The Random Thought Thread

Moderators: biscuits, Spartan

 

Postby Wayne » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:06 pm

stevyy wrote:so why is her catalogue getting all these random re-certs in the UK and elsewhere? Mariah may be a legacy act today... but what's so bad about that? Her last compilation album went silver in the UK.
Probably because she does well on streaming - also, elsewhere? UK aside, what other countries is she regularly getting certifications in?

stevyy wrote:Mariah is not a huge touring act, but she is touring regardless. So she can do that. Maybe she cannot perform for 60,000 people in one venue... but as long as she can get 5-10k per concert that's fine as well.
That's good then - just out of interest, outside of her Lionel shows, how many times has she performed to 10,000 people in the last 5 years?

stevyy wrote:I am sure that Madonna is not going to sell 1m copies of her future albums either... almost nobody is selling that in traditional sales anymore. I believe that Mariah has it in her to get another album selling 500,000 worldwide.. Maybe that is the point in which we differ. What dismissing her like that and counting her out is very Glitter-backlash from you.
I'm not dismissing her - her career has become shocking. I fully supported her with #Beautiful and rooted for its success. But it was just another project mismanaged, another issue she failed to face into.

I'll make a prediction right now - Mariah will never sell 500,000 copies of a new studio album again.

stevyy wrote:i think you insinuated that Mariah Carey doesn't have a dedicated fanbase... but weren't you at one of her concerts last year?
I've only attended one concert in the last year, and it was not Mariah.
User avatar
Wayne
Administrator
 
Posts: 47350
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006
Location: United Kingdom

Postby stevyy » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:06 pm

MusicRecords wrote:^stop defending that flop :P :lol:

Wayne wrote:Madonna doesn't need a hit - she's relevant, she sells a million copies of every album she releases and makes $100m+ from touring. Madonna's career is safe, she has a dedicated fanbase and she'll sell records for the rest of her life.

Mariah doesn't have that assurance, outside of a Christmas hit that has arguably become bigger than she is.
This! Madonna can have flop singles and all but she'll keep making huge $$$
I am pretty sure Mariah made something like $13 million in 2016... I mean I know that's peanuts FOR YOU and YOU'd probably starve from them little coins... I could buy a lunch or two for that dough. :lol:
User avatar
stevyy
Legend
 
Posts: 47936
Joined: Sat May 14, 2005
Location: .dk

Postby RayRay » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:07 pm

Still, Mariah, Madonna, Whitney, Celine and Janet are the greatest artists that made my younger years worth living.
User avatar
RayRay
Superstar
 
Posts: 6694
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2011
Location: Netherlands

Postby cheapthrills » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:10 pm

Speaking of Christmas hits, I am accepting nominations on the Christmas countdown thread through tomorrow. Then it will be time to vote. I hope some of you can participate in both nominating and voting.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

yes I know you all would prefer to debate the big 5 rn. :P
Follow UKmix's favorite seasonal songs here!
My Personal Chart - Cheapthrills' Cheap 20 :)
User avatar
cheapthrills
Manager
 
Posts: 2570
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2016
Location: Rocky Mountain High

Postby RayRay » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:11 pm

Speaking of Christmas. Let me know your favorite version of Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas by clicking on the link in my signature. Thank you.
User avatar
RayRay
Superstar
 
Posts: 6694
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2011
Location: Netherlands

Postby MusicRecords » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:11 pm

Wayne wrote:
stevyy wrote:i think you insinuated that Mariah Carey doesn't have a dedicated fanbase... but weren't you at one of her concerts last year?
I've only attended one concert in the last year, and it was not Mariah.
Omg :lol: :lol: :lol:
User avatar
MusicRecords
Legend
 
Posts: 10429
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2012
Location: New York City & Vienna

Postby Wayne » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:12 pm

cheapthrills wrote:Speaking of Christmas hits, I am accepting nominations on the Christmas countdown thread through tomorrow. Then it will be time to vote. I hope some of you can participate in both nominating and voting.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

yes I know you all would prefer to debate the big 5 rn. :P
You can count on my participation!
User avatar
Wayne
Administrator
 
