JakeP Top 20

Moderators: JSparksFan, tdc2000, FreakyFlyBry

Postby Mainshow » Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:53 am

I started to love your #1! The music video is also great and tbh, I love it that she shot the music video at Vík in Iceland! - I think I just "missed" her because I was there back in August 2018 :D - The scenary is amazing!

Nice to see "Breathin" rise & "Guding Light" by Mumford & Sons debut! - Rita Ora's new single is no "Love Song" or "Anywhere" but it's still very good! Hope it will grow on me a bit (even though I already like it). Great chart again!
Mainshow
Legend

Postby JakeP » Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:36 pm

Mainshow wrote:I started to love your #1! The music video is also great and tbh, I love it that she shot the music video at Vík in Iceland! - I think I just "missed" her because I was there back in August 2018 :D - The scenary is amazing!

Nice to see "Breathin" rise & "Guding Light" by Mumford & Sons debut! - Rita Ora's new single is no "Love Song" or "Anywhere" but it's still very good! Hope it will grow on me a bit (even though I already like it). Great chart again!
Thanks Mainshow

Avril has truly delivered an epic piano ballad which i'm so happy about. I just wish the song would start raking in those streaming numbers to make it a bonafide chart hit, a song as strong as Head above water doesn't deserve to be going unnoticed. :evil:

I've read comments suggesting Avril wasn't actually in Iceland and that her visuals were superimposed over the Iceland scenery. I really don't know what to believe but what i do know is that the music video is stunning. <3 It all works so well with the powerful music.

breathin is still one of the best pop songs around at the moment and its continuing to hold up impressively on Spotify. As for Guiding light, whilst i do enjoy the song there are a few other Mumford & Sons tracks i prefer much more.

Rita Ora may hold up reasonably well this coming weekend but i doubt it'll be anywhere near as successful as Anywhere was in my chart last year.
JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:45 pm

JakeP Top 20 6th October 2018)

ImageImageImageImageImage

01 (NE) Alan Walker & Sophia Somajo - Diamond heart [1 wk] [#1] (1 wk @ #1)
02 (NE) Lady Gaga & Bradley Cooper - Shallow [1 wk] [#2]
03 (01) Avril Lavigne - Head above water [3 wks] [#1] (2 wks @ #1)
04 (NE) Sigala featuring Kylie Minogue - What you waiting for [1 wk] [#4]
05 (02) Ariana Grande - breathin [7 wks] [#1] (3 wks @ #1)
06 (04) Sigala, Ella Eyre & Meghan Trainor featuring French Montana - Just got paid [3 wks] [#2]
07 (NE) Muse - Pressure [1 wk] [#7]
08 (03) Marshmello & Bastille - Happier [6 wks] [#3]
09 (06) Lukas Graham - Love someone [4 wks] [#6]
10 (07) MK, Jonas Blue & Becky Hill - Back & forth [2 wks] [#7]
11 (05) Silk City & Dua Lipa featuring Diplo & Mark Ronson - Electricity [5 wks] [#2]
12 (10) Rita Ora - Let you love me [2 wks] [#10]
13 (NE) Jessie Ware - Overtime [1 wk] [#13]
14 (NE) Sigala featuring Kodaline - All for love [1 wk] [#14]
15 (NE) Mariah Carey - With you [1 wk] [#15]
16 (14) Ariana Grande - God is a woman [13 wks] [#1] (5 wks @ #1)
17 (09) Lana Del Rey - Mariners apartment complex [4 wks] [#3]
18 (NE) Michael Bublé - When i fall in love [1 wk] [#18]
19 (08) Christine And The Queens - 5 dollars [2 wks] [#8]
20 (13) Calvin Harris & Sam Smith - Promises [7 wks] [#5]

The Hit Seeker

Ava Max - Sweet but psycho
JakeP
Manager

Postby Fan » Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:19 pm

Hii :D

Shallow is gorgeous <3 Have you seen the movie already?

The Avril track is great as well, something she could have easily released ten years ago (and I mean this in a positive way). I have always liked me a bit of Avril and this fits perfectly into her discography.
The Kylie song is maybe the worst Kylie song I have ever heard :oops: Dislike it strongly.

Let Me Love You is SO good. I just adore it. Cannot sit still while listening to it, hope my neighbours have been enjoying it :lol:

The new Jessie song was such a nice surprise, wasn't expecting her to release something new. A different direction after the last record, it reminds me a bit of Imagine It Was Us, good to see her going back to the dance sound a bit more. I saw her live in the beginning of the year and she is such a joy <3

5 Dollars is gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous.
i wanna see you on your knees, wanna see you begging
Fan
Legend

Postby cheapthrills » Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:56 am

Yay, Shallow is doing well here. A little disappointed she didn't stay at #1, but at least it is a song by Alan Walker, who really nails heartbreak EDM so well :)

Just starting to notice Happier now, I feel so behind the curve :)
Vote for songs in the Summertime Madness Tournament!
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby luckyONE » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:33 am

nice debut for "What You Waiting For". I haven't enjoyed a Kylie solo song since "All The Lovers", but I do like her collabs. I think this is my favorite. I actually like the entire "Brighter Days" album by SIGALA. It has some great bops.
luckyONE
Superstar

Postby Tansike » Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:46 pm

JakeP wrote:Aww i'm so happy it went well (never doubted you for a second :wink: <3 ). Are you planning on going back again soon, or maybe next year?

