higher.
Exciting! That's certainly significant. It's not quite his highest on the Hot 100 yet (since "Youth" grew into a decent-sized Top 40 hit), but it's already his second-best peak!

JakeP wrote:LOL i've thought all along that the whole Reputation era got off to such an amazing start but then the record company got all overexcited, struck while the iron was hot and made a right mess of the album campaign from there onwards. When they released Gorgeous, that should've been the week they released both the song and video for ...ready for it?. Absolutely insane strategy that made no sense whatsoever. :lol: Call it what you want needn't have bothered either even if i did prefer this song, i still wasn't feeling any buzz after checking these songs out. :oops: As for End game, i do like the song even though it was the music video that helped provide that boost in my chart. That said, End game might not even remain in my top 10 tomorrow. :o
This era has been surprisingly messy for her, especially after the perfectly-planned and executed 1989 era (at least for the first five singles, anyway.) She's always released a few songs to iTunes ahead of her album releases (dating back to Fearless)...but then she started treating RFI like a proper single and dropped a video for it, only to move right along to promoting "End Game" soon after :-? I keep forgetting that "Gorgeous" was being treated as an official radio single in the UK too (when it already felt like they've been rushing through singles too quickly with LWYMMD, RFI, and EG...)

JakeP wrote:01 (NE) Kylie Minogue - Dancing [1 wk] [#1] (1 wk @ #1)
02 (NE) Mabel & Not3s - Fine line [1 wk] [#2]
04 (04) Sigrid - Strangers [7 wks] [#2]
06 (03) Dua Lipa - Homesick [7 wks] [#1] (2 wks @ #1)
07 (NE) The Cranberries - Zombie [1 wk] [#7]
08 (08) Bruno Mars featuring Cardi B - Finesse [3 wks] [#8]
09 (06) Kesha - This is me [4 wks] [#2]
10 (07) Liam Payne & Rita Ora - For you [3 wks] [#3]
13 (12) Bebe Rexha featuring Florida Georgia Line - Meant to be [7 wks] [#6]
14 (NE) Dua Lipa - IDGAF [1 wk] [#14]
15 (13) Rita Ora - Anywhere [13 wks] [#1] (5 wks @ #1)
16 (NE) Hailee Steinfeld & BloodPop® - Capital letters [1 wk] [#16]
20 (05) Taylor Swift featuring Ed Sheeran & Future - End game [2 wks] [#5]
o :o :o :o :D :D :D :cry: :cry: :cry: Yes! YeS! YES! Your adorable puppy comparison really is apt, as "Dancing" just feels so light, fluffy, and uplighting. It really does make you smile, and...well...dance! I love that it's given Kylie her first-ever No. 1 here - and a shared chart-topper between us (and Akini too!) is always a treat to see.
o She even managed to block Mabel (for now, at least.) After one quick listen, "Fine Line" doesn't have the same effect on me as "Finders Keepers", but I'll add it to my library and re-visit it over the coming week.
o Touching tribute to Dolores :cry: I've never owned a full Cranberries album, but their iconic smashes like "Zombie", "Linger", and "Dreams" are instantly recognizable. All staples of the 90's. RIP.
o I was definitely surprised that Dua went with such a high-concept video for "IDGAF" to follow-up her international breakthrough smash. I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing to make videos that are more thought-provoking and involve some obscure references, but it does strike me as a risky move at such a crucial time for her (to keep that momentum going.) The "New Rules" video offered something different and was REALLY well-done, without requiring us to do any outside research just to understand what's happening/what she's trying to convey.
o OUCH @ that drop for "End Game" :o Granted, I guess I shouldn't be too shocked after everything you've said about Taylor lately. :lol:

Yet another chart that gets me on my feet, Jake! :D
phoenix98
Legend

Postby JakeP » Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:20 pm

phoenix98 wrote: :lol: That makes me wonder - have I been mispronouncing "Jake" in my head this whole time? "It's Ja-KAY!"
Ja-KAY? :lol: Ohh no that's wrong. It's pronounced Jake i.e. rhymes with shake, bake, make, snake. :lol: So if you say Jay and then add a "k" sound on the end, thats how you pronounce my name. :wink:

phoenix98 wrote:Yeah, like how it's still No. 1 in Australia, and likely would've been on the Hot 100 too if Camila's team hadn't been so good about capitalizing on her album-release-hype with the iTunes discount.

