The Random Thought Thread

Moderators: biscuits, Spartan

 

Postby Hugo » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:43 pm

spiritboy wrote:Beyoncé is simply the Queen of the World. There hasn't been an artist that has so much impact since Michael Jackson :(
Also you have to factor in that she's +20 years into her career. What were these other legendary acts doing 20 years into their careers? It's mind-blowing when you start thinking about that.
"You are Beyoncé!"
"Thank You."
User avatar
Hugo
HAL 9000
 
Posts: 38654
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009
Location: Portugal

Postby DnBLover » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:54 pm

Hugo wrote:
spiritboy wrote:Beyoncé is simply the Queen of the World. There hasn't been an artist that has so much impact since Michael Jackson :(
Also you have to factor in that she's +20 years into her career. What were these other legendary acts doing 20 years into their careers? It's mind-blowing when you start thinking about that.
But she wasn't doing anything "legendary" when she started.

So it's a different route for her than for pretty much everyone else. MJ or The Beatles, for instance, they were fresh and different from the start (maybe not MJ with the Jackson 5, I don't really know). Or even Madonna, who was probably doing something new from the beginning, no? And this probably applies to most artists who 10 years into their career had left a huge mark.

10 years into her career Beyoncé was hardly doing anything out of the ordinary (as in, not different from most other mainstream artists). Yes she was already a supreme performer but artistically? Not as much. She really started coming out of her shell once she had more freedom and managed herself. So she first built her empire and only then expressed her true artistic self.

It is extraordinary that she has lasted this long and is a woman approaching 40s and still has this sort of influence. What she's done is more impressive in the sense that she seems to get better and better, rather than hit a peak and then fade away.

Someone else who's been impressive is Rihanna in my opinion. And quite impactful in a different manner.
I am the maniac, I am the ghoul
I'm in the shadows in the corners of my room
User avatar
DnBLover
Legend
 
Posts: 13238
Joined: Mon Dec 21, 2009
Location: PT

Postby Hugo » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:01 pm

DnBLover wrote:
Hugo wrote:
spiritboy wrote:Beyoncé is simply the Queen of the World. There hasn't been an artist that has so much impact since Michael Jackson :(
Also you have to factor in that she's +20 years into her career. What were these other legendary acts doing 20 years into their careers? It's mind-blowing when you start thinking about that.
But she wasn't doing anything "legendary" when she started.
See, you might think that, but imo she birthed all the modern urban ladies and reshaped modern R&B. Even older legends like Mariah, her most successful era in the new millennium was heavily inspired by Dangerously In Love. You could see the hard work from the very beginning and she started with a pretty big BOOM, from the incredible sales, to the #1s and Grammys, the acknowledgment from legends like Prince, Tina and Michael... The praise and the accomplishments were there from the start.
"You are Beyoncé!"
"Thank You."
User avatar
Hugo
HAL 9000
 
Posts: 38654
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009
Location: Portugal

Postby biscuits » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:03 pm

I respectfully disagree :)

I do not see how DIL inspired The Emancipation of Mimi at all. And Beyoncé was not the first woman to work hard.
User avatar
biscuits
The Diva
 
Posts: 44709
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010

Postby Hugo » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:06 pm

And she thanked all the female legends that helped her get to where she is, she never fails to give credit and show love.
Last edited by Hugo on Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You are Beyoncé!"
"Thank You."
User avatar
Hugo
HAL 9000
 
Posts: 38654
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009
Location: Portugal

Postby DnBLover » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:06 pm

Ok I honestly don't know enough of the music scene back then. Might be true, idk.
She's definitely much more intelligent than a great part of her peers (almost all of them). And all her years in the business have given her a great deal of knowledge, that's for sure.
I am the maniac, I am the ghoul
I'm in the shadows in the corners of my room
User avatar
DnBLover
Legend
 
Posts: 13238
Joined: Mon Dec 21, 2009
Location: PT

Postby Hugo » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:08 pm

Managing herself and bypassing the media have been the most important decisions she ever made. I wish others acts, established acts, learned that too!
Last edited by Hugo on Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You are Beyoncé!"
"Thank You."
User avatar
Hugo
HAL 9000
 
Posts: 38654
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009
Location: Portugal

Postby biscuits » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:08 pm

Hugo wrote:And she thanked all the female legends that helped her get to where she is, she never fails to give credit and show love.
Most female artists do that though.
User avatar
biscuits
The Diva
 
Posts: 44709
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010

Postby TheRealest » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:11 pm

NothingFails wrote:
TheRealest wrote:
biscuits wrote:I know plenty of people who like Drake
Right... maybe y’all just know a bunch of lames
Given that Drake is basically the Adam Levine or Ed Sheeran of hip hop, I think it's the reverse :lol:
Sis..... you don’t know hip hop culture
User avatar
TheRealest
The Queen
 
Posts: 13945
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009
Location: USA

Postby Hugo » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:11 pm

biscuits wrote:
Hugo wrote:And she thanked all the female legends that helped her get to where she is, she never fails to give credit and show love.
Most female artists do that though.
Maybe at the start of their careers, then the diva attitude kicks in (males included, obviously).
"You are Beyoncé!"
"Thank You."
User avatar
Hugo
HAL 9000
 
Posts: 38654
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009
Location: Portugal

Postby DnBLover » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:27 pm

TheRealest wrote:
NothingFails wrote:
TheRealest wrote:
biscuits wrote:I know plenty of people who like Drake
Right... maybe y’all just know a bunch of lames
Given that Drake is basically the Adam Levine or Ed Sheeran of hip hop, I think it's the reverse :lol:
Sis..... you don’t know hip hop culture
Drake is not a serious rapper though. I can't put Kendrick or Cole nowhere near Drake. They have overlapping audiences but they aim at different things.

