Benny's favourite ABBA songs - VIDEO

Moderators: tdc2000, FreakyFlyBry

Postby CZB » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:23 pm

Benny wrote:Singles that missed the top 40:
Under Attack (which is the single with the worst cover photo in the history of music :lol: )

:lol: They should have sued the photographer!
I was about to ask whether that was seriously for real - the faces look as if they've been created with those optional eyes, noses, mouths, moustaches and beards that crime witnesses are given to try make a reasonable photofit representation of people they have only seen fleetingly ! :D

But I've just checked - and although that cover doesn't seem to have been used in many other countries, it was, incredibly, the one we had in the UK . . . . . Amazing.

I'm afraid I wasn't really impressed by that song at all - my favourites from the first page being:

Benny wrote:Singles that missed the top 40:

Ring Ring
Waterloo
I Do I Do I Do I Do I Do
Does Your Mother Know
I Have A Dream

40. The Name Of The Game (1977, first single release from "The Album")

36. Thank You For The Music (1978, taken from "The Album", released in some territories in 1978 and in the UK in 1983)

30. The Way Old Friends Do (1980, album track from "Super Trouper")

29. Dreamworld (1978, unreleased until 1994)

25. Super Trouper (1980, second single release from the album of the same name)

23. Happy New Year (1980, album track from "Super Trouper", released as a single in some countries in 1999)

22. Fernando (1976, worldwide single)

21. Cassandra (1982, b-side to "The Day Before You Came")

18. Take A Chance On Me (1978, second single release from "The Album")

17. Voulez-Vous (1979, third single release from the album of the same name)

16. One Of Us (1981, first single release from "The Visitors")
Probably among the least well-known of all of these are two that I first became aware of from cover versions by other acts. "Cassandra" was translated into Dutch, and was a hit single in the Netherlands in the summer of 1984, for Bonnie St Clair and Jose - and they followed it up the following summer with "Zoals Vrienden Doen" - losing any ageist implications in translation as it became "The Way.....Friends Do". But an English version of that song had previously been an Irish hit for the country singer Philomena Begley (mid 1984) !

I'll be interested to see what is still to come in the top fifteen . . . . . :D
CZB
Legend

Postby Benny » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:16 pm

CZB wrote:Probably among the least well-known of all of these are two that I first became aware of from cover versions by other acts. "Cassandra" was translated into Dutch, and was a hit single in the Netherlands in the summer of 1984, for Bonnie St Clair and Jose - and they followed it up the following summer with "Zoals Vrienden Doen" - losing any ageist implications in translation as it became "The Way.....Friends Do". But an English version of that song had previously been an Irish hit for the country singer Philomena Begley (mid 1984) !

Interesting, I've never heard of these remakes before. :o
Benny
Legend

Postby Benny » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:17 pm

ImageImage

15. Dancing Queen (1976, first single release from "Arrival")
Sweden #1 (14x), Norway #1 (12x), Australia #1 (8x), Belgium #1 (7x), Ireland #1 (6x), UK #1 (6x), Mexico #1 (6x), Netherlands #1 (5x), New Zealand #1 (4x), Zimbabwe #1 (4x), Canada #1 (2x), South Africa #1 (2x), Germany #1 (1x), US #1 (1x), Switzerland #3, Finland #3, Austria #4, France #5, Spain #10, Japan #19

14. The Piper (1980, album track from "Super Trouper")

13. Angel Eyes (1979, double A-side single with "Voulez-Vous" in the UK )
UK #3

12. Chiquitita (1979, first single release from" Voulez-Vous")
Mexico #1 (32x), Belgium #1 (5x), Zimbabwe #1 (4x), Ireland #1 (3x), Switzerland #1 (2x), Netherlands #1 (1x), New Zealand #1 (1x), South Africa #1 (1x), Finland #1, Argentina #1 (Spanish version) / #7 (English version), Spain #1 (English version) / #5 (Spanish version), Sweden #2, UK #2, Germany #3, Australia #4, Norway #4, Austria #6, Japan #19, US #29