Great point - I shouldn't ignore the general "fading-fad" factor either when it comes to how the winners' singles have performed recently. The same happened with American Idol, where the winners' singles went from being (nearly) guaranteed No. 1's during the first handful of seasons to barely blips on the radar (before it got cancelled completely.)
I'm quite surprised, although not particularly fussed either way, that Drake didn't go to #1 this week in Australia with God's plan. I've still not even heard the entire song as its all clickbait on YouTube. Having heard the iTunes preview i'm sure i'm not missing out on anything special. Oh wow i never knew that about American idol winners singles. I know Kelly Clarkson won but the first single and her winners song was A moment like this but for some reason i didn't think it was #1 as that was when US r'n'b and rap artists dominated the chart. Scary to think how Spotify has single handedly transported charts back to a very bleak time for popular music. :x

phoenix98 wrote:I can see that - but I definitely have a soft spot for immature bops sometimes (like Katy Perry's "Birthday") :lol: Taylor does have her more reflective, insightful moments - but that side isn't really shown at all in her biggest hits like "Love Story", "We Are Never Ever...", "Shake It Off", "Bad Blood", etc. :lol:
...and i've never fully invested in any of Taylor's albums so if the more adult orientated songs remain on the album then i'm never going to hear them. Well, unless i do my usual iTunes previews to get a feel for the album. Then again i did that with Reputation and very few tracks really caught my attention. It's just seemed to be a lot of style over substance. :oops:

phoenix98 wrote: :o I didn't realize that one took that long to peak (especially with names like that involved!) I should probably hold off on predicting doom for "For You" until the movie actually drops, at least...
Thinking about it, that third week drop for Taylor & Zayn might've been due to christmas week and we've seen how Spotify has made it so incredibly easy now for all the christmas classics to rocket up the charts only to disappear practically overnight once the big day has been and gone. The music video for For you was released yesterday and its stunning. Rita looks incredible and Liam sure looks tasty. :P Still a shame that his vocals are so non-descript but thankfully Rita does most of the work vocally which might explain why i've warmed to this song so much.

phoenix98 wrote: :lol: It's definitely been a rough ride for her (way worse than I ever would've expected after PRISM.) It'll be interesting to see if she can get back on track next era, or if this era has really been a sign that most people have simply lost interest. It's kind of like we were saying about the likes of Rihanna and Ed VS Nicole Scherzinger and Matt Cardle - is the Katy Perry "brand" beyond repair, or does she just need to shift her sound?
I still think the majority of the Witness album was so poor which was disappointing considering how much i loved Chained to the rhythm. Besides, Katy Perry did technically get a #1 with Feels which must count for something. I think Katy can easily turn things around. Just look at Britney Spears between 2005 and 2010. She still came back strong after her public mental breakdown, and that was surely worse than Katy Perry's political stance. Katy just needs to bring the hits Teenage dream era style, and she will be back on top of planet pop.

phoenix98 wrote:Excellent ranking (especially since the only ones I've never heard of are at the very bottom) :lol: It looks like the majority have achieved at least some official chart success (and in some cases, quite a bit of success), so that's an encouraging sign for Sigrid! Either way, at least the voters gave her due credit.
Poor Sigrid though. It proves how much of a farce our charts have become. Strangers was the second biggest selling downloaded track last week and that equated to #14 in the official charts. :evil: I just sigh now with the whole Spotify thing. I just can't fathom out how the same songs on average get the most plays day in, day out en masse ad nauseam. :roll: :(

I do hope Sigrid goes on to release more new music. I'd rather have that than a rehashing of Don't kill my vibe which didn't really do much for me when i checked out that song last year. I think that's why i loved Strangers so much more, it was such an unexpected surprise to hear an unashamed pop bop like this.