I never really liked a lot of Drake stuff but he has plenty of tunes I love. Marvin's Room has been a jam til this day.
I am the maniac, I am the ghoul
I'm in the shadows in the corners of my room
User avatar
DnBLover
Legend
 
Posts: 13238
Joined: Mon Dec 21, 2009
Location: PT

Postby RayRay » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:47 pm

spiritboy wrote:Beyoncé is simply the Queen of the World. There hasn't been an artist that has so much impact since Michael Jackson :(
:lol: :lol: :lol:
User avatar
RayRay
Superstar
 
Posts: 9537
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2011
Location: Netherlands

Postby Parkelife » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:59 pm

Next the hive will be saying Beyonce will win the nobel peace prize for song writing even though someone else wrote the lyrics lol.
Parkelife
Roadie
 
Posts: 257
Joined: Sun May 12, 2013

Postby Hugo » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:06 pm

Last edited by Hugo on Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You are Beyoncé!"
"Thank You."
User avatar
Hugo
HAL 9000
 
Posts: 38654
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009
Location: Portugal

Postby BeeBoy » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:08 pm

Take a look
https://www.instagram.com/celebslovebey_/
https://www.instagram.com/beylite/
This has nothing to do with the Hive as they think this for years now. The praise is coming from loads of peers and newpapers/critics as well. Won't comment on that tired imaginative argument as it has nothing to do with the topic :lol: .
User avatar
BeeBoy
Personal Assistant
 
Posts: 765
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2008
Location: Germany

Postby biscuits » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:10 pm

User avatar
biscuits
The Diva
 
Posts: 44709
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010

Postby Hugo » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:10 pm

Songwriting is much more than just lyrics, I've taught you that already, but I'm not surprised the dumb prefer ignorance.
"You are Beyoncé!"
"Thank You."
User avatar
Hugo
HAL 9000
 
Posts: 38654
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009
Location: Portugal

Postby Hugo » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:13 pm

biscuits wrote:
You do hate Janet though :-?
I don't even know where this comes from!? I don't hate Janet, she's not even on my radar. :lol:

She does mention the Jackson family a lot as an inspiration, but it's invariably Michael or the Jackson 5.
"You are Beyoncé!"
"Thank You."
User avatar
Hugo
HAL 9000
 
Posts: 38654
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009
Location: Portugal

Postby NothingFails » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:19 pm

Not sure if Destinys Child will get in but I think Bey is a surefire day one Hall of fame inductee. Her popularity and respect is across the board.
NothingFails
Legend
 
Posts: 43795
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2004

Postby RayRay » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:20 pm

Great to see Kylie is only the third artist to have four songs in the UKMIX personal top 10.

Also #1 album in the UK and Australia. Such a great album. :D
User avatar
RayRay
Superstar
 
Posts: 9537
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2011
Location: Netherlands

Postby Hugo » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:22 pm

NothingFails wrote:Not sure if Destinys Child will get in but I think Bey is a surefire day one Hall of fame inductee. Her popularity and respect is across the board.
I still don't understand why that is such a big deal tbh I know lots of great acts have been inducted and lots of great ones haven't, there's always controversy. But what happens exactly and why is it meaningful?
"You are Beyoncé!"
"Thank You."
User avatar
Hugo
HAL 9000
 
Posts: 38654
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009
Location: Portugal

Postby biscuits » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:25 pm

Hugo wrote:She does mention the Jackson family a lot as an inspiration, but it's invariably Michael or the Jackson 5.
Purposely in denial or genuinely without clue?

Just a few examples

User avatar
biscuits
The Diva
 
Posts: 44709
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010

Postby NothingFails » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:26 pm

The Hall of Fame is an ego trip and a joke and there are many artists who deserve to be in who aren't and people in there that aren't as deserving but it's still the ultimate token of appreciation and respect from your peers and the industry. I think her getting inducted the first year eligible is a no brainer.
NothingFails
Legend
 
Posts: 43795
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2004

Postby Hugo » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:28 pm

biscuits wrote:
Hugo wrote:She does mention the Jackson family a lot as an inspiration, but it's invariably Michael or the Jackson 5.
Purposely in denial or genuinely without clue?

Just a few examples
Cookies, I know all of that. I wanted to tease you and make you post the receipts. Did you make the video? :lol:
"You are Beyoncé!"
"Thank You."
User avatar
Hugo
HAL 9000
 
Posts: 38654
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009
Location: Portugal

Postby biscuits » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:30 pm

Hugo wrote:
biscuits wrote:
Hugo wrote:She does mention the Jackson family a lot as an inspiration, but it's invariably Michael or the Jackson 5.
Purposely in denial or genuinely without clue?

Just a few examples
Cookies, I know all of that. I wanted to tease you and make you post the receipts. Did you make the video? :lol:
No, I made this one :oops:

User avatar
biscuits
The Diva
 
Posts: 44709
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010

Return to The Lounge