The Random Thought Thread

Moderators: biscuits, Spartan

 

Postby biscuits » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:06 pm

DnBLover wrote:Moving to Norway for a few years. On the plane right now. Should be fun
Sounds lovely. One of the best places to live I’ve heard
User avatar
biscuits
The Diva
 
Posts: 42682
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010

Postby cheapthrills » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:24 pm

NothingFails wrote:[
You seriously missed my point though.

The younger (30 and below) generation views their favorite artists as sports teams, the idea of liking a "competing" artist is somehow viewed as traitorous and akin to liking two rival Football teams or something. I mean, the idea of someone being able to enjoy both Taylor Swift and Katy Perry is practically unheard of to most because the fans can't justify actually liking two artists who might not be bff. You're the ones who are territorial and think enjoying Rihanna's music is obviously off-limits because it would be betraying your love for Beyonce. Our generation didn't care if Madonna and Janet hated each other or that Prince and Michael didn't get along, we were able to enjoy both and put the enjoyment of their music first without playing into this stupid sporting team mentality that really came into play once stanning and the net really took off. If we disliked an artist, it all boiled down to the fact that we didn't like their music, no ______ is the enemy of ______, so I have to hate them.
So, first of all, you are on a music forum.. Therefore, you are going to see more of that behavior here than you would likely see in the general public.

But second of all, I didn't miss your point. What I'm saying is that previous generations weren't more altruistic with music in this regard; they just didn't have access to this kind of technology. The internet fosters a closer bond with an artist/genre. That, in turn, might make someone feel more protective of an artist. Biscuits could literally read something new about Janet Jackson on UKmix every week. SummerPuer could tag Kylie on Instagram if he wanted to show off his shrine to her. MusicRecords can retweet Katy when she says things like "Beware Regina in sheep's clothing." None of these things were possible twenty years ago.
Check out my weekly top 20 songs here. :)
User avatar
cheapthrills
Manager
 
Posts: 3339
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2016
Location: Rocky Mountain High

Postby toni_pest » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:24 pm

DnBLover wrote:Moving to Norway for a few years. On the plane right now. Should be fun
:lol: so chll for someone moving to the other part of the continent. good luck and have fun.
:)
User avatar
toni_pest
Coming Soon
 
Posts: 31734
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007

Postby cheapthrills » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:26 pm

DnBLover wrote:Moving to Norway for a few years. On the plane right now. Should be fun
That sounds so casual, haha. Oh nbd, just moving to Norway :lol:

The pictures of Norway always look so beautiful. Someday I'd like to see the fjords. :)

Good luck!
Check out my weekly top 20 songs here. :)
User avatar
cheapthrills
Manager
 
Posts: 3339
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2016
Location: Rocky Mountain High

Postby RayRay » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:28 pm

NothingFails wrote:
RayRay wrote:
NothingFails wrote:My random, maybe even unpopular thought.

Gen X'ers and Xennials (those born roughly between 1976-1986 who fall into that gap between the end of Gen X and the birth of the Millennials) seem to have it better than millennials in terms of music because we never saw artists as sport teams and were able to go across the board with musical tastes (it wasn't that uncommon to own both Whitney and Guns N Roses in your collection). We could enjoy Madonna and Janet and not see a rivalry, we could worship at the altar of both Michael and Prince and never see any feud, etc.... Since it seems like younger people always put conditions (if I like _____, then _____ is my sworn enemy) instead of just liking artists for the sake of that they enjoy their music, videos, art, whatever.
Although there is some truth in this, I did experience other people's envy when I didn't hide my love for Madonna and Mariah in the early 90s.
I always felt Madonna and Mariah were such polar opposites and were only ever really "rivals" once Mariah started breaking chart records and the sort. Janet and (in the 80s) Cyndi Lauper were always more direct competition for Madonna in terms of the type of audience they appealed to and whatever, while Celine was more a direct rival for Mariah musically in the 90s, with Whitney kind of floating in and being able to compete with both. I personally didn't care for Mariah until Butterfly, not really because of a "feud" with Madonna but because I wasn't really at the time into the type of music she made, and I'm sure there were a lot of Mariah fans in the 90s who felt the same way towards Madge. Now you see Taylor fans who have to resist the urge to admit they like Katy's music because it's an unspoken law that you're not allowed to like both.