I think a lot of stigma surrounding Bebe Rexha stems from both radio stations and music channels in the UK anyways. They seemed to play songs like Meant to be and In the name of love without hesitation. Yet songs like I'm a mess and I got you i've never heard on radio or music channels. Unlike they have been played and i wasn't tuned in at that time, but some songs go into heavy rotation where they become inescapable but Bebe's solo singles are never amongst them.
Thank you <3
Honestly, I don’t know! I would love to go back as soon as possible, but there’s one thing that could be a reason why it won’t happen next year… and that’s the best friend of my partner. He went with my partner to the Philippines in the previous ten years as he’s also kinda part of the family now, and this year was the first time he didn’t go (because of me). And this ‘relationship’ is really difficult so it’s either him or me who would go :( Anyways, this is really OT so… :oops:

True! And I think that was the problem in many other countries as well. Which is weird, as the hits also lived from Bebe’s vocals, so it’s not like she would be the problem :-?

JakeP wrote:Well i suppose i was expecting more from the choir part towards the end. If Ariana had a gospel choir on stage to sing the "God is a woman" ad libs that could've elevated the performance to "OMG" status. As it was, i thought it was still an impressive performance and usually with any of these live shows, there's that sense of unpredictability that draws me in. Also Ariana sounded flawless so i could understand why she didn't move around too much otherwise that could've affected her vocals.

breathin was still a fairly close second and as such has reaped the rewards since then by spending 3 weeks so far at #1 in my chart. I'd love for breathin to get an exceptional music video but i have gut feeling this isn't going to happen now. :(
Yesss!! I was waiting for more as well on that part! :lol: But as you say, it still was a great performance. Especially after the weak performances for “No Tears Left To Cry”. Somehow I never got into these even though I adore the song itself.

We never know. She really seems to already record the next album so it’s not like she’s taking a break from everything. Here’s hope she still finds some time to release a video for “Breathin”, the message of the song still fits so well to her whole situation.

JakeP wrote:I'm still disappointed that Sweetener imo didn't turn out to be the epic pop album of the year that i anticipated based on how amazing No tears left to cry and God is a woman are. I'm just happy that i made at least one amazing discovery from the album with breathin which has pretty much been a hit to some extent already so that's a great achievement for an album track. <3

LOL i hadn't even thought about that but yes, Ariana has indeed had 10 weeks in total so far at #1 in my chart in 2018. Can Ariana add any more to that tally? :P
While I agree with that and feel the same, I have to say “Sweetener” still is a very strong album. Have you heard the full album or did you check out the snippets on iTunes?

She didn’t so far, but 10 is a great number of weeks so I’m totally fine with that :cool:

JakeP wrote:Personally, i thought Love was exceptional and her best lead single since Video games but that only highlights how much i truly loved Love as i'd still say other lead singles like Ride and West coast were also incredible. I also love Mariners apartment complex which right now i would rank just below the songs already mentioned, but possibly above High by the beach and i even loved that song to some extent (Terrence loves you remains the better track though :P :lol: ). This all just summarises just how awesome Lana's music is. I have had to look back and see which artist has had the most top 5 singles in my chart but i suspect Lana is up there amongst the best.
Ah yeah, I still remember how we talked about that back when “Love” came out and you said how much you loved it. It’s funny how basically everyone seems to like her lead singles a lot, but then everyone would rank them differently. I think after all these years, “High By The Beach” may be my second favorite one behind “Video Games”. Very glad to hear this about the Top5 singles – her discography is definitely so strong for being still quite new in the game!
How would you compare “Mariners Apartment Complex” to the latest “Venice Bitch”?

JakeP wrote:You know my chart so well. :lol: Carrie actually did benefit from a quieter week for general music consumption and it was the lyric video on YouTube that caught my attention. Love wins took advantage of the quiet week to debut at #3 and was already destined to drop heavily last weekend but then the music video was released. That surprisingly helped the song recover and "only" drop to #12. Otherwise Carrie would've been lower, possibly close to exiting the top 20. :o Carrie has had a few singles in my chart in the last 3 years. Carrie got to #2 in January with The greatest which is her highest charting single in my chart but again this was achieved in a quiet week. Sometimes songs just need a little luck and perfect timing and they end up doing really well.
Of course! :P In the end, a Top3 hit is a Top3 hit so even though it was during a quiet week, I’m very happy Carrie managed to do it with “Love Wins”. It’s far from being her best song or single but since I know she’s not really a name on your charts, it makes me very happy how she was able to do that!

JakeP wrote:Alan Walker took quite a sharp tumble a few weeks back and has steadily been missing the cut each week until finally re-entering last week. Although that said Darkside is looking set to exit the top 20 again tonight. Same with Nick Jonas tbh. It was seeing the song in your top 5 that reignited my interest in the song. The Tansike influence remains as strong as ever. :wink:
<3 <3 <3
It’s a surprise for myself how much I love “Right Now” and I’m not surprised that I’m basically the only one, as it not only flops on every personal charts, but also on the charts overall! I just can’t help myself and bop to it, and it probably helps that it’s Nick Jonas :oops:
As for “Darkside” – who would have thought we would get an even stronger song so soon :o

JakeP wrote:Jain got to #10 with Come in 2016 and is still her most successful single in my chart although Alright did really well getting two weeks on the chart.
Thanks – so she has two entries on both of your charts so far :cool:

JakeP wrote:01 (NE) Alan Walker & Sophia Somajo - Diamond heart [1 wk] [#1] (1 wk @ #1)
07 (NE) Muse - Pressure [1 wk] [#7]
Fantastic #1!
This is such a great surprise and I’m so damn happy Alan Walker is back to form! “Darkside” already made a much bigger impression to me than nearly all follow-ups to “Faded”, and now he’s back with an even stronger song :o I feel like Sophia sounding like Sia also helps a little bit… this is definitely a deserved #1 :cool:

Also impressive and deserved debut for “Shallow”. Another surprise this year, it’s currently such a great time to be a Gaga fan as she’s smashing so hard with the whole soundtrack at the moment. Are you planning to see the movie?

Love Avril’s comeback single, the success on your charts is quite a surprise though. Did you always enjoy her songs that much?

Glad to see Ariana still smashing. Also great debut for “Pressure”, definitely the best single of their upcoming album so far.

