The Random Thought Thread

Moderators: Spartan, king_oxymoron

Postby Serby » Sun May 03, 2015 10:11 pm

lemo :lol: :lol:

i don't remember we ever learnt a single thing about punctuation in english. I n german, however, they put commas everywhere, but the rules are clear at least.
Serby
Dr. Serby

Postby Timmy94 » Sun May 03, 2015 11:00 pm

mrlemonade wrote:
Timmy94 wrote:@mrlemonade: You wrote before that you consider the job of a teacher as possible option for you. Being scared of students' questions is not the best qualification for that job though :lol: .
I'm already teaching lol, I have far from the best qualifications but idc practice makes perfect, I'm young and all that

and while I'm teaching I'm also actually learning the language because I know everything instinctively but no fcking clue about why something is something in theory. google is my bff. MA Degree in English here I come :'))))
The teacher training really seems to be pretty loose in Croatia then. In Germany, becoming a teacher is really a big thing with all of its requirements, duties and obligations.

Serby wrote:lemo :lol: :lol:

i don't remember we ever learnt a single thing about punctuation in english. I n german, however, they put commas everywhere, but the rules are clear at least.
Well, what's there: listing, relative clauses, a subordinate clause seperated by a main clause or two main clasuses seperated from each other. That's pretty much it already, isn't it?
Je n'ai qu'une philosophie: Être acceptée comme je suis. Malgré tout ce qu'on me dit, je reste le poing levé.

Say no to streaming!
Timmy94
Legend

Postby Serby » Sun May 03, 2015 11:06 pm

Brad, you'll get why I'm mentiong you now. :lol: :lol:

Timmy94 wrote:Well, what's there: listing, relative clauses, a subordinate clause seperated by a main clause or two main clasuses seperated from each other. That's pretty much it already, isn't it?
Is this for English or what? tbh, I'm learning German now, my 3rd foreign language so far and I can tell you that most of the time I don't learn rules per se, it's about getting the feeling for it. What you said now makes close to zero sense to me cuz I don't know what's what. :lol:
Serby
Dr. Serby

Postby Timmy94 » Sun May 03, 2015 11:13 pm

Serby wrote:Brad, you'll get why I'm mentiong you now. :lol: :lol:

Timmy94 wrote:Well, what's there: listing, relative clauses, a subordinate clause seperated by a main clause or two main clasuses seperated from each other. That's pretty much it already, isn't it?
Is this for English or what? tbh, I'm learning German now, my 3rd foreign language so far and I can tell you that most of the time I don't learn rules per se, it's about getting the feeling for it. What you said now makes close to zero sense to me cuz I don't know what's what. :lol:
No, it was supposed to be for German :wink: . Why did you say that the rules are clear if you don't follow the rules but go by intuition? Not sure whether your approach is a good one though since feelings can mislead just as much, while rules are mostly clear (well, some rules have exceptions, but the only thing that helps is to learn them by heart, I guess)...
Je n'ai qu'une philosophie: Être acceptée comme je suis. Malgré tout ce qu'on me dit, je reste le poing levé.

Say no to streaming!
Timmy94
Legend

Postby Serby » Sun May 03, 2015 11:38 pm

Because rules are pure theory, can be confusing and I just don't like them nor find them that helpful in some cases. :lol: I think my punctuation in German is very good, it's quite simple actually.
Serby
Dr. Serby

Postby Virgostar » Mon May 04, 2015 12:15 am

truthless wrote:The "new" in the thread title is... A tad annoying. I don't really get, why the Admin team felt the need, to remove the previous thread completly. But what ever.
First of all, the NEW part is only temporary. I'm going to remove it soon. In fact, I've just done it. :P

Secondly, the old thread is in Test, it hasn't completely gone. Besides, fresh start & all.
Let's embrace the point of no return.
Virgostar
Ex-Admin

