JakeP Top 20

Moderators: JSparksFan, tdc2000, FreakyFlyBry

Postby Mainshow » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:21 am

You're totally right! The "Sweetener" singles are somehow Arianna's holy trinity! I really hope she can even extend it by releasing "Everytime" :D

I wouldn't mind Dua Lipa goin' in the direction you mentioned as long as I get some new "New Rules", Room For 2"s on her next album.

Great to see your flawless Top 2 being stable this week! - Oh gosh, I didn't know Lana's got a new single!!! IS that the lead of her upcoming album? Need to check it out ASAP.
Mainshow
Legend

Postby JakeP » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:01 pm

RayRay wrote:
JakeP wrote:04 (NE) Mariah Carey - GTFO [1 wk] [#4]

06 (05) Calvin Harris & Sam Smith - Promises [4 wks] [#5]

08 (04) Ariana Grande - God is a woman [10 wks] [#1] (5 wks @ #1)
Great to see Mariah new on your chart. :D
Thanks RayRay :D

I posted in the GTFO thread about how much i was digging this track. This is by far Mariah's most successful single in my chart bettering her previous best peak of #15 for Lil snowman.
JakeP
Superstar

Postby JakeP » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:09 pm

Mainshow wrote:You're totally right! The "Sweetener" singles are somehow Arianna's holy trinity! I really hope she can even extend it by releasing "Everytime" :D

I wouldn't mind Dua Lipa goin' in the direction you mentioned as long as I get some new "New Rules", Room For 2"s on her next album.

Great to see your flawless Top 2 being stable this week! - Oh gosh, I didn't know Lana's got a new single!!! IS that the lead of her upcoming album? Need to check it out ASAP.
Thanks Mainshow :D

LOL it really is. Although i can't accept everytime as the holy trinity is supposed to be three things, not four. :P :lol: But yes, if they were going to release a fourth single then everytime would be my choice - that would make it the awesome foursome. :wink: :lol:

Dua Lipa has struck gold with these bops. Still a bit gutted that Scared to be lonely couldn't have been a bigger hit for Dua as she sounds divine on that track, or Homesick which i still think is a gorgeous ballad. <3 I'm sure the record label will be going all out to make Dua's second album an incredible one.

My top 2 were set in stone earlier in the week although breathin was still reasonably comfortable as the #1 song. Lana Del Rey's new single sure is the first single from her new album which is coming sometime in 2019. Lana put up a strong challenge but wasn't able to shift the stronger top 2 this time.
JakeP
Superstar

Postby Tansike » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:34 am

JakeP wrote:Hey Tansike :D

I'm doing well thanks. How was your holiday as i remember you saying you were going to visit your boyfriend's parents. How did that go? I'm sure you would've been just as lovely and charming as you are here on UK Mix. <3

Bebe Rexha managed to crack my top 20 thanks to the release of the music video to I'm a mess. Actually this would be Bebe's third single as lead artist following No broken hearts and Meant to be although her biggest success remains In the name of love. I was always a bit lukewarm towards I got you and never really loved that song, and even when the video was released it still didn't make much impression on me to dent my top 20. I do think Bebe has released better songs but they tend to be features. :oops:
Hey Jake :D

Glad you’re doing well! My vacation was great and yes, I met the family of my partner and as expected, they were all very kind and welcomed me so nicely. Thank you <3

It’s really interesting how the GP often embraces Bebe when she’s a featuring artist or when she’s doing a collaboration with others (“Meant To Be”). On the other side, her two most successful songs by far on my charts are “I Got You” and “I’m A Mess”, the two singles where she’s completely on her own, so sometimes I feel like my opinion towards Bebe is completely different than the one of most other people :lol: Anyways, I’m glad the video effect for “I’m A Mess” pushed it enough unlike it happened with “I Got You”.

JakeP wrote:God is a woman is amazing, it was so close between both Ariana songs but the MTV video music award 2018 performance was what gave the song enough of a boost to reclaim my #1 spot with breathin just marginally behind. :o
So you enjoyed her MTV performance? It was good, but I have to admit I expected more from the performance. Vocally it was as stunning as I hoped for.

JakeP wrote:Promises grew on me throughout the week as had i done my own midweek chart, it would've been lower than the top 10. I actually think Sam Smith sounds good on this track so i'm impressed at how good Sam sounds. Sometimes his nasal falsetto really irritates me. :oops: Calvin had admittedly released better songs over the years but yet i'm still finding Promises quite endearing.
It’s been two and a half weeks since that comment (uff… already?!) and I have to say “Promises” grew on me so much over that time. I think I even prefer it to “One Kiss” and it’s so good to have Sam back on the charts again. I’m still surprised nothing after “Too Good At Goodbyes” clicked with the public… I agree with you about Sam’s voice! :)

JakeP wrote:On the flip side, LP actually started the week ahead of Calvin but slipped throughout the week and i initially thought top 5 would be an easy target for LP to debut. Sadly it wan't to be and i think it'll take something magnificent to even match the heights of Lost on you. That said, i do like Girls gone wild but i don't see becoming a long running chart hit for me, and its already set to drop out of the top 10 in my new chart although it will remain inside the top 20. :wink:
Ah, I’m kinda glad to hear I’m not the only one who isn’t blown away by LP’s “Girls Go Wild”. After “Lost On You” (and other awesome songs such as “No Witness”) I really expected a much better return for her. In cases like this I’m always wondering if it’s just me who seems to be over an artist out of a sudden or if it’s really the song itself which isn’t as good as it ‘should be’.