Overall a strong Top20 :)

I missed these two entries two weeks ago:
07 (RE) Years & Years - All for you [3 wks] [#7]
08 (NE) Lana Del Rey - Venice bitch [1 wk] [#8]

And it’s quite shocking how both already left your Top20! Especially Lana’s “Venice Bitch”, such a dreamy pop song :cry: But I guess its length isn’t really something for you?
“All For You” is a great single choice and I don’t get why they are underperforming this era. Just when I was about to really like them :cry:
Tansike
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:10 pm

JakeP wrote:Ohh i rarely keep up to date with the US billboard chart. So GTFO failed to make the top 100? :o I would've thought with the iTunes and YouTube views it would've dented the chart even if it was just new at #100.
Same :cry: Especially since it spent some time at No. 2 on US iTunes. I know sales are way down overall, but the fact that it wasn't enough to even make a dent in the Hot 100 was a heartbreaking surprise. </3

JakeP wrote:It was a cute lyric video but overall its impact was dampened with the single edit. A shame though because i've been mightily impressed with how much effort Kylie's record company has put into making the Golden era a very successful one.
Indeed - and we're still getting a FIFTH single too :o Granted, not all of them have gotten a full push ("Lifetime" never got a regular video), but the attention given to this era has been a really nice change of pace after the mere two main singles from Kiss Me Once (well, and that "Sexercize" video...)

JakeP wrote:This is actually Avril's first appearance in my chart. Here's to never growing up was released a few months before i started my own chart but i suspect it would've only been a minor hit without much longevity. Hello kitty didn't chart, so i either didn't like the song or it completely passed me by at the time of its release. Head above water is a truly amazing song, i love the musicality and the lyrics especially knowing how ill Avril has been over the last 5 years, it's an empowering song listening to Avril's strong vocal delivery. <3
Absolutely!

JakeP wrote:Ahh yes i know you're a big fan of All for you. It's kinda strange because i should love this unashamed pop bop but it still hasn't had the same level of impact that previous songs like King and Shine had on me.
Aw, it's a shame that the song still doesn't do much for you...but I appreciate you labelling it an "unashamed pop bop" anyway. <3

JakeP wrote:Tbh i watched the music video for Finally free when it was uploaded on YouTube and i will admit i was disappointed. I didn't even bother posting it in the pop forum because i could tell very little effort went into that video. I can understand that Niall wants to be taken seriously as a singer/songwriter and musician but it'd become boring if all his music videos ended up being footage of him on stage singing and playing the guitar. On the loose is probably his most definitive "music video" yet most of the video is shots of the female model. :evil: That said, it got my listening to the song a bit more than usual (well, compared the last few weeks) so that's why Niall re-entered. :P Aww, if only. We even discussed the idea of us directing a Niall music video. I think we need to make this happen now. :lol: :wink: <3
Based on the videos we got for "Seeing Blind" and "Finally Free," he needs our (expert) help - and our guiding hands - more than ever! ;)

JakeP wrote:01 (NE) Alan Walker & Sophia Somajo - Diamond heart [1 wk] [#1] (1 wk @ #1)
06 (04) Sigala, Ella Eyre & Meghan Trainor featuring French Montana - Just got paid [3 wks] [#2]
11 (05) Silk City & Dua Lipa featuring Diplo & Mark Ronson - Electricity [5 wks] [#2]
19 (08) Christine And The Queens - 5 dollars [2 wks] [#8]

Ava Max - Sweet but psycho
• So you've gone from your "Head" to your "Heart," eh? Alan's racked up quite a few hits here over the past couple years, but it looks like this is his first No. 1 since "Faded"? Exciting!
• Don't let Fan's smear campaign dampen your enjoyment of "What You Waiting For" ;) I will say it's a tad underwhelming given Kylie's stellar catalog, but it's still a perfectly pleasant feel-good bop!
• "With You" made a pretty weak first impression on me (I REALLY wasn't feeling the "with you, you, you" hook), but the lyrics do have a way of sticking with you. On one hand, I'd still hesitate to call the song "catchy" overall, but parts of it have been randomly popping into my head from time-to-time: "she was full of such trepidation, there in front of the whole damn nation..."
• I had to give "Sweet But Psycho" a listen after seeing you call it an "unashamed pure pop song" over in Akini's thread - and you're totally right! Thanks for bringing it to my attention!

Yet another chart with a heart of gold, Jake! :D
phoenix98
Legend

Postby RayRay » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:52 pm

JakeP wrote:JakeP Top 20 6th October 2018)

18 (NE) Michael Bublé - When i fall in love [1 wk] [#18]

You have some really good songs on your chart, but Mariah should be way higher. :wink:
RayRay
Legend

Postby Fan » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:19 pm

phoenix98 wrote:

• Don't let Fan's smear campaign dampen your enjoyment of "What You Waiting For" ;) I will say it's a tad underwhelming given Kylie's stellar catalog, but it's still a perfectly pleasant feel-good bop!

The shade!! :o :lol:
Fan
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:56 pm

Wow, didn't know that Avril "shot" the vide in front of a green screen. Iceland is simply beautiful.. she should go back and do some sightseeing ;)

Nice to see Avri's comeback single still being part of your Top 3! Lovely debut for "Shallow" - They play it on the radios here quite frequently... just watched the music video and I have to admit, the soundtrack is absolutely amazing! Need to buy it ASAP. The movie itself was a bit "disappointing", though. After the amazing reviews I just expected "more" and a deeper/more emotional/dramatic plot. However, GaGa saved it. What an incredible actress!

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES! So amazing to see Michael Bublé debut!!! I absolutely adore this song! Jesus, this song turned me into a 40 years-old desperate housewife inside... this is so romantic.. I am melting away every time I hear it.
Mainshow
Legend

Postby SummerPeur » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:36 pm

I've missed a few chart upates, forgive me Jake :(. Most of my time has been dedicated to Kylie's artist thread :cry:.

