Portuguese Language

Moderators: biscuits, Spartan

Postby Hugo » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:36 am

Muzikritik wrote:Im flying out to Lisbon for work on Sunday. I travel a bit in my job but it's mainly to France, Spain, Germany and Italy where even some basic phrases have become familiar to English speakers.

Portugese on the other hand? I don't know squat! Haha. Luckily the conference this time is in English but I'll be back to work with my team in November and I'd like to know a few basic things before I get there.
You'll have no problem in Portugal as long as you speak English.

But here's a nice video to get you started.

"King isn't overrated, your fave is just undertalented."
Hugo
HAL 9000

Postby BlueScorpion » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:44 pm

Muzikritik wrote:Im flying out to Lisbon for work on Sunday. I travel a bit in my job but it's mainly to France, Spain, Germany and Italy where even some basic phrases have become familiar to English speakers.

Portugese on the other hand? I don't know squat! Haha. Luckily the conference this time is in English but I'll be back to work with my team in November and I'd like to know a few basic things before I get there.
Hope you feel very welcome in the country. The weather is still OK. Sure our language is hard as f*ck to learn for foreign people but your english will do well in the capital.
You ain't gotta break down,
YOU'RE TOO STRONG!"
BlueScorpion
Superstar

Postby maroon » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:40 pm

Portuguese being hard? :o
It's one of the easiest languages that I've ever studied. Sure I can't speak it well just yet but one can practically understand everything if you know some Spanish and I guess no-one can deny that Spanish is really easy peasy.
maroon
Superstar

Location: Amsterdam (NL) / Gijón (ES) / Rzeszów (PL) / Brno (CZ) / Cork (IE)

Postby BlueScorpion » Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:05 am

Grammatically they are quite different. Portuguese grammar is one of the most complexes in Europe. MANY Portuguese can't master their own language.
You ain't gotta break down,
YOU'RE TOO STRONG!"
BlueScorpion
Superstar

Postby Serby » Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:32 am

BlueScorpion wrote:Grammatically they are quite different. Portuguese grammar is one of the most complexes in Europe. MANY Portuguese can't master their own language.
Oh sis. German alone beats it and not to mention all the slavic languages, our grammar is supper complicated. :lol: and hinagrian, finish etc.
be kind to every kind
Serby
Dr. Serby

Postby maroon » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:11 am

Exactly, Slavic languages are a grammatical hell for foreigners.
Besides, one can communicate without knowing in-depth grammar rules.
Vocabulary is probably crucial in understanding a language, as much as I hate memorising it.
I would say all Slavic and most of Germanic languages are tougher than Portuguese, not to mention most of Asian languages that have other writing systems even though their grammar is usually fairly simple.

For instance in a basic Japanese sentence meaning I AM POLISH one uses 3 different alphabets swapped 4 times!
私はポーランド人です。
respectively: kanji, hiragana, katakana, kanji and hiragana.
maroon
Superstar

Postby Muzikritik » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:31 am

Thanks Hugo and BlueScorpion. I've been to Lisbon once before and was fine with English so I'm sure it will be all good.... just waiting to board my flight now...
Muzikritik
Legend

Postby Hugo » Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:50 pm

The picked the most unattractive Portuguese people on earth to do this shit :lol:

Sintra really is amazing, a fairy-tale of a city.

And that last dude's voice got all tingly, sexy tone.
"King isn't overrated, your fave is just undertalented."
Hugo
HAL 9000

Postby maroon » Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:38 pm

This handsome guy from Recife sounds more like European Portuguese than the Brazilian one to my ears.
I guess I'm just used to the Rio/São Paulo speech, never thought that some Brazilians also make these "sh" sounds as well...
maroon
Superstar

Postby Serby » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:31 pm

Rio makes the sh sound. :lol: carioca is my fav BR accent and easiest to understand. Kinda really dislike Paolistano, the way they roll the Rs is weird tbh.
be kind to every kind
Serby
Dr. Serby

Postby flopho » Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:55 pm

Idgaf how trashy this is, I'm obsessed. Love the verses, they're much stronger than the chorus tbh

Pois sem ter teu carinho
Eu me sinto sozinho
Eu me afogo em solidão
:cry:
¡Eh, mamá!
Me quiero matar
El mundo se va a la mierda
Y no he hecho nada
flopho
Legend

Postby flopho » Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:56 pm

Hugo wrote:

Finally some PT-PT on youtube :lol: :lol:

The one that said "meow" :lol:

"It's like you guys got bored at the end of the word, just like... fronha" and she actually pronounced it correctly :lol: :lol: :lol: actual tears!!!
omg some Joanna in this thread, didn't even notice back then. She has some really funny stuff on her channel and on the inactive "FLAMA" channel
¡Eh, mamá!
Me quiero matar
Y no he hecho nada
flopho
Legend

Postby flopho » Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:57 pm

¡Eh, mamá!
Me quiero matar
Y no he hecho nada
flopho