Posts: 47350
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006
Location: United Kingdom

Postby stevyy » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:14 pm

Wayne wrote:
That's good then - just out of interest, outside of her Lionel shows, how many times has she performed to 10,000 people in the last 5 years?
March 18, 2016 Manchester Manchester Arena 9,055 / 9,960 (91%)
March 20, 2016 Birmingham Barclaycard Arena 8,470
March 23, 2016 London England The O2 Arena 15,189 / 16,076 (94%)
April 21, 2016 Paris France AccorHotels Arena 9,458
April 26, 2016 Cape Town South Africa Cape Town Stadium 14,420 / 15,817 (91%)
April 29, 2016 Durban Moses Mabhida Stadium 18,403 / 19,135 (96%)
May 2, 2016 Johannesburg Ticketpro Dome 20,014 / 21,203 (94%)
November 8, 2016 Mexico City Mexico Arena Ciudad de Mexico 11,054 / ? (92%)

That's almost France, UK, Mexico, Republic South Africa, and probably also some dates during the EC Show. + Sydney 2013 during the Trumphant Australia Tour.

Not much... but RayRay (if i'm not mistaken) also reported a HUGE crowd in Amsterdam last year.
User avatar
stevyy
Legend
 
Posts: 47936
Joined: Sat May 14, 2005
Location: .dk

Postby stevyy » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:15 pm

MusicRecords wrote:
Wayne wrote:
stevyy wrote:i think you insinuated that Mariah Carey doesn't have a dedicated fanbase... but weren't you at one of her concerts last year?
I've only attended one concert in the last year, and it was not Mariah.
Omg :lol: :lol: :lol:
:oops: (i went... in Copenhagen). :oops: :cry:
User avatar
stevyy
Legend
 
Posts: 47936
Joined: Sat May 14, 2005
Location: .dk

Postby MusicRecords » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:15 pm

stevyy wrote:
MusicRecords wrote:^stop defending that flop :P :lol:

Wayne wrote:Madonna doesn't need a hit - she's relevant, she sells a million copies of every album she releases and makes $100m+ from touring. Madonna's career is safe, she has a dedicated fanbase and she'll sell records for the rest of her life.

Mariah doesn't have that assurance, outside of a Christmas hit that has arguably become bigger than she is.
This! Madonna can have flop singles and all but she'll keep making huge $$$
I am pretty sure Mariah made something like $13 million in 2016... I mean I know that's peanuts FOR YOU and YOU'd probably starve from them little coins... I could buy a lunch or two for that dough. :lol:
Pshhh I'm sure those $13 million are nothing compared to what the one and only true diva queen Madonna made that year :P
So flop flop :lol:

I'm just teasing ya
User avatar
MusicRecords
Legend
 
Posts: 10429
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2012
Location: New York City & Vienna

Postby BlueScorpion » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:17 pm

Bigger than her or not it's still Mariah Carey. She's contributed much to that song's success by tirelessly promoting it and she's still selling well (digitally) amongst her peers. Mariah is yet to deliver a flop lead single from a studio albums of hers, meaning there's a minimum of interest in each era. Plus her VEVO account has great stats for what some believe to be a fading star (no attack to anyone, just citing popular belief).

I know she's had her wrongs and mishaps but she's doing fine for a female approaching 50 that never cared to tour. She's the one making a clown out of herself most of the times but we, in general, are also very harsh when it comes to her.
"Side effects be drowsiness / Loneliness / How is this? / I think they call it hateration / What can you prescribe for this?"
User avatar
BlueScorpion
Superstar
 
Posts: 5515
Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2011
Location: Europe

Postby stevyy » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:17 pm

MusicRecords wrote:
stevyy wrote:
MusicRecords wrote:^stop defending that flop :P :lol:

Wayne wrote:Madonna doesn't need a hit - she's relevant, she sells a million copies of every album she releases and makes $100m+ from touring. Madonna's career is safe, she has a dedicated fanbase and she'll sell records for the rest of her life.