JakeP wrote:JakeP Top 20 (15th September 2018)

01 (01) Ariana Grande - breathin [4 wks] [#1] (3 wks @ #1)
02 (02) Silk City & Dua Lipa featuring Diplo & Mark Ronson - Electricity [2 wks] [#2]
03 (NE) Lana Del Rey - Mariners apartment complex [1 wk] [#3]
04 (NE) Mariah Carey - GTFO [1 wk] [#4]
05 (08) Marshmello & Bastille - Happier [3 wks] [#5]
07 (NE) Hozier featuring Mavis Staples - Nina cried power [1 wk] [#7]
09 (NE) Lukas Graham - Love someone [1 wk] [#9]
11 (07) Freya Ridings - Lost without you [6 wks] [#1] (2 wks @ #1)
12 (03) Carrie Underwood - Love wins [2 wks] [#3]
13 (10) benny blanco, Halsey & Khalid - Eastside [6 wks] [#5]
14 (RE) Alan Walker featuring Au/Ra & Tomine Harket - Darkside [4 wks] [#7]
17 (NE) Nick Jonas & Robin Schulz - Right now [1 wk] [#17]
There’s a lot happening on your charts right now!

Impressive to see “Breathin” getting a third week at number one. I really didn’t expect Ariana to get three chart topping songs in the same year on your charts, but I’m loving it! With “No Tears” and GIAW she’s already at 10 weeks at #1 this year :cry:

Strong performance for “Electricity”, which unfortunately underwhelms me. It’s not a bad track but I just expected much more from a collaboration like this.

Great debut for Lana’s new track. Similar to “Love” and “Lust For Life”, “Mariners Apartment Complex” is a very good song but doesn’t have the same magic as most of her previous singles to me. But she simply set the bar so high with her first few releases and as I said, I still think this new song is very good.

Surprisingly high debut for “GTFO”, but the song is also surprisingly good. Actually the best new Mariah song I’ve heard in YEARS.

Nice entries for Hozier and Lukas Graham, even though I think both songs are not even close to their breakthrough stuff.

I was shocked when I saw the big debut for Carrie’s “Love Wins” a week ago, but I’m less surprised by the big drop in its second week. I guess it wasn’t the busiest week when it debuted at #3, right? Or how did it happen? I don’t remember seeing Carrie on your charts at all… Not that i would complain about it, i love her so much so an entry for Carrie is always welcome :)

Great re-entry for “Darkside”, and sooo nice to see “Right Now” appearing this week. A big guilty pleasure for me at the moment. It’s so generic but that’s why I’m probably loving it so much at the moment. I just need a basic bop every now and then and this is it for the moment.

Last but not least; I missed to comment on the charts where Jain’s “Alright” was in your Top20 and I loved that! Was it the first time she appeared on your list or did “Come” make it as well?
Also, glad to see how Troye shortly benefitted from the album release, especially the debut for “Plum” made me smile as it’s easily the best non-single track on “Bloom”.
Tansike
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:30 pm

JakeP wrote:It's a shame that Made for now didn't really do much after its week of release and seemed to just fizzle out as the hype died down. Still it makes me curious to hear what the new Janet material is gonna sound like. It also makes me wonder whether the buzz surrounding Made for now might have a positive knock on effect on the next single/album release and help Janet gain stronger chart success.
Yeah :( I guess that's the downside to dropping the video at the same time as the song: it gets more buzz/chart points during that first week, but then there's fewer ways to re-ignite interest in the following weeks. Time for a remix, maybe? I don't mind Daddy Yankee's bits, but I'd be interested to hear how the song sounds with a different guest on board (like someone outside the Reggaeton/Latin pop genre, to give the track a brand-new feel). Whatever they do (or don't do) with "Made For Now" from here on out, I just hope it doesn't lead to any album delays! :lol:

JakeP wrote:Oh wow, i wasn't sure if The 1975 had any previous chart entries in your chart. I certainly prefer these guys when they're at their most unashamedly pop. :lol:
They'd made a few appearances before "TOOTIME...", but I haven't checked out any of their albums in full (yet. I'm planning to give A Brief Inquiry Into Online Relationships a try).

"The Sound" = No. 1 peak | 5 weeks total | [G]
"Somebody Else" = No. 3 | 8 wks | [P]
"Love It If We Made It" = No. 3 | 4 wks | [G]

JakeP wrote:Directly after buying the album, Sincerely yours was my favourite new discovery from the unheard album tracks. That got to #2 off the back of the album release, but i would have to say Raining glitter. Yes it's another uptempo song but i think had the record label done a single mix and made it more "dancey" (think Body by Loud Luxury) it could've been another hit for Kylie...on iTunes! :oops: As Kylie was sadly never going to rake in those streaming numbers. :roll: As for Lost without you, that's probably the biggest turnaround imo as post album release it was the second lowest ranked out of all the album tracks - probably not helped by the fact it was towards the end of the album so i was already digging the tracks higher up the tracklist. But since then, my appreciation for Lost without you has increased so much but its kinda got lost with all the new music that has been released since then. If that was an official single, i could imagine it would quite easily make the top 10, if not top 5. <3
"Raining Glitter" would've been a GREAT pick! It's been another big fan favorite ever since it dropped, and I'd love to hear some remixes of it too!

I had a similar experience to yours with "Lost Without You" (it was one of my lowest-charting/least-played albums tracks after Golden was released), but it still hasn't grown on me much :oops: Maybe a single mix and video could change that? The spoken word intermission does help it stand out, at least.