Postby ArmyOfMe » Mon May 04, 2015 1:08 am

Timmy94 wrote:
mrlemonade wrote:
Timmy94 wrote:@mrlemonade: You wrote before that you consider the job of a teacher as possible option for you. Being scared of students' questions is not the best qualification for that job though :lol: .
I'm already teaching lol, I have far from the best qualifications but idc practice makes perfect, I'm young and all that

and while I'm teaching I'm also actually learning the language because I know everything instinctively but no fcking clue about why something is something in theory. google is my bff. MA Degree in English here I come :'))))
The teacher training really seems to be pretty loose in Croatia then. In Germany, becoming a teacher is really a big thing with all of its requirements, duties and obligations.
Excuse me, but you don't know anything about where he's teaching English. He could be teaching it at primary school or even as a volunteer as far as we know, where he maybe doesn't need so many qualifications or theorical knowledge.
I've been teaching my own language to immigrants as a volunteer for more than a year and a half, and I was in the same situation. I got better with practice, and it's good to practice something even if you don't have a piece of paper yet that states that you can do it. Theory is theory and practice is practice, and the two should coexist.
ArmyOfMe
Superstar

Postby Timmy94 » Mon May 04, 2015 1:54 am

In Germany, you need to follow a certain teaching programme that includes 3-5 years of college studies (according to the type of school and the subjects you choose) along with a couple of internships, a thesis and final exams, followed by a practical period taking place at school and some kind of training school that goes on for another 1.5-2 years, which ends again with final exams. And only then, you're allowed to work as an officially recognized teacher - even for primary schools!

Say no to streaming!
Timmy94
Legend

Postby stevyy » Mon May 04, 2015 2:04 am

Timmy94 wrote:In Germany, you need to follow a certain teaching programme that includes 3-5 years of college studies (according to the type of school and the subjects you choose) along with a couple of internships, a thesis and final exams, followed by a practical period taking place at school and some kind of training school that goes on for another 1.5-2 years, which ends again with final exams. And only then, you're allowed to work as an officially recognized teacher - even for primary schools!
normally, u have to go to university for 5 years (3 years Bachelor, 2 years Masters) and afterwards, you enter a training period of 18 months which ends with a final exam (second State Examnation). You will only get paid fully when you succeed at all tests and exams... I think €6,6k per month is the most anyone could earn as a teacher in Germany. (half of what the chancellor makes each month). I am entering the training period this August.. yay..

all in all, it takes 6,5 years to finally become a teacher here, which makes this porfession one of highest professions you can have here.
The 5 artists I knew first in my life were: Michael Jackson, Whitney Houston, Mariah Carey, Take That and Elton John
stevyy
Legend

Postby Carbon » Mon May 04, 2015 8:17 am

what ArmyOfMe said, I've never had any prior courses or practice when it comes to teaching, but foreign language schools often hire students as well. I'm learning it all on the go

and now when I'm actually starting to have teaching courses I realize how useless and ridiculous everything here is, and that I would end up having to learn through practice and experience anyway
Ја кријам главата под шалот.
Само на веѓите ми се гледа
дека мислам на тебе.

last.fm
Carbon
Legend

Postby Era » Mon May 04, 2015 8:20 am

So many teachers on UKMIX<3
Era
Legend

Postby ArmyOfMe » Mon May 04, 2015 10:52 am

mrlemonade wrote:what ArmyOfMe said, I've never had any prior courses or practice when it comes to teaching, but foreign language schools often hire students as well. I'm learning it all on the go

and now when I'm actually starting to have teaching courses I realize how useless and ridiculous everything here is, and that I would end up having to learn through practice and experience anyway
Exactly. Keep doing it, I think that's the best way to go.
The process to teach in public schools is very long here too, but what you often meet is unprepared professors that didn't have enough practice. As I said, it's a good thing to balance theory and practice, also because teaching is such a delicate job that doesn't only require knowledge, but also the ability to interact with people. And no Bachelor or Master degree will teach you that.
ArmyOfMe
Superstar

Postby stevyy » Mon May 04, 2015 11:15 am

Era wrote:So many teachers on UKMIX<3
ikr... teaching is the new ukmix mariah... we shud get our own ukmix school of fabulous music taste...and our headmistress is thriller..