There's always been the hardcore stanbases back to the days of Elvis and The Beatles, but the internet really brought it out worse to where people felt the need to pick an artist and hate all rivals like it's sports instead of music, whereas it wasn't as unheard of in say, 1990 to worship both Madonna in her Blond Ambition days and Janet in her Rhythm Nation days as it is now where too many couldn't fathom being able to enjoy two competing pop stars at the same time.
Still, fans have always thought their idol was superior. My love for divas has always been looked down on by my peers who adored U2.
User avatar
RayRay
Superstar
 
Posts: 8077
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2011
Location: Netherlands

Postby Gravity » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:43 pm

I don't think that most people in real life care that Taylor and Katy have a beef

Stan Twitter cares, of course, but they're not representative of your average music listener imo
Floped and localed
User avatar
Gravity
Superstar
 
Posts: 7571
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2016
Location: Luxurious Undergrind

Postby TIfan » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:05 pm

I think rivals nowadays are not as bad. I mean, look at Tupac and Biggie.

They did not have the internet back in the days, but I can only imagine what they would have said during those times.
TIfan
Legend
 
Posts: 10795
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2008

Postby Serby » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:09 pm

cheapthrills wrote:
DnBLover wrote:Moving to Norway for a few years. On the plane right now. Should be fun
That sounds so casual, haha. Oh nbd, just moving to Norway :lol:

The pictures of Norway always look so beautiful. Someday I'd like to see the fjords. :)

Good luck!
I can send you pics of my hairline, I call them fjords cuz they go in so much. :cry: :lol: :lol:
User avatar
Serby
Dr. Serby
 
Posts: 35075
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011
Location: Halliwell Manor

Postby NothingFails » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:28 pm

RayRay wrote:
NothingFails wrote:
RayRay wrote:
NothingFails wrote:My random, maybe even unpopular thought.

Gen X'ers and Xennials (those born roughly between 1976-1986 who fall into that gap between the end of Gen X and the birth of the Millennials) seem to have it better than millennials in terms of music because we never saw artists as sport teams and were able to go across the board with musical tastes (it wasn't that uncommon to own both Whitney and Guns N Roses in your collection). We could enjoy Madonna and Janet and not see a rivalry, we could worship at the altar of both Michael and Prince and never see any feud, etc.... Since it seems like younger people always put conditions (if I like _____, then _____ is my sworn enemy) instead of just liking artists for the sake of that they enjoy their music, videos, art, whatever.
Although there is some truth in this, I did experience other people's envy when I didn't hide my love for Madonna and Mariah in the early 90s.
I always felt Madonna and Mariah were such polar opposites and were only ever really "rivals" once Mariah started breaking chart records and the sort. Janet and (in the 80s) Cyndi Lauper were always more direct competition for Madonna in terms of the type of audience they appealed to and whatever, while Celine was more a direct rival for Mariah musically in the 90s, with Whitney kind of floating in and being able to compete with both. I personally didn't care for Mariah until Butterfly, not really because of a "feud" with Madonna but because I wasn't really at the time into the type of music she made, and I'm sure there were a lot of Mariah fans in the 90s who felt the same way towards Madge. Now you see Taylor fans who have to resist the urge to admit they like Katy's music because it's an unspoken law that you're not allowed to like both.

There's always been the hardcore stanbases back to the days of Elvis and The Beatles, but the internet really brought it out worse to where people felt the need to pick an artist and hate all rivals like it's sports instead of music, whereas it wasn't as unheard of in say, 1990 to worship both Madonna in her Blond Ambition days and Janet in her Rhythm Nation days as it is now where too many couldn't fathom being able to enjoy two competing pop stars at the same time.
Still, fans have always thought their idol was superior. My love for divas has always been looked down on by my peers who adored U2.
Those are apples and oranges though. U2 was an entirely different genre of music than your Mariah's, Madonna's and Celine's were. Now a U2 fan looking down on an REM fan or something would be more fitting for this discussion since they were in a similar genre and certainly had a portion of its audience that overlapped with U2's audience, but what you described really no different than how many diva stans today can give two effs about the trendy indie artist since that's an entirely different world of music than the all-female all-pop bread and butter they go for.
NothingFails
Legend
 
Posts: 42991
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2004

Postby Michiel » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:31 pm

Second tattoo: check!
"Common sense is a chaotic aggregate of disparate conceptions, and one can find there anything that one like."
Last.FM
Instagram
User avatar
Michiel
Legend
 
Posts: 10809
Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2010
Location: Antwerpen, Belgium

Postby NothingFails » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:21 pm

cheapthrills wrote:
NothingFails wrote:[
You seriously missed my point though.