HOWEVER I AM JUST IN TIMEEEEEEEEEEEE FOR.......

04 (NE) Sigala featuring Kylie Minogue - What you waiting for
Kylie back into the Top 4 8-). While I wanted a bit more POWA from this collab, this is instant good feel vibes. Kylie once again shows that no one can do dance pop so easily and gracefully.

05 (02) Ariana Grande - breathin
08 (03) Marshmello & Bastille - Happier
breathin on the way out - however I'm sure it might get resurrected once the video premiers. I've only just listened to this little Marhsmello and Bastille collab.....its, ugh, interesting. I know it's meant to be a 'feel positive and love life' song, however it seems so forced and his voice carries no emotion at all. Though I AM LIVINGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG for the Miranda gag. :D

11 (05) Silk City & Dua Lipa featuring Diplo & Mark Ronson - Electricity
15 (NE) Mariah Carey - With you
I feel like Dupa explored the versatility of her voice a lot more on Electricity. I never got into New Rules (I actually hated it), however One Kiss took me by storm, and now the same has happened with Electricity. What is happening to me :cry: :cry:

Ah, and the forever mesmerizing MIMI makes her debut @ #15 with With You. To me it's a return to form, and a return to form that was needed none to sooner. After GTFO took us to a positive direction, With You has carried that on. Should the video release later today be another WBT or TMB, I expect America to have their sweetheart back.
SummerPeur wrote:Time stops for the Kween everytime WBT is performed.
Goldmoney wrote:So does her microphone
SummerPeur
Legend

Postby JakeP » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:05 am

Fan wrote:Hii :D

Shallow is gorgeous <3 Have you seen the movie already?

The Avril track is great as well, something she could have easily released ten years ago (and I mean this in a positive way). I have always liked me a bit of Avril and this fits perfectly into her discography.
The Kylie song is maybe the worst Kylie song I have ever heard :oops: Dislike it strongly.

Let Me Love You is SO good. I just adore it. Cannot sit still while listening to it, hope my neighbours have been enjoying it :lol:

The new Jessie song was such a nice surprise, wasn't expecting her to release something new. A different direction after the last record, it reminds me a bit of Imagine It Was Us, good to see her going back to the dance sound a bit more. I saw her live in the beginning of the year and she is such a joy <3

5 Dollars is gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous.
Hey Fan :D

I agree Shallow is gorgeous. Not seen the film yet but still quite intrigued in seeing it as its getting good reviews apparently.

Avril's return is amazing, i know what you mean. :lol: It's just a classic sounding rock ballad that would've been a hit 10 years ago. It's just disappointing that in the era of Spotify, songs like these don't enjoy the chart success they so richly deserve. :cry:

As for Sigala & Kylie...no :P :wink:

I still much prefer Anywhere which is now Rita Ora's benchmark for getting another #1 in my chart. I do like Let you love me though but its not going to be competing for my #1 spot.

Jessie Ware has never had a hit in my chart until last weekend. I'm sure there was a song that missed the cut, and then the moment passed. Overtime is a very strong new single that deserves to have success...but will radio stations get on board? :roll:

5 dollars is Christine And The Queens highest peaking single so far from the album although Damn, dis-moi is still the most successful overall.
JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:09 am

cheapthrills wrote:Yay, Shallow is doing well here. A little disappointed she didn't stay at #1, but at least it is a song by Alan Walker, who really nails heartbreak EDM so well :)

Just starting to notice Happier now, I feel so behind the curve :)
Hi cheapthrills :D

Shallow has got off to a flying start. Aww, well tbh it didn't really "stay" at #1 it was just competing with Alan Walker for the honours but in the end Diamond heart edged out in front. <3 Both songs are amazing though. Yes, i agree 100% when Alan Walker nails his emotional edm ballads, they're truly sensational. I also had never heard of Sophia Somajo until now but i love her vocals on the track.
JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:13 am

luckyONE wrote:nice debut for "What You Waiting For". I haven't enjoyed a Kylie solo song since "All The Lovers", but I do like her collabs. I think this is my favorite. I actually like the entire "Brighter Days" album by SIGALA. It has some great bops.
Hi luckyONE :D

Yay i'm so happy to see all this love for What you waiting for. It might not have hit the #1 spot but it was up against a very strong top 3. <3 I've loved most of Sigala's music since his breakthrough hit Easy love. I wish there could be more music like this in the charts, rather than all this monotonous urban and grime stuff that literally all sounds the same to me. :lol: :oops:
JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:09 am

Tansike wrote:Thank you <3
Honestly, I don’t know! I would love to go back as soon as possible, but there’s one thing that could be a reason why it won’t happen next year… and that’s the best friend of my partner. He went with my partner to the Philippines in the previous ten years as he’s also kinda part of the family now, and this year was the first time he didn’t go (because of me). And this ‘relationship’ is really difficult so it’s either him or me who would go :( Anyways, this is really OT so… :oops:

True! And I think that was the problem in many other countries as well. Which is weird, as the hits also lived from Bebe’s vocals, so it’s not like she would be the problem :-?
Hey Tansike :D

Oh wow! :o So this friend of your partner isn't a former boyfriend or anything? They're just good friends who have known each other for a long time? Do you get on with this friend? :( That must be a difficult situation to be in. How would you feel if your partner went to Thailand next year but took his best friend instead of you? Aww, don't worry about going OT sometimes its nice (even helpful) to discuss real life issues as you can get really good advise from those closest to you. <3

Is he also gay? So there's no prospect of a threesome? :P :lol: :wink:

As for Bebe i really don't understand how radio stations choose their playlists. Like you say, they played Meant to be and i don't even think Florida Georgia Line are that well known in the UK, so why choose that song but then completely dismissed I'm a mess is questionable. I've always said if all songs got more exposure from radio and music channels, this would be reflected in the charts because people tend to listen to music they're already familiar with it. By preventing the general public from hearing all this music, none of these songs can ever gain popularity and success. It really is strange! :-?