Mariah doesn't have that assurance, outside of a Christmas hit that has arguably become bigger than she is.
This! Madonna can have flop singles and all but she'll keep making huge $$$
I am pretty sure Mariah made something like $13 million in 2016... I mean I know that's peanuts FOR YOU and YOU'd probably starve from them little coins... I could buy a lunch or two for that dough. :lol:
Pshhh I'm sure those $13 million are nothing compared to what the one and only true diva queen Madonna made that year :P
So flop flop :lol:

I'm just teasing ya
I also almost sure, it was more than $13m... She was just outside of those which were reported by Forbes. MC is apparently bankrupt. :oops: #notmychanteuse
User avatar
stevyy
Legend
 
Posts: 47936
Joined: Sat May 14, 2005
Location: .dk

Postby stevyy » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:19 pm

BlueScorpion wrote:Bigger than her or not it's still Mariah Carey. She's contributed much to that song's success by tirelessly promoting it and she's still selling well (digitally) amongst her peers. Mariah is yet to deliver a flop lead single from a studio albums of hers, meaning there's a minimum of interest in each era. Plus her VEVO account has great stats for what some believe to be a fading star (no attack to anyone, just citing popular belief).

I know she's had her wrongs and mishaps but she's doing fine for a female approaching 50 that never cared to tour. She's the one making a clown out of herself most of the times but we, in general, are also very harsh when it comes to her.
this is the truth. See, there are people who can word an opinion in a non.aggressive way. Thank you.
User avatar
stevyy
Legend
 
Posts: 47936
Joined: Sat May 14, 2005
Location: .dk

Postby Wayne » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:21 pm

stevyy wrote:
BlueScorpion wrote:Bigger than her or not it's still Mariah Carey. She's contributed much to that song's success by tirelessly promoting it and she's still selling well (digitally) amongst her peers. Mariah is yet to deliver a flop lead single from a studio albums of hers, meaning there's a minimum of interest in each era. Plus her VEVO account has great stats for what some believe to be a fading star (no attack to anyone, just citing popular belief).

I know she's had her wrongs and mishaps but she's doing fine for a female approaching 50 that never cared to tour. She's the one making a clown out of herself most of the times but we, in general, are also very harsh when it comes to her.
this is the truth. See, there are people who can word an opinion in a non.aggressive way. Thank you.
Enlighten me Mr Moderator, which opinion has been aggressive?
User avatar
Wayne
Administrator
 
Posts: 47350
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006
Location: United Kingdom

Postby MusicRecords » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:22 pm

BlueScorpion wrote:Bigger than her or not it's still Mariah Carey. She's contributed much to that song's success by tirelessly promoting it and she's still selling well (digitally) amongst her peers. Mariah is yet to deliver a flop lead single from a studio albums of hers, meaning there's a minimum of interest in each era. Plus her VEVO account has great stats for what some believe to be a fading star (no attack to anyone, just citing popular belief).

I know she's had her wrongs and mishaps but she's doing fine for a female approaching 50 that never cared to tour. She's the one making a clown out of herself most of the times but we, in general, are also very harsh when it comes to her.
Lmao Triumphant says hello....just because she plans a single for one of her albums and it ends up flopping and she forgets about it pretending it never happened doesn't mean it was never there :lol: it was intended to be a lead single but since it flopped she didn't put it anywhere...cheater cheater
User avatar
MusicRecords
Legend
 
Posts: 10429
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2012
Location: New York City & Vienna

Postby MrLeonix » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:24 pm

MusicRecords wrote:
BlueScorpion wrote:Bigger than her or not it's still Mariah Carey. She's contributed much to that song's success by tirelessly promoting it and she's still selling well (digitally) amongst her peers. Mariah is yet to deliver a flop lead single from a studio albums of hers, meaning there's a minimum of interest in each era. Plus her VEVO account has great stats for what some believe to be a fading star (no attack to anyone, just citing popular belief).