phoenix98 wrote:Exciting! That's certainly significant. It's not quite his highest on the Hot 100 yet (since "Youth" grew into a decent-sized Top 40 hit), but it's already his second-best peak!
Sadly it was short lived and after one week Troye exits he UK top 40. :( I remember reading about Youth becoming a long lasting success in America which i found really surprising. I'd have thought WILD would've been his big hit in America instead. Still, maybe the next official single from Troye can peak even higher. :D

phoenix98 wrote:This era has been surprisingly messy for her, especially after the perfectly-planned and executed 1989 era (at least for the first five singles, anyway.) She's always released a few songs to iTunes ahead of her album releases (dating back to Fearless)...but then she started treating RFI like a proper single and dropped a video for it, only to move right along to promoting "End Game" soon after :-? I keep forgetting that "Gorgeous" was being treated as an official radio single in the UK too (when it already felt like they've been rushing through singles too quickly with LWYMMD, RFI, and EG...)
I suspect the record company got overexcited which should've meant they paid even more attention into making the whole era as successful as possible. Yet it just ended up collapsing into a heap. :lol: Well ok, the album was #1 so it did the trick but since then its just lost all momentum. Again, i reckon the lack of quality (based on my own personal preference) might be what has ended up going against the albums long term success. There is no real incentive for anyone to buy the album now.

phoenix98 wrote: :o :o :o :o :D :D :D :cry: :cry: :cry: Yes! YeS! YES! Your adorable puppy comparison really is apt, as "Dancing" just feels so light, fluffy, and uplighting. It really does make you smile, and...well...dance! I love that it's given Kylie her first-ever No. 1 here - and a shared chart-topper between us (and Akini too!) is always a treat to see.
o She even managed to block Mabel (for now, at least.) After one quick listen, "Fine Line" doesn't have the same effect on me as "Finders Keepers", but I'll add it to my library and re-visit it over the coming week.
o Touching tribute to Dolores :cry: I've never owned a full Cranberries album, but their iconic smashes like "Zombie", "Linger", and "Dreams" are instantly recognizable. All staples of the 90's. RIP.
o I was definitely surprised that Dua went with such a high-concept video for "IDGAF" to follow-up her international breakthrough smash. I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing to make videos that are more thought-provoking and involve some obscure references, but it does strike me as a risky move at such a crucial time for her (to keep that momentum going.) The "New Rules" video offered something different and was REALLY well-done, without requiring us to do any outside research just to understand what's happening/what she's trying to convey.
o OUCH @ that drop for "End Game" :o Granted, I guess I shouldn't be too shocked after everything you've said about Taylor lately. :lol:

Yet another chart that gets me on my feet, Jake! :D
:lol: That puppy is just the cutest, i want one that looks exactly like that. Paw on toilet roll and everything. :lol: <3

Dancing was like candy floss only it isn't sickly sweet and still has enough bite to prevent the song from coming across as twee. Kylie has totally delivered imo and after scoring so many top 10 singles in 2015 and 2016, the success of Dancing going to #1 is so richly deserved. I was so pleasantly surprised to see Kylie also rocketing into your chart last weekend after just 24 hours.

How many times has a song entered your chart at #1 just 24 hours after release? :D

As much as i love Fine line, Dancing edges ahead every time. It's a shame both songs did end up getting released on the same date. Mabel could well have taken the #1 last week and then Kylie would've been able to take #1 had the song not leaked and been released as planned next Friday (2nd February).

I've posted elsewhere that i wasn't overly familiar with a lot of The Cranberries songs, but i definitely remember Zombie and i thought it was the bands biggest hit. It is certainly their most iconic and surely their signature tune. R.I.P. Delores <3 :cry: 46 is no age to die. :(

Whilst i find the music video for IDGAF interesting to watch, the song itself isn't quite as addictive as tracks like New rules, Homesick and even Scared to be lonely so its difficult to say just how successful this is going to fare in my chart.

LOL video effect only usually lasts for a week while its still fresh and trending on YouTube. :P After that its mostly down to the strength of the song that determines its longevity.