Tansike wrote:Yesss!! I was waiting for more as well on that part! :lol: But as you say, it still was a great performance. Especially after the weak performances for “No Tears Left To Cry”. Somehow I never got into these even though I adore the song itself.

We never know. She really seems to already record the next album so it’s not like she’s taking a break from everything. Here’s hope she still finds some time to release a video for “Breathin”, the message of the song still fits so well to her whole situation.
Gosh that performance feels like a lifetime ago now. :lol: Tbh i didn't really go back for repeated views by the following week as by that point i was focusing more on breathin. Speaking of which have you seen the little pig video that they released 2 days ago? It's strangely hilarious yet calming at the same time. :lol:

Tansike wrote:While I agree with that and feel the same, I have to say “Sweetener” still is a very strong album. Have you heard the full album or did you check out the snippets on iTunes?

She didn’t so far, but 10 is a great number of weeks so I’m totally fine with that :cool:
No i checked out the iTunes previews first and any tracks that sounding the most appealing, i managed to find on YouTube so i could listen to the entire track. I just found most of Pharrell's tracks really clunky and not particularly interesting to listen to. :oops: An album full of Max Martin and Ilya tracks would've been pure pop heaven but sadly it wasn't to be. I suppose all pop acts eventually want to branch out and experiment with less commercial music styles.

Haha yes, the perfect 10. :P That's a very good track record for Ariana this year. I don't even think Kylie got as many weeks in total at #1 this year.

Tansike wrote:Ah yeah, I still remember how we talked about that back when “Love” came out and you said how much you loved it. It’s funny how basically everyone seems to like her lead singles a lot, but then everyone would rank them differently. I think after all these years, “High By The Beach” may be my second favorite one behind “Video Games”. Very glad to hear this about the Top5 singles – her discography is definitely so strong for being still quite new in the game!
How would you compare “Mariners Apartment Complex” to the latest “Venice Bitch”?
That's the beauty of Lana's music. All her tracks tend to leave a lasting impression but like you say everyone has their own personal favourites. High by the beach was a great lead single but it got overshadowed by the album track Terrence loves you that became my go to track from Honeymoon. A bit like 13 beaches ended up being from the Lust for life album.

I loved both Mariners apartment complex and Venice bitch but the latter was 9 minutes long, and i could listen to the former song twice in that time. There's nothing wrong with longer tracks. Sometimes i can get really drawn into a song and not even realise its over 5 minutes long, but when its edging past 7 or 8 minutes i do start thinking "gosh, when will this end?" :lol:

Tansike wrote:Of course! :P In the end, a Top3 hit is a Top3 hit so even though it was during a quiet week, I’m very happy Carrie managed to do it with “Love Wins”. It’s far from being her best song or single but since I know she’s not really a name on your charts, it makes me very happy how she was able to do that!
Indeed if i enjoy a song enough to make my top 3 it's still an achievement whether its in a quiet week or a really competitive week. :wink: I actually still think Love wins is a joyous lovely song with a sing-along chorus. :P Carrie has had a few hits in my chart over these last couple of years. I remember when she won American idol and back then there was more of a buzz surrounding the show but like The x factor it outstays its welcome and starts getting boring to watch.

Tansike wrote:<3 <3 <3
It’s a surprise for myself how much I love “Right Now” and I’m not surprised that I’m basically the only one, as it not only flops on every personal charts, but also on the charts overall! I just can’t help myself and bop to it, and it probably helps that it’s Nick Jonas :oops:
As for “Darkside” – who would have thought we would get an even stronger song so soon :o
Since i made that comment i feel like i'm over Right now and haven't listened to the song for over a week now. However, Alan Walker has really surprised me as Darkside was only released 2 months ago and yet he's already surpassed that in just 1 week with his new single in my chart. :o

Tansike wrote:Fantastic #1!
This is such a great surprise and I’m so damn happy Alan Walker is back to form! “Darkside” already made a much bigger impression to me than nearly all follow-ups to “Faded”, and now he’s back with an even stronger song :o I feel like Sophia sounding like Sia also helps a little bit… this is definitely a deserved #1 :cool:
He really is, and maybe this is why i'm more surprised at the quality of Diamond heart. As much i did enjoy Darkside, this new track resonated with me much more quickly. Hmm i don't think Sophia sounds that much like Sia but perhaps its just her style of singing that's similar to Sia, is that what you mean? :D

Tansike wrote:Also impressive and deserved debut for “Shallow”. Another surprise this year, it’s currently such a great time to be a Gaga fan as she’s smashing so hard with the whole soundtrack at the moment. Are you planning to see the movie?
It's astonishing to think Joanne was released around this time two years ago and i thought Lady Gaga was destined to never have another hit. Then along came standalone single The cure 18 months ago which seemed to reignite some interest. Now it seems Lady Gaga turning her hands to acting has given her a whole new audience to sell her music too. I've not seen the movie yet but i'm meeting up with one of my mates this afternoon for lunch so maybe afterwards we'll go to the Odeon cinema to watch it, but that's assuming he wants to go. :lol: :evil:

Tansike wrote:Love Avril’s comeback single, the success on your charts is quite a surprise though. Did you always enjoy her songs that much?
I was surprised Avril only reached #8 in your chart as i thought Head above water would've been more to your liking although i've seen Within Temptation dominating your charts but its not really to my liking unfortunately. :oops: :( I've loved Avril since Complicated and i've got Let go on cd although its most likely in a box in my wardrobe collecting dust with other old cd's i bought years ago. :lol:

Tansike wrote:Glad to see Ariana still smashing. Also great debut for “Pressure”, definitely the best single of their upcoming album so far.
breathin remains exceptional as ever and now we've got the cute pig video to give us even more reason to listen to the track whilst on YouTube. 8-) Yes, i agree Pressure is easily the best track Muse have released so far from the new album and the music video only makes the song all the more enjoyable.

