The LGBT Community

Moderators: biscuits, Spartan

Postby LJC123 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:09 pm

So who here actually takes prep?!
LJC--->>
LJC123
Manager

Postby Marchum » Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:22 pm

I do! And I still (mostly) have safe sex.
Marchum
Manager

Postby Michiel » Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:01 pm

I do not take PrEP, but I think it is a good method and really helps being proactive about HIV. It should not be a 'passe partout' though, but I highly doubt it is used like that. It is too soon to tell, and there is not enough empirical research about the use. Personally, I think it is a bit off putting (?) when somebody uses it. I am well aware it does not make sense (and is judgemental), but it makes sex feel like very forced and artificial. But his is coming from someone where Grindr does not cut it. It is just not for me, I am too romantic. I tried enough though, but I can't. So I don't see myself using it at some point in my life.
"Common sense is a chaotic aggregate of disparate conceptions, and one can find there anything that one like."
Last.FM
Instagram
Michiel
Legend

Postby aRat » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:20 pm

Marchum wrote:I do! And I still (mostly) have safe sex.
How expensive is it? Do you have to pay for it yourself?
jochen on meeting famous ppl wrote:Janet (very hairy woman)
Beyonce (she was ugly)
aRat
Manager

Postby Marchum » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:22 pm

aRat wrote:
Depends on your insurance. The original cost is up to 3k here In California, however I pay about a grand monthly.
Marchum
Manager

Postby aRat » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:32 pm

Marchum wrote:
aRat wrote:
Depends on your insurance. The original cost is up to 3k here In California, however I pay about a grand monthly.
A grand monthly just so one can do it raw and it doesn't even protect against other STDs but only HIV :o
Sorry but that seems like the biggest scam ever. I would never sign up to that even if I was a millionaire. Condoms forever it is then.
jochen on meeting famous ppl wrote:Janet (very hairy woman)
Beyonce (she was ugly)
aRat
Manager

Postby Marchum » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:39 pm

Calling it a scam is very wrong tho. It’s not a marketing thing that all the gay men should take. There are many reasons that one can start taking PrEP.
Marchum
Manager

Postby clh_hilary » Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:56 pm

MusicRecords wrote:You are a complete snoozefest :lol: :lol:
Of course he can get tons of other STDs in different ways, but he was asking specifically about top/btm and Prep...I was obviously not gonna list the tons of crap he could get from other ways, I assume he knows that obviously u can get stuff like gonorrhea or herpes through different ways...chill :lol: :lol:
I'm a "snoozefest" because I have time and time again offered facts and figures?

Talk about anti-intellectualism.
WhatTheHell wrote:Voice of the truth here!! :(
clh_hilary
Superstar

Postby clh_hilary » Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:17 pm

LJC123 wrote:So who here actually takes prep?!
I do.

Michiel wrote:It is too soon to tell, and there is not enough empirical research about the use.
How much is enough?

aRat wrote:How expensive is it? Do you have to pay for it yourself?
0 for me. The Mexican government gives it to me for free.

If I were to buy the brand-name product, it would cost around $495.51 for 30 pills (a month, or if you take it 4 times a week, almost 2 months; or you could take it "on demand", meaning 4 pills for every sexual encounter).

Generics are very accessible, however, as they could cost c$24 for 30 pills.

aRat wrote:A grand monthly just so one can do it raw and it doesn't even protect against other STDs but only HIV :o
Sorry but that seems like the biggest scam ever. I would never sign up to that even if I was a millionaire. Condoms forever it is then.
It has some effect, though limited, against hepatitis b. And it offers not only better protection against HIV compared to using a condom, but it protects you against scenarios other than consensual sex, eg rape/stealth, sharing needles/unclean needles, medical accidents, blood transfusion etc.

But there are 2 further issues with your use of the word "scam":

1. The medical system is the United States is known to be one of the most cost-inefficient and expensive ones in the world. The failure of Americans to access affordable medication is a failure of the US medical system, not of the medication itself. Regardless, you could buy generics which have been tested and shown to be just as effective for as little as less than $1 a day.

It's equivalent to saying "wow going to the most expensive hospital in the US as a tourist is so expensive, HOSPITALS ARE THE BIGGEST SCAMS EVEEEER".

2. A "scam" is something that cheats you by claiming something it doesn't do. That is nowhere near the truth.
WhatTheHell wrote:Voice of the truth here!! :(
clh_hilary
Superstar

Postby SummerPeur » Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:39 am

PREP is not $1,000......... Maybe in the country you live, ah just read it's Cali, so America, so of course it's that much.

In Australia you can get a months supply for $28. (1 Pill a day for a month).

We also have trials you can be apart of, which provides free PREP for up to 3 years.

Also I would not take 4 pills leading up to a sexual encounter if you want to have unprotected sex. It should be taken every day.
SummerPeur wrote:Time stops for the Kween everytime WBT is performed.
Goldmoney wrote:So does her microphone
SummerPeur
Kylie Overseer

Postby Serby » Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:37 pm

In Austria it's also 1000 euros a month, but at my doctor's place you can get it for 60 euros/month.
be kind to every kind
Serby
Dr. Serby

Return to The Lounge