I'm glad my chart got you on your feet. :wink:
JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:29 pm

JakeP Top 20 (27th January 2018)

01 (01) Kylie Minogue - Dancing [2 wks] [#1] (2 wks @ #1)
02 (02) Mabel & Not3s - Fine line [2 wks] [#2]
03 (03) Troye Sivan - My my my! [3 wks] [#1] (1 wk @ #1)
04 (NE) Justin Timberlake featuring Chris Stapleton - Say something [1 wk] [#4]
05 (08) Bruno Mars featuring Cardi B - Finesse [4 wks] [#5]
06 (04) Sigrid - Strangers [8 wks] [#2]
07 (NE) Camila Cabello - She loves control [1 wk] [#7]
08 (11) Big Boi - All night [3 wks] [#8]
09 (NE) Rudimental featuring Jess Glynne, Macklemore & Dan Caplen - These days [1 wk] [#9]
10 (10) Liam Payne & Rita Ora - For you [4 wks] [#3]
11 (05) Carrie Underwood featuring Ludacris - The champion [3 wks] [#2]
12 (06) Dua Lipa - Homesick [8 wks] [#1] (2 wks @ #1)
13 (09) Kesha - This is me [5 wks] [#2]
14 (14) Dua Lipa - IDGAF [2 wks] [#14]
15 (RE) Lily Allen featuring Giggs - Trigger bang [2 wks] [#5]
16 (NE) Zedd, Maren Morris & Grey - The middle [1 wk] [#16]
17 (12) Nico Santos - Rooftop [8 wks] [#9]
18 (15) Rita Ora - Anywhere [14 wks] [#1] (5 wks @ #1)
19 (17) Troye Sivan - The good side [2 wks] [#17]
20 (NE) Mylène Farmer - Rolling stone [1 wk] [#20]

The Hit Seeker

Lady Gaga - Joanne (where do you think you are goin’?)
JakeP
Manager

Postby heppolo » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:43 pm

20 (NE) Mylène Farmer - Rolling stone [1 wk] [#20]
So lavish, grandiose.
heppolo
Legend

Postby JakeP » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:39 pm

heppolo wrote:20 (NE) Mylène Farmer - Rolling stone [1 wk] [#20]
So lavish, grandiose.
Thanks heppolo :D

It's certainly a more quirky and interesting track to listen to. Mylène also had a top 20 hit with the Sting duet Stolen car. :D
JakeP
Manager

Postby phoenix98 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:00 pm

JakeP wrote:Ja-KAY? :lol: Ohh no that's wrong. It's pronounced Jake i.e. rhymes with shake, bake, make, snake. :lol: So if you say Jay and then add a "k" sound on the end, thats how you pronounce my name. :wink:
Classic 8-) Interesting that you mention "snake" out of all the potential rhymes, though. Must be all our talk about Taylor lately... ;)

JakeP wrote:I'm quite surprised, although not particularly fussed either way, that Drake didn't go to #1 this week in Australia with God's plan. I've still not even heard the entire song as its all clickbait on YouTube. Having heard the iTunes preview i'm sure i'm not missing out on anything special. Oh wow i never knew that about American idol winners singles. I know Kelly Clarkson won but the first single and her winners song was A moment like this but for some reason i didn't think it was #1 as that was when US r'n'b and rap artists dominated the chart. Scary to think how Spotify has single handedly transported charts back to a very bleak time for popular music. :x
A No. 5 debut there does seem pretty low given all I'd read about it breaking streaming records. I don't know too much about how the Australian charts are compiled (aside from that they don't include airplay), so maybe streaming just doesn't count as much? Ha, yeah, the song isn't doing much for me either...but on the bright side, at least it's helped speed up turnover atop the Hot 100 :lol: The first five seasons of American Idol managed to produce a No. 1 hit (which was usually the winner's single, though runner-up Clay Aiken actually blocked his season's winner, Ruben Studdard.) They definitely relied on sales to make it to the top, which shows what a force that show was in the beginning, since physical single sales were otherwise virtually non-existent at that point. :lol:

JakeP wrote:Thinking about it, that third week drop for Taylor & Zayn might've been due to christmas week and we've seen how Spotify has made it so incredibly easy now for all the christmas classics to rocket up the charts only to disappear practically overnight once the big day has been and gone. The music video for For you was released yesterday and its stunning. Rita looks incredible and Liam sure looks tasty. :P Still a shame that his vocals are so non-descript but thankfully Rita does most of the work vocally which might explain why i've warmed to this song so much.
The "For You" video is lovely indeed! I was pleasanstly surprised that it didn't constantly cut away to clips from the movie either :lol: Usually I'm more inclined to defend Liam, but those damn arm tattoos are so distracting (especially when he's in formalwear like that) :x :lol: I haven't been tracking the song too closely, but it's in the UK iTunes Top 20 now, so it seems the video's had some effect/it should enjoy a rebound on tomorrow's official chart?

JakeP wrote:I still think the majority of the Witness album was so poor which was disappointing considering how much i loved Chained to the rhythm. Besides, Katy Perry did technically get a #1 with Feels which must count for something. I think Katy can easily turn things around. Just look at Britney Spears between 2005 and 2010. She still came back strong after her public mental breakdown, and that was surely worse than Katy Perry's political stance. Katy just needs to bring the hits Teenage dream era style, and she will be back on top of planet pop.
Ha, I'd already forgotten about "Feels" :lol: That's a great point, since it showed that she's still got some mass appeal/people aren't totally over her (though it didn't do quite as well on the Hot 100, peaking at No. 20. Granted, that's still much better than "Bon Appetit" or "Swish Swish" managed.) :oops:

**Fingers crossed** Katy's got her own "Womanizer" in store for us. ;)

JakeP wrote:Poor Sigrid though. It proves how much of a farce our charts have become. Strangers was the second biggest selling downloaded track last week and that equated to #14 in the official charts. :evil: I just sigh now with the whole Spotify thing. I just can't fathom out how the same songs on average get the most plays day in, day out en masse ad nauseam. :roll: :(
:o Damn, it's annoying that her streaming is lagging that far behind! It's still No. 2 on UK iTunes (and discounted), so hopefully she can still fight her way into the official chart's Top 10...

JakeP wrote:Sadly it was short lived and after one week Troye exits he UK top 40. :( I remember reading about Youth becoming a long lasting success in America which i found really surprising. I'd have thought WILD would've been his big hit in America instead. Still, maybe the next official single from Troye can peak even higher. :D
Yeah, idk why that one never managed to take off here (even with the new Alessia Cara version) :-? I'd love to see him gain more and more traction this era!

JakeP wrote: :lol: That puppy is just the cutest, i want one that looks exactly like that. Paw on toilet roll and everything. :lol: <3
Cuteness overload, for sure :D On that note, I don't think I've ever asked: do you have any pets?

JakeP wrote:Dancing was like candy floss only it isn't sickly sweet and still has enough bite to prevent the song from coming across as twee. Kylie has totally delivered imo and after scoring so many top 10 singles in 2015 and 2016, the success of Dancing going to #1 is so richly deserved. I was so pleasantly surprised to see Kylie also rocketing into your chart last weekend after just 24 hours.

How many times has a song entered your chart at #1 just 24 hours after release? :D
Ha, well... :oops: I mentioned this over in my thread, but I caved and downloaded the leak, so "Dancing" had a few days to accumulate plays before the end of my tracking week (midnight on Thursday, then I compile the chart using last.fm data available Friday morning. I just usually don't get around to posting it on UKMIX until the weekend.)

Since I compile my chart on Fridays (formerly Sundays, before I switched over at the start of 2017), songs usually aren't released in those final 24 hrs (since the US release date used to be Tuesday, before the world switched to Friday.) Thanks for asking, though! Do you have a list of the songs that have managed it on yours?