11. Mamma Mia (1975, fourth single release from "ABBA")
Australia #1 (10x), Ireland #1 (5x), UK #1 (2x), Switzerland #1 (2x), Germany #1 (1x), Belgium #2, Norway #2, New Zealand #2, Austria #3, South Africa #5, US #32
Benny
Legend

Postby Grybop » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:25 pm

Benny wrote:
CZB wrote:Probably among the least well-known of all of these are two that I first became aware of from cover versions by other acts. "Cassandra" was translated into Dutch, and was a hit single in the Netherlands in the summer of 1984, for Bonnie St Clair and Jose - and they followed it up the following summer with "Zoals Vrienden Doen" - losing any ageist implications in translation as it became "The Way.....Friends Do". But an English version of that song had previously been an Irish hit for the country singer Philomena Begley (mid 1984) !

Interesting, I've never heard of these remakes before. :o
Neither have I!
I remember reading somewhere that the lyrics to The Way Old Friends Do might sound somewhat dodgy to a native english speaker, is that true?

Anyway, enjoying this countdown so far - Angel Eyes is probably my fave from the last batch, a really slow burner for me, never went nuts about it, but appreciated more and more in time.
Grybop
Anti-PR Executive

Postby CZB » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:57 pm

Grybop wrote:
Benny wrote:Interesting, I've never heard of these remakes before. :o
Neither have I!
I feared that they might be too obscure to appear on Youtube - but no, they're all there:

Image . . . . . . . Image . . . . . . . Image

( click on each image to listen . . . . . )

The Dutch ones are both television performances - and there probably wasn't time for the whole of "Cassandra", as the seven-inch single runs to almost five minutes !
CZB
Legend

Postby Spartan » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:08 pm

The Way Old Friends Do - decent enough, not their best.
Dreamworld - love the chorus, verses are so-so.
*On And On And On - Love it, bit repetitive as Akini said.
*Summer Nights City - really liked it.
*The Visitors - it picked up towards the end of the song.
Super Trouper - in my Top 3 ABBA songs, love it.
*Kisses Of Fire - fierce chorus!
Happy New Year - I like it but the chorus is a bit irritating.
Fernando - love it.
*Cassandra - great song.
*As Good As New - really nice, again agreeing with Akini with the great ending.
*Move On - sound like ABBA at their best
Take A Chance On Me - one of my faves of theirs.
Voulez-Vous - another favourite of mine, especially the "ah-ha" bits.
One Of Us - never been a massive fan of this but can't deny it's brilliant chorus.
Dancing Queen - I think this is a good song,, a tad overrated though.
*The Piper - heard this a few months ago and loved it and its lyrics about the Pied Piper.
Angel Eyes - to be honest, wasn't a fan.
Chiquitita - brilliant pop song.
Mamma Mia - such a tour de force of pop brilliance with this song.

* = songs I downloaded
Spartan
Legend

Postby Benny » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:23 pm

Thanks for the links, CZB! I read on Wikipedia that Bonnie & José did a couple of Dutch ABBA covers. That Bonnie woman also did a version of the song "Fantasy Island" (I saw the link by chance on YouTube) - a song that was originally presented by Dutch group The Millionaires for the Dutch Eurovision Song Contest and was recorded in English by British band Tight Fit in 1982. Tight Fit really copied the ABBA sound on that one.
Benny
Legend

Postby Benny » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:45 pm

10. Lay All Your Love On Me (1981, taken from "Super Trouper", released as a 12-inch single in a limited number of territories)
UK #7, Ireland #8

09. The Day Before You Came (1982, the last song ABBA recorded and the second last single they released)
Finland #2, Belgium #3, Netherlands #3, Sweden #3, Switzerland #4, Germany #5, Norway #5, UK #32

08. Eagle (1978, taken from "The Album", released as a single in a limited number of territories)
Belgium #1 (1), Netherlands #4, Germany #6, Switzerland #7