JakeP wrote:Ohh nice to see you also love a bit of Electricity. :wink: Despite its impressive debut at #2 after just 2 days it was still a fair distance behind Ariana but that said, Silk City & Dua Lipa will definitely remain somewhere inside my top 5 in my new chart. As for Dua's album reissue i checked out new track Want to but it didn't really have much impact on me, and all i could hear was Power by Little Mix to some extent just not as catchy. :lol: :oops:
Yeah, "Want To" was massively disappointing :x Thankfully, we got "Electricity" right around the same time to make up for it! :lol:

JakeP wrote:Sometimes hearing a song in its entirety can make such a difference compared to a 90 minute preview on iTunes. That's pretty much what helped Seventeen shine brightly as the Troye track i ended up preferring the most. I was a little disappointed with a couple of the other tracks that weren't really having much impact on me hence no Troye Sivan domination. :( Aww it's a shame that you get the added bonus of these Target tracks, i don't think we'll get them in the UK as they're supposed to be exclusive to Target stores only. A clever marketing strategy to sell more albums but a shame other countries have to lose out. :x
It looks like HMV is carrying an edition of Bloom with the same two Target bonus tracks, but it's still annoying that these songs are only available through two specific retailers. Hopefully those tracks get added to iTunes and streaming services once whatever exclusivity deal he made with Target and HMV runs out.

JakeP wrote:The sound got to #14 but also only lasted one week in my chart, so TOOTIMETOOTIMETOOTIME is already their most successful single in my chart. :wink:
I definitely like the sound of that! ;)

JakeP wrote:01 (01) Ariana Grande - breathin [4 wks] [#1] (3 wks @ #1)
02 (02) Silk City & Dua Lipa featuring Diplo & Mark Ronson - Electricity [2 wks] [#2]
03 (NE) Lana Del Rey - Mariners apartment complex [1 wk] [#3]
04 (NE) Mariah Carey - GTFO [1 wk] [#4]
05 (08) Marshmello & Bastille - Happier [3 wks] [#5]
10 (NE) LSD featuring Sia, Diplo & Labrinth - Thunderclouds [1 wk] [#10]
11 (07) Freya Ridings - Lost without you [6 wks] [#1] (2 wks @ #1)
12 (03) Carrie Underwood - Love wins [2 wks] [#3]
13 (10) benny blanco, Halsey & Khalid - Eastside [6 wks] [#5]
14 (RE) Alan Walker featuring Au/Ra & Tomine Harket - Darkside [4 wks] [#7]
15 (NE) Dean Lewis - Be alright [1 wk] [#15]
16 (NE) Paul McCartney - Fuh you [1 wk] [#16]
17 (NE) Nick Jonas & Robin Schulz - Right now [1 wk] [#17]
19 (20) Loud Luxury featuring brando - Body [15 wks] [#1] (2 wks @ #1)
• LOVE that Top 5 debut for "GTFO" :D Mariah's really missed the mark with some of her offerings in the 2010's ("Triumphant (Get 'Em)," "I Don't," "The Star," etc.), so my expectations weren't super high, but "GTFO" is a ton of catchy, saucy fun! "might as well down this Caymus bottle, I ain't the type to play the martyr..." (Though I definitely thought she was saying "Guinness bottle" until I looked up the lyrics). :lol:
• Speaking of catchy, saucy fun, "Fuh You" fits the bill pretty well too.
• Looks like "Be Alright" has been taking the world by storm! Already a massive smash in Australia, several Top 20 placements across Europe, now making great strides in the UK...

Yet another chart that's breathed new life into me, Jake! :D
phoenix98
Legend

Postby RayRay » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:26 pm

JakeP wrote:
RayRay wrote:
JakeP wrote:04 (NE) Mariah Carey - GTFO [1 wk] [#4]

Great to see Mariah new on your chart. :D
Thanks RayRay :D

I posted in the GTFO thread about how much i was digging this track. This is by far Mariah's most successful single in my chart bettering her previous best peak of #15 for Lil snowman.
Great to read you had some love for Lil Snowman. I love that song.
RayRay
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:42 pm

JakeP wrote:
Mainshow wrote:You're totally right! The "Sweetener" singles are somehow Arianna's holy trinity! I really hope she can even extend it by releasing "Everytime" :D

Thanks Mainshow :D

LOL it really is. Although i can't accept everytime as the holy trinity is supposed to be three things, not four. :P :lol: But yes, if they were going to release a fourth single then everytime would be my choice - that would make it the awesome foursome. :wink: :lol:

Dua Lipa has struck gold with these bops. Still a bit gutted that Scared to be lonely couldn't have been a bigger hit for Dua as she sounds divine on that track, or Homesick which i still think is a gorgeous ballad. <3 I'm sure the record label will be going all out to make Dua's second album an incredible one.

My top 2 were set in stone earlier in the week although breathin was still reasonably comfortable as the #1 song. Lana Del Rey's new single sure is the first single from her new album which is coming sometime in 2019. Lana put up a strong challenge but wasn't able to shift the stronger top 2 this time.
Sadly, it seems that we won't get even "Breathin'" as a single :( (I can totally understand it, though)
Lana will probably rise a bit on your chart when the music video will be out. She usually comes up with fresh ideas.
Mainshow
Legend

Postby JakeP » Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:17 am

Tansike wrote:Hey Jake :D

Glad you’re doing well! My vacation was great and yes, I met the family of my partner and as expected, they were all very kind and welcomed me so nicely. Thank you <3

It’s really interesting how the GP often embraces Bebe when she’s a featuring artist or when she’s doing a collaboration with others (“Meant To Be”). On the other side, her two most successful songs by far on my charts are “I Got You” and “I’m A Mess”, the two singles where she’s completely on her own, so sometimes I feel like my opinion towards Bebe is completely different than the one of most other people :lol: Anyways, I’m glad the video effect for “I’m A Mess” pushed it enough unlike it happened with “I Got You”.
Hi Tansike :D

Aww i'm so happy it went well (never doubted you for a second :wink: <3 ). Are you planning on going back again soon, or maybe next year?

I think a lot of stigma surrounding Bebe Rexha stems from both radio stations and music channels in the UK anyways. They seemed to play songs like Meant to be and In the name of love without hesitation. Yet songs like I'm a mess and I got you i've never heard on radio or music channels. Unlike they have been played and i wasn't tuned in at that time, but some songs go into heavy rotation where they become inescapable but Bebe's solo singles are never amongst them.