i can bring german, german history and english for 2nd language learners to the table.. i also studied french.. so i can do that as well..
The 5 artists I knew first in my life were: Michael Jackson, Whitney Houston, Mariah Carey, Take That and Elton John
stevyy
Legend

Postby Carbon » Mon May 04, 2015 11:23 am

but I do think some people are really naturally great teachers and have more potential and do it effortlessly + one's personality/confidence is also a big thing

I'm definitely not one of those tho :lol: so I'll just have to work harder and longer
Ја кријам главата под шалот.
Само на веѓите ми се гледа
дека мислам на тебе.

last.fm
Carbon
Legend

Postby Era » Mon May 04, 2015 11:27 am

My mom's a teacher and she also takes private tuition classes so I'm used to helping her and teaching Maths & Science to students up to 10th grade. My grandmother is a former government school Principal so it runs in the family haha.

It's the most respected profession after all (along with Doctors)
Era
Legend

Postby stevyy » Mon May 04, 2015 11:28 am

mrlemonade wrote:but I do think some people are really naturally great teachers and have more potential and do it effortlessly + one's personality/confidence is also a big thing

I'm definitely not one of those tho :lol: so I'll just have to work harder and longer
i agree.. i hated all educational courses during my studies.. idk for the history of education and i think it is an unspoken rule and common sense to not psychologically torture kids... hehe... anybody can be a teacher.. all you need is... to like children and the job of explaining things.
stevyy
Legend

Postby stevyy » Mon May 04, 2015 11:29 am

Era wrote:My mom's a teacher and she also takes private tuition classes so I'm used to helping her and teaching Maths & Science to students up to 10th grade. My grandmother is a former government school Principal so it runs in the family haha.

It's the most respected profession after all (along with Doctors)
slay!!! and ur father is a photographer... and u are smarty mcsmartshoes. <3

teachers are awesome.. i mean young, hip, trendy, open-minded, kind teachers. we gonna rule the world one day.
stevyy
Legend

Postby Serby » Mon May 04, 2015 11:53 am

I can only wish teaching was nearly as apprieciated where I come from. Everyone hates teachers, people think tehy only complain, even though they work onyl 20h a week and what not. Not to emntion that street cleaner earns more than teacher...
Serby
Dr. Serby

Postby stevyy » Mon May 04, 2015 2:25 pm

Serby wrote:I can only wish teaching was nearly as apprieciated where I come from. Everyone hates teachers, people think tehy only complain, even though they work onyl 20h a week and what not. Not to emntion that street cleaner earns more than teacher...
it is sad.. bc there is nothing more important, imo than education to ensure a good future. well ok.. love, having parents, being healthy and getting good education.. 8-)
stevyy
Legend

Postby Serby » Mon May 04, 2015 6:14 pm

true tho :lol: anyway, lemme play this and pretend im happily solo
Serby
Dr. Serby

Postby Guru » Mon May 04, 2015 6:40 pm

Serby wrote:Image

true tho :lol: anyway, lemme play this and pretend im happily solo
:lol:
| Ciara | Beyoncé | Janet | Toni | Kelly R | Leona | Tinashe | Whitney | Brandy | Monica | Tevin | Mariah | Britney |
Guru
Guru

Postby biscuits » Mon May 04, 2015 10:05 pm

Crazycrazy's account has been hacked
biscuits
The Diva

Postby flopho » Mon May 04, 2015 10:38 pm

It kinda bugs me how people still confuse Austria and Australia.. :roll:
hope this sorts it out eventually

Shame on me for changing...no, shame on you for staying the same
flopho
Superstar

Postby Plym » Mon May 04, 2015 10:46 pm

poor adelaide and darwin

and that aint yo mommas italy :lol:
Plym
Take Care

Postby Serby » Mon May 04, 2015 10:49 pm

:lol: :lol:

Not Melbourne being downgraded to Linz, everyone says that Linz is super boring. :lol: Also, love it how Oberösterreich is actually on south lol
Serby
Dr. Serby

Return to This 'n' That