I know she's had her wrongs and mishaps but she's doing fine for a female approaching 50 that never cared to tour. She's the one making a clown out of herself most of the times but we, in general, are also very harsh when it comes to her.
Lmao Triumphant says hello....just because she plans a single for one of her albums and it ends up flopping and she forgets about it pretending it never happened doesn't mean it was never there :lol: it was intended to be a lead single but since it flopped she didn't put it anywhere...cheater cheater
"Through the rain", the lead single from her studio album "Charmbracelet" flopped (#81 on the Hot 100).
Britney Spears . Michael Jackson . Madonna . U2 . Radiohead . Lenny Kravitz . Led Zeppelin . Daft Punk . Oasis . Eminem . Metallica . Soda Stereo
User avatar
MrLeonix
Legend
 
Posts: 18028
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013

Postby MusicRecords » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:25 pm

MrLeonix wrote:
MusicRecords wrote:
BlueScorpion wrote:Bigger than her or not it's still Mariah Carey. She's contributed much to that song's success by tirelessly promoting it and she's still selling well (digitally) amongst her peers. Mariah is yet to deliver a flop lead single from a studio albums of hers, meaning there's a minimum of interest in each era. Plus her VEVO account has great stats for what some believe to be a fading star (no attack to anyone, just citing popular belief).

I know she's had her wrongs and mishaps but she's doing fine for a female approaching 50 that never cared to tour. She's the one making a clown out of herself most of the times but we, in general, are also very harsh when it comes to her.
Lmao Triumphant says hello....just because she plans a single for one of her albums and it ends up flopping and she forgets about it pretending it never happened doesn't mean it was never there :lol: it was intended to be a lead single but since it flopped she didn't put it anywhere...cheater cheater
"Through the rain", the lead single from her studio album "Charmbracelet" flopped (#81 on the Hot 100).
Tell 'em! :lol: :lol:
User avatar
MusicRecords
Legend
 
Posts: 10429
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2012
Location: New York City & Vienna

Postby stevyy » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:28 pm

MusicRecords wrote:
MrLeonix wrote:
MusicRecords wrote:
BlueScorpion wrote:Bigger than her or not it's still Mariah Carey. She's contributed much to that song's success by tirelessly promoting it and she's still selling well (digitally) amongst her peers. Mariah is yet to deliver a flop lead single from a studio albums of hers, meaning there's a minimum of interest in each era. Plus her VEVO account has great stats for what some believe to be a fading star (no attack to anyone, just citing popular belief).

I know she's had her wrongs and mishaps but she's doing fine for a female approaching 50 that never cared to tour. She's the one making a clown out of herself most of the times but we, in general, are also very harsh when it comes to her.
Lmao Triumphant says hello....just because she plans a single for one of her albums and it ends up flopping and she forgets about it pretending it never happened doesn't mean it was never there :lol: it was intended to be a lead single but since it flopped she didn't put it anywhere...cheater cheater
"Through the rain", the lead single from her studio album "Charmbracelet" flopped (#81 on the Hot 100).
Tell 'em! :lol: :lol:
TTR was #1 on the Hot singles sales chart:
Through The Rain #1 (2) / 14 wks / 39 wks
22/02/2003: 1-1-3-4-4-4-3-4-3-4-5-6-8-10-12-13-14-17-22-23-22-20-21-24-22-24-28-28-26-31-33-42-35-33-21-39-48-55 (38 wks)
Re 01 22/11/2003: 71 (1 wk)

The Charmbracelet era still had I know what you want, which can be found on the album's tour-bundle-re-release

I Know What You Want #3 (3) / 11 wks / 24 wks
08/03/2003: 57-39-30-18-14-11-11-8-7-6-6-4-3-3-3-4-7-9-11-14-18-28-39-48 (24 wks)
User avatar
stevyy
Legend
 
Posts: 47936
Joined: Sat May 14, 2005
Location: .dk

Postby MrLeonix » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:28 pm

MusicRecords wrote:Tell 'em! :lol: :lol:
And I'm not sure if "#Beautiful" can pass as a lead single to be honest, it was more of a stand alone single released like a year before she even had an album, the song was later added to the album which lead single was "You're mine (eternal)" which also flopped.
Britney Spears . Michael Jackson . Madonna . U2 . Radiohead . Lenny Kravitz . Led Zeppelin . Daft Punk . Oasis . Eminem . Metallica . Soda Stereo
User avatar
MrLeonix
Legend
 