Tansike wrote:So you enjoyed her MTV performance? It was good, but I have to admit I expected more from the performance. Vocally it was as stunning as I hoped for.
Well i suppose i was expecting more from the choir part towards the end. If Ariana had a gospel choir on stage to sing the "God is a woman" ad libs that could've elevated the performance to "OMG" status. As it was, i thought it was still an impressive performance and usually with any of these live shows, there's that sense of unpredictability that draws me in. Also Ariana sounded flawless so i could understand why she didn't move around too much otherwise that could've affected her vocals.

breathin was still a fairly close second and as such has reaped the rewards since then by spending 3 weeks so far at #1 in my chart. I'd love for breathin to get an exceptional music video but i have gut feeling this isn't going to happen now. :(

Tansike wrote:It’s been two and a half weeks since that comment (uff… already?!) and I have to say “Promises” grew on me so much over that time. I think I even prefer it to “One Kiss” and it’s so good to have Sam back on the charts again. I’m still surprised nothing after “Too Good At Goodbyes” clicked with the public… I agree with you about Sam’s voice! :)
LOL where does the time go? :lol: I also thought i'd get over Promises fairly quick but its held up strongly and of course that fabulous gay themed music video managed to keep my interest in the song afloat. :wink:

Tansike wrote:Ah, I’m kinda glad to hear I’m not the only one who isn’t blown away by LP’s “Girls Go Wild”. After “Lost On You” (and other awesome songs such as “No Witness”) I really expected a much better return for her. In cases like this I’m always wondering if it’s just me who seems to be over an artist out of a sudden or if it’s really the song itself which isn’t as good as it ‘should be’.
It's always tricky whenever an artist has such an excellent breakthrough single such as Lost on you and whilst LP has had two further #1 singles in my chart, they've not matched the longevity and success that Lost on you enjoyed in 2016. Girls go wild is a good song, it's just not a great song. I'm still hopeful that the next LP single will rectify this and potentially give LP another top 5 hit at least. It really all depends on the song though.

Tansike wrote:There’s a lot happening on your charts right now!
Yes it really turned out to be a choc-a-block week of new releases and some bubblers that had been missing the cut finally getting into the top 20 lower down.

Tansike wrote:Impressive to see “Breathin” getting a third week at number one. I really didn’t expect Ariana to get three chart topping songs in the same year on your charts, but I’m loving it! With “No Tears” and GIAW she’s already at 10 weeks at #1 this year :cry:
I'm still disappointed that Sweetener imo didn't turn out to be the epic pop album of the year that i anticipated based on how amazing No tears left to cry and God is a woman are. I'm just happy that i made at least one amazing discovery from the album with breathin which has pretty much been a hit to some extent already so that's a great achievement for an album track. <3

LOL i hadn't even thought about that but yes, Ariana has indeed had 10 weeks in total so far at #1 in my chart in 2018. Can Ariana add any more to that tally? :P

Tansike wrote:Strong performance for “Electricity”, which unfortunately underwhelms me. It’s not a bad track but I just expected much more from a collaboration like this.
When i first checked out Electricity i was loving what i was hearing. My initial irk came from the part where they tampered with Dua's vocals to make her sound more like a male singer, but i was already drawn into the song. A second listen pretty much confirmed i was loving the track and even the Dua vocal effect didn't bother me either. :lol:

Tansike wrote:Great debut for Lana’s new track. Similar to “Love” and “Lust For Life”, “Mariners Apartment Complex” is a very good song but doesn’t have the same magic as most of her previous singles to me. But she simply set the bar so high with her first few releases and as I said, I still think this new song is very good.
Personally, i thought Love was exceptional and her best lead single since Video games but that only highlights how much i truly loved Love as i'd still say other lead singles like Ride and West coast were also incredible. I also love Mariners apartment complex which right now i would rank just below the songs already mentioned, but possibly above High by the beach and i even loved that song to some extent (Terrence loves you remains the better track though :P :lol: ). This all just summarises just how awesome Lana's music is. I have had to look back and see which artist has had the most top 5 singles in my chart but i suspect Lana is up there amongst the best.

Tansike wrote:Surprisingly high debut for “GTFO”, but the song is also surprisingly good. Actually the best new Mariah song I’ve heard in YEARS.
It's quite comfortably Mariah's best single since #Beautiful although that song had already peaked by the time i joined UK Mix and started compiling my own chart. Well, i say "chart" i always thought people compiled playlists to listen to music in a particular order and this chart stemmed from that idea. :lol:

Tansike wrote:Nice entries for Hozier and Lukas Graham, even though I think both songs are not even close to their breakthrough stuff.
It's nice to have former #1 acts returning with strong comeback singles. Take me to church and 7 years will always be two of my favourite songs of the 10s - still fascinates me that they both topped my personal chart months before they became a bonafide hit in the UK.

Tansike wrote:I was shocked when I saw the big debut for Carrie’s “Love Wins” a week ago, but I’m less surprised by the big drop in its second week. I guess it wasn’t the busiest week when it debuted at #3, right? Or how did it happen? I don’t remember seeing Carrie on your charts at all… Not that i would complain about it, i love her so much so an entry for Carrie is always welcome :)
You know my chart so well. :lol: Carrie actually did benefit from a quieter week for general music consumption and it was the lyric video on YouTube that caught my attention. Love wins took advantage of the quiet week to debut at #3 and was already destined to drop heavily last weekend but then the music video was released. That surprisingly helped the song recover and "only" drop to #12. Otherwise Carrie would've been lower, possibly close to exiting the top 20. :o Carrie has had a few singles in my chart in the last 3 years. Carrie got to #2 in January with The greatest which is her highest charting single in my chart but again this was achieved in a quiet week. Sometimes songs just need a little luck and perfect timing and they end up doing really well.