The younger (30 and below) generation views their favorite artists as sports teams, the idea of liking a "competing" artist is somehow viewed as traitorous and akin to liking two rival Football teams or something. I mean, the idea of someone being able to enjoy both Taylor Swift and Katy Perry is practically unheard of to most because the fans can't justify actually liking two artists who might not be bff. You're the ones who are territorial and think enjoying Rihanna's music is obviously off-limits because it would be betraying your love for Beyonce. Our generation didn't care if Madonna and Janet hated each other or that Prince and Michael didn't get along, we were able to enjoy both and put the enjoyment of their music first without playing into this stupid sporting team mentality that really came into play once stanning and the net really took off. If we disliked an artist, it all boiled down to the fact that we didn't like their music, no ______ is the enemy of ______, so I have to hate them.
So, first of all, you are on a music forum.. Therefore, you are going to see more of that behavior here than you would likely see in the general public.

But second of all, I didn't miss your point. What I'm saying is that previous generations weren't more altruistic with music in this regard; they just didn't have access to this kind of technology. The internet fosters a closer bond with an artist/genre. That, in turn, might make someone feel more protective of an artist. Biscuits could literally read something new about Janet Jackson on UKmix every week. SummerPuer could tag Kylie on Instagram if he wanted to show off his shrine to her. MusicRecords can retweet Katy when she says things like "Beware Regina in sheep's clothing." None of these things were possible twenty years ago.
The fact this is a general "music" forum instead of a fan-specific site is precisely why it sound be more able to like multiple artists instead of playing into the stan-herd "I'm a Monster... therefore ______, _____ and _____ are my sworn enemies while its okay if I like ______" which would be more fitting on an artist-specific website. It should be where people are allowed to have a more wide range of artist tastes instead of putting all eggs into one artist and everyone else is the enemy even if you might otherwise have enjoyed the music of a "competitor" artist. I don't expect, for say, a Rihanna fan to enjoy Grizzly Bear or The National, entirely different genre of music, but you would think they would be able to like other major female pop stars who are in a similar musical genre/vein but yet they feel like they can't because said artist might have a new album out around the same time or perhaps has a song riding high on the charts at the same time she does, so therefore it's their sworn enemy lol.

I fail to see where older audiences didn't have a similar bond with their faves as this generation does with theirs. Have you ever met a 60 year old Beatles fan? They are as passionate about them (or The Rolling Stones or Led Zeppelin or David Bowie or Bruce Springsteen or someone) as Hugo is for Beyonce or MrLeonix is for Britney. Just because they weren't able to tweet to John Lennon didn't make them less passionate. The difference though is that you will see many more of those 60 year old Beatles stans who in turn were also pretty big Rolling Stones fans, and in the 60s the Beatles/Stones was as big a feud as any two big female pop stars are today, but they were able to put the music first and enjoy both bands in their prime even if they still might've preferred one to the other.
NothingFails
Legend
 
Posts: 42991
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2004

Postby MusicRecords » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:28 pm

Someone summarize all those long boring looking essays please, not here to read all that
Follow me on Instagram

trebor wrote:16. MusicRecords: #Mess #BV #Bish #YSL #STFU #Sis #LOL #$$$ #FrequentFlyerSpammer #I&I&I
User avatar
MusicRecords
Legend
 
Posts: 11248
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2012
Location: New York City & Vienna

Postby RayRay » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:29 pm

^ Most Beatles fans I know hated The Stones and vice versa.
User avatar
RayRay
Superstar
 
Posts: 8077
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2011
Location: Netherlands

Postby NothingFails » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:31 pm

RayRay wrote:^ Most Beatles fans I know hated The Stones and vice versa.
Maybe 50 years ago, but I see a ton of Beatles fans who begrudgingly today admit the Stones were a good band, and vice versa.
NothingFails
Legend
 
Posts: 42991
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2004

Postby RayRay » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:34 pm

NothingFails wrote:
RayRay wrote:^ Most Beatles fans I know hated The Stones and vice versa.
Maybe 50 years ago, but I see a ton of Beatles fans who begrudgingly today admit the Stones were a good band, and vice versa.
In 30 years diva fans will love them all too.