Tansike wrote:I missed these two entries two weeks ago:
07 (RE) Years & Years - All for you [3 wks] [#7]
08 (NE) Lana Del Rey - Venice bitch [1 wk] [#8]

And it’s quite shocking how both already left your Top20! Especially Lana’s “Venice Bitch”, such a dreamy pop song :cry: But I guess its length isn’t really something for you?
“All For You” is a great single choice and I don’t get why they are underperforming this era. Just when I was about to really like them :cry:
All for you is a good track but for some reason it just didn't really click like some of their other songs have done previously. I still prefer the title track Palo santo more by comparison. I know If you're over me didn't seem that popular on UK Mix but i'm so happy it became a successful hit for the guys. <3

Yes, as i mentioned above it was the length of Venice bitch that kinda went against it, even though it is another blissful track from Lana.
JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:29 am

phoenix98 wrote:Same :cry: Especially since it spent some time at No. 2 on US iTunes. I know sales are way down overall, but the fact that it wasn't enough to even make a dent in the Hot 100 was a heartbreaking surprise. </3
Hey Paul :D

Gosh, so much for some of those comments i read in the GTFO thread about Mariah reclaiming her status as America's #1 artist. How has With you fared by comparison?

phoenix98 wrote:Indeed - and we're still getting a FIFTH single too :o Granted, not all of them have gotten a full push ("Lifetime" never got a regular video), but the attention given to this era has been a really nice change of pace after the mere two main singles from Kiss Me Once (well, and that "Sexercize" video...)
I already have much higher hopes for Music's too sad without you. I read that they filmed the video in Venice so it should be a beautiful glamorous looking video. Let's see how many times MTV play it. I'm gonna predict 0 times! :roll: :cry: No wonder the charts are a shambles. :x :wink: [/rantover] It's been wonderful to see so much effort being put into the Golden era and Kylie has looked so vibrant and ravishing which only emphasises just how much Kylie has been loving this campaign. Let's hope they do exactly the same when it comes to Kylie's next album... :wink:

phoenix98 wrote:Aw, it's a shame that the song still doesn't do much for you...but I appreciate you labelling it an "unashamed pop bop" anyway. <3
Plus it has been a hit regardless so that's still something. :wink: As i posted in reply to Tansike, i find the track Palo santo more endearing to listen to.

phoenix98 wrote:Based on the videos we got for "Seeing Blind" and "Finally Free," he needs our (expert) help - and our guiding hands - more than ever! ;)
Oh yes, he sure does! :lol: We would make amazing directors. 8-) ...as in directing Niall to strip off of course. :wink:

phoenix98 wrote:• So you've gone from your "Head" to your "Heart," eh? Alan's racked up quite a few hits here over the past couple years, but it looks like this is his first No. 1 since "Faded"? Exciting!
LOL i hadn't thought of it that way but yes indeed, all body parts are welcome in my chart. Whatever next? Mmm... :lol: Yes, Diamond heart is Alan Walker's second chart topper and richly deserved. <3

Fan wrote:
phoenix98 wrote:• Don't let Fan's smear campaign dampen your enjoyment of "What You Waiting For" ;) I will say it's a tad underwhelming given Kylie's stellar catalog, but it's still a perfectly pleasant feel-good bop!
The shade!! :o :lol:
:lol:

phoenix98 wrote:• "With You" made a pretty weak first impression on me (I REALLY wasn't feeling the "with you, you, you" hook), but the lyrics do have a way of sticking with you. On one hand, I'd still hesitate to call the song "catchy" overall, but parts of it have been randomly popping into my head from time-to-time: "she was full of such trepidation, there in front of the whole damn nation..."
Interestingly i had the same opinion as you regarding the "with you, you, you" intro but after a couple of listens it didn't seem as grating. It's also got a good chance of remaining in my chart for a second week thanks to the release of the music video. I still doubt it'll peak much higher and certainly won't contend for the top 10 at any rate right now.

phoenix98 wrote:• I had to give "Sweet But Psycho" a listen after seeing you call it an "unashamed pure pop song" over in Akini's thread - and you're totally right! Thanks for bringing it to my attention!
Ohh nice. :D Happy to be of service once again. Sweet but psycho is looking set for a big entry in my new chart later today.
JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:31 am

RayRay wrote:You have some really good songs on your chart, but Mariah should be way higher. :wink:
Hi RayRay :D

LOL i don't think Mariah is likely to get "way higher" in my chart. I do enjoy With you and its been given a nice little boost following the release of the music video. But i still prefer other songs more by comparison. :wink:
JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:40 am

Mainshow wrote:Wow, didn't know that Avril "shot" the vide in front of a green screen. Iceland is simply beautiful.. she should go back and do some sightseeing ;)

Nice to see Avri's comeback single still being part of your Top 3! Lovely debut for "Shallow" - They play it on the radios here quite frequently... just watched the music video and I have to admit, the soundtrack is absolutely amazing! Need to buy it ASAP. The movie itself was a bit "disappointing", though. After the amazing reviews I just expected "more" and a deeper/more emotional/dramatic plot. However, GaGa saved it. What an incredible actress!

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES! So amazing to see Michael Bublé debut!!! I absolutely adore this song! Jesus, this song turned me into a 40 years-old desperate housewife inside... this is so romantic.. I am melting away every time I hear it.
Hi Mainshow :D

To be honest, neither did i until i read it mentioned in the pop forum. I wouldn't have even realised had i not read those comments. :oops: I agree though Iceland has some stunning scenery.