Tansike wrote:Great re-entry for “Darkside”, and sooo nice to see “Right Now” appearing this week. A big guilty pleasure for me at the moment. It’s so generic but that’s why I’m probably loving it so much at the moment. I just need a basic bop every now and then and this is it for the moment.
Alan Walker took quite a sharp tumble a few weeks back and has steadily been missing the cut each week until finally re-entering last week. Although that said Darkside is looking set to exit the top 20 again tonight. Same with Nick Jonas tbh. It was seeing the song in your top 5 that reignited my interest in the song. The Tansike influence remains as strong as ever. :wink:

Tansike wrote:Last but not least; I missed to comment on the charts where Jain’s “Alright” was in your Top20 and I loved that! Was it the first time she appeared on your list or did “Come” make it as well?
Also, glad to see how Troye shortly benefitted from the album release, especially the debut for “Plum” made me smile as it’s easily the best non-single track on “Bloom”.
Jain got to #10 with Come in 2016 and is still her most successful single in my chart although Alright did really well getting two weeks on the chart.

Troye's album ended up being similar to Sweetener in the sense that i thought it was going to be a really strong album based on the single. Again, whilst i made some nice discoveries there were still a couple of other tracks on the album that didn't really have much impact on me. 2018 has been such a disappointing year for albums overall that since January i've only bought one. :o
JakeP
Superstar

Postby JakeP » Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:48 am

phoenix98 wrote:Yeah :( I guess that's the downside to dropping the video at the same time as the song: it gets more buzz/chart points during that first week, but then there's fewer ways to re-ignite interest in the following weeks. Time for a remix, maybe? I don't mind Daddy Yankee's bits, but I'd be interested to hear how the song sounds with a different guest on board (like someone outside the Reggaeton/Latin pop genre, to give the track a brand-new feel). Whatever they do (or don't do) with "Made For Now" from here on out, I just hope it doesn't lead to any album delays! :lol:
I think sadly that was probably the only way they could really help Janet get a new entry in the US billboard chart. It cases like these when i long for the days when iTunes ruled and the charts were so exciting to follow. Do you think they will try to keep pushing Made for now with new mixes or alternative versions, or will they focus on the next single now? Or maybe put all the attention into making the album as successful they possibly can.

phoenix98 wrote:They'd made a few appearances before "TOOTIME...", but I haven't checked out any of their albums in full (yet. I'm planning to give A Brief Inquiry Into Online Relationships a try).

"The Sound" = No. 1 peak | 5 weeks total | [G]
"Somebody Else" = No. 3 | 8 wks | [P]
"Love It If We Made It" = No. 3 | 4 wks | [G]
Ohh so they've got a semi decent chart history. I can't really explain it but some of their songs just don't really appeal to me yet when the guys lean towards pop that's when i find myself enjoying those songs the most. Once a teenybopper, always a teenybopper. :lol: :P

phoenix98 wrote:"Raining Glitter" would've been a GREAT pick! It's been another big fan favorite ever since it dropped, and I'd love to hear some remixes of it too!

I had a similar experience to yours with "Lost Without You" (it was one of my lowest-charting/least-played albums tracks after Golden was released), but it still hasn't grown on me much :oops: Maybe a single mix and video could change that? The spoken word intermission does help it stand out, at least.
Raining glitter should've been released as the follow up to Stop me from falling so it seems like a wasted opportunity when the record label decided to release it as an instant grat instead. Lost without you turned into an earworm but a slow burner so my love for the song was much more gradual compared the instant highlights like Sincerely yours. I still wouldn't have personally chosen A lifetime to repair as a single, and if they really wanted it to be single they should've left it as the album version as the single version is really pointless imo. :oops:

phoenix98 wrote:Yeah, "Want To" was massively disappointing :x Thankfully, we got "Electricity" right around the same time to make up for it! :lol:
Electricity is still sounding so cool and i'm sure will be looking set for a third week inside my top 5 tonight. 8-)

phoenix98 wrote:It looks like HMV is carrying an edition of Bloom with the same two Target bonus tracks, but it's still annoying that these songs are only available through two specific retailers. Hopefully those tracks get added to iTunes and streaming services once whatever exclusivity deal he made with Target and HMV runs out.
Have you heard those two exclusive Troye songs? If so, what are your opinions on them. :P

phoenix98 wrote:• LOVE that Top 5 debut for "GTFO" :D Mariah's really missed the mark with some of her offerings in the 2010's ("Triumphant (Get 'Em)," "I Don't," "The Star," etc.), so my expectations weren't super high, but "GTFO" is a ton of catchy, saucy fun! "might as well down this Caymus bottle, I ain't the type to play the martyr..." (Though I definitely thought she was saying "Guinness bottle" until I looked up the lyrics). :lol:
• Speaking of catchy, saucy fun, "Fuh You" fits the bill pretty well too.
• Looks like "Be Alright" has been taking the world by storm! Already a massive smash in Australia, several Top 20 placements across Europe, now making great strides in the UK...

Yet another chart that's breathed new life into me, Jake! :D
Like i posted in reply to Tansike, this is my favourite Mariah single since #Beautiful in 2013 whilst her singles over the last 2/3 years have only been minor hits for me. I love the production on GTFO and i'm kinda surprised they didn't release this as an official single and instead are saying With you will be the first official single. LOL if only Mariah really was singing "Guinness bottle". :lol:

The music video for **** you was released last week and it was trending on YouTube so i watched it out of curiosity. The song itself imo is the best of the songs released so far and i thought the video was kinda funny.