I see it happening with the older generations that love Streisand, Miss Ross, etc.
User avatar
RayRay
Superstar
 
Posts: 8077
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2011
Location: Netherlands

Postby NothingFails » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:35 pm

MusicRecords wrote:Someone summarize all those long boring looking essays please, not here to read all that
Sorry that some don't have the comprehension to understand more than 128 characters :lol:
NothingFails
Legend
 
Posts: 42991
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2004

Postby NothingFails » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:37 pm

RayRay wrote:
NothingFails wrote:
RayRay wrote:^ Most Beatles fans I know hated The Stones and vice versa.
Maybe 50 years ago, but I see a ton of Beatles fans who begrudgingly today admit the Stones were a good band, and vice versa.
In 30 years diva fans will love them all too.

I see it happening with the older generations that love Streisand, Miss Ross, etc.
Except for one resident Streisand fan who has a strange hatred for Cher (probably because those two stans together could form an axis if they actually got along lol), when you would think the generation that likes Babs and Celine would respect Cher too moreso than someone like Britney whom said person also loves.
NothingFails
Legend
 
Posts: 42991
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2004

Postby MusicRecords » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:40 pm

NothingFails wrote:
MusicRecords wrote:Someone summarize all those long boring looking essays please, not here to read all that
Sorry that some don't have the comprehension to understand more than 128 characters :lol:
not on a music forum, this isn't some encyclopedia :lol:
Follow me on Instagram

trebor wrote:16. MusicRecords: #Mess #BV #Bish #YSL #STFU #Sis #LOL #$$$ #FrequentFlyerSpammer #I&I&I
User avatar
MusicRecords
Legend
 
Posts: 11248
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2012
Location: New York City & Vienna

Postby MrLeonix » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:41 pm

Led Zeppelin / Pink Floyd >>>>>>>>>>> The Beatles / The Rolling Stones
Britney Spears . Michael Jackson . Madonna . U2 . Radiohead . Lenny Kravitz . Led Zeppelin . Daft Punk . Oasis . Eminem . Metallica . Soda Stereo
User avatar
MrLeonix
Legend
 
Posts: 18745
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013

Postby Wayne » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:46 pm

MusicRecords wrote:Someone summarize all those long boring looking essays please, not here to read all that
Respectfully, shush.
User avatar
Wayne
Administrator
 
Posts: 48901
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006
Location: United Kingdom

Postby Guru » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:46 pm

.
Last edited by Guru on Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
| Ciara | Beyoncé | Janet | Toni | Kelly R | Leona | Tinashe | Whitney | Brandy | Monica | Tevin | Mariah | Britney |
User avatar
Guru
Guru
 
Posts: 23300
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2006
Location: On ukmix.org

Postby Guru » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:47 pm

biscuits wrote:
DnBLover wrote:Moving to Norway for a few years. On the plane right now. Should be fun
Sounds lovely. One of the best places to live I’ve heard
Bish. You say it so casually :lol:
Like I’d say something like that when going to KFC down the road :lol:

Driving to KFC for a few minutes. On the road right now. Should be fun
:lol:
| Ciara | Beyoncé | Janet | Toni | Kelly R | Leona | Tinashe | Whitney | Brandy | Monica | Tevin | Mariah | Britney |
User avatar
Guru
Guru
 
Posts: 23300
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2006
Location: On ukmix.org

Postby NothingFails » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:51 pm

MrLeonix wrote:Led Zeppelin / Pink Floyd >>>>>>>>>>> The Beatles / The Rolling Stones
Floyd I can see, but i personally lost a lot of respect for Zeppelin after learning about how much of plagiarists those guys were towards blues musicians that came before them to where they had multiple lawsuits to give proper songwriting credits to people like Willie Dixon and Muddy Waters.
NothingFails
Legend
 
Posts: 42991
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2004

Postby thankfulforkelly » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:58 pm

Gravity wrote:I don't think that most people in real life care that Taylor and Katy have a beef

Stan Twitter cares, of course, but they're not representative of your average music listener imo
Hit the nail on the head
Reaching your lemon
Say you're reaching your lemon
Going over your lemon
User avatar
thankfulforkelly
Manager
 
Posts: 4678
Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2015

Postby stevyy » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:18 pm

This whole music = sports team attitude is very annoying and mostky displayed by young(er) people.

My uncle for example is a hardcore rock music lover who loves ACDC, Dire Straits, Clapton etc, but I remember him also saying sth about Mariah when I was kid and it became public that I am Mariah Carey - her re-incarnation.
User avatar
stevyy
Legend
 
Posts: 48803
Joined: Sat May 14, 2005
Location: .dk

Return to The Lounge