07. Money Money Money (1976, second single from "Arrival")
Australia #1 (6x), Belgium #1 (5x), Germany #1 (5x), France #1 (3x), Mexico #1 (3x), Netherlands #1 (2x), New Zealand #1 (1x), Ireland #2, Norway #2, Switzerland #2, Austria #3, UK #3, Finland #7

06. Gimme! Gimme! Gimme! (A Man After Midnight) (1979, worldwide single)
France #1 (5x), Belgium #1 (2x), Ireland #1 (2x), Switzerland #1 (1x), Finland #1, Austria #2, Netherlands #2, Norway #2, Germany #3, UK #3, Australia #8, Japan #17
Benny
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:12 am

Dancing Queen: 10/10 - Disco classic and one of my favourite songs ever. It's aged so well. You've ranked it so low. :(

The Piper: 9.5/10 - One of their most appealing melodies! I love the transition from verse to chorus. Quality tune!

Angel Eyes: 7.5/10 - Just average by their standards. Not a bad listen though.

Chiquitita: 6.5/10 - I remember hearing this as a kid. The big difference is that back then I thought this was awesome. :lol:

Mamma Mia: 7.5/10 - Though this is one of their most universally loved songs, I've always thought it was overrated and after successive plays, it's quite annoying.

Lay All Your Love on Me: 9.5/10 - Ah, one of their most overrated songs followed by one of their most underrated! Lovely track. I can't really criticize it. I love everyone's vocals, I love the lyrics, I love the melody. Quality song!

The Day Before You Came: 6/10 - A bit on the boring side. There's no hook, no particularly intriguing lyric, no climax. It's just in the same key from start to finish. I read somewhere that this was the last song ABBA recorded and that Agnetha sang her lead with the lights off. I guess maybe that was responsible for the sombre tone and rare dip in quality.

Eagle: 8/10 - Good song! It's just the teensiest bit forgettable though.

Money, Money, Money: 9.5/10 - Awesomeness! So catchy!

Gimme! Gimme! Gimme! (A Man After Midnight): 8/10 - Oh wait, this is the song Madge sampled in "Hung Up"! Coolio! The song is pretty good but it gets a bit repetitive. The instrumental slays though.
"You think your pain and your heartbreak are unprecedented in the history of the world, but then you read." - James Baldwin
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby CZB » Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:13 pm

My favourites from 15 to 06 :

Benny wrote:
15. Dancing Queen (1976, first single release from "Arrival")
Sweden #1 (14x), Norway #1 (12x), Australia #1 (8x), Belgium #1 (7x), Ireland #1 (6x), UK #1 (6x), Mexico #1 (6x), Netherlands #1 (5x), New Zealand #1 (4x), Zimbabwe #1 (4x), Canada #1 (2x), South Africa #1 (2x), Germany #1 (1x), US #1 (1x), Switzerland #3, Finland #3, Austria #4, France #5, Spain #10, Japan #19

12. Chiquitita (1979, first single release from" Voulez-Vous")
Mexico #1 (32x), Belgium #1 (5x), Zimbabwe #1 (4x), Ireland #1 (3x), Switzerland #1 (2x), Netherlands #1 (1x), New Zealand #1 (1x), South Africa #1 (1x), Finland #1, Argentina #1 (Spanish version) / #7 (English version), Spain #1 (English version) / #5 (Spanish version), Sweden #2, UK #2, Germany #3, Australia #4, Norway #4, Austria #6, Japan #19, US #29

10. Lay All Your Love On Me (1981, taken from "Super Trouper", released as a 12-inch single in a limited number of territories)
UK #7, Ireland #8

09. The Day Before You Came (1982, the last song ABBA recorded and the second last single they released)
Finland #2, Belgium #3, Netherlands #3, Sweden #3, Switzerland #4, Germany #5, Norway #5, UK #32

I don't think I'm aware of any other Abba album tracks that became hits anywhere for other acts apart from the three already mentioned - but seeing some of these higher-ranking selections reminded me that there have been a few occasions on which some of their hits have been successfully reworked. There was the four--track EP by Erasure that went to number one in the UK . . . . . a whole album of covers by E-Rotic . . . . . and the Swedish group that started off as "Abba Teens" before becoming A*Teens who took several of them into charts across the continent !