Head above water remains as strong as ever but had to make way for a solid top 2. Shallow is amazing, i'm curious to see how it works in context with the film. A lot of members here didn't like the crowd applause sound effects but i actually think it adds to the song, gives me that impression that i'm right there with the crowd. <3 Ohh so the movie isn't that good then? :o I've not seen it yet but potentially might be going to watch it later on with my mate (if he wants to go that is :lol: :( ) so i might be able to do my own review of the movie by tonight. I already heard the album previews and there's no denying Lady Gaga's powerful vocals are the selling point. I don't think i'd enjoy a whole album of Bradley Cooper vocals. :oops: I don't mind the occasional country ballad, but not a full albums worth.

LOL I was surprised you hadn't heard this before as i know the song has been around for about 50 years or so. I do think Michael Bublé's cover is really lovely too. <3
JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:56 am

SummerPeur wrote:I've missed a few chart upates, forgive me Jake :(. Most of my time has been dedicated to Kylie's artist thread :cry:.
Hi SummerPeur :D

Aww *cuddles* don't worry, i can't expect you to comment every week. I barely find the time to comment myself most days. :oops: LOL my time is mostly dedicated to the pop forum and reading posts there. :lol:

SummerPeur wrote:HOWEVER I AM JUST IN TIMEEEEEEEEEEEE FOR.......

04 (NE) Sigala featuring Kylie Minogue - What you waiting for
Kylie back into the Top 4 8-). While I wanted a bit more POWA from this collab, this is instant good feel vibes. Kylie once again shows that no one can do dance pop so easily and gracefully.
Haha i know this would be most pleasing to you. :P It's so good to hear Kylie on a pop/dance track and in a less competitive week could've even been in contention for #1. 8-) Kylie has had a tremendous 2018 and i'm so happy for her. <3

SummerPeur wrote:
05 (02) Ariana Grande - breathin
08 (03) Marshmello & Bastille - Happier
breathin on the way out - however I'm sure it might get resurrected once the video premiers. I've only just listened to this little Marhsmello and Bastille collab.....its, ugh, interesting. I know it's meant to be a 'feel positive and love life' song, however it seems so forced and his voice carries no emotion at all. Though I AM LIVINGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG for the Miranda gag. :D
LOL breathin on the way down, its definitely got chart life in the track to keep it going for some time yet. We had the pig video on Thursday which has given a nice little boost to the song in the last 24 hours. As for Bastille, they've always been kinda inconsistent for me but i personally think Happier is a great track and one of Bastille's better tracks. YES! :lol: I used to watch iCarly (still do...sshhhh :P ) but i was quite surprised myself to see Miranda playing the lead character in the video.

SummerPeur wrote:
11 (05) Silk City & Dua Lipa featuring Diplo & Mark Ronson - Electricity
15 (NE) Mariah Carey - With you
I feel like Dupa explored the versatility of her voice a lot more on Electricity. I never got into New Rules (I actually hated it), however One Kiss took me by storm, and now the same has happened with Electricity. What is happening to me :cry: :cry:

Ah, and the forever mesmerizing MIMI makes her debut @ #15 with With You. To me it's a return to form, and a return to form that was needed none to sooner. After GTFO took us to a positive direction, With You has carried that on. Should the video release later today be another WBT or TMB, I expect America to have their sweetheart back.
I loved New rules but i agree if Dua is moving into dance/pop territory for her second album i would be over the moon. I love Electricity because it sounds like a proper club hit without any pointless "drops" that ruin the flow of the song, it all just works so effortlessly. <3 Plus Dua is sensational in the music video, who knew she was such a good dancer? :o I think you're slowly turning into a Dupa stan. :P

With you certainly sounds like classic Mariah and i'm still liking the song a lot so a second week in the chart is pretty much set in stone. I still think GTFO is the better song of the two but its easily a promising start for the next Mariah era. LOL not too sure about that last comment, GTFO didn't even crack the US billboard top 100 so i don't know if With you will succeed in that respect.
JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:32 pm

JakeP Top 20 13th October 2018)

ImageImageImageImageImage

01 (NE) Ava Max - Sweet but psycho [1 wk] [#1] (1 wk @ #1)
02 (01) Alan Walker & Sophia Somajo - Diamond heart [2 wks] [#1] (1 wk @ #1)
03 (03) Avril Lavigne - Head above water [4 wks] [#1] (2 wks @ #1)
04 (02) Lady Gaga & Bradley Cooper - Shallow [2 wks] [#2]
05 (05) Ariana Grande - breathin [8 wks] [#1] (3 wks @ #1)
06 (NE) Lady Gaga - Look what i found [1 wk] [#6]
07 (06) Sigala, Ella Eyre & Meghan Trainor featuring French Montana - Just got paid [4 wks] [#2]
08 (NE) Charli XCX & Troye Sivan - 1999 [1 wk] [#8]
09 (10) MK, Jonas Blue & Becky Hill - Back & forth [3 wks] [#7]
10 (04) Sigala featuring Kylie Minogue - What you waiting for [2 wks] [#4]
11 (08) Marshmello & Bastille - Happier [7 wks] [#3]
12 (12) Rita Ora - Let you love me [3 wks] [#10]
13 (11) Silk City & Dua Lipa featuring Diplo & Mark Ronson - Electricity [6 wks] [#2]
14 (09) Lukas Graham - Love someone [5 wks] [#6]
15 (13) Jessie Ware - Overtime [2 wks] [#13]
16 (15) Mariah Carey - With you [2 wks] [#15]
17 (NE) Eminem - Venom [1 wk] [#17]
18 (07) Muse - Pressure [2 wks] [#7]
19 (16) Ariana Grande - God is a woman [14 wks] [#1] (5 wks @ #1)
20 (NE) Barbra Streisand - Don’t lie to me [1 wk] [#20]

The Hit Seeker

Jess Glynne - Thursday
JakeP
Manager

Postby RayRay » Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:24 pm

JakeP wrote:JakeP Top 20 13th October 2018)

07 (06) Sigala, Ella Eyre & Meghan Trainor featuring French Montana - Just got paid [4 wks] [#2]

Some really good songs here. :D
RayRay
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:54 am

Good #1!