I have to admit Be alright has been a slow burner and bubbled outside my top 20 for a couple of weeks but finally got into the top 20. Australia have been on a roll with homegrown talent with Dean Martin and 5 Seconds Of Summer having two of the years biggest worldwide hits. It's a lovely pleasant song although i still think Dean sounds like he's singing with an english accent rather than australian on the song. :oops:
JakeP
Superstar

Postby JakeP » Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:49 am

RayRay wrote:Great to read you had some love for Lil Snowman. I love that song.
What is your favourite Mariah song of all time? :D
JakeP
Superstar

Postby JakeP » Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:53 am

Mainshow wrote:Sadly, it seems that we won't get even "Breathin'" as a single :( (I can totally understand it, though)
Lana will probably rise a bit on your chart when the music video will be out. She usually comes up with fresh ideas.
Aww really? :cry: Has this been confirmed by the record company or something? Are they going with a different track instead for the next official single?

LOL music videos tend to have that effect on songs i enjoy, but Lana is looking set to drop down in my new chart this evening.
JakeP
Superstar

Postby JakeP » Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:33 pm

JakeP Top 20 (22nd September 2018)

ImageImageImageImageImage

01 (NE) Avril Lavigne - Head above water [1 wk] [#1] (1 wk @ #1)
02 (NE) Sigala, Ella Eyre & Meghan Trainor featuring French Montana - Just got paid [1 wk] [#2]
03 (01) Ariana Grande - breathin [5 wks] [#1] (3 wks @ #1)
04 (02) Silk City & Dua Lipa featuring Diplo & Mark Ronson - Electricity [3 wks] [#2]
05 (03) Lana Del Rey - Mariners apartment complex [2 wks] [#3]
06 (05) Marshmello & Bastille - Happier [4 wks] [#5]
07 (RE) Years & Years - All for you [3 wks] [#7]
08 (NE) Lana Del Rey - Venice bitch [1 wk] [#8]
09 (09) Lukas Graham - Love someone [2 wks] [#9]
10 (08) Ariana Grande - God is a woman [11 wks] [#1] (5 wks @ #1)
11 (04) Mariah Carey - GTFO [2 wks] [#4]
12 (07) Hozier featuring Mavis Staples - Nina cried power [2 wks] [#7]
13 (06) Calvin Harris & Sam Smith - Promises [5 wks] [#5]
14 (15) Dean Lewis - Be alright [2 wks] [#14]
15 (RE) Niall Horan - Finally free [8 wks] [#1] (1 wk @ #1)
16 (10) LSD featuring Sia, Diplo & Labrinth - Thunderclouds [2 wks] [#10]
17 (11) Freya Ridings - Lost without you [7 wks] [#1] (2 wks @ #1)
18 (13) benny blanco, Halsey & Khalid - Eastside [7 wks] [#5]
19 (NE) Kesha - Here comes the change [1 wk] [#19]
20 (19) Loud Luxury featuring brando - Body [16 wks] [#1] (2 wks @ #1)

The Hit Seeker

Rita Ora - Let you love me
JakeP
Superstar

Postby RayRay » Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:36 pm

JakeP wrote:JakeP Top 20 (22nd September 2018)

The Hit Seeker

Rita Ora - Let you love me
Great to see Ariana's God Is A Woman still doing fine. :D
Shame though that Mariah has felt out of your Top 5. :(
Great Hit Seeker. :D
RayRay
Legend

Postby JakeP » Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:50 pm

RayRay wrote:Great to see Ariana's God Is A Woman still doing fine. :D
Shame though that Mariah has felt out of your Top 5. :(
Great Hit Seeker. :D
Thanks RsyRay :D

God is a woman is still one of my favourite songs around. I still think there's more weeks in the chart to come although right now breathin is the Ariana song that's getting most of my attention. 8-)

Sadly Mariah ended up being overshadowed by the new releases from Lana and Avril during the week plus all the other songs i'm still loving. GTFO still did incredibly well to get to #4 last week. :wink:

I only got round to listening the Rita Ora's new single this morning and it was already superior to Girls after one play. :lol:
JakeP
Superstar

Postby RayRay » Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:59 pm

JakeP wrote:
I only got round to listening the Rita Ora's new single this morning and it was already superior to Girls after one play. :lol:
I also loved it right after one time listening. Never really liked Girls.
But Rita's new single will enter high on my charts next week.
RayRay
Legend

Postby JakeP » Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:52 pm

RayRay wrote:I also loved it right after one time listening. Never really liked Girls.
But Rita's new single will enter high on my charts next week.
Girls just didn't click with me, probably because i couldn't relate to the lyrics! :lol: :wink: But just the song itself was a bit of a miss for me.

I've always regarded Rita Ora as inconsistent artists, for every Anywhere there's a Poison in her discography. :x

At least Let you love me is a step in the right direction.
JakeP
Superstar

Postby phoenix98 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:30 pm

JakeP wrote:I think sadly that was probably the only way they could really help Janet get a new entry in the US billboard chart. It cases like these when i long for the days when iTunes ruled and the charts were so exciting to follow. Do you think they will try to keep pushing Made for now with new mixes or alternative versions, or will they focus on the next single now? Or maybe put all the attention into making the album as successful they possibly can.
Yeah, poor Mariah couldn't even crack the Hot 100 that way (dropping the video during the same week as the single) :cry: Good question! I wouldn't be shocked if Janet dropped some "Made For Now" dance mixes, but I don't expect much more of a push beyond that. Supposedly she has a "little project" coming sometime this fall, so maybe we'll get a video for each track on an EP? I can dream, anyway... :lol:

JakeP wrote:Raining glitter should've been released as the follow up to Stop me from falling so it seems like a wasted opportunity when the record label decided to release it as an instant grat instead. Lost without you turned into an earworm but a slow burner so my love for the song was much more gradual compared the instant highlights like Sincerely yours. I still wouldn't have personally chosen A lifetime to repair as a single, and if they really wanted it to be single they should've left it as the album version as the single version is really pointless imo. :oops:
Agreed. Of all the things to invest time/money into, that remix/"edit" was such a waste. It just made an already-debatable single choice worse :x Oh well, at least the scrapbook-style lyric video was pretty cute and clever.