However, one-off cover version hits were rare - but included Blancmange's take on "The Day Before You Came", not very long after the original, and a rather more recent version of "Lay All Your Love On Me" by Belgian dance act Sylver.

Benny wrote: 13. Angel Eyes (1979, double A-side single with "Voulez-Vous" in the UK ) UK #3

I suspect that your source for the Irish chart positions is either http://www.irishcharts.ie or Wikipedia - but unfortunately they are probably mainly based on Larry Gogan's early-1980s' book on the Irish charts, which was riddled with errors and omissions. One was that there was just a blank space where the peak position of Abba's "The Day Before You Came" should have appeared . . . . . But I was listening to the chart shows of the UK and Ireland back when it was a hit ( I was 18, and had only just begun studying at University ) and can confirm that it performed rather better in Ireland than in the UK - it peaked there at number 13. A few years earlier, "Angel Eyes / Voulez Vous" was also a double-A-side single in Ireland, achieving the same peak there as in the UK - number three. I recall that, strangely, for as long as it was in each chart, it was always "Angel Eyes" that was played on the UK chart show, but always "Voulez Vous" that was played on the Irish one !
CZB
Legend

Postby Haribo » Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:07 pm

"Dancing Queen" is a pure classic. 8-)
Haribo
Legend

Postby Benny » Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:11 pm

Spartan wrote:*On And On And On - Love it, bit repetitive as Akini said.
*Summer Nights City - really liked it.
*The Visitors - it picked up towards the end of the song.
*Kisses Of Fire - fierce chorus!
*Cassandra - great song.
*As Good As New - really nice, again agreeing with Akini with the great ending.
*Move On - sound like ABBA at their best
*The Piper - heard this a few months ago and loved it and its lyrics about the Pied Piper.
* = songs I downloaded
Great to see that you downloaded some of the songs. :D

JSparksFan wrote:The Day Before You Came: 6/10 - A bit on the boring side. There's no hook, no particularly intriguing lyric, no climax. It's just in the same key from start to finish. I read somewhere that this was the last song ABBA recorded and that Agnetha sang her lead with the lights off. I guess maybe that was responsible for the sombre tone and rare dip in quality.
Well "The Day Before You Came" is very different from all of their other singles. It's not an instant pop smash but a grower. I still think that it's a masterpiece though.

CZB wrote:
Benny wrote: 13. Angel Eyes (1979, double A-side single with "Voulez-Vous" in the UK ) UK #3

I suspect that your source for the Irish chart positions is either http://www.irishcharts.ie or Wikipedia - but unfortunately they are probably mainly based on Larry Gogan's early-1980s' book on the Irish charts, which was riddled with errors and omissions. One was that there was just a blank space where the peak position of Abba's "The Day Before You Came" should have appeared . . . . . But I was listening to the chart shows of the UK and Ireland back when it was a hit ( I was 18, and had only just begun studying at University ) and can confirm that it performed rather better in Ireland than in the UK - it peaked there at number 13. A few years earlier, "Angel Eyes / Voulez Vous" was also a double-A-side single in Ireland, achieving the same peak there as in the UK - number three. I recall that, strangely, for as long as it was in each chart, it was always "Angel Eyes" that was played on the UK chart show, but always "Voulez Vous" that was played on the Irish one !
Thanks for the Irish chart info! I didn't know that "Angel Eyes/ Voulez-Vous" was a double A-side in Ireland as well, I always thought that this was only the case in the UK. ABBA's singles often peaked higher in Ireland than in Britain - for example their three singles in 1982 all went top 20 in Ireland but failed to do so in the UK. Even the 1983 release of "Thank You For The Music" reached the Irish top 20 (but only number 33 in the UK).
Benny
Legend