JakeP wrote:01 (01) Kylie Minogue - Dancing [2 wks] [#1] (2 wks @ #1)
02 (02) Mabel & Not3s - Fine line [2 wks] [#2]
03 (03) Troye Sivan - My my my! [3 wks] [#1] (1 wk @ #1)
04 (NE) Justin Timberlake featuring Chris Stapleton - Say something [1 wk] [#4]
05 (08) Bruno Mars featuring Cardi B - Finesse [4 wks] [#5]
06 (04) Sigrid - Strangers [8 wks] [#2]
07 (NE) Camila Cabello - She loves control [1 wk] [#7]
10 (10) Liam Payne & Rita Ora - For you [4 wks] [#3]
11 (05) Carrie Underwood featuring Ludacris - The champion [3 wks] [#2]
12 (06) Dua Lipa - Homesick [8 wks] [#1] (2 wks @ #1)
13 (09) Kesha - This is me [5 wks] [#2]
14 (14) Dua Lipa - IDGAF [2 wks] [#14]
15 (RE) Lily Allen featuring Giggs - Trigger bang [2 wks] [#5]
16 (NE) Zedd, Maren Morris & Grey - The middle [1 wk] [#16]
18 (15) Rita Ora - Anywhere [14 wks] [#1] (5 wks @ #1)
19 (17) Troye Sivan - The good side [2 wks] [#17]
o Awesome to see Kylie still shimmying away on top! Could the video release help her secure week #3...? That line dancing routine is too adorable for words <3 Your puppy comparison is more fitting than ever!
o "Say Something" has been the most palatable of Justin's three recent releases...but based on these offerings, I won't be rushing to check out the rest of Man Of The Woods. :oops:
o I've seen a lot of praise for "She Loves Control", so it seems like a smart selection for her next single. I was really pleasantly surprised by her album, and while "She Loves Control" didn't hit me quite as hard as few other tracks, it's definitely got hit potential.
o I've been totally hooked on "The Middle" this week! Zedd's worked magic for me many times before ("Spectrum", "Clarity", "Stay The Night", "I Want You To Know", "Stay", etc.), and the fact that the video dropped during The Grammys just drilled this one even deeper into my brain.

Yet another chart with all the right moves, Jake! :D
phoenix98
Legend

Postby JakeP » Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:00 pm

Hey Mr Paul :D

phoenix98 wrote:Classic 8-) Interesting that you mention "snake" out of all the potential rhymes, though. Must be all our talk about Taylor lately... ;)
LOL indeed the power of Taylor Swift and it just happened to be one of the first words i could think of. :lol: I thought Jake was quite a common name so find it interesting that you thought the pronunciation was different. :P

phoenix98 wrote:A No. 5 debut there does seem pretty low given all I'd read about it breaking streaming records. I don't know too much about how the Australian charts are compiled (aside from that they don't include airplay), so maybe streaming just doesn't count as much? Ha, yeah, the song isn't doing much for me either...but on the bright side, at least it's helped speed up turnover atop the Hot 100 :lol: The first five seasons of American Idol managed to produce a No. 1 hit (which was usually the winner's single, though runner-up Clay Aiken actually blocked his season's winner, Ruben Studdard.) They definitely relied on sales to make it to the top, which shows what a force that show was in the beginning, since physical single sales were otherwise virtually non-existent at that point. :lol:
It still puzzles me how many different countries compile their charts. :lol: I think Australia tends to have a 50/50 spilt between streaming and digital sales, but its a country that doesn't focus too much on sales and chart positions. Not like in the UK or at least it seems more important in the UK? :oops: It's amazing to think just how powerful the American idol brand was 15 years ago. Same here in the UK with The x factor. Times have definitely changed and, unless there's suddenly a revival for cd singles, i can't see any tv talent show having the same impact anymore.

phoenix98 wrote:The "For You" video is lovely indeed! I was pleasanstly surprised that it didn't constantly cut away to clips from the movie either :lol: Usually I'm more inclined to defend Liam, but those damn arm tattoos are so distracting (especially when he's in formalwear like that) :x :lol: I haven't been tracking the song too closely, but it's in the UK iTunes Top 20 now, so it seems the video's had some effect/it should enjoy a rebound on tomorrow's official chart?
LOL its just Liam Payne trying to appear edgy. Are those tattoos even real, or just those arm sleeves that you put on to make it look like you've got a tattoo on your arm? :lol: For you has recovered slightly but its still hovering near the bottom of the daily top 50 so at this rate it's never going to make the top 10. :roll:

phoenix98 wrote:Ha, I'd already forgotten about "Feels" :lol: That's a great point, since it showed that she's still got some mass appeal/people aren't totally over her (though it didn't do quite as well on the Hot 100, peaking at No. 20. Granted, that's still much better than "Bon Appetit" or "Swish Swish" managed.) :oops:

**Fingers crossed** Katy's got her own "Womanizer" in store for us. ;)
Scandalous! :lol: How can you forget the undeniable summer bop Feels? :P Ohh i thought it peaked higher than that in America. :oops:

You never know, i still reckon if Katy Perry comes back with an incredible song that'll help rekindle her chart power once again. :wink:

phoenix98 wrote: :o Damn, it's annoying that her streaming is lagging that far behind! It's still No. 2 on UK iTunes (and discounted), so hopefully she can still fight her way into the official chart's Top 10...
Sigrid make the top 10. :D :D :D 8-) 8-) 8-) :P :P :P I'm just so happy that Strangers has finally cracked the difficult UK top 10. Spotify continues to defy belief as i'm sure for the last week Sigrid has either been at #51 or #52 each day. Making the top 50 would give her such a boost but typically its not happening. :roll:

phoenix98 wrote:Yeah, idk why that one never managed to take off here (even with the new Alessia Cara version) :-? I'd love to see him gain more and more traction this era!
Me too. :D I hope Troye can have at least one bonafide genuine popular single from this era. That said, i thought My my my! would've had anticipation levels high enough to give the song a strong start in the US charts.

phoenix98 wrote:Cuteness overload, for sure :D On that note, I don't think I've ever asked: do you have any pets?
I don't have any pets at the moment. We had a german shepherd called Penny when i was young but i was devastated when she died. Pets always feel like part of the family so its difficult to come to terms with losing a pet that you've loved for so long. My parents didn't get anymore pets after Penny, i think they were also equally saddened. I don't think they were prepared to go through all that again. :cry:

Do you have any adorable pets? :P

phoenix98 wrote:Ha, well... :oops: I mentioned this over in my thread, but I caved and downloaded the leak, so "Dancing" had a few days to accumulate plays before the end of my tracking week (midnight on Thursday, then I compile the chart using last.fm data available Friday morning. I just usually don't get around to posting it on UKMIX until the weekend.)

Since I compile my chart on Fridays (formerly Sundays, before I switched over at the start of 2017), songs usually aren't released in those final 24 hrs (since the US release date used to be Tuesday, before the world switched to Friday.) Thanks for asking, though! Do you have a list of the songs that have managed it on yours?
Oh wow i need to go back and read that comment. I had no idea you downloaded the leak. Still, if that's all it took to give us a joint #1 then that's all that matters. :P :wink:

Ahh ok i thought you compiled your charts on Saturdays. Gosh that's a question and a half. :lol: These are the songs that went to #1 in my chart after 24 hours of release. I've not included songs that topped my chart before they were released in the UK.

Rhodes & Birdy - Let it all go
Sia - Alive
Adele - Hello
Katy Perry featuring Skip Marley - Chained to the rhythm
Clean Bandit featuring Zara Larsson - Symphony
P!nk - What about us
Troye Sivan - My my my!
Kylie Minogue - Dancing

Surprisingly none of my #1 singles in 2016 got to the top after 24 hours.

phoenix98 wrote:o Awesome to see Kylie still shimmying away on top! Could the video release help her secure week #3...? That line dancing routine is too adorable for words <3 Your puppy comparison is more fitting than ever!
o "Say Something" has been the most palatable of Justin's three recent releases...but based on these offerings, I won't be rushing to check out the rest of Man Of The Woods. :oops:
o I've seen a lot of praise for "She Loves Control", so it seems like a smart selection for her next single. I was really pleasantly surprised by her album, and while "She Loves Control" didn't hit me quite as hard as few other tracks, it's definitely got hit potential.
o I've been totally hooked on "The Middle" this week! Zedd's worked magic for me many times before ("Spectrum", "Clarity", "Stay The Night", "I Want You To Know", "Stay", etc.), and the fact that the video dropped during The Grammys just drilled this one even deeper into my brain.

