The Random Thought Thread

Moderators: Spartan, king_oxymoron

Postby biscuits » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:43 pm

NothingFails wrote:Honestly though, I'd say all of the Friends cast members have turned out better than any of the Desperate Housewives people. Aniston's the only one who is an A-list film star but Cox, Kudrow, Schwimmer, Perry and LeBlanc have all had success on television since. Seems like everyone from DH has fallen off the face of the planet.
That's because DH ended on a low (despite S8 being a solid one). I'd say Eva Longoria is the long-term star from that show. Also, don't forget that the cast of DH (minus Eva) were already established TV stars and a lot older than the cast of Friends when DH started. So it's unfair to compare them
biscuits
The Diva

Postby Guru » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:49 pm

Number of songs streamed in U.S.
(audio & video):

2016: 431 billion
2015: 317 billion
2014: 164 billion
2013: 106 billion

Source: Nielsen
| Ciara | Beyoncé | Janet | Toni | Kelly R | Leona | Tinashe | Whitney | Brandy | Monica | Tevin | Mariah | Britney |
Guru
Guru

Postby MrLeonix » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:50 pm

biscuits wrote:
NothingFails wrote:Honestly though, I'd say all of the Friends cast members have turned out better than any of the Desperate Housewives people. Aniston's the only one who is an A-list film star but Cox, Kudrow, Schwimmer, Perry and LeBlanc have all had success on television since. Seems like everyone from DH has fallen off the face of the planet.
That's because DH ended on a low (despite S8 being a solid one). I'd say Eva Longoria is the long-term star from that show. Also, don't forget that the cast of DH (minus Eva) were already established TV stars and a lot older than the cast of Friends when DH started. So it's unfair to compare them
Yep, all of them (bar Eva) were already in their 40s when the show hit, if anything it was impressive to see women in their 40s reaching a new peak of fame.
Britney Spears . Michael Jackson . Madonna . U2 . Radiohead . Lenny Kravitz . Led Zeppelin . Daft Punk . Oasis . Eminem . Metallica . Soda Stereo
MrLeonix
Legend

Postby NothingFails » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:56 pm

Oooh, I didn't realize Felicity Huffman actually had a newer show on ABC that's getting good reviews. To me, she was the best of the four actresses and I was surprised she didn't get more film roles after Transamerica.

To be honest... it's hard for people to escape the shadow of a blockbuster tv show because when a show gets as big as Friends, Seinfeld, Desperate Housewives, 90210, Sex And The City, Big Bang Theory, etc...., it's hard for an actor to establish an identity that doesn't coincide with the series so many of them remain typecast years later. Julia Louis-Dreyfus finding two hit shows after Seinfeld is the exception to the rule, as we also have Jason Alexander and Michael Richards who are going to forever be known solely as George and Kramer. When Big Bang ends in a few years, this is going to happen big time to Jim Parsons... I can't see him escaping the Sheldon typecast anytime soon.
NothingFails
Legend

Postby Spartan » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:03 pm

I think Aniston was the sweetheart of the show. She was great, and Rachel was one of the most consistent characters but I think Cox and Kudrow are both more well-rounded actresses than her in general. Before The People vs OJ, Schwimmer had done pretty much zilch since Friends. Oddly enough I found LeBlanc and Cox's post-Friends comedies to both be absolutely hilarious and provide more LOL moments than Friends (even if Cougar Town was pretty much FriendsWithWine in the later seasons).
Spartan
Legend

Postby Spartan » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:05 pm

biscuits wrote:
I'd say Eva and Felicity are both doing pretty well in separate media circles. Huffman's earned countless Golden Globe and Emmy nominations from American Crime, and obviously she got her Oscar nod too. Longoria has conquered the celebrity world pretty well. Marcia Cross appeared in Quantico a bit, but nothing else. Teri Hatcher is nowhere to be found, and I doubt anyone would hire Nicolette Sheridan. :lol:

As much as I love Veep and Dreyfus, someone else needs to win the Emmy this year - preferably Anna Faris (or Sutton Foster, but that will never happen).
Spartan
Legend

Postby stevyy » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:08 pm

MrLeonix wrote:
biscuits wrote:
Yep, all of them (bar Eva) were already in their 40s when the show hit, if anything it was impressive to see women in their 40s reaching a new peak of fame.
excusé moi, but the second my goddess Marcia Cross wants to slay TV again - she will slay everyone and their mama.