Postby Mikerocha » Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:22 pm

I know most people think "Happy New Year" was only released as a single in 1999 but it was released in Portugal as a single in December 1980, a few weeks right after "Super Trouper". Both songs were really popular In the charts with the album title track reaching #1 in the singles chart, as well as the album which spend more than 10 weeks atop the album charts and was the best selling album there in 1981.
I'm ready to be loved and love the way I should
Life's about, life's about to get good
Mikerocha
Superstar

Postby Benny » Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:32 pm

Mikerocha wrote:I know most people think "Happy New Year" was only released as a single in 1999 but it was released in Portugal as a single in December 1980, a few weeks right after "Super Trouper". Both songs were really popular In the charts with the album title track reaching #1 in the singles chart, as well as the album which spend more than 10 weeks atop the album charts and was the best selling album there in 1981.
Interesting, I didn't know that. :o
The Spanish version of "Happy New Year", "Felicidad", was also released as a single in Argentina in 1980 where it reached the top five.
Benny
Legend

Postby Mikerocha » Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:36 pm

I'm ready to be loved and love the way I should
Life's about, life's about to get good
Mikerocha
Superstar

Postby Benny » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:11 pm

05. When I Kissed The Teacher (1976, album track from "Arrival")

04. SOS (1975, third single from "ABBA")
Germany #1 (7x), South Africa #1 (4x), Belgium #1 (2x), Australia #1 (1x), New Zealand #1 (1x), Mexico #1 (1x), Austria #2, Italy #2, Netherlands #2, Norway #2, Zimbabwe #2, Switzerland #3, Ireland #4, UK #6, US #15

03. When All Is Said And Done (1982, taken from "The Visitors", a single in some countries)
US #27

02. Knowing Me, Knowing You (1977, third single from "Arrival")
Ireland #1 (5x), UK #1 (5x), Mexico #1 (4x), Germany #1 (2x), South Africa #1, Austria #2, Belgium #2, Netherlands #3, Switzerland #3, Canada #5, Norway #6, New Zealand #8, Australia #9, France #9, US #14

01. The Winner Takes It All (1980, first single from "Super Trouper")
Belgium #1 (8x), Netherlands #1 (6x), Ireland #1 (3x), UK #1 (2x), South Africa #1 (2x), Finland #2, Sweden #2, Austria #3, Norway #3, Switzerland #3, Germany #4, Zimbabwe #4, France #5, Mexico #5, Australia #7, Italy #7, US #8, Spain #10
Benny
Legend

Postby Dragon » Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:15 pm

Benny wrote:
01. The Winner Takes It All (1980, first single from "Super Trouper")
Belgium #1 (8x), Netherlands #1 (6x), Ireland #1 (3x), UK #1 (2x), South Africa #1 (2x), Finland #2, Sweden #2, Austria #3, Norway #3, Switzerland #3, Germany #4, Zimbabwe #4, France #5, Mexico #5, Australia #7, Italy #7, US #8, Spain #10
my favorite ABBA song, too. 8-)
Dragon
Manager

Postby Wardo » Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:22 pm

Let me comment on your Top 10!

10. Lay All Your Love On Me Probably one of my favourite from them! That instrumental is already a classic, and so creative. It's a mysterious and passionate track.

09. The Day Before You Came Very nice video! The blondie in the train is quite hot!

08. Eagle Not a big fan, though if I get drunk I might like it haha.

07. Money Money Money Mixed feelings about this. Sometimes I find it a gem, sometimes just average.

06. Gimme! Gimme! Gimme! (A Man After Midnight) The intro is fantastic - so epic! The violins help it a lot. Also Madonna's team created one of the best samples of all time IMO.