Yet another chart with all the right moves, Jake! :D
I adore the music video for Dancing, its just so cute and cuddly and works perfectly with the song. So the inevitable music video boost should keep Kylie at #1 for another week... :wink:

I think Say something is quite comfortably the best song Justin Timberlake has released so far, and unlike Filthy, this latest track is set to stabilise nicely in my new chart. Honestly i've not even checked out the whole album yet. There was another video released yesterday for the title track Man of the woods but even that song did absolutely nothing for me and i haven't returned to that video since (and i'm sure i never will). Where are the songs Justin? :lol:

She loves control is such a great pop song. So much better than Never be the same which i'm still struggling to get into. I've also not even checked out the rest of Camila's album yet. Which tracks on the album are your personal favourites?

On first listen The middle didn't really grab my attention as i thought it sounded too much like Stay but there was still something about this track that appealed to me. I personally don't think its amazing but it does the job nicely and is even looking at spending a second week inside my top 20 thanks to the Target video boost. :wink:
JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:24 pm

JakeP Top 20 (3rd February 2018)

01 (01) Kylie Minogue - Dancing [3 wks] [#1] (3 wks @ #1)
02 (NE) Lady Gaga - Joanne (where do you think you’re goin’?) [piano version] [1 wk] [#2]
03 (02) Mabel & Not3s - Fine line [3 wks] [#2]
04 (04) Justin Timberlake featuring Chris Stapleton - Say something [2 wks] [#4]
05 (03) Troye Sivan - My my my! [4 wks] [#1] (1 wk @ #1)
06 (07) Camila Cabello - She loves control [2 wks] [#6]
07 (08) Big Boi - All night [4 wks] [#7]
08 (09) Rudimental featuring Jess Glynne, Macklemore & Dan Caplen - These days [2 wks] [#8]
09 (06) Sigrid - Strangers [9 wks] [#2]
10 (05) Bruno Mars featuring Cardi B - Finesse [5 wks] [#5]
11 (NE) Sofi Tukker featuring NERVO, The Knocks & Alisa Ueno - Best friend [1 wk] [#11]
12 (NE) P!nk - Wild hearts can’t be broken [1 wk] [#12]
13 (10) Liam Payne & Rita Ora - For you [5 wks] [#3]
14 (16) Zedd, Maren Morris & Grey - The middle [2 wks] [#14]
15 (12) Dua Lipa - Homesick [9 wks] [#1] (2 wks @ #1)
16 (13) Kesha - This is me [6 wks] [#2]
17 (NE) Shakira featuring Maluma - Trap [1 wk] [#17]
18 (NE) Paloma Faith - Til i’m done [1 wk] [#18]
19 (14) Dua Lipa - IDGAF [3 wks] [#14]
20 (RE) Hailee Steinfeld & BloodPop® - Capital letters [2 wks] [#16]

The Hit Seeker

Platon featuring Joolay - Taking me higher
JakeP
Manager

Postby SummerPeur » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:27 pm

01 (01) Kylie Minogue - Dancing [3 wks] [#1] (3 wks @ #1)
Kylie 3 weeks @ #1 :cry: :cry: . YES MAMA :lol: Did you enjoy the music video?
Spoiler:

02 (NE) Lady Gaga - Joanne (where do you think you’re goin’?) [piano version] [1 wk] [#2]
11 (NE) Sofi Tukker featuring NERVO, The Knocks & Alisa Ueno - Best friend [1 wk] [#11]
Great to see Lady G pop up as well! She really is showing some sides to her that I wouldn't of known existed back when she was popping out Poker Face and Bad Romance :lol:.

+ I didn't know this song (Best Friend), but I went and checked it out because it was featuring Nervo! (Who I enjoy); and I gotta say I really enjoyed it, so thanks for introducing me! :D. Are you a fan of Nervo as well?
Love, is love, is love. - Kylie M.
SummerPeur
Superstar

Postby heppolo » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:23 am

Okay song, Sofi Tukker & NERVO both had better tracks
heppolo
Legend

Return to Personal Charts