Much like the emperor of TV shows (Michael C. Hall), Miss Bree VdK starred in 2 major dramas and won / and or / was nominated for major awards for Melrose Place (in which she played the greatest TV show character of all times) and DH.

My top 10 favourite TV characters by female performers are:

1. Dr. Kimberly Shaw Mancini (Psychopath)
2. Alicia Florrick (Lawyer)
3. Karen Walker (Socialite)
4. Nancy Botwin (Drug Dealer)
5. Bree van de Kamp (Author, entrepreneur)
6. Lorelai Gilmore (manager)
7. Monica Geller (Cook)
8. Veronica Mars (PI)
9. Dr. Juliet Burke (MD)
10. Sydney Andrews Mancini Field (Prostitute)
stevyy
Legend

Postby NothingFails » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:12 pm

Spartan wrote:
I think Aniston was the sweetheart of the show. She was great, and Rachel was one of the most consistent characters but I think Cox and Kudrow are both more well-rounded actresses than her in general. Before The People vs OJ, Schwimmer had done pretty much zilch since Friends. Oddly enough I found LeBlanc and Cox's post-Friends comedies to both be absolutely hilarious and provide more LOL moments than Friends (even if Cougar Town was pretty much FriendsWithWine in the later seasons).
I give Schwimmer some leeway because he basically dropped out of acting for a long time after Friends to focus on directing and just started again recently, but he was pretty good in People Vs. OJ Simpson.

Kudrow and Cox I always preferred to Aniston. To be honest, "The Good Girl" is the only movie Jennifer really impressed me in, the only time she wasn't playing some sort of variation of Rachel. Cox and Kudrow seemed to have more layers and could play different roles easier.
NothingFails
Legend

Postby biscuits » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:12 pm

Spartan wrote:I need to finish watching Mom, I think I stopped around halfway through S2 but, in terms of performers, Faris and Janney are outstanding. I know everyone harps on about Allison Janney but Anna Faris deserves just as much credit.
Every actor in the show is so good and well-played, even the younger actors like Roscoe and Violet. The unofficial star is Wendy (you might not know her if you stopped halfway though season 2).
biscuits
The Diva

Postby stevyy » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:15 pm

biscuits wrote:
Spartan wrote:I need to finish watching Mom, I think I stopped around halfway through S2 but, in terms of performers, Faris and Janney are outstanding. I know everyone harps on about Allison Janney but Anna Faris deserves just as much credit.
Every actor in the show is so good and well-played, even the younger actors like Roscoe and Violet. The unofficial star is Wendy (you might not know her if you stopped halfway though season 2).
I really do - now that you said it - love all the characters on the show. I love Wendy. However, I believe that Allison Janney is for TV shows what Meryl Streep is to the big screen. Janney is above them all imho. She's sublime.
stevyy
Legend

Postby NothingFails » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:19 pm

I love all the comment section warriors who argue that "celebrities need to shut up about politics and just stick to what they do best" and yet they were the same people who voted for a celebrity (Donald Trump) who needed to shut up about politics and stick to what he did best himself. :lol: :lol: :roll: :roll:
NothingFails
Legend

Postby MrLeonix » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:27 pm

NothingFails wrote:To be honest, "The Good Girl" is the only movie Jennifer really impressed me in, the only time she wasn't playing some sort of variation of Rachel.
Actually Jennifer's recent role on the film "Cake" (2014) was subject of critical acclaim, she earned a Golden Globe nomination for Drama Actress, she got a SAG award nomination and was predicted to score her first Oscar nomination in 2015 (unfortunately she didn't make it, but she was very close to do so).

While her constant comedy films are tiring, ironically enough between Aniston, Courtney, and Kudrow ... Aniston was the closest one to get an Oscar nomination.
Britney Spears . Michael Jackson . Madonna . U2 . Radiohead . Lenny Kravitz . Led Zeppelin . Daft Punk . Oasis . Eminem . Metallica . Soda Stereo
MrLeonix
Legend

Postby stevyy » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:33 pm

NothingFails wrote:I love all the comment section warriors who argue that "celebrities need to shut up about politics and just stick to what they do best" and yet they were the same people who voted for a celebrity (Donald Trump) who needed to shut up about politics and stick to what he did best himself. :lol: :lol: :roll: :roll:
there is this one person on The View who slammed Meryl for speaking out at the Golden Globes and I was like: shut up b!tch, she was so on point and honest.