JakeP wrote:Have you heard those two exclusive Troye songs? If so, what are your opinions on them. :P
I just found uploads of both on SoundCloud: "Running Shoes" and "This This." "Running Shoes" sounds quite nice! I would've taken it over "The Good Side" or "What A Heavenly Way To Die" on the standard edition :lol: I'm less sold on "This This" right away, but I still hope they make these two tracks more widely available at some point. **Fingers crossed**

JakeP wrote:I have to admit Be alright has been a slow burner and bubbled outside my top 20 for a couple of weeks but finally got into the top 20. Australia have been on a roll with homegrown talent with Dean Martin and 5 Seconds Of Summer having two of the years biggest worldwide hits. It's a lovely pleasant song although i still think Dean sounds like he's singing with an english accent rather than australian on the song. :oops:
:lol: I'm no accent expert, but "Be Alright" does give off a slight Ed Sheeran vibe to me. I've also seen some comparisons made to another Brit: James Bay.

JakeP wrote:01 (NE) Avril Lavigne - Head above water [1 wk] [#1] (1 wk @ #1)
02 (NE) Sigala, Ella Eyre & Meghan Trainor featuring French Montana - Just got paid [1 wk] [#2]
04 (02) Silk City & Dua Lipa featuring Diplo & Mark Ronson - Electricity [3 wks] [#2]
06 (05) Marshmello & Bastille - Happier [4 wks] [#5]
14 (15) Dean Lewis - Be alright [2 wks] [#14]
15 (RE) Niall Horan - Finally free [8 wks] [#1] (1 wk @ #1)
16 (10) LSD featuring Sia, Diplo & Labrinth - Thunderclouds [2 wks] [#10]
17 (11) Freya Ridings - Lost without you [7 wks] [#1] (2 wks @ #1)
18 (13) benny blanco, Halsey & Khalid - Eastside [7 wks] [#5]
19 (NE) Kesha - Here comes the change [1 wk] [#19]
20 (19) Loud Luxury featuring brando - Body [16 wks] [#1] (2 wks @ #1)
• Fabulous debut for Avril! Did her last album spawn any big hits here? Some "Hello Kitty" domination, perhaps? ;) "Head Above Water" inspired me to revisit some of her older ballads, and I'd forgotten just how many excellent ones she's given us over the years!
• LOVIN' that Top 10 re-entry and new peak for "All For You." I preferred the more colorful, campy first video, but I'm still glad they gave the song another one to help push it as a proper single now.
• I get that it exists to promote the movie, but the "Finally Free" video OBVIOUSLY needed more Niall and less film footage ;) Replace some of that Small Foot with Niall's big...

Yet another chart that quenches my thirst, Jake! :D
phoenix98
Legend

Postby JakeP » Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:52 pm

phoenix98 wrote:Yeah, poor Mariah couldn't even crack the Hot 100 that way (dropping the video during the same week as the single) :cry: Good question! I wouldn't be shocked if Janet dropped some "Made For Now" dance mixes, but I don't expect much more of a push beyond that. Supposedly she has a "little project" coming sometime this fall, so maybe we'll get a video for each track on an EP? I can dream, anyway... :lol:
Ohh i rarely keep up to date with the US billboard chart. So GTFO failed to make the top 100? :o I would've thought with the iTunes and YouTube views it would've dented the chart even if it was just new at #100.

The Janet situation really is an odd one to analyse. Were people in general genuinely interested in Janet's return? Granted Made for now was successful on iTunes and YouTube and live performances kept the hype going for a few days. It would just seem strange to go from all that to nothing else prior to the album release. But you mention she's supposedly ( :lol: ) got a little project coming so who knows how this will play out. :P

phoenix98 wrote:Agreed. Of all the things to invest time/money into, that remix/"edit" was such a waste. It just made an already-debatable single choice worse :x Oh well, at least the scrapbook-style lyric video was pretty cute and clever.
It was a cute lyric video but overall its impact was dampened with the single edit. A shame though because i've been mightily impressed with how much effort Kylie's record company has put into making the Golden era a very successful one.

phoenix98 wrote:I just found uploads of both on SoundCloud: "Running Shoes" and "This This." "Running Shoes" sounds quite nice! I would've taken it over "The Good Side" or "What A Heavenly Way To Die" on the standard edition :lol: I'm less sold on "This This" right away, but I still hope they make these two tracks more widely available at some point. **Fingers crossed**
Ohh! :D :wink: Thanks for the links i must check these out after i post this. I shall give my verdict on how much i've enjoyed (or not as the case may be :x ) next week.

phoenix98 wrote: :lol: I'm no accent expert, but "Be Alright" does give off a slight Ed Sheeran vibe to me. I've also seen some comparisons made to another Brit: James Bay.
Ahh it's because of The Streets Dry your eyes which has the main lyric "dry your eyes mate" and is one of the few songs i can think of that includes the word "mate". Even though its quite common to hear australians saying "g'day mate", i still can't help but associate the word "mate" with british lad culture. :lol: Hmm i don't personally see the James Bay comparison but then again Hold back the river is James' only moderate chart hit, he's just never really appealed to me. :oops:

phoenix98 wrote:• Fabulous debut for Avril! Did her last album spawn any big hits here? Some "Hello Kitty" domination, perhaps? ;) "Head Above Water" inspired me to revisit some of her older ballads, and I'd forgotten just how many excellent ones she's given us over the years!
• LOVIN' that Top 10 re-entry and new peak for "All For You." I preferred the more colorful, campy first video, but I'm still glad they gave the song another one to help push it as a proper single now.
• I get that it exists to promote the movie, but the "Finally Free" video OBVIOUSLY needed more Niall and less film footage ;) Replace some of that Small Foot with Niall's big...