I checked out your #2, and I don't know why, but the female vocalist reminded me of Kerli in parts. Also, this is the second chart I've visited where Barbra's song is at the bottom. Better at the bottom than absent, I guess. :lol:

Oh, and boo at "With You" flopping here. :cry:

01 (NE) Ava Max - Sweet but psycho [1 wk] [#1] (1 wk @ #1)
17 (NE) Eminem - Venom [1 wk] [#17]
Franklin’s music profoundly touched and changed the world, because over and over it offered that bridge to salvation, to freedom.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Fan » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:54 pm

JakeP wrote:Hey Fan :D

I agree Shallow is gorgeous. Not seen the film yet but still quite intrigued in seeing it as its getting good reviews apparently.

Avril's return is amazing, i know what you mean. :lol: It's just a classic sounding rock ballad that would've been a hit 10 years ago. It's just disappointing that in the era of Spotify, songs like these don't enjoy the chart success they so richly deserve. :cry:

As for Sigala & Kylie...no :P :wink:

I still much prefer Anywhere which is now Rita Ora's benchmark for getting another #1 in my chart. I do like Let you love me though but its not going to be competing for my #1 spot.

Jessie Ware has never had a hit in my chart until last weekend. I'm sure there was a song that missed the cut, and then the moment passed. Overtime is a very strong new single that deserves to have success...but will radio stations get on board? :roll:

5 dollars is Christine And The Queens highest peaking single so far from the album although Damn, dis-moi is still the most successful overall.
I saw the movie yesterday actually! In general it felt a bit slow and cliche at times, but GaGa was amazing. And her voice is just a-ma-zing. I have a new found love for Shallow and it's not even the best song on the soundtrack for me.

True, Spotify has ruined the charts for that, but at the same time I don't really care about the charts anymore. It is cool we still have people like Avril releasing stuff like this.

Sorry :lol: :lol: You know I love Kylie!

Wow! You have never charted Jessie before?? I am shocked. I have been a fan since the first record, so it's good to hear she finally scored a hit with you.

I just listened to your new #1 for the first time and after 5 seconds I knew I would love it. Such a fun fun pop song that I absolutely love. So thank you for introducing it to me <3
1999 is another brilliant, fun track. And how brilliant is the video? Probably my favourite video of the year.
Fan
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:45 am

JakeP wrote:Hey Paul :D
Hidy Ho Jake! :D

JakeP wrote:Gosh, so much for some of those comments i read in the GTFO thread about Mariah reclaiming her status as America's #1 artist. How has With you fared by comparison?
:lol: I guess some of her fans are eternally optimistic (and maybe a TAD delusional...)

Unfortunately, "With You" suffered the same fate as "GTFO" and missed the Hot 100 entirely :cry: On the bright side, I didn't think she'd be dropping a full album so soon, so at least the Caution announcement was a pleasant surprise!

JakeP wrote:I already have much higher hopes for Music's too sad without you. I read that they filmed the video in Venice so it should be a beautiful glamorous looking video. Let's see how many times MTV play it. I'm gonna predict 0 times! :roll: :cry: No wonder the charts are a shambles. :x :wink: [/rantover] It's been wonderful to see so much effort being put into the Golden era and Kylie has looked so vibrant and ravishing which only emphasises just how much Kylie has been loving this campaign. Let's hope they do exactly the same when it comes to Kylie's next album... :wink:
Yes PLZ!

I definitely wasn't expecting jingle bells to be inserted into "Music's Too Sad Without You," but season is nearly upon us, so I can see how a slight Christmas makeover might give the song more of a fighting chance on the charts. I wonder if they could get it featured in an advert...

JakeP wrote:Plus it has been a hit regardless so that's still something. :wink: As i posted in reply to Tansike, i find the track Palo santo more endearing to listen to.
That one seems to be a pretty big fan favorite (I think it was among Akini and Tansike's top picks from the album too), so hopefully it gets the single treatment (or at least a video) at some point! I'm all for them going at least 4-5 singles deep.

JakeP wrote:LOL i hadn't thought of it that way but yes indeed, all body parts are welcome in my chart. Whatever next? Mmm... :lol: Yes, Diamond heart is Alan Walker's second chart topper and richly deserved. <3
Someone needs to drop a willy anthem ASAP ;) Oh, duh: the lead single for Niall's next LP, of course!

JakeP wrote:01 (NE) Ava Max - Sweet but psycho [1 wk] [#1] (1 wk @ #1)
06 (NE) Lady Gaga - Look what i found [1 wk] [#6]
11 (08) Marshmello & Bastille - Happier [7 wks] [#3]
13 (11) Silk City & Dua Lipa featuring Diplo & Mark Ronson - Electricity [6 wks] [#2]

Jess Glynne - Thursday
• "Sweet" is the perfect word for Ava's No. 1 debut! This crazy-catchy bop is especially fitting as Halloween draws ever closer.
• "1999" was a bit of a let-down, but the video is SUCH a trip :lol: Troye KILLIN' me with that young JT impersonation!
• Ooh...looks like "Let You Love Me" could end up sharing the exact same peak across our charts!
• So "Thursday" is probably (definitely?) the follow-up to "All I Am"? There's a few other tracks on Always In Between that have been sticking out more to me, but this'll be a nice way of switching up the pace after "I'll Be There" and "All I Am." With Ed having a hand in writing it, its hit potential seems especially strong.
• I'm pretty shocked by the total absence of "Woman Like Me" - not even as the "Hit Seeker" :o Admittedly, I'm not really feeling the song either, but I didn't think it would bomb THIS hard with you. Does this mean it's one of your least favorite LM singles ever?

Yet another chart that has me mad about you, Jake! :D
phoenix98
Legend

Return to Personal Charts