Serbo-Croatian language

Moderator: Spartan

Postby grooveboy » Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:14 pm

Prica od bratu i sestri kojima mama nije dala da izlaze iz kuce. Vidim da je prica objavljena 2015, al ja sam danas slucajno naletio na video i ovo je stvarno :o :o

grooveboy
Superstar

Postby grooveboy » Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:08 pm

Zasto ja ovo ne mogu prestati slusati zadnja 2 dana? :cry: :cry:

Spot je vrh! :lol: 8-)
grooveboy
Superstar

Postby maroon » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:36 pm

I have just left the former Yugoslavia and a couple of questions are popping up in my head. Maybe some of you may know the answers.

What are the differences between:
- ćevap, ćevapi (plural?) and ćevapčići
- pekara and pekarnica
- kolodvor and autobuska stanica
- dom and kuća
- ć and č

And last but not least, why is "dobrodošli" (by the way one of my favourite words in this language, so literally translated, funny but simply brilliant) sometimes written as one word and sometimes in 2 words?
maroon
Superstar

Location: Amsterdam (NL) / Gijón (ES) / Rzeszów (PL) / Brno (CZ) / Cork (IE)

Postby Carbon » Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:23 pm

maroon wrote:What are the differences between:
- ćevap, ćevapi (plural?) and ćevapčići
- pekara and pekarnica
- kolodvor and autobuska stanica
- dom and kuća
- ć and č

And last but not least, why is "dobrodošli" (by the way one of my favourite words in this language, so literally translated, funny but simply brilliant) sometimes written as one word and sometimes in 2 words?
I actually didn't know how to answer some of these and I had to google :lol: :oops: hope this helps, and someone else from our region is free to correct me if I write something wrong, since I'm maybe speculating based on how I grew up with these words

1. ćevap = singular, ćevapi = plural, ćevapčići = deminutive form of ćevapi (= small ćevapi), but it's basically used as a synonym of ćevapi. personally I tend to say ćevapi more often because it's shorter and less annoying to pronounce, but both are used often afaik

2. both words are used interchangably to refer to a bakery, but actually pekara means "the place where bread (and similar products) is made" and pekarnica "the place where bread is sold". I guess since it's usually made and sold in the same place, that's why people don't tell the two words apart. I didn't even know about this distinction, I only say pekara because it sounds more "correct" in my mind, even though now I see that it's not the case

3. (autobusni) kolodvor is actually Croatian for bus station, autobuska stanica is Serbian (possibly Bosnian and Montenegrin too). in Croatia we say autobusna stanica for bus stops in local transportation, not the huge one for inter-city lines

4. dom = home, kuća = house

5. they are actually different sounds, ć being pronounced softer. however, in most of Croatia, people can't hear the difference and they pronounce everything like č. in Serbian it's quite obvious and the existence of the two letters makes sense :lol: well, in standard Croatian it should also be pronounced, but only some smaller parts of the country actually use it and hear that difference afaik

6. dobro došli is like an interjection/greeting, while dobrodošli is an adjective. Since you can't hear the diference in pronunciation, people (including me until now :oops: :oops: ) mistakenly write dobrodošli for the greeting, which is incorrect. this is news to me tbh, and I consider myself a decently literate person :lol:
Ја кријам главата под шалот.
Само на веѓите ми се гледа
дека мислам на тебе.

last.fm
Carbon
Legend

Postby maroon » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:15 am

Thanks a lot, Carbon, for your answers and explanations! I'm glad you could also find out something new, haha.
I would really like to learn this language but I guess they'd have to unify it again as learning everything in 4 different variants would be a nightmare and that's, I guess, the reason why there are so scarce resources for learning Serbo-Croatian.
maroon
Superstar

Location: Amsterdam (NL) / Gijón (ES) / Rzeszów (PL) / Brno (CZ) / Cork (IE)

Postby Gravity » Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:07 pm

Carbon wrote:2. both words are used interchangably to refer to a bakery, but actually pekara means "the place where bread (and similar products) is made" and pekarnica "the place where bread is sold". I guess since it's usually made and sold in the same place, that's why people don't tell the two words apart. I didn't even know about this distinction, I only say pekara because it sounds more "correct" in my mind, even though now I see that it's not the case
Everything is better than pekarna variant. It's sooo incorrect, yet used so much, especially in Zagreb.
Gravity
Superstar

Postby Serby » Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:50 pm

I don't remember ever hearing those two words. Maybe few times, but that would be it and not even sure if someone said it or I just read it.

Pekarna :lol: :lol:
Serby
Dr. Serby

Return to The Lounge