Benny's favourite ABBA songs - VIDEO

Moderators: tdc2000, FreakyFlyBry

Postby Spartan » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:41 pm

Lay All Your Love - good song, I wouldn't rank it Top 10 though.
The Day Before You Came - I get what Akini is saying but I really loved this song!
Eagle - bit bland IMO
Money Money Money - good song that gets a bit repetitive after a while.
Gimme Gimme Gimme - love it.
When I Kissed The Teacher - brilliant, video was great too.
SOS - definitely in my Top 5 favourites of theirs.
When All Is Said And Done - really liked this.
Knowing Me Knowing You - another great song deserved of its high place.
The Winner Takes It All - unpopular opinion alert but, as great as this song is, I feel like it's over-hyped.

Great countdown, I loved getting to know some new ABBA music.
Spartan
Legend

Postby Blondini » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:57 am

Benny wrote:
JSparksFan wrote:Loved the countdown, Benny! I discovered some really killer songs from ABBA that I didn't know before (I still haven't gotten around to checking out their albums in full yet!) so much thanks for that. :D
You're welcome, I'm glad you discovered some new songs that you liked. :D

JSparksFan wrote:When I Kissed The Teacher: 8/10 - Good song! I would've like to have seen a video filmed for this.
Well they actually did. You can check it out in the link above, it was filmed for a 1976 TV special and is quite hilarious. :lol:
Yes, it's a shame it's the only video not on The Complete Studio Recordings set - it was on The Definitive Collection DVD previously.
Love all The Visitors tracks - title track is my alltime fave of theirs.

We're almost in agreement about Eagle (#9 on my list that Matthew compiled from) and Angeleyes (my #13). Waterloo is VERY low on your list. :o
My "random" top ten fave is my #9 Elaine.
Blondini
Big Time Dreamer

Postby Benny » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:28 am

Blondini wrote:My "random" top ten fave is my #9 Elaine.
Yes, "Elaine" is great, my second favourite B-side of them after "Cassandra".
Benny
Legend

Postby Phoenixx » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:25 pm

The Winner Takes It All! <3 Such a classic Song! 8-)
Phoenixx
Purpose

Postby Benny » Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:15 pm

I made a YouTube video with a recap of my 50 favourite ABBA songs. The list is a bit different from the one I made 2013, and it's in chronological order.

Benny
Legend

Postby Grybop » Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:44 pm

I hated the fact that you went alphabetical, but give or take a few choices, this video is the A to Z to ABBA!

CZB wrote:

[i][b][size=85]
I first heard this track, week after week after week, in 1983 - without any idea of what it was, who it was by, or even how many years earlier it had been recorded! Back then, the BBC Radio One chart show had one of its worst presenters - the now deceased Tommy Vance, who typically played about thirty of the UK top forty between 5.00 and 7.00 on Sundays.

However, I discovered that my local commercial radio station, Metro Radio, were doing a three-hour chart show based on the official top 100. I'm not sure if it was from 3.00 to 6.00, or from 4.00 to 7.00, but there was definitely some overlap - so while listening to one, I'd record the other to listen to later. I'm almost (but not quite) certain that the presenter was Giles Squire.....who, a few years later, would have an hour-long chart-based programme on the same station, Mondays to Fridays at 4.00. From memory, Monday was the UK albums chart, Tuesday was the UK singles chart, Wednesday was the American singles chart, Friday was a local Tyneside chart, and Thursday was the one never to be missed - the Europarade!

Anyway, the three-hour top 100 programme always featured two new entries from between 100 and 76, then eight new entries and/or climbers from 75 to 31, then the top thirty in full. And it used this wonderful instrumental as its theme tune - part of it would be played at the beginning of each hour, and the last ninety seconds were used as the backing for a (very quick!) read-through recap of the top thirty, just ahead of the number one.

It wasn't until early in 1994 that I saw a television broadcast of the music-documentary-movie "Abba - The Movie", in which the track was featured, and first realised that it was by that group (well, two of them at least.....). I was finally able to identify the title, and to ask a contact in Europe to find me a copy on 7" single. It was the B-side of "Mamma Mia" in some countries (but not in the UK).

When that arrived, it was my second highest new breaker in March 1994.....narrowly losing out to Nilsson's Without You" as that month's Chartbuster! Then it had a seven-month run in my top forty (06 02 02 02 05 07 29), only prevented from reaching number one by Ace of Base "The Sign" and the Croatian Eurovision entry by Put - becoming, by quite a margin, my favourite Abba track of all time!
Oh I loved this story, thanks for sharing it!
Grybop
Anti-PR Executive

Postby Benny » Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:20 pm

Grybop wrote:I hated the fact that you went alphabetical, but give or take a few choices, this video is the A to Z to ABBA!
You mean chronological. :wink:
I like the chronological order because it shows how they matured as a group, from the happy bubble gum pop of "Ring Ring" in the beginning to the deep and melancholic songs on "The Visitors" album in the end.
Benny
Legend

Postby Grybop » Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:32 pm

Umm yes, got confused by Under Attack at the end for some reason :lol:
Grybop
Anti-PR Executive

Postby Benny » Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:35 pm

Grybop wrote:Umm yes, got confused by Under Attack at the end for some reason :lol:
:lol:
Benny
Legend

Return to Personal Charts