Yet another chart that quenches my thirst, Jake! :D
This is actually Avril's first appearance in my chart. Here's to never growing up was released a few months before i started my own chart but i suspect it would've only been a minor hit without much longevity. Hello kitty didn't chart, so i either didn't like the song or it completely passed me by at the time of its release. Head above water is a truly amazing song, i love the musicality and the lyrics especially knowing how ill Avril has been over the last 5 years, it's an empowering song listening to Avril's strong vocal delivery. <3

Ahh yes i know you're a big fan of All for you. It's kinda strange because i should love this unashamed pop bop but it still hasn't had the same level of impact that previous songs like King and Shine had on me.

Tbh i watched the music video for Finally free when it was uploaded on YouTube and i will admit i was disappointed. I didn't even bother posting it in the pop forum because i could tell very little effort went into that video. I can understand that Niall wants to be taken seriously as a singer/songwriter and musician but it'd become boring if all his music videos ended up being footage of him on stage singing and playing the guitar. On the loose is probably his most definitive "music video" yet most of the video is shots of the female model. :evil: That said, it got my listening to the song a bit more than usual (well, compared the last few weeks) so that's why Niall re-entered. :P Aww, if only. We even discussed the idea of us directing a Niall music video. I think we need to make this happen now. :lol: :wink: <3
JakeP
Superstar

Postby JSparksFan » Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:08 am

Just checked out "Just Got Paid". It's catchy! The new Avril song is a bit sub-par, but I still like it. "Venice Bitch" is lengthy, but, surprisingly, I don't mind at all. It's a second winner in a row from Lana.

Akini's Top 100 Songs of 2018: [60-51]

The broken world waits in darkness for the light that is in you.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby heppolo » Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:15 am

okay-ish song, Lana was clearly inspired by Mazzy Star with her latest singles
Waffles are checked cookies
heppolo
Legend

Postby JakeP » Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:51 am

JSparksFan wrote:Just checked out "Just Got Paid". It's catchy! The new Avril song is a bit sub-par, but I still like it. "Venice Bitch" is lengthy, but, surprisingly, I don't mind at all. It's a second winner in a row from Lana.

Thanks Akini :D

Sigala knows how to create really uplifting pop/dance music. <3 I've been a fan ever since Easy love became his big breakthrough single. I've also listened to 3 of his new album tracks and i've enjoyed all three of them. Curious to see what the rest of his album is like.

Aww i personally think Avril's single is amazing. It got that essence of early Avril rock ballads which gives the song a retro feel, rather than sounding "dated". I also like the video and had i not known, i wouldn't have noticed that Avril had been superimposed over all the gorgeous scenery.

As much as i like Venice bitch its length does go against the song. I could listen to Mariners apartment complex twice in the time its takes me to listen Venice bitch once. :lol: I agree that Lana has certainly delivered once again. <3
JakeP
Superstar

Postby JakeP » Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:54 am

heppolo wrote:08 (NE) Lana Del Rey - Venice bitch [1 wk] [#8]
Thanks heppolo :D

I think you mentioned this in the pop forum thread but i don't know who Mazzy Star is/are? :oops:
JakeP
Superstar

Postby heppolo » Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:08 am

JakeP wrote:
heppolo wrote:08 (NE) Lana Del Rey - Venice bitch [1 wk] [#8]
Thanks heppolo :D

I think you mentioned this in the pop forum thread but i don't know who Mazzy Star is/are? :oops:
early 90s indie pop/folk band, which had a minor hit with ''Fade Into You''
Waffles are checked cookies
heppolo
Legend

Postby JakeP » Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:11 pm

heppolo wrote:early 90s indie pop/folk band, which had a minor hit with ''Fade Into You''
I can definitely understand your comment now. It does indeed have a similar mellowness about the track.
JakeP
Superstar

Postby JakeP » Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:21 pm

JakeP Top 20 (29th September 2018)

ImageImageImageImageImage

01 (01) Avril Lavigne - Head above water [2 wks] [#1] (2 wks @ #1)
02 (03) Ariana Grande - breathin [6 wks] [#1] (3 wks @ #1)
03 (06) Marshmello & Bastille - Happier [5 wks] [#3]
04 (02) Sigala, Ella Eyre & Meghan Trainor featuring French Montana - Just got paid [2 wks] [#2]
05 (04) Silk City & Dua Lipa featuring Diplo & Mark Ronson - Electricity [4 wks] [#2]
06 (09) Lukas Graham - Love someone [3 wks] [#6]
07 (NE) MK, Jonas Blue & Becky Hill - Back & forth [1 wk] [#7]
08 (NE) Christine And The Queens - 5 dollars [1 wk] [#8]
09 (05) Lana Del Rey - Mariners apartment complex [3 wks] [#3]
10 (NE) Rita Ora - Let you love me [1 wk] [#10]
11 (NE) Khalid - Better [1 wk] [#11]
12 (14) Dean Lewis - Be alright [3 wks] [#12]
13 (13) Calvin Harris & Sam Smith - Promises [6 wks] [#5]
14 (10) Ariana Grande - God is a woman [12 wks] [#1] (5 wks @ #1)
15 (07) Years & Years - All for you [4 wks] [#7]
16 (08) Lana Del Rey - Venice bitch [2 wks] [#8]
17 (11) Mariah Carey - GTFO [3 wks] [#4]
18 (NE) Sophie Ellis Bextor - Love is you [1 wk] [#18]
19 (NE) Mumford & Sons - Guiding light [1 wk] [#19]
20 (20) Loud Luxury featuring brando - Body [17 wks] [#1] (2 wks @ #1)

The Hit Seeker

Sigala featuring Kylie Minogue - What you waiting for
JakeP
Superstar

Return to Personal Charts