05. When I Kissed The Teacher More like a guitar based track, nice!

04. SOS Uplifting! The production is amazing, great choice for your fourth place.

03. When All Is Said And Done I don't like it too much... Nothing about it really catches me.

02. Knowing Me, Knowing You YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS this song is AMAZING. There was a radio station in Madrid which I used to listen to everyday and they loved to play this one. Good memories! Well deserved number 2! :cry:

01. The Winner Takes It All I can see why this topped the countdown, but it's far from my favourites.

--

Great countdown overall, mate! I hope you're planning another one soon.
Wardo
Knight of Cups

Postby Benny » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:54 pm

Here's my entire countdown (I've added positions 41 to 75):

01. The Winner Takes It All
02. Knowing Me, Knowing You
03. When All Is Said And Done
04. SOS
05. When I Kissed The Teacher
06. Gimme! Gimme! Gimme! (A Man After Midnight)
07. Money Money Money
08. Eagle
09. The Day Before You Came
10. Lay All Your Love On Me
11. Mamma Mia
12. Chiquitita
13. Angel Eyes
14. The Piper
15. Dancing Queen
16. One Of Us
17. Voulez-Vous
18. Take A Chance On Me
19. Move On
20. As Good As New
21. Cassandra
22. Fernando
23. Happy New Year
24. Kisses Of Fire
25. Super Trouper
26. The Visitors
27. Summer Night City
28. On And On And On
29. Dreamworld
30. The Way Old Friends Do
31. I Let The Music Speak
32. Our Last Summer
33. Hole In Your Soul
34. Head Over Heels
35. Slipping Through My Fingers
36. Thank You For The Music
37. Soldiers
38. Elaine
39. The King Has Lost His Crown
40. The Name Of The Game
41. Tiger
42. I'm A Marionette
43. Lovelight
44. Just Like That
45. Ring Ring
46. One Man One Woman
47. Hasta Mañana
48. Bang A Boomerang
49. My Love My Life
50. Like An Angel Passing Through My Room
51. Another Town Another Train
52. Dance (While The Music Still Goes On)
53. If It Wasn't For The Nights
54. I Do I Do I Do I Do I Do
55. I Have A Dream
56. Does Your Mother Know
57. Under Attack
58. Dum Dum Diddle
59. Waterloo
60. Happy Hawaii
61. Put On Your White Sombrero
62. Intermezzo No. 1
63. Why Did It Have To Be Me
64. Me And I
65. I Am The City
66. She's My Kind Of Girl
67. Love Isn't Easy
68. Andante Andante
69. Hey Hey Helen
70. Should I Laugh Or Cry
71. You Owe Me One
72. So Long
73. My Mama Said
74. Tropical Loveland
75. Honey Honey
Benny
Legend

Postby Dexter » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:00 pm

[quote="Benny"]Here's my entire countdown (I've added positions 41 to 75):

01. The Winner Takes It All
02. Knowing Me, Knowing You
03. When All Is Said And Done
04. SOS
05. When I Kissed The Teacher
06. Gimme! Gimme! Gimme! (A Man After Midnight)

The 1# is great, just GREAT! :D
Like all the other too. :wink:
Dexter
Manager

Postby CZB » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:55 pm

From the top five, my favourite is definitely "S.O.S." - but I also quite like the other two major hits there.

I'm not really very familiar with most of the album tracks in positions 41 to 75 - except this one:

Benny wrote:62. Intermezzo No. 1
. . . . . which is my top Abba track of all time ! Other readers might well not have heard (of) it, but as can be discovered from the link, it's certainly not exactly "traditional" Abba . . . . .
CZB
Legend

Postby Benny » Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:21 pm

CZB wrote:From the top five, my favourite is definitely "S.O.S." - but I also quite like the other two major hits there.

I'm not really very familiar with most of the album tracks in positions 41 to 75 - except this one:

Benny wrote:62. Intermezzo No. 1
. . . . . which is my top Abba track of all time ! Other readers might well not have heard (of) it, but as can be discovered from the link, it's certainly not exactly "traditional" Abba . . . . .
Not a traditional Abba song indeed, one of two instrumentals they did (the other one was the title track to "Arrival"). That's quite an unusual choice, how did you discover it? :o
Benny
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:14 pm

When I Kissed The Teacher: 8/10 - Good song! I would've like to have seen a video filmed for this.