That woman from The View then tried to defend Donald mocking a disabled reporter by saying he did not mock him for being disabled, because Donald mocked other people as well during his campaign and I was like: That's why the world laughed at you, America.
stevyy
Legend

Postby NothingFails » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:17 am

Nothing like going to a restaurant and some random 50-60 year old guy sitting alone starts really getting into the theme song to Flashdance when it comes on in the background. Part of me really expected him to start breakdancing during the instrumental break towards the end of the song since he was quiet and as soon as Irene Cara started singing he immediately began to sing aloud loudly and started rocking out to the song... it was amusing. :lol: :lol: :lol:
NothingFails
Legend

Postby cheapthrills » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:01 am

NothingFails wrote:I love all the comment section warriors who argue that "celebrities need to shut up about politics and just stick to what they do best" and yet they were the same people who voted for a celebrity (Donald Trump) who needed to shut up about politics and stick to what he did best himself. :lol: :lol: :roll: :roll:
Not to mention we had an actor who became president that all Republicans seem to worship today. :roll:
My Personal Chart - Cheapthrills' Cheap 20 :)
cheapthrills
Manager

Postby EAI » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:38 am

Lmaoo they worship Regan for no Goddamn reason. If Obama did what Regan did in his presidency, we would never hear the end of it from the republicans.
F*ck off and lose my number.
EAI
Superstar

Postby Crackiswack » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:26 am

Or when they complain and say the economy and state of the country is the worse since 2008

Like what rock were y'all living under to say such fooling things? Last time I checked, 2008 started a huge recession and fvcking gas cost four dollars!!
Please Stop the Music
Crackiswack
Manager

Postby grooveboy » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:35 am

NothingFails wrote:Nothing like going to a restaurant and some random 50-60 year old guy sitting alone starts really getting into the theme song to Flashdance when it comes on in the background. Part of me really expected him to start breakdancing during the instrumental break towards the end of the song since he was quiet and as soon as Irene Cara started singing he immediately began to sing aloud loudly and started rocking out to the song... it was amusing. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Aww...bless him :lol: 8-)
grooveboy
Superstar

Postby Crackiswack » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:28 am

If anyone should have had a spinoff from Friends, it should have been Pheobe.
Please Stop the Music
Crackiswack
Manager

Postby MusicRecords » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:46 am

Anyone else get a message like this from SimpleBoy in regards to the locking of Avril's Warrior thread on Pure Pop? Wtf :lol: :lol:
T̶a̶y̶l̶o̶r̶ ̶S̶w̶i̶f̶t̶ Katy Perry
Swish Swish Bish

My Instagram
:)
MusicRecords
Superstar

Postby flopho » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:51 am

whaaatt :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
he doesn't seem to be simple at all :lol:
Shame on me for changing...no, shame on you for staying the same
flopho
Legend

Postby Rihab » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:12 pm

He also PM'd other long-time Avril stans threatening to get them banned if we don't stop 'insulting' her. Completely psycho.
Rihab
Legend

Postby ArmyOfMe » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:24 pm

Avril topics are THE BE(A)ST
ArmyOfMe
Superstar

Postby spiritboy » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:22 pm

People like him should be banned instantly. :lol:
spiritboy
Legend

Postby MusicRecords » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:12 pm

flopho wrote:whaaatt :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
he doesn't seem to be simple at all :lol:
Rihab wrote:He also PM'd other long-time Avril stans threatening to get them banned if we don't stop 'insulting' her. Completely psycho.
ArmyOfMe wrote:Avril topics are THE BE(A)ST
spiritboy wrote:People like him should be banned instantly. :lol:
Glad I'm not the only one who thinks that :lol: :lol:
T̶a̶y̶l̶o̶r̶ ̶S̶w̶i̶f̶t̶ Katy Perry
Swish Swish Bish

My Instagram
:)
MusicRecords
Superstar

Return to This 'n' That