Posts: 18028
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013

Postby stevyy » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:30 pm

MrLeonix wrote:
MusicRecords wrote:Tell 'em! :lol: :lol:
And I'm not sure if "#Beautiful" can pass as a lead single to be honest, it was more of a stand alone single released like a year before she even had an album, the song was later added to the album which lead single was "You're mine (eternal)" which also flopped.
that's your interpretation... if anything, it would make MIAMTEC a compilation album if what you're saying gets a pass. Which means, she didn't have a studio album since 2010... so what are we debating again?
User avatar
stevyy
Legend
 
Posts: 47936
Joined: Sat May 14, 2005
Location: .dk

Postby LongingHeart » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:33 pm

Mr.Spears you really are the ultimate hater. Thank god I‘ll never see your face in real life. What would your life be about if you wouldn‘t hate on Mariah, Christina and Gaga, stan for Britney (lol) and defend ugly men pigs like DrLuke?
And now, please ukmix let’s do a ignore button
Shame on me for changing.... no no no... shame on you for stayin' the same.
User avatar
LongingHeart
Manager
 
Posts: 2772
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013
Location: Germany

Postby MusicRecords » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:36 pm

stevyy trying to cover up all the shade Mariah is getting :lol:
http://digitalspyuk.cdnds.net/16/32/480x240/landscape-1470732999-pokemon-go.gif
User avatar
MusicRecords
Legend
 
Posts: 10429
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2012
Location: New York City & Vienna

Postby MrLeonix » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:36 pm

LongingHeart wrote:Mr.Spears you really are the ultimate hater. Thank god I‘ll never see your face in real life. What would your life be about if you wouldn‘t hate on Mariah, Christina and Gaga, stan for Britney (lol) and defend ugly men pigs like DrLuke?
And now, please ukmix let’s do a ignore button
Just chill :lol:
Britney Spears . Michael Jackson . Madonna . U2 . Radiohead . Lenny Kravitz . Led Zeppelin . Daft Punk . Oasis . Eminem . Metallica . Soda Stereo
User avatar
MrLeonix
Legend
 
Posts: 18028
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013

Postby stevyy » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:36 pm

Wayne wrote:
Enlighten me Mr Moderator, which opinion has been aggressive?
the wording of her christmas catalogue being dismissed as a part of HER legacy by stating it became bigger than herself. It is a nice excuse to push a narrative - of her being a flop and that her christmas catalogue doesn't count as her music anymore... but if we open the door to that, what gives anyone the right then, to credit other acts with timeless music and not saying... oh well, I will always love you has become much bigger than Whitney herself... people use it for personal heartache.. it therefore doesn't count anymore?

Or what about the Halloween theme, Thriller?

What irks me is that AIWFCIY has been covered dozens of times by dozens of acts and nobody can make it work better than Mariah. If the song is bigger than Mariah, why can't a current act make it a hit?

In the past 5 years, re-certs - you were asking for them - occured in Spain, Italy, Australia, USA, Canada, Japan and of course the UK.. The UK is the most prominent among those because music gets automatically re-certified without a label paying for it. If any of her labels would be willing to pay (and Island is currently the only one doing that), we would see more re-certs (but that's also something which would apply for almost all acts).
Last edited by stevyy on Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
stevyy
Legend
 
Posts: 47936
Joined: Sat May 14, 2005
Location: .dk

Postby stevyy » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:37 pm

MusicRecords wrote:stevyy trying to cover up all the shade Mariah is getting :lol:
http://digitalspyuk.cdnds.net/16/32/480x240/landscape-1470732999-pokemon-go.gif
darling, you need to be a little bit nicer to me. :cry: (quoted from Mariah Carey, 2005)
User avatar
stevyy
Legend
 
Posts: 47936
Joined: Sat May 14, 2005
Location: .dk

Return to The Lounge