S.O.S.: 8/10 - Solid track. Catchy chorus.

When All Is Said and Done: 10/10 - My second favourite ballad from ABBA. Love the vocals, adore the lyrics, and the entire sound ties in so well with the emotion of the track. This is probably my third favourite song overall from them too.

Knowing Me, Knowing You: 6.5/10 - I know this is one of their more popular singles, but I was never a huge fan of it. For some reason, it never clicked with me.

The Winner Takes It All: 10/10 - One of the greatest songs ever recorded and unquestionably my favourite ABBA song. Brilliantly written, gorgeously song, everything about this song screams perfection. Epic ballad. I often refer to it as "the ballad of defeat".

Loved the countdown, Benny! I discovered some really killer songs from ABBA that I didn't know before (I still haven't gotten around to checking out their albums in full yet!) so much thanks for that. :D
"You think your pain and your heartbreak are unprecedented in the history of the world, but then you read." - James Baldwin
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby CZB » Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:05 pm

Benny wrote:
CZB wrote:Intermezzo No. 1
. . . . . my top Abba track of all time ! Other readers might well not have heard (of) it, but as can be discovered from the link, it's certainly not exactly "traditional" Abba . . . . .
Not a traditional Abba song indeed, one of two instrumentals they did (the other one was the title track to "Arrival"). That's quite an unusual choice, how did you discover it? :o
Answered eighteen months ago, deep within my own personal chart thread ! :D

I first heard this track, week after week after week, in 1983 - without any idea of what it was, who it was by, or even how many years earlier it had been recorded! Back then, the BBC Radio One chart show had one of its worst presenters - the now deceased Tommy Vance, who typically played about thirty of the UK top forty between 5.00 and 7.00 on Sundays.

However, I discovered that my local commercial radio station, Metro Radio, were doing a three-hour chart show based on the official top 100. I'm not sure if it was from 3.00 to 6.00, or from 4.00 to 7.00, but there was definitely some overlap - so while listening to one, I'd record the other to listen to later. I'm almost (but not quite) certain that the presenter was Giles Squire.....who, a few years later, would have an hour-long chart-based programme on the same station, Mondays to Fridays at 4.00. From memory, Monday was the UK albums chart, Tuesday was the UK singles chart, Wednesday was the American singles chart, Friday was a local Tyneside chart, and Thursday was the one never to be missed - the Europarade!

Anyway, the three-hour top 100 programme always featured two new entries from between 100 and 76, then eight new entries and/or climbers from 75 to 31, then the top thirty in full. And it used this wonderful instrumental as its theme tune - part of it would be played at the beginning of each hour, and the last ninety seconds were used as the backing for a (very quick!) read-through recap of the top thirty, just ahead of the number one.

It wasn't until early in 1994 that I saw a television broadcast of the music-documentary-movie "Abba - The Movie", in which the track was featured, and first realised that it was by that group (well, two of them at least.....). I was finally able to identify the title, and to ask a contact in Europe to find me a copy on 7" single. It was the B-side of "Mamma Mia" in some countries (but not in the UK).

When that arrived, it was my second highest new breaker in March 1994.....narrowly losing out to Nilsson's Without You" as that month's Chartbuster! Then it had a seven-month run in my top forty (06 02 02 02 05 07 29), only prevented from reaching number one by Ace of Base "The Sign" and the Croatian Eurovision entry by Put - becoming, by quite a margin, my favourite Abba track of all time!
CZB
Legend

Postby Benny » Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:06 pm

JSparksFan wrote:Loved the countdown, Benny! I discovered some really killer songs from ABBA that I didn't know before (I still haven't gotten around to checking out their albums in full yet!) so much thanks for that. :D
You're welcome, I'm glad you discovered some new songs that you liked. :D

JSparksFan wrote:When I Kissed The Teacher: 8/10 - Good song! I would've like to have seen a video filmed for this.
Well they actually did. You can check it out in the link above, it was filmed for a 1976 TV special and is quite hilarious. :lol:
Benny
Legend

Return to Personal Charts